Finnair

"could have been better"

Trip Verified | London to Helsinki. I've always wanted to fly on an A350, and as this is a short, and relatively cheap route, this was my chance. I was very excited, check in was done online, security was OK. Boarding was done in groups, this was done well, and we all got on. We took off, the flight was nice, however Finnair does not provide complementary snacks or food, so I prefer ordered my meal, and they only gave us one drink for the 2:45 long flight, and this is not enough I believe. The crew also completely disappeared during the second half of the flight. Flight was ok, but why I would recommend this, is because of many perks of flying a long haul aircraft, like seat back entertainment screens, and USB charging points. Overall not bad, but could have been better
AircraftA350-900
RouteLondon to Helsinki
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"found the seats comfortable"

Trip Verified | Flying via HEL from GVA to KIX is an excellent routing as HEL is pretty much on the way. HEL is a great airport for connections and the transfers were well organized with very little waiting at either immigration (both ways) or security on the return journey. On the 320 from GVA to HEL the seating is the same as Economy class with an empty seat between passengers. We were served a hot meal which was fine (fairly typically Finnish). The 350 from HEL to KIX and back was a modern plane. I found the seats comfortable, though the tunnel for the legs is rather tight. The cabin crew on both flights were very pleasant, interacting with us in a very friendly fashion. The final flight from HEL to GVA was on an Embraer 190 and honestly the business class arrangement on that flight is very poor, with 2x2, the same as in economy. The plane was rather old, but clean and well-maintained.
AircraftA320 / A350 / A350 / E190
RouteGeneva to Kansai via Helsinki
Date FlownMarch 2019

"seats are substandard"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Helsinki. Never again Finnair! The food served is not even near the standards of Thai or Qatar and the service by the cabin crew reminds me of Aeroflot 30 years ago. The seats are substandard and really not comfortable - at least when you're above 6 feet. The only positive thing on this flight was that the plane was clean and the toilets well looked after .
RouteBangkok to Helsinki
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"throne seat was very comfortable"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Bangkok via Helsinki. Flights were on time and the A330 throne seat was very comfortable for the early morning departure from Helsinki. Food was satisfactory. I was fast tracked through security at Suvarnabhumi which is a bonus as frequent travelers will realise. Transfers in Helsinki were seamless and the lounge which was very near the gate was most comfortable with a range of drinks and food.
RouteManchester to Bangkok via Helsinki

"Not impressed"

Trip Verified | Paris - Helsinki (12:20pm). I was flying with my partner. The aircraft was boarding according to group allocation. We are certain our group (3) was not announced so we were last to board. We mentioned this when presenting our boarding passes only receiving a shoulder shrug. Seating was cramped. No inflight entertainment. There was very little room for my backpack in the overhead compartment. My partner had to place a backpack on the floor in front for the entire flight. We were given a free glass of water during the lunchtime flight, with a napkin. Gee ta. I guess it was assumed knowledge if you wanted something to eat during the flight you had to pre-order and pay. It says a lot about Finnair charging an elderly lady seated in front of us for a second drink - an apple juice. She had to pay using a credit card. Not impressed. Helsinki - Paris (16:05). Once again cramped seating. No overhead baggage space. Both backpacks were placed on the floor in front of us during the entire flight. Complimentary glass of water with napkin. No inflight entertainment. Arriving in Paris we disembarked the aircraft and were guided down what appeared to be emergency exit stairs. We waited 5 minutes in a freezing cold stairwell for a bus. It was roughly 15minutes before the bus left where we were driven 300 metres doing a U-turn and dropped off less than 100 metres from where we boarded the bus. Finnair would not credit points to our Qantas FF account, but had no problem crediting points to our Japan Airlines FF account for the Paris - Helsinki sector.
RouteHelsinki to Paris CDG

"I am satisfied"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Berlin. I am satisfied. Nothing to complain about. Seat distance is fine, even one of the highest in Europe. Delays are rather uncommon, but happen during the winter snow season every now and then, due to heavy snowfall in Finland.
RouteHelsinki to Berlin
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"left behind by the plane"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Helsinki. The ground service people were terrible and irresponsible. The flight was delayed and they forgot to display the check in counter desk number on the Airport LCD. Even when I asked them, they did not tell the check in desk counter number until I was left behind by the plane leaving for Helsinki from Copenhagen. When I complained, they believed that their ground staff had put the flight information on the LCD board and believed that it was my mistake for not looking at the LCD board.
RouteCopenhagen to Helsinki
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"stick with Qatar Airways"

Trip Verified | The first time I have attempted to use Finnair has been a disaster. I got to Heathrow to see on the departures board that my flight to Singapore, via Helsinki, had been cancelled. Even though Finnair had my mobile, and email, they had not made contact to let me know. I had however had several messages reminding me to check in online, which I had done. The man on the check in desk was very rude, and offered no apology, or explanation for this. I was told that I had been put on a BA flight departing from a different terminal. If Finnair had made contact I could have been dropped at the right terminal. I am now left to struggle on my own, with a bad back, 3 suitcases, and no trolley to terminal 5. I have emailed a complaint to Finnair, but no one has bothered to reply. I will not be booking any flights with Finnair again, and will stick with Qatar Airways who are a pleasure to fly with.
RouteLondon to Singapore via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"they did not offer me any options"

Trip Verified | Only by chance did I find out that my flight from New Delhi to Dehradun was cancelled and I have to spend 9 hours extra in ND. Not only did Finnair not email me about this change (the last confirmation 2 days ago showed everything on schedule) they did not offer me any options. No rebooking to another airline (even the partner airline Jet Airways), no compensation. There is no possibility for any other option than to accept the delay. Customer service was polite but absolutely not taking any responsibility.
RouteHelsinki to Dehradun via Delhi
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Good seating, enough legroom"

Trip Verified | Tallinn to Helsinki with Finnair. Check in pretty disrupted due to passengers who were searching something in their suitcases and blocked all the counters (esp. priority check in). That took more than 10 minutes. Staff were not very friendly. Lounge was small but OK, decent choice of food and drinks. Nice view on the tarmac. Bus transportation to the plane. A 'ballistic flight', no more than 25 minutes. Good seating, enough legroom, also for longer people. No service during the flight, which is perfectly fine given the short duration of the flight. At Helsinki airport also bus transportation was arranged. The airport itself is a mass, small corridors with a huge number of people trying to find their way.
AircraftATR 72-500 / Nordic regional airlines