Japan Airlines

"one of the truly best airlines in the world"

Trip Verified | Found a great deal and flew with JAL when I traveled from southeast Texas to Singapore. JAL staff in Seattle weren't particularly friendly, but JAL staff at Narita were quite pleasant and helpful in my brief interactions with them. The quality of the meal and drinks were quite satisfactory for economy class. They had a decent selection of entertainment from around the world, including some Japanese movies that I ended up watching with English subtitles. The plane and lavatories were clean; the on-flight personnel, the utmost in being pleasant and professional. One flight attendant in particular, Cindy from Singapore, chatted with me about Singapore for a minute and wished me safe and enjoyable travels to that city. Something else: I got up and went to the toilet, and came back only to find my neck pillow missing (I'm convinced that some passenger stole it. Who does that, steal a nondescript black neck pillow?!) At any rate, I disembarked the plane after landing at Narita; right before walking out of the jetway, I still wanted to try to at least make one more effort to find that neck pillow. I explained to the flight staff that I was looking for a pillow, and it had gone missing. 5-6 flight attendants sprung into action, with me, to look for that pillow. While it was never found, I made sure to smile and say "Thank you!" I have a hard time imagining that that level of service would ever occur on a North American airline. The only reason that I've reduced JAL's rating from 9 to 7, is because trying to call, email or contact them otherwise through my online JAL account about changing flights is absolutely like pulling teeth (this has been a problem for a different trip than this one). JAL desperately needs to work on aspects of their off-flight customer service, at least for non-Japanese customers. Nonetheless, they're still one of the truly best airlines in the world.
RouteSeattle to Singapore via Tokyo Narita

"Impressed with experience"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Tokyo Narita on Boeing 777. Nice Staff. Fresh Salad, Clean Cabin Wide seat and Seat pitch. Clean Bathroom. Impressed with experience. I would not hesitate to travel with JAL in the future.
RouteBangkok to Tokyo
Date FlownAugust 2020

"best airline I have traveled with"

Trip Verified | I traveled back and forth from Paris to Tokyo with Japan Airlines and it is by far the best airline I have traveled with. I am a great traveler, since I work in tourism. I found the staff at check-in and on board, welcoming, helpful, attentive and available. The meal trays were plentiful and very good as well as the snacks between each service. Finally the space between the seats is wide, which allows the legs to unfold well, the size of the screen was also perfect. I have traveled pleasantly, I would take over this company without hesitation and for my customers too. FR: J'ai voyagé en aller/retour Paris -Tokyo avec Japan Airlines et c'est de loin la meilleure compagnie avec laquelle j'ai voyagé. Je suis une grande voyageuse, puisque je travaille dans le tourisme. J'ai trouvé le personnel à l'enregistrement et à bord, accueillant, serviable, à l'écoute et disponible. Les plateaux repas étaient copieux et très bons ainsi que les en-cas entre chaque prestation. Enfin l'espace entre les sièges est large, ce qui permet de bien dérouler ses jambes, la taille de l'écran était parfait également. J'ai agréablement voyagé, je reprendrais cette compagnie sans hésitation et pour mes clients également.
RouteParis to Tokyo Haneda
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"processed 1 day before their policy update"

Trip Verified | I am so disappointed with JAL charging a cancellation fee on my ticket from Melbourne to Tokyo in this time of crisis. As Australia announced a travel ban on March 17, my family and I had to cancel our trip to Japan. Upon receiving my refund in my account however I noticed that I was short $1200. Upon contacting the JAL Australia office however, I was told that there had been a cancellation fee applied, as my refund was processed 1 day before their policy update.
RouteMelbourne to Tokyo
Date FlownMarch 2020

"definitely fly Japan Airlines again"

Trip Verified | Tokyo Narita to Singapore. Arrived at Narita at 5:30pm to check in my luggage. Couldn’t find the business check-in and the JAL ground crew could see I was in distress from missing the flight. Pulled to her counter and helped me out along the way. Checked me in Super efficiently (less than 5 minutes) and got another ground staff to rush me to the get. Thanks to the checkin staff and the ground staff who ran me to my gate so calmly. Could see Imei (the ground crew) tried to calm me down while rushing to my gate. Excellent service. From both ground crew, will definitely fly Japan Airlines again.
RouteTokyo Narita to Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"putting me on a Finnair flight"

