Kenya Airways

"Good value for money – will fly with them again"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Monrovia to Kigali through Accra and Nairobi 19-20 May 2022. The 2 aircrafts were both B737-800s in very good condition. I had to change my departure dates and it took me only 10 minutes online - and was even free as it was a “Business Light” ticket. All flights were on time. Checked in online. Monrovia Airport is full of hustlers pretending to be from the airline but want tips and they are annoying, the airline should chase them away. Kenya Airways (KQ) uses a third party lounge in Monrovia which is small but good with courteous, proactive attendants. No champagne, but plenty of drinks and liquor. The local Club beer is good. Embarking easy, fast, not a single crosscheck from lounge to seat – what a pleasure. Onboard, welcome drinks were served. The seats were huge and well bolstered, reclining, new, and very comfortable. Could sleep. IFE or WiFi was only working on the last leg. No printed menus were given out, but the FAs asked each individual on food choices. My pre-ordered special sea food meals were all different, delicious, and served without reminders. Business Class was full after Accra, but I did neither feel cramped nor stuffy. FAs, all Kenyans, were good and caring – though maybe not world class. In NBO the Pride lounge did the job for me during the 12 hours’ layover. The last stretch to Kigali was with IFE onboard, champagne, and my beloved seafood hot meal, which KQ still offers (even in economy) in contrast to Qatar and Emirates who have stopped this service at is it not qualifying as “dietary reasons” to order. Luggage delivered quickly and in good order. Good value for money – will fly with them again.
RouteMonrovia to Kigali via Accra, Nairobi
Date FlownMay 2022

"It was a bad experience"

Trip Verified | It was a bad experience. I had a flight from Entebbe to Nairobi and from Nairobi to Amsterdam. I missed the first one and went straight to Nairobi. Seemed that they canceled the whole flight. I had to go to sales and they, without explaining any detail, told me I had to pay 475 dollars for a new flight! As I had no time at all I had to make a quick decision but after I tried to ask for answers but I did not get any good explanation beside that I had to pay the difference. Bad customer service and lousy way to dealing with people!
RouteNairobi to Amsterdam
Date FlownMay 2022

"Nicely done, Kenya Airways"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Flew Kigali to Monrovia over Nairobi and Accra on 8-9 May 2022. Flights on time. Checked in online worked well and got my BPs in airport swiftly. No luggage issues. Recognised as Skyteam elite. Kenya Airways staff came to me in lounge and, without request, carried my hand-luggage for me from lounge to the aircraft. No waiting time nor queues anywhere on the trip despite the flights were full or almost full. KQ delivers and have rarely let me down over the years. Pearl Lounge in Kigali delivers but suffers from deprived views of airport runways. First flight was on an Embraer 190 which is a lovely, roomy aircraft. Onboard, they allowed me to shift to an exit row as my original seat was mistakenly occupied by another person. The seat now offered was very nice - it would have cost me 50 USD if booked online. Drinks were generously provided. Appreciate Kenya Airways often have the Happy Hour concept where a request for a single drink most often triggers serving two. The wine in mini-bottles was acceptable, a South African “Stonedale”. I had requested seafood meal and I got it: it was a cold, tasty salmon sandwich. FAs were kind and effective. No IFE nor WiFi but on a 90 minutes flight its not an issue. Transit in Nairobi Airport smooth and quick. It took me only 15 Minutes to reach the KQ Pride Lounge. I love this lounge, roomy and curvy designs with lots of nice sections. Had a god nights’ sleep after acquainting myself with a Niederburg rose-wine which superseded an alternative, Italian sparkling wine The next flights from Nairobi to Monrovia via Accra were on their B737-800. Despite the flight was completely full (all seats taken in both classes!) the staff manage to care passengers well. No power outlet nor monitors, only WiFi and use of personal devices were possible. Special meal rendered to perfection. I also tried other dishes as I was offered. Drinks provided generously, again Happy Hour (order 1 get 2) occurred at least once. Slight delay as the stop-over in Accra took longer time as a lot of passengers disembarked before cleaning and loads of new passengers came on board – again the flight was full. Luggage in Monrovia came out quickly. Nicely done, Kenya Airways. Can recommend.
AircraftE190 / Boeing 737-800
RouteKigali to Monrovia via Nairobi

"Both flights delayed"

