Kenya Airways

"Food choices poor"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Nairobi with Kenya Airways. Food choices poor, no alternative or vegetarian option. Two drink trolleys on an 8 hour flight. My suitcase has been broken during transport. Staff not overly helpful on flight.
RouteJohannesburg to Birmingham via Nairobi and Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2019

"thank the ground staff"

Trip Verified | I cannot thank the ground staff of Kenyan Airways at Nairobi Airport enough. As a result of bad paperwork, I found myself stranded on Friday, February 22, 2019, not able to flying to DRC, with no phone, no internet, no entry visa, or hotel, the staff of Kenyan Airways got me settled. Within an hour, my problems were solved and I was on my way to a hotel in downtown Nairobi. It is nice to see that some companies still believe in customer service. The paperwork is sorted out and I will be flying on Kenyan Airways to DRC tomorrow.
RouteLagos to Nairobi
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"service was good"

(Liberia)

Trip Verified | Monrovia to Bangkok via Nairobi in October 2018. The flight Monrovia to Nairobi (with a stop in Accra) is on a B737; the flight Nairobi to Bangkok on a B787. I also did a number of other flights the past years (e.g. Entebbe - Hanoi & Johannesburg - Bangkok). Both flights last year (as well as the ones earlier) were on time. Staff was friendly & service was good. Amenities in business class and choice of movies are limited, but food & wines are very good. The only problem I encountered was that one of my suitcases was lost when returning to Monrovia, but got it back in good condition 3 days after.
AircraftBoeing 787-8 / 737-800
RouteMonrovia to Bangkok via Nairobi
Date FlownOctober 2018

"worst airline I have used"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Nairobi. Boarded at 12 midnight and were in the plane on the tarmac for 4.5 hrs and told to disembark since engineers had failed to fix a technical problem. The staff was rough and the hotel we were driven was not ready as the airline had not told them of people coming. It took me 4 days to travel from Harare to Melbourne a trip that was supposed to take 36hrs. The worst airline I have used.
RouteBangkok to Nairobi

"least informed individuals"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Paris to Nairobi. The Kenya Airways crew must be the least informed individuals working in airline industry. They did not understand the language of my travel documents (Italian). So they delayed my boarding and when they finally figured it out, it was too late for me to board and they could not be bothered to put me on another flight so I booked with a different airline to be able get to my destination in time. Their confusion was not the worst, I had sent them my documents prior to my booking and they said everything was okay. But obviously that was a lie since here I am annoyed by their treatment and having to be ashamed of the one airline I should be most proud of based on my nationality. KQ, should do better: the food (that pasta in some sort of fish sauce is horrible) and please get coffee and tea flasks that do not look like you bought them from second hand market or used since independence. Your carry the Kenyan name with little to no pride. Do better.
RouteParis to Nairobi
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"delayed by over 8 hours"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Nairobi. Kenya Airways flight KQ887 was delayed by over 8 hours, they put us in a dodgy old and stuffy hotel in Bangkok overnight. Not only was the hotel room full of mosquitoes and horrible bathrooms but we also had an 8 hour lay over in (Nairobi which was not in our initial arrangements). We were sent to wooden chairs and fed cold burgers with warm drinks. Kenya Airways, By far not the pride of Africa! In fact not even remotely ].
RouteBangkok to Nairobi

"paid the $1200 penalty"

