Flybe

"have never experienced something like today"

Trip Verified | Birmingham to Berlin. Do not use Flybe - KLM are the better option. We have a standard sized cabin bag, due to it being hardcase rather than softshell it did not fit in the Flybe specific mould to check the size of cabin luggage. Not having a bank account we've been advised that we are not allowed on the flight as the airline does not accept cash payments. Considering we are looking at an extra charge of £50 per bag this is just not acceptable. Luckily we found a passenger who was willed to take our cash and pay with her card so we were allowed to board the plane. None of this information has been displayed or has been made visible to customers when purchasing the tickets. Being punished for having a hard shell cabin bag and not being allowed to pay cash caused serious distress by making us feel like second class people in front of all the other passengers. This is keeping in mind that we did purchase valid tickets and booked additional Check in luggage on to our flight. We are frequent flyers and have never experienced something like today. Do not use Flybe.
RouteBirmingham to Berlin
Date FlownMay 2019

"hand luggage has to be so small"

Trip Verified | Birmingham to Amsterdam. My experience is what a terrible airline. Rude staff and your hand luggage has to be so small to get it in the cabin. Was on a propeller plane from the 80's.
RouteBirmingham to Amsterdam

"Charged £50 for a bag"

Trip Verified | Edinburgh to London City. Charged £50 for a bag being the right size on my return journey. My bag fits the measurements on their website, I have never had a problem with any other low cost airline and Flybe accepted it on my outbound flight after checking it themselves. Pathetic implementation of new rules.
RouteEdinburgh to London City
Date FlownMay 2019

"disappointed with ground staff"

Trip Verified | Extremely disappointed with the ground staff with the way they handle the boarding process. I have been taking the same cabin bag for a year and a half which has been allowed on board without any issues but now I am being charged £50. The woman claimed it is because it is a propeller aircraft which it wasn't. It is a terrible way to rip people off and the price is highly exaggerated, other airlines would put it in the hold for free but not Flybe. If it is £22 to check it online before hand why is it £50 at the gate. It is an obvious scam to try and rip off unsuspecting people who buy standard cabin sized bags and flybe know this.
RouteGlasgow to Cardiff
Date FlownMay 2019

"I feel really ripped off"

Trip Verified | I have been using Flybe to travel for work all this year and have used the same cabin bag for every trip. Sadly after this trip I will not be using them again. I have never had a problem checking in and the staff have checked my bag using a cardboard sizer. The difference with this flight is that they used a metal sizer and my cases lock got stuck on the side which meant I had to pay £50. It was clearly the right size but because it’s a hard shell I couldn’t make it fit for obvious reasons. How can Flybe do this? It was obviously just the lock and considerably smaller than other passengers material bags. I feel really ripped off and there was no reason to inflict this penalty when I have flown repeatedly with this airline and with the same bag. I shall never fly with them again.
RouteCardiff to Belfast
Date FlownMay 2019

"there is no consistency"

Trip Verified | Boarding the flight from London Heathrow to Newquay we had our hand luggage check by the airline staff and took our two bags in the cabin. On the return flight on the same aircraft the same bags (with no change in content) had to be put in the hold for the sum of £40 each. I then witnessed other passenger with the same type of make and model of hand luggage being allowed to take their bags on to the flight for stowage in the cabin. The 'sizing' devices issued by the airline are different at the separate airports and there is no consistency, also the treatment of the customers in relation to the enforcement of this operators policies is totally inconsistent. It could be easily construed that the inconsistencies are a method to squeeze a captive audience for every pound possible.
RouteNewquay to London Heathrow

"disappointing flying experience"

Trip Verified | Paris to Birmingham. Took over half an hour to check in online managed to get at opposite ends of the plane on the way out and on the way back. Hand luggage had to be checked in as the plane small. All in all a disappointing flying experience for my partners birthday, probably the worst to date and we fortunately the rest of the weekend was lovely
RouteParis to Birmingham

"luggage too big"

Trip Verified | Birmingham to Amsterdam. Bad service. Trick with the luggage being too big costing you 50 pound. Already paid for extra luggage of 30 pound and my bag has always fitted with other airlines. Not recommended!
RouteBirmingham to Amsterdam

"my oversized luggage"

Trip Verified | Cardiff to Edinburgh. I always used the same luggage and I did not know Flybe adopts different luggage size regulations and mine resulted to be oversized. They should point the luggage dimension more clearly when you buy your ticket. With the 50£ I paid for my oversized luggage I could have bought another ticket. After I paid the fine, I removed the label and brought the luggage with me in the cabin. No one minded it and it fitted in the holder. In the onboard magazine, they advertised pieces of luggage that respected the Flybe sizes.
RouteCardiff to Edinburgh
Date FlownMay 2019

"never use this airline again"

Not Verified | I have flown between Norwich and Exeter a number of times over the last year using Flybe and had planned to continue using it as it’s a convenient way to get between university and home. I have now learned my lesson and will certainly never use this airline again. I arrived at the airport and as usual had the pay the extra £10 that Norwich charges just because they can. I then was asked to put my suitcase through the sizer. I hadn’t had to do this for most of my previous trips, but I wasn’t worried because on the flight to Norwich, a member of staff had put my suitcase into the sizer (upside down) and it had just fit. The suitcase had also been bought according to Flybe’s size regulations. After some trouble lifting my heavy suitcase, I got it into the sizer, upside down just as the staff member had put it in at Exeter. I was then told that the suitcase would need to be put the other way up with the wheels facing downwards. Despite the suitcase being the right size, I was unable to fit it into the sizer, and was charged an extra £40 to put it into the hold. Absolutely furious considering that my return flights only cost a few pounds more than that. I saw a fair few other people who couldn’t fit their bags into the sizer.
RouteNorwich to Exeter