Flair Airlines

"Do not fly this airline"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Toronto. On Jan 8th I flew with Flair Air from Winnipeg to Miami. The flight was scheduled for 9 am departure. They had mechanical problems and informed us during the day we would be leaving within an hour. We departed at 7 pm. I was 12 hours in WPG Airport. When we arrived in Miami they flew into domestic instead of international and when we got off the plane we all went to the luggage carousal. 3 Custom officers came to us took our passports and lined us up against a wall. We had to follow them to customs as we were in USA illegally. This was midnight and they detained us until 3 am. At 3 am I went to get my luggage and it was not there. I waited until 3:30 am no bag so I had to take a shuttle to pick up rental vehicle or it would have auto deleted my car rental booking . I got car drove back to airport by 4:30 am to get my bag. No bag so I walked the airport looking for Flair air employees. They all had gone home and wouldn't be back until 7 am. I waited until 7 am as I had a 2 hour drive to the Miami house. At 7 am I was told Flair Air would not be in the airport until 11 am. I drove in my winter boots in Miami to the house - 2 hour drive. Called Flair and they delivered my bag the next day. I went to eat in my winter boots and same clothes I slept in in Miami. They would be giving no refunds I was told, no baggage charge reimbursement and I would get a $100 voucher to fly with them again. Stupidly I was going to Toronto on FEb 3 so I booked Flair for Vancouver to Toronto for $380 including a $31.50 bag fee. They took the $100 voucher off the fare. We got in the air half hour late in Vancouver, departure was 1:45 half way to Edmonton the plane turned around due to problems with one engine. We were met on the tarmac in Vancouver by 4 fire trucks. I was back in Vancouver and they said they would give us an update in an hour. The start of a very long day. I waited until 6 pm and then booked a flight the next day with Air Canada and booked a hotel for the night on my credit card. When I finally got in Toronto the next day I contacted Flair air and then said there would be no compensation for my Toronto flight and no baggage fees refunded as they had booked an alternate flight for me but they did not send me an email to notify me of this. They said the voucher from Miami of $100 would not be reinstated as it had "a one time use". They would not pay for my hotel. They said we apologize - goodbye. I may be out $1000 and I may have been beyond frustrated with this airline. I am a senior and on a fixed income and the money part hurts but hopefully people will decide on another airline. Do not fly this airline, their planes don't appear to be maintained and you will for sure wait a long time and take two days to get to your destination. You will not be compensated for anything
RouteVancouver to Toronto

"do not book Flair Air"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Vancouver. I arrived at the Calgary airport at 9:45am (2 hours prior to departure at 11:45am as requested by Flair Air) for a short 1.4 hour flight to Vancouver. At the Flair Air departure desk, I learned that my flight departure would be delayed for 5 hours to 4:45pm. The reason provided: the pilots are sleeping and had not had enough sleep due to Prior day flight delays. At 2pm, I learned from the Flair Air departure desk that my flight would be further delayed an additional 3.5 hours (ie a total of 8.5 hours from the original planned departure) to 8:15pm. Apparently the pilots must have been very tired. Barring any further delay and assuming the flight departs at the currently revised 8:15pm departure, I will have been at the airport for 10.5 hours (2 hr early arrival + 8.5 hr delay) and this is for 1.4 hour flight. I saved $50 by selecting Flair Air over its main competitors (west jet and air canada). If you value your time, do not book Flair Air. This is my first booking with Flair Air and it is also last. I am sure the larger competing air lines have a greater complement of flight personnel to draw upon thus avoiding such delays. As a side note, the Flair Air departure desk staff indicated that they had been on duty for 18 hours (some sleeping over at the Calgary airport) and they were tired and very disappointed and unhappy about the flight delay. Anyway, it seems that Flair Air is run on a shoestring budget and that as a consequence they cope very poorly any unforeseen contingencies. Be forewarned and book your flight accordingly.
RouteCalgary to Vancouver

"It was a disaster"

Trip Verified | Never fly with Flair Airlines! It was a disaster. On our way to Vegas, our flight was delayed 4 hours. Took away a whole day of our trip. There was no complementary food or anything for the sudden delay. Emails were sent an hour prior saying that “cabin crew needs extra rest”. On our way to Winnipeg from Vegas, we were again delayed for 4 hours. Flair staff did not even know whats happening. It was a very painful process. I feel bad for the infant and kids on board as they had to wait for so long. Again, we weren't offered any compensation for such inconvenience. Not enough staff scheduled for flights. We were supposed to land at 11:45 but didn't actually land till about 3am!
RouteWinnipeg to Las Vegas via Edmonton

"Hidden fees"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Orlando. Worst ever! It's a cheap airfare, but yes, everything else is cheap! Unexplained delay! Hidden fees! Rude ground crew. Terrible. I will never fly Flair Airlines again!
RouteEdmonton to Orlando

