Jetstar Airways

"it ends up costing more than other airlines"

Trip Verified | First of all, our flight from Sydney to Townsville was changed with no notification from Jetstar. We had originally booked an 11.30am direct flight but were moved to the red eye. When leaving Townsville our direct flights were also changed to a connecting flight through Brisbane. I asked the lady in Townsville if I could purchase a check in luggage. I had to pay twice for the bag (from Townsville to Brisbane and Brisbane to Sydney) and I also had to collect my bag in Brisbane and recheck it in to get to Sydney. I asked the girl if it could go all the way to Sydney and she replied 'we only work port to port and don't do transfers'. What airline sells connecting flights but doesn't transfer the luggage? You can travel through 5 different countries and not have to touch your bags until your final destination all over Europe, but this airline is incapable of arranging a transfer from Brisbane to Sydney. Absolute joke! Especially because my flights were changed by Jetstar and no compensation was given. Even though they appear cheaper they get you with all the additional costs it ends up costing more than other airlines! Not to mention the 'Cheese and Ham Toastie' I got on the flight was soggy.
RouteTownsville to Sydney via Brisbane
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Jetstar you have no idea with social distancing"

Trip Verified | Had to dump in the bin before boarding because we were over 1kg - 1 swimsuit because it was wet, pack of chips that we could have ate prior to the flight or on the flight, would still have still been added weight either way on the plane and a pair of joggers so that we didn’t have to pay the over weight charge of $65. Then we hop on the plane, take our seats awaiting takeoff with the plane near full apart from a couple of seats at the rear where we were seated. As we waited air hostess tells us we are in the opposite seats and asked that due to Covid thought it better that we sat where we were rather than squeeze in with another person. Told after flight took off we could sit in the seats that we were in - really Jetstar you have no idea with social distancing, but would rather put everyone in a cattle style seating.
RouteCairns to Brisbane
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"what a terrible company"

Not Verified | Do not book with this airline. My family and I all booked to go to Hamilton island for my 50th birthday but due to COVID we could not fly, I tried to get a refund and they refused. I had to accept a voucher. A year later my parents are not well enough to travel and they refuse to give our money back, what kind of good company would do that. I will never use this airline again, good customer service would have been giving our money back without the stress and would say I hope you can book with us again in the future however this airline has no such thing as good customer service so I have to get our credit card insurance company to take up this matter take them to court to get our money back. I have 5 children that need my money more than Jetstar do, what a terrible company.
RouteSydney to Hamilton Island
Date FlownDecember 2020

"avoid flying with them"

Trip Verified | This is not the first time that Jetstar shows its badly customer service. The boarding pass says that the boarding starts at 10:05. At 10:03, while I’m waiting on the line to have my bag checked, the screens started showing FINAL CALL for my flight. My cousin was stopped by the security to check his bag, while I ran to the gate. I arrived there at 10:09 (only 4min after the boarding supposedly started), and the attendants were already pressuring me to enter the flight so they could close the doors and leave my cousin behind. 4 minutes of difference and they push me to leave my cousin behind, completely inhuman behavior. If you can, avoid flying with them.
RouteSydney to ByronBay
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"I'll know better next time"

Trip Verified | They cancelled the flight 48hrs before departure. Contacted the call centre and given the option of a travel voucher or alternative travel date to the same destination a week later, only to be told they cannot guarantee that flight won't be cancelled as well. Asked if we could be transferred to a Qantas flight operating on the same day to the same destination and apparently this is not an option. I love how Jetstar choose to act and associate themselves with Qantas when it suits them. Even the survey they want you to fill out regarding the call centre phone call is from Qantas. Yet they're unwilling to help customers who still need to travel to their destination on their partner airline. Now we have to spend 14hrs in the car driving to the Gold Coast. Thanks a lot, Jetstar for a disappointing start to our holiday. I'll know better next time.
RouteSydney to Gold Coast
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"why cant I change these flights online myself"

