Gulf Air

"seats are not comfortable"

Trip Verified | Male to Bahrain. The flight is usually very cramped and seats are not comfortable. The main problem we had during our return flight from our honeymoon was that we had been told that we would not be able to sit together as the flight was full (upon booking we were assured the seats would be together). Even though we could see that the two rows behind us were completely empty and not in use at all. Once the flight had taken off the air hostesses were continuously hovering over us trying to get to the overhead cabinets above us (a problem we would not have had had they seated us a row behind), at which point two big baskets had been dropped by one of the staff, directly hitting my head and my husbands phone. She did not once check to see during the flight if I was okay and we did not approach anyone else regarding this until leaving the aircraft so that we wouldn’t have to deal with any hostility or uncomfortable atmosphere for the rest of the 5 hour flight (the hostesses on this flight did not come across as very friendly). We are absolutely appalled with our first experience of gulf air.
AircraftA302NEO
RouteMale to Bahrain
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"flight is overloaded"

(Bahrain)

Trip Verified | Bahrain to Delhi. I booked my ticket before one month but when it’s times to fly, Gulf air staff giving reasons that flight is overloaded, there is not space. I had work in Delhi, there was arranged couples of things. If next time I’ll fly with this airline, I have to think many time. Now who’s responsible for this. Who will pay my expense. Even they have not arranged another flight, they were giving options for next day flight.
RouteBahrain to Delhi
Date FlownJanuary 2020

22nd January 2020 : Gulf Air response

"thank the team at Paris"

(Bahrain)

Trip Verified | Paris to Bahrain. My review is to thank the team at Paris airport - very welcome helping in each request and solving problems. It was a family trip and really top service. Excellent team. The flight was also very good and excellent crew.
RouteParis to Bahrain
Date FlownJanuary 2020

5th January 2020 : Gulf Air response

Dear Mr Khamil, Thank you for your review. We were delighted to learn of your experience with us on your recent journey. Please provide us with your flight and contact details and will contact you directly. We look forward to hearing from you.

"staff on the plane were impeccable"

Trip Verified | I was somewhat sceptical in picking Gulf Air for my Christmas trip to the Philippines. The reviews were not overly great, neither is their reputation (most I spoke to had not heard of this airline). The flight times were not great either. The price however was the sticking point and offered the cheapest method of flying to the Philippines for the Christmas period. The Gulf Air fleet is relatively modern. The dreamliner I rode in had plenty of foot-room and the interior was very pleasant to the eye. All my connecting flights were extremely comfortable. My return flight did have a slightly annoying whining noise from the toilet near the entrance to the plane. It sounded more like a technical issue with the bathroom flushing mechanism as it only stopped periodically when people went to the bathroom! The inflight entertainment was extremely responsive, more responsive than any other that I have used before. Regrettably the same cannot be said for the range of content available to watch. I found the offering limited. The staff on the plane were impeccable and worked extremely hard from start to finish. The food can only be described as very average. Certainly better than Etihad's atrocious recent food offering on their long haul product. It does not however meet the same level of standard that befits Qatar Airways or Singapore Airlines. A definite area to improve I think! The worst experience I had was the Bahrain terminal. You are forced to go through security upon arrival for your transit. If you have a tight connection there is no urgency to prioritise those customers, often most people were shoving their way past in the queue to try and meet the connection. Meanwhile the staff were somewhat carefree and very brazenly dismissed the concerns of those passengers. I know from experience it's likely the plane would not leave and be held back slightly, but that reassurance for other passengers was not there. Instead they are forced to queue in what is a seamlessly endless line in an non-air-conditioned room. With only 2 security checkpoints it was woefully inefficient. My return flight to London required a 2nd security check at the actual gate, whereas my first flight to Manila (or any other visible flight) did not, Why? If you are to have security at the gate, be consistent and do it for all gates (Like Changi airport) and at least make the transiting customers have a positive experience. Facilities at the Bahrain terminal are Ok. McDonalds, Costas, enough seating. The building aesthetically is not like any other big airline terminal, but it's okay for what it is. Ground staff - I found rude really and inefficient. My return flight to London insisted on a 2nd security check at the gate with a very forceful and intimidating manner against the passengers already present, the whole process was chaotic, to be herded into a separate section. They tore our boarding passes but we had not actually boarded. So we couldn't leave the closed off area to go to the toilet if needed. When we finally started boarding, it was not done in a Zoned manner. Which meant the boarding process took twice as long. It felt a very frustrating experience. My initial flight to Manila was nothing like this. Though the member of staff processing passengers onto the Manila flight from Bahrain did not actually open my passport to check against my boarding pass, which is frankly shocking. Workers from retail shops were extremely courteous and friendly.
AircraftBoeing 787-9 Dreamliner
RouteLondon to Manila via Bahrain
Date FlownDecember 2019

