ITA Airways

"certainly fly them again"

Not Verified | We flew from Catania to Paris CDG via Milan LIN on ITA Airways. While for the most part everything is still branded Alitalia, we found both of our flights perfectly nice. Check in at Catania was smooth and the agent was friendly. Note: There is not an ITA lounge in Catania which is actually a larger airport than we expected. We did use Priority Pass to enter the one lounge available. It is small and not worth the stop. However, it was a place to escape the rather crowded airport. The flight from Catania to Milan Linate left early and arrived early. Cabin Crew were friendly and attentive. Service was minimal in Business Class with just juice, water, soda offered along with a bag of sweet or salty snacks. The flight was just short of 2 hours so we were surprised that there was not a more robust service offered. Connection in Milan Linate was very easy. We had some time (about 70 minutes) and did visit the ITA Lounge. It was very nice with plenty of staff and not overcrowded. There was a full bar with all the offerings along with a nice selection of foods. Instead of self-serve food, there was an attendant that plated your requests. This was nice as to not have multiple people hovering over food and using all of the utensils, etc. Boarding for the flight from Milan Linate to Paris CDG was done effective and efficiently by bus to a remote stand. Boarding was from both the front and back of the aircraft which worked well. We left about 10 minutes early and arrived about 15 minutes early. Service on board was again very good with lunch served. A bit surprised as this flight was just short of 90 minutes. Warm panini, salad, desert, etc. along with wine. Overall, the service was very nice. No inflight entertainment or WiFi on either aircraft. Arrival in Paris CDG was easy and a short walk to baggage claim. Both bags arrived without issue and timely, just 15-20 minutes after landing. Overall, I hope ITA continues to improve where Alitalia seemed to give up. Would certainly fly them again.
AircraftA319/A320
RouteCatania to Paris CDG via Milan Linate
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"They are useless in every aspect of their service"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I would urge significant caution using ITA Airways. I've flown over a hundred times without incident and every step of my first experience with them this week (forced due to a medical emergency on the part of my wife) was an unmitigated disaster. The check in agent at Palermo did not know what an indirect flight was. The attendants didn't organise people boarding, sitting or the volume of hand baggage, leading to total chaos at boarding and, ultimately, passengers still standing, holding bags and trading places as the plane taxied for take off. The attendants were still completing the safety announcement as the plane began taking off. When we arrived at Lisbon (Portugal) after our connecting flight, it became apparent my luggage had not arrived and, when I checked it with the lost luggage team, the representative told me he'd never before seen a case where a bag does not even make the first scan. They are useless in every aspect of their service.
RoutePalermo to Lisbon via Rome Fiumicino

"Worst experience ever!"

Trip Verified | Worst experience ever! They lost my luggage for 5 days and ruined my entire trip. 2 weeks has passed and no matter how many emails and calls I make, no one responds nor takes any responsibility for the financial loss and damage that has been caused. Save yourself and do not ever travel with them as they have no manners nor professionalism at all!
RouteLos Angeles to Rome

"a great experience"

Not Verified | Boston to Athens via Rome. I was worried after reading all of the poor reviews, but our experience with ITA Airways was great! Nice staff, normal airplane food just like any other flight, luggage all made it, all flights were on time. Overall, a great experience considering we were traveling from the US to Athens on three different flights.
RouteBoston to Athens via Rome

"ignored for 6 weeks"

Trip Verified | Milan to London. What a complete Mickey Mouse airline! First of all the plane was old, the ones with just 2 seats on either side, the cabin crew were wearing a white t-shirt, blue jeans and white trainers, this just doesn’t look professional, the whole point of a cabin crews uniform is that they stand out if there was an emergency! Then when I get to London they lost my bag, I didn’t get in back until 2 days later, as all my toiletries and make up was in it I was told to go out buy what I need and keep the receipts, I went to Poundland and Superdrug to make it cheap for them even though all my make up was really expensive! I sent the receipts in, I got ignored for 6 weeks! Then receive an email to tell me they won’t be refunding me! What an absolute joke! I hope they go bust and they most likely will with this kind of customer service!
RouteMilan to London
Date FlownJuly 2022

