KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"the worst customer service I have ever received"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | The airline canceled the flight, and it was nearly impossible to speak with a customer service agent capable of switching me to a different flight. I was not able to switch my flight on the website because of the type of luggage I was bringing, so I was forced to deal with their extremely rude and unknowledgeable customer service agents. I ended up being on the phone with them for hours. I was transfered around and spoke with several different agents, all of which gave me different answers about flight availabilty and refunds available. When one of their very unintelligent agents finally switched my flight to a new date, he also changed the baggage policy and wouldn't tell me why. When I asked if I could add another piece of luggage, he said "Thanks for calling", then just hung up. I am a very active flyer and have flown with many different airlines, but this was the worst customer service I have ever received, and will avoid flying with KLM in the future. I will happily spend double the money to fly with a half-decent airline.
RouteKyiv to Madrid via Amsterdam
Date FlownApril 2020

"cabin crew was very friendly"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur. The cabin crew was very friendly, which is a good thing for me who is a nervous flyer. The seat is comfortable for a tall person, and spacious. The food was okay for me.
RouteJakarta to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownDecember 2019

"couldn't reach customer service"

Not Verified | Lusaka to Zurich via Amsterdam. Disastrous. Got a notice that my return flight from Zambia to Zurich was cancelled two days before flying without any alternatives. They have no office in Zambia. I couldn't reach customer service via Whatsapp, Email or phone service, I tried to call them for 4 days countless hours. The online rebooking tool didn't work, just told me to call customer service. That was even before Zambia had reported cases of Corona so all other airlines were still flying. I ended up waiting until the very last minute and as I couldn't reach them and the German embassy issued a statement that travellers should leave the country immediately I purchased a list minute one-way flight with another airline back to Zürich over Nairobi, London, Paris and Geneva for a very very high price. If anyone has an idea how to get this money back, please let me know. Still haven't heard from KLM despite writing to them. Of course, this is an exceptional situation for all airlines but just dumping people somewhere. I mean. Never imagines such a big airline could behave like this.
RouteLusaka to Zurich via Amsterdam

"disappointed in KLM"

Trip Verified | Booked to return from Malaysia to Amsterdam on 31/03/2020. Flight cancelled by KLM one week prior to departure, the reason being Coronavirus. No options given except refund voucher to the value of the flight. I appreciate the problem the airlines are currently having, however: 1. KLM had a daily service to Malaysia. However, they reduced this by half in the two weeks before my flight was due to depart. Last KLM flight from Malaysia was on 28/03/2020 although both Kuala Lumpur and Amsterdam airport remained open thereafter. 2. I repeatedly tried to reschedule (bring forward) on the KLM website, but it would not allow. I did have a very basic economy ticket, but the website advised that all change costs were being waived by KLM in the current circumstances. But still not allowed to change. 3. If KLM had allowed me to reschedule and if they had kept their daily service up to 28/03/2020, I and numerous other KLM customers could have safely travelled with KLM. 4. I am of the opinion that the reasons behind the cancellation were purely financial; KLM calculated it was cheaper to cancel the tickets outstanding rather than send aircraft to Malaysia to pick up the passengers (many of whom would have very cheap tickets). A very cynical attitude from a major aviation operator when people are understandably anxious in the circumstances. I was able to buy a ticket on Malaysia Airlines (who were truly excellent in the circumstances) however I know there were many other people who were having great difficulty in getting/affording an alternative flight. Very disappointed in KLM, an airline that I have used for over 25 years both for business and pleasure and where once I had a platinum flyer card.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2020

"they even didn't say sorry"

(Lithuania)

Not Verified | They lost my and my wifes baggage. The worst thing is not that they lost it, but how they treated after. Nobody cares, not answering emails or Facebook support by messenger. We received our baggage by own expenses from destination airport after almost one week and they even didn't say sorry. I only got email with 'case closed' and etc. They are not as royal as they pretend.
RouteVilnius to Arusha via Vilnius
Date FlownMarch 2020

"no charge for the phone"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Bergen to Moscow in economy class on a very old plane, the seats are bad and not comfortable. There is no charge for the phone. There is almost no food, there are drinks, but the choice is not large. We were treated to a cake in honor of the 100th anniversary
RouteBergen to Moscow
Date FlownOctober 2019

"There is almost no food"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Moscow to Amsterdam on a very old plane, the seats are bad, sitting is not comfortable. There is no charge for the phone. There is almost no food, there are drinks, but the choice is not large.
RouteMoscow to Amsterdam
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Thin seats, not soft enough"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta. This is an intermediate flight from Europe. Big new plane. Thin seats, not soft enough. Offered a warm appetizer and drinks to choose from. There were not many passengers.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Jakarta
Date FlownMarch 2020

"they couldn't rebook this flight"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Bergen to Denpasar via Amsterdam. I was meant to get a flight after this one on Thursday. Without notifying us. Luckily we saw it in the app. No information in the app. We also went to talk to KLM at the airport two hours before since they've cancelled part of our flight before. Amsterdam to Bergen. They said they couldn't rebook this flight cause the next flight was full. However you could still book this flight in KLM's app to a nice 800 euro. I showed the women this and she still said no. I've had minor problems with airlines before but the way handled this is just to absolutely disgraceful. We tried to contact them by calling them in Sweden, Australia, Indonesia and Norway. Always the same. 10 minutes then they said sorry all our operators are busy. Also tried contacting them through messenger, whatsapp and fc. I know these are tough times but dont cut your staff til 20 percent and cancel flights and dont respond anywhere.
RouteBergen to Denpasar via Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2020

"cancelled without decent reason"

Not Verified | Lima to Zürich via Amsterdam. My access to a flight I paid (transatlantic flight for 1100€) was cancelled without decent reason or informing me. The day before the flight KLM even accepted an additional piece of luggage for 85€ for the flight they knew I wasn't allowed to take.
RouteLima to Zürich via Amsterdam