Etihad Airways

"No one has got back to me"

Trip Verified | At Etihad Check-In at Sydney airport I was told I need to apply for an "Exemption to Travel" from Australian Immigration. Inform them that's not the case. I've checked the government site and it says if I'm "ordinarily resident in another country" I don't need to apply for an exemption. Clerk refuses to accept that. Insists, rudely, that I carry my four heavy bags across the terminal to be interviewed by Australian Border Force staff for an Exemption. Get the Exemption - that I didn't need. Board the plane. I'm a Platinum Frequent Flyer. Not recognised. Not even a "Welcome on board". During the flight ask for my Complimentary WiFi. No-one knows anything about it. Flight Director has no vouchers. Served cold scrambled eggs and a cold cappuccino. There are 4 people in Business, 10 in Economy. I've paid an extra €810 to be upgraded to Business on this leg. Once home., few days later notice, once again, they haven't credited me the miles for the SYD-ABU DHABI leg. Write to them. They add the missing miles. I get a lousy 750 miles extra for upgrading to Business. I've sent three emails complaining about my treatment at Sydney, cold food onboard, no wifi, missing miles. No one has got back to me. They don't care. No wonder they are losing money hand over fist if this is they way they treat their Platinum guests. Had enough. Changing airlines.
RouteSydney to Paris via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"I wasn't allowed to board"

Trip Verified | I was supposed to travel with Etihad on 11 Dec 2020 from Toronto to Mumbai via Abu Dhabi. My flight was rescheduled and also on the day of boarding I wasn't allowed to board the flight stating that I am Indian citizen. Etihad didn't even feel responsible to inform the flyer beforehand whether they can board on the flight or not. And also i had confirmed with the Airline call center, who told, I can board the flight. I had booked hotel at the Aerotel Transit, for one day, plus my Covid test also became void they next day after flight. Also Etihad's Airport staff is very disrespectful, working as if they are not paid properly or made to over work. They pulled me out of the line and said we are not responsible for mismanagement of Airlines booking fault. Made me call the reservation to cancel ticket at the last moment. Because of them I had to pay extra $1000 to cover up their mistake to buy another ticket with another airline.
RouteToronto to Mumbai via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Etihad has been consistently appalling"

Trip Verified | I am an Australian citizen who is desperately trying to return home from the UK. I flew with Etihad last year into London and found them pleasurable but it appears that a company's true character is revealed when the chips fall. Indeed, during this COVID pandemic, Etihad has been consistently appalling. There are a number of Facebook groups for Australians who are currently stranded overseas and it is agreed upon that Etihad is the worst airline to secure seats back. They are constantly overbooking economy and business class passengers so that the only way to be confirmed to fly with them is via first class seats. They are fully aware of the Arrival Caps in Australia and yet they continue to provide false hope to thousands of Australians only to later cancel their flights at a moment's notice (my most recent cancellation was yesterday, 8 days from my travel date, after I had already made arrangements to leave and pack up my entire life here). Their customer service is equally appalling. I was openly bawling on the phone when they said that their next available flight was TWO MONTHS LATER. They provided zero comfort, zero assurance I would make this flight, zero information about how many people had already booked so I could ascertain the likelihood of my being bumped for a third time. I realise their customer support staff are not counsellors but surely they are not robots. I will never book with them again.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2020

"I could only have a credit applied"

Trip Verified | Myself and my partners flight was cancelled 12 days before our scheduled departure without notice. The only way I found out was by refreshing the itinerary in the app daily, when it just disappeared one day! We had quit our jobs and moved out of our apartments relying on this "Confirmed" flight with Etihad to fly from NYC to Sydney on December 3. When I called Etihad to see when the next available flight would be or to see if I would be refunded, the employee told me that I could only have a credit applied to my account for the cost of the flight to use on Etihad exclusively within 12 months. Seeing as we needed to get home for Christmas and that they have no available flights for the next 3 months this "travel credit" is seemingly useless (and they know this).
RouteNew York to Sydney via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2020

"obvious and effective COVID-Safe practices in place"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Despite many airlines flailing around and scrambling to cut costs throughout 2020's COVID pandemic, Etihad still maintains the top-spot on my personal airline tier list. Boarding and disembarking was flawless with obvious and effective COVID-Safe practices in place. Throughout the flight all passengers (regardless of seating class) were looked after by friendly, polite and professional cabin staff. Another excellent flight on Etihad.
RouteGeneva to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2020

"no physical distancing from Abu Dhabi to Karachi"

Not Verified | Great physical distancing and socially responsible on Toronto to Abu Dhabi. Unfortunately, no physical distancing from Abu Dhabi to Karachi. How deplorable for such a big airline to act so irresponsibly. Emirates was only 200 hundred dollars more, however I had to buy ticket in emergency and couldn't wait for Emirates date to fly due to emergency in the family.
RouteToronto to Karachi via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2020

"COVID safety clearly in place"

Trip Verified | Business Class outbound August and returning September Abu Dhabi Airport was very quiet, in so sailed through check In and Security . Lounge food was order only and served in plastic but considering the Covid - it is what it is. Both flights were exceptional COVID safety clearly in place with Staff enforcing masks and requirements. Both flights quiet, so staff offered attentive service at all times - food was good yet menu had less options but similar to Non Covid times. I am Gold with Etihad and have been flying them since they began operations - One has witnessed the good and bad times but this flights team were top marks. A special call out to the male cabin crew member on my return who could not be more professional. Top marks - in these challenging times - Its great to see high morale on service. I for one remain loyal to Etihad - like all services there have been slips but they try hard.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Dublin
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"I hope to fly with you again soon"

Trip Verified | Etihad They offer good services for a very reasonable price and is my favourite airline! Unfortunately, due to Covid, I had to cancel my flight which was booked for July. I understand that this pandemic is incredibly difficult for airlines, and even though I had to wait a little while, everything was solved very well. Thank you, Etihad and I hope to fly with you again soon!
RouteAbu Dhabi to Casablanca
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I never did get the refund"

Not Verified | This is concerning the refunds which were promised after the flight to Colombo was cancelled. Due to Covid-19, we were not able to embark on our flight to Dusseldorf, as it was cancelled. We had expected this, and therefore it did not come as a surprise. In order to get my tickets refunded, I called Etihad in the third week of July, and they promised me the full flight would be refunded within 40 days. I was very pleased with the quality and kindness of the helpdesk. However, I never did get the refund that I was promised, and when I tried to call Etihad from the Netherlands, I couldn't get anyone on the phone. Chatting on Facebook and sending an e-mail also did not work. I really would like to get the refund, as it was paid from my own pocket and I am studying currently. Hence, even though the customer service was well set up when I called in July, I haven't been able to contact Etihad since, and I have not been contacted by them either to inform me about the refund.
RouteDusseldorf to Colombo via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2020

"got a free cushion and amenities"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Comfy seats with legrest. I got a free cushion and amenities which was nice. Not much food options though. The crew were welcoming and enthusiastic in serving the customers.
RouteColombo to Abu Dhabi