Finnair

"recently let its standards fall a bit"

(Finland)

Not Verified | On average a reasonably good airline, Finnair has recently let its standards fall a bit. After arrival in Madrid (Iberia GRU-MAD), about 5 hours before Finnair departure to Helsinki, I first noticed that there was not even terminal information for the connection on the airport monitors. A short inquiry at Iberia transit desk produced the information and I walked to the correct terminal and correct gate, to find out that the Finnair Airbus was already parked there. Nevertheless, the gate information took four hours to appear in the monitors and was the last one to do so. My confirmed aisle seat proved to be a window seat, an all to common disappointment on Finnair flights. There was not enough leg space and my knees hurt a lot during the next four hours. On EU flights, there is no meal service and the snacks for sale are both expensive and of less than satisfactory quality (hydrogenated fats, palm oil and other low quality ingredients). I was not able to open my tray because the other passenger in front of me kept it in a slightly reclined position. Had to keep my drinks in my hands, not a problem for the Finnair stewardesses. On the plus side, we were served 'free' drinks twice, tea, coffee, water and the tasty blueberry juice. There was no gate arrival in Helsinki, despite the many vacant gates, but a relatively long bus transfer. After 34 hours of travel, a gate arrival would have been welcome.
RouteMadrid to Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"low-cost carrier charging premium prices"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Several flights with Finnair, the following in 2018: HEL-DEL-HEL three times, HEL-SIN-HKG-HEL, HEL-SIN-BKK-HEL, HEL-GVA-HEL, HEL-BUD-HEL, HEL-ARN-HEL etc.etc. for work and for leisure. Finnair - being the monopoly in Finland - has turned out to be a low-cost carrier charging premium prices giving null added-value for Gold Members like ourselves. Lounges frequently under construction - be it the EU or non-Schengen area - with apologies after apologies after apologies, no real customer support available ("please fill in the form online" and similar rubbish time and again). The Finnair employees - or emplyed by a subsidiary - have no clue whatsoever how to handle seasoned travellers like ourselves except for giving apologies for non-existent services that should be there for a four-star airline in the lounge and in the air. Right now waiting for a flight to Singapore in a packed lounge - surprise, under construction again - having drinks in plastic cups and awkward food with plastic cutlery. Very happy to welcome Emirates (or their subsidiary FlyDubai), Qatar Airways etc. in Helsinki to restore the trust in flying with an esteemed airline that cares for its customers. Absolutely shameful for Finnair, really. Why don't you outsourse yourselves completely? What's the point in managing things badly time and again.
AircraftA350-900
RouteHelsinki to Singapore
Date FlownOctober 2018

"definitely recommend Finnair"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Brussels to Bangkok via Helsinki. All flights on time, very polite and nice cabin crew, clean aircraft. I checked in online and i got a seat in economy comfort on the Hel-Bkk flight. The food was also good and many drinks are offered. I would definitely recommend Finnair and would fly with them again.
AircraftA319 / A330-300
RouteBrussels to Bangkok via Helsinki
Date FlownOctober 2018

"the experience was smooth and enjoyable"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Premium Economy on Finnair is one of the better deals in the air. The legroom is nice, the seats are comfortable (though the same seats as regular economy) the headrests are useful for sleeping, the hour of free wifi is fun, and the noise reducing headphones are superb. Don't forget to order the Blueberry Juice-it's half the reason I get excited about a Finnair trip. The downside: the food isn't as good as you would expect, and there's not as much as on most of the competitors. Changing planes in Helsinki is not a great experience, as the airport is really not designed to manage crowds the size that flow through each day. This specific flight was was smooth, the A350 is a great aircraft-quiet and spacious. The entertainment is good, not great. If you sleep a bit on the flights you'll probably not run out of things to entertain you. The staff were the right combination of attentive but not doting. I checked in online and didn't check a bag, so I have no idea how the ground teams performed, but everything else about the experience was smooth and enjoyable.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBangkok to Amsterdam via Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"you don’t even get a beer"

