FlySafair

"did not provide compensation"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Durban. I had to attend a funeral in Durban on 17/5 at 10 30am. Booked a 6.30am flight. This flight was delayed for 5 hours. Only left Johannesburg at 11.30am. Did not make it to the funeral. The purpose of going to Durban was not met. Safair did not provide compensation for the delay.
Date FlownMay 2019

"told me I have missed my flight"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Durban. I am disgusted with the service I received at OR Tambo with the Ticket sales when I came to check-in for my flight that was at 11:05-12:20 to King Shaka international airport, the agent looked me in the eye and told me I have missed my flight when the flight was still within the airport, when I got there in time for my flight. I was shook for a moment he refused to print my ticket and dismissed me to look for other flights that at at 1600. The guy did not provide the customer service to ensure that passengers make it on the flight booked. I do not have money to waste I am never flying with you guys ever again. I had to book Mango to make to Durban on time and make it to work and they exceed customer expectations!

"Terrible customer service"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Terrible customer service, call centre takes ages to response and they keep putting you on hold for a significant time. I booked a ticket single for my wife and myself, Johannesburg to Durban I changed my flight paid a huge change fee almost the same price as my ticket for a day earlier. I received confirmation that my flight was change, and they added a return flight. I needed to change my wifes flight for an earlier flight on the web site I selected her flight and the system automatically assumed its a return flight Durban to Johannesburg no warning all all I choice a flight and when we received the confirmation slip her flight is a return flight. Tried calling the call centre for assistance I am waiting on the line and put on hold now for 29 minutes. I don't recommend this airline surprised that they won best airline award.

"website is not clear"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg. There are hidden cost when you fly with FlySafair. The website is not clear about additional costs such as luggage, what is included, or what is excluded.
RoutePort Elizabeth to Johannesburg
Date FlownApril 2019

"not use this airline again"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Cape Town. The worst flight and service encountered - from counter where they insisted I pay an additional amount of R250 for baggage (about 13kg) to be loaded - to the actual flight where staff treated passengers very badly. we had to stand on the side for over 20 minutes to allow staff to proceed with the onboard refreshment trolly sales. Why can't SAFAIR advertise a price including the allowed booked-in luggage as all other airlines? Instead they charge you extra for luggage other than hand luggage. I will not use this airline again.
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town
Date FlownMarch 2019

"staff on board was rude"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | First of all the front desk ladies were very sweet and helpful, I can not complain about them. Now lets start, the staff on board were rude and did not seem bothered with the clients at all. After the safety instructions were done, they simply went and buckled themselves in, not one of them came by and checked to see if any of the passengers were buckled in. When we arrived my sons car seat was booked in as special baggage, well thank you for breaking the chair into two pieces. The car seat was thrown on the floor in the middle of the conveyors where you collect your bags. We asked the people at the kiosk where we should collect the special baggage, they simply pointed to stuff thrown on the floor and there was where my sons car seat was thrown. When we flew with Mango on the 4th they brought my sons car seat to us to the kiosk on a trolley as it should be but to throw someone's baggage like it garbage is disgusting. Staff have no personality, no drive and no respect for your clients goods. When we flew with Mango again on the 4th of Feb the pilots were excellent, they kept telling us and informing us where we were, but the pilots of flysafair did none of that. I regret not flying with Mango again and regret that I used your services. I will never be you client again and I advise anyone not to make use of your services!
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"the absolute worst flight"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | George to Johannesburg, Sunday 27th January 2019. We missed our flight Kulula to OR Tambo so we booked a flight on FlySafair, when we were booking the man at the counter (George Airport) advised us that the aircraft lands at Lanseria we said no we need to go to O.R Tambo he was adamant that the flight landed in Lanseria so my husband said don’t worry we will take the 2 tickets and then ask someone to come fetch us as we reside close to OR Tambo so we bought 2 tickets. When we were checking in the lady in the front said we will be at the emergency exit 16D and 16E and if need be in case of an emergency would we be willing to help, we said yes that’s no problem she then advised us unfortunately the emergency exit seats do not have windows, so we said no that’s fine. Whilst we were in the queue at check in I got speaking to a lady who was in front of me and she advised me where she lives the area and I said that’s the area I live I advised her that is she getting a lift all the way from Lanseria to her home which is close to mine she then said no the plane lands at O.R Tambo. I told her what the person at the ticket counter told me that the plane lands at Lanseria and we already made arrangements to be picked up at Lanseria she then said she hopes it’s not the case as she already told her daughter to collect her at OR Tambo, she then went to the front to go and ask, she was advised that it lands at OR Tambo and came back to tell us. I then luckily got hold of my husband cousin to change the arrangements We caught a flight from George to O.R Tambo leaving at 18h00 27.01.2019 last night when we got on board the aircraft the stewards were friendly and well-presented and I told my husband that the plane looks really good with plenty feet space we went to our seats and hello and behold it had a window. Surely the staff who work at the airport should know what they are talking about and should also know where the plane lands We left on time but this was the absolute worst flight I have ever experienced. Whilst I understand that the weather conditions weren’t great, this was by far the worst flight I have been on, when the Pilot landed everyone clapped that’s how relieved they were that the plane had actually landed. When we eventually arrived at O.R Tambo our bag was open, the cable ties we used to secure the bag was off and the Bag was damaged.
RouteGeorge to Johannesburg
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"a very bad experience"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to George. I had a very bad experience with flysafair both times I’ve make use of them and this is my first bad review of any service or place. After booking online for a extra check in suitcase they denied it and make me pay again further the staff at boarding in Johannesburg shouts at us. In George on 3 seats with a window seat only to be called back to exchange tickets for seats across the passag,e now I sit with a crying daughter who made herself ready for a window seat so I would rather next time use a more organized airline.
RouteJohannesburg to George
Date FlownDecember 2018

"a very smooth flight"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg. This was a very smooth flight from the beginning to the end. More or less efficient boarding. Ground staff started boarding on time but asked holders of a priority boarding ticket to board from the end (while most of them were seating in the front). Meanwhile, all other passengers were boarding from the front. Apart from this issue, everything was perfect. Everyone was on board on time and departure was 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Comfortable seats and friendly staff. We landed 20min ahead of schedule. I definitely recommend FlySafair for its punctuality.
RoutePort Elizabeth to Johannesburg
Date FlownNovember 2018

"I was positively impressed"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Durban. This is my first domestic flight in South Africa and I was positively impressed by Flysafair. Online booking was very clear and rapid. Even though I took a flexible ticket, my flight was extremely cheap. Boarding was very efficient and started on time. Staff was nice throughout the flight and very professional. On both ways, flight departed exactly on time and landed 15min ahead of time. Seating was ok (I'm 1m95 tall). The only criticism would be the plane that was relatively old (>20 years).
Date FlownOctober 2018