Finnair

"was too hot in the cabin" JJ

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Hong Kong. We were excited to try their business class, but not a big experience. I found the seat narrow, and when i put it down as a bed, it was uncomfortable, but manage to find an ok position. It was too hot in the cabin all night, so it was hard to sleep. The entertainment system is ok, no more, they have made playlists for you, so you cannot listen to albums. It seems like the choice of movies are for the Chinese market. When we came on board we were offered a choice between champagne and some kind of juice, i got a small glass of champagne, the stewardess never came back and asked if a wanted a refill. Same happened during dinner, then when i pushed the service button, she came. We did not get menus, and it was not easy to hear what we could choose from for dinner. I heard the word lamb, so i chose that dish, and it was good. The flight was one hour late out of Helsinki, we waited for some late arriving passengers, when they arrived we waited another 20 minutes for the loading of the last containers. The camera they had in the tail fin was nice, both during waiting and takeoff in Helsinki, and during landing in Hong Kong.
AircraftA350-900
RouteHelsinki to Hong Kong

"Pretty basic product"

(China)

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Guangzhou economy. Pretty basic product. First meal service after take off with small portions and one or maybe two glasses of wine. Complimentary soft drinks throughout. IFE basic. Crew pleasant. Lack of toilets on A350 economy is a real issue. Seats small but comfortable. Cheap ticket.
RouteHelsinki to Guangzhou
Date FlownJuly 2019

"two delays with Finnair in 2018"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Generally, Finnair is a good airline when it comes to on-board service and security. What really doesn't work is the way their customer service handles delays. I had two delays with Finnair in 2018. In both instances, I had to stay in Helsinki overnight (a hotel room in the vicinity of HEL Airport was provided ), but when the question of compensation according to EU-legislation came up, Finnair continues to do everything possible to avoid payment. My flight from Tallin to HEL in August 2018 was due on a Friday at noon, which would have made it possible to catch the onward flight to VIE on Friday evening. In Tallinn, aproximately 24 hours before departure (Thursday at around 1 p.m.), I received a phone call from Finnair customer service, telling me that my flight the next day was cancelled, no reasons mentioned. The only solution was to book me on next day's evening flight from Tallinn to HEL, which meant that I would miss the connecting flight and would have to spend the night at a hotel at the airport. I claimed the compensation due according European regulations (EUR 250 in this case). Finnair declined to pay the compensation because the flight was allegedly cancelled due to "extraordinary reasons". The extraordinary reasons, I was told, were "unexpected heavy traffic" at HEL airport and construction works on the runway. Yet, construction work is legally never considered an "extraordinary condition" as it is foreseeable; and due to the fact that flight was cancelled the day before, "unexpected high level of traffic" (on the next day) is impossible for obvious logical reasons. I recommend Finnair as an airline, but be prepared for a lengthy process if you insist on compliance with European rules concerning delays.
RouteTallin to Vienna via Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2018

"felt that the crew were trying to rush"

Trip Verified | There are 32 business class seats on this Finnair A350 XWB arranged in a 1-2-1 reverse herringbone configuration. In typical Nordic style, Finnair's business cabin is functional with clean lines and light blue and white pastel colours reflecting the corporate colours of the airline - none of the dazzling bling seen in some Middle Eastern airlines. It is not the most luxurious of cabin interiors, but is comfortable enough. There are no overhead bins above the center row seats which gives the cabin a more roomy feel. The amenity kit, pillow and duvet are designed by award-winning Finnish design house, Marimekko known worldwide for its simple and original prints and colours while the glassware and tableware are by Finnish glassware company Iittala Ultima Thule. Finnair’s cabin crew for its service between Singapore and Helsinki are outsourced Singapore-based crew managed by OSM Aviation. All cabin crew on this flight including the senior purser are Singaporeans. OSM Aviation manages crew payroll, scheduling and other HR functions. In other words this flight sector is a European airline with Asian crew. Service was efficient but I felt that the crew were trying to rush through the dinner service in order to go to sleep. Business class passengers had one hour of continuous wifi access free of charge. The speed of the connection was decent but one hour before landing into Helsinki, wifi was unavailable. Flight AY132 is operated by the newest A350 XWB to be delivered to Finnair. Two years of age and bearing the registration OH-LWL, it sports the Marimekko livery comprising blue polka dots and is powered by 2 Rolls Royce Trent engines. The cabin is configured in with 32 business, 42 premium economy and 262 economy seats.
AircraftA350-900
RouteSingapore to Helsinki

