Japan Airlines

"flight attendants were courteous"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | It is a short distance from Tokyo to Seoul (2 hours). Nevertheless, this airline flies an aircraft with full-flat, all-isle business-class seats for this route, which I liked very much. they have spacious lounge with a choice of drinks in Haneda, and flight attendants were courteous. On return at Gimpo airport, the Korean lounge was small and overcrowded. The only thing they should do is to warn business-class passengers not to slam shut their tables, because this annoys their front passengers severely.
RouteTokyo to Seoul
Date FlownJuly 2019

"cabin crew were friendly"

Trip Verified | Akita to Sapporo. This flight was operated by J-Air. A fast and friendly check-in was followed by an effortless, punctual and enjoyable flight. The cabin crew were friendly, although there was no onboard service on this flight (possibly due to turbulence). Baggage arrived quickly (all thoughtfully placed on the carousel with the handles facing out). I was on a train into town within 25 minutes of touch-down.
AircraftE170
RouteAkita to Sapporo
Date FlownJuly 2019

"the seats spacious enough"

Trip Verified | Osaka Itami to Sapporo. Check-in was remarkably quick and friendly. There were few passengers at the airport, possibly due to the G20 summit in Osaka at the time. Boarding was smooth, and the cabin crew were friendly and efficient. The plane was spotlessly clean and the seats spacious enough for a 90-minute flight. No food was served, only a soft drink or hot drink. The plane was perfectly on time.
RouteOsaka Itami to Sapporo
Date FlownJune 2019

"Best airline I have ever flown"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Tokyo Haneda. Best airline I have ever flown. Economy class seats have enough of space to stretch your legs - im 5'11", food is on business class level when compared to any US or European based carriers. 2 checked baggage pieces standard, its employees don't panhandle for extra fees. Remember all the glamour of the airline travelling from 30 years ago? It still lives on with JAL!
RouteSan Francisco to Tokyo Haneda
Date FlownJune 2019

"requested a full refund"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Tokyo . We purchased an air ticket for my wife to travel to visit family in Tokyo, Japan, on JAL. The ticket was purchased via GoToGate travel - purchased on 4/3/2019 for travel beginning on 6/25/2019 at a cost of approximately $1200. Unfortunately, after booking and upon inspection of her travel document, she discovered a typographical error in her first name. On the ticket, her first name (four letters) has an extra letter (ii instead of i) rather than the correct spelling. We're not sure how this happened, and were quite surprised to see it. We made repeated attempts to rectify this situation and get the typo corrected. We contacted GoToGate by phone and email multiple times. We contacted JAL by phone and email multiple times. We drove to the airport in San Diego and asked for help at the JAL desk. We contacted Alaska Air. Though our efforts did receive some replies, none were satisfactory. The typo remains on the ticket. Given the fact that TSA or the Airline may stop her at Airport Security Screening, or stop her from boarding the flight, she is not willing to use the ticket. Therefore, we have requested a full refund for the amount of the ticket, minus an appropriate handling fee, so that her booking via Go To Gate on Alaska and JAL will available, and so that some other passenger may book travel on the seat. We believe that the airline and the travel agency have a moral obligation and responsibility to serve customers to the best of their abilities, and to rectify this kind of situation. Moreover, both the airline, the travel agency, and other customers stand to benefit by allowing the seat to be used by another customer. We are aware of the airline policies and practices regarding refunds and changes, yet we believe certain situations are exceptional and require flexibility. At this point, all we can do is chalk it up to corporate greed and feel a simmering anger over our loss.
RouteSeattle to Tokyo

"attendants were incredible"

Trip Verified | My first flight was from Vancouver to Tokyo and I was so disappointed in the business class not having full lay flat seats and having to step over the passenger beside me every time I had to go to the washroom. The service was mediocre at best. I felt like it was premium economy. What saved Japan airlines for me was the flight from Tokyo to Delhi. It was like night and day. The seats are 1-2-1 configuration so you have a lot of privacy. The seats had lots of storage space and the tv was huge. The flight attendants were incredible, always walking by to see if we needed anything and the bathroom was clean. I don't know why there was such a big difference in the flights. But Japan Airlines is now my second favorite after EVA Air. But beware as some planes are still the old horrible configuration.
RouteTokyo to Delhi

