FlySafair

"a very bad experience"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to George. I had a very bad experience with flysafair both times I’ve make use of them and this is my first bad review of any service or place. After booking online for a extra check in suitcase they denied it and make me pay again further the staff at boarding in Johannesburg shouts at us. In George on 3 seats with a window seat only to be called back to exchange tickets for seats across the passag,e now I sit with a crying daughter who made herself ready for a window seat so I would rather next time use a more organized airline.
RouteJohannesburg to George
Date FlownDecember 2018

"a very smooth flight"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg. This was a very smooth flight from the beginning to the end. More or less efficient boarding. Ground staff started boarding on time but asked holders of a priority boarding ticket to board from the end (while most of them were seating in the front). Meanwhile, all other passengers were boarding from the front. Apart from this issue, everything was perfect. Everyone was on board on time and departure was 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Comfortable seats and friendly staff. We landed 20min ahead of schedule. I definitely recommend FlySafair for its punctuality.
RoutePort Elizabeth to Johannesburg
Date FlownNovember 2018

"I was positively impressed"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Durban. This is my first domestic flight in South Africa and I was positively impressed by Flysafair. Online booking was very clear and rapid. Even though I took a flexible ticket, my flight was extremely cheap. Boarding was very efficient and started on time. Staff was nice throughout the flight and very professional. On both ways, flight departed exactly on time and landed 15min ahead of time. Seating was ok (I'm 1m95 tall). The only criticism would be the plane that was relatively old (>20 years).
RouteJohannesburg to Durban
Date FlownOctober 2018

"worst customer service"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth. On 21/09/2018 I had one of the worst customer service experiences with Safair at OR Thambo International Airport. Not only were their staff inexperienced and incompetent but they were extremely rude and unhelpful with a situation where I was innocent. I missed my flight out of Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth, flight FA360, departing at 18:20. A few factors contributed to this flight being missed and are as follows: Delays and Cancellations at ORT: Most of the flights posted on the flight screens were either delayed or cancelled on Friday evening. The assumption was that due to the public holiday, the airport was facing congestion. Flights that were meant to depart at 15:15, 15:25, 16:00 etc were showing as either 'Boarding', 'Departing', 'Cancelled' or 'Delayed' at +- 18:00 2. Flight Screens: The flight screens at ORT were clearly out of order (as per the above point) and so flights that may have looked to be 'delayed' were in fact departing and flights that were ‘cancelled’ may have in fact been 'departing'. This was confirmed by Safair team members at the departure gate for flight FA360. Gate Change: The flight screens at ORT had flight FA360 departing from gate E6 (this being the bottom level of gates at ORT) where I had positioned myself at 17:45 in order to be at the gate 5 minutes before the gates opened. For the next +- 20 minutes nothing changed on the flight screens. The was no 'Go to Gate' sign for flight FA360 and the gate remained unchanged at E6 on the flight screens. The flight screen at Gate E6 was showing a flight for Margate and so due to the numerous delays and cancellations at the airport, I was under the impression that the Port Elizabeth flight would depart after this Margate flight at Gate E6. This was not the case. At approximately 18:15 when I once again looked at the flight screens, the gate for flight FA360 had changed to gate C13. There was no ‘Go to Gate’ sign showing on that flight. I rushed to Gate C13 only to find the flight screen at the gate displaying Flight FA360 to Port Elizabeth as ‘Closed’. When I approached the 2 Safair employees, the 2 ladies had told me that the flight had departed. When asked if there was a Gate change, they both replied ‘Yes’ there was a gate change. When asked ‘why there was no loud speaker informing passengers of this change?’, they replied that there was an employee of the airport telling people about the gate change. I then asked these 2 ladies if the flight screens are not working at the airport as the 'Go to Gate' sign was not visible and the Gate Change only came on at 18:15. Both of them replied that ORT had been having issues with their monitors. What since ensued at the Safair counter at OR Thambo is inexplicable and I simply cannot type out my anger at your Safair staff. The call centre staff also could not assist me with anything and blamed me for 'missing' my flight and have told me that I am in the wrong. Its actually a disgrace how I have been treated by such a 'reputable' company.
RouteJohannesburg to Port Elizabeth
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Don't think you will ever be on time"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Don't think you will ever be on time with FlySafair or that they will help you to change your flight. Our 1st flight was delayed and our return flight even more. Even telling them I am a Doctor who has a shift to do, they wouldn't even try to help you, their reply "sorry you need to wait nothing we can do".
RouteCape Town to OR Tambo

"the best experience"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Durban. But from the get go upon checking in how awful of me with the pain I was already in, the attendant that assisted me in CT International was the best, like a godsend at that time of morning and his willingness to assist me and make my check in such a breeze. Also inflight, the cabin crew were the best, i also had the best tasting cappuccino. Extremely helpful and courteous staff. Our flight arrived 20mins ahead of schedule. Now that for me was the cherry on top. To Flysafair crew and ground team thank you so much for the best experience especially with having to have had to fly with my medical condition.
RouteCape Town to Durban

"the lack of initiative"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Cape Town. My flight was delayed. It was to leave at 8:15am but it was changed to 9:50am. Then we later only boarded at 10:30am. I understand the bad weather and all these "technical difficulties" but what I do not accept is the lack of initiative taken in remedying the problem. I missed the entire morning session of the conference I was to attend n Capetown. This was not a trip for fun, it was for business. The manager was so rude to me when I called to complain telling me I knew what I was getting myself into. Seems FlySafair do not want to keep customers because they would have apologized firstly and tried to remedy the situation.
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town
Date FlownMay 2018

"you get what you pay for"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | Durban to Johannesburg. As a low cost airline, in FlySafair you get what you pay for. No inflight entertainment, any beverage you want you have to pay, seats that don't recline. No USB plug to charge your phone. The really good thing is that the service was really fast. Fast boarding, fast disembarking and you got your checked baggage fast.
RouteDurban to Johannesburg
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Very basic airline"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Flew FlySafair from Johannesburg to Cape Town. Very basic airline, pay for everything. I often find cheaper flights with other low cost airlines in South Africa of whom I get much better service. Great airline when traveling on a tight budget and only with hand luggage, but if you're looking for comfort and services, give them a skip.
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town
Date FlownOctober 2017

"greeted by a professional crew"

Trip Verified | Having needed to book last-minute, we were very pleased to find that FlySafair had reasonable fares a few hours before departure. Flew from Cape Town to Johannesburg. The experience started at check-in, unfortunately the priority queue was slower than the normal queue due to passengers being let forward due to needing special assistance or running late. However, as soon as we got onboard, we were greeted by a professional crew and the whole boarding process was very organised. Legroom was adequate, however the seatback was rather short, meaning that sleeping was uncomfortable for anybody taller than 175cm. In-flight service was BOB with very reasonable prices. In Johannesburg our luggage was delivered within a reasonable timeframe. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to book flySafair again.
RouteCape Town to Johannesburg