ITA Airways

"Awful behaviour from the cabin crew"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Athens to Rome. Awful behaviour from the cabin crew. Impossible to understand announcements in English. I'm 1.85m and the seat was too small even for a 2h flight. Snacks were good but the beverages less than mediocre
RouteAthens to Rome
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"a really disappointing flight"

Trip Verified | This was a really disappointing flight. The plane was extremely old and not clean. I am a huge clean freak but even this didn't disturb me as much as a remark made by one of the flight attendants. I asked her to please retrieve my carry on which was in the overhead compartment. I had my 3 year old toddler on my lap who I had been trying desperately to keep calm and sane for the duration of the flight which is why I requested assistance. If you're the parent of a baby or toddler on an 8 hour flight, you'll understand how stressful that is! Anyway, this flight attendant responded, "that's not my job." How incredibly insensitive. I've had travellers offer help just because they see me travelling alone with a young kid and it definitely wasn't their job! It truly was the worst flight I've ever taken to the states from Europe. The staff overall was mediocre in their "human contact" and the food was not edible.
RouteNew York to Rome
Date FlownAugust 2022

"crew was rude"

(Norfolk Island)

Not Verified | The crew was rude, they closed all the shades on a day flight from Rome to Boston - served lunch and we never saw them again. No water to be found after they all disappeared. The seats and window plastic were broken and falling apart. Sad but true the staff, except for 2 people in business class, were rude and arrogant. They charge the most for their flights and they are the worst. I would never fly them again and have canceled my return flight because I did not feel safe on such an old plane with a disappearing wait staff. Do not even mention the food - I was deplorable. The plane was dirty and broken down inside. The chairs did not move, our movie screens were broken and well, it was horrible.
RouteBoston to Rome
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"certainly fly them again"

Not Verified | We flew from Catania to Paris CDG via Milan LIN on ITA Airways. While for the most part everything is still branded Alitalia, we found both of our flights perfectly nice. Check in at Catania was smooth and the agent was friendly. Note: There is not an ITA lounge in Catania which is actually a larger airport than we expected. We did use Priority Pass to enter the one lounge available. It is small and not worth the stop. However, it was a place to escape the rather crowded airport. The flight from Catania to Milan Linate left early and arrived early. Cabin Crew were friendly and attentive. Service was minimal in Business Class with just juice, water, soda offered along with a bag of sweet or salty snacks. The flight was just short of 2 hours so we were surprised that there was not a more robust service offered. Connection in Milan Linate was very easy. We had some time (about 70 minutes) and did visit the ITA Lounge. It was very nice with plenty of staff and not overcrowded. There was a full bar with all the offerings along with a nice selection of foods. Instead of self-serve food, there was an attendant that plated your requests. This was nice as to not have multiple people hovering over food and using all of the utensils, etc. Boarding for the flight from Milan Linate to Paris CDG was done effective and efficiently by bus to a remote stand. Boarding was from both the front and back of the aircraft which worked well. We left about 10 minutes early and arrived about 15 minutes early. Service on board was again very good with lunch served. A bit surprised as this flight was just short of 90 minutes. Warm panini, salad, desert, etc. along with wine. Overall, the service was very nice. No inflight entertainment or WiFi on either aircraft. Arrival in Paris CDG was easy and a short walk to baggage claim. Both bags arrived without issue and timely, just 15-20 minutes after landing. Overall, I hope ITA continues to improve where Alitalia seemed to give up. Would certainly fly them again.
AircraftA319/A320
RouteCatania to Paris CDG via Milan Linate
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"They are useless in every aspect of their service"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I would urge significant caution using ITA Airways. I've flown over a hundred times without incident and every step of my first experience with them this week (forced due to a medical emergency on the part of my wife) was an unmitigated disaster. The check in agent at Palermo did not know what an indirect flight was. The attendants didn't organise people boarding, sitting or the volume of hand baggage, leading to total chaos at boarding and, ultimately, passengers still standing, holding bags and trading places as the plane taxied for take off. The attendants were still completing the safety announcement as the plane began taking off. When we arrived at Lisbon (Portugal) after our connecting flight, it became apparent my luggage had not arrived and, when I checked it with the lost luggage team, the representative told me he'd never before seen a case where a bag does not even make the first scan. They are useless in every aspect of their service.
RoutePalermo to Lisbon via Rome Fiumicino

"Worst experience ever!"

