Etihad Airways

"we were denied veg food"

Trip Verified | We traveled from Ahmedabad to Chicago on May 15th. We had pre-selected our meals as Asian Veg sometime in January so we get proper food in the flight. Even after doing this well in advance, we were denied veg food on the flights saying that their veg meals were over. What's the use of pre-selecting meals if there aren't enough on the flight? The data being added on the app is clearly not syncing with their records. After this, the crew also had the audacity say that the meals should have been selected. After this, we requested for at least fruits or some snacks because there was no veg food available but we were not provided that. We spent 7-8 hours hungry and this sort of behavior is unacceptable to me. It was only after we showed them the meal selection in our email that they realized their mistake and served food at the end. The crew was also extremely rude.
RouteAhmedabad to Chicago via Abu Dhabi

"Budget airline experience"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Dublin via Abu Dhabi. Just settled in Ireland and couldn't wait to write the review. What has happened to the food? First of all, food served 1 HR into flight, leaving a huge gap between the stodge we were served. Starving. On the 14 hour leg most was inedible. The food was cheap and nasty. Everything came wrapped in plastic and tasted like plastic. But of course this happened to coincide with a new snack menu that u have to pay for. Meals so stingy that you have to buy extra food. Budget airline experience. Cabin crew were nice. Aircon so cold I couldn't sleep a wink. Had four layers and two blankets. Was this to keep me awake so I would get hungry and buy more food from the snack menu? Lost a customer.
RouteSydney to Dublin via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2019

"ended my trip on a bad note"

Trip Verified | I was a passenger on flight EY 10 from London to Abu Dhabi on 18th June. As I leaving the flight to board my next flight I accidentally left a Jo Malone bag with $250 dollars worth of items (gifts for loved ones) under my seat 45A. After 10mins I realized and ran back to retrieve my items from the aircraft but no one was being helpful in advising me what I can do to get my items back. After running around like mad trying to get assistant, a gentleman from Etihad advised I go to my next flight as it is the same aircraft that I had left with my items which I will be boarding again. I spoke to airway employee who told me he had in fact, found the bag and gave it to Lost and Found but said it is too late for me to get my item. He suggested when I get home Sydney (which is the flight I was boarding to) and try to contact Etihad to retrieve my item. I got home and called Etihad help centre in Belgrade who advised that they can make an exception and send the item back to me. I immediately filled out a file and received an email from Etihad Airway that they can send the item back to me. I responded back within a few minutes but I received no further follow up email. After an hours wait I then contacted their Facebook page and the contact person said there is nothing they can do. I got mixed messages from them on my item. It was disappointing to be jerked around and not being told clearly how to retrieve my item. I believe if I had received proper support I would have been able to get my item back within the airport (as I had 2 hours to spare). I will never fly or recommend Etihad again if this is how they handle customer issue. I acknowledge I made a human error and left an item, but I tried my best within that 10 min mistake to do my best to get my item back. It ended my trip on a bad note.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2019

"worse than that of a budget airline"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | I travel frequently between Johannesburg and Abu Dhabi, and have always flown Etihad. After my last flight however, I doubt I will be using them again. The food quality was worse than that of a budget airline. The bread roll was tasteless and inedible. There was no salad, dessert or butter. The plastic cutlery was of a cheap quality. The overall experience was traumatizing.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Johannesburg
Date FlownJune 2019

"they are on a downhill trend"

Not Verified | Etihad downhill service. I have standby tickets for Business Class, since it was full due to KLM cancelled flight, my sick wife and I were given economy seats. Although the front rows with big legroom were available, EY did not offer me those seats. When in flight, I moved to those seats but was practically chased out by the lady chief stewardess and even treatened to report my action. There was no respect shown whatsoever and she treated me like a criminal. I calmly explained that I was supposed to be in Business since seats initially which was available earlier (I checked 3-5 hours before my flight) but because of KLM flight being cancelled, the Business Class seats were filled. I requested softly but she said its a paid seat and it was Etihad policy not to allow anyone to take those seats. I felt that Etihad does not have consideration and empathy to its passenger's coupled with bad quality food and service. However, some stewardesses especially from Asia except Sub-continent are pleasant. The worst are from eastern Europe. They did not even smile. I have been auditing Etihad since 2004 and instead of performing better, it appeared that they are on a downhill trend. Sorry Etihad you are no better than a 2 star airline.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2019

"transitioning to a low-cost carrier"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Athens via Abu Dhabi. The flight was ok but the food quantity was not and the taste unlikable. Otherwise, you need to shell out some penny and buy their snacks on-board. This is not a character of a full service airline. Is Etihad transitioning to a low-cost carrier? I know they are cost-cutting but for the price I paid it wasn't worth it. My bag was damaged when it arrived in Athens. Next step, look somewhere else.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteRiyadh to Athens via Abu Dhabi