"The worst of the worst"

Trip Verified | Since I didn’t had a good experience in my flight in with the ITA airways (aircraft was old, with seat falling apart, poor food quality, old entertainment selection) I wasn’t expecting so much from my flight back and I thought that couldn't be worse than what already experienced!! Unfortunately I was so wrong! The worst experience I ever had with an airline, so disorganized! The flight started with 2 hours delay from scheduled departure. From the check in point you can feel that they are operating so wrong, just 1 line for 2 different flight NYC and LA with 3 hours apart one from the other. So there were people who were in a hurry to leave because boarding would start in 30 minutes, mixed with angry people because their flight would leave 2 hours late. More staff outside the booths chatting with each other then staff doing check in and you could see them leaving their position to go for a cigarette break in the middle of all this crazy situation. But this is only the beginning. If you were lucky enough when finishing your check in for NYC you had 2 extra hour on top of the 3 that is required for international flight to spend inside the airport( since in Rome there is a ITA airways lounge they should invite the guest of the delayed flight to spend time there at airways expense for apologies for the inconvenience!!) waiting for the gate number to show up. So on today flight September 11 2022 all passengers waiting the extra 2 hours had the news that the flight was delayed an extra hour when was already boarding time and must of guest were already in the line. If you think this is everything you are wrong!! The airline asked (10 minutes before the 3rd rescheduled boarding time) to change gate number because there weren’t able to fix the issue with the airplane. We had, my family and I ( 2 kids 3 and 6), take everything with us again, take the train to a different terminal, go through check point again because we were directed through a connection gate. When finally at the gate we had to wait another hour before start boarding - the aircraft wasn’t ready and we had to wait another 20 minutes in the ramp after boarding. This airplane was newer than the previous one but they added and extra chair per row so 9 instead of 8 in same space, basically the chairs are smaller and space now is more limited between chairs - not comfortable for a 9 hours trip. Food, entertainment and service very bad as previous flight. They didn’t had the door for the gate and had to wait another 30 minutes on the plane after landing! The worst of the worst.
RouteRome to New York JFK
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Pleasant crews, orderly boarding"

Not Verified | Fine, no-frills flights. Pleasant crews, orderly boarding. Usual coffee and biscuits for European hops. No complaints, other than we had to stack for ages before landing at Naples. Not ITA's fault. Checked bag arrived too.
AircraftEmbrace 190/A320
RouteLondon to Milan via Naples
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"definitely the worst airline"

Not Verified | I have been travelling for over 50 years and can honestly say this is definitely the worst airline I have ever come across. My bag did not arrive and no attempt was made to locate it. Call centre in Albania is appalling, it makes no difference what language option you choose they are unhelpful and completely useless. On two occasions they took my number and promised to call back, but they never do. Reading other reviews it’s also obvious their baggage handling companies are also useless.
RouteLondon to Tunis via Rome
Date FlownJuly 2022

"my checked bag never made it"

Trip Verified | I flew ITA Airways and my checked bag never made it. The only phone number for US citizens to call re-routes through Albania and after literal two-hour waits on hold, all they offer is to email the complaints department. ITA doesn't even have a baggage office in the US! I have a claim ticket and even a code that my bag is stuck in Roma but have no way to retrieve it and no one at ITA Air to talk to about it! Airlines with respect and professionalism would contact you and assure you it will be on the next flight but ITA Airways just passes the buck, call the only number and be told the only thing you can do is email complaints. Email complaints and they do nothing. No baggage office for ITA Air at the airport so they say you have to check your airport's lost and found but lost and found says that's only for when people are departing and accidentally lose something; not for incompetent airlines who can't reliably get checked bags safely to their final destination. It's coming on two months now.
RouteNew York to Rome
Date FlownJuly 2022

"I was treated badly on board"

Not Verified | It’s been a nightmare honestly. I was treated badly on board and my flight were delayed and my bags were lost. Not much to say apart from I’ll never set foot on an ITA Airways flight again and I would not recommend it.
RouteLondon to Tunis via Rome