Japan Airlines

Japan Airlines customer review

Trip Verified | Narita to Vancouver, on a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. This Airline as a whole is superb. We are in pandemic, but even though the cabin crew's covered with face masks. it didn't hinder them to show casing the real smiles of how we are welcomed and accommodated on board as we fly high above 40k feet. This JAL cabin crew JL18 delivered an exceptional support and service. I had the lowest economy ticket but as a customer, all my expectations were overly met. I'm on an economy ticket but I was treated as VIP.
RouteTokyo to Vancouver
Date FlownJune 2021

"all my expectations were overly met"

Trip Verified | This review is based on my own flying experience. I have never travelled internationally, Japan Airlines 787-8 Dreamliner Flight Number 746 was the first international flight I had. This Airline as a whole is superb. I almost forgot that we are flying thousands of feet above air because of the warm welcome and support by Japan Airlines 746 Cabin Crew on board. We are in a pandemic, but even though the cabin crew were covered with face masks it didn't hinder them in showcasing the real smiles of how we are welcomed and accommodated on board. I worked in customer service for over a decade now, and this JAL cabin crew delivered an exceptional support and service. Thank you JAL Flight 746 for your best among the rest support and service. Don't worry about your ticket, I had the lowest economy ticket but as a customer, all my expectations were overly met.
AircraftBoeing 787-8 Dreamliner
RouteManila to Tokyo
Date FlownJune 2021

"best airline I have taken so far"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Japan Airlines is the best airline I have taken so far, and it stands out because of the consistent proactive and friendly service from crew members. They were very hardworking during the flight. I saw them walking around the cabin serving drinks and snacks to passengers who did not sleep between meal services. The toilets were kept really clean throughout the flight. Further, they turned off the personal TV of passengers who have slept to avoid disturbance to other passengers due to the light. Call button was answered within seconds. I sneezed during the flight and one of the crew members immediately popped over and asked if everything was ok and if I needed a blanket or warm water. This is economy class and I can say the service standard is better than business class of many airlines.
RouteDallas to Tokyo
Date FlownApril 2021

"they can't offer me anything"

Trip Verified | I was sent an email that said that my flight was cancelled. Apparently, my flight wasn't cancelled, and the exclusions were buried in the email under the change flight or get a refund section. I went online as suggested and requested a refund, only to be charged $300. I called the company and was told very rudely that I should have called first and that they'll have to call me back. No one called me back. I call again, and this person tells me that my flight wasn't cancelled. I said that I received an email to the contrary. Well, I send them that and was told that my flight isn't actually cancelled. So, I say can I just rebook it or at least get a credit since I still plan on flying. I was told flat out no. So, even though they sent me a very misleading email, it was my fault, and they can't offer me anything. I didn't care about getting my money back. But a credit would have been nice since the email seemed designed to mislead others. I didn't even require the full credit, just something since what they did was horribly misleading.
RouteHonolulu to Tokyo
Date FlownApril 2021

"this airline deserves a five-star review"

Trip Verified | Excellent food for an airplane choice. Excellent personnel at the airport. Excellent flight attendants, pleasant and polite which is very far from the standard of American Airlines. JAL pilot also greeted us politely too. In summary, this airline deserves a five-star review! Continue to be excellent!
RouteChicago to Manila via Tokyo
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Exceeded expectations"

Not Verified | Exceeded expectations, far better than any US airline, flew back in January 2020 before the COVID 19 pandemic. Flight attendants and ground staff were attentive, Food was flavorful, and seat was comfortable.
RouteLos Angeles to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownNovember 2020

"one of the truly best airlines in the world"

Trip Verified | Found a great deal and flew with JAL when I traveled from southeast Texas to Singapore. JAL staff in Seattle weren't particularly friendly, but JAL staff at Narita were quite pleasant and helpful in my brief interactions with them. The quality of the meal and drinks were quite satisfactory for economy class. They had a decent selection of entertainment from around the world, including some Japanese movies that I ended up watching with English subtitles. The plane and lavatories were clean; the on-flight personnel, the utmost in being pleasant and professional. One flight attendant in particular, Cindy from Singapore, chatted with me about Singapore for a minute and wished me safe and enjoyable travels to that city. Something else: I got up and went to the toilet, and came back only to find my neck pillow missing (I'm convinced that some passenger stole it. Who does that, steal a nondescript black neck pillow?!) At any rate, I disembarked the plane after landing at Narita; right before walking out of the jetway, I still wanted to try to at least make one more effort to find that neck pillow. I explained to the flight staff that I was looking for a pillow, and it had gone missing. 5-6 flight attendants sprung into action, with me, to look for that pillow. While it was never found, I made sure to smile and say "Thank you!" I have a hard time imagining that that level of service would ever occur on a North American airline. The only reason that I've reduced JAL's rating from 9 to 7, is because trying to call, email or contact them otherwise through my online JAL account about changing flights is absolutely like pulling teeth (this has been a problem for a different trip than this one). JAL desperately needs to work on aspects of their off-flight customer service, at least for non-Japanese customers. Nonetheless, they're still one of the truly best airlines in the world.
RouteSeattle to Singapore via Tokyo Narita
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Impressed with experience"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Tokyo Narita on Boeing 777. Nice Staff. Fresh Salad, Clean Cabin Wide seat and Seat pitch. Clean Bathroom. Impressed with experience. I would not hesitate to travel with JAL in the future.
RouteBangkok to Tokyo
Date FlownAugust 2020

"best airline I have traveled with"

Trip Verified | I traveled back and forth from Paris to Tokyo with Japan Airlines and it is by far the best airline I have traveled with. I am a great traveler, since I work in tourism. I found the staff at check-in and on board, welcoming, helpful, attentive and available. The meal trays were plentiful and very good as well as the snacks between each service. Finally the space between the seats is wide, which allows the legs to unfold well, the size of the screen was also perfect. I have traveled pleasantly, I would take over this company without hesitation and for my customers too. FR: J'ai voyagé en aller/retour Paris -Tokyo avec Japan Airlines et c'est de loin la meilleure compagnie avec laquelle j'ai voyagé. Je suis une grande voyageuse, puisque je travaille dans le tourisme. J'ai trouvé le personnel à l'enregistrement et à bord, accueillant, serviable, à l'écoute et disponible. Les plateaux repas étaient copieux et très bons ainsi que les en-cas entre chaque prestation. Enfin l'espace entre les sièges est large, ce qui permet de bien dérouler ses jambes, la taille de l'écran était parfait également. J'ai agréablement voyagé, je reprendrais cette compagnie sans hésitation et pour mes clients également.
RouteParis to Tokyo Haneda
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"processed 1 day before their policy update"

Trip Verified | I am so disappointed with JAL charging a cancellation fee on my ticket from Melbourne to Tokyo in this time of crisis. As Australia announced a travel ban on March 17, my family and I had to cancel our trip to Japan. Upon receiving my refund in my account however I noticed that I was short $1200. Upon contacting the JAL Australia office however, I was told that there had been a cancellation fee applied, as my refund was processed 1 day before their policy update.
RouteMelbourne to Tokyo