Not Verified | Addis Ababa to Mumbai via Nairobi. Both the mentioned flights delayed in their boarding, moving and landing. The second journey took 8 hours instead of 6.5 hours. Overall very poor time management. We can't rely on this airline and book domestic flights. The worst is I booked my return ticket also with this airline. it was on 27th April 2.25 am from Mumbai. Based on this I had booked a domestic flight from Chennai to Mumbai 6pm 26th April 2022. I had taken the RTPCR test for flying. 6pm web check-in was supposed to be done for Kenya Airways. 4pm i received a message that the flight is rescheduled. The rescheduling was done inappropriately. The flight KQ-203,2.25am , 27th April was rescheduled to 27th April 7.25 am the connecting flight KQ-400, 27th April 8,30am was rescheduled to 29th April 5pm. What do I do in Nairobi for 2.5 days. I had booked through goibibo. I could not connect with any human being in gooibibo to arrange for alternate ways. So I had to cancel my domestic flight to Mumbai. I cancelled all the Kenya bookings and flew through flydubai with new cost. Still, now the refund has not been given by Kenya Airways or goibibo. I lost 4000 inr out of 5100 inr for the domestic flight due to last-minute cancellation. The RTPCR test taken went to waste.
RouteAddis Ababa to Mumbai via Nairobi
Date FlownMarch 2022

"I am extremely unimpressed with your work ethics"

(Nigeria)

Trip Verified | The female air hostesses were so rude and cold to me. I sat by the window seat and the two other passengers on the row were fast asleep so I rang the bell multiple times, no response. I made verbal requests twice as they walked past and even though they gave a cold response saying they would get me a cup of water - nothing! Kenya Airways, you are not the Pride of Africa and I am extremely unimpressed with your work ethics.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Nairobi
Date FlownApril 2022

"Hopefully never have to fly with ‘The pride of Africa’ again!"

Not Verified | Terrible experience with luggage. Had an amount allocated on my ticket, staff would not allow it, said it was over. Very rude and unhelpful staff when checking in my luggage. Told to re pack my case. Not terribly friendly cabin staff. Half full plane on my journey, would not allow passengers to use empty seats. Ridiculous and a first on a flight for me. I have previously been able to use unoccupied seats. Massive amount of single use plastic on this flight, shocking. Really nice food. Hopefully never have to fly with ‘The pride of Africa’ again!
RouteLondon Heathrow to Johannesburg
Date FlownApril 2022

"Sorry KQ, you are not "the pride of Africa" at all!"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | Terrible company in terms of customer services. KQ lots my luggage for the second time in a year - this time, bags were not loaded in Lilongwe - and the whole process to get them was just so bad and KQ staff not helpful at all. At the airport, no customer care at all, it took ages (more than two hours) to enter everyone's declaration in the system, then KQ said we would get our bags within 24 hours, which did not happen - it took more than 48 hours to get them. We are supposed to be able to get a refund when the time exceeds 24 hours and guess what? To do so you have to go to the airport, it is not possible to get that online - in Nairobi the airport is 1h away from the city center. Just a way for people to not get it! Sorry KQ, you are not "the pride of Africa" at all!
RouteLilongwe to Nairobi
Date FlownMarch 2022

"they are awful and do not care at all"

Not Verified | Phoned to change my flight and was told that it has been done. Two days later and having not received an email confirmation, I phoned back and they said that the agent I spoke to did not book and I would need to pay £89 dollars as the rates have gone up, pushed to fly on a different date and still there would be a 60 dollar penalty attached. Had the agent booked me in the first time I phoned, I would not be incurring these costs. It took me two days of spending at least 4 hours on the phone to their international number where they are cautious not to phone you back as it will cost them and will happily put you on hold for as long as they want. First day I spoke to an agent who said that they would book me into the flight but refer me to the manager to take off incurred costs, next referred to the supervisor who swore to sort this out asap, waited till end of the day and phoned back and she was about to leave the office but said she has handed over to the next shift manager, nothing happened. Phoned again the following morning and got hold of an agent who also promised to phone me back within an hour, after three hours of waiting, I phoned her back and she put me on hold to go speak to her manager and came back and said that they have reached a decision that I need to pay. Bear in mind that I have had to move this flight twice due to their incompetence. As much as I am Kenyan and would like to promote a local airline, do not use these guys and It needs to be made public as they are awful and do not care at all.
RouteLondon to Nairobi
Date FlownMarch 2022

"Kenya Airways reservations staff are very incompetent"

Trip Verified | Kenya Airways reservations staff are very incompetent. I booked a flight to Nairobi with departing time 15.20pm only to be rescheduled to a 4 hours later flight at 19.30 and that without notification. I booked the earlier flight because I was connecting later that evening to a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt. Due to this reschedule, I almost missed my flight to Frankfurt. It only needed friendly Lufthansa staff to open up the gate for me. Kenya Airways staff simply assume that all passengers flying from Kisumu have Nairobi as their final destination. They don’t even think that some might have connection to other countries. I will never fly them again and never recommend them to anyone. They caused me a lot of stress without compensation.
RouteKisumu to Nairobi
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"staff very unhelpful and dismissive"

Trip Verified | The most horrible customer experience i have ever had with an airline. I have ended up being charged triple the original price I paid despite the fact that I called the customer contact center day before flight. Issued with last minute information to rebook my flight 1.5 hours before the flight. I don't think I have anything nice to say about my experience. Don't think I can recommend the airline to another. Airport staff very unhelpful and dismissive. And don't think I will ever consider to use the airline ever again.
RouteNairobi to London