Gol Transportes Aéreos

"fly a decent airline"

Trip Verified | Rio de Janeiro to Brasilia. This was my second Gol flight, for first flight I spent 45 minutes trying to check-in online and the app timed out over and over on the seat selection page. So I tried to check in at a kiosk at the airport and it didn't work either. The flight and in flight service were fine. For my second flight, I didn't bother trying to check-in online and when I got to the airport I discovered I was at the wrong Rio airport (Santos Dumont vice Galeao). I would've realized had I checked in online but because their app sucks I hadn't bothered. So it was kinda my fault (though my ticket just said 'Rio di Janeiro' with no airport code). I asked if I could be put on next flight. They said there was space but it'd cost 1250 reais ($300+). This is how airlines make customers hate them. Gol sucks, in more ways than one. Spend a bit more to fly a decent airline!
RouteRio de Janeiro to Brasilia
Date FlownOctober 2019

"What a terrible experience"

Not Verified | Salvador to João Pessoa. What a terrible experience, from start to finish. The kiosk, which never seems to work on other flights, once again did not work in Salvador. The line we were told to enter, ironically enough called "assist with check-in," provided no assistance at all. It moved at a glacial pace, and there was no one to ask for help. Even though we arrived at the airport two hours before a domestic flight, by the time we arrived at the desk of a most unhelpful check-in "assistant," and again, I use that term advisedly, we were told that we had missed the flight and needed to go to the airline ticket desk to sort things out. Just when you thought a check in assistant could be horrible, well, the airline ticket desk employee must be woefully underpaid, afflicted with a terminal illness, or about to retire. He was of absolutely no help. His solution: call Expedia and get them to buy another ticket for the following day. Hello GOL! We are here on vacation and don't have time to do that. So we wound up having to go to Azul (excellent staff, by the way) and spend 3,224 reis to buy our tickets to Joao Pessoa. Unfortunately we are booked to take another flight with this "airline" in a few days and I already feel nauseous about it. We plan to get to the airport four hours ahead of time just to try and accommodate the chaos, ineptitude, and incompetence. Let the buyer beware: you are making a mistake if you book with this company.
RouteSalvador to João Pessoa
Date FlownOctober 2019

"complaints line of GOL was totally inadequate"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | On this flight from Manaus to Cuiaba via Brasilia we were confronted with a 4 hour delay because of a management decision of GOL: the day before they had accumulated a backlog because of bad weather. In order to purge this backlog they have decided to use the aircraft that was supposed to fly us - in time! - from Manaus to Brasilia for flying other passengers to another destination first. GOL staff do not speak Engish, we needed the help of fellow passengers who translated for us. We called the complaints line of GOL which was totally inadequate: while the delay was displayed in the airport at Manaus and was also visible through google when searching for the flight number, the GOL complaints call taker was not even aware of the delay, assuring us there was no problem. After some convincing on my part he eventually called Manaus airport to admit I'm right and I have no other option than to talk to people of GOL in Brasilia airport to learn about my options to finally get to my destination. After roughly 4 hours the aircraft returned and flew us to Brasilia eventually. As we only had 1 hour of transfer in Brasilia we obviously lost our connection to Cuiaba. As this destination is not so popular they have one flight a day, so we had to wait until the late afternoon of the next day to proceed our travel. In the meanwhile we were dumped in the sleaziest hotel of Brasilia, way out of town. I checked booking: even Brazilians are highly recommending to avoid that hotel! For dinner we received an allowance of 37 BRL, less than 10€, for 2 persons. This barely pays for a little snack, let alone dinner especially at airport prices! Because of this management decision we lost a full day of an expensive nature tour in Pantanal costing us (couple) 600€ a day! If you are timebound at your destination, consider other options than GOL or foresee a full day of buffer yourself!
RouteManaus to Cuiaba via Brasilia
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"truly dreadful airline"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Sao Paulo to Recife. Gol is a truly dreadful airline. At no part of my experience did they achieve a level close to that I expect when travelling. The check-in and boarding at the airport is at best utter chaos. The seats on the aircraft were uncomfortable, cramped and the staff were not nice. The toilet was not clean. I, unfortunately, travel on buses frequently in Brazil but compared to Gol the experience is first class. I have been travelling with Gol for many years and they used to be nice, but now obviously the company is looking to cut costs and with it the customer experience. If GOL is your only choice they will get you to where you need to go otherwise anything else is better than this.
RouteSao Paulo to Recife
Date FlownJune 2019

