Finnair

"will think twice before flying with Finnair again"

Not Verified | This was my first trip on this airline, the food served was decent. Apart from two flight attendants who were very pleasant, I found the rest of the staff very unpleasant to deal with. Especially on my return flight from Warsaw to Helskini on Wednesday morning, August 14th when the plane was delayed twice. I merely wanted to know if I could make my connecting flight from Helskini back to Chicago, the desk attendant by the gate was very rude and acted like he had a chip on his shoulders, he snapped at me, saying, the airline felt I could make my flight. I had no response especially to rude people like him. If it were not for customers like me he would probably not have a job! I would have loved to give this airline a 5 rating. But, I will think twice before flying with Finnair again.
RouteChicago to Helskini via Warsaw
Date FlownAugust 2019

"were upgraded to business class"

Not Verified | Bangkok to Helsinki. My husband and I were upgraded to business class on our leg from Bangkok to Helsinki and we had the most enjoyable flight ever. Service was 6 stars as was the food and the flight. Never have I enjoyed the in house entertainment enough not worry about sleep was too much to do. And those headphones, you couldn’t hear a thing in the background, simply wonderful. Thank you Finnair you made our journey amazing, keep up the good work.
RouteBangkok to Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2019

"long lines for baggage drop off"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Helsinki. Amount of ground personnel is far below requirement. Very long lines for baggage drop off which makes it difficult to get through security and be on time for boarding. Not the first time, but Finnair does not seem to change.
RouteAmsterdam to Helsinki

"a neglectful/despicable attitude"

Trip Verified | St Petersburg to Chicago via Helsinki with Finnair. Requested an aisle seat due to a physical/health condition. They replaced it with a middle seat without any notice or any explanation in Helsinki. I found out when the scanner would not let me get on the plane rejecting my boarding pass - a total disrespect and a neglectful/despicable attitude towards me as a passenger. The place between the rows is ridiculous when the seat in front of you is reclined - if you need to go to the bathroom, you have to tell the person in front of you to put the seat back up. Otherwise you won't be able to get up on your feet.
RouteSt Petersburg to Chicago via Helsinki

"Excellent customer service"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Delhi via Helsinki. Wonderful service, airplane was comfortable. I was going to miss my connection due to a delayed flight, and they put me on the next flight to ensure the timing lined up correctly. Excellent customer service. Food was good. No complaints for the money paid.
RouteDelhi to Toronto via Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2019

"have filled in 4 times a claim"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | I flew Brussels to Tokyo via Helsinki return Long departure delay because the fuel gauge was not showing well; They tried to fix it, but since they were not sure on the instruments reliability, they added some fuel. Basic cabin service. Freezing cold in the airplane: from Brussels to Helsinki, and the same from Helsinki to Tokyo; my wife had to cover her nose/mouth with a sweater, for not getting cold. But the worst about this airline is their Customer Service: I have filled in 4 times a claim on the web site before I received a (negative) answer. I also called them 5 times: you always speak to an employee from Bulgaria who just reads you the plain regulation: no empathy, no concern, no interest for the Customer's worries and problems... Each time when I called, I asked to speak to the Manager: no chance.
RouteBrussels to Tokyo via Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2019

"exhausting, tiring and unpleasant"

