KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

"I begged for an answer once, twice, thrice"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | This was, hands down, the most out-of-this-world idiotic experience I’ve had in quite some time. I have contacted CS because KLM has allowed me to book and pay for a flight they then showed canceled in the confirmation page. Was this designed to trick me into paying for something that isn’t available to then rebook me on an option nobody wants, perhaps. Or perhaps it was an issue of the internal system not correctly showing customers real-time information. In either case, it’s their fault and it felt irritating. The agent offered me a second option which I confirmed I wanted, proceeded to book me, and then two seconds later informed me that that flight too was canceled. Either a sick joke, I thought to myself, or complete incompetence. However, the agent then came up with a list of other options, all that were not ok for me because were arriving either too late in the night or they had me sitting 7+ hours in layover. At one point, however, they came up with an option that was more than impossible and then simply proceeded to book me and send me a confirmation without waiting for me to even reply. Why I say this option was impossible is because the connection flight was leaving at 10.40 while the first flight there leaving after that, at 14.40. You then understand how it’s impossible for me to bend physics and time and space continuum, to catch a flight that leaves hours after I’m supposed to catch my second. Total insanity. Upon insistent questioning I didn’t get even one apology, but a passive-aggressive message informing me to make up my mind quickly because all the available flights get booked quickly. The option the agent had next for me was a flight that seemed familiar, until I realized it was the exact flight they offered the second time - the flight that they booked and then informed me it was already canceled. So this person was offering to book me on a canceled flight, once more. This, my dear reader, is when I lost the will to live in this nightmare. I asked them if they were simply mocking me at this point. I begged for an answer once, twice, thrice, as they weren’t answering my messages at this point. After about 45 min the agent comes back, untroubled and provides me with another 2 options - one of which was again not possible due to limitations in the fabric of space and time. I gave up and agreed to one of the options that required me to spend 5 hours in layover, thinking it’s better than the rest of eternity in this purgatory. Now, you judge my experience and how many stars it deserves, but I for one cannot comprehend the level of absurdity I was forced to endure for about 7 hours while on your Customer Service messenger line.
AircraftEmbraer 190
RouteBucharest to Amsterdam via Stockholm
Date FlownDecember 2020

"our booking had not been paid for"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | We booked two business class seats for travel on January 7th from DPS to SIN and return SIN to DPS on the 9th of January. Payment was by bank transfer and received 2 immediate confirmations; an email from Permata Bank confirming that the money was transferred successfully to KLM's bank account; the 2nd email was from KLM with booking confirmation (UKLFCP) complete with seat numbers (1A and 1C). We got to the airport (DPS) at 7pm for a 9.30pm departure, only to be told on check-in that our booking had 'not been paid for'. We showed the check-in staff our booking confirmation and the email + text from our bank confirming that the payment had been received by KLM. After being refused travel, we called the duty manager at DPS , who appeared to take great delight as he told us we 'didn't have a ticket'. We showed him our payment confirmation and booking confirmation, which mentions ticket conditions, etc. Yet he refused to allow us to check-in. We asked him to call KLM in Holland but instead he called Air France who could not help. By this point, we had been at the customer service desk for more than an hour and a half and were unable to reach a single KLM staff member other than the passive-aggressive station manager who told us that the only way we could travel on the flight was to buy two more economy tickets (business class was full). He told us to try and book the flight online on our phones which we tried to do, having absolutely no choice to not travel (my husband's Indonesian visa meant that he had to leave Bali on the 7th, or face a hefty fine. We also had an appointment at the Indonesian embassy to get our permanent residency for Indonesia). At the same time, our phone showed that KLM was still advertising business class seats on the same flight! We tried to book those but KLM's online payment facility failed. We asked the station manager if he would let us pay for those business class seats which were still being advertised online through the customer service desk (remember we had already paid for two business class return tickets). The station manager refused to let us do that and forced us to buy two economy return tickets, for 13,501,200 RP. Our original payment for the two return business class tickets on Dec 21st was 14,340,800 Rupiah (over $1000 USD). To add insult to injury, as we were leaving the desk, we asked for a pass to the lounge to grab a quick drink and perhaps a sandwich (we'd been at the desk now for almost 2 hours). The staff said, 'you are traveling in economy'. During this process, we sent several requests for help via the KLM WhatsApp number; sending them copies of our proof of payment and booking confirmation. They did not respond for almost 2 hours and when they did, they told us that the case had been 'resolved' at the check-in desk, which of course it had not. We purchased business class tickets on Garuda to travel back from SIN. We launched a complaint to KLM. On February 18th, KLM offered us €600 euros compensation each, but on February 19th, we received the following email from KLM customer services agent 'Regarding the Denied Boarding Compensation, the legislation does not apply for trips out of Europe (DPS-SIN). Hence, I must revise what I have previously stated, and I do apologize for that. For those above reasons, this situation does not entitle you to compensation.'
RouteDenpasar to Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"wasn't at all what we had booked"

