Etihad Airways

"refused to refund extra 100 plus dollars"

Trip Verified | I travelled on Etihad in the start of April 2021. I'm extremely dissatisfied with the service. I planned to have a extra bag when I was coming back home to USA. When I tried to Check in online three times using different credit cards but No success. The system was asking for a Code that I never received. I called my credit card Capital one to inquire and they have no record of Etihad trying to buy the extra bag online. So Etihad Airways never communicated with my credit card companies. My payment was not processed by Etihad. I was not able to check in online. The fee for one extra bag was $157.00 There was no information about the extra payment on the airport. There was no information on the website about extra payment at the airport. This information was not shared with me on any email either. Not knowing that I would pay extra at the airport. I went to airport and when I checked in my extra bag, it costs me $274, which was almost double the price $157. I was not informed at the website that I would be paying extra at the airport. Etihad refused to refund extra 100 plus dollars
RouteNew York to Islamabad via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownApril 2021

"my luggage came out 25 kg"

Trip Verified | It was my first time flying with Etihad, I was traveling alone for first time in my life. They have me such a hard time at airport for luggage weight. The limit is 23 kg each bag and mine at home were like a kg or two above 23 and I was thinking its ok. On counter they asked me for extra money as my luggage came out 25 kg, I never paid extra for few kgs weight with Emirates so it was quite shocking for me. I have to pay 110$ at Etihad counter. I will never fly with them again. In Plane for some reason I requested to change my seat and one of attendants was so rude and told me that there is a law that you cannot change your seat and you have to sit where you are.
RouteNew York to Islamabad via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownApril 2021

"Etihad what has gone so wrong with you?"

Not Verified | Gold member - General feedback on their website and reservations. Tried 6 hours to reserve a seat on their website and it crashed and off line - Called the gold line - 6 times - 3 times disconnected- other 3 hours taking to agents who did their very best to help but due to their internal processes, could get no where. The “supervisors“ at all times not available dealing with other guests .. clearly numerous complaints. Appears Even in Covid they want to pack an aircraft to the fullest with no spacing. One only asked for exit row and would pay to have a seat free ? Impossible. After 4 hours wasted on calls and further time on their non functioning website I just gave up and cancelled the flight. Emirates booked me in minutes and had a spaced seating plan in place. Etihad what has gone so wrong with you? I actually felt sorry for the call agents as they were nothing but apologetic and did their very best, zero leadership to support them.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Male
Date FlownMarch 2021

"I would recommend Etihad"

Not Verified | My 8th time flying Etihad and they have kept their exceptional standard throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. There were hygiene practices in place and transferring at Abu Dhabi International was flawless and efficient. Onboard their 787-9 I found the seats to be firm but comfortable and the IFE system to have a large selection of movies. The on board meal and snacks were very tasty and the portion sizes were enough. I would recommend Etihad.
RouteAbu Dhabi to London
Date FlownMarch 2021

"No one has got back to me"

Trip Verified | At Etihad Check-In at Sydney airport I was told I need to apply for an "Exemption to Travel" from Australian Immigration. Inform them that's not the case. I've checked the government site and it says if I'm "ordinarily resident in another country" I don't need to apply for an exemption. Clerk refuses to accept that. Insists, rudely, that I carry my four heavy bags across the terminal to be interviewed by Australian Border Force staff for an Exemption. Get the Exemption - that I didn't need. Board the plane. I'm a Platinum Frequent Flyer. Not recognised. Not even a "Welcome on board". During the flight ask for my Complimentary WiFi. No-one knows anything about it. Flight Director has no vouchers. Served cold scrambled eggs and a cold cappuccino. There are 4 people in Business, 10 in Economy. I've paid an extra €810 to be upgraded to Business on this leg. Once home., few days later notice, once again, they haven't credited me the miles for the SYD-ABU DHABI leg. Write to them. They add the missing miles. I get a lousy 750 miles extra for upgrading to Business. I've sent three emails complaining about my treatment at Sydney, cold food onboard, no wifi, missing miles. No one has got back to me. They don't care. No wonder they are losing money hand over fist if this is they way they treat their Platinum guests. Had enough. Changing airlines.
RouteSydney to Paris via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"I wasn't allowed to board"