"food was terrific"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Jakarta via Tokyo. The cabin crew was so friendly and polite. They smile from the heart. The food was terrific, it was amazing. I will use this airline again.
RouteLos Angeles to Jakarta via Tokyo

"such a disappointment"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Ho Chi Minh City via Tokyo. I was very frustrated of how JAL treats its customer in my latest flight. My flight was through 02 transits each for the arrival and return trip, and most of the flights which were run in cooperation between JAL and American Airlines had at least 30 min delay but I was fine about that. However, in my second flight upon return after the first transit, JAL was late for 1 hour and 20 mins due to maintenance issue, whilst my connecting flight (the final one to return home) is only 1 hour from the previous flight's arrival time. When we got to NRT, the connecting flight has not yet departed, and was still boarding, but instead of guiding us to the gate so that we can be on board quickly (which may take approx. 10 mins), they threw us to another airline, with an additional transit (KL) and additional 10 hours flight and waiting at the KL airport. What is even more frustrating is the JAL staff who gave us the new ticket, she said in the first place when we just arrived, running and confused: JAL arranged another flight by which we can get home at midnight on the same day ?. Only when we recheck our tickets it appears that we have to wait 5 hours at KL and arrive at 10:00AM the next day. (The group that were left from the final flight was about 6 people). When we asked about our luggage, she said that our luggage is already transferred to the final destination and we don't have to worry about them - should we not worry if the luggage arrive before us? Later, I checked with another girl at the counter, she said that our luggage are coming with us on this flight, and it is the airlines rule that the luggage must fly together with the passenger. Everything happened today was such a disappointment and created a bad impression to me about JAL. We waited for them to be late for 01 hr and 20 min, whilst they cannot wait for us just a few minutes so we can get to the gate and come home after 14 flight hours, just to be on time on THAT flight, as if they are very punctual and never delay.. One of the guy left in the group said that he had a flight with JAL before and the same issue happened. I will never use your service again!
RouteLos Angeles to Ho Chi Minh City via Tokyo
Date FlownMay 2019

"the most polite and courteous cabin crew"

Trip Verified | Singapore Changi to Tokyo Narita. The best thing about Japan Airlines was that, among other airlines I had flown with, they had the most polite and courteous cabin crew. In other areas, there was not much to pick on either. The seat was quite comfortable with a rather generous amount of leg space (I am 176cm tall). The movies available were quite up-to-date too. The only downside, if I must mention any, was that I was not given the option of choosing my seat.
RouteSingapore Changi to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownMay 2019

"deserves it 5-star status"

Trip Verified | Japan Airlines offers 2 nonstop flights from New York JFK to Tokyo, and this is the later one to the more central Haneda airport. The airline is one of the 4 main operators at JFK Terminal One, but it is the only of the 4 that does not have its own lounge at JFK. They offer their premium passengers access to Lufthansa's Senator Lounge instead. Boarding was quite nice and in order, something that I have not seen in Terminal One for a long time. The F Sky Suite was nicely designed and spacious, with ample storage space. Meals were good and nicely presented, as expected from a leading F product. Staff are respectful and accommodating. I picked the Japanese menu but also expressed that I liked caviar, which belonged to the Western menu, and the attendant happily obliged. She also offered to make my bed in the suite across the aisle (the cabin was only half full) so I can continue to use my suite for lounging and the other for sleeping. Such small initiatives made a difference between good and excellent service. It should be noted that, unlike many other first class suites, the Sky Suite does not have a personal closet to hang your clothes. After I changed and exited the WC, an attendant already waited outside with a hanger offering to hang my clothes for me. What a valet service. Overall, I think Japan Airlines First Class product deserves it 5-star status.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER