Japan Airlines

"best airline I have taken so far"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Japan Airlines is the best airline I have taken so far, and it stands out because of the consistent proactive and friendly service from crew members. They were very hardworking during the flight. I saw them walking around the cabin serving drinks and snacks to passengers who did not sleep between meal services. The toilets were kept really clean throughout the flight. Further, they turned off the personal TV of passengers who have slept to avoid disturbance to other passengers due to the light. Call button was answered within seconds. I sneezed during the flight and one of the crew members immediately popped over and asked if everything was ok and if I needed a blanket or warm water. This is economy class and I can say the service standard is better than business class of many airlines.
RouteDallas to Tokyo
Date FlownApril 2021

"they can't offer me anything"

Trip Verified | I was sent an email that said that my flight was cancelled. Apparently, my flight wasn't cancelled, and the exclusions were buried in the email under the change flight or get a refund section. I went online as suggested and requested a refund, only to be charged $300. I called the company and was told very rudely that I should have called first and that they'll have to call me back. No one called me back. I call again, and this person tells me that my flight wasn't cancelled. I said that I received an email to the contrary. Well, I send them that and was told that my flight isn't actually cancelled. So, I say can I just rebook it or at least get a credit since I still plan on flying. I was told flat out no. So, even though they sent me a very misleading email, it was my fault, and they can't offer me anything. I didn't care about getting my money back. But a credit would have been nice since the email seemed designed to mislead others. I didn't even require the full credit, just something since what they did was horribly misleading.
RouteHonolulu to Tokyo
Date FlownApril 2021

"this airline deserves a five-star review"

Trip Verified | Excellent food for an airplane choice. Excellent personnel at the airport. Excellent flight attendants, pleasant and polite which is very far from the standard of American Airlines. JAL pilot also greeted us politely too. In summary, this airline deserves a five-star review! Continue to be excellent!
RouteChicago to Manila via Tokyo
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Exceeded expectations"

Not Verified | Exceeded expectations, far better than any US airline, flew back in January 2020 before the COVID 19 pandemic. Flight attendants and ground staff were attentive, Food was flavorful, and seat was comfortable.
RouteLos Angeles to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownNovember 2020

"one of the truly best airlines in the world"

Trip Verified | Found a great deal and flew with JAL when I traveled from southeast Texas to Singapore. JAL staff in Seattle weren't particularly friendly, but JAL staff at Narita were quite pleasant and helpful in my brief interactions with them. The quality of the meal and drinks were quite satisfactory for economy class. They had a decent selection of entertainment from around the world, including some Japanese movies that I ended up watching with English subtitles. The plane and lavatories were clean; the on-flight personnel, the utmost in being pleasant and professional. One flight attendant in particular, Cindy from Singapore, chatted with me about Singapore for a minute and wished me safe and enjoyable travels to that city. Something else: I got up and went to the toilet, and came back only to find my neck pillow missing (I'm convinced that some passenger stole it. Who does that, steal a nondescript black neck pillow?!) At any rate, I disembarked the plane after landing at Narita; right before walking out of the jetway, I still wanted to try to at least make one more effort to find that neck pillow. I explained to the flight staff that I was looking for a pillow, and it had gone missing. 5-6 flight attendants sprung into action, with me, to look for that pillow. While it was never found, I made sure to smile and say "Thank you!" I have a hard time imagining that that level of service would ever occur on a North American airline. The only reason that I've reduced JAL's rating from 9 to 7, is because trying to call, email or contact them otherwise through my online JAL account about changing flights is absolutely like pulling teeth (this has been a problem for a different trip than this one). JAL desperately needs to work on aspects of their off-flight customer service, at least for non-Japanese customers. Nonetheless, they're still one of the truly best airlines in the world.
RouteSeattle to Singapore via Tokyo Narita
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Impressed with experience"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Tokyo Narita on Boeing 777. Nice Staff. Fresh Salad, Clean Cabin Wide seat and Seat pitch. Clean Bathroom. Impressed with experience. I would not hesitate to travel with JAL in the future.
RouteBangkok to Tokyo
Date FlownAugust 2020

"best airline I have traveled with"

