Etihad Airways

"worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Cairo Abu Dhabi. My worst experience ever. Will never fly again on Etihad and will never recommend to anybody. Service is very bad. Food spicy and does note taste good. Aircraft smells bad and bathroom flooded. Missed flight and spoke to customer service who promised to book me on next day flight with out fees. But as usual, They do not keep promises.
RouteLos Angeles to Cairo Abu Dhabi
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Overall flight was good"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Frankfurt via Abu Dhabi. Overall flight was good. Schedule was respected and interior quite new. Plane was silencious. Light atmosphere was in line with the good practices of the other companies. Even if I am tall (1.95m), the existing seat space was correct for the flight duration (8h + 6h). Good inflight entertainment. Meals were ok in terms of quantity/quality. Tickets price was the lowest I have ever seen for long haul flights! Some points to be noted: IFE was shut down 1h before landing and earphones collected directly (is that the purpose?). It is not the case on the other airlines. Every time a passenger or a kid call the steward via the button it rings very loud on speaker or headphones. Staff was professional but not specially friendly. Too much plastics used for glasses for the different services (water, dinner, break etc).
RouteJohannesburg to Frankfurt via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Etihad Airways was the worst"

(Lithuania)

Trip Verified | I was impressed how disrespectful EY6 October 4th morning flight Munich to Abu Dhabi attendant was. I never met who’s acting like that. Especially one, starting with her face expressions when I asked for a beer during snack service she started gossip with other member about me in front of me and pointing finger towards to me in their own language. You somehow starting feel guilty that you bought a ticket to that flight. And during hot meal service she looked at me and just ignored me, later on another flight attendant came and asked what do I prefer. During my journey I flew with 6 different airlines and I must say that Etihad Airways was the worst. Turkish Airlines and Qatar Airways was way more better. Instant noodles and cheese sandwich for 10 hour flight - seriously?
RouteMunich to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownOctober 2018

"lost a loyal business class passenger"

Trip Verified | We wanted to stay over in Abu Dhabi for a couple of nights and indeed Etihad push this on their website. Initially, when we tried to book this stopover the price of the flights had gone up which meant a flight difference fee in addition to the change fee. The agent then advised us to wait and to see if the fare dropped so we could match what we paid. It did, and so we rang Etihad to book our stopover. We were genuinely shocked to be told that to change the one leg of our flight would cost an incredible €2,300 each! We were fully aware that there would be a change fee, no issue there. But to be told that our ticket would be cancelled and new ticket issued was ridiculous. This just cannot be correct. However, I recieved a call from Etihad and the agent said the fees to change were correct. No wonder Etihad are in trouble because now I am on for Emirates/Qatar/Turkish and Etihad have lost a loyal business class passenger.
RouteBangkok to Dubai via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownAugust 2018

"book any airline except Etihad"

Not Verified | Flew Abu Dhabi to Mumbai. 1) Terrible customer service. 2) They overbook the flight and then throw rules on your face. Will re-book you on any flight without your consent. 3) If you want to be absolutely sure that you want get to your destination on the designated date and time, book any airline except Etihad. They will simply wreck you day, your flight and your peace of mind. Book this airline if they are the only ones left in this world. Pricey and least customer friendly.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Mumbai

"suite was spacious"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to New York in November 2017. This was the best airline hard product I've experienced. The suite was spacious and luxurious, exactly the way it was advertised. I liked the fact that it offered separate seat and bed, though the bed was not as comfortable as the one on Singapore Airlines suite. There was a bar and shower facility on board, but I did not use any of them as I slept and ate most of the 14-hour flight. Catering and service was excellent, though were not as polished as Singapore Airlines.
AircraftA380-800
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteAbu Dhabi to New York
Date FlownNovember 2017

"unprofessionalism and inhuman behaviour"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to Manchester. This was quite a modern flight with inflight entertainment, clean and charging points. We paid online for preferred seats as we were traveling with Kids and an elderly lady. Our seat allocation was six in a row. (3 in the right wing and 3 in the Isle). However when we boarded the flight the front 3 seats were vacant where my kids were seated, and therefore for easy communication I requested to move to the vacant seat(both in the Economy class) after it was announced that the flight was about to take off. However a member of the cabin crew mentioned that the passengers are still boarding and they will have to see whether the seat would fall vacant (I was surprised). However after I heard the final announcement that the flight was to take off, I moved to the seat in front where the kids were seated because I was sure that the doors were closed. I was then taken again by surprise when another crew member came and insisted me to get back to my original seat and I would be given the first preference if no passenger has booked that seat(strange how the passengers could enter with closed doors). However the flight took off with the seats still vacant but after about 25 minutes a passenger came right from the back and occupied the seat that I was promised first preference. I thought this was purely impartial treatment to prove a point by purely displaying unprofessionalism and inhuman behaviour the the crew members. To mention few of the other comments; Commercials are played over the public address system - this is not a sponsored journey so please respect others freedom of listening as it is not a safety announcement. No meal preference card in seat pockets or distributed to passengers before meals are served, being a full service flight. Entertainment choices are almost same across all sectors.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Manchester
Date FlownOctober 2018