Trip Verified | I booked a premium economy ticket with Japan Airlines from Paris to Sydney. My flight leaving Paris with Finnair was delayed. There was only an hour between connecting flights so I missed my connecting flight from Helsinki to Tokyo. Upon arriving in Helsinki I was met by someone from Finnair who said they were putting me on a Finnair flight. I asked them what what class I was being put in as my ticket was premium economy and I knew Finnair didn't offer premium economy. They told me it was economy and that there was nothing they could do. I queried this with several people before I boarded the plane which didn't seem to go down well with anybody. I was told I was holding the plane up, to get on the plane and to contact customer service when I landed. I did get on the plane and endured 9 hours of a cramped seat. I contacted Japan Airlines when I got back to complain about this and to ask for a refund for this part of my flight. Japan Airlines have told me it is not their problem and I have to contact Finnair. I asked several questions in my letter - who decided I was being put on a Finnair flight, was Japan Airlines given the option of waiting for my flight, why wasn't I asked if I wanted to fly the next day on a Japan Airlines flight. None of these questions have been answered. I am slightly confused why I would be writing to an airline that I have not paid for a ticket to ask for a refund - ie Finnair. My tickets were booked through Japan Airlines so surely it is their responsibility to deal with issues/complaints from their tickets holders. I have written to Japan Airlines three times and got the same response each time, with one response finishing with "I do hope you will fly Japan Airlines again". My flight from Sydney to Paris which was actually with Japan Airlines went without a fault. They have a fantastic premium economy product. Plenty of space and legroom. Even though the food served is the same as in economy it was some of the best airline food I have tasted and the service was fantastic too. I actually thought I had found a really good value for money alternative to business class. I am aware things can go wrong and sometimes missing connecting flights is out of anyone's control. However the way my complaint has been handled left me astounded. There has been zero care factor or empathy.
RouteParis to Tokyo via Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2019

"gave us no information"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Vancouver. They turned the plane around halfway to Vancouver for what they said was an injury, which didn't make any sense because if it was an emergency we could have landed in Hawaii as opposed to flying four hours back the way we came. They gave us no information, flew us to a different airport than we started in, refused to get us a hotel, and it took 12 hours for the flight to leave again, and we weren't allowed to leave the gate because it was too complicated. They refused compensation or tell us how to file a complaint. Service was horrible, little to no information, and they were still two hours late taking off on the recovery flight with us stuck in our seats on the tarmac that whole time, then it took nearly two hours to get our baggage in Vancouver. Once in Canada, a supervisor refused to tell me how I could file a claim or complaint, which is illegal. They did try to force me to accept a gift card and sign a piece of paper in Japanese, which I refused.
RouteTokyo to Vancouver

"seat had no storage"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Tokyo. Did not get off to a good start when Business check in was cluttered with Economy passengers, then ushered to Economy desk. Lounge was an insult to business class passengers. On board, the seat while comfortable, had no storage (window), aisles had some. First business class flight I have flown where a welcome drink was not offered. Amenity kit had no socks. I did not eat on the aircraft, but the flight crew were attentive and polite. I doubt I would choose this airline again for business class travel, which is a shame as I had previously flown Premium Economy and found them brilliant.
RouteMelbourne to Tokyo
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"best economy class experiences"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to San Diego via Tokyo. This just might be the best economy class experiences I've had up to this point. The food was amazing - extremely delicate and exquisite. The flow of the service was great and the crew's interaction between passengers was natural and polite. Though flying in economy, I can see JAL incorporates some unique elements into the flight (such as beverages, magazines, and movies). Japan Airlines is the only airline worldwide offering a 2-4-2 config for B787. The pitch and legroom were way beyond satisfactory. Ground services were efficient in both Pudong and Narita and each boarding group was lined separately. Won't hesitate to fly with JAL in the future.
AircraftBoeing 738 & 788
RouteShanghai to San Diego via Tokyo

"JL did not disappoint"

Not Verified | Flew with Japan Airlines for first time. There was a 2 hour delay from Vancouver due to bad weather. Airline offered us a meal voucher. It was a full flight and like any other review JL did not disappoint. Staff were polite and flight was uneventful. Ground staff at Narita were very helpful and extremely polite. A few suggestions I like to make. Although there are snacks, it will be a good idea to offer hot noodles (like Cathay offers). The inflight system was mostly in Japanese but it didn't bother me, as I had my music on my cell phone.
RouteVancouver to Kuala Lumpur via Narita