KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"very unhappy with KLM"

Trip Verified | Hanover to Vancouver via Amsterdam. I bought a KLM roundtrip ticket online from Germany and paid 1200€ and bought a flexible option. But now, when I want to change my return date, they don’t accept it, despite paying for a flexible changeable ticket. Now, I have to buy a new ticket and I’ll miss this flight completely. I’m very unhappy with KLM.
RouteHanover to Vancouver via Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Seat very thin but comfortable"

(Luxembourg)

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Kigali. Check- in via Whatsapp, seat reservation quite expensive, best seats already taken, inside, not taken seats are blocked. Seat is very thin but comfortable, own touchscreen, but lousy earphones, medium selection of movies etc. Food was disgusting, drink service so so. Toilets extremely small.
RouteAmsterdam to Kigali
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"second class airline service"

Not Verified | Durham Tees Valley to Cape Town via Amsterdam. KLM used to be a first class airline, and having traveled with them for over fifteen years without a single complaint, now find that in the past eighteen months they are devolving into a second class airline service. Passengers part with large sums of money sometimes months in advance of travel and one of the perks used to that the passenger could pick their set at the time of booking. I think a fair gesture give that KLM will have the Customers money in their bank. The the introduction of having to pay for the seat came in. The introduction of a cost for "Preferred" seating. All as KLM say for the interests of travelers by offering more choice. The cessation last September (2018) of the welcome on board drinks service. I did not think that the food could get any worse, but it has. I would like to invite their CEO to try the infamous pizza slice served on the Schiphol to Cape Town flight. A meal I have endured for the past ten years. And now the final straw, the introduction of a "Cost" to check in a bag. How long before a cost to use the toilet, or maybe the cost for the use of a knife and fork. Customers could always use their fingers. Who is thinking up this deplorable degrading service. And try using their Customer Service to complain. Utter utter waste of time. They ask stupid question which can be done through the Flying Blue membership.
RouteDurham Tees Valley to Cape Town via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"really enjoyed all four flights"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Taipei to Lisbon via Amsterdam and return. The ambience of the aircrafts was nice and quiet. The service was good. The seats were very comfortable. The food and drinks were fresh and healthy. I really enjoyed all four flights!
AircraftBoeing 777-300 / 737-800
RouteTaipei to Lisbon via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"The worst customer service"

Not Verified | Copenhagen to Glasgow via Amsterdam. The worst customer service experience of my life belongs to KLM & City Bags. Nevertake a KLM 40 minute transfer through Amsterdam. You might make your flight but if your bags don't you won't see them for days, you'll spend hours on hold waiting to find out nothing and nobody will at any point initiate contact with you. After 5 days of utter incompetence and total indifference from both KLM & City Bags I called the Police. I asked if I could report them stolen, get an incident number and claim my insurance. They called a contact at Glasgow Airport and 20 minutes later I was given the location of the courier and collected the bags myself. I raised a complaint directly with KLM which was closed automatically because the bags were with the courier. They completely abdicated all responsibility and should be held to account for using such a shambolic courier service.
RouteCopenhagen to Glasgow via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"seats terrible to sit and rest in"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Cape Town via Amsterdam. Very mixed experience with KLM. I liked the airline for three reasons, they have nice staff, often very good deals, and it's relaxing in their planes, at least I thought so. On this trip, staff was super-friendly, charming, and pleasant That certainly is a big plus. Food and entertainment were ok, but nothing to speak of. What’s really annoying/disturbing/painful are the seats in their Boeing's. They are terrible to sit and rest in, of lowest possible quality (tray table, for instance, would not fit back in front seat) and super uncomfortable. As most decent European carriers have their Airbus fleet, I haven’t been in a Boeing on a long-haul flight for a while, and I must say it’s just painful. Other than that flights were uneventful and on time.
RouteBerlin to Cape Town via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"threatened to off board me"

Not Verified | Amsterdam to Singapore. Very rude customer service. They threatened to off board me because I was reading my kindle during take off. The hostess was scared the kindle would slip my hand and reach her head. A kindle is lighter than a book (which the other passengers did read) and I would assume if the stop is so strong she would most probably have to handle much more than a kindle slipping from hands. They could not provide any rules around this specific ask and still were threatening to off board.
RouteAmsterdam to Singapore
Date FlownAugust 2019

"horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Amsterdam. Absolutely horrible customer service! They canceled my plane (not delayed just cancelled) making me late for wedding and missing my connection in Amsterdam and now I have no way to get back either and no one there is willing to help! What a joke! Never fly with them.
RouteToronto to Amsterdam

"unscrupulous and devious"

Not Verified | KLM having changed their website earlier this year have made it very difficult for passengers to clearly understand the Terms and Conditions. Having travelled with KLM for over 15 years primarily to Cape Town and Europe have always understood that the cost of the ticket includes one checked in bag per person (23kilos) and hand baggage. My wife and I have just fallen foul of their atrocious web site after all of these years of loyal travel with them. Having travelled down to Cape Town we had to pay for a check in bag on the return flight at a cost of £60.00 in addition to the ticket. As I am a Flying Silver member I am entitled to an extra checked in bag which they refused and insisted that my wife had to pay for her bag. It transpires that many customers are falling foul of this new rule. So, anyone travelling with KLM beware. This is an unscrupulous and devious behaviour. I have spent all day complaining in writing and they now say one of the bags was one kilo over weight. But say nothing of the bag which was only 16kilos. This was never brought to our attention at check in. My combined check is 46 kilos. KLM have also reduces the on board staff making the inflight service very very slow. They have ceased the welcome on board drinks service, very welcome on a long haul flight. Reduced the standard of the food. Introduced a cost for selecting a preferred seat (standard seat) which used to be free for passengers booking ten months in advance which considering KLM have banked the money is a small reward for passengers booking early, The food quality has diminished considerably. This was not a good end to an enjoyable break. We used to sing the praises of KLM. But no longer. Having just checked our trip with KLM for February 2020, we have discovered we have no checked in baggage for the outward bound flight, but do have checked in luggage for the return flight. Come on KLM what on earth are you up to?
RouteCape Town to Teesside via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Will never fly them again"

Trip Verified | Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam in July. Worst flight of my life. Had a passenger get on and worst body odor ever, it literally made me ill. Flight attendants thought it was funny. Sprayed light mist in my area and then laughed when I sat on flight attendant jump seat for 4 hours. Would not move me and I offered to pay for any other seat on the plane. Could not eat, drink, or do anything the entire flight. I have contacted KLM multiple times about this and they don't care. Will never fly them again. Flight attendants did their basic duties and that is all - no interest in helping me. Cannot rate the food, drink or entertainment as I could not eat or drink due to the overwhelming smell.
RouteKilimanjaro to Amsterdam