Flybe

"I will be avoiding them"

Trip Verified | Exeter to Dublin. Was booked for a flight to Dublin that was cancelled at the last minute. After providing no reasonable alternative I was forced to take a train to Bristol in order to catch another flight from another airline to make my meeting. When I contacted the airline to ask for a reimbursement, not only was I told "no", but it took them nearly a month to respond to multiple queries. The carelessness of this airline defies belief. I have dealt with a lack of professionalism from their staff in the past but this demonstrates that the problem is larger than a few dissatisfied flight attendants. I will be avoiding them as much as possible in the future.
RouteExeter to Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2019

"only thing I can praise is the staff"

Not Verified | Manchester to Amsterdam Schiphol with Flybe. On the way out I was told that my bag was too large, despite measuring the bag prior to the flight and never having had a problem with this bag on other airlines. I was very reluctantly forced into paying a £35 fine at the gate in order to have my bag put in the hold. Not only that, but I also was forced to pay an additional charge of £23 to check my bag into the hold on the flight home. Both flights were delayed by this ridiculous system at the gate where customers where asked to attempt to ram their baggage into a ridiculously small baggage size check box and, like myself, forced to pay a fine if it didn’t fit. I am confident that my bag measured within the limits given on the Flybe website. In addition to this, the aircraft used for both flights appeared to be very old, unclean and very noisy throughout the flight. Food was overpriced and poor quality. The only thing I can praise is the staff who were very apologetic and pleasant throughout and even sympathised with the frankly ludicrous cabin baggage cramming that went on at the gate.
RouteManchester to Amsterdam Schiphol
Date FlownAugust 2019

"An airline best avoided"

Trip Verified | Flew from Antwerp airport to London Southend. and was charged EUR 20 penalty for a check in case because I booked it in at the airport and not online. When booking was made by my travel agent in Australia they were unable to add luggage and when I tried to book online the night before it would not recognise my booking reference. I was told at the airport this was because Antwerp airport does not allow FlyBE online check in rights. Rang and spoke to FlyBe customer service when in London. Talking to a wall would have been about as productive. They passed the buck to Stobart Air who were the actual carriers who proved to be worse. Clearly luggage is one of many mechanisms by which they screw you over. I've made formal complaints to Antwerp Airport and Belgian Tourism Authority to extract some recompense for the EUR 20 ripoff. An airline best avoided.
RouteAntwerp to Southend
Date FlownJuly 2019

"ticked all the boxes for me"

Trip Verified | Once again Flybe ticked all the boxes for me on the Birmingham to Aberdeen route. A slightly delayed departure outbound but landed on time, 20 minutes early getting back to Birmingham on the last flight of the day. Cabin crew were pleasant and professional, and the journey was as comfortable as can be expected on these commuter planes -- certainly OK for a 1:15 flight. (I'm fairly small, 1.73 m and 74 kg, so I expect someone much bigger would eventually find the space rather tight.) It was also a very good price, booked well in advance for £58 without hold luggage.
AircraftDash 8
RouteBirmingham to Aberdeen
Date FlownAugust 2019

"want to take your money and run"

Trip Verified | Edinburgh to London. We had to talk to 4 different customer service representatives who all had different stories as to why they could not help us. We ended up losing a very large sum of money dealing with this airline. They do not want to help the customer here, they want to take your money and run.
RouteEdinburgh to London
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Good product on this route"

Trip Verified | London City to Belfast. Was informed of a delay outbound before getting to the airport by text and e-Mail. Seats 11A and 11D in the Dash 8 have no windows. Leg room is more than adequate. Card machine not working, and I had no cash so was given a bottle of water. Return leg was punctual. The coffee is if a much superior quality and cheaper than what is currently on offer at BA. No issues with hand luggage, but the overhead bins are small. Good product on the LCY to BHD route!
AircraftDash 8
RouteLondon City to Belfast
Date FlownAugust 2019

"they check the luggage size"

Trip Verified | When flying from Birmingham to Amsterdam, they check the luggage size at the boarding gate. A usual luggage may not be fitting in their luggage measuring box (smaller than regular hand luggage size). It costs £35 and they do not allow you to take your luggage inside the airplane so count for extra time upon arrival as you need to wait for your luggage. They did not practice this exercise in Dusseldorf.
RouteBirmingham to Dusseldorf

"smallest luggage compartments"

Not Verified | Southampton to Amsterdam. Flybe must be the worst airline in the UK. I was unable to take my small suitcase on as hand luggage as it did not fit in the very small metal sizing apparatus the (non-Flybe) staff use to measure the cases. I have used this bag as hand luggage around the world for 2 years on many other airlines and never been refused as hand luggage. I was charged £35 for it to be put in the hold - more than the cost of many bags and more than a 23 kg suitcase booked online. The staff on the duty-free desk said this occurred many times a day. Shame on you Flybe, why do you not make this more apparent when booking flights? The aircraft on which we flew has the smallest luggage compartments I have seen on a commercial aeroplane. Flybe should be more upfront with this shortcoming.
RouteSouthampton to Amsterdam

"both flights delayed"

Not Verified | Dublin to Southampton. The flight is fine, it’s a short flight (one hour) but on both flights (return flight) the flight was delayed by an hour and a half. We have two small children and this is very inconvenient.
RouteDublin to Southampton
Date FlownAugust 2019

"never received any type of apology"

Trip Verified | Read reviews of people being double charged for baggage but flew anyway as it was a short direct route. Paid for 2 bags when I booked through orbitz. At Edinburgh airport they could see because of price I paid that baggage had been paid and waived fee that popped up. Returning from Belfast the desk female said she couldn’t see that and charged me again. This same lady made the family of 5 ahead of us all place their carry on in the cage to make sure they fit. All did. She could have seen they would but was just harassing the family. When arriving in Edinburgh at the baggage reclaim, after a 20 minute wait, the sign said baggage unloading complete, but not one bag had come off. We were all then sent to surpoint outside baggage area to inquire about out bags. We were told: (1) They don’t know where are bags are (2) the bags never left Belfast and we filled out place for bags to be delivered (3) While still filling out the forms that are bags were in Edinburgh but they didn’t know where, and (4). Your bags are in the baggage claim area. We had all been sent out of the baggage area and couldn’t return so surepoint sent their employees to the baggage area to load up our bags and bring them out. After 1 1/4 hours we were finally able to get our bags. You have to be pretty incompetent to lose a plane load of bags. Have never received any type of apology from Flybe for their poor performance. I guess the treatment we got is pretty standard for Flybe. Next time I will take a circuitous more time consuming route to avoid Flybe and will not use orbitz again.
RouteEdinburgh to Belfast