Japan Airlines

Japan Airlines customer review

JAL roundtrip from Chicago to Tokyo last week. I could not believe the 777-300ER had no individual ventilation system per seat. Whatever the reason the result is that the economy section was extraordinarily hot and stuffy where my daughter and I were sitting - to the point where she got sick and had a mild asthma attack. For 12 hours I was sweating with no relief. The return plane was a bit better but very uneven. It would cool down only to get hot again for 45 minute stretches. Several passengers including myself complained about the poor ventilation and A/C. I walked all over the economy section and noticed that as I walked down an aisle I could literally feel the temperature change - the uneven cooling was that noticeable. JAL flight attendants heading to Narita were very sweet to my daughter who had to sit in the jump seat in the galley as it was significantly cooler. On the way back to Chicago the flight attendant I complained to who was serving our side of the economy section was rather argumentative saying some passengers complained they were cold and had extra blankets. Well hardly anyone in economy had them as it was easy to check. I called her out and asked her to prove this and then she shut up. I happened to casually chat with 3 other passengers on this leg who also complained about the atrocious ventilation/temperature. What is going on here? JAL's food is pretty bad and the section is cramped but I got what I paid for so no complaints. They were very efficient in their service all around even if the food was awful and the red wine I got had actually turned into vinegar. I shall never fly them again.

(Japan)

Narita-Amsterdam return B777-200ER. Boarding very smooth at both airports. Inflight service reasonable though flight attendants used very basic even rude English with customers whom they believed could not use Japanese which was a sharp contrast to the elegant Japanese used with Japanese passengers. The economy class seats are terrible unless you are a dwarf. They do not properly recline. The seat slides forward as the back reclines so the legs hit the seat in front: quite unsuitable for a 12-hour flight. Magic III was fair with a rather limited selection available.

(Japan)

Nagoya - Bangkok return. JAL offered very good prices for the 6 hour trip so that was the main reason it was chosen over Thai Airways. The flight to Bangkok was an early evening flight which was quite reasonable. The plane was clean and recently refurbished updated IFE and new covers for economy seats. We ordered the vegetarian meal which was reasonable. The seats were newer and wider which was a vast improvement on the older planes JAL still uses. Service was fine when you asked for it but FAs were not very attentive. IFE was fine and had some good movies. The plane on the return journey was much older seats older and narrower design. Not very comfortable but had plenty of leg space as my wife and I got exit seats. This flight was overnight and we got little sleep and didn't eat anything as we were too tired. My wife was feeling queasy for the whole flight but the FA who was sitting opposite us went beyond the call of duty and constantly asked if there was anything she could do to make my wife more comfortable - she gave us extra blankets and chatted to us during the flight.

Japan Airlines customer review

BNE-NRT-BNE both sectors on aged B767-300 operated by Jalways crew. The cabin seats 6 abreast which felt too cramped for a business experience - seats are showing their age with limited functionality and no better than a domestic business class or international premium economy seat. Adequate for daytime flight only. The Magic-III inflight entertainment system worked - however I was disappointed by the range and selection of movies available. The in-flight service differed dramatically. On our flight to Narita we had a wonderful crew led by a Thai-based purser - hard working always in the cabin and a wonderful inflight experience which made up for the substandard cabin. On our return it was the opposite. The service was chaotic and disorganised. The business cabin was full and it was over 2 hours after boarding before we were even offered a drink. This is an overnight flight departing Narita ~2130 so the entire meal service should have been completed by 2 hours into the flight to ensure we had sufficient time to rest. However we hadn't even been offered a drink. We were exhausted after travelling in from Los Angeles so my partner walked down to the galley and requested a snack and a bottle of water. This was promptly provided for us but you could tell our request was not appreciated. The cabin temperature was hot during both flights and the air quality seemed stuffy and overly dry. Requests to lower the air temperature was denied as I was quoted "that the Japanese passengers feel the cold". Overall if flying JAL again on this route I would save the money and fly economy.

Japan Airlines customer review

BNE-NRT Discount Business Class Fare to connect to Finnair flights to Europe. Meticulous service with good food and wine. B767-300 showing its age a little and as the business cabin was full I had a sense of claustrophobia. I recall JAL used to operate larger B747-400s on this run until a year or so ago so it would be nice to see this type of larger type of aircraft or similar used on this route again. Nevertheless an excellent flight with superb service.

Japan Airlines customer review

NRT-SFO on B777-300ER with the new first class suites. The food was phenomenal and service was second to none. The cabin crew made me feel welcome and they took care of every little need. They were so polite and willing. I have flown every class on JAL and I would recommend it.
Seat TypeFirst Class

Japan Airlines customer review

LHR-NRT-LHR booked economy only to get upgraded to business as economy was full with a lot of group bookings. Was lucky enough to get a bulkhead seat in business which had great legroom. Lie flat seats were excellent. Food was the best I have had on an airline and drink available at all times. Flight crew very attentive.

Japan Airlines customer review

London Heathrow - Tokyo - Sydney. My first time in JAL as I had booked a FF Award seat on QF (LHR-SYD) and it turned out it was on JAL. Easy check-in great lounge. Service on board was better than I expected - B777-300ER on leg 1 B777-200 on leg 2. Very nice Japanese food possibly the best I have eaten in Economy. Great FAs happy to do their best to help with our young child. Ample legroom and happy to serve food out of normal service times if required. Very good first experience overall.

Japan Airlines customer review

Rome to Tokyo. For a 12 hour flight it was very reasonable. Its fortunate I got an exit row seat otherwise I think I would have died. Im 6ft 5 and pretty thin so the width of the seat didn't bother me but if you are even slightly overweight I think you would find the seats uncomfortable. Service of staff on JAL is exceptional they are so wonderful happy and willing to help. This was a night flight but I didn't sleep. Also the inflight entertainment is woefully inadequate by today standards. Movies & TV shows are not on demand you have to wait until the movie/tv show restarts - very frustrating on a long haul flight. Probably wont fly again if it can be avoided.

Japan Airlines customer review

Singapore to KL on B767-300 in Y class. Managed to get a good deal from Zuji website for S$103 including taxes (return). Travelled with family and 2 kids. Were given bulkhead seats on both sectors. Singapore-Kl was about 40% full. Flight was from KIX with a stopover in Singapore. Thus managed to get some seats from the back with my infant daughter. Was given packet of apple juice and disposable wet wipes. FA polite and offered more wet wipes when they saw me having a sandwich. Flight map shown during the flight. KL to Singapore was about 60% full a newer B767-300. Cushions were thinner compared to ANA Y Class. Don't think it would be comfortable for a flight for more than 6 hrs to KIX due to thin cushions. Overall flight was comfortable for a short flight and a bargain.