"a whole lot of stress"

Trip Verified | Booked a direct flight for cheap to Phoenix to attend a work function. They changed the direct flights to layovers in Edmonton. Needed to book an extra day off work. Received $50 voucher on next flight to be used by June this year. Each flight was delayed a couple times each before we even got to the airport and a couple of times more once we arrived. Both delays affected the connection flight which we were told would not be held for us and that we would be redirected to another airline to arrive at the final destination. Since half the flight was going in the same direction, this was worrisome. Each time we made a mad dash to the gate, stressed through baggage pick up, security and customs, only to board the plane (which did not the other passengers know it was going to be delayed and boarded at the original time) to wait on the tarmac for 2 hours before the plane took off. They ran out of food and the flight attendants hid from everyone. All customers on the flight were irritable and shared their own horror stories. My quick cheap flight ended up by been full day flying and cost me an extra vacation day, missed work events and a whole lot of stress. Not worth the money.
RouteWinnipeg to Mesa
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"would have been faster to drive"

Trip Verified | After both flights being delayed 3 hours on the way there and back for an hour flight. They had cancelled planes and set new routes from Vancouver. So they canceled the flight and rerouted. We had a 10$ voucher for food but really this flight should have been refunded. $385 for flight $120 for bags. It would have been same price to fly with west jet and after watching almost 40 west jet planes land we know who to use! Never again flair air we tried to once and I’m going to sign up for west jet rewards today. It would have been faster to drive.
RouteCalgary to Vancouver

"delayed for 5 hours"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Calgary. First flight was delayed for 3 hours. Return flight back to Calgary delayed for 5 hours. No email what so ever that it's going to be delayed, they usually do email. The website flight status says it's on time. Before we left at 4am it says flight is on time. Then we arrived at 5am at the check in and they said its delay. We checked the website at 6am and it still says it's on time. This airline is a joke and a waste of money and time. The gate number on your ticket is not the same. Doesn't make sense how a Westjet flight at 7am is not delay and this flight at 7am is delayed.
RouteToronto to Calgary
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"advise not booking with Flair"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Toronto via Edmonton. Flown with them twice now, both nightmares. Never cared about airlines before but I really would advise not booking with Flair, even for a leisure trip. It will throw a wrench in your accomodations and itinerary. First time- they pretended to delay our 7am flight from Toronto to Winnipeg. They kept saying "we'll update you in 15 minutes" and "corporate hasn't told us anything". Eventually people caught on that they did not have a backup plan for the plane (which had some sort of mechanical error) and started getting refunds. Horribly- they did not cancel the flight, just kept delaying it. This way they wouldn't have to reimburse for hotels or do the work to book us with another airline. They gave us $10 meal vouchers for the wait. They didn't even work, it looked like they had just printed it themselves and no one officially recognized it. Then when I got my refund and rescheduled, they took 6 hours to give me back my bag. Which was sitting right there the whole time. Me and the other customers were beyond frustrated, we thought we had lost our luggage, and there was no Flair official at Pearson to help us- even though the airport baggage officials called them on the Public Announcer! I had changed to a WestJet flight instead, but ended up missing a couple of those too because I hadn't gotten my luggage back yet. Thankfully Westjet was great and I got to Calgary at 1am that night (after leaving home at 4am). Unfortunately I had already booked a round trip, so I didn't change my return flight home, hoping it would be fine. But I'm sitting here right now after my flight was delayed 1 hour, then we got in and it was delayed further, then we finally got up in the air and they turned back 20 minutes later because of an engine light. Because of their incompetence I was actually scared in an airplane for the first time with all the turbulence. Anyways now they're doing the indefinitely long 15 min updates with no information again. Really frustrating and way too sketchy to justify a flight, even if its at half-price. WestJet all the way now.
RouteVancouver to Toronto via Edmonton
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"times may be significantly changed"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Las Vegas. While you will get a good price on your flight with Flair Air, beware and know that there is a probability that your flight times may be significantly changed a week prior to departure. We received and email of a change on the return flight, but no notification of a change on the flight there. If we had not opened our attachment in our travel confirmation we received one week prior to leaving we would have had no idea that our flight changed by 8 hours! When you speak to a customer service agent to complain-they could care less. I asked for someone higher up to call me and have heard nothing.
RouteEdmonton to Las Vegas
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"money grab type of airline"

Not Verified | Edmonton to Kelowna. Besides approving my pet travel at the termial then charging me $107.00 at the gate before boarding, they also charged for regular size carry on luggage. If I would have known they charge for regular size, approved by majority of airlines, carry on luggage I would have combined my cases into 1. They are a nickle and dime scheming money grab type of airline. I will pay more to take a professional airline compared to these clowns.
RouteEdmonton to Kelowna