Iberia

"suitcase was put in the hold"

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Madrid. We left 7 mins late, as I was group 4, because I am not a frequent flyer was forced to board late and my suitcase was put in the hold. They didn’t care, but once inside the plane I saw plenty of space on the overhead compartment and many people after me boarding with their case. Attendants treated me badly as when I asked why they didn’t even answer me.
RouteBarcelona to Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2019

"were refused to board"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Tangier. We were at the gate but were refused to board after the gate staff checked with someone. Our bags were also not offloaded. The delay was due to a long queue at the passport control. We were then kept asking to talk to different staff from the airline and they didnt bother how to help us to get another ticket. It is the worst experience I have had.
RouteMadrid to Tangier
Date FlownNovember 2019

"the staff were very attentive"

Trip Verified | Buenos Aires to Madrid. Online check in painless and quick. Bag drop at Ezeiza - chaos. 3 hours before departure and there was a long line snaking through the terminal and only one person at that time handling the economy class check in. Over an hour to check in. Boarding at Ezeiza - chaos. The call came out and the lines started forming early. Waiting and more waiting. Boarding by groups. When the calls came to board group 3 it was as if a crowd had decided to form a scrum and there was no major effort to establish some order. On board: The aircraft is new, the seats comfortable, good IFE, basic pillow, blanket and earphone provided. The flight was full and the staff were very attentive helping with hand luggage and getting people seated. The crew were friendly and the service efficient. Economy class meal portions are getting smaller but the quality was perfectly fine. In the middle of the flight, in the back galley, juice and water was available as well as some sandwiches. One hour approx before landing, breakfast service was a snack box (sandwich, chocolate and yogurt) plus tea/coffee/juice. All in all: On the ground at Ezeiza - poor. On board: good. Flight was on time.
RouteBuenos Aires to Madrid
Date FlownOctober 2019

"lost our flight to Puerto Rico"

Trip Verified | London to Puerto Rico via Madrid. Flight was half hour late into Madrid - the bus that took us from arrival to our new gate kept us in the bus for 50 minutes and we lost our flight to Puerto Rico - had to stay the night in Madrid - next day they put us on a flight to Philadelphia which ended up being cancelled in Philadelphia so we spent the night at the airport sleeping on the floor and left the next day again late - a total of 44 hours delay. I filled in a complaint in June - they say they will respond in 21 days - 4 months later I receive a note that says they only offer compensation when they have oversold a flight and cannot accomodate you. I not only was delayed due to their fault 44 hours but I paid two nights in a luxury hotel in Puerto Rico which I was not able to use.
RouteLondon to Puerto Rico via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2019

"1 or 2 minutes late at the gate"

Trip Verified | Porto to Santiago de Chile via Madrid. 1 or 2 minutes late at the gate and we were refused to board, bags were offloaded and we lost our connecting flights. We had to buy new Tickets for next day's flight. Absolutely unacceptable. We will avoid Iberia whenever possible in the future.
RoutePorto to Santiago de Chile via Madrid

"I missed my connection"

Trip Verified | Bilbao to London via Madrid. Avoid Iberia if you have a connecting flight in the evening requiring an overnight stay in Madrid if you miss your connection. My flight from Bilbao to Madrid was 1,5 hours late and I missed my connection to London Heathrow, which was the last flight to London in that evening. Once I left the plane, I found out that there was no transfer desk or customer service desk available. I eventually found a staff member at a random boarding gate, who told me that there are no more transfer desks near any boarding gate areas (they used to exist before) and that missed connections are now handled at check in. I would have to leave via luggage claim and go to check-in. I did, only to find a crowded service desk with 3 or 4 ladies in red uniforms chatting to each other. After waiting for 20 minutes and no progress in the line, I decided to check the Business class service desk, where a very friendly staff member decided to help me, confirming my new flight in the next morning and giving me a hotel and food voucher for the night. If it was not for her, I would probably have stayed up all night waiting for a solution. Therefore, never again. On top of that, my flights with unmotivated cabin crew and very slow service in general.
RouteBilbao to London via Madrid
Date FlownOctober 2019

"I could not get verification"

Not Verified | New York to Madrid. At check in, I paid to select seats for a group of four travellers. Iberia’s website hung and I could not get verification. We restarted the process and were successful, except when I reviewed my credit card bill at home, I discovered that Iberia charged us twice.
RouteNew York to Madrid
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Very rude staff!"

