Icelandair

"I would never use them again"

Trip Verified | Glasgow to Washington via Keflavik. We arrived without our luggage which the airline left in Iceland. It took them over 3 days to finally reunited us with all of our luggage We had to buy clothes. They have never paid us a penny compensation. They offered to pay us half the cost of one of our party, but have never paid us. They never gave us a baggage missing receipt so cannot claim from insurers. They do not communicate. Worst Airline I've ever used. I would never use them again.
RouteGlasgow to Washington via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2019

"can't see how Icelandair is a good choice"

Trip Verified | Awful experience with weather cancellation handling and uncaring customer service, I'll avoid Icelandair in the future. I had to continue from one business trip to another and booked Icelandair because it was the quickest way from Orlando to Glasgow, premium economy seat upgrades were surprisingly competitive in their pricing, too. Now I know why. A storm in Iceland caused some delays that cascaded into my flight out of the US getting cancelled. That happens, I understand. But then, Icelandair (without consulting me or my corporate travel broker) booked me on a pair of replacement flights on different airlines leaving 'more than a day later'. Here I am checked out of my hotel being told "tough luck, you can leave in 36 hours or so." The travel agents called to try to get anything that wouldn't require an extra night, but (a) Icelandair was unwilling to book on anything but a narrow set of partner airlines that had no availability and (b) they were also unwilling to comp an extra night's accommodations if more than an extra day was needed. I've had comparable cancellations on other airlines before and they universally did their best to make sure the passengers were properly cared for leading up to a replacement flight. With no other options outside of eating two extra hotel nights myself (one at my origin and one unused at my destination), I ended up needing to cancel the entire Icelandair itinerary and did a last minute rebook—at a way higher price and with dreaded middle seats in front of lavatories—on another carrier. This is all bad, but then I wrote to their social media support to share my experience and politely request some attention to the case, even if it was just extra legroom on the return flight itinerary that was already booked. The response, although not unprofessional, was essentially "we're not obligated to give you anything, we're not giving you anything, but oh, hey, here's a WiFi voucher." Yes, after many hundreds of dollars and several lost hours, a WiFi voucher. Gee, thanks. Like it is with a 1¢ tip, nothing at all would have been less insulting. With all the airline options and now seeing all the similar experiences, I can't see how Icelandair is a good choice. Stuff goes wrong with the chaos of global air travel, and what separates good airlines from mediocre ones is how they take care of their customers getting through the complications. Icelandair seems it couldn't care less.
RouteOrlando to Glasgow via Reykjavík
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Don't waste your time"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Munich. To start our trip, we arrived in Munich to find my bag had never left Minneapolis. I filed the necessary paperwork and told them where I was going to be and when I was going to be there. They said shipping my bag would take 1-3 days. They managed to always be slow so my bag would arrive after I had already left the city I was in. To top it off, they would only reimburse me for $100 so I was travelling abroad in the same two pair of cloths for 10 days with no toiletries. Finally, my bag got returned to me two weeks after they had lost it. Don't waste your time, spend a little extra and fly with someone else.
RouteMinneapolis to Munich
Date FlownOctober 2019

"experience less than pleasant"

