Jetstar Airways

"Beware of luggage fees!"

Trip Verified | Queenstown to Auckland. Beware of luggage fees! Make sure you buy exactly what your bags weigh before you get to the airport. Once checking in they charge $15 per KG extra than what you originally paid for.
RouteQueenstown to Auckland

"randomly cancel flights"

Not Verified | Adelaide to Coolangatta. Ridiculous lack of communication from Jetstar and last minute cancellation of flights for no good reason! I had to travel for my dad’s funeral and having my flight cancelled with little notice added to the extreme stress, anxiety and trauma I am experiencing. Had to book another flight and spend another $200! Their prices may seem low but you’re better off spending the extra few bucks for an airline who will actually provide good customer service and won’t randomly cancel flights.
RouteAdelaide to Coolangatta
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Worst flight of my life"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Tokyo via Gold Coast. Appalling experience that will be my last, given that I return from Japan this week. My flight was canceled at Melbourne airport on the day The flight was supposed to depart, just after I drove 5 hours from my hometown. I then spent around 6 hours with 4 different calls to Jetstar trying to sort it out, as they were refusing to talk to passengers at the airport. They rescheduled my flight the following day and said that I would have my extra legroom that I had booked in advance. Got on the flight the following day to Japan and was put in a regular seat and I’m a person who is 187cm tall. Worst flight of my life. Felt awful after arriving in Japan. This all happened on the 10/12/2019 when there was a “global outage” which was said by the staff on the day some 3 hours after my flight was scheduled to leave. Thank you Jetstar. Will never consider you for another flight and will let everyone I know know that they shouldn’t fly Jetstar either.
RouteMelbourne to Tokyo via Gold Coast
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Will never fly with them again"

Not Verified | Flew with Jetstart to Bali back in May 2019 and they cancelled our flight home to Melbourne and couldn't get us on a flight for 10 days back to Melbourne. My husband and I missed two days of work and spent approximately $1400 with another airline to get home. Jetstar refused to refund our flight and would only give us a voucher. Had no desire to ever travel with them again but then would have forfeited the $720 voucher. Ended up using the voucher to go to Hobart for the weekend. Jetstar cancelled out flight going home to Melbourne. Spent 40 minutes on the phone trying to get another flight home. Got one 9 hours later then that flight was delayed by 40 minutes Arrived home at 1.30am and had to get up for work at 6.15am so extremely tired for work that day. Have had a couple of flights with Jetstar over the years and every single one has been delayed. Will never fly with them again. Was advised by Jetstar they do no guarantee their flights.
RouteMelbourne to Hobart
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Giving adequate warning would have been fine"

Not Verified | Jetstar pushed flight back 6.5 hours with less than 24 hours notice (informed at 6.30pm) with the first flight leaving at 6am from Avalon, giving no options for getting back to Avalon. A drink offered as compensation, even though I had to buy dinner at airport, not to mention cancelling evening plans. Giving adequate warning to change plans would have been fine, offering to compensate adequately would have made me potentially consider using them again.
RouteAvalon to Sydney
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"the flight itinerary changed three times"

Trip Verified | Booked a flight from Brisbane to Tokyo for the end of March. Within a month, the flight itinerary changed three times. At first the changes were only be a few minutes. Then I received a change a few days (dates before and/or after the original booking). I do not live in Brisbane, which means I would have had to either pay to change my connecting flights, or pay for several nights accommodation. Also, it affects my Tokyo accommodation. Due to the frequent changes, I could not gamble on whether Jetstar would stick with the new proposed dates or suddenly switch them again. I understand that flights are set to change, and this is forewarned upon booking but the sheer frequency and drastic shifts are unsettling - especially being so close to the departure dates. I requested a refund, which I was permitted. Then followed up by filing a complaint. The complaint was handled by automated sympathy messages and a declaration that it is not Jetstars responsibility as it is already outlined in the policy. These changes can end up costing travelings severely to change flights, book and rearrange accommodations, and other expenses.
RouteBrisbane to Tokyo
Date FlownMay 2019

"couldn't have gone better"

