Finnair

(Sweden)

STO-BKK via HEL in Business class. Check in smooth flights almost in time. Good information from the flight-deck. Food above average. Wines and drinks fine.

Finnair customer review

BKK-HEL-AMS-HEL-BKK Economy Class. The new A330 BKK-HEL-BKK was great (new AVOD IFE - if a bit limited in options) and cabin crew were very friendly. I don't like Finnair's free-grog- with-mealtimes - the window is too short but the haul is too long for this sort of thing. But at least the pay-on-board options were extensive. I found the meals on Finnair good - even the short-haul snack from HEL-AMS-HEL. A warm sandwich goes a long way in my book!

Finnair customer review

Finnair either hit or miss. Sometimes you have very helpful staff and good experience - others very bad. Whenever something goes wrong they seem ill-equipped to handle it. I regularly fly a route that ends up connecting to the HEL-LHR flight and I've missed the connection several times. That in itself is not Finnairs fault but the staff at the transit desk despite you having been put out make it seem like they are doing you a favour to transfer to another flight. They won't transfer you onto the next BA flight as they prefer to make you wait for their next flight despite being code share / one world partners. Then having got your ticket you ask if you can be seated aisle/window/closer to front etc like your original seat but they won't fobbing you off to ask at the gate where they know full well they will be too busy to be able to change anything. Finnair used to be a first class airline and was doing well upgrading its fleet getting rid of all the old long haul MD80s etc but despite new fleet new code sharing it is still the same old staff who certainly in my opinion need refreshing as well.

Finnair customer review

I travel London-Helsinki route regularly and prefer Finnair to BA. Finnair newer and there's programmes running on the tv-screens. I've found cabin crew friendly and attentive but food has recently gone a bit downhill - they're obviously tightening their belts. The seat pitch is what it is doesn't even seem to be much different in Business anymore either but is somewhat helped by the new design of the seats.

(Thailand)

Bangkok - Manchester via Helsinki. This is a trip that we make nearly every year and normally we travel with one of the middle eastern carriers. This time however we left our booking a little late and were unable to get our preferred dates. Finnair was the only alternative at a reasonable price. Friendly service Helsinki an excellent place to transfer. The airport is very easy to navigate through staff are friendly and it was quiet when we passed through. There was even a play area near the gate to keep the kids happy. And free wi-fi that works straight away - no need to request a password first. Dislikes - No choice of meal: on one of the flights the only option was a beef sandwich. - The food was quite plain and boring in comparison with the airlines we usually use. Browsing through the entertainment system I couldn't find much worth watching.

(Denmark)

CPH-HEL-HKG return. Food poor. Crew rude and patronising clear that there are union issues. Strikes common place. Information and apologies for missed connections in HEL little or none. Would avoid at all cost. I am gold on BA and Star alliance. Had surreal experience of senior stewardess telling my wife of at length for using the wrong toilet - hours after - we had to ask her to be quiet and leave our seat.

Finnair customer review

LHR-HEL-RIX return. LHR-HEL delayed due to weather A320 spotless condition and attendants on this flight were superb. The snack was large enough and nice. The next morning we checked in for the flight to Riga and the plane was a comfortable E90 provided with drinks (Juice or water) for the 50 minute flight. Our return flight from RIX-HEL was delayed by snow. It left 40 minutes late and we were advised by the stewardess that we would not make the connection for our flight to Heathrow. Upon arriving at Helsinki staff at the transfer desk had arranged for us to stay at a hotel near the airport inclusive of meals. We were booked onto the flight to LHR the next morning. This flight was completely full and service on this flight was superb with a warm baguette snack and 2 drink runs. The seats in economy were comfortable.

(Finland)

HEL-BKK in Economy. Fresh cabin on A340-300 good legroom seat a bit hard but comfortable enough. Cabin crew professional and attentive. AVOD entertainment but very limited selection of music and films. The dinner was the worst part of the experience looked as bad as it tasted. The breakfast was a bit better but expected more. Will choose them again to BKK if the price is right but catering and AVOD should be improved.

(Sweden)

JFK-HEL A330. Cabin clean and nice looking. Check in smooth and on boarding we were greeted by 3 stewardesses and given newspapers and a bottle of water. Friendly cabin crew helped with bags. Efficient service and they managed to get my special meal right (after several phone calls) however food was average. Crew spoke several languages. IFE ok but have seen a lot better on other airlines. Easy disembarking in Helsinki Vantaa a pleasant airport. However Finnair customer service is non-existent. Had problems due to the strike and it was handled badly. Would recommend Finnair for onboard service but any kind of contact with the airline is handled in the most appalling way. The tickets are quite expensive and the service not matching many other 4-star airlines.

Finnair customer review

I cannot submit a review for the onboard experience as we could not even get on the plane. I can however tell you about their horrible customer service which is almost non-existent. Trying to get a flight during the snow at Heathrow we were left standing at the check-in for 6 hours before we received any information from the 1 Finnair staff member who had stayed at the airport as all the others went home and left all the passengers stranded. When the announcement went over the loudspeaker that the flight was cancelled they told us to consult the check-in staff. By that time they had all gone. The UK Finnair customer service number was closed all weekend and the only 24-hour number was all in Finnish. There was no information about the delays anywhere on the website and although we had been told to come back the next day to the airport we found out from other sources that the flights were again cancelled. We then spent 2 hours on hold to finally be told that there were no flights available until a minimum of 4 days later. When I asked why other passengers who had booked on later flights were taking priority over us the customer service rep just kept reading the script 'Sorry we are fully booked'. Even after I explained that we had to make a connecting flight or we would miss our non-refundable trip in India that we had been saving for 6 months for there was no attempt to help and a refusal to upgrade us even though there were seats available on business class. I have to say this is the worst run airline I have ever encountered with the least helpful staff and the most shambolic management of any airline anywhere. Terrible check-in terrible website terrible phone support and shocking treatment of passengers.