5th January 2020 : Gulf Air response

Dear Mr Anderson, Thank you for your review. We were sorry to read that your last experience with Gulf Air left you disappointed in our services. Please provide us with your flight and contact details. This will allow us to investigate and contact you directly. We look forward to hearing from you.

"Gulf Air is an underrated airline"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Gulf Air is an underrated airline. At first I was hesitant in using Gulf Air since most of the reviews about them are not good. When I saw that they are using 787 on their MNL flight I told to myself why not try their airline. On board MNL flight I was surprised that they have a chef and nanny on board. On the ground they also distribute pyjamas with slippers. They are offering dinner for their 1st service and breakfast before landing, foods are tasty. I like their business class layout compared to Emirates, Etihad and Saudia (B777). Their seats are comfortable but they need to improve their in-flight entertainment at least add more movies. I enjoyed my flight and I was able to sleep during the flight. Highly recommended.
RouteJeddah to Manila via Bahrain
Date FlownDecember 2019

23rd December 2019 : Gulf Air response

"not a great experience"

(Kuwait)

Trip Verified | Bahrain to Kuwait. The flight was full and had a delay in departure. It was not a great experience this time as lots of passengers shouting in the plane. Even during take off & landing they were walking in the plane but cabin crew didn't do anything. In my view cabin crew could have done little more efficiency during the flight to make passengers comfortable. Seats were unclean.
RouteBahrain to Kuwait

18th December 2019 : Gulf Air response

"everything was in order"

(Kuwait)

Trip Verified | Kuwait to Bahrain. Was a short flight of 50 minutes. Departed on time. Snacks and beverages served though it was low standard. Overall everything was in order, nothing to appreciate or to criticise.
RouteKuwait to Bahrain

18th December 2019 : Gulf Air response

"a lot of gate changes"

(Palestinian Territories)

Trip Verified | Not recommended if its a transit flight. There is a lot of gate changes, you could miss your flight and they will make you pay for another ticket. Bahrain airport is a small and bad one.
RouteDubai to Bahrain

15th December 2019 : Gulf Air response

"not allowed to board the flight"

Trip Verified | London to New Delhi via Bahrain. Highly disappointed. We were not allowed to board the flight inspite of being 55 minutes before departure from London. We did not get any assistance and they said we cannot let you travel. The help desk at the airport also said we have to purchase another ticket from Gulf Air as our return ticket would be canceled if we board some other carrier to India. So we had to purchase another ticket and will travel tomorrow and pay charges for rescheduling and ticket price difference.
RouteLondon to New Delhi via Bahrain
Date FlownNovember 2019

"missed the connecting flight"

Trip Verified | I've flown with them on 25 Sep 2019, when the plane suffered from technical failure. We have to wait on the plane for 2 hours and the gate (another 3 hours). They provided us with sandwiches and beverages (which not enough). Service on the plane was no problem though. We arrived at Bahrain 6 hours late, thus I have missed the connecting flight, at least they gave us a hotel and meals. We forced to stay in Bahrain for 22 hours. They do have a flight to BKK in the morning but didn't relocate the seats to us.
RouteFrankfurt to Bangkok via Bahrain