Japan Airlines

"refund is not immediate"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | My parents and I are on vacation to attend my brother's graduation in Canada. We are now required to look for alternatives on our own because JAL cancelled our flight to Malaysia a couple of days prior to our flight due to it being an overnight transit. They are not assisting with alternatives and the only compensation they offer is a refund which is not immediate or a flight 4 months from now. I was told it was my fault for purchasing a ticket with overnight stay. And why is cancellation notice only given through calls and at the very last minute?
RouteVancouver to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownMay 2022

"sit together in the middle row"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | My wife and I flied JAL economy class back from Japan to Thailand early this month. The check-in was very good, The staff were very nice and efficient. We have made prior window seat booking to sit together, however, we were informed that JAl change the type of plane from B77 to B787 which is smaller, So we were not assigned to sit together by the window. Instead they assigned us to sit together in the middle row of 2-4-2 which means that we had other passengers on both side which made us very uncomfortable throughout the flight. The service is good, the food is OK.
RouteTokyo Haneda to Bangkok
Date FlownJune 2022

"service was good and the food was nice"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | My wife and I choose JAL business class night flight from Bangkok to Tokyo (Haneda Airport) because we expect to have good service and some good rest. Wr found the configuration business class seat of JAL Boeing 787 is quite unexpected. The seat configuration is 2-2-2 which make the seat not so large. We can not make flat bed but rather tilted bed which make us unable to sleep. Otherwise the service was good and the food was nice. We do hope that JAL may make some change regarding business seat.
RouteBangkok to Tokyo Haneda
Date FlownMay 2022

"The best airline I’ve flown with"

Not Verified | The best airline I’ve flown with. Everything is great and professional. Their food is generous and it’s the best airplane’s food I’ve ever had. One of their restroom is bigger than other airlines. My flight was delayed for more than an hour, and they sent us an email to apologize. I really appreciate that. Wifi is reliable and fast. I can video call my family from the plane.
RouteTan Son Nhat to San Francisco via Tokyo
Date FlownMay 2022

"They asked me–nearly constantly–if I'd like something else to eat or drink"

Trip Verified | I want to give every person who works for this airline a massive hug. Typically, flying economy from New York to Japan is a nightmare at around $900. This was not the case for Japan Airlines–let me count the bidets. They gave us ice cream. They asked me–nearly constantly–if I'd like something else to eat or drink. I had an entire row to myself–as did nearly everyone else on the plane. I slept, I worked. I have to say that–like everything else I know about Japan (very little) the plane exhibited a kind of antiquated futurism. Unlike most modern airplanes, it didn't have a plug for my laptop or really any movies I wanted to see. But that just meant I ended up not having to do too much work and I got to see the ending of Kenneth Branagh's Orient Express. Also, the bathroom lavatory has a heated toilet seat.
RouteNew York JFK to Tokyo-Haneda
Date FlownApril 2022

"it was good value for the money"

Trip Verified | This was the second time that I've flown with JAL, but the first time in almost 20 years. Service on the ground and aboard the plane was good. I ordered a specialty meal and the food was okay. For both legs of the flight, I received a total of 3.5 meals. The half-meal consisted of a small sandwich. The aircraft was only about 60 percent full during the NRT-JFK leg, so I was able to occupy all three seats on my row. That came in handy when it came time to nap, as I could lie flat across all three seats. It still wasn't as comfortable as a real bed, but it was better than sleeping sitting up. JAL's inflight entertainment offerings could use some improvement, though. Its selection wasn't as extensive as those of comparable airlines. But, given the price I paid for my ticket during the pandemic, I'd say it was good value for the money.
RouteHong Kong to New York via Tokyo
Date FlownApril 2022

"trying to reach JAL customer service"

Trip Verified | For several days now I have been trying to reach JAL customer service to amend my return travel dates but have not succeeded. I called on different days and at different times. On every occasion, I was put on hold by the recorder for almost 2 hours where I was so frustrated and angry that I couldn't wait any longer. I am a Skyteam member and I chose JAL from many other carriers thinking that they are major airlines with customer service awareness and reliable after-sales support. However, It seems that I was totally wrong and disappointed. I would not recommend JAL to anyone with a flexible flying schedule as they will be disappointed as I was.
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Tokyo
Date FlownApril 2022

"food portions were very small"

Trip Verified | The cabin crew were amazing, the food portions were very small for someone 6'2" but okay. The in flight entertainment was rubbish. Arrival at Haneda, had to walk miles to get to the lounge. Food in the lounge awful, drinks only open from 11 am to 8pm, and we had connected flight next morning at around 11am. Lounge closed at 11pm and 12 business class passengers had to sleep in the airport.
RouteTokyo to London
Date FlownMarch 2022

"wonderful and superb customer service"

(Philippines)

Not Verified | Thank you Japan Airlines for taking care of my Mom on her flight going back to US. From the airport ticketing office, to airport staff and airplane crew. My mom had a super nice and amazing flight experience going back to US. Special commendation and mention to Jerald Rosa of JAL NAIA 1, for assisting and accommodating us in all our inquiries even it is already out of his shift and was about to go home. Indeed giving an extra mile in helping us and answering all our clarifications especially during my Mom’s departure at the Airport when I am no longer there to assist her. Jerald and other JAL staff made sure she is okay and assisted her on all her needs. Really customer obsession and bias for action. Definitely a great and amazing first time with Japan Airlines and definitely will not only be the first. Kudos and continue giving a wonderful and superb customer service.
RouteManila to Los Angeles via Tokyo
Date FlownMarch 2022

"great flight with good food and staff"

Not Verified | My family was flying from India to US through Japan airlines. My father tested positive for Covid and that was 8 hours before the flight departure and had to cancel the flight. The customer service agent I connected to named Shaik helped us in this situation in processing cancellation for the flight. My rest of the family was able to travel safely and had a great flight with good food and staff was helpful as well. It took some time for us to get connected to the India office but once we did Shaik helped us with everything right away and was also helping us navigate this situation through emails.
Date FlownJanuary 2022