Trip Verified | Harare to New York via Nairobi. I was super excited to travel to Zimbabwe and see Africa for the first time and got the perfect excuse when one of my closest friends from college planned her wedding in Harare. My outbound flight on American Airlines was cancelled due to weather, leading to me missing my connecting flight on Kenya Airways. While this was unpleasant, no one can control the weather, and AA helped re-book me on a later Kenya Airways flight into Harare, Zimbabwe, so I made it on time to the wedding. After a few weeks of seeing Victoria Falls and making friends with lions, I got back to check into my flight back to New York with Kenya Airways. The attendant there let me know that I had been marked as a “no-show” on my outbound flight, and now my return ticket was cancelled as a result. After arguing that I clearly was re-booked on a later outbound flight, Kenya Airways told me I could get on the flight if I paid a “penalty” of $1200. As I had already paid for a round trip ticket, I indignantly refused to pay for my flight a second time and wound up missing the morning flight. Two more flights back to the States came and went, and I missed all of those flights as Kenya Airways demanded payments to let me onto a plane. I racked up hours of international cell phone call payments with American Airlines customer service and my travel agent, who all let me know that Kenya Airways was not picking up the phone, and they were the only ones who could get me on one of their planes. 16 hours later, having missed every flight that day, I finally gave in and paid the $1200 penalty, in addition to the $1600 round trip ticket I had already paid, and Kenya Airways let me on the flight back home. For the privilege of nearly doubling the cost of my plane ticket, I also had a 17 hour layover in Nairobi, after which Kenya Airways told me my flight to JFK was overbooked. Fortunately Kenya Airways did one thing right and found a seat for me onto the flight back to the States, which I had paid for twice. All in all, I wound up spending nearly four days total in airplanes and airports, racking up international phone charges, and nearly doubling the cost of my Kenya Airways ticket. Kenya Airways, the Pride of Africa.
RouteHarare to New York via Nairobi
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"all flights were delayed"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Bangkok via Nairobi. The feeling I got flying Kenya Airways for the first and last time is that it’s missing a certain culture which is so important for customer loyalty. Our trip was the worst I’ve ever taken with any airline. And I’ve flown a lot. Everything was matter of fact. Except for the last leg from Nairobi to Cape Town through Victoria Falls (which was still the wrong return flight and 24 hours too late) all flights were delayed between two and twelve hours. The on-board meals are half the size of comparably-priced flights and mostly junk. Drinks cart selection looks like Aeroflot in the 80’s. Kenyans are warm and inviting. Is there a reason why that cannot be the same at Kenyatta airport? Is Kenya Airways not the major airline of that airport? When there’s no culture at the top, there’s no culture on the ground. Rude immigration officers, and security personnel throwing bins at passengers. The “hotel desk” which had no signs was another terrible experience. Apathetic employees did the minimum required of them. Passengers already furious to have been delayed prior, and now having missed their connections, would have to wait till morning to catch the next (wrong) flight. And when you get your hotel sorted, you’re told the bus will leave “very soon” but the truth is they wait until enough people cram the bus and only then transfer the passengers to the hotel. And everything is done at snail pace, with total disregard and matter of fact. There are many wonderful and accommodating employees along the way, but that is not the point. We all tend to remember the negative and unpleasant, but the right kind of culture has no room for negative. Customers have choice, and if enough customers stop using Kenya Airways, will that make its point?
RouteJohannesburg to Bangkok via Nairobi

"everything went smoothly"

Not Verified | Johannesburg to Zanzibar via Nairobi. We booked our flights in Feb 2018 from CPT to ZNZ, 4 sectors with 12 hours of travel. 2 weeks before we flew we checked our flights and the final sector had been cancelled. With no Kenya Airways office in Australia, I went online and chatted to an agent who quickly solved the issue and rerouted us at the same time reducing 4 sectors to 3. This was all fixed within 10 minutes of chatting. On the day of travel everything went smoothly from to check in to boarding. The flight was uneventful, the service onboard was very good, the flight attendants were lovely. The food and beverages served were also good. The one concern we had was whether or not our bags would arrived at the same time as we did. To our surprise, all bags for our party of 4 arrive at the same time and destination as us. I think we were lucky on the day.
AircraftBoeing 787-8 / ATR72
RouteJohannesburg to Zanzibar via Nairobi
Date FlownDecember 2018

"it's the shame of Africa"

Trip Verified | Nairobi to New York. Awful service, awful staff! Avoid this airline at all cost. Kenya Airways is not the pride of Africa. I'd say it's the shame of Africa. During the flight from USA to Nairobi, (14 hours long) There was a young man speaking really loud and saying inappropriate things. He was disturbing a lot of passengers. Obviously he was drunk, yet he kept ordering alcohol and the staff kept giving him! Despite several complaints from other passengers including myself, the staff of Kenya airways did nothing stop him. My brother and I had a 21 hours in Nairobi. Kenya Airways did not want to pay us a hotel, like they did for other customers. On the way back home, the flight from Nairobi to USA, the staff was again rude and useless. I felt sick and asked for water 5 times before I finally got it. Save yourself a headache and fly with another airline. I wish I read the reviews before spending my money with them. I will never fly with them again even if it was free! Wish I could put 0/10 as overall rating but the system won't let me!
RouteNairobi to New York