Hawaiian Airlines

"Very disappointed"

Not Verified | Very disappointed with the quality of offerings. No WiFi, only beef option for breakfast going. Returning again no WiFi. We did not get offered water although some passengers did. Had to ask for a soda. Although I made reservations more than a month ago, my wife and I did not have seats together until I went to the ticket counter. The agent booked us through to Phoenix (connecting in LA) he did not have my wife and I together.
RouteLos Angeles to Honolulu
Date FlownMay 2019

"difficulties on the return flight"

Trip Verified | Portland to Honolulu. The flight to HNL was without any hiccups. The flights were on time and the staff was friendly. My difficulties came on the return flight. I had made a separate reservation for my Dad and his dog to fly on the same flight I was booked on, with a stop in Maui. I called reservations to attach the dog to the ticket because we were going to put in on as luggage. I spent an hour on the phone trying to get this complete. The staff on the phone made no indication that a stop in Maui would be any sort of problem. Upon checking in at HNL, it went as smooth as I could have expected. The staff checking us in inquired with someone about what notes needed to be made in order to ensure safe delivery for my Dads pet with the stop in Maui. She was satisfied with the answer, so she sent us along. In Maui, I received a phone call indicating that the plane to Portland could not support the pet, so I'd have to go back to HNL, where I just came from! Because the dog was being handled so much he was getting too anxious, thus we needed to come down to meet him. This was after a gate attendant tried to get us on a flight back to HNL. She was kind enough to offer a food voucher (which I could not use because I spent all of our time in the security line). We settled the dog, waited in the security line, for the second time that day and made the flight just in time. What a waste of time and communication. My Dad with breathing and walking difficulties was being taken from one side of the airport to another, a lot more walking than he anticipated, along with the stress he's feeling in regard to his dog. Back to HNL we go and make it in time for the direct flight to Portland. I was not offered any kind of compensation, acknowledgement of the mistake nor did I feel that anyone cared about the distress this caused during this whole fiasco. I had paid for Extra Comfort seats and for the two different people in Maui was trying to do the rebooking, they did not notice this until I pointed it out, twice. So, had I not mentioned it, there was a possibility that I would have got economy seats and I would have lost that added expense. I could not lose my cool because I didn't want my Dad to stress more. I have never encountered such an experience. I felt like this was something I should have known ahead of time rather than an oversight on the airline's part, not once, but twice. With the rising cost of their airline tickets and all the 'for purchase' items, it's becoming harder and harder to make the trip back to visit the family that I do have left there. The crew on the aeroplane was friendly and checked in often. I have flown a pet before and this horrific visit was a far cry from my first. I was relocating my Dad and this day actually made him question the decision, saying, maybe this wasn't a good idea. I kept my cool and did my best not to show my frustration.
RoutePortland to Honolulu
Date FlownMay 2019

"never use this airline again"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Honolulu. We are from the UK and this was our first time using Hawaiian Airlines and we were very disappointed. We paid 80 Dollars each to upgrade to Premium Seats and although the interior of the plane was light and airy and clean, we thought the service was shocking. The temperature was so cold everyone was putting on sweaters and jackets. When we mentioned how cold it was to the cabin crew they offered us a blanket for 10 Dollars each. We think this was a deliberate ploy in order to sell blankets. No meal was provided just light snacks, fair enough, and we were offered complimentary drinks, my daughter and I both requested Diet Coke and were given one can between us and asked to share it - unbelievable penny pinching. We would never use this airline again
RouteLos Angeles to Honolulu
Date FlownApril 2019

"cabin staff marginally more friendly"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Honolulu to Auckland. Return leg following previous review of outbound leg. This was an improvement on the outward journey. Cabin etc fairly identical though a newer aircraft. Food was better and cabin staff marginally more friendly. IFE was ok and departure/arrival times were as predicted. Beware the 10 min delay to be gassed with insecticide at AKL airport - this appears to becoming a more frequent addendum to the experience and I would stress, this is nothing to do with Hawaiian Airlines - though they could have advised us there would be a delay after landing.
RouteHonolulu to Auckland
Date FlownApril 2019

"negative thing is inflight food"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Honolulu. Hawaiian Airlines A330 was spacious and new aircraft. Seating configuration was 2-4-2 in economy class. Boarding was swift and was before time, we push-backed before the departure time of 9.40pm. Aircraft was clean, spacious and cabin crew was smiling in Hawaiian style. I liked that the flight captain instructed the passengers to keep the window shades down to keep in mind that the other passengers would be sleeping. Generous baggage allowance of 32kgs per checked bag and 2 bags were allowed per person. Both the sectors’ flights departed and arrived before time and the baggage was loaded on the carousel swiftly at Sydney while arriving back into Australia. Check-in staff at Honolulu airport was very helpful. We only carried 23 kgs per bag (had 4 bags each) as the ticket was on Virgin Australia, however the staff said we can carry 32kgs per bag (total 4 bags). Even without requesting, he inserted “interline transfer” tags on all our 4 checked bags and due to this, our bags were the first ones to arrive in Sydney. This erased my worry of time delays as we only had 2hrs and 20 mins at Sydney before our connecting flight to Melbourne. The only negative thing is about inflight food on both Hawaiian Airlines flights. On departing from Sydney, we were given a small snack pack consisting of less than one sandwich, a non-edible chocolate cake piece and few cut fruits. Morning breakfast tray was very small and was equally bad. On the return flight to Sydney, afternoon lunch was boiled noodles with few veges, cut fruits and grated cabbage in vinegar. Just before arrival into Sydney, we were given a very tiny bag consisting of 1 small sandwich and small sized apple. I know that US airlines are not customer friendly, but on these medium to long-haul flights, food trays should be good. Food service was the only part which took down Hawaiian Airlines. Hopefully they improve on this, considering their flight tickets are expensive.
RouteSydney to Honolulu
Date FlownApril 2019

