Icelandair

"would not fly Icelandair ever again"

Not Verified | If I had any other option - I would not fly Icelandair ever again. In March they cancelled my flight from Gatwick to Keflavik less than a week before the fly date, rebooked me on another flight which was then cancelled again 3 days before the departure even after I contacted their customer service to make sure that it will not be cancelled (they told me that it will 100% not be cancelled cause they're trying to bring all the natives home because of Covid - I'm Icelandic so was reassured by this which was a huge mistake). I ended up buying a last minute flight with EasyJet to get home to my family. So overall it cost me between £1k-£1.5k with the many train tickets I had to buy cause they kept cancelling and the last minute flight. Didn't get my refund until September and that was after I contacted the CEO directly. During summer and easter I kept calling their customer service which just told me that I'm in a queue to get a refund (complete bollocks since people who got their flights cancelled in July/August were getting their refunds while I was still waiting from March!). Now, I need to get back to the UK since my university is starting again, Icelandair is the only airline flying between UK and Iceland that doesn't have any connections in different countries right now so I had no chocie to book with them again. My flight was supposed to be this Saturday and I just received an email from them that it was cancelled - 2 days before departure. They rebooked me for Sunday but I wouldn't be surprised at all if I got an email from them tomorrow or on Sat that, that flight will be cancelled as well. Not to mention, I already booked the train tickets and the hotel for Saturday and changing that to Sunday cost me yet again a lot of money and I had to call my student accommodation and let them now of the change in plans as well. If you have any other option then Icelandair, even if it's more expensive, choose it.
RouteKeflavik to London Heathrow
Date FlownMarch 2020

" the seating wasn't bad for coach"

Not Verified | I had the foresight to fly back home cheaply before borders were shut in some countries. Boeing 757's are hardly spacious but the seating wasn't bad for coach in a narrow body.The cabin was immaculate, it had that new plane smell. Crew polite and efficient, if a little reserved compared to other nationalities. I don't expect to be pampered on a low cost airline. Buy on board menu was ok, fairly priced for a European airline.
RouteOrlando to Copenhagen via Reykjavik
Date FlownMarch 2020

"only two passengers on the flight"

Not Verified | Reykjavik to Boston during the COVID19 shutdown. There were only two passengers on the flight. When boarding we were told there was water and a snack on our seat. I was able to stretch out for the five hour flight. It was difficult times and the airline did well.
RouteReykjavik to Boston
Date FlownApril 2020

"cancelled without me being notified"

Trip Verified | On June 27 I flew from Sacramento CA to Seattle to take Icelandair flight 680 to Iceland only to find out that the flight had been cancelled without me being notified. No flights back the same day so I had to rent a car to drive back to Sacramento, about 14 hours. Vacation gone so no way of even contacting the airline. Customer number just a recording pointing you to one place or the other on their website. Icelandair is is the most dishonest company I have ever done business with.
RouteSeattle to Reykjavik
Date FlownJuly 2019

"I need my money back"

Trip Verified | I bought a ticket on business class through Edreams company, with Icelandair to travel to Geneva, through Iceland capital on 31 May 2020. But some days before the flight I received a cancellation notice of the flight from Icelandair, while I cancelled my accommodation lease for that date in New York, trusting the company Icelandair and thinking that I will be travelling on that date, which caused me a lot of trouble after, because I couldn’t travel on the 31st of May. And I am blocked now in New York, because of Icelandair and Edreams. Icelandair with the help of some companies like Edreams are selling tickets of flights that they know will not be fulfilled in order to keep the money of the travelers, this is a scam and theft, and not a legit business. Then after many unanswered calls, I submitted a request for a refund, but didn't even receive a reply from them till now, I wonder now, are they a valid company or a scam company taking the money of naïve people like me. I don't want a voucher I need my money back to buy a new ticket to travel to Geneva.
RouteNew York to Geneva via Reykjavik
Date FlownMay 2020

"letting you down last minute"

Trip Verified | Cancelled flights last minute, not respecting their own 7 days cancellation policy. did not even bother to answer my calls / mails. Poor customer handling, and about as bad business sense. They let you book flights they know will not fly and then do not care at all about letting you down last minute. Not even able to contact them.
RouteReykjavik to Geneva
Date FlownMay 2020

"by far the worst I've dealt with"