Trip Verified | I was supposed to travel with Etihad on 11 Dec 2020 from Toronto to Mumbai via Abu Dhabi. My flight was rescheduled and also on the day of boarding I wasn't allowed to board the flight stating that I am Indian citizen. Etihad didn't even feel responsible to inform the flyer beforehand whether they can board on the flight or not. And also i had confirmed with the Airline call center, who told, I can board the flight. I had booked hotel at the Aerotel Transit, for one day, plus my Covid test also became void they next day after flight. Also Etihad's Airport staff is very disrespectful, working as if they are not paid properly or made to over work. They pulled me out of the line and said we are not responsible for mismanagement of Airlines booking fault. Made me call the reservation to cancel ticket at the last moment. Because of them I had to pay extra $1000 to cover up their mistake to buy another ticket with another airline.
RouteToronto to Mumbai via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Etihad has been consistently appalling"

Trip Verified | I am an Australian citizen who is desperately trying to return home from the UK. I flew with Etihad last year into London and found them pleasurable but it appears that a company's true character is revealed when the chips fall. Indeed, during this COVID pandemic, Etihad has been consistently appalling. There are a number of Facebook groups for Australians who are currently stranded overseas and it is agreed upon that Etihad is the worst airline to secure seats back. They are constantly overbooking economy and business class passengers so that the only way to be confirmed to fly with them is via first class seats. They are fully aware of the Arrival Caps in Australia and yet they continue to provide false hope to thousands of Australians only to later cancel their flights at a moment's notice (my most recent cancellation was yesterday, 8 days from my travel date, after I had already made arrangements to leave and pack up my entire life here). Their customer service is equally appalling. I was openly bawling on the phone when they said that their next available flight was TWO MONTHS LATER. They provided zero comfort, zero assurance I would make this flight, zero information about how many people had already booked so I could ascertain the likelihood of my being bumped for a third time. I realise their customer support staff are not counsellors but surely they are not robots. I will never book with them again.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2020

"I could only have a credit applied"

Trip Verified | Myself and my partners flight was cancelled 12 days before our scheduled departure without notice. The only way I found out was by refreshing the itinerary in the app daily, when it just disappeared one day! We had quit our jobs and moved out of our apartments relying on this "Confirmed" flight with Etihad to fly from NYC to Sydney on December 3. When I called Etihad to see when the next available flight would be or to see if I would be refunded, the employee told me that I could only have a credit applied to my account for the cost of the flight to use on Etihad exclusively within 12 months. Seeing as we needed to get home for Christmas and that they have no available flights for the next 3 months this "travel credit" is seemingly useless (and they know this).
RouteNew York to Sydney via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2020

"obvious and effective COVID-Safe practices in place"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Despite many airlines flailing around and scrambling to cut costs throughout 2020's COVID pandemic, Etihad still maintains the top-spot on my personal airline tier list. Boarding and disembarking was flawless with obvious and effective COVID-Safe practices in place. Throughout the flight all passengers (regardless of seating class) were looked after by friendly, polite and professional cabin staff. Another excellent flight on Etihad.
RouteGeneva to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2020

"no physical distancing from Abu Dhabi to Karachi"

Not Verified | Great physical distancing and socially responsible on Toronto to Abu Dhabi. Unfortunately, no physical distancing from Abu Dhabi to Karachi. How deplorable for such a big airline to act so irresponsibly. Emirates was only 200 hundred dollars more, however I had to buy ticket in emergency and couldn't wait for Emirates date to fly due to emergency in the family.
RouteToronto to Karachi via Abu Dhabi