"cant even stretch my legs out"

Trip Verified | Lihue to Oakland. I am extremely annoyed seeing as I paid for an extra comfort seat and I cant even stretch my legs out because of the non-movable wall located in front of my seat. I'm 6 feet tall and have terrible knees. What's the point of paying for comfort if I'm better off just paying for an econ seat.
RouteLihue to Oakland

"Cabin crew not great"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Honolulu. First time in Economy class for a while so possibly a bit biased. The seat adequate and nothing more. Reclined seat in front unexpectedly claustrophobic. Cabin crew not great to be honest, appeared disorganized and not friendly at all until leaving the aircraft. Food was dreadful on any scale for a 9hr flight. Otherwise ok and on time.
RouteAuckland to Honolulu
Date FlownApril 2019

"I would avoid Hawaiian Airlines"

Trip Verified | The new non stop Hawaiian Airlines route between Boston and Honolulu cost me more than $1,900. It started out at the boarding gate with about six employees looking everywhere but at their customers. Only one overwhelmed woman had a clue. It seemed that they were too busy training their other employees. Holding a first class ticket I expected that when it was time to board there would be an announcement . Nope. Instead they called that they were boarding anyone who needed special assistance. Ok. Like people who are elderly or in wheel chairs get to board first....this wasn't the case...They let about 25 kids and their parents board in coach first ..while I waited and waited. I'm sorry but 30 people sitting in coach should not take priority over your first class customers except if someone is actually handicapped. Bad start. After boarding I was offered a drink. The seat was nice although no one greeted me to tell me how the the seat worked. No one greeted me by my name. There are only a handful of first class passengers. Jet Blue Mint first class greets you as soon as you board..by your name and they take the time to show you how your seat works. (Jet Blue Mint cross country is as little as $499.) Next came the flight attendant who requested I order my food for the entire 12 hour flight including what I wanted to drink. Ok but I'm not sure at 9am what I want to drink 10 hours latter. I ordered the "Veggie" option. When the first meal arrived it was a soggy quiche, stale bready croissant, unripe boring melon and get this..a glass of red wine. She put the food down and disappeared. Next came the 13 inch iPad entertainment they passed out. They had a few good movies and I watched The Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody. I was hungry again after the poor quality breakfast and was informed that all they have is potatoes chips and the next meal won't be served until an hour before we arrive in Honolulu about ten hours later. But a flight attendant came thru first class selling box snacks. Really? $1900 dollars one way and they are selling me a snack because I'm still hungry? I passed. A little while latter I walked back to Premium Comfort and asked the flight attendant there (because the first class flight attendants had blocked off their station with a table of potato chips and disappeared for most of the flight) if I could possible get something to eat. Her cold response: "You are in first class go up there." OK so I go back and ask the flight attendant if I can have a snack box. She says "I'm busy now changing over the flight deck, I'll just be a minute". After listening to her and a male crew member laugh and talk for at least 15 minutes I determined that she completely forgot about me. I went up and asked again. She apologized and brought me a complimentary snack box that had a few chips and two bites of hummus in it. I was never offered anything to eat again until about 10 hours later when the main meal arrived. I looked across at the "veggie" meal that my fellow passenger was eating and thought oh boy that looks mushy and I think I ordered the wrong thing. Not to worry because when she brought my food she brought me the wrong meal and I was given a dry semi cold piece of chicken and stale bread with one piece of butter. No one ever came by and asked me if I wanted anything else. I would avoid Hawaiian Airlines in the future. Its only good for the seat. Service dialed in, food poor. First class? Not.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteBoston to Kauai via Honolulu
Date FlownApril 2019

"seats in economy class are really cramped"

Not Verified | I have travelled on most of the major airlines all over the world and by far this is the worst airline I have come across. This was my first trip to Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines. The seats in economy class are really cramped. They just want to make money out of anything and everything. They asked for $10 for a simple blanket. Entertainment system sucks. They ask you to download their stupid entertainment app, which of course, worked only with in-flight wifi. And, lo, you have to buy packages if you want to watch anything. I have never had experience with any airlines so far that asks money for in-flight entertainment. The snacks they offer have no choice. If you ask them to replace the meat item with a veg then you will get a simple answer - this is all we have. C'mmon do you expect anyone that boards your flight, to eat meat? I am not going to fly this airline ever.
RouteOakland to Kona via Kahului
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Constant delays"

Trip Verified | Monopoly at its finest! Constant delays. I flew 6 weeks in a row without leaving on time. Every single time my flight was delayed by at least 30 minutes. Thankfully Southwest is offering Kona to Honolulu flights in May. I'm never flying on Hawaiian Airlines as long as another option is available. Sick and tired of always flying in late to Oahu.
RouteKona to Honolulu