Flybe

"charge £50 for a bag"

Trip Verified | Cardiff to Dublin. Ridiculous to charge £50 for a bag that can't quite fit all the way in the bag checker. Was fine on the way over from Dublin. Will not fly again, terrible customer service
RouteCardiff to Dublin
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"pleased with the Flybe product"

Not Verified | Norwich to Malaga. I suspect Flybe's new handluggage policy is an attempt to entice customers to upgrade to the second grade fare that includes hold baggage etc . Whilst all those flying on their cheapest fare with just hand baggage were suffering draconian sizing checks at both NWI and AGP, and penalty money demanded from miscreants, my wife and I who were on the hold baggage inclusive fare (that was only about £25 more!) were waved through with a smile and no checks. Overall, we were very pleased with the Flybe product. We were a bit late on the outbound sector, and would have departed on time on the return save for a medical emergency as we were sitting at the stand in Malaga. This was dealt with professionally, and arrived back in NWI only 40 mins late. As a couple travelling together the Emb 195 is a great plane with its 2+2 layout, thus avoiding the middle seat lottery of 737's and A320's, plus the advantage of not having to traipse to and through Stansted or Luton. OK , it's a bit more expensive than Ryanair or EasyJet, but prices for onboard food etc are simila . Just wish Flybe would open up more services from NWI than those to Malaga and Alicante currently offered.
AircraftEmbraer 195
RouteNorwich to Malaga
Date FlownDecember 2018

"I won’t use them again"

Trip Verified | Southampton to Limoges. I flew from Paris Charles de Gaulle to Exeter with Flybe and had no problems with taking my cabin bag on board. On the return flight from Southampton to Limoges I was asked to place my bag in the size checker as I was about to go through to security. It was 3cms less than the height limit but 1cm too wide. I’m not a regular flyer and had stupidly assumed that the bag I used for flights last year with RyanAir and Aer Lingus would be acceptable for Flybe but no. When I asked how come the bag was accepted for the outward journey but not for the return I was told Southampton had a strict policy. Strange response, I thought it was the airline that enforced their policies. I was then directed to the check in desk to have the bag placed in the hold. At check in I was told to go to another desk to pay £40 for the bag to be placed in the hold, or alternatively I could try to pay for it online at a reduced cost of £22, however it might not actually work, I was told. Another strange response, especially as they couldn’t explain exactly why it might not work. As I had plenty of time I thought I would do it online and it did actually work and my payment was accepted. Went back to the check in desk, a different Flybe rep, I explained what had happened and showed my payment receipt and was then asked how I had managed to pay online as it shuoldn’t work once you have checked in. Eventually the bag was accepted for the hold and I got my flight back to France. I was lucky, I had left plenty of time and the queues at check in weren’t too long. Flybe have a little statement on their website about their inconsistency with on board baggage policy and how they are now being more consistent. On this evidence that is clearly not the case. This experience spoiled what could have been a very pleasant experience as a first time Flybe customer. I won’t use them again, I’ll spend the money saved on an alternative airline who will accommodate my bag, Easyjet, BA, Ryanair, Aer Lingus for example.
AircraftDash 8
RouteSouthampton to Limoges
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"just not worth the hassle"

Trip Verified | Exeter to Geneva. I fly 2-3 times a week and they tried to tell me my hand luggage was too big - no other problems with any other airline even including Tui and Ryanair who supposedly have the same restrictions as Flybe. Staff are rude, I’m not even on the aircraft yet and I’m already hostile regarding the customer service on board. £40 for a checked bag at desk, great stuff. I would never recommend flying with Flybe, I would recommend spending the extra £40 with a friendlier, well regarded airline like BA or EasyJet. You’re better off flying from Bristol to Geneva on EasyJet than Exeter - Flybe are just not worth the hassle.
RouteExeter to Geneva
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Most costly baggage policy"

Trip Verified | Exeter to Paris CDG. Most costly baggage policy ever. Think of adding 80£ return to your ticket as it is more than likely your cabin bag won’t be accepted. Don’t book anything close to your time of arrival, like booking a car or a flight or a taxi or a meeting or a rental house as you are very unlikely to be there in time for it. So make sure you have four time the cost of your flight ticket at disposal to repay all your booking.
RouteExeter to Paris CDG
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Flew out from Glasgow with cabin bag, no problem, flew back 3 days later with exact same size, same contents, cabin bag was then too big and was charged £40. I was told cabin bag size changed the day before. Will never fly with them again, Flybe now have smallest cabin baggage size, the mechanical sizer they use is only 20cm deep, I went to various shops, the shops don't even stock this size of baggage. Basically you have to check all luggage unless your travelling with plastic bag. Make sure you pay for checked in bag when booking flight, otherwise expect to pay additional £40 each way.
RouteGlasgow to Belfast

"enjoy flying with them"

Trip Verified | Exeter to Amsterdam. Flown with Flybe for years on routes Amsterdam - Southampton, Exeter, Manchester. Pretty much 2 or 3 return flights a month. Always been happy with them, find the staff courteous and in general the service efficient. They aren't like standard budget airline and the overhead stores are a bit smaller, but they have a unique style of their own and I enjoy flying with them.
RouteExeter to Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2018

"flight was totally unacceptable"

Trip Verified | London City to Belfast. Very poor online experience to start with, was unable to add a bag to the booking due to some issue with their website, in as advised they were changing systems and that some information was incorrect. Ok. Online check in didn’t get much better, I wasn’t assigned the seat that I paid for. I complained and was refunded the cost of the seat. I then experienced on the most chaotic boarding experiences ever at London city, we were herded into a freezing stairway for as much as 15 mins before the aircraft was even ready. It was at this point they decided that they would attempt to put peoples cabin baggage in the hold (while we were crammed in a narrow stairway) one customer took exception to this and whilst his behaviour cannot be excused he certainly had a point. After this we were finally allowed out to the apron to board the aircraft, only to be told to go back inside (reason unknown) so he had to try and squeeze back inside for a further 5 mins. Overall I would say this flight was totally unacceptable and I regret to say I will be avoiding this airline in the future
AircraftDash8 Q400
RouteLondon City to Belfast
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Avoid at all costs"

Not Verified | Belfast to Birmingham. Two hour delay. No information. Tried help desk on phone. No help. Ruined a trip I was taking my son in for early Christmas present. Never again. Do not use this airline. Bad service. Not interested in customers. Avoid at all costs.
RouteBelfast to Birmingham
Date FlownNovember 2018

"I would recommend them"

Trip Verified | Cardiff to Paris. On time and a very effective airline. Second time I’ve flown with them and I would recommend them. 2x2 seating on the plane was perfect for the short hop for me and my partner.
RouteCardiff to Paris