Hawaiian Airlines

"been wonderfully accommodating"

Not Verified | Ticket to fly to Honolulu for daughters college graduation from HPU in March of 2020. With the COVID-19 restrictions sadly we could not go, Hawaiian Airlines has been wonderfully accommodating from giving a voucher at first (to now daughter is being transferred to states, she is a Flight Engineer in the Navy also) now they are refunding a full refund.
RoutePhoenix to Honolulu
Date FlownNovember 2019

"essence of excellent customer service"

(United States Minor Outlying Islands)

Trip Verified | My adult son has cognitive delays, although he looks pretty normal, he gets lost very easily. Like drive to the store, go shopping and then is unable to find the car afterwards lost. So we called Hawaiian airlines to request assistance when he had to find his way through PDX to return to Honolulu. The agent on-line said to ask for a gate pass and then we would be able to accompany him to his gate. When we got to PDX and requested a gate pass we were informed that they were only available to military and children. So a supervisor was called. Mimi was wonderful. She was understanding and offered to escort him to the gate herself after he passed through security. All was well and he was able to get to the gate safely. Big shout out to Mimi at Portland airport. She was the essence of excellent customer service.
RoutePortland to Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Greedy Hawaiian Airlines"

Not Verified | Honolulu to New York. This is a review of the airline policies - booked future travel RT for 2 to NYC in May - everything cancelled due to pandemic. Greedy Hawaiian Airlines is refusing to refund and transfer miles back to mileage account. Offering vouchers good until 12/31/2020. Uncertain whether we can even travel before the end of the year. Swapping spring trip for a winter trip? We are very senior and have to plan our travel carefully - when we are able to travel. Hawaiian Airlines is using the pandemic to make a grab for our comparatively scarce resources because they (think) they can.
RouteHonolulu to New York
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Terrible customer service"

Not Verified | Terrible customer service and lack of policies in place to handle the Covid-19 outbreak. Spent over 3 hours on the phone trying to navigate their travel waiver policy. Ended up having to pay fees that were supposed to be waived. Inflight entertainment was whack. I feel like their policies put myself and my pregnant wife at risk. Won’t ever be flying with Hawaiian again and I’ll pay extra to ensure I will never have to.
RouteSan Diego to Maui
Date FlownMarch 2020

"my preferred airline"

Trip Verified | Hawaiian Airlines is my preferred airline. This was a full flight to Hilo and the female flight attendant was very friendly and served the passengers with a smile. The 2 other male flight attendants were not that friendly and seemed like they did not want to be there. In flight needs to be more friendly .
RouteHonolulu to Hilo
Date FlownMarch 2020

"rude service by one staff"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Flight is okay but very rude service by one staff. I had to check in at the counter in Tokyo and the staff was the rudest I’ve encountered. They helped other customers first and made me wait. There was a look of scorn on the woman’s face. I have no idea why this happened. Japan Airlines has the friendliest staff 99% of the time, so this was a shock. The other staff was kind and helpful.
RouteHonolulu to Kona

"It’s a total ripoff"

