Hawaiian Airlines

"it is terrible customer service"

Not Verified | Hawaiian Airlines changed our flight during COVID to have a connection and doubled our total travel time. We intentionally booked with them to avoid connections (we're trying to limit our time in airports to not get COVID). They had an alternative direct flight on the same day that departed from a nearby airport. We called to ask to be switched to this flight, they said if we made that switch we would have to pay a $400 switching fee per person! I spent an hour on the phone with them, and they said that it was within their rights to switch the route on us. Though technically this might be true, it is terrible customer service to refuse an option that would avoid connections as we originally booked (and actually would be better for public health). Really terrible experience - I would recommend that they reconsider their customer service during COVID.
RouteSan Jose to Maui
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Medications taken from checked bag"

Trip Verified | Medications taken from checked bag had no letter for TSA. and if they did take they would have asked me when I landed. This took me some time to make sure I did not mail to myself with other things. I made sure I did not make a mistake. So this was over the 24hr. Required to call police and file. So end the end I am out 3500 in medicine. This is quite upsetting. Do not fly with this Airline.
RouteHonolulu to Phoenix
Date FlownDecember 2020

"been wonderfully accommodating"

Not Verified | Ticket to fly to Honolulu for daughters college graduation from HPU in March of 2020. With the COVID-19 restrictions sadly we could not go, Hawaiian Airlines has been wonderfully accommodating from giving a voucher at first (to now daughter is being transferred to states, she is a Flight Engineer in the Navy also) now they are refunding a full refund.
RoutePhoenix to Honolulu
Date FlownNovember 2019

"essence of excellent customer service"

(United States Minor Outlying Islands)

Trip Verified | My adult son has cognitive delays, although he looks pretty normal, he gets lost very easily. Like drive to the store, go shopping and then is unable to find the car afterwards lost. So we called Hawaiian airlines to request assistance when he had to find his way through PDX to return to Honolulu. The agent on-line said to ask for a gate pass and then we would be able to accompany him to his gate. When we got to PDX and requested a gate pass we were informed that they were only available to military and children. So a supervisor was called. Mimi was wonderful. She was understanding and offered to escort him to the gate herself after he passed through security. All was well and he was able to get to the gate safely. Big shout out to Mimi at Portland airport. She was the essence of excellent customer service.
RoutePortland to Honolulu
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Greedy Hawaiian Airlines"

Not Verified | Honolulu to New York. This is a review of the airline policies - booked future travel RT for 2 to NYC in May - everything cancelled due to pandemic. Greedy Hawaiian Airlines is refusing to refund and transfer miles back to mileage account. Offering vouchers good until 12/31/2020. Uncertain whether we can even travel before the end of the year. Swapping spring trip for a winter trip? We are very senior and have to plan our travel carefully - when we are able to travel. Hawaiian Airlines is using the pandemic to make a grab for our comparatively scarce resources because they (think) they can.
RouteHonolulu to New York
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Terrible customer service"

Not Verified | Terrible customer service and lack of policies in place to handle the Covid-19 outbreak. Spent over 3 hours on the phone trying to navigate their travel waiver policy. Ended up having to pay fees that were supposed to be waived. Inflight entertainment was whack. I feel like their policies put myself and my pregnant wife at risk. Won’t ever be flying with Hawaiian again and I’ll pay extra to ensure I will never have to.
RouteSan Diego to Maui
Date FlownMarch 2020

"my preferred airline"

Trip Verified | Hawaiian Airlines is my preferred airline. This was a full flight to Hilo and the female flight attendant was very friendly and served the passengers with a smile. The 2 other male flight attendants were not that friendly and seemed like they did not want to be there. In flight needs to be more friendly .
RouteHonolulu to Hilo
Date FlownMarch 2020

"rude service by one staff"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Flight is okay but very rude service by one staff. I had to check in at the counter in Tokyo and the staff was the rudest I’ve encountered. They helped other customers first and made me wait. There was a look of scorn on the woman’s face. I have no idea why this happened. Japan Airlines has the friendliest staff 99% of the time, so this was a shock. The other staff was kind and helpful.
RouteHonolulu to Kona

"It’s a total ripoff"

Not Verified | Maui to Sydney via Honolulu. Asked for flight from Maui to Sydney on Hawaii Airlines. Booked me on HA (first leg) & Jetstar (second leg). Was led to believe had to fly Jetstar to Sydney ... found out today this is not true ... was lied to by somebody - could be that Flight Hub and/or HA makes more money by booking passengers on Jetstar. When found out there were HA flights to Sydney was told by Flight Hub that could only rebook on another Jetstar flight with still a day layover in Honolulu. To book both legs as HA makes existing tickets NON-refundable (ie, worthless). Have no choice but to rebook since Jetstar luggage restrictions are not medical condition friendly (have lots of bag weight due to medical stuff). Nobody stepped up to fix ... not Flight Hub ... not HA... not Jetstar. We worked our whole lives w/o any long vacations and now that we finally go on one we are sick to our stomachs and it hasn’t even started. Someone should have pointed this out or asked the right questions of us ... they are the travel experts - we are old but inexperienced in this travel stuff (lost about $1000 dollars so we’re not talking about a rebook or cancellation fee. It’s a total ripoff ... these companies should be avoided.
RouteMaui to Sydney via Honolulu
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"charges baggage fees each way"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Oahu. Even if you buy a ticket that says you can change your flight, you will be charged the fare difference and a $200 fare fee. You try calling in and they charge you the fare fee of $200 pus an additional $25 fee plus the difference in the fare. When you ask them to accommodate you, they say it is above their scope. It is a simple change in their system to change the flight and they try to say that it is specific in the ticket upon purchase- it is not. This is my first time flying with them and it will be my last. My boss bought my ticket and it is the only reason I am on Hawaiian Airlines. Hawaiian Airlines charges baggage fees each way - checked bag fees are $30 for the first bag each way (that is nuts) when Southwest you can fly to Hawaii and receive a free bag checked and change your flight without a fee, simply pay the difference of the fare. Lastly, even if I wanted to cancel my flight and I paid for the ticket that had the option to do so, I would only receive a travel credit and upon using that travel credit would be charged a $200 fee. Seriously amazed how this airline is still in business with all these rules. I am so disgusted they charge so many fees for no reason especially when there are so many airline options that people can choose from.
RoutePhoenix to Oahu