Icelandair

"take away carryon bags"

Trip Verified | Flight was delayed both times causing missing connections and lost family tour times. No meal services on board and no time on airport to purchase meals due to delayed flights leading to no food for 11 plus hours. Delayed baggage on return flight; was asked to file claim by icelandair associate but airline rejected claim stating that since I was ‘ returning home’ they saw no significance to any damages caused to me by my missing luggage. They also forcibly take away carryon bags due to no space in aircraft!
RouteFrankfurt to Pittsburgh via Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2024

“onboard service was outstanding”

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Keflavík (KEF) to Copenhagen (CPH) in Saga Class on a B737 MAX. Icelandair's Business Class - called Saga Class - is the most comfortable mode into and out of Iceland. The seats are not flatbed, but they are wide and recline comfortably. The flight was on time, boarding was well organized, and onboard service was outstanding. Icelandair provides complimentary WiFi for Saga Class passengers.
AircraftBoeing 737 MAX
RouteReykjavík to Copenhagen
Date FlownJuly 2024

"expect to get what i paid for"

Trip Verified | Flight FI603. A very last minute email was received from our travel agent that one of our group had been bumped, loaded onto an overcrowded bus and taken “her words” to a lousy hotel. This ruined the dynamics of our group, ruined what had been an amazing trip. We were all excited and planning to come back next year but not now. When i pay for something i expect to get what i paid for and so did my friend. This airline should consider their customers first.. the airline should be thoughtful for how you are disrupting our lives. We have obligations, starting new jobs, appointments, etc. Apologies are just words and don’t make up for disrupting our lives.
RouteReykjavik to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2024

“disappointed with how we were treated”

Not Verified | My family and I flew home from Helsinki to Iceland for a layover and then to Toronto. First time flying with Icelandair and when we reached Toronto we were missing our luggage. We understand that during a layover this can happen but unfortunately it had my 10 month old daughter’s supplies in it such as her baby monitor, her sound machine, and all of her baby essentials. I was reassured by the Icelandair representative that if we went out and purchased new items to replace which was lost (for the time being) that we would be reimbursed the money. When we received our luggage 4 weeks later we were told that because it was eventually delivered that we were stuck with now owning two of everything. I can’t return the items that were purchased and coming from Canada we can’t afford these items. We also returned home with a broken stroller from icelandair that they also promised that would be replaced but they sent me on a wild goose chase to find a stroller repair shop and I had to dig out the receipt from the stroller from a year ago which i obviously didn’t keep. From the lost luggage to lying to us about replacing items to the broken stroller that we can no longer use and have to buy a new one to being rude over the phone we are very disappointed and disgusted with how we were treated with flying with this company. We will never fly with them again and hopefully others can avoid flying with such a horrible company. (I have never written a review about anything but the amount of money they have costed our family it was worth it for me to express to others, especially families flying with children).
RouteIceland to Toronto
Date FlownJune 2024

“Not worth even as a low cost”

Not Verified | This is one of the worst airlines that I have booked with. 1. They have the worst cabin luggage size policy. There is no cabin bag that fits the dimensions they use. 2. They do not mention details like No Food offered during flight for Economy (got an email 1 week before the flight about meal purchase options) 3. No headphones provided for screen viewing. 4. Not worth even as a low cost airline. Worst experience to book this flight! BEWARE! Do not book this airline ever!
RouteToronto to Rome

"Terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Terrible customer service. Luggage was lost and customer service has done absolutely nothing to help with the situation. There were many precious gifts from family lost in that suitcase, it is such a shame that we are essentially being ignored by the company that does not care or want to solve their own fault.
RouteChicago to Dublin via Keflavík
Date FlownJune 2024

“nothing but a frustrating experience”

Trip Verified | My baggage was delayed. Icelandair did nothing to find it and update me on the situation, although I called 20 times. The airline has no desk in Munich airport. They are represented by AHS, who they have no contact with. So I, as a business flyer, was given misleading information all the time that my luggage will be delivered to the home address that they collected. Nothing was delivered on the day of the luggage arrival nor next days. Although there was important medication that in the bag that I need, which I reported to the service desk multiple time. In fact after several days waiting and calling both Icelandair and AHS non-stop, I’ve got a rude answer that if I need my luggage I have to go to the Munich airport on my own as they decided not to deliver it. Munich airport is located far from the city, I am a client who paid thousands for the ticket, my luggage was lost and I had to locate it on my own and even after that they kept giving me misleading updates that they take care of the delivery. When I asked if they cover my taxi expenses related to picking up the luggage, they informed me that they have up to 7 days to decide yes or no. This is nothing but a frustrating experience how they treat clients. Especially if you fly business.
RouteNew York to Munich via Reykjavík
Date FlownMay 2024

"flown many other airlines that are better"

Trip Verified | My wife and I flew out of CDG (Paris) with a 1 day layover in Iceland on our way back to US. Overall Icelandair has irrational polices and staff that cannot provide a logical explanation for their policies, nor do the logical things to make their silly policies work smoothly. After boarding at CDG we were informed they do not allow bags to be stowed under seat in front, that is different than other airlines we flew. They told us instead of stowing our bags under seat we should hold in our laps, which seems to defeat any safety purpose of keeping aisle clear. Please imagine the danger of this policy if there was an actual emergency. Besides that, they were not policing the baggage that people boarded with not stored overhead, and they did not reserve any overhead room for those in emergency rows that according to their policies are not allowed to stow under seat. Also, the flight was uncomfortably warm the entire 3 hours, which was surprising given we left a cool place and landed in a cold place. We accepted the situation for what it was and figured we would just need to try to board as early as possible after our layover. Joke was on us because Icelandair is completely different outside of Iceland “because it is their hub” per customer service person that refused to provide their name for “safety” at check in in Icelandair. Here they were enforcing various different policies that were not mentioned not enforced out of CDG (despite being same airline). They forced us to check a brand new and expensive carry on sized bag (that fits in overhead compartments) and refused to provide any explanation for why that had to be checked here and not on the last Icelandair flight. Overall I would describe Icelandair as a crap show. Some of their policies do not make sense, their agents do not seem interested in helping nor explaining, and this makes me believe there is not a single person in management interested in running their company effectively. We have flown many other airlines that are better. I would say Alaska Airlines makes Icelandair look like a bunch of careless fools.
RouteParis to Portland via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2024

"Satisfied with the service"

Trip Verified | Satisfied with the service on Icelandair. This was an early morning flight I did in mid April last month, and there was no issues with delays or baggage. Had a small snack on the 2.5hr flight and a coffee, and as I was informed by crew before boarding, all the snacks had to be paid for. Didn't have the option to fly British Airways or any other carrier for this flight on this particular day, but I feel Icelandair were satisfactory enough. Crew were friendly and helpful, and IFE was good considering the short flight time. Would fly with them again, if I get to travel to Reykjavik again someday.
RouteReykjavik to Manchester
Date FlownApril 2024

"flight was on time and comfortable"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Keflavík in Saga Class. Icelandair provides the best Business Class experience from Europe / Scandinavia to and from Iceland. The flight was on time and comfortable. WiFi is included for Saga Class passengers which is a nice touch.
AircraftBoeing 737 MAX