Trip Verified | Flew Sydney to Melbourne - JQ527, then scheduled to fly to Perth on JQ970 two weeks later. SYD - MEL flight was good, and I can't see myself ever paying extra to fly QF or VA for an hour hop. Everything had to be paid for, but honestly, I didn't mind - you close your eyes and you're there. Seats themselves were not very well padded, but that's to be expected. Legroom was ideal, coming from a semi-tall bloke. Bags came out quickly, had an on-time departure and arrival, service was great. That's to be expected, and from someone who had never flown them before, I felt that what everyone always says about them is misguided - it's a budget airline after all. We took the Skybus from St Kilda to Tullamarine - the last of the day @ 8 pm, so we had to wait around the airport for a bit. However, for a $20.50 fare for two adults (special), the convenience and not having to catch public transport was worth it. Check-in at Tullamarine was easy, as was bag drop, went through security, only to find our flight had been cancelled due to the crew timing out (read - legally worked too long that shift to be able to operate the onward flight) - so, back through the terminal and waiting in a line for help. Thank god we got there when we did, because the queue stretched for ages right after we arrived. The good thing is, it's super easy to change your flight when it's cancelled. We originally changed our flight to a 6:05 am departure with Jetstar, but seeing the provided accommodation was in Preston - a good 45mins away by taxi, we tried to get a better flight - also seeing that people had been able to change to Qantas flights. They are constantly loading more flights and options into the system in the event of a cancellation, so we asked to see if there was anything better they could do for us, and it turns out that there was a Virgin flight the next day leaving at 9AM. This suited us, and we were set. The accommodation they provided was great - fairly modern and gave us meal vouchers to use at the hotel - we used them for breakfast, which was okay, but I would use them for dinner depending on when you need to go there if you're in the same situation. They also reimburse you for any taxi services you need to get to and from the airport - however you need to coordinate this yourself after the journey is done. However, the lady coordinating the giving out of hotels at Tullamarine was rude. Too sassy for her own good, we tried making conversation with her and all she could do was give snarky comments back - when she was literally doing her scheduled job (write people's names down on a list), at her normal shift time. We're the ones being delayed here - you're getting paid. Cut the attitude. However, everyone else at the service desk was friendly, which was good. I wouldn't hesitate to fly Jetstar again given my experience on the first flight, but it's also good knowing they have a good system for cancellations - you're covered even if they're unable to fly. And, for paying $150pp incl bag, getting a free hotel, taxi service, and a widebody Virgin flight the next day with inc food and entertainment was great value for money. Thanks for cancelling my second flight, Jetstar. It couldn't have gone better, for me at least :)
AircraftA321 / A320
RouteMelbourne to Perth
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"never fly with them again"

Not Verified | Honolulu to Hobart via Sydney. Jetstar took my money for bags and seat assignments then changed my flight to a Qantas flight and told me I could not get any seat assignments until I check in day of. It is a 10 hour flight that I have no control of where I sit. Will absolutely never fly with them again.
RouteHonolulu to Hobart via Sydney

"Terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Adelaide. Terrible customer service. Baggage policy waived for some passengers and not others. Very disappointing, after I complained head office thought it was okay for staff to waive policy for some and not others.
RouteSydney to Adelaide

"was very disappointing"

Trip Verified | Queenstown to Auckland. Our experience with Jetstar Airways on a flight in New Zealand was very disappointing due to the disruption in the flight, the subsequent lack of communication, and the promises of staff that were not supported by corporate. Jetstar experienced a countrywide failure in their computer systems causing manual processing leading to delayed flights. Our flight was delayed over 4 hours causing our connection to the US to be missed. There was no later flight, so an overnight stay was required. There was no communication about status - the flight boards were not updated. In fact the board showed that we had arrived, when in fact we hadn't even left. I was not able to pursue changes with the connecting flight airlines because they showed the flight on time. Upon arrival in Auckland I was informed we would be transported to a hotel and provide meals. Later I was told the transportation would not be provided but we could take the Skybus and submit expenses for reimbursement. I asked if there was more than one hotel for the brand and was told no. When I got to the Skybus counter, I was asked which of the two hotels for that brand. I went back to the ticket counter to get the specific location, and by the time I returned we had missed the bus. Upon arrival in Auckland there was a long (1km) walk to the hotel. Upon checking out the next day we were advised that the hotel was paid, and a $30 credit for meals was applied. The latter in direct conflict with written policy that it should've been $60 and further that the airport representative stated that would not be limited to $60. Upon return to the airport the next day, there was no one available to handle the reimbursement request so we submitted the request for expense reimbursement online ($167). After waiting over a week past the processing timeline I followed up via chat. At which time I was advised that they would not support reimbursement of any kind despite the statement of staff. No avenue for escalation was provided. I accessed their chat complaint system, uploading all of the original documents supporting the reimbursement request. I was on the chat for 2 and ¼ hrs. and asked redundant questions and then to be advised there is no reimbursement. At one point the individual stated there is no reimbursement when in home city, which was blatantly wrong as it was clear my home city is in the US. Thankfully, Jetstar did arrange and pay for the hotel as they obviously acknowledged the need. But the rest of the response was not worthy of your trust and patronage.
RouteQueenstown to Auckland