Jetstar Airways

"exceeded their weight limit of 7kg"

Not Verified | This is the worst airline I have ever had dealings with. Many years ago I had booked and paid $130.00 for a flight from Gold Coast to Sydney. On the way to the airport I was held up by road-works, however I arrived at the airport at 4minutes to 3 o’clock. There was no one at the checkin counter so I had to wait about 6 minutes before an airline employee came to attend the counter. When he found out that I was booked on the 3-30 flight he informed me that I would not be able to board the flight even though the flight had not been called and I had no baggage whatsoever. He told me I could take the next flight if paid a new fare of $150,00. He informed that I had lost my money. I returned home and the next day I flew out on Virgin Blue from Brisbane Airport. No money was ever refunded even though it is illegal for airlines to retain the airport taxes. I thought that this firm may have improved, and it was convenient I booked a flight from Gold Coast last Friday 13th of May. I noted that the employees were all very dictatorial, but it seemed OK. The flight departed about 12 minutes late and so it also arrived in Sydney late. The flight time to Sydney was 1hour and 7 minutes. After landing the plane commenced travelling to the terminal, but then stopped. After this it did move a few times. The pilot eventually informed us that there was another plane at our gate refuelling. After 1hour and 37 minutes of sitting on the ground the aircraft arrived at the gate. That is flight time was 1hour and 7 minutes and time spent freezing on the taxiway was 1 hour 37 minutes. On last Monday 16th May we began our return journey being booked on a flight departing Sydney at 6-40pm. Everything went to plan until just before departure, passengers were already entering the aircraft, when 3 airline staff came to weigh our tiny bags. They found that our bags (including our wallets) exceeded their weight limit of 7kg by about 2.1kg. We were 2 passengers so the total weight was 16.1kg. They demanded that we pay $65 each even though one passenger’s bag was less than 7kg. Eventually I removed my toothbrush and pyjamas to get the total weight down to 13.9kg.
AircraftA320-200
RouteSydney to Gold Coast

"Devastating experience"

Trip Verified | I had got a flight to Sydney from Uluru (Ayers Rock) on the 16th of May 2022 at 2.10pm. However, I had booked in with a 7kg in flight baggage. Having said that, when I checked in at counter, the staff saw my bag and she mentioned nothing as it is below 7kg. As I got onto the flight the crew member stopped me and told me to leave my bag next to her, as it is slightly bigger in size to put it in over the seat bag compartment. I asked, so where will my bag be placed at and she said it'll be placed below the plane, I said ok as long it's safe. She said she'll get it back to me, she asked for my seat number. I waited, she did not come to me to notify me about my bag. Well, I trusted her as a staff and crew member of the flight of Jetstar. Reached Sydney, as I was getting down, I asked her, what happened to my bag, and she said someone from the baggage will page my name for my bag. Well, again I trusted her words and waited at the baggage area, my bag not to be seen, went to check at the Jetstar baggage counter, explained to she and she checked and she gave me a paper with baggage service reference number. I waited more than one hour, looking and waiting for my bag, 2nd I put my trust on the crew member. At last I got a call from the baggage service counter, saying my bag has been sent sent back to the ground at Uluru (Ayers Rock) airport. It is total disgrace to put a passenger in such situation. I had stayed in a hotel having no change of clothes, all were in my bag. I had wasted more than an hour waiting and looking for my bag, caused me stress and anxiety going through all this. I had to go purchase new clothes, new personal items. That bag of mine looked big, but could've easily fit into the cabin bag above the seat. Devastating experience.
RouteAyers Rock to Sydney
Date FlownMay 2022

"cancelled with less than 5 hours notice"

Trip Verified | I’ve flown with Jetstar many times from Melbourne to Pert to visit my partner and yet I haven’t learnt my lesson. Almost every flight has been cancelled with less than 5 hours notice. The most recent for a 6am flight but you’re unable to choose a reimbursement flight online so have to wait until 6 when the call centre opens. The only one they didn’t cancel, they managed to leave my bag behind in Melbourne, needing to put it on a Qantas flight to get it over there. There’s an obvious reason it’s the cheaper subsidiary of the Qantas group.
RouteMelbourne to Perth
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Where’s the communication?"