"not a children friendly airline"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to Colombo. Out of the four sectors flown, this cabin crew was the best. They were more professional than the other sectors. However, this is not a children friendly airline. When meals were served, I don't know why we were served with vegetarian meals. My kid were a sleep and I requested that their meals to be served later which we were flatly refused. So the kids travelled all the way to Colombo without a meal.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Colombo
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Not a children friendly flight"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Manchester to Abu Dhabi. This sector was not available for online preferred seats (paid seats) The seats were allocated 2x3 rows for six passengers where three seats were available in the sector. These were system allocated seats. I called the Etihad office in Manchester to change this in to three in a row since we were traveling with Kids. Although the call center officer tried her best to help me, she said I have to get them from the Airport and it should not be an issue. When we reached the Airport we were dissapointed with the attitude of the Ground staff, where the checkin counter officer was rushing us to check in the baggage warning us the counter would be closed in 10 minutes and we would be off loaded (we had 1hr and 20 minutes at this point before departure) This looked like a scam to earn additional money from passengers who are over weight. Since we had little choice to rearrange our baggage, Out of desperation I paid for 5 additional kgs and left two baggages behind. We wouldn't have been over weight if we were not refused a Cabin luggage, mentioning it was oversized to go in as cabin luggage, although it was in the allowed cabin baggage allowance. I wonder why they did not allow the kilos that we were allowed in the refused cabin luggage to be checked in, since they refuse the baggage to be taken in the cabin. Also I was surprised how the same piece of baggage survived two sector belonging to the same Airline when we travelled to Manchester. It was very disappointing to see the treatment of the the other ground staff officer, rushing us to get to the boarding gate although we were traveling with an elderly lady. Finally I had to tell him that I made a request online for Wheel chair assistance where it was never offered to the passenger at check in. When we arrived at the gate, the passengers were still queued up. "What was the mighty rush my the so call ground staff officer"? The biggest drama was when we boarded the Aircraft. It was hot like a sauna. Most of the lockers were full and I ask one of the cabin crew where could I keep the baggage and she replied "The flight is full" with a don't care attitude and just walked away. At that point a kind passenger was helping me to sort out my baggage. When I opened one of the lockers, the cabin member came back and said "it is understood that the lockers are closed because they are full" 'Oh Really" that was news to me having, flown for several years. However the kind passenger (mentioned above)helped me out to sort out my baggage. Since the heat was unbearable, my wife pressed the button for assistance to get some water, but no crew member turned up. But soon I realised that we were not alone since I saw three more illuminated lights calling for assistance where no cabin member turned up. The flight took off around 8.45 PM. Around 9.45 pm we were served with some savoury biscuits (savoury biscuits at that time of the night?) Finally when the Dinner was served, it was 11.15 PM. At least the kids were not served meals on time. Few points to note to the benefit of other passengers- Although this is a long sector only 23kg allowed in Economy. Not a children friendly flight. If you are traveling with children and elderly people, avoid this flight as it is very unlikely that you will get any kind of assistance from the cabin crew. Should also mentioned that the seats were not adjustable although a button exist to do so.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteManchester to Abu Dhabi

"Terrible customer service"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Kuala Lumpur via Abu Dhabi. The 20th October I was going to fly from Madrid to Denpasar, and I said "I was going to" because the crew was so overwhelmed with the overbooking in the flight that could not attend everyone properly and let me out of the flight. I waited in the queue more than an hour (they had to open more desks as otherwise they wouldn't be on time to close the flight). First person I talked to ask for a flight that shows I am leaving Bali within a month, I completely understand that legally you need it but I explained them I have lived in Bali for 4 years (I showed them all my working permits and stamps) and I am waiting for a new working permit (also you can extend your visa at airport until 60 days so this could be also an option, but not). This person pass me with the manager, I have to wait as she is talking with other passengers, I don't understand why everyone is so tense, crew and passengers but I wait until there is a space for me. After explaining her the same she still requires the ticket and send me to buy it to the front (AirEuropa), they were also busy so I waited, when they were free they told me they don't fly to Bali and can not help me, why do you send me to AirEuropa then? I ended up buying the ticket online close to the crew of Etihad, they knew what I was doing, and when I received the confirmation they said the flight was closed and that i am not considered overbooking like another 5 people because I had no my flight in time. This was the worst treat I ever had, they were so overwhelmed because the company sold more seats than what they should. I followed every step they told me, they knew I was buying the ticket, they knew I live here in Bali and need to fly and still let me out, shameless. When they realised how bad they treated me and how unfair they were, they try to fix it and, of course, Madrid approved to reissue the ticket for the next day, when they were on it the central did not let them reissue, did they even listened to what happened at the airport? I called customer services several times just to be told I have to pay the change plus the no show fee, again, shameless, 500 euros. I ended up buying a new ticket as I would not accept a no show in this situation. Another 580 euros because the airline was too busy to attend properly to the passengers. The day after the crew apologised but nothing else they can do. I already claimed twice and did not even have an answer from them. Terrible customer service, terrible attitude.
RouteMadrid to Kuala Lumpur via Abu Dhabi