Hawaiian Airlines

"cabin staff were amazing"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Phoenix. I have flown Hawaiian severs times within the Islands and several times to the US mainland and this experience to Phoenix was consistent with those flights: amazing cabin crew and onboard food, with poor ground service and management choices that make Hawaiian not a premium airline which is unfortunate for the excellent cabin staff. When compared to southwest, Hawaiian charges for checked bags and even enforces a 50 dollar fee for business class to the mainland for baggage above 50 pounds when both American, Delta, and United check 70 pound baggage in business. The ground staff seemed angry at the passengers and were not helpful. However they did seem understaffed and had to deal with many passengers who were confused of where to go so this was probably more on management creating their poor service. The lounge was basic. On-board, the seats looked modern and sleek but lacked padding and were not very comfortable. Better than a recliner on a 737 to and from Hawaii but not as comfortable as united 777’s to Hawaii (although it does have the advantage of not sitting 4 in the middle like united a domestic 777). The cabin staff were amazing. They addressed every passenger by name and were fantastic. They also thanked each individual passenger for flying with them before landing. The food was very good. Average entertainment delivered through an IPad. Summary of what was good: great cabin crew and food. Average: the seats and entertainment. Poor: ground service and lounge. Hawaiian does not compete with LCCs to Hawaii and because of small things isn’t a premium airline like what they want to market themselves because of some management choices. Can’t call United, Delta, or American “premium” airlines either but are better because of small things in business class so long as you with the draw and get a good flight crew with them.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteHonolulu to Phoenix

Hawaiian Airlines customer review

Trip Verified | My flight was from Seattle to Maui to Honolulu to Auckland. I had only one reference number for the tickets. I’m planning to stay in the airport overnight as I had a long layover. Weeks prior to my flights I talked and emailed the customer service in their website. I asked them where I will claim my 2 checked in baggage. They all said in my final destination which is NZ. To my surprise they check out my bags in Honolulu and I can’t come back inside the airport coz they said my flight is on the next day. I almost didn’t have place to stay that night carrying my suitcases because hotels cost a big amount and mostly fully booked. Most of their employees I encountered were rude, arrogant and unprofessional. They even told me that their customer service doesn’t use emails. I told them I have communication thru email from their website and I called them for confirmation. One more thing, my flight was not comfortable. The plane is to cold. You need to buy a $10 blanket. Never again..
RouteSeattle to Auckland via Honolulu
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"never fly another airline"

Trip Verified | Maui to Seattle. We will never fly another airline to Hawaii. I was not seated in first class but it sure felt like I was. Nicki made sure I had everything I needed as well as got me hot water, cup of noodles and my free mai tai. Asked us how we were and was so pleasant.
RouteMaui to Seattle

"characteristics of aloofness"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Honolulu. I've flown Hawaiian Airlines twice, once each domestically and internationally. Never again, if I can help it. The queue times at the gate aren't particularly long, as the flights are boarded efficiently. The meals are fine, in my experience. The entertainment options have some interesting public interest sort of programs about Hawaiian life and culture. But the staff, whether at check-in, the gate or on the plane, work efficiently, they're robotic. Meaning, they seem to exude the characteristics of aloofness and just being miserable. They're doing their jobs obligatorily, so obviously, and they just don't seem to enjoy serving customers. I don't have an explanation as to why, as they're shuttling passengers to and from paradise. Maybe Hawaiian doesn't treat their staff well?
RouteAuckland to Honolulu
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"the inflight service is very basic"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Sydney with Hawaiian Airlines. We purchased seats in the quiet comfort row as I was travelling with my wife and 2 children aged 5 and 1 to ensure we had space to let them sleep and allowed for more leg room. Boarding was smooth and staff friendly. However the inflight service is very basic. The major problem is the inflight service. They serve a meal as you reach cruising altitude and then another just before landing. This leaves around 6 hours of no food or refreshments or something to break up the 10 hour flight. They do offer additional food to be bought which a lot of passengers were taking up due to the time gaps between meals. This was a day flight so not alot of people were sleeping. The staff occasionally walk around to offer water but it was up to individuals to be proactive if they wanted anything more. Given the time between meals, it would be good to see them bring drink options through the aisles as the attendants mainly were sitting around chatting (at least I perceived this). When you compare to other airlines, it just appears unprofessional. The staff were pleasant and friendly but it was just the level of service I would say is sub par. Meals were very ordinary and there is no choice of meal either so be prepared to eat whatever they have, ie no vegetarian or kids meals etc. The big appeal was baggage limit i.e 2 X 32kg checked luggage and the extra comfort, you really do get extra leg room. They provided an amenity kit but I didn't have.much use for it. Inflight entertainment was ok but not a large depth of films/shows considering its 10 hrs there and 10 hrs back.
RouteHonolulu to Sydney

