Icelandair

"unfriendly to customers"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Newark via Keflavik. Greedy, unfriendly to customers. Be warned. Icelandair operates on a stone-age Policy An embassy was still holding my passport for visa when my flight back to Europe came up. Impossible to reschedule the flight without knowing when my passport will be in my hands, I knew I'd lost the costs on my flight. However, it came as a huge shock that Icelandair would refuse to reimburse me for my bag-in-the-hold and in-flight food costs booked online separately from the flight. The greed of Icelandair tops every other horror story on my watch. To top it off, I just received a message that the return trip I cannot take from Newark to London has been canceled somehow, and my flight has been changed to United Airlines at 10 pm, two hours later. United doesn't charge for food on the plane, but Icelandair is keeping my money for the food they're not serving. Unforgivable.
RouteFrankfurt to Newark via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2019

"last and only time using this airline"

Not Verified | Washington to London via Keflavik. This was my first time flying with this airline, the check in at Dulles international was ok until we reached the check in, the staff were sullen and then they charged us $100 for each bag by 2 for the outbound flight and the same on the return flight totalling $400. The check in lady stated that it was a budget ticket and we were required to pay for baggage but I spoke with other passengers and they were charges as well.There was no food unless you payed for it and cabin crew were the same cold attitude and barely said goodbye as you left the flight. We didn't mind if we need to pay $20-$30 for baggage but not $200.00 per trip. This will be my last and only time using this airline. The seats we also very cramped, the outbound flight was delayed 2hours and another hour sitting at the gate before departure and no reason was given.Then when we arrived in Iceland we were delayed another hour. We have traveled translantic flight that baggage and food of some kind was included. With the additional charged we could have traveled for less and had a direct flight.
RouteWashington to London via Keflavik

Icelandair customer review

Not Verified | Denver to Dublin via Keflavik. Icelandair has done nothing but change, cancel and rebook flights since my reservation. Connecting flights not connecting and customer service will not help with nerds basically leaving you to fend for yourself. I will not use them again nor recommend them to anyone.
RouteDenver to Dublin via Keflavik

"my luggage was lost"

Not Verified | Copenhagen to New York via Keflavik. I have flown with Icelandair a few times in the past year. I never had an issue and have always flown business class. On this particular trip, my luggage was lost and for some reason it never had the "Priority Luggage" tag on it. After 10+ hours of traveling, the last thing I wanted was my luggage to not even be placed on the plane. I was treated poorly, until they found out I was not in economy class, but in fact I was in business class. I received a call the next day that it was on a completely different flight and it would be in JFK by 7pm. I waited until 1am to receive a call for my luggage, but was not given one. I checked the website and it stated that my luggage was delivered, when it fact it was not. I dealt with them all day yesterday being "promised " 5 different times on when I should get my luggage. I would have been okay with a proper update or even an accurate time. I did not appreciate how this was handled at all. I normally do not write reviews, but this really makes me think twice on if it is even worth to travel with this airline again.
RouteCopenhagen to New York via Keflavik

"Left a bitter taste"

Not Verified | I had a mixed experience. I was flying economy with 3 others in my family from Chicago to Reykjavik. Pre-Paid 110 dollars to check a bag 2-way. I had 3 other carry-ons that I have taken on multiple flights with no issues. In Chicago, they said that 2 of my bags don't fit (as in the wheels were out by a half-inch.) But they were nice about it and let me check it in for free. On the way back, I had the misfortune of meeting an unfriendly agent. No name tag. Everyone was called an agent. He said that I have to check all 3 bags as the wheel was out by a half inch. They have a ridiculous sized box, and I was shocked that I have to pay 207 dollars more to check in 3 bags. I had a device to remove the wheels, and so I removed it. He said that it is not enough for it to go in I cannot push it in to fit, but it has to slide in without pressure. He got angry with me and said that I have to check in. My wife and kids were getting nervous, so I went to a different part to check in, and removed the wheels and showed it to another agent, who said that all 3 bags were fine. I still checked it in. This time for free as the bag was eligible as a carry on. They could have offered that to me. I assumed it wouldn't be a problem as the Chicago agent let me do that. Other than that, the agents in the plane were friendly. I could detect this agent's disgust and felt he was picking passenger to challenge. I will probably never go to Iceland again after this experience, forget Icelandair. Left a bitter taste while I was leaving the country. Ridiculous check-in luggage charges and ridiculous that they don't give you a tag to check-in because the bag is a tad bigger. Even though these bags are sold as carry-on bags.
RouteChicago to Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2019

