Hawaiian Airlines

"delayed hours or canceled"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Lanai. 75% of flights I've taken or tried to take have been delayed hours or canceled all together. The worst part are the continual mechanical issues on this small aging fleet. Just several days ago the cabin filled with smoke and had to divert back to HNL. My advice, fly into OGG Kahului Maui, Uber or taxi over lo Lahaina and take the ferry. It may be more costly but you will feel safer and could very well beat the time you will lose during idle at the gate. You might even see some whales and dolphins on a side benefit.
AircraftATR42
RouteHonolulu to Lanai
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Will never fly again!"

Trip Verified | Sacramento to Honolulu. Terrible plane. Old. Bathrooms didn’t lock. Watched several people walk in on others using the bathroom. Plane was dirty. Update your planes. Played hula dancers the whole flight on the one TV in the cabin. Will never fly again!
RouteSacramento to Honolulu
Date FlownOctober 2018

"never recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Portland. I originally bought my ticket for a 1:15pm flight that would have arrived at 10pm which was perfect timing for me as I needed to drive home another 2hrs so I'd arrive home around midnight. At first, it got changed to 1:30pm; no big deal, whatever. In the airport, it got delayed another 45mins; alright, okay, I can get over that. Then the departure time was changed to 6:15pm, 5hrs after the original time I purchased my ticket because the plane we were supposed to take wasn't functioning properly and we had to wait to switch planes with all new flight staff. We arrived to our destination at 3am. I did not get home until 5am. The compensation? A $20 food voucher for the airport we were stuck in that almost everyone the flight found useless as everyone was prepared fully to be on board with snacks and drinks ALREADY paid for (we had started boarding before it got delayed 5hrs) and most stores closed early so if you didn't grab the voucher and run somewhere quick, too bad for you. Then, you find out in flight, they had the gall to make you pay for a blanket! I'm sorry, if someone wanted a blanket, they should have been given one. It was a flight which turned into a red-eye and at the very least, blankets should have been given out. You had to pay for literally everything, at least give the people who were trying to sleep a blanket! Here's another issue, this 5hr delay caused my partner to need to call out of work the next day as they were my ride home. They lost a whole day's pay now. I had anxiety medications for flying and when I saw we were boarding, I assumed it was safe, so I took them and then when we were delayed, I was screwed out of my anxiety medications for the actual flight. I will never recommend this airline and will never fly with it again.
RouteHonolulu to Portland
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Flight left 4 hours late"

Trip Verified | Maui to San Diego. Flight left 4 hours late. The food served was inedible. The aircraft when entered was like a refrigerator, when asked for a blanket, they needed a credit card to charge for it. Boarding the plane was like amateur hour. Group 1 over here, group 2 sit, group 3 over there. Nice colorful uniforms and lots of Alohas, but not much training. The plane was new and OK when it finally arrived. The flight was cheap but will definitely find a better airline next time. You can download their App and pay for movies on your phone, other than that no entertainment options. Very difficult to arrange seats if you want to sit together.
RouteMaui to San Diego
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"great friendly cabin crew"

Trip Verified | Koa to Seattle via Honolulu. I had very low expectations as we were flying just ahead of Hurricane Lanes approach. I was expecting disorganized delays and everything was actually perfect. Our short inter island flight was the same as always and our flight to Seattle was excellent. A great friendly cabin crew gave us excellent service as we comfortably sat for five hours. Although the seats aren’t extra wide they are comfy and go fully flat. The food was quite good and the crew really excelled which lately is not a given on Hawaiian. The flights were on time. All together a wonderful experience.
AircraftBoeing 717 / A330
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteKoa to Seattle via Honolulu

"isn’t that comfortable"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Sydney. Extra comfort isn’t that comfortable at all. Very limited choice of movies. The little food given was terrible. Staff did not seem very enthused in being there and nobody wanted to help in getting me to my connecting flight being I missed it due to the Hawaiian Airlines flight getting in late. Never again!
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHonolulu to Sydney

"totally unimpressed"

Not Verified | Kona to Honolulu. My flight was cancelled but there was no one providing any information at the airport, no one assisting customers, no announcements of any kind period. We made a flight only from sheer luck. I met a man whose flight was cancelled the night before. His luggage was not returned to him and he had two young children. They spent the night in a small motel and were scheduled for an 11AM flight that was then also cancelled. No one was helping him. I am totally unimpressed with what we call customer service at Hawaiian Airlines.
RouteKona to Honolulu
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Don't bother with the bid up"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Los Angeles. Don't bother with the bid up. Did it but not worth it. Glad I ate before flight. They had 2 meals to choose from tofu and beef stew. The lie flat is great to experience but they have a long way to go with their meals. They are not a food allergy friendly airline. The ipads are great however in coach you have more options of things to watch
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteHonolulu to Los Angeles

"worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Maui. This was the worst experience ever. I will never fly with Hawaiian Airlines again and I think no one else should either. First off the employees are very rude. I was asking one AO some questions and he told me to go ask "questions at another gate". I was on standby all day until the last flight out and for the most part no one said anything throughout the process besides how many other people were on standby. One employee was so loud when speaking to the customers, almost as if she hated dealing with customer's but that's her job. My husband and I are employees of another airline we paid for our tickets but was told by the male employee who previously told me to go away that we were on the bottom of the list because we are employees of another airline and booked through our flight benefits. We were later told by really nice AO's something different. In the past I flew with many airlines and overall this is the worst experience Hawaiian Airlines did not even offer food vouchers to their customers. To whom every is thinking of flying with this company I suggest you think long and hard.
Aircraft717
RouteHonolulu to Maui
Date FlownJuly 2018

"No logic!"

Not Verified | Honolulu to Kahului . We were booked at 9:50pm and were at the gate early. We requested to take the 8:45pm flight instead and we had no checked in luggage. The 8:45pm flight wasn't full but we were denied. They said there are fees associated with the change. Really? I guess there isn't any more bending backwards for customers. No logic!
RouteHonolulu to Kahului