Flair Airlines

" did not expect to pay for carry on"

Trip Verified | My wife and I had a round trip from Calgary to Vancouver and had a horrible experience facing a very rude behavior of Flair Air staff at the boarding desk on December 28. There was a simple misunderstanding but the staff made a big deal out of it and acted unprofessionally and made flight to have an extra 30 minutes delay (the flight had 2.5 hours delay originally with this extra delay it had 3 hours delay in total). We did not expect to pay for one carry on each. We went from Calgary to Vancouver on December 23 2018 with Flight F8137. There was no announcement regarding paying for carry on and we were not asked if we paid for our carry on or not. Each of us had one carry on and we did not pay for any of them and we got to Vancouver with no issue. Considering this experience we would not imagine we should pay for carry-on on our flight back to Calgary. Vancouver to Calgary the staff asked if we paid for our carry-on then we said no and we mentioned that each of us has only one carry on so why should we pay and we came from Calgary to Vancouver with the same airline and same carry-ons and did not pay. I clearly asked if the rules are changed from Sunday to Friday, the staff could have easily explained that there is a fee for carry on and she could have asked us to pay but instead she decided to punish us by saying that you cannot go and stand by side. My wife a couple of times asked if we can pay now and the flight attendee said "a second" but she basically ignored us and boarded others. Then she said since you did not care about our announcement now you have to pay $80 for each carry on. We told her that considering the fact that we did not pay for carry-ons on our first flight we would not think if the announcement would be applied to us. Also the announcement was not clear to us because they said "if there is unpaid carry-on you can pay now" we thought they meant extra carry-on.
RouteVancouver to Calgary

"tiring and unprofessional"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Vancouver. Still waiting to board as I type this. none of us were updated on the plane, and never added a delay status to it, so the digital status ended up being departed and we weren't told what was going on until 20 minutes after the plane was suppose to leave. We just got a update right now that there is a mechanical issue. This is tiring and unprofessional. I guess you get what you pay for. I'm travelling with a cat so it's already tough enough.
RouteEdmonton to Vancouver
Date FlownDecember 2018

"nickel and dimes ruined my experience"

Trip Verified | Sadly there is no such thing as "low-fare" airlines. It was the matter of nickel and dimes that ruined my experience with Flair Air. The flights were booked by my older brother for our visit. I had no additional funds for add-ons. He informed me that I was allowed two bags free of charge. (This was incorrect but the itinerary shows one included bag twice, causing the confusion.) I boarded the flight in Calgary without issue. We waited longer than usual before take off. If you had headphones in or your nose in a book, you were told to pay attention because a continuously delayed safety demonstration was always about to start. Once in the air I was disappointed to be served only about half a cup of water free of charge and nothing else. These were all minor inconveniences, though. The decision not to fly with Flair again was made on the return home. I approached an agent for my gate number immediately upon arrival at the airport. Instead of answering my question, he told me I was only allowed one bag. Despite my explanation of the confusing itinerary and not having been charged on the previous flight I walked away defeated and began to condense my two bags, including giving away the small Christmas gifts from my brother since I couldnt afford to pay. When I returned to the desk a different agent further explained that that bag itself was still too large and would require a fee regardless. I had given my gift away for nothing. Both agents told me the cheapest solution was to pay online. I wanted to do so at the gate though and it took some pressure for the agent to finally disclose my gate number. When I arrived at the gate I found out the agents were wrong, as I had already checked in online which includes an option for purchase. I was faced with calling customer service or surrendering my bag (or now paying $80 for the bag). Luckily, the agent I spoke to on the phone was wonderfully helpful and pleasant. This included informing me my flight was delayed as Flair doesn't send notifications. After all of that, would I spend an extra hundred dollars or so to fly with an airline with good customer service, included carry-ons, complimentary in-flight snacks and notifications of delayed flights? Absolutely. Would I fly with Flair again? Absolutely not.
RouteCalgary to Vancouver

"Brutal communication"

