Jetstar Airways

"couldn't get comfortable"

Trip Verified | Denpasar to Melbourne. The flight left and arrived pretty much on time. Our family sat in rows 11 and 12 (row 13 does not have windows). The seats were comfortable, but if I fly longhaul again with Jetstar I will bring my own pillow as I couldn't get comfortable to sleep. The crew were Asian (Thai), were friendly enough and did their job. We didn't bother with meals as the flight left at 11:15pm and arrived at 6:40am and they had the dame dinner options for breakfast. By the time we fought through immigration at MEL, our bags were waiting on the carousel. There were 4 complaints which put me off Jetstar: We had our luggage and hand luggage searched / screened twice by Airport officials, but Jetstar had their staff search people's hand luggage for 'liquids' before allowing passengers into the gate. What they were really doing was taking people's duty free alcohol that they had bought in the airport. When I was considering purchasing meals for breakfast, I was unable to select the second (breakfast) service. Breakfast options were the same as dinner - why not put on some breakfast options. I will likely fly with Jetstar shorthaul at some stage, (I will give preference to Qantas / Virgin) but for 3hrs + I will stick to a full service airline in the future. You do need to purchase your luggage, entertainment and meals. I would recommend doing this when you book your ticket to save money. We booked more luggage than we ended up needing at a reasonable price. I would recommend choosing seats in the front sections in rows 11 and 12. If you want water on the flight don't stress - bring your water bottle and the crew will fill it for you free as you need it during the flight.
RouteDenpasar to Melbourne

"it was ok for me"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Nelson. Have heard bad things about them, but it was ok for me. I usualy fly Air New Zealand on the AKL-NSN route but I saw a Jetstar ad and opted to fly with them for $150pp return which is cheap because air nz charge up to $150pp one way! I chose the early 6:05 am flight which meant waking up at 4 am. Arrived late to the airport and we could not find the gate (62) because at Auckland it is a small building separate from the main domestic terminal and was poorly labelled. the aircraft was remotely parked we had to get on a single small, crowded and sweaty bus to the aircraft. Boarding was a mess, a mad rush to get on the plane. upon entry the flight attendant did not check our boarding passes?, I had an e-ticket. we were met by a strong wet dog-like musty odour inside the cabin. The seats were 'well used' and had no guts left, the tray tables were marked and scuffed but lots of legroom, my overhead panel was not working. but all this is to be expected from a 15.5-year-old aircraft. during the safety briefing the flight attendant apologised and said this was the aircraft's first flight of the day so the pilots would be performing engine tests. After a quick takeoff, the pilot anounced that due to 'airspace restrictions' we were going to fly out over the Pacific ocean and loop back into Nelson. the rest of the flight was uneventful no free cabin service though, final was turbulent, the landing was slightly rough. The new terminal at Nelson tops it all off nicely.
AircraftDash 8 Q-300 (315)
RouteAuckland to Nelson
Date FlownNovember 2018

"the most inconsiderate airline"

Trip Verified | Flew Manila to Tokyo. Jetstar Airways, the most inconsiderate airline I have experienced, I’ve been flying a lot every year in the last 20 years both personal and job related and the ground crew in Tokyo are the rudest and most inconsiderate crew I have ever dealt with. I wil never fly with this airline again.
RouteManila to Tokyo
Date FlownOctober 2018

"impressed with the customer service"

Trip Verified | I was flying from Melbourne to Tokyo via Cairns last month with Jetstar and it went fairly well. Unfortunately upon landing into Cairns we were told that our connecting flight on to Tokyo had been cancelled due to a bird strike on the aircraft. I must say the ground staff at Cairns handled the cancelled flight really well and professionally and I was pretty impressed. I was accomodated onto the next flight for Japan, which was within two hours, and was even able to get a coffee and cake at the cafe inside while I was waiting. The only problem was I had to go to Osaka airport instead of Tokyo (I've lived in Japan for over two years so I at least knew what I was in for) The problem I did have though was when I tried to claim the unexpected costs of transferring back to Tokyo once I arrived. I chatted to staff online and they were brilliant, very understanding and professional the entire time. Even when I had to explain the situation a few times to different people. Once I had a manager assigned to my case it was resolved within a few days. I was really impressed with how the situation was resolved with minimal fuss. I believe the IM function on the website is an excellent addition to their customer service toolbox and made contacting them while overseas really painless. I am really impressed with the level of customer service I recieved from everyone throughout the journey and helping with my issues. I would definitely recommend travelling internationally with them again. The flight itselft was great, the new Boeing 787 that operate the Australia to Japan routes are amazing, quite spacious (I'm 187cm tall), comfy and clean.
RouteMelbourne to Tokyo via Cairns

