Iberia

"I couldn't check in online"

Trip Verified | Athens to Chicago via Madrid. The only decent part of the experience is the actual flight. Customer service, online checkin were an absolute zero. I couldn't check in online the night before. For some unknown reason, Iberia's online check in wouldn't "accept" my document's country, even though it is USA and appeared in their drop-down box. No matter which browsers I used (Safari, Chrome) it wouldn't work. I called the Iberia customer service phone line and they were no help - told me I had to check in at the airport on flight day, We arrive to Athens airport on an early flight from Santorini. We have a 6-hour layover prior to our Iberia departure and were expecting to spend that time in Iberia's lounge, no - the lounge is beyond the security checkpoint and because the Iberia counter didn't open until 12:20 PM, we were without boarding passes and couldn't go thru security, I would avoid at all costs.
RouteAthens to Chicago via Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2019

"luggage not included in our ticket"

Trip Verified | Milano to Medellin via Madrid. Staff is very cold and not helpful at all. We had to pay additional 120 euros at the check in cause the luggage was not included in our ticket. For 10 hours flying you got advertisement and you have to pay for some drinks. THe price is a bit cheaper than other companies, but not worth it. The seats are very unconfortable, I had a dirty screen and dirty toilet.
RouteMilano to Medellin via Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2019

"I will avoid flying Iberia"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Florence. Absolutely awful experience. Flight was delayed out of Chicago causing me to miss my connecting flight. I was given a new flight that would have caused me to stay at the Madrid airport for 10 hours and fly to Paris and then to Florence when the airline had more available better option flights available. After I went to 5 different customer service stands, I was finally able to get my flight changed to an earlier flight. During this time waiting on customer service I missed 2 potential earlier flight options to my destination. Terrible customer service, long lines at kiosks. I’m now having to travel to Rome and train to Florence, which was my original destination. I will avoid flying Iberia.
RouteMadrid to Florence
Date FlownAugust 2019

"lost 1 of our checked bags"

(Panama)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Panama. Our family of five was told we were on standby waiting list after we arrived at the gate in Madrid for transcontinental flight even having purchased our tickets well in advance. Iberia was finally gracious enough to find seats for us, albeit scattered around the aircraft, and in the very back of the plane. To add insult to injury, they lost 1 of our checked bags. After 12 days, we still can not get a human on the phone to help us locate it.
RouteMadrid to Panama
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Aircraft felt rather tired"

Trip Verified | Madrid to London. Disappointing. Charged similar prices as other full-service carriers on an intra-European flight yet no free snack or drink, same service as a budget airline. Aircraft felt rather tired and the cabin crew were not friendly. Boarding was a complete nightmare, a single jet bridge in the summer in Spain, with no A/C to board a full A340, very poor!
AircraftA340-600
RouteMadrid to London
Date FlownJune 2019

"treating customers with such contempt"

Trip Verified | La Coruna to Nice via Madrid. I got bumped off my Iberia Flight to Nice in Madrid even though I was at the boarding gate before boarding started and had a boarding pass and had paid extra for choosing a seat. I and others were connecting from an Iberia flight from Coruna which was late, so they must have sold our seats to others. But the Nice flight was also late so we were at the gate before boarding started. There was 45 minutes wait at the Iberia service counter after we got bumped, so I bought another Iberia ticket on the next flight before they were all allocated. Iberia refused to refund me the second ticket when I eventually got to the service counter where they transferred me to that same flight on my original ticket. Not at any time did any Iberia staff apologise for selling my £350 seat to someone else. They react as if their customers are just a massive inconvenience to them. Who else could continue to trade while treating their customers with such contempt.
RouteLa Coruna to Nice via Madrid

Iberia customer review

Trip Verified | Madrid to Santiago de Compostela. I received an email to check in 24 hours in advance. I went to their website to check in. Just as I was about to complete the process, the website said an error occured. I could not confirm if I was checked in, or what seats I had. I experience motion sickness, so having a window seat is imperative. Our first flight with Iberia (last week) I was fortunate enough to be assigned a window. Today I was assigned an aisle seat in row 20. I knew I was going to have issues due to my inability to check in, so I ensured to arrive 3.5 hours early for my flight. Apparently, the only window seat left 3.5 hours before the flight is for 30, the last seat of the plane. It is close to the lavatories and does not recline. Checked luggage: I flew with Iberia last week, and again today. Last week we did not have to pay for checked luggage, and today I do. It is 45€ / bag. They cannot explain to me as to why I did not find this information online during the booking process. I'm fine paying for luggage as long as it's reasonable and I am aware in advance. They didn't explain why I didn't have to pay for luggage last week on a longer flight. As far as the flight today, I have not boarded the aircraft yet. Last week we had to wait 45 minutes for our bags to be at the baggage claim.
RouteMadrid to Santiago de Compostela
Date FlownJuly 2019

"I am feeling angry, helpless"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Hamburg to Sevilla via Madrid. I thought that Iberia stood for quality, but I experienced no customer-oriented behaviour on so many levels today. Boarding was completed and we were already running late - cabin crew told us that there was a problem with the luggage - we stood there for one hour in a boarded aircraft, summer heat of 36 degrees outside, cabin crew denied opening the doors to let air in. We were not allowed to take the hand luggage with us (standard procedure, I know), but some had connecting flights and were told that the time would be sufficient (we had that delay of one hour then, had 40 minutes time to change planes...impossible I guess unless that other plane waited. After landing we were told that connecting flights were rescheduled to the regional airline Air Nostrum, but we did not have our luggage, so I had to get my luggage, leave the airport and enter again, go through airport security. Unfortunately, Iberia could not tell us which gate we should go to and told us we should talk to the customer service to find out more. Well, there was a line of 50-100 passengers and 4 employees. So many of us just waited without being able to talk to customer service for our connecting flight. We were hoping that at some point some information would be released. -During those hours of uncertainty I tried to talk to Iberia personnel and was told that I should wait in line. Iberia personnel would even avoid me, when I talked to them, they were just starting to talk to their colleagues. I would have never expected this experience in my life. Certainly it was the worst travelling day for me. I am feeling angry, helpless and also humiliated. I do not expect to get any refund for this.
RouteHamburg to Sevilla via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2019

"less than service oriented"

Trip Verified | Madrid to New York on a new A350 aircraft. The inflight crew was less than service oriented. I had to argue over drinking water and how much I am entitled to. Beside the two regular scheduled services on this 8 hour flight, the crew was not to be seen again in the cabin. They never came through the cabin to offer water or beverages. The food I found to be of inferior quality. The toilets ran out of towels, paper and soap. The flight was delayed.
RouteMadrid to New York
Date FlownJune 2019

"cancelled 1 hour before"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Madrid, my flight has been cancelled 1 hour before departure. At first all passengers have been directed to check-in desk. After 8 hours of waiting, we received new tickets for the flights 28 hours later (flight by BA, which belongs to the same alliance). It was around 2 AM in the night. According to EU regulations, EU airlines on the flights to EU airport in such cases should secure all passengers with: hotel, food and transportation airport-hotel-airport free of charge. At least to cover the costs of it (we paid on our own for it, they only booked the hotel after pressure from passengers). None of these has happened and Iberia is rejecting to compensate without given reason. We are extremely dissapointed for this service.
RouteLos Angeles to Madrid