KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"Badly organised in Vienna."

Trip Verified | Booked assistance for my 84-year old mother. Badly organised in Vienna. Since we were not able to check in online with only hand luggage, the whole advantage of travelling light, went up in smoke. At the desk the assistance request was unknown so we had to wait for 20 minutes for a wheelchair 'somewhere near the window'. Once the wheelchair arrived it was fine. Whisked through the very busy security and to the gate. Plane was delayed by almost an hour. First on board on our premium economy seats. They are supposed to have more legroom but I was unable to compare. Friendly crew served a sandwich and two drinks. Information in English only which is effective, but typical Dutch: we don't care much about our language. Would be unthinkable with Air France for example. On landing in Amsterdam only 20 minutes late we were supposed to deplane row by row, but that doesn't work. Greeted at the gate by a very friendly guy with wheelchair. All in all okay.
RouteVienna to Amsterdam
Date FlownOctober 2021

"They don't do what they promise"

Not Verified | Their Platinum service has decreased terribly the last 1-2 years. They don't do what they promise, you cant get them to upgrade over the phone with miles, but tell you it can be done at the airport when flying back, which was not the case. They change a ticket even if told not to touch it. Also they never refunded 25.000 miles on a ticket that was changed/cancelled (by them) KLM used to have great Platinum service, but not anymore.
RouteOrlando to Aalborg via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"impossible to check in online"

Trip Verified | First, it was impossible to check in online. 2nd, due to the inability to do online check ins, the queue was very long. 3rd, someone from our travel group was put on standby. We noted at least 7 people on standby. This is bewildering - the autumn holidays is known to everyone including KLM, yet this airline chooses to over book at this time. The air crew was polite and nice though.
RouteAmsterdam to Berlin
Date FlownOctober 2021

"time moved back without informing us"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | I received from KLM misleading SMS and Messenger information about the delayed departure time (delay by 3,5 hrs). So we came 2 hrs before the new time, but missed the flight, since the departure time moved back without informing us. There was at least 10 other passengers in the same situation. This information let to a lot of frustration, disappointment about the KLM non existing service, hardly any sleep overnight on the Schiphol airport sitting on bench till my next Easyjet flight (I was so lucky to take last from 3 empty seats). Not speaking about the hopeless efforts to communicate with KLM artificial intelligence (to wish) until now. It would be nice if KLM provides passengers with full and reliable info, so that this doesn’t happen.
RouteAmsterdam to Prague

"good value for money"

(Vietnam)

Not Verified | Flew Copenhagen to Kigali via Amsterdam on my birthday 13th Oct. 2021. Both flights on time or early. Luggage handled perfectly and smoothly. Check-in at desk in CPH smooth (Sky Priority) but other passengers had long waiting times. Lounges provided prior to both departures. Boardings / deboardings were easy and on jetbridges, except when leaving at final destination. Leg 1: CPH-AMS In Copenhagen airport, lounge was provided to Aviators’ Atelier Relaxium Business Lounge – hard name to remember. Surprisingly, it was open even at these inhuman ultra-early morning hours from 05 a.m. The lounge was good with solid buffet breakfast, mainly cold, tasty sandwiches on newly baked, hot bread, “rundstykker”. Aircraft was a well maintained B737-8. Despite being full, the service onboard was granted smoothly, including a good variety of snacks and cold and hot drinks. To my surprise, KLM had learned that I had birthday and congratulated me by name in front of other passengers in the fully packed aircraft. They then provided a handwritten, personal greeting and gave me a bottle of champagne on a tray with a design glass. Nice touch and icebreaker in an otherwise cold, surly, silent, morning atmosphere at 6 a.m. Lounge in Amsterdam provided was the KLM Sky Team “Lounge 52” in non-Schengen area. Very, very impressive design, views. Spacious was incredible. Must be the biggest lounge in Europe with 1500 seats? The drinks and dining was not up to the lounge appearance. No Asian dishes available, even noodles. Only one beer brand is offered in the entire lounge: Heineken – they must have paid a lot for this monopoly? 1st floor a la carte restaurant (food for purchase) while downstairs all the buffets and bars and other “areas” dominates. Leg 2: AMS-KGL On an A330 ageing plane. Flight arrived on time, though departing 20 min. late. Smooth seating and embarking procedures. Was greeted by name. Elite status and some ground work in Lounge with KLM eventually earned me an entire row for myself (4 seats) which was appreciated in an almost full plane though IFE was not working in that row. IFE was poor, old, and many passengers could not make it work. WiFi was present but neither really useful nor accessible. FAs were walking around in raincoats making them sweat, ridiculous, slow, and uncomfortable. Two hot meals were provided within this 8-hours trip. Food quality was substandard, just palatable. I had prepaid a special “Celebration Meal” which was delivered to perfection, but the food quality was not up to specifications and turned out to be just palatable. The meal costed me 35 USD which was not worth it as I was consequently, unknowingly deprived of the standard meals as for other passengers. Drinks were provided from trolley but not really flowing, and, outside meal service times, only if passengers actively requested them were they accessible. Coffee, tea and deserts were also of poor quality. In conclusion KLM is still a legacy carrier. The trip provided good value for money as I paid only 500 USD for the ticket (t/r), returning a couple of days prior to X-mas.
AircraftBoeing 787-8 and A330
RouteCopenhagen to Kigali via Amsterdam
Date FlownOctober 2021