Not Verified | Maui to Sydney via Honolulu. Asked for flight from Maui to Sydney on Hawaii Airlines. Booked me on HA (first leg) & Jetstar (second leg). Was led to believe had to fly Jetstar to Sydney ... found out today this is not true ... was lied to by somebody - could be that Flight Hub and/or HA makes more money by booking passengers on Jetstar. When found out there were HA flights to Sydney was told by Flight Hub that could only rebook on another Jetstar flight with still a day layover in Honolulu. To book both legs as HA makes existing tickets NON-refundable (ie, worthless). Have no choice but to rebook since Jetstar luggage restrictions are not medical condition friendly (have lots of bag weight due to medical stuff). Nobody stepped up to fix ... not Flight Hub ... not HA... not Jetstar. We worked our whole lives w/o any long vacations and now that we finally go on one we are sick to our stomachs and it hasn’t even started. Someone should have pointed this out or asked the right questions of us ... they are the travel experts - we are old but inexperienced in this travel stuff (lost about $1000 dollars so we’re not talking about a rebook or cancellation fee. It’s a total ripoff ... these companies should be avoided.
RouteMaui to Sydney via Honolulu
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"charges baggage fees each way"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Oahu. Even if you buy a ticket that says you can change your flight, you will be charged the fare difference and a $200 fare fee. You try calling in and they charge you the fare fee of $200 pus an additional $25 fee plus the difference in the fare. When you ask them to accommodate you, they say it is above their scope. It is a simple change in their system to change the flight and they try to say that it is specific in the ticket upon purchase- it is not. This is my first time flying with them and it will be my last. My boss bought my ticket and it is the only reason I am on Hawaiian Airlines. Hawaiian Airlines charges baggage fees each way - checked bag fees are $30 for the first bag each way (that is nuts) when Southwest you can fly to Hawaii and receive a free bag checked and change your flight without a fee, simply pay the difference of the fare. Lastly, even if I wanted to cancel my flight and I paid for the ticket that had the option to do so, I would only receive a travel credit and upon using that travel credit would be charged a $200 fee. Seriously amazed how this airline is still in business with all these rules. I am so disgusted they charge so many fees for no reason especially when there are so many airline options that people can choose from.
RoutePhoenix to Oahu
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"check you will sit together!"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Honolulu. We are a family of three, my husband and I were travelling back home with our two year old, we checked in four hours before flight time, so you would think you would get good seats, or even sit together? They seat us in different seats (behind each other) but that is not the point, we are a family we don't have to request to sit together? there were three seats and four seats in the center isles and we could have sat there together, this was our worst flight ever, having to move a toddler back and forth between me and my husband was just terrible! I would not recommend, but if you do go as a family or even a couple double check that you will sit together! didn't think I had to do that
RouteAuckland to Honolulu
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"customer service was horrible"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Boston via Honolulu . The entire experience with Hawaiian Airlines was absolutely shocking. The seats we uncomfortable, the entertainment selection was low in comparison to what one would normally expect for long international flights, the ear buds provided didn't fit inside the socket properly which made it very difficult to listen to music or watch a movie without physically holding the cord in place. The aircon was freezing cold and dry, causing my nose to bleed through the flight and for at least 2 days following. When I asked the crew for another blanket because they weren't able to do anything about the temperature, I was told I could only use the one so the entire flight (all 4 flights that I had booked in fact for the one return trip) was miserable. I have never in my life had plane food that was as horrible as the food on Hawaiian and they had no options to give you. I didn't eat any of the food provided. With all of this in mind, it would have been nice to think that the staff may have been a little extra courteous to make up for the short comings of the company, but they seemed disinterested and almost too used to the complaints they were receiving to care any more. When we reached our halfway mark and had to transfer planes, there was next to no direction given on where we were meant to go or where to leave our luggage for the next flight. We ended up running to catch our next flight and were told to leave the luggage on a spot in the middle of the airport without any security whatsoever. After running and just making it to our next gate, we were told that the gate had moved so we, again, ran to the next gate so as not to miss the flight. After finally arriving the the appropriate gate, we found out that our flight had been delayed by several hours. I understand that delays happen, but the way it was handled and with the rest of the flight in mind, it was disappointing. To top it all off, when we finally arrived to our last destination, we were told that our luggage had, of course, been lost. They gave us provisions to pay for basic necessities but could not guarantee we would see our luggage again, which held all of our wedding clothes and decorations inside which, they let us know, would not be replaced if the luggage was not found. This was a horrible way to start what was a long awaited vacation and the start to our wedding. When we tried to speak with them at the end about all of the troubles, they were only willing to offer us a ticket to fly with them again for an amount that wouldn't get us anywhere, we would need to cover the rest of the cost of the ticket and didn't want to hear another word about it. The customer service was horrible along with everything about the flights that we had with them. It was the first and last time we will be booking with them. We are disgusted.
RouteSydney to Boston via Honolulu