Trip Verified | London to Riga via Helsinki. This was my first and last time flying Finnair. Our flight AY1332 departed LHR 1.5 hours late due to a so called technical problem with the aircraft. We arrived into Helsinki Airport late and missed our connecting flight to Riga. We were transferred to a much later flight with Air Baltic arriving 7 hours late in Riga. The whole episode was very stressful and tiring.Just when we thought our nightmare was over the return journey was no better. The flight AY1076 from Riga to Helsinki was delayed due to the late inbound flight. The connection time between flights was only 35 mins. We were worried of missing out Helsinki to Heathrow flight. We arrived 20 minutes late into Helsinki at gate 10 and our departing flight AY1339 to Heathrow was leaving in 20 minutes from gate 44a. We had to run from gate 10 to gate 44a and just made it in time even though they had delayed the flight for us by 15 minutes. It was a very long and tiring walk between gates and my mother who is 77 years old nearly collapsed. Firstly, the were no Finnair staff to meet us and help us to gate 44a and secondly we should have been provided with a buggy to take us from gate 10 to gate 44a and it is a very very long walk. The whole experience of flying with Finnair was very stressful, exhausting, tiring and unpleasant. Some of Finnair's connecting times between flight are unrealistic and very ambitious. Finnair have lost my custom as well as custom from my family and friends.
AircraftA350 / ATR-72
RouteLondon to Riga via Helsinki
Date FlownJuly 2019

"service of the crew is nice"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | It is a short haul flight from Helsinki to London. The aircraft type is A321. The service of the crew is nice. You can see a smile on the flight attendant. It is convenient to have Wi-Fi on the plane. The comfort of the seat is very ordinary or quite bad. There is no headrest. The food which is free is not provided and they only provide few drinks. It is acceptable that they don't provide personal televisions for the passengers because it is a short haul flight. Finally, it is fine for you to travel less than 4 hours but if you travel more than 4 hours, it is unbearable.
RouteHelsinki to London
Date FlownAugust 2018

"last time I will travel with Finnair"

Trip Verified | Flew Business Class from Sydney to Hong KJong with Qantas, and then Finnair to Geneva via Helsinki. When I arrived in Geneva I found my new hardshell suitcase worth over $490 had been rendered unusable with 2 large holes the size of my fist in the shell. The bag was photographed and reported immediately at the arrival destination airport. Under International rules the last carrier is responsible for damage to luggage so I put in a claim to Finnair. It took Finnair nearly six weeks to even respond to my baggage claim after multiple attempts by me and my travel agent (emails and Phone calls). They demanded the bag be inspected by an accredited baggage representative before they would even make a decision (at a cost to me of $60 which they refused to cover). It was deemed irreparable and unusable for luggage. The decision was made to replace the bag. This was eventually handed over to a Czech Baggage company called DOLFI 1920 - (what a dysfunctional company). Even though they are a re-seller of the bag that was damaged they refused to supply the same hard shell bag. They decided I was to receive a Samsonite soft bag worth 2/3 of my new bag. They claimed to have despatched the replacement bag, but tracking scanning shows it leaving Czech and never to be seen again. Months later it has not arrived in Australia and is not held up here in customs. The Postal Service has told me that after this length of time that the bag is lost and Dolfi should raise a lost bag claim. I have rung Dolfi1920 - they refuse to do this. They claim their obligation is finished. I rang Finnair and was told their obligation was finished when they handed the contract to Dolfi - I am out of pocket over $500 dollars. I fly to Europe 2 or 3 times a year in Business. This was the first time with Finnair. This is the last time I will travel with Finnair.
RouteHong Kong Geneva via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"crew were enthusiastic, polite and efficient"

Trip Verified | AY131 from Helsinki to Singapore was delayed by over an hour due to some technical problems. However, we arrived only 35 minutes behind schedule due to strong tailwinds. The crew on this flight were enthusiastic, polite and efficient. They are not employees of Finnair but outsourced cabin crew managed by OSM Aviation. Therefore they were Singaporean. Upon boarding, I was offered the Finnair signature mocktail bilberry juice. Dinner followed. I made a special order for the Chef Gourmet meal - the main course was reindeer steak which tasted good. I settled in for a continuous sleep of 6 hours before waking up for breakfast. I ordered the granola which was served with yoghurt in addition to the egg and sausages. The selection of inflight movies was however limited. Not that I minded but this is certainly an area where Finnair could improve on. The cabin crew on this sector were a tad better than the team for the SIN-HEL sector which I took on 5 July.
AircraftA350 XWB