Trip Verified | We flew with Icelandair because it was the best fare and it allowed a stopover in Iceland. Originally our outbound flight from Toronto was also with Icelandair but the three of us in our party got bumped to a BA flight to LHR instead. Not a huge issue except that a fourth member of our party, flying under a different booking, ended up at LGW where we had originally intended to fly. Both the GLA to KEF, and KEF to YYZ flights were uneventful. The staff both on the ground and onboard both flights were friendly and professional. I was impressed at the leg room on both flights (33A from GLA to KEF, and 35A from KEF to YYZ). Unfortunately our KEF to YYZ flight was delayed by 20 minutes which ended up causing us to miss our connection with WestJet to YUL. Although Icelandair put us up in a hotel in Toronto for the night, the experience was less than positive. Up to that point things were good. We waited at Pearson for almost an hour with Icelandair trying to find a hotel room for 26 of us (4 in my group plus a group of 22 Germans who were headed to Montreal for a New England cruise) who missed our connecting flight. When they'd finally sorted something out, we were given vouchers for the night plus $20 for dinner and $10 for breakfast. I had asked if dinner would even be available at that hour since it was nearly 11:00pm and were told that yes, the hotel knew we were coming and that food would be available. We were all loaded into private cars and driven 30 minutes to Brampton. As soon as I saw that it was a Comfort Inn, I knew there was no food. The receptionist at the desk had no idea who we were or why we were there. He was incredibly apologetic as he tried to sort out what was going on. He told us that he'd been called and told that the airline "might need 20 rooms or it might be 50" but never called back to confirm any details. So here were 26 people in the lobby of the hotel waiting for things to get sorted out. He opened up the breakfast room for us at least. One of the ladies with the other group started eating bananas, while two others took bowls of dry cereal, as it was the only food available other than the vending machine in the lobby. Finally, at nearly midnight, we fell into bed exhausted. On top of that we had to be back at the airport by 5am to catch our flight to Montreal. On top of this, all of our bags ended up getting put on the flight to Montreal that night, as we likely would have caught the flight itself had we not been delayed at the baggage carousel and then again at security. Icelandair argued with us that our bags were in Toronto even though we all insisted that they were not there! It wasn't until a supervisor with the airline made a call and confirmed that indeed, we were correct, and our bags had been sent through to YUL. I wish I could rate the airline better. The in-flight crew were amazing. KEF is a bit chaotic (well, really chaotic) but the agents we had to deal with in Toronto just put the icing on the cake for me. They made the experience less than pleasant and seemed to pass the buck, putting blame on WestJet for the bag issue while ignoring the fact that it was Icelandair's 20 minute delay that put us all in the situation in the first place.
RouteGlasgow to Toronto via Reykjavik
Date FlownOctober 2019

"does not care much about customers"

Not Verified | Denver to Munich via Keflavik. Worry when flying this airline. Before our trip, Icelandair changed the date one of our return legs, but not the other if I had not been carefully monitoring we would have been stuck in Iceland. On Oct 9, we departing Denver, their reservation system failed for an hour in the flight from Denver to Munich, which delayed the flight, and the crew refused to assure us we would make our connection. Then today, Oct 29, on returning from Munich to Denver the desk crew showed up late and were nonchalant about getting started in taking bags. We will probably make it, but it seems this airline does not care much about their customers concerns.
RouteDenver to Munich via Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Appalling to say the least"

Not Verified | Orlando to Manchester via Keflavik. They don't offer complimentary food service on an international flight of over 10 hours total, this was a first for me. Basically bring your own food & snacks from home if you don't want to pay exorbitant prices on food & snacks by Icelandair. Appalling to say the least.
RouteOrlando to Manchester via Keflavik

"Absolutely appalling"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Keflavik to London Heathrow. I fly weekly, generally on Emirates or Cathay Pacific. I can tell you that my first experience with Icelandair is the worst of any airline I have experienced. My partner and I were flying from Reykjavik to London and both had connecting flights to make out of London. Icelandair delayed our flight by 3 hours, forcing us to miss our connections. Rebooking our connections cost us almost £1800, and created an unbelievable amount of stress for us. No compensation whatsoever from Icelandair and what’s even worse, I submitted my claim to them almost 3 weeks ago and they still didn’t get back to me. I can’t make a travel insurance claim until they tell me why the flight was delayed. Absolutely appalling. Do NOT fly Icelandair.
RouteKeflavik to London Heathrow
Date FlownOctober 2019

"will not give us any credit"

Trip Verified | We were scheduled to fly out of Boston to Reykjavik, but our flight to Boston was late getting to the gate due to weather in Boston. The Iceland air flight left early, and the airline cancelled the return flight. The airline refused to help us book another flight and will not give us any credit. We also lost money on our hotel because we could not fly there.
RouteBoston to Reykjavik

"they changed my ticket"

Not Verified | Horrible, I bought ticket Montreal-Reykjavik then they changed my ticket to Toronto-Reykjavik, I had to beg to get a flight from Montreal to Toronto since I live in Montreal. They finally did it but they were expecting us to just accept the fact of flight from Toronto and not Montreal. Then I tried to buy a checked bag and they charged me extra because of my connection flight Montreal-Toronto - what a joke!
RouteMontreal to Reykjavik
Date FlownOctober 2019

"wife and I had completely different seats"

Trip Verified | Extra late takeoff. Rude staff. Seats were reserved in January. We got emails this morning confirming our seats with checkin. When we arrived and got our boarding passes, my wife and I had completely different seats in 2 different rows no longer next to each other. When trying to get it corrected, which took about 25 minutes and 3 people before anyone would even help, we were told that our seats were now taken by other people, and they can't do anything to help. There was only one seat remaining in row 30 when we reserved row 12. Cannot reccomend.
RouteReykjavík to Toronto