Trip Verified | My new husband and I are using this airline for our honeymoon. First thing that went wrong is that our flight from Melbourne to Cairns (JQ940) was cancelled in the middle of the night. So lucky my husband woke up and saw the message, and we spent three hours in the crazy hours of the morning trying to find another flight that would get us to Cairns on the same day. The lack of flight choice without ridiculous stopovers was appalling. And thanks to the airline, we lost an entire day of our trip. But that’s not all. Before we left for our honeymoon, Jetstar told us that our flight home was rescheduled to be earlier. Which was disappointing because we were going to lose another day of our honeymoon. And once again, this morning we received a message in the middle of the night, telling us our flight (JQ941) has been delayed. Well, our hotel front reception weren’t in until 9am to help rearrange a later shuttle bus, so we had to suck it up and head to the airport to wait four hours for our flight. But then, about 10 minutes before our new boarding time, the departures sign showed that our flight would be further delayed by another two hours. So basically, that’s over 6 hours of us dragging around the airport, wasting our time and holiday. I’m currently in Cairns airport as I write this, trying to get back home to Melbourne, really upset. Where’s the communication? No text, no email, the app is all incorrect information. Where’s the staff that we can talk to? And with all the delays put together, it’s literally back to the original flight time we had when we booked. If we had known this earlier than 4am, then we could have spent another day enjoying our honeymoon. All up, I’d say we lost two days worth of our honeymoon, just from Jetstar flight delays and cancellations. I probably will never fly Jetstar again. I have never had a problem in the past, and it’s so upsetting watching all the Qantas and Virgin flights go home.
RouteCairns to Melbourne
Date FlownMay 2022

"delayed or cancelled last minute"

Trip Verified | Sick to death of flying with this budget airline. Flights are always delayed or cancelled last minute with no alerts sent to their passengers or respect for our time. Carry on weights are pathetic making a big drama over 400grams over weight.
RouteGold Coast to Adelaide
Date FlownMay 2022

"charges $260 for overage"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Jetstar waits for our family of 4 to queue up to board, then weighs purses with carry-ons, charges $260 for "overage". This was only on return flight no check on going flight, and says "if you don't pay you can't fly." Worst airline ever - avoid at all costs.
RouteQueenstown to Auckland
Date FlownAugust 2020

" plane was setup like a domestic flight"

Trip Verified | We got very cheap tickets so weren't expecting much. Plane was clean and departure on-time. For an international flight the plane was setup like a domestic flight is no blanket, pillow. Seats were hard and thin. We preordered our meals which were delivered with a smile from the crew. I'd be inclined to pack snacks and drinks as the selection available is pretty uninteresting. The entertainment was really good however the headsets were cheap and nasty earbuds. You couldn't hear over the noise if the plane. We put our noise cancelling headsets over them to make it bearable. Flight was easy and no problems at either boarding or landing. Luggage had to be correct weight. 20 kg and 7kg for hand. Much prefer USA southwest 2bags X 23 kg free plus 7 hand or American USA we used for further flights into USA. Jetstar is ok however they just give you a seat .. you need to either buy what other airlines give free or supply it yourself.
RouteMelbourne to Honolulu
Date FlownMarch 2022

Jetstar Airways customer review

Trip Verified | First flight cancelled at the gate. No realistic compensation options. Policy is to rebook you on another JS flight or give you money back. Problem is their flights are booked and your only other option is to choose another carrier and pay Twice as much to get where you need to go. Second flight cancelled, same rubbish options offered (nearest jet star flight was 25 hours total flight time to go from Melbourne to Brisbane). Support staff are unable to help due to garbage policies. No compensation given. They kept saying “we value getting you to where you need to to” but their policies are the exact opposite. Lots of customer care speak, but when push comes to shove they are an incompetent, greedy airline who care very little about you. Lesson learned: never fly Jetstar.
RouteBrisbane to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2022

"they count every gram of luggage"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience, they count every gram of luggage. Have to do the pathetic reshuffling of bags at the last minute which is pointless over 300 grams. Customer service poor.
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownMay 2022

"I have not had a worse flight"

Not Verified | I have not had a worse flight run than my two most recent flights with Jetstar. Firstly the over 10 hour international flight with no food provided or inflight entertainment provided. Then after arriving at the connecting airport with less than 2 hours to my next flight. The flight was suddenly cancelled leaving me with no option but to wait in an hour long line to get my flight moved. I was lucky and able to get on a flight later in the evening however some people were told they couldn’t get on until the next day. Further to this, the flight I was moved to then was delayed by 40 min and then after arriving at my destination we waited for over 40 min in the aircraft as we were unable to disembark. One of the worst experiences I have had flying. I will not be flying with Jetstar again.
RouteHonolulu to Sydney via Melbourne