Etihad Airways

"lousy customer service"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Manila to London via Abu Dhabi. Very disappointing and lousy customer service. Etihad Airways wouldn't credit my missing miles even if the oversight was on their part. I provided my Etihad Guest number upon check-in and it's clearly printed on my boarding passes. I didn't review my Activity History right away because I was confident that I provided my Etihad Guest number upon check-in and I trusted them to credit my miles accurately. I requested them to re-consider because again, the oversight was on their part, not mine. However, regardless of the number of times I followed up, they just kept giving me canned responses.
RouteManila to London via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"very rude and inconsiderate"

Trip Verified | Chennai to Abu Dhabi. The flight was just for 4hours. I have travelled in several airlines before and this was my first time with Etihad. I do understand it's natural for air hostesses to lose their temper sometimes. But this person had been cranky all throughout the 4hours journey. She was very rude and inconsiderate of the passengers' reasonable needs. She could have just denied her service rather than speaking harshly and commenting condescendingly on the passenger. It's many such incidents in the same flight has lead me to write this bad review. Truly a disappointing service.
RouteChennai to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"never fly with Etihad ever again"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Original ticket was from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and then from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi and Abu Dhabi to London. I booked my ticket many months in advance, Initiallly searched through Skyscanner and then through Go to Gate. After booking the ticket but before the flight I moved from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin. I assumed that as I had already paid for the Chiang Mai to Hua Hin flight it would be ok if I boarded at Bangkok to start the journey (I was wrong). When I arrived to check in at Bangkok I was informed by the check in clerk that all my tickets had been cancelled (including the return leg) because I did not board at Chiang Mai and if I wanted to travel I would have to pay a cancellation fee, an admin fee and pay to rebook all my tickets. I called the customer service desk at Etihad who told me that not only was the case but as my tickets were cancelled the plane at all stages was now full and I could not rebook onto my original flights (This was not true). This was told to me in a manner where the customer services clerk (on the phone) could hardly contain his eagerness to give me the bad news. I am a 73 years old pensioner travelling business class for the first time because of health reasons to visit my daughters and granddaughter for Christmas. I had already paid around 2,000 pounds for my ticket and now had to pay a further 1,500 pounds because I had missed a one hour internal flight. The money paid to rebook was money that I had set aside for Christmas presents and for holiday expenses. I was informed by the clerk that even if I had cancelled the internal flight all the other flights would also have been cancelled due to my booking having linked journeys and consequently it was classified as one ticket. I contacted Etihad to try to obtain a full or part refund but my request was denied. I wrote a letter (e mail) of appeal but that was not even acknowledged. I am totally disgusted and dismayed by Etihad and I will never fly with Etihad ever again.
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Cabin crew need to smile"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to London. I like the colour scheme of cream and black. Leg room was ok. Annoyed with entertainment system being switched off 15mins before landing and being bombarded with adverts. Cabin crew need to smile. Food was so so. No menus given to let you know what food options are available. Breakfast was good as they had a pancake option. Seats did not recline very far compared to other airlines I've flown with. However great idea adding a side head rest.
RouteAbu Dhabi to London

"Fairly old plane"

Trip Verified | Phuket to Abu Dhabi. Fairly old plane. Leg room was ok. Etihad staff need to smile. No menu given so had no idea what was available to eat until the food cart came round. Food portions were small but tasted ok.
RoutePhuket to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownDecember 2018

"provided a good service"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London via Abu Dhabi. Etihad had a significant change since my last trip with them 6 years ago. The online check-in process won't allow me to check-in as I need to choose a seat which isn't free and I can't complete my check-in without choosing a seat. This means that I had to check-in at the airport on the day I travelled. The check-in progress was fairly fast as there was no queue at the airport and staff at the check-in counter choose a seat for me and my sisters for free as I need to took care them for a whole flight. Boarding progress was organized as the crew called passengers by zone. The aircraft on first leg (A330) was old but the cabin was modern and clean. The seat I sit was at the front on the middle of the aircraft which had terrible leg room and uncomfortable, luckily I sit on an aisle seat but still interrupted by people walking pass through. After take off, a meal was served and I choose chicken. There was 3 options but it could be better if the crew handed out the menu. The food was fine but the rice was sticky. The toilet on an aircraft was modern and well designed but wet and small. I sleep through this flight as i was an overnight flight and didn't have time to look on In-flight Entertainment. The flight was delayed and arrived at Abu Dhabi late which I had shorter connection time. The security control of the airport was a fast but crowded. As I don't have a second boarding pass I need to collect one from transfer desk but the staff at the line said I should head to gate as my flight to London start boarding. I collect my boarding pass (including my sisters) at the gate. The staff was helpful and professional but the progress was disorganized. I boarding on time into my second flight (A380) which had a modern and clean cabin. The seat was huge and got lots of legroom but still uncomfortable. The flight departed on time. The food on this flight is better than the previous one. The toilet is bigger but had the same issue as previous flight. The IFE had wide selections of films, TV shows, games etc. The crew was helpful, friendly and professional. Some stuff like amenity kit or little snack must be paid which I think it was unacceptable. The flight arrived at Heathrow on time at terminal 4 which is old and small. In conclusion, Etihad provided a good service on both flights but there still some areas of improvement to compete with major rivals.
AircraftA330-300/A380-800
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"happy with their service"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Melbourne via Abu Dhabi. This was my first flight with Etihad and I was very happy with their service. Boarding and departures were on time. The pilots on both flights communicated really well, apologising for an 8min delay caused by air traffic control. Although the seats on their B787's are rather narrow and hard, the entertainment system is pretty much what you would expect.
RouteJohannesburg to Melbourne via Abu Dhabi

"Food was disgusting"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Frankfurt via Abu Dhabi. Having water on a flight is a basic right for passengers, but was denied water while in this dilapidated Boeing 777-300 from Etihad. Cabin crew was too lazy to put water into my own water bottle, and told me that she would do in her way back - walked past me as if nothing happened. Same woman, for the second said again that she‘d get back to me - she was collecting rubbish and had water in trolley, again she didn’t. Finally got water, but was being served as if I was demanding for champagne. Food was disgusting.
RouteSingapore to Frankfurt via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJanuary 2019

" online check in system is a fiasco"

Not Verified | Paris to Sydney via Abu Dhabi. Etihad Airways online check in system is a fiasco. We attempted to check in including our son. On selecting seats, we were required to pay. The system didn’t recognise the seat selection so I tried again. Alas the credit card has been billed four times. Trying to talk to a human is impossible and the travel agent we used is no better. To top it off the flight information on the App is different to our booking.
RouteParis to Sydney via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"spare seats to spread out onto"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London via Abu Dhabi. Boeing 777 to Abu Dhabi generally clean; on-time and half empty so plenty of spare seats to spread out onto. Few issues. Screens not very responsive for IFE and hard to navigate around strange menu selections. Screen on seat 55D cracked hence numerous sections not available. Only 11 Arabic films and not all with English subtitles. IFE turned off 30 minutes prior to arrival. Annoying advert prior to every video. Food fairly bland and only one food service offered on flight of over 6 hours ( a small packet of salty biscuits offered 1 hour prior to landing ). Plane did not arrive in AUH at an official stand and a bus was used. A380 AUH to LHR Significantly better than the first leg. Food better although second sitting of a so called sandwich was stodgy. IFE working at normal speed. Plane exceptionally clean. 95% occupancy on this leg.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A380