Hawaiian Airlines

"Very disappointed with the treatment we received"

Trip Verified | I’ve flown Hawaiian Airlines for the first time twice now in the last two months. Flew first class both times and I will say the flight attendants and service were wonderful both times. The check-ins not so good! Both airports we ran into extremely rude check-in clerks. At Ontario’s check-in we had a male clerk that was extremely rude. He wouldn’t even look at our paperwork showing we’d been vaccinated and tested negative for COVID-19. Wasn’t about to help us and told us we’d have to get out of line to download our results even though one of our results had been downloaded. Isn’t his job to help? On the way back at Honolulu airport the clerk looked at us like she had doubts we were in first class even after showing her our boarding passes. Had the nerve to asked us twice and looked down her nose at us. I’m not sure what the problem is with their customer service, but they definitely need to work on it. I’ve worked with the public for over 45 years and know this is not how you treat your customers. Very disappointed with the treatment we received from them at their check-in counters.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteOntario, CA to Honolulu, HA
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Do not book on this airline"

Not Verified | We had to cancel our trip to our timeshare due to Covid restrictions (pretty much wear a mask everywhere and stay in your room). Governments new mandate 8/21. Hawaiian said due to Covid cancellations they will hold your ticket for your next trip. What they don’t tell you, is that they only waive the change fee, and you have to rebook within one year of your original booking date. In my case that was March 1, 2021. (With our timeshare we are only allowed to book 1 year in advance) Also, they will collect any additional fees if there is a change in your ticket cost. No accommodating for Covid/Government hotel/timeshares etc shut downs for restrictions. Do not book on this airline. I’m now out $500.
RouteSeattle to Oahu
Date FlownAugust 2021

"how bad this experience was"

Trip Verified | We arrived at the airport in Maui 4 hours before our flight was scheduled to depart to Oakland. It looked like they decided to have every flight for the day leaving all within a 2 hour window due to the extreme amount of people trying to check in. It took over 1 hour just to have 1 bag scanned through to check for fruit / agricultural items. Then we sat in line for 2 hours just to check in one bag. This line moved at a snails pace and only had 2 employees checking baggage in. I have never seen such a slow process in my life. It literally took around 10 minutes per person. There was no sense of urgency from any of the staff at any time. The lines grew so large that they stacked up down the street. I have 3 small children who had to stand in the heat the whole time.. Then we had to stand in another line to go through security. There must have been 500 people wrapped around the building. I had to beg another family to let us cut in line because our flight was about to leave and would have had to stand in line for at least another 3 hours. We somehow made it 5 minutes before boarding. The worst part of the day was the male flight attendant (Dark spiked hair, glasses, approximately 35-40). He must have been having a bad day because his customer service was terrible. He was rude, grumpy, pushy, conttoling, and had a poor attitude. He constantly baggered people about wearing their masks even though this was during the time they kept serving food and drinks. What are we supposed to do? Cut a hole in the mask for a straw? Overall just not the kind of person I would expect to be a flight attendant. I could tell that the other female staff members did not like working with him. Doesn't seem like someone that should be working in customer service. The flight from Oakland to Maui was wonderful. I work in customer service and depend financially on receiving good surveys. This is actually the first time I have written a negative review on anything online in my entire life, I never complain unless in person. So that should tell you how bad this experience was.
RouteMaui to Oakland
Date FlownAugust 2021

"procedure to again deplane us"

Trip Verified | Our 2 year old baby was required to wear a mark during the boarding of our flight from Honolulu to Boston. We, the parents, fully cooperated with the personal by putting on his mask, but he refused to use the mask because he was hungry and drinking his bottle in this moment. We made clear to the staff that he will be wearing his mark as soon as his finish his bottle but even though we were asked to deplane and stay in Honolulu at our own expenses. Our flight was rebooked to the next day. During the check-in and boarding time, we were given a special treatment by not only being allowed to do online check-in but also by being closely checked by the staff if our son was wearing the mask. As the feeding time of our son mashed with the boarding time, we faced a same situation as the day before. Our son woke up asking for his baby bottle. We gave the bottle already sat in the airplane. It resulted in a clear procedure to again deplane us (as we were threated).
RouteHonolulu to Boston
Date FlownJuly 2021

"We ended up having to buy three new tickets on United Airlines"

