Hawaiian Airlines

"unprofessional and unnecessary behavior"

Trip Verified | This was first time flying with Hawaiian airlines. We had booked our ticket from Delta to go to Hawaii. Coming back we had use Hawaiian airlines to go to one island to another and connect to Lax. The gate agent was extremely rude to me and my kids. We were just standing and waiting for boarding on side and not in anyone’s way. She told us to go site down, i reply saying we are not in anyone’s way. She then said they will be calling the pre boarding and first class first. When I told her I am first class, she didn’t believe me and took the boarding pass out of d my hand to confirm. Once she confirmed she left us alone but this was unprofessional and unnecessary behavior on her side.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteKahului to Honolulu
Date FlownJune 2023

"exceptional service"

Trip Verified | Flew many times with Hawaiian between the islands and want to compliment the airline on exceptional service during at least 5 flights in May 2023. All the staff are genuinely customer focused, friendly, cheerful and enthusiastic about helping travelers. All staff members from Check in, Baggage Handling, Departure Lounges and Flight Attendants were always smiling, welcoming and pleasant to deal with. Such a refreshing change from most major airlines who can learn a lot from Hawaiian. They even give you a free welcome drink of juice or water! True Hawaiian hospitality - genuine and sincere. Mahalo Lui Noa Hawaiian and keep up the fantastic service. We will be back!
AircraftBoeing
RouteHilo to Kahului via Honolulu
Date FlownMay 2023

"really carry the spirit of Aloha"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Hawaiian Airlines is really the airline to fly with between the Hawaiian islands. There was a hiccup on my experience but it was handled very well. Terminal 1 in Honolulu had been completely refurbished from the last time I had visited 10 years ago, and feels very modern, airy and welcoming, but less "island-style" - simple and relaxing, which is what the other airports around Hawaii feel like. Security took less than five minutes, and there was plenty of seating at our gate. I had two trips with Hawaiian, from Honolulu to Lihue/Kauai and Honolulu to Kahului/Maui. Both these flights are what I would describe as "up and down" flights, literally 3 minutes after we reached cruising altitude we already started our descent. One of the funniest things that I realised was that on both trips, the flights out of Honolulu was operated by the same aircraft (N483HA) and left from the same gate A19. When I asked the gate agent on my second trip about the aircraft's registration, I told her "I flew this exact plane and left from this exact gate to Kauai two months ago!" She was extremely nice and joked that I should buy it, since it was "my plane." That really made my day. Onboard, even though these aircraft are around 20 years old, they did not feel too old, and the 2-3 seating configuration is great for couples and families. I definitely recommend choosing an A window seat when departing from Honolulu to get a great view of Waikiki beach. The seats themselves actually don't recline and have a small drinks tray - no way you could get any work on your laptop done. Considering the longest flights these planes do are 45 minutes, I don't see any issue with the bus-like seats. The surprising thing is that during these "up and down" flights, the flight attendants still come round and offer passengers water, juice or coffee, the latter only on morning flights. Even with the limited service due to the short flight time, I still had great interactions with the flight attendants. The return from Kahului/Maui was a bit of an issue, where all the flights that day got delayed due to a storm in Honolulu. I went to the check in counter to ask if they could rebook me onto an earlier flight, and I was rebooked at no extra charge. Hawaiian Airlines' operation has a lot of quick turnarounds giving very little leeway for delays, the knock on effects went on for hours. However given how quickly the agent was able to rebook me onto an earlier flight (and luckily I didn't end up in a middle seat) it shows that they can handle a crisis very well. Indeed the flight they had rebooked me onto was still delayed, but it meant I got into Honolulu an hour earlier than if I was still on my original flight. Overall, Hawaiian certainly excels in terms of its product, and beats other US regional carriers by miles. They really carry the spirit of Aloha onboard and I would definitely choose them over Southwest when flying Inter-Island, except if I needed to check any luggage.
RouteHonolulu to Kahului
Date FlownApril 2023

"structured incompetence"

Trip Verified | Where to begin? First leg of flight initially delayed. That is not my complaint. Came in after supposed departure of connecting flight. Was told by gate agent to stand in line that would take at least an hour, while the connecting flight was still boarding but not told that! Found out by going to the gate instead of waiting in line. They let me on. All my bags did not make it however. Filed a claim at airport on Maui. Was provided a number that doesn't work. Still trying to reach a human and when I do they pass me off to another number that starts with thank you for your patience, but we are helping others and then plays music that is from WW2 cabaret with no response while asking me if I would like to participate in a survey after they don't help me. So here I am with 3 lost bags, no one to help track it down and no one at that airline is hired to care. It is structured incompetence, insensitive employees on an airline that has a monopoly on this island for most inter-island travel. Not sure what to do next as no human ever responds on their phone line, which is recorded for training persons. My best guess is they immediately fire anyone who actually helps! Poor people of Hawaii, so little choice in flying one or 2 islands over.
RouteLihue to Kahului via Honolulu
Date FlownMay 2023