"like they don't care one bit"

Trip Verified | Dublin to New York via Keflavik. Icelandair lost my bag in Reykjavik. I emailed then as soon as I got home. I got one canned email from them and no other contact until today. My bag has been at the Austin airport for 4 day with no contact from Icelandair to let me know it was here. I have emailed them 3 time with no response over the last 4 day. I finally got a call this evening letting me know I can come pick it up. It feels like they don't care one bit! I paid for business class ticket and was treated very badly. A phone call or a follow up email would have been enough but nothing from them.
RouteDublin to New York via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2019

"not fly again with Icelandair"

Not Verified | Chicago to Glasgow via Reykjavik. Late departure from Chicago to Reykjavik causing a near miss on our connection to Glasgow. We also were asked to check our carry on luggage as the flight was full. This might have been ok if our luggage were not lost. Trying to contact the courier service to have our bags delivered once they were located was a mess. Bags were delayed by 3 days. My speculation is that we just barely made the connection and the bags of course didn’t. The personnel at the claims desk in Glasgow were quite pleasant. That’s the only good thing about the situation. On our return from Glasgow the aircraft started boarding an HOUR after listed board time! Hence we did not make our connection USA from Reykjavik. We were put on a flight leaving 3 hours later! No explanation was given for the delay. Horrible service, and will not fly again with Icelandair.
RouteChicago to Glasgow via Reykjavik
Date FlownMay 2019

"the airline cancelled flight"

Not Verified | Washington to Gatwick via Keflavik. I had my families vacation to England booked for almost two months when the airline cancelled flight. They had no available flights to reschedule us on so I was forced to rebook at $900+ increase on a different airline. How do you cancel an entire flight one month out with no replacement flight. If you would have done this a month or more ago my change in flight might have been considerably less. Will never book with this airline again.
RouteWashington to Gatwick via Keflavik

"my bag did not arrive"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Glasgow via Keflavik. They gave me the wrong meal on the first leg of my flight. Then when I got to my destination my bag did not arrive along with about 6 other people. I called every day and never got an update on where my bag was or when it would be delivered. I never got an apology or anything better for losing my bag and all my stuff and forcing me to spend time I didn't have shopping for basic clothing to make it through a work trip. Not recommended.
RouteSan Francisco to Glasgow via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2019

"worst airline we have used"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Glasgow via Keflavik. We booked our flight to leave April 13-23/19. Weeks later we received an email from them that our flight was cancelled on April 23, changed to April 24. We either had to extend our holiday or pay them a cancellation fee. (Even though they changed/ cancelled the flight we booked and paid for). We had already booked our tours so had no choice but to extend. A few hours before we were set to fly out April 13, our flight was cancelled and changed to leave April 14. We tried and tried and tried to get through to Icelandair on the phone but to no avail. There phone message said the # was unavailable. So they cancelled our flight and we then can’t even contact them!! We drove to the airport to see if we could rectify the situation at the airport but even the Icelandair staff could not get through on the phone to there own company. It must have been in fine print. As I did not see it but you have to pay $260 Canadian to check luggage on an international flight? I read food for purchase/ drinks for purchase but not no where did I see I had to pay for luggage. So again on an international flight to only take carry on. I tried to reach out to Icelandair but they basically told me they don’t care. When they say no service on Icelandair they mean it from the time you book to during the flight and after. We travel a lot and have used many different airlines and by far Icelandair is the worst airline we have ever used.
RouteEdmonton to Glasgow via Keflavik