FlySafair

"not be flying this airline again"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Do not travel on this airline if you value your luggage -- they may return it damaged, and then wipe their hands of the situation by sending you an email saying what happens to the baggage is out of their control because it has to - and I quote directly the nonsense they sent me -- "pass through the hands of several service providers in the airport context." Unbelievable that they don't respect their customers enough to compensate for damaging their luggage. Particularly don't recommend them if you are travelling with children (in my case, two small children) - they damaged my child's car seat so as to make it completely unuseable then said I could no longer make a claim once I had stepped out of the airport. Apparently after a flight you are expected to then traipse around a large airport and track down their lost luggage office which is nowhere to be found, while dragging along two small, tired children, in order for them to believe you're not making this up (who has the time?) They claim reporting directly at their (invisible) lost luggage office is for "transparency" reasons, when actually transparency on their part would have been them telling you they can't be trusted to safely check in a car seat. Flying is expensive, as is a child car seat. The least you'd expect is to get the service you paid for. Will not be flying this airline again.
RouteJohannesburg to East London
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"cabin crew and flight crew were exceptionally friendly"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Outstanding! Our flights between Johannesburg (Lanseria International Airport) and Cape Town were both very pleasant. All of the staff including the check-in staff, cabin crew and flight crew were exceptionally friendly, patient and professional. Compared to former and existing low-cost airlines in South Africa, FlySafair is by far the best! There was a one-hour delay leaving Cape Town due to a baggage handling issue (no fault of FlySafair) but it was handled well by the crew and much time was made up in flight. Boarding and disembarking the aircraft was also handled very well. Lastly, the aircraft was exceptionally clean and felt very spacious especially compared to other low-cost airlines both locally and abroad. Well done and thank you FlySafair!
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"priority booking absolutely non sensical"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | We are extremely disappointed in the way and manner we were treated in boarding flight FA305 to Cape Town. First the priority line and normal queues were allowed to embark at the same time which makes the priority booking absolutely non sensical. When I raised what I believe was a valid complaint the ground staff merely stated my complaint will be noted. I believe this treatment meted out by you to your priority clients call for a reimbursement as this conduct is incongruous to say the least. I am on my way to Cape Town for an urgent medical procedure and my wife also had cancer which makes standing in the sun a most unpleasant experience. We were allowed to leave the terminal building but then had to stand in the sun for an extended period before being allowed to embark. The excuse was the number of wheelchair passengers delaying embarkation. But why are we not retained in the terminal building till those passengers have been seated. We have started to support Safair but I will have to rethink after this incident as it never happened with any airline and I have been flying since the early 70s .We book on your business class package and are then treated as second class citizens.
RouteLanseria to Cape town
Date FlownDecember 2021

"two amazing flight attendants"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | To the two amazing flight attendants who were working at the front on flight FA210 traveling from Joburg to Cape Town on Saturday (the 27th) departing at 16:10 I would just like to say thank you so much for the extra care you gave to the elderly passengers (my mother included) on that flight. Your care and going the extra mile is truly appreciated (my apologies I did not get your names but thank you both).
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town
Date FlownNovember 2021

"they were 30 minutes late taking off and landing"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Terrible.....they state they are the most on time airline....yet they were 30 minutes late taking off and landing. They state they don't serve food or drink because of "no touch" yet they give water "touched" by attendant and you have to put your mouth on the top of water where the attendant touched. Where hot coffee kills viruses but their water apparently is ok. It is a farce for them take more money by using Covid to take your money with nothing special in exchange. Why they won best airline in 2019 and claim they are the most on time airline in the world is beyond.me.
RouteJohannesburg to Durban
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Both flights very pleasant"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Cape Town to Lanseria and Lanseria to Cape Town. Both flights very pleasant under the current COVID circumstances. Easy priority check-in, bag drop and boarding from both airports. Ground staff and crew onboard young and friendly. No in-flight service as this is an LCC carrier. Aircraft interiors clean and comfortable. For disembarkation, you remain seated until the crews disembark row by row from both the forward and rear exits - very organised and will definitely fly them again.
RouteCape Town to Lanseria
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"missed their flight with 3 minutes"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | My parents booked a flight for the 22nd of September. The queues were so full and no one to help people that they missed their flight with 3 minutes. Their website say to be there 90 minutes before the time which we were. But the queues were so full they were not able to get through. They were placed on standby for the whole day and they told them at the end of the day only to go home and come back again at tomorrow mornings flight. Again no one to help them along with 25 other people also missing their flight because the flysafair staff didnt help them and then there was absolutely no line at customer care ... while waiting for the people to tell them at 5:20 if there is space, no one communicated with them and they waited until 6:15 and even after the flight took off, no one communicated with the passengers on what is going on. Worst service we ever got from any airline.
RouteJohannesburg to George

"Everything went smoothly"

Trip Verified | Everything went smoothly. I didn’t expect much. Ground and cabin staff were really friendly and didn’t check the cabin bag for weight, smooth boarding process, there even was free water. Flight was perfectly on time. I paid 70 ZAR for exit row seats that were comfortable.
RouteEast London to Johannesburg
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"so disappointed in FlySaFair"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | We were already on the aircraft and it had started moving then it turned out that there was a technical issue on the aircraft. We had to go back into the airport and we waited for approximately 5 hours for the problem to be fixed. We were left in the dark for a very long time about what was happening. Secondly I do not understand why the aircraft was not checked thoroughly before the messengers got on. Our lives were put at risk and the R80 voucher we were given to buy food was not enough. Lastly, the fact that we were expected to fly in that same aircraft on its own is problematic. My whole day was messed up because of this delay and FlySaFair did not do much to ensure that they make up for this. Yet if the tables were turned I would've been expected to pay a penalty for being late/delaying. I am so disappointed in FlySaFair.
Date FlownAugust 2021

"inattentiveness regarding the wearing of face masks"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Disappointed by the cabin crew's inattentiveness regarding the wearing of face masks. Counted at least 1 person not wearing a mask during the first 10 minutes sitting on the flight before take-off. In-flight attendant did not tell them to put on their masks even though the passenger was clearly visible in an aisle seat until a passenger requested an in-flight attendant to tell the person to put on their mask. During the flight there were more than 4 children not wearing face masks that were not asked to put on their masks and upon disembarking the aircraft the cabin crew also failed to point this out to the parents and let the children walk out and climb onto a bus without face masks. I was very uncomfortable during the entire flight.
Date FlownAugust 2021