"The worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Many flights were cancelled and delayed for hours without the clear communication. Info on airline website and Kona airport website was wrong. No updated info was provided. People has been waiting at gates for 5-10 hours. The worst experience ever. The board of airline should resign. I give 1 score because of employees at airline who have worked hard to solve the problems. Otherwise zero to the board of airline
RouteKona to Honolulu
Date FlownMay 2023

"Extremely dissatisfied and disappointed"

Trip Verified | This is by far one of the worst experiences ever. Flight from Maui to LAX was scheduled at 12:40pm. When we arrived at the gate, we were told it was delayed. Then, we were moved to another gate. No one ever provided updates. We sat for hours to later find out the flight was canceled. No one from the airline came out to direct the passengers to next steps. Line for ticketing did not move. Luggage did not come out until 5 hours after the flight had been scheduled to take off. I had to book my own flight out for the next day and book a hotel, totalling $1,000+ for 3 people. This is an additional significant expense and hardship for my family. Who knows if and when I will ever be reimbursed. This airline needs to get it together and have a process for communicating to passengers what the process is in these situations. Extremely dissatisfied and disappointed. This was my first flight ever to Maui and first flight with Hawaiian and I'm not sure I'll use this airline ever again.
RouteKahului to Los Angeles
Date FlownMay 2023

"giving such a terrible experience"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Have been delayed over 5 hours due to stupid failure of system update at 9am. After the flight arrived then it said pilots are timeout and no pilots are coming. Messy communication and information at the airport No compensation, no food or coupon offered, no update of latest departure time. People are just unlimitedly waiting for nothing. It’s my first time to Hawaii from Asia. This airline messes up my schedule and ruins my trip. Thank you to Hawaii airline giving such a terrible experience.
RouteHonolulu to Hilo
Date FlownMay 2023

"We've been sitting for 85 minutes"

Trip Verified | Just wanted to go from Hilo to Honolulu. Entire Hawaiian Airlines computer system went down, all flights grounded. After 3 hours they get computer system back online and we board our plane. Probably 20 open seats on our flight. They will not let us take off until every seat filled. Okay, no biggie, American Airlines can fill standby passengers instantly. Not Hawaiian Airlines, it's taken 5 to 10 minutes per standby passenger. We've been sitting for 85 minutes while I wrote this review filling standby passengers one by one and we still have more seats to fill. At this point I will miss my next reservation which isn't Hawaiian Airlines so they don't care.
RouteHilo to Honolulu
Date FlownMay 2023

"very disappointed in the rude staff"

Trip Verified | First flight in the morning was delayed 30 minutes now we will miss our connector flight. I am flying for work on this trip and am very disappointed in the rude staff and lack of customer service. Traveled with my wife 2 months ago and Hawaiian Airlines decided to move my flight up 2 hours earlier without notifying us. 20 people missed that flight due to the lack of communication from Hawaiian. We had to pay 600.00 to buy tickets on another carrier to get back home. I was also bumped on a flight last year in Seattle with Hawaiian, we have yet to get reimbursed for that transaction from Hawaiian Airlines. This is the worst experience I have ever seen from a airline company. Won’t fly with them again.
RouteKailua-Kona to Honolulu
Date FlownMarch 2023

"felt so helpless and disregarded"

Not Verified | The flight was a connecting flight to Seattle, WA from Honolulu HNL connecting in Maui OGG. The Maui to Seattle flight was delayed by over 4 hours and we were not informed or notified in any manner. We had arrived from Honolulu and were waiting by the gate when we noticed the departure time change. I was traveling with my wife and 9 month old son and we did not expect this and didn't know what to do since this was our first time travelling with him. My wife went to inquire about the situation and was told by the manager/chief at the gate desk and they said "there is nothing we can do". She was worried because we did not have any baby food left or formula and it was frustrating. I went to speak to the same manager/chief and ask if we could get any assistance because we would have to sit in an airport with an infant for an additional 4 hours on top of the initial 2 hour of our flight. While I was talking to them they called security and threatened to get us thrown out of the airport because manager said she will not speak to us because "we could not understand even is she tried to explain it" I believe she was trying to imply we were incapable of understanding her and we need to move out of the way so she can help other customers. Shas just gotten another frustrated customer who was yelling and screaming at her and being hysterical but she gave her a completely different treatment and gave her another flight since she was from there and decided to flight out another time. We stood back and record while the security arrived and started questioning us. This was so frightening for us. We didnt know what was going to happen to us. Were we going to get arrested? were they going to take out infant son from us? what were we going to do in a place that is foreign to us and we did not know anyone there so thats where we were recording for our own safety. We decided to wait it out because it felt like the more inquiries or help we requested it was met with aggression and complete disregard of our infant child. We swore never to travel there ever again because we have never felt so helpless and disregarded and treated so poorly compared to others.
RouteHonolulu to Seattle via Maui