EVA Air

"I did enjoy my flight"

Trip Verified | With so much praise has been given to EVA Air's Royal Laurel Class, I was looking forward to my flight to Bangkok. The experience began at the check-in desk, which was swift and friendly. The boarding was also methodically carried out, with business class passengers invited first. The cabin has a 1x2x1 layout with a reverse herringbone configuration, and mine by the window. The decor was pleasant, with olive green, shades of grey and brown colours. The seat itself looked cosy and comfortable. Settling down, I took a moment to explore the settings. The armrest could be lifted or lowered. There was the usual adjustable reading lamp and areas for storing small items and drinks. The seat adjustments at first looked complicated, but I eventually got the hang of it. The TV monitor was set at an angle opposite and had to be clipped open to be viewed. Headphones were also in their own compartment. The fold-out table was especially large and sturdy. Good quality slippers, Jason Wu designer pyjamas and a decent amenity kit were also provided. PJs were really welcome and should be standard on long-haul journeys. Once boarding was complete, pre-departure drinks came. When I requested Champagne, I was told it is prosecco for now, but champagne with supper. Seemed rather odd! At cruising altitude, the 'supper' service began. The menu was displayed on the monitor, and there was a good selection of soft drinks, spirits, wines, and teas. I had pre-ordered my main course for both 'supper' and 'refreshment' meals. The seafood main course of tiger prawns, with cashews in a spicy bean sauce, vegetables, and rice was delicious. But the choice of wine was just red or white. For afters, it was cheese and biscuits, with walnuts and pieces of fruit. However, I was disappointed to see a branded package of mini Jacobs crackers - it just cheapened the presentation. In my experience, biscuits and crackers should be served loose. The service was rather rushed, with no drinks refills unless asked for. I also had to ask for a coffee before tucking into sleep. Once 'supper' was over, the cabin crew just retreated to the galley area until two hours before landing, when a 'refreshment meal' was served. My main course was an Asian affair - noodles with shrimp won ton, char siew pork and other dim sum items which was tasty, and this time asked for champagne and got it. EVA Air offers an excellent business class hard product. The cabin crew, although polite, were just not engaging. The was a lack of proper etiquette and finesse when serving food and drink or attending to passengers. However, it did not deter me and I did enjoy my flight all the way to Bangkok.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Bangkok
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"a horrible flight for me"

Trip Verified | Taipei to San Francisco. My flight was on August 18 2022 on BR 18 from Taipei to san Francisco I have a condition called OAB (over active bladder) and that's why I always wanted to sit near the lavatory because I always have to empty my bladder every 30 mins. On that flight I was on 73H last row, aisle sit right side and behind me was the lavatory. Since I got into the plane I rushed to the lavatory behind my seat and it was occupied. I waited for 15 mins and a flight crew approached me and told me to just use the lavatory on the other side and that was fine with me since it was vacant. But mid flight I noticed every time I went to that lavatory it was always occupied and I was forced to use the left side lavatory or on the lavatory on the middle part of the plane. But one time I caught a flight crew came out on that lavatory behind me and as soon as she came out she suddenly locked the lavatory from outside and make it appear that it was occupied but nobody was using it and the reason they are locking it from outside so that nobody can use that lavatory except for them (crew). It was a horrible flight for me because I badly need to use a lavatory to empty my bladder I have one behind me but that crew on that flight are using it exclusively so I have to use the other side but it always had a long line or the lavatory on the middle part of the plane which is too far from my seat.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteTaipei to San Francisco
Date FlownAugust 2022

"crews were somewhat attentive"

Not Verified | Pros: Food is OK and most crews were somewhat attentive. Cons: less selection of movies and music Issue: I usually made multiple trips (every two hours) to restroom, unfortunately EVA air assigned me the window seat and I couldn't change it during check-in. After took off, I realized that there were some aisle seats not been taken, so I requested a flight attendant whether I could change my window to aisle. She told me that there was no aisle seat available. I ended up begging my neighbor passengers for five times to go to restroom. Most of the times they were sleeping and I really hated doing that. It would be better if the flight attendant provided me the reason why she could not assign me an aisle seat when some are available instead of rudely denying and walking away.
RouteHouston to Taipei
Date FlownAugust 2022

"did nothing to compensate the loss"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | I paid for a reservation of a specific seat and they confirmed with my online ticket. After arriving at the airport i received a ticket for a different seat. After approaching the staff about this, he pretty much told me that this is my problem and he wasn't going to do anything about it. Once again it was a paid seat and they did nothing to compensate the loss for me.
RouteVienna to Bangkok
Date FlownAugust 2022

