Hawaiian Airlines

"Hawaiian Airlines is the absolute worst"

Trip Verified | Avoid at all costs! This airline will change your flight time and then force you to take the flight or forfeit the flight cost, even if you can’t make the new flight time! This airlines is a scam! I’ve been to 45 countries and flown dozens of airlines and Hawaiian Airlines is the absolute worst. Pay the extra money to fly another airline so this doesn’t happen to you!
RouteHonolulu to San Diego
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"lie about their benefits"

Trip Verified | I am a Pualani Platinum passenger (I fly every week) on Hawaiian Airlines. This airline, who market themselves as selling the warmth of the Hawaiian Islands is actually a heartless, cut throat business which in practice can care less about their customers. They literally lie about their benefits (such as being able to upgrade on line if seats are available in first class within 24 of your flight). Once I was flying and an engine caught fire. We had to make an emergency landing and stay in Maui for hours. Hawaiian issued $50.00 credits to the passengers on board. When I tried to use it the credit it was denied. The culture is one of profit only, customers. I've had enough and will now fly Southwest.
RouteHonolulu to Kona
Date FlownMay 2021

"Since when did Hawaiian start lacking this much?"

Not Verified | This was not a good flight. First of all they didn't have earphones for the passengers to watch their inflight movies. Or they ran out. Whatever the case, how are you a major airline and not have what is needed for the flight? Then it was cold, but guess what. They had no blankets! Come on now really?! Since when did Hawaiian start lacking this much? They finally served a sandwich for the 5.5 hour flight. A sandwich with lettuce, tomato and no meat. They need to go back to the days when they actually tried. Because this was not the best experience for my wife and I.
RouteLos Angeles to Honolulu
Date FlownMay 2021

"worst trip we have had on Hawaiian"

Not Verified | Really the worst trip we have had on Hawaiian. Perhaps Covid was part of the problem, but the cabin crew was not concerned with the passengers. Seemed almost irritated that we were there. We had pre ordered a special meal. No explanation and no special meal, either. Maybe things will change after COVID, but right now we would not fly Hawaiian again.
RouteHonolulu to Seattle
Date FlownApril 2021

"disgusting food served"

Not Verified | I have flown Hawaiian Air a number of times over the years and considered them top notch in all categories. My recent flight was different. I still admire Hawaiian’s efficiency and courtesy, but the food is a different story. I realize the COVID-19 era is challenging, but there is no excuse for the utterly disgusting food served. On the flight to Honolulu from Los Angeles, the meal was a warmed sandwich: a huge grinder bun with some cheese slopped on it and a sun dried piece of tomato. It was inedible. On the flight home, they served what was called a chicken sandwich. It was another bun with bits of chicken in a sauce of some kind. My husband, who will eat anything, took one bite and declared it “nasty,” I looked at what was inside and threw it away. There has to be some acceptable alternatives. Try harder!
RouteLos Angeles to Lihue
Date FlownApril 2021

"They simply refused to honor 3 of the 4 vouchers"

Not Verified | My wife and I booked our honeymoon through Hawaiian Airlines, through a third party. Due to covid we were unable to travel and had to cancel our flight. When contacting the third party, they said I should cancel the flights through Hawaiian Airlines. We called Hawaiian Airlines, who said we couldn't be refunded, but offered vouchers for a later trip. I accepted the vouchers. When I called Hawaiian Airlines to rebook the flights, they said that 3 of the 4 vouchers had been refunded. I received no refund. When I asked who authorized the refund they would not tell me. When I asked why they would give me vouchers and then cancel them, they refused to answer. When I asked why only 3 of the 4 were "refunded" they also refused to answer. They simply refused to honor 3 of the 4 vouchers totaling $1321.85. Don't fly with them, they will steal your money.
RouteNew York JFK to Kahului
Date FlownJuly 2020

"now been changed to a connecting flight"

Not Verified | My original flight was a direct flight from Las Vegas to Maui, my flight has now been changed to a connecting flight in HNL without my choice. When I originally purchased the direct flight, it did cost more than the connecting flights that I am now on. I was willing to pay more for a direct flight due to obvious convenience and an earlier arrival time. I strongly believed that I should have been compensated for the following inconveniences: 1. The connecting flights are cheaper, and just on principle, we should receive the difference. 2. My experience dealing with the above changes: a. I get the change email, I try to contact via text, wait 2 hours for someone to text me back, once they do, I ask my questions, with hardly any answers, other than “due to current demands the direct flight is gone till May.” b. Due to the lack of help via text I decided it would be better to call someone. I waited on hold for another 75 minutes. I got someone nice enough to answer my questions and send me to this form. I filled out the form once, it did not send and erased what I originally put in this box plus a ticket number that I now have forgotten and cannot look up due to my flight change. c. All this just to find out that you choose my flight for me and even if I did have a choice, and I found something cheaper, such as the day before or after, you wouldn't automatically refund the difference!? 3. Inconvenience the actual flight change inflicts upon us. a. The original flight got us to Maui at 9:30 AM, new flight arrival is 3:30 PM, which takes away 6 hours of our vacation. b. The rental car that has already been booked now needs to be changed and may incur a fee. c. An early check-in at our hotel that we paid extra for, which we will not be refunded for. d. The added stress of finding a connected flight Customer service did nothing when I reached out to them about this, I also cc'd the CEO and he had no response as well.
RouteLas Vegas to Maui
Date FlownMarch 2021

"it is terrible customer service"

Not Verified | Hawaiian Airlines changed our flight during COVID to have a connection and doubled our total travel time. We intentionally booked with them to avoid connections (we're trying to limit our time in airports to not get COVID). They had an alternative direct flight on the same day that departed from a nearby airport. We called to ask to be switched to this flight, they said if we made that switch we would have to pay a $400 switching fee per person! I spent an hour on the phone with them, and they said that it was within their rights to switch the route on us. Though technically this might be true, it is terrible customer service to refuse an option that would avoid connections as we originally booked (and actually would be better for public health). Really terrible experience - I would recommend that they reconsider their customer service during COVID.
RouteSan Jose to Maui
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Medications taken from checked bag"

Trip Verified | Medications taken from checked bag had no letter for TSA. and if they did take they would have asked me when I landed. This took me some time to make sure I did not mail to myself with other things. I made sure I did not make a mistake. So this was over the 24hr. Required to call police and file. So end the end I am out 3500 in medicine. This is quite upsetting. Do not fly with this Airline.
RouteHonolulu to Phoenix
Date FlownDecember 2020

"been wonderfully accommodating"

Not Verified | Ticket to fly to Honolulu for daughters college graduation from HPU in March of 2020. With the COVID-19 restrictions sadly we could not go, Hawaiian Airlines has been wonderfully accommodating from giving a voucher at first (to now daughter is being transferred to states, she is a Flight Engineer in the Navy also) now they are refunding a full refund.
RoutePhoenix to Honolulu