Not Verified | Flew round trip from Chicago to Madrid and the cabin service both ways was horrible. No water was being offered during the whole flight. The only time drinks were being offered was at meal times. After that no attendants were seen again. And when I went to the back where the attendants sat and visited with one another I was treated rudely for asking for water. Very rude staff! They made me feel I was bothering them. Also they never walked around picking trash before landing. The only time they pick up trash was after meals. The cabin was littered with trash since there was no place to put them. People had to also used the seat pockets as trash bins. Very sad. First and last time flying with Iberia.
RouteMadrid to Chicago
Date FlownOctober 2019

"have never had a horrible experience like this before"

Not Verified | This is the worse trip my friends and I have ever had! I booked my trip with Iberia, not knowing that this company was going to use another company called Level for my return to the USA. The awful experience started when I was trying to do my check-in online. The system did not let me finish my check-in and I got a message saying "If you are unable to complete the process, the boarding passes can be received at the airport." The system also asked my if I wanted to check in an "extra" luggage. Since I only had one luggage with me, I decided to ignore this (one piece can't be considered extra luggage, specially on an international trip). When we got to the airport the lady from Iberia told my friends an I that we needed to pay $90 for our luggage. I explained to her what happened during the check-in and that the system did not give me the option to check in the first luggage, however, she ignored the claim and we had to pay for it. In addition, we asked the lady if the meals were included and she clearly said: "yes, two meals are included." The trip lasted 12 hours and 50 minutes. This airline did not offer a cup of water during the whole trip, the flight attendant had a list with people's names, and only those people received a meal. The person sitting next to me, received a whole meal, while my friends and I were not offer anything (literally, not even a cup of water, for the whole trip). The people sitting behind me were really upset and they told the flight attendant that they had paid 30 euros for their meal but since they were not in the list they did not receive anything. The flight attendant told the lady "if there is extra food when we finish serving to whoever is in the list, I will bring something for you." On top of that, we tried to purchase some food and the screens on the seat indicated that the store was closed. My friend needed to take a pill and asked for a cup of water, they responded: "we only have water for purchase." There were so many unhappy people in the plane that all we heard during the trip was complains. In addition, it was super cold in the airplane and the airline did not provide blankets or anything, only for purchase, but again, the store was closed. In conclusion, do not book your trip with Iberia because you don't know what you going to get. Believe me, I have travel a lot but I have never had a horrible experience like this before. Please take my advice!
RouteMadrid to Barcelona via San Francisco
Date FlownOctober 2019

"I missed my connecting flight"

Trip Verified | Athens to Seville via Madrid. This was a 4 hour flight departing at 4pm, the arrival flight was 20 minutes late which was OK until we boarded with two extra passengers, yes they issued 143 boarding passes for a 141 seater aircraft. With the two extra passengers being booted off their baggage required finding and unloading this delayed the flight by a further hour. They do not have inflight entertainment, Wi-Fi, music or anything. Within 10 rows of pay to order food service they ran out of substantial snacks only chips and chocolate left. Due to all these delays I missed my connecting flight which happened to be the last flight for the day. Ground staff told me I could not retrieve my bags, they would provide accommodation but there would be no compensation for costs already incurred (airport Transfer and accommodation). My accommodation at Airport Suites was appalling, single bed, no toiletries or night wear as advised we would receive. The meal was a buffet which may have been sitting unheated or refrigerated for over 3 hours. Iberia do not except emails all complaints need to be loaded on a web page which after spending 30 minutes completing would not submit.
RouteAthens to Seville via Madrid