Iberia

"less than service oriented"

Trip Verified | Madrid to New York on a new A350 aircraft. The inflight crew was less than service oriented. I had to argue over drinking water and how much I am entitled to. Beside the two regular scheduled services on this 8 hour flight, the crew was not to be seen again in the cabin. They never came through the cabin to offer water or beverages. The food I found to be of inferior quality. The toilets ran out of towels, paper and soap. The flight was delayed.
RouteMadrid to New York
Date FlownJune 2019

"cancelled 1 hour before"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Madrid, my flight has been cancelled 1 hour before departure. At first all passengers have been directed to check-in desk. After 8 hours of waiting, we received new tickets for the flights 28 hours later (flight by BA, which belongs to the same alliance). It was around 2 AM in the night. According to EU regulations, EU airlines on the flights to EU airport in such cases should secure all passengers with: hotel, food and transportation airport-hotel-airport free of charge. At least to cover the costs of it (we paid on our own for it, they only booked the hotel after pressure from passengers). None of these has happened and Iberia is rejecting to compensate without given reason. We are extremely dissapointed for this service.
RouteLos Angeles to Madrid
Date FlownMay 2019

"entitling us to checked bag each"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Rome. My wife and I bought economy tickets entitling us to a checked bag each. We arrived at the Madrid airport 1:30 before the flight. The check-in area was pure chaos. No help. No clear instructions. Hundreds of people. Finally, we figured out that we needed to use automated machines to emit baggage tags. The first tag came out fine. When I tried for a second, the only option was to pay €60. Same thing for either boarding pass. Since we wanted to get on the plane, I paid. Now Iberia has informed me that my purchase is non-refundable. What a rip-off.
RouteMadrid to Rome
Date FlownMay 2019

"say a massive thank you"

Trip Verified | I just wanted to say a massive thank you to A Vicente (the main man for the cabin crew) on the June 2nd 7.30 Madrid to Luton Airport flight. An error at the desk meant I didn't have a seat number and after some mixed messages from other staff he very quickly thought on his feet and came up with a plan so myself and several others with no seat number could sit down and rest after a long 24 hours. After this, he not only checked up on me to make sure everything was okay, but couldn't do enough to make my journey as pleasant as possible. It really made my flight back to England the best it could be and helped ease the pain after watching Tottenham lose the night before. Cabin crew have to deal with some difficult customers at times, but if all flights had staff like this staff then most customers would be happy in the end. Again a massive thank you for solving what was a quite worrying situation for myself and others.
RouteMadrid to Luton
Date FlownJune 2019

"satisfied with service on the flight"

Trip Verified | Arrival to Miami from Madrid was 30 minutes early. The originating from Palma to Madrid was 35 minutes late in leaving, which gave me 35 minutes to board the flight from Madrid to Miami. Additionally, the computers in Mallorca were down, and all information was entered by hand. Check-in lines in Mallorca were long and slow, and I was happy we arrived 2 1/2 hrs early to Palma airport. Madrid airport is large and I needed to catch the train from one terminal to the next, then ran to the gate for boarding. I made the flight but my luggage did not make the connection. Once in Mami I received a text informing me that our luggage did not make the connection. In Miami the Iberia representive was barely helpful. She was given the text I received from Iberia. She was given my bag claim tickets, and my drivers license which contained my address for delivery. Only one of two bag claim tickets were entered, and my home address was entered wrong, both the street name, and city. Arrival into Miami was Saturday afternoon. It is now Monday and still I am without my baggage. It is very difficult to call Iberia by phone. Initially your information must be given by voice to a computer which more often than not incorrectly interprets your voice instructions requiring repeated attempts, then often transferring you to the incorrect department. Once connected to a live person, they only repeat the data that you can log on and see for yourself. No mechanism exists regarding confirmation of the location of your bags. While the Iberia staff are polite, they really have no mechanism to assist, and were unable to help. On the plus side the staff on the Madrid to Miami flight were pleasant, and the service was above average. I was very satisfied with the service on the flight. The food was below standards compared to the American Airlines flight from Miami to Barcelona. I consider myself a seasoned traveler, and this experience has been trying, frustrating and frankly unacceptable.
RouteMallorca to Miami via Madrid

"can't file a complaint"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Los Angeles. Mobile App doesn't work, on-line check-in never works, they "bump" your seats which were paid for and confirmed 6 mo's in advance without any notice and customer service is useless. The new planes have no room in coach, they require you to put your seat up straight (take off position) during service. When I filed a complaint on their site., it won't accept my information so you physically can't file a complaint!
RouteMadrid to Los Angeles

"Punctual service"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Milan to Lima via Madrid with Iberia. Punctual service, medium-recent airplane, discreet entertainment, space between seats at the height limit of about 1.85m. Main meal to be improved, breakfast ok, no snacks.
AircraftA340-600
RouteMilan to Lima via Madrid

"unacceptable handling"

Trip Verified | Geneva to Mexico City via Madrid. Smooth flight from GVA to MAD, very good lounge at MAD. But flight to Mexico City had 2 hours delay. Food and wine on board excellent. Flight attendants very distant and uninvolved. Arrival in Mexico City chaotic. No Iberia staff to be found to help with missed connections. Found an Iberia lady eventually only thanks to help of airport staff. She handed me ticket for onward flight at 8.20 pm (scheduled, but missed flight would have been at 6.50 am), saying there were no available flights before (there are flights to Cancun every 5 mins, just not all with Interjet, Iberia's partner airline). I demanded hotel, but was refused such. Was handed voucher for a breakfast and lunch in transit area, and then I was on my own. No access to any lounge. Had to re-check in at Interjet, queueing for 70 mins. Asked for earlier flight and was sent to stand-by counter and actually got a last seat on a 11 am flight, running to gate after 4 hours of waiting (standing and no food/refreshments as voucher valid only in transit area). On way back to GVA, Interjet at CUN was unable to print boarding passes for Iberia flights. I was told to get it at departure gate at MEX. Many people with same issue were queuing there already, but no Iberia staff to be seen. I made my way to Iberia's lounge and was granted access after much discussion since I had no Business Class boarding pass yet. Boarding utter chaos. Flights to MAD and GVA smooth. Food and wine again quite good. Flight attendants somewhat more involved, but way below friendliness of airline staff like Asian airlines or even Alitalia or Air France. Overall: Good hard product, but huge staff problem. Absolutely unacceptable handling of Business Class passengers at airports.
RouteGeneva to Mexico City via Madrid

"Very rude cabin crew"

Trip Verified | Porto to Madrid. This flight with Iberia wasn't much different from my past ones. Very rude cabin crew shouting to people when boarding. I was told that was mandatory to get my tax free shopping underneath the seat, which is not true and there was space above. But the best part was the fact my bag didn't make it for my next flight, and is not the first time this happened. Madrid airport seems modern but clearly don't work like should work!
RoutePorto to Madrid
Date FlownApril 2019

"would be able to no show"

Trip Verified | I checked multiple times on the phone that I would be able to no show on my Madrid to Barcelona leg of my flight and made plans to do so. Over the phone they reassured me that it would be no problem at all and I would not have to pay any extra fee. I was wrong and the ticketing officer let me know when I went to check upon arrival to Madrid. Iberia automatically printed a second last name similar to my real one on my boarding pass. This was not my real last name and caused problems at security. I had problems at every ticket booth retrieving my boarding passes.
RoutePhiladelphia to Barcelona via Madrid