"rude and ignorant cabin staff"

Not Verified | Worst service I ever had. I upgraded my flight to business class hoping to get a comfortable flight. Instead I felt like I'm traveling a budget airline. Despite cabin being half full, attendants were always busy with something else except passengers. No welcome drink was offered, like other airlines do. After I asked for it, flight attendant brought me only part of what I asked, saying "I didn't know you asked for something else". Empty glasses were removed after almost 4 hours sitting on my table. I didn't get a breakfast before landing, per flight attendant "because you were slipping at that time", but I saw staff passed me 4 or 5 times. When I asked for a breakfast I was told that we do not have anything except some leftovers (wonder where food has gone). Food itself looked like a fastfood. Overall impression: rude and ignorant cabin staff, avoid KLM.
RouteAmsterdam to New York
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"8000 rupees for additional baggage"

Not Verified | The customer service was horrible at the airport counter during check in at the Delhi Airport. I had a backpack and laptop bag which were way under the allowed weight limits. My back pack was a hiking backpack that could be folded in half and clipped together if there were less content in the bag. Since I was carrying only a few things I had folded and clipped the backpack. They opened it up, stretched it and measured the backpack which was then a couple cms more than the allowed height. I asked them that I could fold the bag cause it was almost empty and they said that the 'original' size of the bag should be considered which did not make sense at all. When I argued that it could be folded and if not, its still 2 cms longer - they brought down more staff to pressure me into paying 8000 rupees for additional baggage fee, when the weight was under the allowance. They were very rude and did not listen to me. Never again. Worst experience ever.
RouteDelhi to Mexico via Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"luggage was never loaded onto the flight"

Trip Verified | Flew KLM from Atlanta to Kuwait through Amsterdam. My luggage was booked all the way to Kuwait but it was never loaded onto the flight from Atlanta. Now I have been stuck for several days in Kuwait with only the clothes I wore while traveling. KLM has done nothing to ensure that my luggage is sent to me. I would think that an airline could read the final destination luggage tags to ensure that luggage gets to the traveler. However, in This case KLM has not helped in any way to get my luggage to me. They made the error and have not rectified the situation in any way, shape or form.
RouteAtlanta to Kuwait via Amsterdam
Date FlownOctober 2021

"What happened with their customer service?"

Trip Verified | Two times flew with KLM - and really never again. What happened with their customer service? It's worse than terrible - it's non-existent. One of my KLM flights was delayed and we had a very short connection. I was told by KLM crew when we were in air that I won't make it to the next plane (also with KLM) and to go and exchange my ticket. They didn't even let me disembark from the plane first so I could try to make it to the next leg. The service desk they directed me to was an automated kiosk that offered me a flight in 24 hours! I then had to find a service desk with people and wait for 45 min to be served. The customer service representative then told me that apparently I would have made it to the plane if I ran and questioned me about who told me that I was not going to make it to the plane. Lesson learned - do not trust what KLM flight crew tells you. My other flight that I booked on a different date (with a much longer connection) - the ticket says I can change the dates at any time. When you go to the app, it says "sorry, you cannot change online, please contact us". After 1.5h on the phone waiting for them to pick up - no response. Their so called "24/7" social media customer service is of course also non-responsive. It's an absolute joke. Another lesson learned - avoid flying with KLM if you value your time (and money).
RouteLondon to Saint-Petersburg
Date FlownJune 2021

"staff at the airport were terrible"

Trip Verified | Hugely disappointed with KLM at Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport. Flying with them was fine, but the staff at the airport were terrible. I arrived at the airport 2 hrs pre-departure, plenty of time considering I had checked in online and wasn't checking a bag. The queue to check-in/get my boarding pass was a disaster - not moving for 40 mins, and then at a snail's pace for another 45. Every passenger seemed to have a problem & huge delay, but more consequentially, the staff were just slow, and far, far too relaxed. There was no organisation of the queue or the time being taken. Eventually I went to the neighbouring line, supposed to be for another flight, where the staff I dealt with started to produce my boarding pass (all I needed!), but got distracted and left me. Another one finally gave me the boarding pass, and at this time all my delay margin had been used up, and I had to run through control and to the security at the (distant) gate, sweating, breaking my carrier bag, creating the worst possible start to a long, multi-stop journey. Every individual staff member I dealt with at the check-in desk was: rude, unhelpful, completely apathetic whether I caught my flight or not, unprofessionally having relaxed conversations with colleagues while ignoring passengers - all who were anxious directly because of them. The system itself must also be questioned where slower, bag-dropping passengers are queuing with those already checked in and are not expecting such a slow line. A group of kids ahead of me in the queue - who caused much of the delay - were fast-tracked to the gate, I wasn't given that option despite being behind them, and barely told which direction to walk in (getting a scoff when I asked). Again - the staff on board - fine, efficient and friendly and the service is good, and the pilot's communication excellent. But Belgrade's check-in staff - with their incompetence, unprofessionalism and lack of regard, caused massive stress, and ruined my day.
RouteBelgrade to Dublin via Amsterdam