Trip Verified | Never again! We arrived at the airport at 12pm for our 2pm flight out of OGG. Check-in had already been done the day before on the HA app and we also paid $30 for a checked bag. The situation at the airport was complete chaos. Huge lines apparently just for bag drop off. Self check-in kiosks were not working properly and not printing out bag tags. We ended up having to wait on one of those lines. But before that (and several times more during our wait) we talked with someone from the HA staff and explained our situation: I have a heart condition and need to be medicated every day. Losing our flight (even though we arrived at the airport 2 hours in advance) could have drastic consequences. The staff person guaranteed us that we would board the plane and that the flight would wait for us if needed. Again, we were guaranteed multiple times that the flight would not depart without us. At 1.50pm we finally reached one of the bag drop off desks… but the HA assistant suddenly left the desk and said she couldn’t help us. No one apparently was available to help us so we waited a few minutes until finally we went to another line and asked to be helped - it was 1.55pm. When we were about to check our bag (which had been already paid for) the new HA assistant told us that the boarding for our flight was already closed and we couldn’t board. I explained my health condition and what we had been told before by other HA staff - that the plane would wait for late passengers due to the chaotic situation at the airport. Unfortunately, the HA people were still not able to let us board our flight and, even worse, were not interested at all in offering any kind of alternative to help us go to San Jose (or San Francisco) on the same day. Finally a "manager" came to help us but, of course, she was also completely useless. Her excuse was that all passengers are advised to arrive 3 hours before their flight, for a domestic flight! She said everyone received an email with this notification. Obviously, we didn't get anything remotely similar to it. At the end, she apparently was got tired of dealing with an upset customer and decided to ask for security to get us removed. Right. We ended up having to buy three new tickets on United Airlines for that night - in other words, we paid an $1k+ more, waited in OGG for 7 hours and arrived home one day after. I lost one cycle of my medication - hopefully there won’t be other serious consequences. The lack of concern, ridiculous handling of bag drops at the airport and total misinformation by the HA staff are all reasons for our disappointment. Because of HA, we had to buy three new tickets on a different airline.
RouteKahului to San Jose
Date FlownJuly 2021

"worst airline I've ever flown on"

Trip Verified | Avoid at all costs! After boarding we were informed that there was a problem with engine. Spent 2 hours inside the plane and were deboarded. Right after that it was announcement about 14,5 hours delay! Finally around midnight we took off. The flight attendants and gate agents were very rude. It was very cold inside the plane. I was lucky to get a blanket, but my husband was not. When he asked for the blanket, the flight attendant offered him to purchase, no free blanket any more! It was 11 hours of torture, literally. The food was not edible. I am not a picky eater, but what they served was not a food, it was a garbage. The worst airline I've ever flown on. Never again.
RouteBoston to Honolulu

"Super disappointing"

Trip Verified | I had booked about 2 months in advance, then three weeks before my flight I was double checking travel times and noticed that my connecting flight in LA had changed and was no longer possible to connect. I called in and was told that a change had been made to my flight, that there was no alternative flight I could be booked on and my only option was a refund. I wondered "where was the call when you changed the flight?" If I hadn't called in I could have shown up in LA with no flight to Hawaii. And there was no “we're sorry for the inconvenience please enjoy______” (fill in the blank - maybe some free air miles or something? I've been a Hawaiian air miles member for over 10 years). The impression the customer service rep gave me was that she was just waiting for me to accept the refund so she could say her rehearsed "I do really apologize is there anything else I can assist you with?" line. The refund takes 7-10 business days so I couldn't even use my money to book a replacement ticket with another airline. Super disappointing.
RouteBozeman to Kahului via Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2021

"should have never booked with them"

Not Verified | I have to change my flight dates because of a situation at work. No compassion or understanding or willing to work with their customers. Which I think they should appreciate given that the pandemic happened and airlines are hurting. I said I was willing to pay the difference to change the dates and all they want to do is say no and not work with someone in a tough situation. Even tried to upgrade. This is whole thing ridiculous and I should have never booked with them. They are forcing someone to spend more money to because they are greedy for not being able to make money last year. This is a scam and an insult.
Date FlownJune 2021

"never fly with them for future trips"

Trip Verified | We were halfway to Vegas when the captain announced that we were flying back to Honolulu due to a medical emergency. First, already annoyed that they couldn't just divert to LAX, which was an hour away, opposed to HNL, 2.5 hours flying back. When we arrive back in HNL, we're told to deboard so the passenger can be cared for and the plane can be refueled/cleaned. We were given an estimate of an hour. Well it is now 2 hours and we should have already re-departed. Now there has been an "incident on the jet bridge" and we are still waiting to board. So in my opinion a re-route back to our original destination, a 7 hour delay, rude and grumpy flight attendants and gate agents, and no compensation or meal vouchers offered, are all valid reasons qualifying for a 1-Star review and I will never fly with them for future trips.
RouteHonolulu to Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2021

"wouldn’t recommend them to anyone"

Trip Verified | I recommend anyone even thinking about flying on Hawaiian airlines please don’t make my mistake. I’ve seen them harass military members and just because I was military they literally told me that I’m not welcome and cancelled my flight. I did get a creditable refund but even trying to get that utilized is ridiculous. They are unprofessional and wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. I’ve flown on virtually all airline companies and this is by far the worst. Please spend an additional $20-$50 and avoid the hassle.
RouteKona to Los Angeles