Not Verified | Abbotsford to Edmonton. Apparently I am not the only unhappy customer by the looks of previous reviews. We were flying to Edmonton on Boxing Day and when we arrived at the airport, we found out, via the bulletin board, not an email, that our flight was delayed til 5:30 p.m. for maintenance reasons. Unsure how true that would be. We were given a $10.00 voucher for a meal which barely covered a snack and drink, let alone an actual meal. Then another 2.5 hour delay without noticer. Brutal communication and another delay for unknown reasons. After calling reservations to ask for compensation, they were unable to do anything yet Westjet gave my parter a full refund and still put her on they’re flight. My recommendations to others is fly Westjet, Air Canada or other airlines as Flair Air is a terrible airline. Good luck, you will need it.
RouteAbbotsford to Edmonton
Date FlownDecember 2018

"delay times kept changing"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Abbotsford. There was a 6.5 hour delay and the delay times kept changing and I had to ask the Flair counter to get updates. By not keeping your client informed of the changes just makes people more upset. I understand mechanical issues arise however keeping people informed is key. They won’t be happy however speaking with them makes it better then asking people that don’t even know is a bigger issue.
RouteEdmonton to Abbotsford

"flight from hell"

Trip Verified | Winnipeg to Edmonton. Total disaster: We arrived at the Winnipeg International Airport at 7am, ticketed, went through security and boarded by 8:15am for a 8:20am flight. We were then told aircraft would not start so we deplaned and waited as Flair Air kept changing the departure time. To make matters worse they kept changing the story on whether a new airplane would arrive or ours repaired. We finally started to board again at 4:32pm for a 5pm departure. This has been the flight from hell! I will never!! And yes, never is a long time, I will never fly with this airline again!
RouteWinnipeg to Edmonton

"Worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Winnipeg. Worst airline ever, spend the extra money on air Canada or west jet, plane was to leave at 445pm, got delayed till 700pm didn't get on the plane until 1230am, no reason why, awful customer service did offer any consolation for the delay. Theres a reason why they are cheap you definitely get what you pay for, spend the few hundred and get a reliable established airline.
RouteEdmonton to Winnipeg

"fly AC or WestJet"

Not Verified | Flight out of Calgary to Vancouver scheduled for 7:20am. We arrive to the gate at 5:30am and are told we'll be leaving at 2:30pm if we're lucky. Flair states that operational maintenance is the reason for the long delay. So basically, the plane broke down and we have no idea how long it's going to take to fix. Can't wait to finally board it! Hopefully this airline is out of business by next Christmas. Pay the extra money and fly AC or WestJet, there's a reason why Flair is cheap.
RouteCalgary to Vancouver

"Big mistake"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Calgary. Haven't even dropped my bags and I already have crossed them off. I typically fly Air Canada but decided to check out the newcomer Flair. Big mistake. Preface: I am a fairly frequent flyer. As a result, I have my ID ready, know the weight limits, wasn't surprised by the charges (purchased the max fare anyway, so everything is included), suitcases all fit in sizers, etc. I am currently sitting in the departures area of Toronto and having not even dropped my bag off, I have already decided that I wish this airline a quick demise. The experience started out with a glitchy website that made checking in require a lot of extra clicks and several attempts. Fine, I can forgive that as they are a newcomer. But their one get out of jail card is gone 24 hours before the flight. Arriving at Toronto Pearson, I had a difficult time finding the Flair desk because they are so cheap that they don't even splurge on a sign. Numerous passengers for the flight had to ask for directions to where Flair was after marching up and down the departure hall in futility. In addition, they seem to only check in one flight at a time. After waiting in line for a while (as they don't have fast bag drop, automated ticket printers, or anything else really), I was told to come back later for when they were done with all the passengers for the other plane. Went back after the line had cleared and at the time they recommended I return. Was again sent away. Well, away from Flair I shall go. Hope the flight is marginally better.
RouteToronto to Calgary

"Really disappointing experience"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Calgary. Really disappointing experience and won’t be flying again. Flair Airlines checkin charges for carry on without explicitly stating that personal items are allowed on. I paid for a carry on and then at the airport was told that I didn’t have to pay for it and that by contacting support I could have it refunded. The support rep refused to refund the charge, wouldn’t transfer me to a supervisor and told me that I would only be contacted if the supervisors had a different answer then he did, even after I explicitly requested that I receive a call back no matter the answer. The amount of nonsense that they threw at me for $35 was insane. I spent hundreds of dollars on this flight and I can’t even guarantee a call back? Terrible service and I will actively never use this company again.
RouteVancouver to Calgary