"great dissatisfaction"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Frankfurt via Abu Dhabi. Having flown with Etihad for the 1st time, I was initially satisfied. However, my 1st impression has been completely broken and now find myself writing this review in an attempt to express my great dissatisfaction and treatment upon my last booking with Etihad. I booked a flight from Sydney to Frankfurt for my Australian wife. At this time I was unsure about her visa conditions in Germany, so I called Etihad asking how I should make her booking. The Etihad agent informed me that because my wife didn’t yet have the long-term visa, that she need to book a return ticket within 3 months after her arrival, otherwise she wouldn’t be allowed to board the flight to Germany. She then recommended to book a return ticket, as a classic or flex, to have low or no cancellations cost. I proceeded to book the “deal” ticket for the outbound flight and the classic for the return flight. Once we arrived in Germany and my wife was granted her visa, so I then called Etihad to cancel the return flight as already having previously explained I would do. That’s when the cycle of disappointments started. I was told the 1st time that in Etihad’s policy “Most restricted refund fare rule applies in the event that different fare choices are combined” and that my flight is not eligible for cancellation, since I “automatically agree when booking a flight”. I replied that I wasn't told this condition and that I should book either Classic or Flex. I was then answered that an investigation process was being started to check this call and they will contact me. After over 1 week of waiting, I called Etihad again, just to be told that they only traced the last 2 calls, but not the 1st one I made, which is where I was given the wrong instructions. I was told again that they would start another investigation and that they would call me back. After several weeks, again there was no call back as promised. I’m therefore extremely disappointed by Etihad’s customer service. After my most recent call to Etihad, I was told that they couldn’t find the 1st call and starting an investigation and that I would receive a call back. At this point I don’t know if I should laugh or cry? Etihad finds 2 calls, but not the 1st one, even though I provided date and timing, and it was due to that call that I was wrongly informed and proceeded to book the return ticket. Otherwise, I would have never bought the return ticket. It was totally wrong to advise me that I need to buy a return at Etihad to prove that my wife will leave the country within 3 months – since I could have booked a flight to London for less than 50 Euros (having been told this by the immigration officer later on). Also, I would have not bought the ticket for 1100 AUD, if the agent had told tell the canceling conditions, and I made it very clear that I would be cancelling the return flight. Apart from that, the booking process itself was extremely misleading. If you book a return flight, and chose the outbound flight deal for one way and the classic for the return, it is then clearly shown on the return flight that it can be canceled. So there is absolutely no indication that “Most restricted refund fare rule applies” from the beginning till the end of the whole booking process. But it's so easy from an IT point of view. This is misleading the customer when you don’t have such important information which changes the prices for cancellation. I won’t never fly again with Etihad and recommend the same to my friends and family.
RouteSydney to Frankfurt via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownApril 2019

"surprised of food quantity"

(China)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Amman via Abu DhabiThey told me that my ticket can enjoy a stay in hotel as my transit in Abu Dhabi international airport was 11 hours. I was surprised when i got off the plane and headed straight toward customer service counter telling me my ticket is illegible, so I had to pay by myself for hotel reservation. Was surprised of food quantity for 7.5 hour flight.
RouteHong Kong to Amman via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2019

"their standards have nosedived"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Abu Dhabi. I'm unsure which was worse, the abhorrent service from the flight attendants or the measly food servings which no longer includes a salad or crackers or butter or jam. I was expecting the same service from Etihad that I had experienced last year but to my disappointment, their standards have nosedived. Quality is missing from every aspect, from the food to the flight attendant service to the range of movies available. Instead, it appears that they are more interested in up selling food and drinks from their on-board menu. It feels like they deliberately make you hungry and/or thirsty by serving you smaller meals and coming around only once for drinks, just so you can buy from their on-board menu. The prices by the way, are not exactly affordable, e.g US$3 for a small nut bar or US$4 for a bag of crisps.
RouteMelbourne to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"feeling like a low cost carrier"

Trip Verified | London to Abu Dhabi. I recently reviewed the flight from Abu Dhabi to London. Despite my severe reservations about the food and drinks service, I still felt able to recommend Etihad. After this return flight, my opinion has changed. The food on this flight was poor. The bread roll was in edible, the chicken had an unpleasant texture and of course the lack of food left my family feeling hungry. Fortunately I had brought food from home. The need to pay for food towards the end of the flight is demeaning for all involved and has resulted in Etihad feeling like a low cost carrier. Other niggles include the entertainment system not being turned on till well into the flight and then turned off during the descent. The cabin lights being turned on maybe 2 hours before landing for this paid food service, then the lights going down again. When the price of an Etihad return flight to London Is usually far more than the same flight with British Airways, I really cannot recommend Etihad anymore. I have booked two return flights to London with British Airways for the summer and Christmas.
RouteLondon to Abu Dhabi