Iberia

"crew was very polite and helpful"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | I was flying Iberia the first time, and the check in was very average and not very prepared, although they let me check-in in the business class counter, I believe to avoid the queue. I´ve asked to change the seats of my connecting flight as I was flying with other friends, but the lady at the counter did not know if it was possible so she told me to do this in Madrid. A321-200 which was looking new from outside, the business class was very nice arranged and divided by curtains and then the first 5 rows were for the “extra comfort”, and finally mine 7A, which came with a USB plug to charge my phone which was very helpful. I was surprised that food and beverages are buy-onboard with Iberia. The crew was very polite and helpful and before landing they gave us information for connecting flights.
AircraftA321-200
RouteVenice to Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2019

"speaking and mostly Spanish"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Vienna. I was coming from a connecting flight which had a very short connecting time, about 35 minutes, the first plane de boarded very close to the next one which had a delay of 2/2.5 hours. I had to deal with the staff which was speaking little English and mostly Spanish. They rescheduled the flight to a different terminal T4S, without saying it, so I thought it would have taken just a few minutes walking, but we had to take the connecting train which in took like 25 minutes. The A22O neo, was very clean, staff was very rude to me and seemed to be in the hurry. During the landing phase the hostess started telling her colleagues to be quick and make sure that they would have closed everything. Just one time during almost 3h flight the captain, apologized for the delay! There were no free drinks or snack included. I will try in future to avoid flying with them.
AircraftA220-200
RouteMadrid to Vienna
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Very unhappy with our experience"

Not Verified | Very unhappy with our experience on these flights, which we were on because of the BA strike. The in-cabin service was adequate on both legs of the journey. However, our Seville-Madrid sector was running late (we were stacked over Madrid for some reason) and we were concerned about making our onward connection to London. We were given the impression by the stewardess that the distance between our arrival and departure gates at Madrid would be modest. In fact it turned out that we had to get from one end of the terminal to the other, no little distance, and at some speed: we only just made it. This was a very stressful experience as one of us has restricted mobility. To make matters worse, while we made the flight, our luggage did not. We ended up hanging around in baggage reclaim at LHR for about half an hour, only to be told upon enquiry that the bags were coming in on the next flight. We still don't have them. It is impossible to speak to a human being in the customer services department, so I have no idea when I will get them back. Given that we had paid for a premium service, I had expected to receive one, and we did not. Never again.
RouteSeville to London via Madrid
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"hands down the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Seville to London via Madrid. Iberia is hands down the worst airline experience I've had in my life. Of the three Iberia flights I took a month ago, all of them arrived late. They also lost my luggage and could seem to care less about it. I haven't got a single apology for losing it, let alone an attempt to actually recover my bags. Their customer service numbers are an endless maze which keeps you from talking to an actual person. If you do get someone the phone, they are rude and unhelpful. I will never fly Iberia again!
RouteSeville to London via Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2019

"tried to book seats in advance"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Chicago-Madrid leg with Iberia. We tried to book seats in advance. It was impossible from both their website and customer service. I was willing to pay money for my isle seats, but I couldn't. When we checked in at American Airlines desk in LA, they told us that they couldn't change our seats on the ORD-MAD flight, as these can be changed only in Madrid, as AA don't have access to seats map software of IBERIA. Iberia and American Airlines are under the same alliance. So, we had windows seats, and every time we wanted to stand up, we needed to ask to the person who was sitting in the isle to stand up. The problem was that if we were going to the end of the plane, hostesses were telling us that we couldn't stand there unless we were queuing for the toilet. I tried to explain that it's healthier to stand up every now and then on an 8 hour flight for the blood circulation, but it was impossible to explain it. I was willing to pay more for better seats. I couldn't do it.
RouteChicago to Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2019

"attendants were rude to me"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Bogotà to Venice via Madrid. Iberia divide the boarding in 4 groups (which is ok if performed correctly), then they create lines randomly in the airport, move the lines and create chaos. When it was finally my turn and I was almost handling the boarding pass, they called my name for a passport check at the counter. They didn’t explain why, and I had to do the queue twice. Everything just didn’t make any sense, and they didn’t provide any explanation. Flight attendants were rude to me and seem annoyed if you ask something. I pushed the assistance button twice but they never came to the seat. I had to go to the back of the aircraft to get a glass of water and ask assistance to the seat screen. My food was horrible. And for a 10 h flight only one meal. Seating super tiny.
RouteBogotà to Venice via Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2019

"legroom and seat width reasonable"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Madrid. Checked in online via Iberia app which was fine. However bag drop at Heathrow is not automated and there was a huge queue with only 2 staff working - disappointing. Flight itself was OK, legroom and seat width reasonable. Cabin crew seemed jaded. No drinks or snacks included, as per the norm on most airlines now, could be purchased at exorbitant cost, of course. No WI-FI or USB on outward leg, inward leg advertised both, but USB ports broken on my seat. Best feature? Access to Pressreader app from checkin until 24 hours after flight to download unlimited newspapers and magazines from around the world; more airlines should copy this.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2019

"staff only spoke Spanish to me"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Madrid return, in both flights the price was the cheapest but you get what you paid for. The airplane itself is nice, nothing different from the rest of the airlines. The on board entertainment was good. I was surprised that the staff only spoke Spanish to me. Madrid airport lost my luggage. what makes it worst is making the claim through Iberia customer service, they don't have a representative in SFO, you would need to call a number in spain, which an automated service in spanish. I spent couple hours trying to get to someone that spoke english.
RouteMadrid to San Francisco
Date FlownAugust 2019

"I couldn't check in online"

Trip Verified | Athens to Chicago via Madrid. The only decent part of the experience is the actual flight. Customer service, online checkin were an absolute zero. I couldn't check in online the night before. For some unknown reason, Iberia's online check in wouldn't "accept" my document's country, even though it is USA and appeared in their drop-down box. No matter which browsers I used (Safari, Chrome) it wouldn't work. I called the Iberia customer service phone line and they were no help - told me I had to check in at the airport on flight day, We arrive to Athens airport on an early flight from Santorini. We have a 6-hour layover prior to our Iberia departure and were expecting to spend that time in Iberia's lounge, no - the lounge is beyond the security checkpoint and because the Iberia counter didn't open until 12:20 PM, we were without boarding passes and couldn't go thru security, I would avoid at all costs.
RouteAthens to Chicago via Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2019

"luggage not included in our ticket"

Trip Verified | Milano to Medellin via Madrid. Staff is very cold and not helpful at all. We had to pay additional 120 euros at the check in cause the luggage was not included in our ticket. For 10 hours flying you got advertisement and you have to pay for some drinks. THe price is a bit cheaper than other companies, but not worth it. The seats are very unconfortable, I had a dirty screen and dirty toilet.
RouteMilano to Medellin via Madrid