"entertainment is not what it used to be"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Eva Air's slogan 'Striving for Perfection' is a strong strap line yet standards have fallen since Covid. I have used Eva on the London to Bangkok route since they started flying from Gatwick in 1994. Unfortunately my first post Covid flight there are a number of issues which need to be addressed. The In-Flight entertainment is not what it used to be with limited choice and a really difficult navigation issue where one has to select ones mood before a small choice appears. Food was mediocre and the vegetarian bread roll is served cold yet standard fayre comes with a hot roll. The evening meal was excellent with fresh salmon and potatoes but my breakfast hash was disgusting.
RouteLondon to Bangkok
Date FlownJuly 2022

"no apology or compensation given"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | We are flying back to Taiwan and I unfortunately got covid, which resulted in a 300 pound change fee. Just before our next flight my wife got covid and this time we were charged almost 800 pounds. I understand there may be a change fee, but they added the cost of the flight at that time, rather than what we originally paid. The customer service team were neither helpful or sympathetic to our situation. They simply said they could waive the change fee of 75 pounds with a positive PCR test. As we know a PCR fit to fly costs well over 100 pounds. The logic and competence shown was awful. We have now paid over 1,100 extra with no apology or compensation given. Also, as they are only flying once a week, we have had to delay work for two weeks. Never will I fly with this airline again. I would have been fine with paying the flight change fee, but to add an additional cost of 800 pounds is an insult.
RouteTaipei to London
Date FlownJune 2022

"not give back 100% of the ticket"

Trip Verified | Beware of cancelation fees even when the airline canceled your ticket. My ticket for April 2022 got canceled due to the new covid policy issued by Taiwan government. Still the airline will not give you back 100% of the ticket. Hence i rebooked another ticket again thinking it was just 1 plane got canceled. And immediately canceled that ticket in an 1 hour stretch. Airline refused my cancelation request and charged me penalty.
RouteVancouver to Ho Chi Minh City via Taipei
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"not tell me what my refund would be"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | EVA Air is a great airline, in the air, less so when there is a problem on the ground. My return to Taipei from Chicago was cancelled three times (September 4, 6, 9).. I believe that they could do better in customer service, particularly in rescheduling. On Friday, I called about my cancelled flight; the phone rep did not suggest any alternative itineraries (I can't wait two weeks for the ORD route to open up). I suggested flying through Houston instead of Chicago. The rep told me that my new flight plans would not be confirmed until Monday (and that there may or may not be a fee for changing my itinerary). I decided today to cancel and fly another airline. The representative could not tell me what my refund would be. She instructed me to email the EVA office in Chicago and they would let me know when they get back to work after the holiday. The website and app are adequate for booking a ticket, but seem worthless to deal with any problems. And, if the app/website is worthless for rebooking, why can't the phone reps give firm answers about rebooking and fees?
RouteChicago to Taipei
Date FlownJune 2021

"layover transit ban in Taipei"

Trip Verified | Be wary of purchasing tickets for EVA air flights. The lower fare belies the issue with the layover transit ban in Taipei. Although a small screen on a page will alert you to this ban, it states that the ban will be in effect for only a month (until Aug 31, 2021 as of this writing). Some people are willing to risk having their flight canceled. However Taipei has a history of extending this ban every 30 days since May 2021. If we had known that Taipei had a record of protracting their transit ban, we would not have purchased this ticket. Ultimately, we canceled our booking, paid the $120.00 surcharge and booked a direct flight with another airline out of LAX just for peace of mind.
RouteChicago to Cebu via Taipei
Date FlownAugust 2021

"only about 60% will be refunded"

Not Verified | Me and my wife booked flights on May 5, 2021 for May 14 to June 2, 2021 round trip tickets from Edmonton to the Philippines this coming May 14, 2021. Because of the new rules imposed by the government of the Philippines to incoming travellers, we decided to just cancel our trip. We requested a refund from Eva Air but we were surprised that only about 60% will be refunded in 5-10 days. We’re still waiting for the return of the money. Almost 40% penalty charges is just too much. We feel like this is taking undue advantage especially at this time of the pandemic. Eva Air should be more compassionate to their customers. A 20% cancellation penalty is more acceptable. We’re very disappointed but what can we do. We will just wait for the refund and learn from it.
RouteEdmonton to Cebu via Taipei