"worst possible airline"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Tuesday 2 Jul I flew from Oslo to Athens via Helsinki. I checked my baggage on the OSL airport that was not that busy at all, I checked my baggage two hours before flying time but the flight was delayed 1 hour. I arrived Helsinki delayed and the crew staff told me that I have to run because my flight was waiting for me. I came running into the airplane, everybody was seating and looking strange at me because they were delayed, over 100 people just because of my flight. (both legs were Finnair) I arrived Athens but without my bag that remained back in Helsinki. I made instantly a report and told them that I have my marriage on friday and I really need my bag that have my clothes and stuff also for the special occasion. They said you have a PIR code now, call us back - I am calling them continuously since then, they have never picked up the phone (Finnair department in the Greek airport). I called Finnish department and I told them about the extraordinary occasion and I want it as fast as possible even If I have to pay express. They told me the next same flight is on Friday morning (Tuesday to Friday with the marriage on Friday afternoon) and there is not anything they can do. I told them this is not acceptable because I cannot make it, I need it faster or compensation. All I got was a reassurance that they will ship it same day with an other airline through other airport with great risk to get completely lost. I told them that the risk is yours not mine, and if it gets lost you will compensate me. Anyway, it is Thursday now, no bag to be found, called them back and they told me rudely my bag will come on Friday! They cannot do anything about my case and they are sorry. No compensation no nothing. So saying they will ship it with some other airline to get it faster was a lie. Awful experience, worst possible airline in the Scandinavian area. The flights were delayed, both legs even though the second because of my flight, the airplanes are old, no food 3.4 hours flight just a tea. Comfort was normal level, nothing bad nothing good. Lies on the telephone. It doesnt get worse than that.
RouteOslo to Athens via Helsinki
Date FlownJuly 2019

"never fly with Finnair again"

Trip Verified | Oslo to Helsinki. My family and I were in Europe for vacation and we were scheduled to fly from Oslo to Helskinki on the morning of July 2nd 2019. Although our flights were booked 4 months in advance all 4 of my family members were placed on standby. As the flight continued to board we were placed lower and lower on the standby list. At the end of the boarding process we were told that there was 1 open seat and our group of four would have to be split up. We disputed this option and the gate attendant was hostile and tried to bully one of us into taking the open seat. Hindsight it is a good thing no one did take that seat because the next flight to Helsinki was not for another 9 hours. We will never fly with Finnair again and if you enjoy being with your family when you’re on vacation, I suggest you do the same. Thanks!
RouteOslo to Helsinki
Date FlownJuly 2019

"We had the worst experience"

Trip Verified | We had the worst experience with Finnair and we will make sure to never fly with this airline again. We flew from Helsinki to New York with my 9 month old daughter how is severely allergic to all tree nuts, eggs and sesame (she has been hospitalized because of her allergies). Originally we booked our flight through British Airways, but it was operated by Finnair. British Airways were aware of my daughters allergies and it was all in the system for everyone to see. When I approached Finnair staff, they told me they see the allergy note in the system, however they don't have to do anything from their side. I asked if they could make an announcement, they said that their airline does not make any announcements regarding allergies. I then asked if one of the flight attendants could ask people that are sitting next to us not to eat nuts. They said "we won't do it because if passengers have nuts with them they have the right to eat them". That's correct, however I just wanted for people sitting next to us be aware that there is a baby who can literally die from inhaling dust from nuts. Their response was "we won't ask or tell anyone anything, but you can do it yourself". Which I did. And people were understanding and luckily they didn't have nuts with them on the plane. I was also told that if I don't want, I don't have to board the plane. But then I asked what are my choices, they said you can book another flight in a couple of weeks. After boarding was completed, the chief purser approached us and told us again that they can't help me in any way and now that I boarded it is my full responsibility if something were to happen and that they will continue to serve nuts on the plane. I wasn't complaining, I was only asking for help and no one, no one did anything to care or help.
RouteHelsinki to New York
Date FlownJune 2019

"told me to move to another seat"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Helsinki. Booked this trip and seat in advance in business class. Scanned my boarding pass and it show 1C which was the seat I had chosen. Entered the plane to find that someone else had occupied my seat. Told the crew and they just told me to move to another seat. I flew business, have Oneworld Sapphire status and they did this to me. Wish someone had told me before I boarded the plane.
RouteStockholm to Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2019

"a fantastic short flight"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Stockholm with Finnair. What a fantastic short flight! Started a bit early and arrived ahead of schedule. The captain sounded like a nice chap and the purser and the other FA in front were just amazing! Extremely service-minded and friendly on this short hop.
RouteHelsinki to Stockholm
Date FlownJune 2019

"stewardess was speaking so loudly"

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Singapore. I am disappointed with the flight attendants on AY131 from Helsinki to Singapore on 8 June 2019. In particular, one of the air stewardess was speaking so loudly in Mandarin at the back of the plane during takeoff and landing. It was really late at night and the passengers would appreciate if the cabin crew could keep quiet and let us rest! FinnAir needs to relook into the crew's training!
RouteHelsinki to Singapore