Garuda Indonesia

"friendly and professional"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Jakarta return both sectors in A330. In-flight service were good, flight attendants were friendly and professional. Order the special request of low fat meal; the quality and taste were good. Appreciated for the warm wholemeal bread instead of the common bun. Passengers are mentioned by personnal name.
AircraftA330-200
RouteHong Kong to Jakarta
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Garuda stop flying to London"

Trip Verified | Flew on the GA087 from London to Jakarta. Check-in opened at 18:30pm LT for our 21:45pm flight. The check in process was fast and efficient and then the Garuda Ground Support Staff escorted me to the Lounge via fast track. The lounge was very busy; however, Garuda Indonesia has a section set aside for its First Class passengers. The lounge itself is good and the staff are very friendly and helpful. When it came time to board the Garuda Ground Staff were on hand to escort me to the aircraft. Like most night flights I bedded down right away and had 6 hours of good sleep. The First Class cabin was full; however, the cabin crew were able to cater to all in line with the usual Garuda Indonesia’s 5 Star service and nothing was able bother to the Cabin Crew. When we arrived in Jakarta I was met by the Garuda Ground Support Team and was taken through Immigration Fast Track and on to collect our luggage and on the waiting car. Great team of people both on the ground and in the air that Garuda Indonesia should be very proud of. The only sad part is that Garuda stop flying to London from October 28th, 2018. This is a real shame as they had a great service all round.
AircraftBoeing 777-300-ER
RouteLondon to Jakarta
Date FlownOctober 2018

"asked to give up my booked seat"

Trip Verified | Denpasar to Perth. Booked 4 months ago and selected my seat 8c. On check-in at Denpasar I was asked if I could change my seat as a couple wanted to be seated together. I agreed as a good gesture as I was travelling alone. I was moved to 11c. I was shocked to discover Garuda asked me to change seats when there was 3 lots of 2 seats available so why was I asked to give up my booked seat when there were other seats available where they could have sat together. I will never agree to change my seat for any reason in the future.
AircraftA300-300
RouteDenpasar to Perth

"seat is too short"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | I have taken several business flights with Garuda (two long haul - one in an A330 and one in a B777). The B777 business seat is the cocoon type. However, when flattened, the seat is too short to sleep flat out (I'm 1m90 / 6ft3), and it is too narrow to comfortably curl up. The seat cushion also has bumps and ridges across its surface (where the seat surfaces intersect). Other airlines provide top matresses to cover up this up (e.g. ANA, NZA). It's the least comfortable business class seat I have had so far. Luggage is not automatically forwarded to connecting flights (my case in AMS). As a consequence, in such cases the airline will sell you tickets with unusually long stopovers. - It was not possible to reserve a specific seat on some flights. You might get assigned the worst possible seat at check-in. Amenities were standard. No socks or pijama top, so you sleep in your clothes. On the plus side: food and drinks were excellent, staff was very helpful and friendly. Also, the seat had a handy foldaway table which could swivel to allow you to get in or our your seat, without having to clear the table. That's very handy when dining or working - other airlines should take not. I will review the A330 flight separately, as it had a different business class cabin.
RoutePalembang to Brussels via Jakarta / Amsterdam
Date FlownOctober 2018

"worthy of their 5 Star rating"

Trip Verified | Flew from Jakarta to London on GA 86. Garuda Indonesia had arranged a car to pick up me and drop me off at the airport. Upon arrival at Jakarta Terminal 3 the Garuda First-Class ground support team were waiting for me. They assisted in checking me in and, then took me through immigration and straight into the lounge. There was a choice of buffet type food or there was a menu to order from and the selection was quite extensive. When time came to board the flight the ground support team were on hand to escort me to the aircraft. There was free complimentary Wi-Fi onboard and the connection for the total flight duration was excellent. The onboard service was excellent, and the cabin crew could not do enough to help and assist me. Additionally, they really go out of their way to make you very special. We landed at Heathrow Terminal-3 approx. 10 minutes ahead of schedule and when the door was opened I was first off the aircraft and escorted to Terminal-2 for my connecting flight. Another excellent flight on Garuda Indonesia. The sad part is that they will stop flying Jakarta-Heathrow route from end of October 2018 and this is a great shame as they really do have a great service both on the ground and in the air. They are totally worthy of their 5 Star rating.
AircraftBoeing 777-300-ER
RouteJakarta to London
Date FlownOctober 2018