Trip Verified | I traveled back and forth from Paris to Tokyo with Japan Airlines and it is by far the best airline I have traveled with. I am a great traveler, since I work in tourism. I found the staff at check-in and on board, welcoming, helpful, attentive and available. The meal trays were plentiful and very good as well as the snacks between each service. Finally the space between the seats is wide, which allows the legs to unfold well, the size of the screen was also perfect. I have traveled pleasantly, I would take over this company without hesitation and for my customers too. FR: J'ai voyagé en aller/retour Paris -Tokyo avec Japan Airlines et c'est de loin la meilleure compagnie avec laquelle j'ai voyagé. Je suis une grande voyageuse, puisque je travaille dans le tourisme. J'ai trouvé le personnel à l'enregistrement et à bord, accueillant, serviable, à l'écoute et disponible. Les plateaux repas étaient copieux et très bons ainsi que les en-cas entre chaque prestation. Enfin l'espace entre les sièges est large, ce qui permet de bien dérouler ses jambes, la taille de l'écran était parfait également. J'ai agréablement voyagé, je reprendrais cette compagnie sans hésitation et pour mes clients également.
RouteParis to Tokyo Haneda
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"processed 1 day before their policy update"

Trip Verified | I am so disappointed with JAL charging a cancellation fee on my ticket from Melbourne to Tokyo in this time of crisis. As Australia announced a travel ban on March 17, my family and I had to cancel our trip to Japan. Upon receiving my refund in my account however I noticed that I was short $1200. Upon contacting the JAL Australia office however, I was told that there had been a cancellation fee applied, as my refund was processed 1 day before their policy update.
RouteMelbourne to Tokyo
Date FlownMarch 2020

"definitely fly Japan Airlines again"

Trip Verified | Tokyo Narita to Singapore. Arrived at Narita at 5:30pm to check in my luggage. Couldn’t find the business check-in and the JAL ground crew could see I was in distress from missing the flight. Pulled to her counter and helped me out along the way. Checked me in Super efficiently (less than 5 minutes) and got another ground staff to rush me to the get. Thanks to the checkin staff and the ground staff who ran me to my gate so calmly. Could see Imei (the ground crew) tried to calm me down while rushing to my gate. Excellent service. From both ground crew, will definitely fly Japan Airlines again.
RouteTokyo Narita to Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"putting me on a Finnair flight"

Trip Verified | I booked a premium economy ticket with Japan Airlines from Paris to Sydney. My flight leaving Paris with Finnair was delayed. There was only an hour between connecting flights so I missed my connecting flight from Helsinki to Tokyo. Upon arriving in Helsinki I was met by someone from Finnair who said they were putting me on a Finnair flight. I asked them what what class I was being put in as my ticket was premium economy and I knew Finnair didn't offer premium economy. They told me it was economy and that there was nothing they could do. I queried this with several people before I boarded the plane which didn't seem to go down well with anybody. I was told I was holding the plane up, to get on the plane and to contact customer service when I landed. I did get on the plane and endured 9 hours of a cramped seat. I contacted Japan Airlines when I got back to complain about this and to ask for a refund for this part of my flight. Japan Airlines have told me it is not their problem and I have to contact Finnair. I asked several questions in my letter - who decided I was being put on a Finnair flight, was Japan Airlines given the option of waiting for my flight, why wasn't I asked if I wanted to fly the next day on a Japan Airlines flight. None of these questions have been answered. I am slightly confused why I would be writing to an airline that I have not paid for a ticket to ask for a refund - ie Finnair. My tickets were booked through Japan Airlines so surely it is their responsibility to deal with issues/complaints from their tickets holders. I have written to Japan Airlines three times and got the same response each time, with one response finishing with "I do hope you will fly Japan Airlines again". My flight from Sydney to Paris which was actually with Japan Airlines went without a fault. They have a fantastic premium economy product. Plenty of space and legroom. Even though the food served is the same as in economy it was some of the best airline food I have tasted and the service was fantastic too. I actually thought I had found a really good value for money alternative to business class. I am aware things can go wrong and sometimes missing connecting flights is out of anyone's control. However the way my complaint has been handled left me astounded. There has been zero care factor or empathy.
RouteParis to Tokyo via Helsinki