Not Verified | On January 24 we booked a trip on KLM from Bergen, Norway to Barcelona, Spain, for travel on September 2. We booked long ahead of our travel dates to get a good schedule at a good price. Our trip was KLM 1188, departing Bergen at 2:10pm and arriving in Amsterdam at 3:55pm, and KLM 1675, leaving at 4:45pm, and arriving in Barcelona at 6:50pm. We expected to have a nice, leisurely morning before heading to the airport. However, on March 30, we received two emails indicating that our flights had been changed. The first email stated that we were being changed from KLM 1675 to KLM 1681, leaving Amsterdam at 8:35pm and arriving in Barcelona at 10:45pm, making it impossible to make any connection to our final destination. Our layover in Amsterdam was changed from 50 minutes (a little short, but it's what we chose) to 4 hours and 40 minutes. Then, 90 minutes later, the second email stated that we had been changed from KLM 1188 to KLM 1186, leaving Bergen at 11:35am and arriving in Amsterdam at 1:20pm. Now we were not only arriving in Barcelona quite late, but our layover was changed to 7 hours and 15 minutes. This wasn't at all what we had booked, and was the first instance of poor customer support -- and we only chose KLM on Travelocity because it met our needs, not because of a specific desire to fly that airline. Unfortunately, due to other obligations, I studied KLM's flight choices on April 2, three days later, and tried to change my flights at that time. Travelocity assisted at this point, for quite a long time, but ran into problems with KLM. I stated that the first flight was acceptable, but that we'd prefer the second flight be changed to KLM 1673, departing Amsterdam at 2:15pm. This would change our layover in Amsterdam to 55 minutes, and restore the trip duration to something very similar to our original trip. Instead, KLM decided that our original flight was most comparable (in price or class) to a flight leaving at 6:05am! They would only change our tickets to KLM 1184 leaving Bergen at 6:05, and KLM 1669 leaving Amsterdam after a 2 1/2 hour layover. (And, they charged a few dollars per ticket, extra, for the privilege of this horrible start time, and longer trip.) I was informed after the fact, by Travelocity, that I should have contacted an airline within a day of being notified of unacceptable flight changes (and I'll do so in the future!), but this wasn't my highest priority in those few days. What's most irritating, however, is that not only did KLM somehow think that changing a trip duration from less than 5 hours to more than 11 hours was "reasonable", but that the final resolution of moving a flight from 2pm to 6am was all that was offered. I'd heard that KLM was a decent airline, and we'll find out for ourselves in September, but this customer experience makes it very unlikely that they'll get our business for any of our future travels.
RouteBergen to Barcelona via Amsterdam
Date FlownApril 2021

"I had very pleasant and smooth flights"

Trip Verified | By now I board KLM flights with high expectations and, once again, I had very pleasant and smooth flights. As the customer you feel in very goods hands, brand-new spotless aircrafts on both segments, thoughtful hygiene measures, decent food and drinks. Yes, it used to better in the past, and the entertainment is limited, but with all the logistics and extra-costs these days I am just super thankful that KLM goes out of its way to make short and long distance travel possible again. With many airlines still mostly grounded and in coma, the world oldest running airline is, once more, an air pioneer, at least for us in Europe.
RouteBerlin to Curacao via Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Somehow I did not expect much"