"staff friendly and efficient"

Not Verified | Buenos Aires to Sao Paulo. One thing Gol just cannot get right is check in. Doing it online or even at a self service kiosk is frustrating and almost always futile. Their app is even worse - almost completely useless. However, checking in with an agent is easy enough. Otherwise, this is overall a good airline. The staff are friendly and efficient and the flights tend to be very punctual. The legroom on my two flights (GRU-EZE and return) was reasonable and even though it was a relatively short flight they served (fairly good quality ) food& drink for free.
RouteBuenos Aires to Sao Paulo
Date FlownMay 2019

"Do not fly this airline"

Trip Verified | Miami to Fortaleza. I cannot even begin to describe how bad this airline is in terms of its scheduling reliability and the hours you waste having to spend picking up after their incompetent operations. I booked in October in what were supposed to be direct flights to Fortaleza and from that time until April, they changed departures and returns a total of 7 times and changed flights from direct to flights with connections also. In the first 2 cases because of the grounding of the 787Max, so I can forgive them for that, but not the rest, unrelated to that issue or making direct flights connecting flights. Almost impossible to reach without travel agent assistance. They so complicated our travel plans and connections with other airlines that they literally forced us to accept a refund because on the planned return date which was again subject to a change - for the third time - they had no alternative flights to prevent missing a connection even if that meant having to pay twice the fare with a US carrier to be able to get back as scheduled, Do not fly this airline.
RouteMiami to Fortaleza
Date FlownMay 2019

"flight was cancelled without explanation"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | My experience with GOL was absolutely terrible. My flight was cancelled without explanation (after having entered customs). I spent 3 hours trying to identify an alternative option, the staff were extremely unhelpful and poorly equipped to handle the situation. Only 1 of 8 staff members could speak broken English, and any non-Brazilian passengers were treated with disrespect. After being given 2 connecting flights to my final destination Rio, my flight was again delayed at my first layover. Our boarding gate was changed 3 times without any English notifications or announcements made. Again the staff were disrespectful to passengers. The staff were ill informed about the itinerary and were struggling to direct passengers to their respective destinations within the airport. Overall, GOL was the worst of all the flights we took in Brazil. I would much rather recommend an alternative airline for international tourists and Brazilian passengers alike.
RouteManaus to Rio De Janeiro via São Paulo
Date FlownApril 2019

"crew was very attentive"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Brasília to Belo Horizonte. Very clean aeroplane. The crew was very attentive to the satisfaction of customers. The ground staff was comprehensive and pretty fast to my urgent questions and demands.
AircraftB737-700
RouteBrasília to Belo Horizonte
Date FlownApril 2019

"Unbelievable, never again"

Trip Verified | Buenos Aires to Quito via Sao Paulo. The second leg of this flight, from Sao Paolo to Quito, was due to arrive at 22:30. Instead, it diverted without explanation or warning (at any rate which was comprehensible to the sleeping passengers) to Manaus in the middle of the Amazon, Brazil at 01:30. The reason given (eventually) was that the plane didn’t have permission to use Peruvian air space. We were sent to a local hotel which did not have rooms available and were abandoned there without a GOL representative. I ended up sharing a room (solo female) with a stranger (male) at 05:30 when it became free. We finally arrived in Quito at 18:30 the next day. I ended up missing my 10 day tour of the Galapagos and spending over USD350 on replacement flights. No response from GOL, nothing from customer service, no apology, no refund and no explanation/confirmation for me to give to my insurers. Unbelievable, never again.
RouteBuenos Aires to Quito via Sao Paulo
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Try to avoid this airline"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Buenos Aires to Sao Paulo. A disaster no matter where you look at. I will never take a flight on this airline again. Delayed my first flight from bs as by 3 hrs, lost all my connecting flights. The worse part was the customer service at the airport. To find their counters, to having to visit 3 different offices to get answers. I think they must be losing so much money in all the hotel accommodation for passengers that miss their flights because of poor planning. One one agent was kind enough to show me my way to the right place in the airport. Try to avoid this airline, they are very inefficient and don't know why they make their connections as short as one hour when they know they are unorganized and will likely miss planes due to delays.
RouteBuenos Aires to Sao Paulo