Not Verified | Global pandemics throw everyone into chaos but just getting an update from anyone at this airline is disastrous. Having flown with them on a previous trip I had no problems booking the tickets months in advance, but once they decided to cancel almost all their flights that's when the radio silence happened. They sent 1 e-mail to inform me of the cancellation, but after I submitted form for the refund there was nothing from an actual human being. 3 follow-up e-mails trying to entice me into taking a travel voucher but not one response about their form. Phone calls, e-mails and follow-up forms were submitted to no avail. Having dealt with other cancellations during this pandemic, this is by far the worst I've dealt with so far. I finally broke down and filed the complaint with the DOT and disputed the charge with my credit card. Never again Icelandair! Just not worth the trouble.
RouteSeattle to London via Keflavík
Date FlownMay 2020

"not be booking with them again"

Not Verified | I am currently extremely frustrated with the process in which this airline is handling this pandemic. As many working Americans we plan our flights around what little time we have available. This pandemic has created absolute uncertainty with any and all previously made plans. However, when I spoke to customer service representatives (yes plural because no one could give me an answer), I was told that the airlines policy is credit until the end of the year. Seems simple enough if you are fortunate enough to take time from your occupation and other responsibilities at the drop of a hat. The trip my husband and I had planned was a years worth of planning and coordinating housing and other activities we wanted to enjoy on our honeymoon. Many of these were difficult to reschedule for the next year, let alone by the end of the year. I am incredibly frustrated and disappointed in their lack of willingness to work with frequent fliers all because of policy. Will not be booking with them again.
RouteDenver to Dublin via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2020

"told that policy is policy"

Trip Verified | After an extremely frustrating conversation, that may have well been with an automated system that you continuously repeat “speak to a representative” to no avail, except this was with a human robot who could only speak protocol, I have managed my anger and am now able to articulate my disgust with this airline with control. Currently we are all experiencing a global pandemic, of great magnitude. Most of us have been out of work, without sustainable income for several weeks, with no promise of our current situation Seeing positive change in the foreseeable future. This is having a devastating effect on, not only, our economy, but the majority of our personal lives and livelihood. This should go without saying. We are doing what he have no choice to do, hopefully, you are able to keep yourselves and your families alive, with food In your bellies and roofs over your heads. We will get through this one way or another. As for travel, Denver Colorado, which is where I currently reside, has just declared lockdown/social distancing until at least the first of may. Denver international airport has posted on their website that there will be NO international travel for the entire month of April, however, Icelandair is not following suit with cancelling, or changing, or refunding these flights until 24 hours prior to scheduled travel. Pandemic considered, obviously, “ I understand your frustrations, ma’am, but it is not our policy to issue refunds” is the best they can do when the first country to be hit by this virus, is still not recovered. I was told that policy is policy, that who ever I was speaking with did not have a supervisor.
RouteDenver to Dublin via Keflavik
Date FlownApril 2020

"offer horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | I was scheduled to fly out to Reykjavík from JFK/ New York City on 3/13/20. The president of the United States had issued a travel ban to Europe including Iceland during that time. When I contacted the Airline/travel agency they told me that my IcelandAir had not instituted a travel ban against the USA. So it was irrelevant to them and not their concern regarding my re-entry into the USA. Rather they tried to convince me it was completely safe to travel with to Iceland and their COVID19 cases were having a minimal impact on tourist activities. I choose not to make that flight and later called to reschedule the next story they told me was I would have to reschedule my flight by October 2020. I told them this was not possible as the local tour group I was traveling with rescheduled our trip for next year 3/21. Again they were dismissive and said they could not help me. A couple weeks later I tried reaching IcelandAir again. This time they were not talking phone calls or email messages. Instead they said contact them through social media, like Facebook messenger. I sent a message through Facebook messenger and it was ignored for roughly a week. They then said restrictions were now that I had to complete my travel by January 1, 2021. Again I told them my Iceland tour agency rescheduled my trip a year out to March 2021. So the airline refused to help again. This past week I finally got a response to an email I had sent them some time ago. They said contact my tour/flight agency as they can not help me but I may now travel after January 2021 if I pay a rescheduling fee. Today I contacted that agency and they told me IcelandAir had suspended my tickets and they can no longer change or give me any sort of credit. I told the agency I just emailed with IcelandAir this week about rescheduling why would they now suspend my tickets. The agency said we cannot help you. You have to negotiate with IcelandAir. So I immediately called IcelandAir back only to get a message saying they are busy and cannot take my call. The call was then disconnected. I understand that COVID19 has placed IcelandAir under financial distress but my treatment has come across as if they are playing games and disregarding the safety of their customers. It seems extremely dishonest. Every time you do actually get through they have yet another reason why you are not qualified for rescheduling or credit. I would strongly encourage future fliers not to travel with this carrier. They are dishonest, uncaring, and offer horrible customer service.
RouteNew York JFK to Reykjavík