Icelandair

"the worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Absolutely the worst customer service and airline operation regarding my experience. I had a booking that was ORD-KEF. Sounds good all is well, then they cancelled the flight. So I call the customer service line no problem, I called got my flight now routed ORD-BOS-KEF and then KEF-JFK-ORD on the way back - few days later I go to my journey page to make sure my seats are all squared away and the system doesn't recognize my itinerary. So I call again to customer service and they claim I took the voucher and they cancelled my flights. Why would I take a voucher when you have all proof of me calling talking to an agent and rerouting my trip. Makes no sense. So now that they won't reinstate my trip, I'm stuck with this voucher that now doesn't even cover the cost of my flights because they increased the prices and I purchased my flight 2 months ago - unbelievable, terrible service. And now I have to pay 550$ extra for the same trip as their agent rerouted me on before they cancelled my itinerary.
RouteBoston to Keflavik
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"family members were seated alone"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | We waited in the check-in line for 1.5 hours. I have used the same carry-on for six years and this was the first time on any airline that it was too big ($50 fee). All five family members were seated alone (including my nine-year-old).
RouteReykjavik to Paris
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"did not pick up our bags in New York"

Trip Verified | Icelandair lost, or rather did not pick up our bags in New York City JFK. I know because I spent most of the night on a computer chat room with Jet Blue (their "Partner") trying to find our bags. Icelandair would not answer phones, nor do they have a computer 24 hour chat room. icelandair notified me the next day that they found our bags and would bring them to our hotel in Reykjavik by 10:00am. Our tour group was to leave Reykjavik at 9:00 for the Magma Hotel, 880 Kirkjubaejarklaustur, Iceland to see the northern lights. It was only because of another problem that we were delayed at the Grandi Hotel in Reykjavik that we received our bags. When I spoke with an agent at Icelandair baggage, I was told that if I didn't wait, Icelandair would NOT pay the expense to drive our bags to our next hotel. I find that irresponsible and in-excusable for customer service. Icelandair lost our bags and should have readily driven our bags to where ever we were staying in the country. On our return trip to the USA we were delayed due to a storm. We would have to stay in NYC and catch the next JetBlue flight the next morning. We paid for our bags to be checked through to San Francisco but found, the next morning, that Jet Blue demanded payment for baggage again from NYC to SFO. Icelandair was to put us up at a hotel in New York City for the night. When we arrived to the hotel at 11:30 (after an all day travel) the Crown Plaza Hotel said that Icelandair refused to pay them and to go back to the airport. There were other passengers from the same flight trying to get rooms as well. We just paid the hotel and will now have to deal with Icelandair to get a refund. Wish us luck. They are not ones to take blame lightly and between them and Jet Blue, I have never seen so much finger pointing and laying blame on one another instead of rectifying the situation.
RouteNew York to Reykavik
Date FlownDecember 2021

"most robotic unhelpful rude people"

Not Verified | Absolutely insane to force people to travel (or rebook at a higher fare) when all they need to do is offer a credit. Not looking for a refund mind you, Iceland on the Do Not Travel list, a new variant out there and they want you to rebook- not knowing when it will be safe. So you spend $500 and still may need to rebook again -for another $500? They decided after a certain date they would not offer a refund - didn’t mention a credit, and now the situation is even worse than before and they want to be hardheaded. Pay the extra money and fly a real airline. Their customer service people are the most robotic unhelpful rude people I’ve ever dealt with. Just as an added bonus for dealing with Icelandair. I didn’t fly with them so ignore the ratings for cabin and seat below.
RouteNewark to Reykjavik
Date FlownNovember 2021

"discourage anyone from booking with them"

Not Verified | Booked a 5 tickets with Icelandair in Denver, Colorado last Sunday. I paid $35 a seat each way for all five members of in my party. We realized that we had booked the wrong row for two of the members of our flight and have been trying to upgrade. I have been told that I will need to pay the full $80 per person each way to upgrade to the row in front of the other three passengers and they will keep my $35 per person each way. Just for reference that's a total of $460 for a seat on the airplane. Just for further reference that's equivalent to a one way ticket. We have never flown with Icelandair, never will again, and would strongly discourage anyone from booking with them.
RouteDenver to Rekyjavik
Date FlownNovember 2021