Trip Verified | 3rd time on KLM flight, 2 times flew on City Hopper with unpleasant experience and this time on World Business. Decided to try their long-haul flight and it turned out different from my last experience, although on this flight there was 1 person out of many who's still have that attitude. It make me wonder if there is difference between city hopper and world business cabin crew's quality or is it just service inconsistency? Somehow I did not expect much based on previous flight experience with them. One item on the menu was not enough to cater its business class passengers, therefore I had to choose another option. Perhaps because of the ticket booked on the same day of departure. Unlike any other airlines I have flown on, the food on this flight were served in little tiny portion but tasty. Should there be any chance to fly them in near future, would give it another try to experience other crew and service to another destinations.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteCuracao to Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2021

"The flight attendants did not seem happy about doing their job"

Trip Verified | I flew with KLM from Mexico City to Zurich via Amsterdam. I will go over my thoughts about the experience point by point: (1) Both the Mexico City and KLM have a mask requirement, so obviously I was wearing one, and also I had additional masks in my hand luggage. However, KLM's ground staff in Mexico City asked me if I had a mask (ignoring that I was very obviously wearing one), and when I asked to clarify, they incorrectly claimed that KLM requires FFP2 medical masks to be worn. While I did have such a mask with me, KLM does not actually have such a requirement (see https://www.klm.nl/en/information/faq/airport-on-board). In challenging times such as the COVID pandemic, it is more important than ever to know the rules and to be respectful to customers, which KLM didn't do. (2) The aircraft interior on both flight legs (Mexico City to Amsterdam and Amsterdam to Zurich) looked tired and old. The flight attendants did not seem happy about doing their job. (3) KLM Crown Lounge 25 in the Amsterdam airport had a sign that it was closed at 2 pm. My flight arrived at 3 pm and I had a connection time of almost 6 hours. (By the way, the airside hotel YOTELAIR did not have any short term stays available, and Aspire Lounge 26 only allows access three hours before a flight.) As a result, I had to walk around the airport and sit in crowded areas, which is not good in terms of social distancing. (4) On the flight leg from Amsterdam to Zurich, I was given a hand sanitizing gel only quite a while after the meal and the drink, making it useless. Overall, considering Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is also not as attractive as it used to be, I will avoid flying with KLM in the future.
RouteMexico City to Zurich via Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2021

"supervisor and staff were so rude and arrogant"

(Namibia)

Trip Verified | I wanted to check in for a flight from Johannesburg to Amsterdam. Telephonically KLM had confirmed that a study visa will be sufficient to enter the Netherlands under Covid restrictions. At the check in counter, to my genuine surprise, they rudely and arrogantly tell me that I am not entitled to check in because a study visa is not sufficient. The supervisor and staff were so rude and arrogant, I will never fly with this airline again!
AircraftBOEING 777-300ER
RouteWindhoek to Amsterdam via Johannesburg
Date FlownMarch 2021

"I have never seen less"