"given Platinum Trial Experience"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Singapore to Surabaya. Happy to have been given Platinum Trial Experience, but turned out to be disastrous. =Priority Luggage Tag meant nothing as my luggage did not come out earlier. On return flight, checked-in early at Changi Airport, was given access to DNata Lounge. Twice I asked the lounge receptionist if flight was ready for boarding, was told not ready yet, please wait. At 19:15 (15 min prior to supposedly take-off timing) I got restless, so got the receptionist call the gate. True enough, the gate staff forgot to call the lounge to inform the boarding. So I had to run all the way to the other end of the terminal and was rushed at gate, as if I was the culprit.
RouteSingapore to Surabaya
Date FlownOctober 2018

"a frequent traveller easily gets bored"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | The boarding was chaotic, as apparently due to cost saving, GA used one gate for 3 flights departing around the same time, unbelievably a brainless decision! I think it was not only confusing but dangerous (if one goes to the wrong direction, can one end up in another country as all three are international flights). A lot of ground staff around the gate but very inefficient, they did not seem know what to do, so yelled at each other in loud voices. Then we still had to walk a long way through a stuffy corridor to get to the aircraft (parked in domestic area). It was such an irony as I saw Narita-bound LCC Air Asia used the gate next door alone so that passengers did not have to walk far and no chaos. Boarded, was shocked by the new Diamond seat that looked and felt cheap (same design as in their B777 Business but of low-cost material), the design was poor, there was a huge gap between the aircraft window to the seat that anything could easily fall through, and one would have to bother the passenger behind to retrieve. Amenity was worse, of very cheap quality. The food and entertainment menu has not changed in forever, a frequent traveller easily gets bored! Overall did not feel like a genuine 5-star experience, but a fake one!
AircraftA330-300
RouteJakarta to Haneda Tokyo
Date FlownJuly 2018

"lost property in the cabin"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Denpasar. We received good service whilst we were on the plane, but off the plane, it's another matter. I would like to see Garuda taking lost property more seriously. Two of us used Garuda's contact-us page to follow up on some lost property in the cabin. One week later there has been no response despite our email address details being left on the form. Phone calls with Garuda's Denpasar office were difficult and unhelpful regarding lost property. We were passed to multiple people before being brushed off. Currently, Garuda's written policy is to take zero responsibility for cabin items, which in our experience, seems to have rippled through to a lack of regard from staff and process. In an environment where significant fares are paid, passengers are known and seats are numbered, better efforts should be made to track items if they are left behind. It's great to have a diligent cabin crew who made sure we were well fed on the flight. However, we’ve been frustrated by the experience, tracking our lost iPad to a location in West Java with no support from Garuda.
RouteMelbourne to Denpasar
Date FlownOctober 2018

"it was an absolute joy"

Trip Verified | London to Jakarta. I had the pleasure of flying Garuda First Class before they discontinue the London route and it was an absolute joy. The cabin crew were so kind and friendly and the food and comfort on the flight second to none. Upon arrival at Jakarta all first class passengers were escorted through immigration and were seated in a waiting lounge while their bags were collected and delivered to them. Such a great service which I cannot recommend highly enough. Returning from Jakarta to London in Business Class was vastly different to the first class experience and not as good as I have previously experienced. There is evidence of cost cutting both in the amenity kit and also the food used noticeably cheaper ingredients. The service from the cabin crew was lacking compared to my previous trips. On the evidence of this, I doubt if I will bother to use Garuda long haul again as it involves going via Amsterdam and there are plenty of other good choices out there. It's a shame really as over the last few years it has been a pleasure to travel Garuda but all good things come to an end!
RouteLondon to Jakarta
Date FlownOctober 2018

"like to say a big thank you"

Trip Verified | Flew Garuda Indonesia on GA823 from Singapore to Jakarta. Check-in opened at 05:30am for the 0725am. At check-in it was a little confusing how Dnata the Garuda agent starts the check-in process. I was first in line at the business class check-in lane, however economy class opened first. At the immigration I tried to used the auto gate for clearing immigration, however it did not work so had to go to normal channel, this caused a little delay. I used the Dnata lounge which Garuda uses In Singapore and the lounge and staff are very good and helpful. I had breakfast in the lounge as there was a broad selection of both eastern and western food available. I was assisted from the lounge to the gate by the Garuda ground support staff and the boarding process was orderly. We push back from the gate a little a head of schedule and arrived in Jakarta 15 minutes ahead of schedule. Upon arrival in Jakarta the Garuda ground staff met me at the gate and helped me through immigration and retrieval of my luggage. I had to go to the domestic terminal to meet my family who were traveling on another Garuda flight and the Garuda ground staff were very helpful by escorting me all the way from the International terminal to the domestic terminal. I would like to say a big thank you to both the ground staff in Singapore and Jakarta.
RouteSingapore to Jakarta