"Flight was unsatisfactory in several ways"

Trip Verified | Flight 664 from Portland Oregon was unsatisfactory in several ways. My seat could not recline. The attendant tried it and said it was broken. Same with the foot rest. The food was unpalatable, a few hard, overcooked shrimps, and an entree of a few strips of dry turkey breast on a mountain of greens. Just awful. I asked for the turkey wrap served in coach. Flight 671 from Reykjavik was an improvement. Seat reclined, food was very good. Entertainment on both flights was unsatisfactory. Very limited selection. I tried to contact Icelandair via email sent to a name on their website but it came back as undeliverable. I won’t choose Icelandair again.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RoutePortland to Reykjavik
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"If you paid they should provide the food"

Not Verified | No food or drink expected for an international flight, they said because of covid. This is ridiculous people not eating or drinking for hours. If you paid they should provide the food. Awful Entertainment. No many movies or music to select from. I don't recommend it at all. No breakfast, no wipes for your face after sleeping before arriving. I will never fly on this airline again and I don't recommend it.
RouteNewark to Reykjavik
Date FlownOctober 2021

"very bad to no customer service"

Trip Verified | Before our flight on Sept. 21, 2021 we checked in online, and since we were Transit passengers in Reykjavik, we did not pre-register, because as per Icelandair E-mail of Sept. 18, 2021 to us: "If you are on a transiting flight via Iceland, without leaving the airport in Keflavik, you do not need to pre-register". Both of were also fully vaccinated and had negative Covid-19 test results. When we arrived at the Portland airport for check-in, a representative of Icelandair stopped and prevented us to even get to the check-in counter because he demanded a pre-registration Code from us. Even though we showed him that according to the E-mail from Icelandair, we did not need to pre-register, he still refused to let us go to the check-in counter and would not help us in any way. Had it not been for a Portland airport employee who helped us with entering detailed information in our Smartphones, we would have missed our flights. This procedure took over one hour and left us terribly frustrated at the beginning of our international flight. Based on this as well as our in-flight and Keflavik airport experiences we can only rate Icelandair as having very bad to no customer service.
RoutePortland to Copenhagen via Rejkjavik
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"refuses to reimburse us"

Not Verified | Do not fly with Icelandair. My wife and I upgraded our seats online so that we could have extra legroom (I'm 6'4", mostly leg). Moments later, when we realized that the upgrades were for seats that wouldn't recline, we decided to see if we could switch them to ones that do recline. The online system made it very easy, but we were charged for both upgrades. The company now refuses to reimburse us for the nearly $300 for the original upgrade for the seats we won't be sitting in. Disgraceful!
RouteToronto to Paris via Keflavik
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"I will never fly Icelandair again"

Trip Verified | On our return flight from London, we laid over in at Keflavik Airport. We learned when we arrived that we could not return to our departure airport, Newark. Instead we were diverted to New York and had to find our own way back to our car, before our 3 hour drive home. The Airline has agreed to reimburse our UBER fee since they created a disturbance in our travel plans. However, while on the flight to New York, seated in row 2 of first class, a couple in front of us had a small and very old dog. About an hour before landing, the woman was telling the man to hurry and get up because the dog had to pee. She then carried to dog to the service area and told the flight attendant the problem. The attendant gave the woman an extra blanket. The woman returned to the seat, put the blanket on the seat-put the dog on the seat until it relieved itself! Then she returned to blanket to the flight attendant. The blanket was not waterproof or absorbent enough to keep the urine from running down the seat to the floor where, of course, my personal bag was stored. When I retrieved it , my purse was covered with dog urine and half the contents were also wet. I advised the attendant on my way out and she simply said, “Oh, that’s not good.” That’s it. The smell was awful and I had to carry that bag without any offer to help clean it or bag it…nothing. I will never fly Icelandair again given this wholly unacceptable animal policy. I have no problem with small animals traveling in the cabin as long as there are proper and sanitary provisions for their normal bodily functions. The flights were otherwise clean and comfortable and staff was attentive. WiFI stinks.
RouteLondon to Newark via Reykjavik