ITA Airways

"Dreadful experience"

Trip Verified | Dreadful experience, but they’re the only airline flying the route non-stop. My first experience was trying to pay for seat selections and checked baggage. Their website forwards to Alitalia, so unless the website language is set to Italian, the transaction does not go through. During one attempt, I was charged to my credit card, despite the transaction on their website showing an error for “time out”. It took about three hours to figure out how to pay for seat selections and checked bags. When it came time to check in, I noticed that my seat selection I had paid USD 75 was not applied to my ticket, so called the help desk. After waiting on hold for what felt like an eternity, I was told there was nothing they could do, as the plane was full, so to email their complaints team for a refund. I did that over a week ago now and have received no response, so just filed a dispute with my credit card. I then found out that the airline doesn’t participate in TSA Pre-Check, so had to wait over an hour at security even though I have Global Entry (which includes TSA Pre-Check) for the specific reason of avoiding long security queues. Once boarded, I intended to use the WiFi do work for business purposes in order to not fall behind, but soon discovered the WiFi was not functioning and did not function throughout the entirety of the flight. Meals were small and insufficient in frequency. We were served two small meals once the course of the 12-hour flight. Snacks were kept at the rear of the plane, and given how many passengers frequented the snack bar, it would seem many people agreed with my sentiments. The service I experienced with ITA Airways was a sorry start to what would ultimately be an absolutely incredible holiday. If Norwegian still flew transatlantic flights, I would have much preferred to fly with them.
RouteLos Angeles to Rome
Date FlownJune 2022

"unacceptable, unprofessional and unworthy"

Trip Verified | Absolute shame of an airline. Sold tickets, then proceed to cancel your flight a month after, doesn't offer any kind of commercial gesture, and can't rebook you on another flight from the same alliance (pretexting they can't get tickets for other airlines). For a Skyteam Platinum frequent flyer this is just unacceptable, unprofessional and unworthy of a "national" airline.
RouteParis to Tokyo via Rome

"They were of no help"

Not Verified | Horrible, I do not understand why Delta did a partnership with this company. They need to get rid of it. I am a platinum medallion member of Delta and had a duplicate booking with ITA. I spoke with the ITA staff at the airport who told me to call a number to void a booking and receive a refund, it was a Delta operated flight and I had two exact bookings. They were of no help.
RouteMilan to New York
Date FlownJune 2022

"lost my checked luggage"

Trip Verified | They just lost my checked luggage and it is disappeared since 7 days. No one replied to any email, they don't pick up the phone and I am running out of my prescribed medicine. I hope they will come up for all the extra costs I am having now and I hope they start to feel any responsibility for my lost luggage. Sadly I can't give less than 1 star. It's a shame and I am really shocked this airline is like this.
RouteMadrid to Paris via Rome
Date FlownJune 2022

"don't fly with ITA Airways"

(Morocco)

Trip Verified | This is by far the worst flying experience I've had in my life and I've flown with some smaller companies that don't have access the the Rome Airport like infrastructure but still better at handling passenger flights, baggage handling, consumer service and just a nice smile and just being a decent human being. The Rome Airport is huge but the ITA airways and Alitalia people working in it are not in line with their job descriptions. Very lazy and long awaiting times just to get to ask a question at any desk. The company itself (ITA airways) have the most delay times of all time (fact proven) my four flights with them have been delayed at least 1,5hour each. Which makes you loose other connecting flights that are in time, and therefore lose your luggage. Had the experience, even though I've tried and talked to many people from the company to make sure it doesn't get lost. Bottom line, don't fly with ITA Airways and save your money you won't have a good flying experience.
RouteCatania to Casablanca via Rome/Bologna
Date FlownJune 2022

"just decided to lose the ticket"

(Malta)

Trip Verified | Terrible company - do not buy a ticket. We've bought a ticket and tried to rebook the date of the flight. It is impossible to do so on the website - the option just doesn't work. It is impossible to call the airline - the call is being dropped, even though I called in at an appropriate time. We just decided to lose the ticket and book with another airline at another date.
RouteMalta to Rome
Date FlownJune 2022

"worst bed I have encountered in any business class"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | The only real reason to fly business class on a long route is to be able to sleep on the plane. Impossible on this flight, I was awake the whole time. The seat did go down to perfectly flat, but it was so narrow that I couldn't sleep on my side and so lumpy as to be uncomfortable in any case. By far the worst bed I have encountered in any business class. The food and wine were OK but just OK. The entertainment system had a very limited selection, and the categories of "live news," "classic movies," and "world cinema" were all non-functional. Best aspect of the journey was the flight crew, who were nice, forthcoming, and helpful. Note also that I was sent an SMS and an email shortly before the flight left, both of them listing the same incorrect gate ("23C", which does not exist at JFK Terminal 1 - the correct gate was 4).
RouteNew York to Rome
Date FlownMay 2022

"never experienced such humiliation"

Trip Verified | Flight out was without any problems, flight on time, staff very welcoming connection without any hassle London to Rome AZ207, then Rome to Algiers AZ802. Flight return one issue which i am quiet concerned the lady from ITA Airways at boarding gate in Rome for the flight to London after desk check in our way to the plane asked for our passports my wife and mine and carried on with very embarrassing questions because we felt singled from other passengers. She was selecting by look and clothes yes so she asked us from which country we come from, my answer was from Algiers, then she asked my address in London then my Job, despite our Passports where both British citizen so i believe this is because we were not of European look. I have ever never experienced such humiliation.
RouteAlgiers to London via Rome
Date FlownMay 2022

"worst airline I ever experienced"

Trip Verified | The worst airline I ever experienced. Nothing deserves above 2 stars and no words to describe. I regret I did not read feedback before I booked my tickets.
RouteLondon to Rome
Date FlownApril 2022

"Absolutely disgraceful in-flight experience"

Not Verified | Absolutely disgraceful in-flight experience in business class. Plastic glasses, no champagne, no gin and tonic and then no white wine. Offered cheap prossecco which then ran out. To charge this money and not offer a fully stocked bar is unacceptable. The salad was disgusting. Worse than this at check in the agent told us the business lounge was at gate e41 so we went miles to get there and as my husband is registered disabled this was quite a long walk. We were told at the lounge that ITA didn't have use of this lounge but we had to go back to gate 11 - miles back. so we sat and waited at gate e44 for an hour and a half when we could have enjoyed the business lounge had that agent given us correct information. This was such a poor experience. I left a complaint with the purser who said they didn't have much loaded since the pandemic? If the cabin is full, you stock a full bar and provide a good meal maybe even some italian cheese and biscuits. Not even a hot towel. Poorall round.
RouteRome to London