Trip Verified | Worst experience ever! They lost my luggage for 5 days and ruined my entire trip. 2 weeks has passed and no matter how many emails and calls I make, no one responds nor takes any responsibility for the financial loss and damage that has been caused. Save yourself and do not ever travel with them as they have no manners nor professionalism at all!
RouteLos Angeles to Rome

"a great experience"

Not Verified | Boston to Athens via Rome. I was worried after reading all of the poor reviews, but our experience with ITA Airways was great! Nice staff, normal airplane food just like any other flight, luggage all made it, all flights were on time. Overall, a great experience considering we were traveling from the US to Athens on three different flights.
RouteBoston to Athens via Rome

"ignored for 6 weeks"

Trip Verified | Milan to London. What a complete Mickey Mouse airline! First of all the plane was old, the ones with just 2 seats on either side, the cabin crew were wearing a white t-shirt, blue jeans and white trainers, this just doesn’t look professional, the whole point of a cabin crews uniform is that they stand out if there was an emergency! Then when I get to London they lost my bag, I didn’t get in back until 2 days later, as all my toiletries and make up was in it I was told to go out buy what I need and keep the receipts, I went to Poundland and Superdrug to make it cheap for them even though all my make up was really expensive! I sent the receipts in, I got ignored for 6 weeks! Then receive an email to tell me they won’t be refunding me! What an absolute joke! I hope they go bust and they most likely will with this kind of customer service!
RouteMilan to London
Date FlownJuly 2022

"The worst of the worst"

Trip Verified | Since I didn’t had a good experience in my flight in with the ITA airways (aircraft was old, with seat falling apart, poor food quality, old entertainment selection) I wasn’t expecting so much from my flight back and I thought that couldn't be worse than what already experienced!! Unfortunately I was so wrong! The worst experience I ever had with an airline, so disorganized! The flight started with 2 hours delay from scheduled departure. From the check in point you can feel that they are operating so wrong, just 1 line for 2 different flight NYC and LA with 3 hours apart one from the other. So there were people who were in a hurry to leave because boarding would start in 30 minutes, mixed with angry people because their flight would leave 2 hours late. More staff outside the booths chatting with each other then staff doing check in and you could see them leaving their position to go for a cigarette break in the middle of all this crazy situation. But this is only the beginning. If you were lucky enough when finishing your check in for NYC you had 2 extra hour on top of the 3 that is required for international flight to spend inside the airport( since in Rome there is a ITA airways lounge they should invite the guest of the delayed flight to spend time there at airways expense for apologies for the inconvenience!!) waiting for the gate number to show up. So on today flight September 11 2022 all passengers waiting the extra 2 hours had the news that the flight was delayed an extra hour when was already boarding time and must of guest were already in the line. If you think this is everything you are wrong!! The airline asked (10 minutes before the 3rd rescheduled boarding time) to change gate number because there weren’t able to fix the issue with the airplane. We had, my family and I ( 2 kids 3 and 6), take everything with us again, take the train to a different terminal, go through check point again because we were directed through a connection gate. When finally at the gate we had to wait another hour before start boarding - the aircraft wasn’t ready and we had to wait another 20 minutes in the ramp after boarding. This airplane was newer than the previous one but they added and extra chair per row so 9 instead of 8 in same space, basically the chairs are smaller and space now is more limited between chairs - not comfortable for a 9 hours trip. Food, entertainment and service very bad as previous flight. They didn’t had the door for the gate and had to wait another 30 minutes on the plane after landing! The worst of the worst.
RouteRome to New York JFK
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Pleasant crews, orderly boarding"

Not Verified | Fine, no-frills flights. Pleasant crews, orderly boarding. Usual coffee and biscuits for European hops. No complaints, other than we had to stack for ages before landing at Naples. Not ITA's fault. Checked bag arrived too.
AircraftEmbrace 190/A320