Hawaiian Airlines

"Very good experience"

Not Verified | Very good experience. Except for the 2-2-2 configuration this was a world class business class trip. Good food, drinks and friendly staff. On time departure and early arrival. Only minuses, no wi fi and limited choice of entertainment. Aircraft was old but well maintained.
RouteHonolulu to Seoul
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"You could not pay me to take one of their flights"

Not Verified | I have been traveling for 30 years and can't express with words just how bad my experiences with Hawaiian Airlines have been. My wife and I have traveled to Hawaii every January for the past 15 years and every year I contemplate hiring a boat to take me from island to island rather than dealing with this lousy airline. My most recent experience, I had booked two one-way tickets (Maui - Kona and Kona - Honolulu). My plans changed and I only needed the Kona to Honolulu portion of the trip. Rather than being able to make this change online I used chat, text and three phone calls. After more than 2 hours, I was told by the agent that I had to cancel this ticket and then rebook it completely. I said, ok and asked the agent to rebook the flight for me. I was then told that they couldn't rebook it, but I had to use the credit voucher online. After waiting 48 hours, and no credit voucher appearing in email, I logged in and tried to find the credit. Another two hours of waiting for a chat agent, only to be told that I couldn't book this online and had to speak with an agent. Ok, I call the number....90 minutes later, I'm told that "because I called an agent, they were going to charge me $25 for each ticket for a processing fee." So, my ticket that had a value of $116 per person, and I was trying to rebook a new ticket for $39, and I was going to immediately lose the remaining value of the credit, was really only saving me $14 off of just abandoning the original ticket and rebooking online. I've never heard of anything so ridiculous in all my years of traveling. Unfortunately, they have a monopoly when it comes to inter-island travel so you have to use them which I guess is why they can get away with providing such lousy service. You literally could not pay me to take one of their flights out of the Hawaiian islands to their mainland or Asia destinations.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteKona to Honolulu
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"This is not 1980 Hawaiian Airlines!"

Trip Verified | Horrific App/website experience that led to calls with a physical agent for 75 minutes on the phone trying to book extra people on the plane. If I didn’t call the seats wouldn’t have been confirmed (we didn’t know this) even though they charged us already. They wanted us to fax a statement over stating the booking was paid for and then call them back to confirm (going through the “system” takes a while to begin with. This is not 1980 Hawaiian Airlines! I won’t be using this airline anymore and I implore you not to either unless you want to spend your pre vacation stressed and hot under the collar!
RouteSan Francisco to Honolulu
Date FlownJuly 2022

"given random seats and not together"

Not Verified | When I had initially purchased my flight for my fiance' and I, I paid the extra fee for us to pick our seats, to sit together. Day of departure from Sacramento, we no longer had seats assignments. Furthermore, the in flight entertainment and wifi, never worked. The day we are due to fly back to Sacramento from Honolulu, again we lost our seats we picked when purchasing our tickets. We were given random seats and not together. Waited for over 30 minutes before they had an agent at the gate for help. Still we waited another 45 minutes
RouteHonolulu to Sacramento
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"you had to pay for everything"

(Japan)

Not Verified | I missed my first flight due to their electronic check in system not working and having to wait in the customer service for an hour and a half. The next day Waited for 2 hours just to get our new boarding pass. They tried to charge me $100 just to sit with my wife. At each section in the airport they had one to two people working with up to 50 customers waiting for help. Once we got to the gate they were hostile and undermanned. We tried asking questions about our seats and they told us to ask after they started boarding everyone. Once in the air they brought a food cart that you had to pay for everything, then after that you could get free drinks and a sandwich. No amenities whatsoever where given for free. Headphones, blankets, and real meals you had to buy. They provided movies but expect you to pay for headphones or bring your own.
RouteHonolulu to Phoenix

"Waited 7 hrs since 1pm"

Not Verified | Never again. The worst flight experience ever! Waited 7 hrs since 1pm and they still have absolutely no idea whether we will be able to fly tonight or not. Some says there is no pilot available!
RouteMaui to Seattle
Date FlownDecember 2022

"don’t care if you are satisfied or not"

Not Verified | I will never fly them again! I booked a flight from Las Vegas to Honolulu and I booked a flight with a different airlines to get from Honolulu to Australia. Right before departure they said that something is wrong with the engine and we have to wait to fix it. They took almost 2 hours and I didn’t see anyone fixing anything! Due to this, I missed my flight to Australia because of the time of landing! I basically lost around $2500 because I had book another ticket to Australia and also book a hotel room plus food for that night! I was trying to talk to the staff for more than 3 hours at the airport and they kept sending here and there without any solution! The service is so bad, they don’t care if you are satisfied or not.
RouteLas Vegas to Honolulu
Date FlownDecember 2022

"no one cares to fix the maintenance issues"

Not Verified | We had our flight from Sacramento to Honolulu delayed due to a technical issue as one of the engines didn’t start. It took them over an hour to figure it and in total 2hr delays. On the way back we had technical issues, engine stretch or something (different model). I am not sure how good their maintenance on this airplane are but it’s clearly a problem. We are not frequent flyers with Hawaiian Airlines but people who sits around us said it happens often. Just very sad how no one cares to fix the maintenance issues instead of going through this all the time! What’s the chances that both our flights in days difference had technical issues.
RouteSacramento to Honolulu
Date FlownDecember 2022

"I will never fly Hawaiian again"

Trip Verified | The Hawaiian website froze when I was attempting to book a ticket. I cancelled out of the site, waited to make sure I didn’t get an email saying the reservation went through, and several hours later went back to the site and booked the trip. The next day I got two emails with two different reservations. I called Hawaiian and the agent told me that they could cancel the ticket but not refund it. I asked if it could be used as credit toward a hotel stay and was told that it could. When I tried to redeem the credit the agent told me that it could only be used toward a flight. Hawaiian doesn’t even fly out of DFW so I lost $350. Had they been honest the first phone call I could have potentially used the credit some other way. I will never, ever fly Hawaiian Airlines again.
RouteKOA to LIH
Date FlownMarch 2022

"Don't expect any sort of service"

Not Verified | My wife and I flew an inter-island flight from Maui to Honolulu in Nov 22. Although the flight was delayed the experience onboard was fine. Upon arrival into Honolulu one of our bags didn't make it. The man at the Honolulu Hawaiian airlines baggage desk was super rude and quite frankly it felt like he didn't even want to serve us. We filed a 'irregular baggage report' and did the standard protocol. The man at the desk said they would call first thing the following day and let us know our bag whereabouts. The next morning we received no call so decided to call the aiport as we where staying 1.5 hours from the airport. We were put on hold for 3.5 hours and then 2 hours where no one picked up the phone. The following day was the same! On hold for 3 hours and no answer. When someone finally answered they said they had found the bag and would send it out immediately. 2 days later we still hadn't received the bag and once again couldn't get through on the phone to anyone at the airport. We ended up driving to the airport where there were 3 staff working on the hawaiian airline baggage desk not serving anyone talking amongst themselves. When I asked why no one was answering their phone they all laughed. My bottom line! Don't expect any sort of service at all with Hawaiian airlines... especially if something goes wrong.
RouteKahalui to Honolulu