KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"I would not fly with KLM in the future"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight through Delta in October 2020 to travel to Amsterdam, Netherlands. When I booked the flight I was told to contact KLM to request a bassinet seat since I was traveling with my infant and I would be flying with KLM. I contacted KLM and was assigned economy seats for the flight to Amsterdam. I was also provided with the seat assignments in economy comfort for the return flight to New York. In October KLM informed me that I would need to pay for my husband's seat on the return flight as it was economy comfort and I made that payment. I was not informed at that time that I also needed to pay for my seat assignment. When I arrived at the airport in January for the return flight to New York and checked my bags I was told that I needed to pay 100 euros for my seat, at that time I had no opportunity to then change my seat assignment because that was the only bassinet seat available so I paid the 100 euros. KLM did not inform me about payment for a seat that I was assigned to and then I had no choice but to pay for the seat assignment because I was already at the airport checking in for my flight. I should have been informed in October when I was told that I needed to pay for my husband's seat assignment. I contacted KLM when I returned to NY and they responded weeks later stated that I could not be reimbursed because I wanted to sit next to my husband? My complaint was never understood and they only apologized for taking two weeks to respond to me. They also stated that "Fares are dynamic in nature and not guaranteed. They may change quickly depending on various factors like the period of travel, seats availability, the destination, as well as the number of passengers trying to book that particular fare at the same time. The fares may increase or decrease as per the availability." Fares increase and decrease before purchasing a flight and if there was a change in the cost of my flight I would have been notified. This experience is very disappointing since the KLM staff at the airport and on the airline were great but the customer service before and after have guaranteed that I would not fly with KLM in the future.
RouteAmsterdam to New York
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Crew very friendly and helpful"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | This is a very difficult time for airlines where everything has been cut back. Fortunately the customer service remains of a very high standard and both flights with this airline were extremely pleasant. Crew very friendly and helpful. Aircraft clean. Food service on short haul was good considering this was a short flight. On the longer flight the cut backs are evident but you get a dinner snack pack and a tasty breakfast when you arrive. The dinner appetizer was a hot very tasty pizza slice. A great idea. So thanks to those making the best of a tough period and for keeping your customers happy. I understand it is not easy.
RouteMilan to Bangkok via Amsterdam
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Both legs of my flight were pleasant"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Communication with KLM help center is painful (be prepared!) mostly due to enormously long lags in their answers, but eventually I managed to arrange my flight with a pet. The check-in was extremely thorough and took an hour while all the docs were shown, filled, signed and doublechecked. The staff in Manila is very helpful and attentive, as well as flight attendants along the way. They checked my cat (once even on their own initiative, heartfelt thanks to the flight attendant with a Russian blue cat). Both legs of my flight were pleasant, non-turbulent, with soft landings. Special appreciation to that delicious spinach pies. They did my long flights a lot easier. The set of multimedia was not that bad, too. But getting earphones upon an explicit request is a somewhat strange experience. Drawbacks: economy is quite costly, well over market.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / 777-200
RouteManila to San José via Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2020

"their service and hospitality was truly amazing"

Trip Verified | For my initial flight, I flew one of the COVID-19 pilot test flights with three different stages of testing. I was glad to hear KLM and their SkyTeam Alliance was offering something like this to make travel safer and to lessen the quarantine time once you arrive in the Netherlands. The cabin cleanliness and quality was excellent but it was their service and hospitality that was truly amazing. It was my first international flight and I was flying alone. I unfortunately discovered I get severely motion sick. All the other flight attendants were especially attentive and kind. The entire flight they made sure I had every possible comfort down to an extra pillow or another blanket, soothing tea and ginger sodas, crackers, and were even kind enough to provide me with a motion sickness medicine. I’ve never seen such genuine care and wonderful hospitality on both my outbound and return flights. My return flight was much busier but the crew was still just as kind and attentive, if busier.
AircraftBoeing 747-10 Dreamliner
RouteHouston, IAH to Amsterdam, Schiphol via Atlanta, ATL
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"This airline was like flying with a pauper"

Trip Verified | After a immaculate service and presentation by a certain airline from Qatar to Brazil. This airline was like flying with a pauper. The 777 inside looked tired. The seat pitch was poor and when the person in-front reclines then it becomes uncomfortable. Yes I flew economy. But many airlines provide gracious service in economy. This airline offered none. The tray area was greasy & sticky, old tissues from other passengers inside the magazine holder. A measly small pasta with tiny salad & flavorless dessert. AVOD with no music just pre-recorded podcasts. Cost cutting has been taken too far and service is non-existent. Never again.
RouteSão Paulo to Amsterdam
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Worst experience with an airline"

Trip Verified | Ground staff in Amsterdam tried to offload me. They kept telling me that I won’t be on board of this aircraft. Just got on board after 30 min. intervention, discussion and nightmare waiting time as they eventually found out that my luggage was booked straight through to Sydney (with Cathay). Seriously? My customer complaint with their Customer Satisfaction department got rejected if not totally ignored: Original reply, translated: According to our records, there is no irregularity or other occurrence in relation to your booking. It seems likely that KLM had to check that you could travel. This can sometimes take some time. Due to the current situation in particular, additional audit measures are unfortunately necessary. This is not satisfying as the airline called me 2 days prior to the flight to make sure that I hold all necessary documents to avoid any issues during my travel. Also, these documents were checked even on the first leg, from Stuttgart to Amsterdam. The actions of their ground staff were highly unprofessional, just as their customer service desk. Never again with this Airline. Worst experience with an airline ever.
RouteStuttgart to Hong Kong via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Arrogant and noisy staff"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Arrogant and noisy staff. Extremely old and dirty plane. It was a 6am flight and staff were super noisy chatting loudly at the back of the plane for the whole trip. Staff are also very arrogant and rude when you approach them to ask something. A Finnish women not speaking good English was treated badly and then ignored because of that fact. The plane is extremely old, it must have more than 15 years old and inside it looks horrible because it was also dirty. For a 6am flight that should have been disinfected and during Covid times this is unbearable.
RouteHelsinki to Madrid via Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Service was courteous throughout"

Trip Verified | This is the first flight I took after the whole world locked down. I was slightly anxious due to risks of flight cancellations, covid infection, immigration issues thru transit, etc. When I boarded the plane, I was greeted by an energetic and friendly crew. I would have excused them if they were not in their best mood due to job stress their industry has been going thru. But I appreciated they made us feel welcomed. We flew with the Boeing 787 , so it was a nice and new plane. Service was courteous throughout, so kudos to the team. I also noticed their site has changed and became more appealing and modern looking.
RouteSingapore to Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2020

"KLM only refunded me 22.00 dollar"

Trip Verified | I bought my daughter tickets to come see me here in Germany which I haven't seen her in 7yrs. She is six months pregnant. The German government changed their laws not allowing America's in do to the pandemic plus the airline already changed their flight once. So I asked for a refund so I can buy them a ticket later. These tickets cost over 2000.00 dollar and KLM only refunded me 22.00 dollar.
RouteDetroit to Münich via Paris
Date FlownDecember 2020

"I had an excellent experience with KLM"

Trip Verified | I had an excellent experience with KLM, the crew were just incredible from check in, lounge and on board! Considering how much service is being reduced on other airlines during this COVID time, I was pleasantly surprised to receive my welcome drink and full meal and drinks service. Staff wore masks and gloves for the entire journey, even when resting in galley. I am looking forward to my return leg. Thanks KLM!
RouteAmsterdam to Taipei