Finnair

"never again Finnair"

Trip Verified | Flying during Covid we knew would be a challenge and our expectation were very low. But it did not even reach the lowest of all possible standards. It started with Finnair moving out departure from Hong Kong from shortly after midnight to late morning, resulting in us having to spend a night in Hong Kong airport (immigration into HKG was not allowed). OK we thought, we are flying business class so surely Finnair would ensure a business class lounge would be open. What a mistake, we ended up sleeping in the airport waiting area. After we made it on the flight from Hong Kong to Helsinki we were asked for our choice for lunch to be served in a few hours. So by lunch time we were told that they run out of our lunch choice. Only being about 5 people in the business class, we found that very strange and asked again. We were then told that the cockpit crew ate our lunch. In Finnair, it is important that the employees do get their choice of food and the full paying customers get what is left. The trip went on with some more appalling events and even when we complaint later to their customer care, not even an explanation and apology was provided. Well, we have learnt our lesson, never again Finnair.
RouteHong Kong to Zurich via Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2020

"I was surprised how good the seat was"

Not Verified | Helsinki Vantaa to Ivalo. It was a short flight so I can't tell you much. And I can't even tell you more than that because I fell asleep after take-off to just before landing in Ivalo. Anyway, as soon as a sat down in seat 11B, I was surprised how good the seat was. They didn't have drinks or anything but it was fine.
AircraftA319-100
RouteHelsinki Vantaa to Ivalo
Date FlownNovember 2019

"still a quality airline even in Corona-times"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Return flight to Rome from Helsinki in Business class. The service was pretty good with full meal service and drinks (in Iittala glasses) were available throughout the flight. Just don’t understand the closure of the toilet in front. Had to walk all the way to the aft lavatory from my seat in the first row, ridiculous. Finnair is still a quality airline even in Corona-times.
AircraftEmbraer
RouteHelsinki to Rome
Date FlownAugust 2020

"amount back on my bank account within 4 weeks"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Several intra-European return flights (incl. MUC and ZRH) over June-July-August 2020. Reduced services on board due to Covid-19, however, a cheese sandwich with non-alcoholic drinks in Economy and a hot meal with drinks in Business seem to be the new normal. Wearing a mask is mandatory at all times on board, which seems to have caused problems to some passengers who don't wish to wear a mask. Finnair Covid-19 policy has been up to mark on all these sectors in June-July-August 2020 we've been on with an on time performance and solid - if reduced - service on their ATR72, E190, A319 and A321. In addition, had to cancel one intra-European flight in June due to tighter Covid-19 restrictions by the government, and the full amount was back on my bank account within 4 weeks. Helsinki Airport is utter chaos year after year, but that's another story.
RouteMunich to Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2020

"do not wish to fly with again"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | I requested a refund for my canceled trip to Japan, due to corona virus. Finnair decided to send me a voucher instead and an email telling me to be patient and that they where working on my money-refund, but suggested that took the voucher. Their webpage also said to be patient and not to contact them - due to corona there was a large number of refund cases. And they send me one more mail, telling me that they are still working on my refund. I was supposed to go to Japan in mid April, the last mail came mid June. Today i decided that I could no longer wait for my refund and I called finnair. They told me that the case was closed and I would not get my money back, because I waited too long. This is so not okay - when they send me emais telling me NOT to call or contact them and stay patient. So dissapointed that I now have 2100 dollar (14000 dkk) voucher for Finnair that I really do not wish to fly with again, under any circumstance.
Date FlownApril 2020

"disappointed with the airline"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Bangkok to London via Helsinki. I'm disappointed with the airline that didn't give a time frame long enough to change our flight due to travel restrictions from Covid-19. The airline waves the fee to change the flight only till November 30 2020. Our flight was in March 2020. Many airlines offered more time flexibility until the end of 2021. We didn't have a choice so I have to pay €100 extra for the fee.
AircraftA359 / A333
RouteBangkok to London via Helsinki
Date FlownMarch 2020

"Good service although very minimum"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Dubai to Helsinki. Good service although very minimum because of corona. I really appreciate that airline cares about their staff and thus there was only sandwich and water offered so that the crew will be protected more efficiently. Overall 7 hours flew quickly. Very calm flight and although left a bit late (because of me and some other customers) the plane arrived 15 minutes prior.
RouteDubai to Helsinki
Date FlownMarch 2020

"phoned the airline for almost 3 hours"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | I booked a flight from London to Hong Kong. Unfortunately, the flight got canceled 2 days prior to my departure. This is the first time for me to fly with Finnair, however, I have lost confidence in booking another flight with Finnair. I have also phoned the airline for almost 3 hours now and no one picked up. I am very disappointed with my experience.
RouteLondon to Hong Kong via Helsinki
Date FlownMarch 2020

"They don't wish to compensate"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | My flight from Helsinki to Moscow on 26 Feb was planned for 17:35, and first was delayed for 15 minutes due to a ground workers strike, then it was delayed for 2 hours, and eventually I had to wait for the flight until 2 am, with around 2 hours spent in the waiting line to the customer desk. The customer desk printed a new boarding pass and provided the passengers with a 17 EUR voucher, while a salad in the nearest cafe at the airport costs 18.50 EUR, so the voucher looked more like an insult. Also, manager at the customer desk assured me that my luggage will be loaded on my flight and is flying with me, which turned out to be a lie: there was no luggage loaded on the plane at all, and every passenger had to wait in another line upon arrival to fill a bunch of papers at the customs. We had to wait two more days until the luggage arrived. Any compensation for the flight delay and failed luggage delivery was denied as Finnair state the EC Regulation 261/2004, where a strike is a force majeure situation. They don't wish to compensate anything.
RouteHelsinki to Moscow
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"still waiting for the refund"

Trip Verified | London to Tel Aviv via Helsinki. After paying for the ticket, a week later I realised that I don't really want to fly. I called Finnair, and at first they told me about a week to 10 days. I decided to wait, after a week with no refund I call again this time they said a week to 10 business day, a week later they said because the corona outbreak it may take 20 business days. I'm still waiting for the refund.
RouteLondon to Tel Aviv via Helsinki