Not Verified | There are so many things to day about KLM, the oldest passenger airline in the world. It has kept the same quality for many years, and it is a great representation of Dutch efficiency and thrift. So many reasons to fly them, so many reasons not to as well! But today, I want to rant about one thing: the KLM “entertainment” system. It is indeed entertaining to see a major airline with this ridiculous selection of TV and film choices. Imagine you have flown any airline at all (ok, not Ryanair, but you know what I am talking about!): you probably get a system with at least 5-10 comedy, and as much Drama and Lifestyle and Docu options, usually a full season. Then you get at least 5-7 full “box sets” (entire TV shows). I have never seen less. For films, by my count the average is 50-70 films, with about 5-10 new films, and staples like Harry Potter or ET and things of the sort. Now, we have KLM’s entertaining system: Two episodes of of TV comedies. I kid you not. Two single episodes! Three episodes of Drama shows. Three full seasons (season 2 of the Handmaid’s Tale!). Four episodes of “lifestyle” Five episodes of “docu” (incl two KLM promotionals!) Films: 30 films total, including “children’s programme” featuring a ridiculous KLM aircraft, Docus, promotionals, etc, the highlight of which is Benjamin Button! There is not a single film that a blind man doing sentence in a dark cell in Burkina Faso had not seen. I mean, how many people want to see Yogi Bear? I am glad I have an ipad.
RouteAmsterdam to Los Angeles
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Loyalty doesn't always pay off"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Das mag tausend gute Erfahrungen geben, aber wenn man selbst betroffen ist, und das nun schon mehrmals, und das kann eben sowieso jedem jederzeit passieren, ist man verloren. Keine Hilfe, hirnlose Verweise auf Ihre Internetseite, keinerlei persönliche Hilfestellung, das alles im Ausland, bei dem nicht immer stabile Wifi Verbindungen vorhanden sind. Schade, jahrelang gerne KLM geflogen, demnächst werden wohl andere mein Geld kriegen um ihre Gesellschaft und ihre Arbeitsplätze am Leben zu erhalten. Auch PanAm war mal toll, wie so viele andere. Warum man daraus nicht lernt, wird sich mir nie erschliessen. Aber nicht meine Gesellschaft, nicht mein Arbeitsplatz. Treue zahlt sich eben nicht immer aus. Demnächst dann statt Service und einstiger guter Erfahrung nur noch Ticketkauf beim billigsten Anbieter. Beschissener kann auch dort der Service nicht sein und vielleicht gehöre ich dann da zu den tausenden, die auch mal gute Erfahrungen machen. - That may be a thousand good experiences, but if you are affected yourself, and have done so several times, and that can happen to anyone at any time, you are lost. No help, mindless references to your website, no personal help, all of that abroad, where stable WiFi connections are not always available. It's a shame, I enjoyed flying KLM for years, soon others will probably get my money to keep their company and their jobs alive. PanAm was great too, like so many others. Why you don't learn from it will never become clear to me. But not my society, not my workplace. Loyalty doesn't always pay off. Soon, instead of service and what was once a good experience, only buy tickets from the cheapest provider. The service couldn't be poorer and maybe I'll be one of the thousands who have good experiences.
RouteAlicante to Amsterdam via Guatemala
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"I would not fly with KLM in the future"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight through Delta in October 2020 to travel to Amsterdam, Netherlands. When I booked the flight I was told to contact KLM to request a bassinet seat since I was traveling with my infant and I would be flying with KLM. I contacted KLM and was assigned economy seats for the flight to Amsterdam. I was also provided with the seat assignments in economy comfort for the return flight to New York. In October KLM informed me that I would need to pay for my husband's seat on the return flight as it was economy comfort and I made that payment. I was not informed at that time that I also needed to pay for my seat assignment. When I arrived at the airport in January for the return flight to New York and checked my bags I was told that I needed to pay 100 euros for my seat, at that time I had no opportunity to then change my seat assignment because that was the only bassinet seat available so I paid the 100 euros. KLM did not inform me about payment for a seat that I was assigned to and then I had no choice but to pay for the seat assignment because I was already at the airport checking in for my flight. I should have been informed in October when I was told that I needed to pay for my husband's seat assignment. I contacted KLM when I returned to NY and they responded weeks later stated that I could not be reimbursed because I wanted to sit next to my husband? My complaint was never understood and they only apologized for taking two weeks to respond to me. They also stated that "Fares are dynamic in nature and not guaranteed. They may change quickly depending on various factors like the period of travel, seats availability, the destination, as well as the number of passengers trying to book that particular fare at the same time. The fares may increase or decrease as per the availability." Fares increase and decrease before purchasing a flight and if there was a change in the cost of my flight I would have been notified. This experience is very disappointing since the KLM staff at the airport and on the airline were great but the customer service before and after have guaranteed that I would not fly with KLM in the future.
RouteAmsterdam to New York