Icelandair

"sold one product and given another"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Boston via Keflavik. Along with many other of the customer's reviewed here, I was part of the Icelandair's plane switch due to the Boeing 737 Max groundings. The planes that they replaced them with are smaller, cramped, tinny (vibrating quite a bit upon take off), and with really bad entertainment systems (didn't work for half the plane on the Amsterdam-Keflavik leg of my journey) with crummy selections. I used to love Icelandair. I am tall and their extra leg space meant I could still feel my legs after a trans-Atlantic flight. The service was basic, but the flight staff have always been kind and accommodating. And I love stopping in Iceland, it is a beautiful place. The flights this summer were with replacement planes. I was not notified of this when buying the ticket, or before my first flight in June. The seats were extremely cramped and narrow. Sitting all the way back my knees were jammed into the seat in front of me. My shoulders were held tight in order not to cramp others out of their space. The flight staff went above and beyond to make my seating better, and my experience better, but they couldn't change the seats. My main problem is that I was sold one product and given another. The flight staff were apologetic and gave me a card with contact info. This was the replay I received: "I´m sorry ... We are doing our very best in a difficult situation and trying to avoid massive flight cancellations in the best way we can. Best regards" It was a revealing testament to the difference between the flight staff and the corporate office. Shame on you Icelandair, throwing your customers under the proverbial bus. Shame.
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER
RouteAmsterdam to Boston via Keflavik
Date FlownAugust 2019

"We received different seats"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Vancouver via Reykjavik in July. We still have several claims opened with Icelandair due to different incidents occurred during the flights, this is related the first flight. We were flying with a baby (<2 years) so we decided to purchase seats with more legroom / extra space. We decided to make the reservation for the seats, already in February when we did the purchase of the flight. We did reservation for extra legroom seats for the long flights (between 80- 100€ for each seat), and for normal seats for the short flights (between 20-30€ for each seat). But when we did the check 24hrs before our first flight in July, surprise! We received different seats for all flights (long and short), it was impossible to get our extra leg room seats without paying again, so we decided to complain at the airport before flying, unfortunately without success. Icelandair gave us several excuses: seats are not suitable when flying with babies (why was then possible for us to reserve them?), airplane change.They said we have to claim for our money via internet / Icelandair webpage customer support. We did it directly after our flight, and currently two weeks later we just have received an email saying that we will be compensated for the extra legroom reservation (nothing about the rest of seats reservation) in 4-6 weeks. Airplanes are old - Food service for all flights (long and short) have to be paid. The food quality and quantity is poor. Service is very slow. Flight entertainment has to be updated - Wifi service only paid service. No Customer service existing when complaining. Seat space is rare and is the same for long and short flights.
RouteBerlin to Vancouver via Reykjavik
Date FlownJuly 2019

"The aircraft was ancient"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Keflavik in Saga Class, which is Icelandair's premier cabin. Icelandair uses SAS staff at check-in and the SAS Business Lounge at Copenhagen airport. The lounge was unremarkable but pleasant, affording showers and refreshments. The aircraft was ancient (28 years old) and the Saga Class seats throughout the Icelandair fleet are well behind the times. However, for a short hop of 3 hours they are comfortable enough. On-board service was excellent.
RouteCopenhagen to Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2019

"They are totally unresponsive"

Not Verified | Washington to Dublin via Reyjkavik. They forced us a to check one of our bags that clearly fits in the overhead compartments, then they lost it. They are totally unresponsive.
RouteWashington to Dublin via Reyjkavik
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Never flying with them again"

Trip Verified | London to Washington via Keflavik. The air-hostesses were passive aggressive - which was comical considering they were hurrying me aggressively onto a flight that was delayed by 2 hours and still sat at the gate for an additional hour after boarding. I don't like long haul flights that try to get out of serving food by forcing stopovers and I despise airlines that give you a single cup of a free beverage without any free snacks. You pay $700 for the ticket and they give you a single cup of sparkling water and an attitude. Never flying with them again. The entertainment options were very limited compared to other airlines - and everything was riddled with ads for random icelandic business and overpriced tourist traps. At least 5 minutes of pure ad space before you can even access the main menu. The seats aren't uncomfortable - but lack space. Another issue was that you can't control the airflow to your seat - meaning you'll need to bring clothing appropriate for whatever temperature you're given.
RouteLondon to Washington via Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2019

"zero respect for it's customers"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Keflavik. What a joke this company is. If you can fly a different airline to Iceland please do and save yourself the headache of dealing with a company which has zero respect for it's customers. I bought and paid for their "extra leg room" seats ($65 each) and when I boarded the plane the seats I selected were their regular seats, which are extraordinarily cramped. I asked the flight attendant about this and she said, Oh this happens a lot since they change planes. In reality, their booking system is completely screwed up as the plane model was the same on my return flight and had the same exact issue. So they have a known problem which they won't fix, red flag one. Second, they will gladly sell you a seat which doesn't exist, red flag two. I'm directed to contact support over the web for my refund, in reality any reputable airline would refund your money with a simple phone call for this type of blatant screw up. This is an obvious and known error on their part which would warrant swift resolution. But no, I open the ticket and here were are 6 weeks later with no material response from them. They are obviously desperate to keep their $130 and hoping that giving me the run-around via email will get me to forget about it- red flag three. At this point I am done with them and will be pursuing a refund through my credit card company. Lesson learned, never deal with these desperate low budget airlines that nickel and dime for any little thing.
RouteSeattle to Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2019

"avoid this company"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Keflavik return in Saga class. In MAD this company does not have any agreement to use the Fast track, nor a Lounge. Boarding is by bus. The flight and the attention on the plane are normal. KEF-MAD The KEF lounge is fine. The flight, without notification of any kind, is made by a charter company, Privilege Style, of which nonca had heard nothing. On the web, when buying tickets and in subsequent mail, no mention of this change. In MAD, transfer from the plane to the terminal by bus. If you can, avoid this company.
RouteMadrid to Keflavik

"Worst check in ever"

Not Verified | Dublin to Reykjavik. Worst check in ever. Don’t bother checking in online if you have a bag to put on the aircraft. You are at the back of an enormous queue of people who are being fleeced to pay to check in. Absolute joke of a check in process.
RouteDublin to Reykjavik
Date FlownJuly 2019

"onboard service was excellent"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Keflavík to Copenhagen in Saga Class, which is Icelandair's premier cabin. For this early morning flight, we used the excellent Saga Lounge at Keflavík airport to have breakfast. Flight was on time, onboard service was excellent. The one wrinkle was the boarding process in Keflavík. Icelandair needs to up their game here. As a premium class passenger one expects convenience and not having to jostle to get into the aircraft.
Aircraft767
RouteKeflavík to Copenhagen
Date FlownJuly 2019

"the staff were incredible"

Not Verified | Had a great flight with Icelandair. Seats were very comfortable, we were given blankets and a pillow to add to the comfort. For the entertainment system, it included many films and shows I’ve been looking to see for a while, so I spent most of my time watching films. As for the staff, they were incredible! Between one of my family members losing a Mobile in Reykjavik to another family member taking sick midflight, they were amazing in their attempts to do what they could and showed much kindness. The only problem I had was that the WiFi wouldn’t connect, not sure if it was only me or if it was only the flight I was on.
RouteDublin to Orlando via Reykjavik