"Horrible quality airline"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Melbourne. Horrible quality airline with no food and low quality everything, which would be ok, but at the airport and gate you will be harshly checked and overcharged for everything - I just paid $60 for less than 1 kg overweight together with everything. Cheap, if it’s sharks like Jetstar, cost me at the end more expensive than nice quality Qantas.
RouteBrisbane to Melbourne
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Received no email"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Booked with Jetstar 3 days before my flight. Received no email with confirmations or anything, no itinerary no nothing. Checked again later and still nothing. On the day I had to buy new flights with Air NZ because I couldn't confirm I had a booking with Jetstar. Called for a refund and spoke to a potato of a human that had no idea he was at work, no refund, no English, no service.
RouteAuckland to Christchurch
Date FlownOctober 2018

"ruined a great visit to Australia"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Auckland. No online checkin for our flight. My wife and I have been traveling internationally for a week. We are departing Sydney to New Zealand and the ticket agent tells us we have no baggage allowance and we will have to pay $350+ for one checked bag (15 kilos) plus excess for carry on bags. My wife and I spend 40+ minutes frantically spreading things around, wearing a couple of layers of clothes and throwing away gifts for our kids. We then go to another person to pay or excess fees and are told we don’t have to pay it and our ticket includes one bag for each passenger at 23 kilos each. By this time our checked bag is gone so we can’t add anything back in, my wife is in tears and I’m mad as heck. We have no recourse as we are heading back to the US. The only thing the ticket agents offered was a food voucher. Not even an upgrade to an exit row seat for gosh sakes! I’m highly disappointed and unfortunately this airline has ruined what had to this point been a great visit to Australia. This airline is worse than Spirit Airlines in the US.
RouteSydney to Auckland

"definitely not recommend"

Trip Verified | Bali to Melbourne. I booked my flights to and from Bali with Jetstar. Both directions my partner and I were forced to sit seperately. After speaking on the phone and in person, I was denied to change seats so that we were able to be together. I am a terrible flyer and was in tears at the airport for an hour before our flight. Will never fly again, and would definitely not recommend.
RouteBali to Melbourne
Date FlownOctober 2018

"email cancelling my flights"

Not Verified | Melbourne to Adelaide. When you book with Jetstar, please think twice! I booked my return flights with Jetstar to Adelaide early with a special price of $104 return. Thought I got a good deal. Have my travel planned and organised. As travel date coming near, they send me an email cancelling my flights giving me limited options of other flight or refund. This happens twice already. In order to arrive on time for a wedding, we have to refund and book last minute with Virgin at over $170 just one way. Everybody, I would rather book earlier with an airline that is reliable than being put in such position of being ripped off, getting a ticket last minute. After I witness this "sudden cancelling" situation twice within the past 4 months, I never recommend anyone to book with Jetstar, since their "so called" promotional deals is cloud without rain, giving promise of the gift they doesn't realise.
RouteMelbourne to Adelaide
Date FlownOctober 2018

"never again have my business"

Not Verified | First time Jetstar flyer, was not aware of such a strict carry-on baggage weight limit. Flight from Cairns to Sydney was delayed in departure, and scales were brought out in a rush. I was first in line. Agent said I had to pay $60 fee for excess carry-on. Thinking we were boarding immediately, I had no choice but to pay $60. However, the flight still didn’t go due to aircraft malfunction. Subsequently, a 3.5 hour delay and a new aircraft. In the interim, I unloaded items from my bag bringing the weight down to 7 kg or less. Thought bags would be re-weighed when a flight was rescheduled and I would be entitled to a refund. Rush again to board the delayed flight at another gate. Bags were not weighed for that flight. I asked agent for a refund of my $60 cash because I was boarding the aircraft with less than 7 kg. She said contact Customer Service upon arrival in Sydney. The kiosk was unstaffed in Sydney. Emailed Customer Service and was told no refund was possible. I asked for different compensation such as an upgrade or meal voucher for my next flight 3 days later. Not possible, they said, because it was a separate booking. Totally unwilling to mitigate the circumstances, even when the flight was 3.5 hours late departing Cairns, and even though my carry-on luggage was not in excess of 7 kg upon departure. Bum deal, JetStar. You will never again have my business.
RouteCairns to Sydney