Trip Verified | I was due to fly out today 9/1/21 at 7am but due to the Covid so they say closures they cancelled the flight and sent me an email at 9.30pm at night! I was lucky to have gone to bed late and checked my email by coincidence and there it was cancelled flight. You can imagine my disappointment as I have called them twice previously and waited 2.5hrs on the phone to speak to an operator. I thought being 11.45pm I would be waiting only like half an hour but no I waited 1.5hr. No call back facility available. Then I get a lady who was very, very rude. I told her about my disappointment since the first time I called was due to Jetstar having messed up my transfer in a way that I missed my connecting flight. No apologies for having waited so long at 1am in the morning or for the inconvenience of cancelling the flight. So I asked her to see what other flight i could take so i could make my connecting flight to which she says and 11am flight but its through Qantas and yours was through jetstar so you will have to pay the difference. I questioned her on this as i said but Qantas and Jetstar are the one company and you are the ones who cancelled the flight not me. To which she retorted `You were the one who chose Jetstar'. So then after she calculates the difference and i think this is so wrong from all levels of customer service I instead asked for a flight with Jetstar for the Sunday which is a direct flight to my destination (no transfers as I cant trust them to get it right a 3rd time). So my question to Jetstar is why such long waiting time on the phone? Even after midnight? Is the Call centre in Mumbai as only one time out of the 3 times I called I got a clearly spoken customer service agent that resolved my problem swiftly and courteously. Why do you hire Customer service agents who cannot express them selves clearly, have no aptitude or problem solving skills or desire to help the customer. This is terrible for your business as I will not book with Jetstar again to sit in a phone line 2.5hrs average is just unacceptable. Last minute changes and no apologies and rude customer service agents who can't articulate themselves properly, have attitude and down right rude. My biggest gripe is why cant I change these flights online myself? It says you can but when you go to do it it says you must call a customer agent so its a futile process deliberately done to frustrate the customer and beg for something or a service that you have already paid for but will not get.
RouteMelbourne to Prosperine
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"the vouchers were forced upon us"

Trip Verified | It is disappointing you are standing firm on your credit only policy, when flights continue to be cancelled or unsuitable due to Covid border closures. I have close to $4000 in vouchers, which I never asked for, the vouchers were forced upon us. It would be very helpful to be permitted a cash refund, and we can then rebook a suitable holiday when the pandemic is over. Forcing passengers to keep monies within your organisation when we would rather take a refund does not bode well for future bookings. I know I will actively choose another carrier in the future than place any trust in Jetstar. Would love to see goodwill offered to your passengers in the way of refunds for these credit vouchers to turn around how we feel about your airline moving forward. Help us be your raving fan.
RouteSydney to Launceston
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"makes you feel unwelcome"

Trip Verified | Staff is unfriendly and overall makes you feel unwelcome. You have to pay for every single thing, and exceeding the (tight) 7kg carry on limit even by <1kg costs $65 - feels like they're just out there to get you. Seats are uncomfortable. Australian equivalent of Ryanair.
RouteSydney to Cairns
Date FlownDecember 2020

"The worst airline ever"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | The worst airline ever. Paid for an extra oversized bag, was told that was all I needed. When I arrived they told us that we didn’t have an extra bag, that we’d just paid for an oversized bag not another one even though I was reassured that this was fine when purchased. They then tried to change us an extra $250 for the bag. We eventually agreed and watched as they took off our bag. Which is now who knows where. Will never fly with Jetstar again, no matter how cheap they are. Never have these hassles with Air NZ.
RouteQueenstown to Auckland
Date FlownNovember 2020

"not met community standards of communication"

Trip Verified | I did not get to take my flight due to COVID-19. I was provided with a flight voucher, however, after later submitting a complaint to Jetstar I was informed I was not eligible for a refund. Despite raising a number of queries regarding the inconsistent information I was provided and requesting specific details regarding the complaints process, they never responded to my concerns. Further to this, I requested the details of the ombudsmen to which the staff would not respond to. Despite multiple request for return contact, Jetstar refused. Finally after escalating my complaint to the ombudsmen, it was confirmed I was eligible for a refund. I was not advised at the time that this was an option. Jetstar refused to include information that was pertinent to the decision making process which has impacted the financial outcome. Jetstar refuse to respond to this complaint. Jetstar's complaints team continue to refuse any call back requests. By neglecting to include important decision making information, Jetstar has not met community standards of communication.
RouteMelbourne to Bali