"a terrible experience"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Kona. We planned a Hawaiian trip a couple of weeks before the Christmas holidays. We booked Hawaiian Airlines through a third party website, paying a premium price for the tickets as a result. We did not realize that it was main cabin basic - which the cheapest class on the fare list. We had a terrible experience with the onward and the return journey. It seems that the airline has no regard for customers that have this class of tickets. They treat them as if they are doing them a favor and are very rude. They treat you as a zone 6 - which is the last to board. During our onward journey, they told us that we cannot carry our cabin bags as the flight was full. We were ok to check-in all of the cabin bags except one as it had costly camera equipment. The ‘agent’ as they call them was so arrogant that she told that she would re-book us on another flight if we were not ready to check-in that bag too. I then asked what if the equipment gets damaged, she was haughty and said we could claim it later! I am astonished by the disregard she had for customers. We had an equally bad experience on our return journey too. The airline does not allow you to choose seats during check-in because of the class. I had injured my leg and needed assistance, so we called in the customer service to request them to seat us together. They told us that they would service the request at the gate. At the gate, the agent again said he would process our request when it comes, and it was placed last (mostly because of the fare class). He then said that by the time he got to the request, all the seats were taken and could give both aisle seats. Once we boarded, another agent came and made us change our seats, seating us far apart in spite of telling her my situation. She also was haughty and said to us that we were not assigned seats in the first place! We wished we had never flown this airline. The agents have an attitude towards so-called `cheap` ticket class - I wonder why do they even have it in the first place if they loathe them. I will never again fly with this airline.
RouteSan Francisco to Kona
Date FlownDecember 2019

"asked me to pay the NZeTA "

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Auckland in May 2019. Traumatic experience with Hawaiian airline. At the time of Check in they asked me to pay the NZeTA of USD12 but I was in possession of a working holiday visa to New Zealand that allowed me to be free of NZeTA. I showed them on the website of New Zealand government that I was exempted in case of possession of the Working Holiday Visa. He did not want to hear me telling me to pay not to talk. In Auckland I explained my situation, what happened in Hawaii with them to New Zealand immigration, they were surprised.
RouteHonolulu to Auckland
Date FlownDecember 2019

"This is total rubbish and disgusting"

Not Verified | Honolulu to Seattle. I will never fly Hawaiian Airlines nor I will recommend anyone to fly this Airline. We have a little one under 2 and we called Hawaiian Airlines customers service to confirm. During that time the customer service agent assigned our seat in the middle row. I asked specifically to have a window or aisle seat. When we boarded we realized the customer the service agent assigned us in the middle. The flight was full so the gate agent couldn't change it either. This is total rubbish and disgusting. Never again I will fly Hawaiian Airlines.
RouteHonolulu to Seattle
Date FlownNovember 2019

"thumbs down to Hawaiian Airlines"

Trip Verified | Hawaiian Airlines is awful! Most of their US based locations do not have a club lounge and when you arrive to Honolulu to transfer to another flight they do not honor your first class upgrade. Also, the boarding process is awful. You pay more but you board after about 25 to 50 people. So, save your money and do not book with Hawaiian Airlines! You get treated way better in other airlines. The staff at the lounge in Honolulu was extremely rude. So, thumbs down to Hawaiian Airlines.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RoutePhoenix to Honolulu
Date FlownOctober 2019

"it’s always been great before today"

Not Verified | Two of us bought round trip tickets for Oahu with the same confirmation number. Flew from Maui to Honolulu at 6.10 am. Return was for 6.30 pm. Mid trip, Hawaiian Airlines changed my confirmation number mid trip! I could check in my boyfriend but not me. Then Hawaiian Airlines gave me attitude after talking to two reps. All they could do was try (3 times) looking for my confirmation number. I had to spell it out about 6 times. Then they couldn’t even check me in. Said I had to go back online. That is the worst process and stupidest customer service I’ve ever had. I have flown Hawaiian Airlines several times, and it’s always been great before today.
RouteHonolulu to Maui