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Frankfurt. A low quality airline. Plane was obviously older, as well as interiors. Service is very slim, you don’t even get a beer on international flights in economy class. Cannot recommend at all..
RouteHelsinki to Frankfurt

"poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Helsinki. Lost baggage and lost article with poor customer service. I had delayed baggage and was told they would cover 70 euro per day, I had flown in for meetings and had to buy cloths, 2 days later at the end of the day my bag arrived. Over a month later still no reimbursement. After multiple calls and telling me to be patient, I doubt they will do anything besides hope I just go away. When I go to the site with my case # there is no record available, they have purged my data from their customer care site. I also let an iPad in the seat pocket, within 1.5 hours of deplaning, I filed a claim, paid $39 and have received the exact same level of service. The flight was fine, customer service was poor.
RouteChicago to Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2018

"never fly again with Finnair"

(Lithuania)

Trip Verified | Chicago to Vilnius via Helsinki. Finnair couldn't change my flight date. Then flight was delayed for a two hours. I came to the airport and they gave me additional flight with two stops. My original was with one stop. To one connecting flight I had to run because it was less time for connection. And for another connecting flight I had to wait for 4 hours. Was very frustrating.. I will never fly again with Finnair.
RouteChicago to Vilnius via Helsinki

"WiFi was not working"

Not Verified | Helsinki to Chicago O'Hare. The flight was 50 minutes late but that probably wasn't the airlines fault. My main criticism was the fact that there was less than 12 inches between seats in the last section of the plane, 3rd row. I am a woman size 8 and I could not reach my purse under the seat ahead of me. We had to clutch the seat in front of us which was of course irritating to them when we used the restroom. I never recline my seat but when the seat ahead reclined I had no choice. The flight attendants were very efficient but it seemed we were in the wasteland because we got everything about one hour after the front part of Economy. Also the WiFi was not working which wasn't a huge inconvenience. Food was okay.
RouteHelsinki to Chicago O'Hare
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"frugal and sometimes stingy"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Tokyo Narita to Helsinki Vantaa on 4 Aug with AY72 and back on 12 Aug with AY71. On both legs I got into Business Class. Before booking them, I was quite surprised to know that Finnair has two daily services between NRT and HEL. My expectations for the flights mounted up, as I thought that they would offer in-flight services favorable to Japanese people. They belied me. Too frugal and sometimes stingy. They might say, “We think green, or we think of the protection of limited resources on earth. Thus we adopt the policy ‘No reading materials on board.’” I had never experienced Business Class with no newspaper available. They also say that some reading materials are available on web. Wi-fi is free for downloading the first one. The problem is that the selections are limited. Besides, on the outbound flight from NRT in-flight wi-fi was out of order. They contacted me on this matter one day before departing. No alternative solution was offered on the boarding day. No compensation whatever either. The same thing applied to their in-flight meals. I took beef steak for the main course. The portion was small. When I asked for soy sauce. I was told that it was not available. They don’t know that beef steak goes well with soy sauce, which is very popular among Japanese. Champagne remained not so cold after I asked one of flight attendants to chill it well. Still my complaint continues. I felt that their business class seats were narrower compared with those products ANA, JAL and Lufthansa offer. My verdict: To those who look forward to luxury in Business class, avoid flying with them. To environmentalists, support their policy. To Finnair, lastly, I hope devoutly that your services to Japan will not be finished.
RouteTokyo to Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2018

"attendants nice and friendly"

Trip Verified | Dusseldorf to Beijing via Helsinki. Checkin in Dusseldorf very slow, only one Staff at Counter. Must wait long time. During flight to Helsinki offered Coffee, Tea and water for free only. Transit in Helsinki fast and easy. Boarding on Time. Flight in A350 very quiet and Seat comfortable with good space for legs. Cabin, Toilet clean, Flight attendants nice and friendly. During this flight offered Asian and Western Meal and some of Wines and Drinks. Food is ok but not enough. Inflight entertainment not good choice. Ticket price over average.
AircraftA320 / A350-900