Etihad Airways

"better service on some flights"

Not Verified | The focus was on making sure everything was sanitized and for this reason meal service was not at the request but everyone had to dine at the same time. We were explained this was due to sanitization of the kitchen but only onboard. Our special meal was a bit disappointing and small and combined with not being able to order more was a bit of an inconvenience. Knowing this, I would have eaten more in the lounge and then slept through the flight instead FAs were reasonably attentive but you had to ask if you wanted another drink; there were not so many rounds of asking the passengers if they needed anything. The seat was as good as it gets - the best aircraft Etihad has to offer. But some wear was noticeable. The cabin was half-empty. Overall you can get better service on some flights or different airlines but if prices were lower and this would be the new standard it would still be a pleasant way to travel. The baggage allowance was generous (main motivation for flying BC) and check-in smooth despite having a few kgs extra.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2020

"I would not recommend them"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | Flight cancelled due to Covid-19. Fair enough. When called, they only have schedule until October so cannot move booking. I also had to cancel the last 2 flights as I would be charged a no show for them even though they cancelled the first 2. Have not had airport tax back, anything. They are vague on the phone. I also had bookings with BA and CX who could not have been easier to deal with. I don't mind a voucher I can use at Christmas of 2021 but sadly not even that. When an airline changes its terms and conditions and starts quoting them you know are in trouble. A costly mistake indeed. I would not recommend them.
RouteHong Kong to London via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2020

"will not refund me"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Etihad cancelled my flight and will not refund me. I booked my family on this flight so we've lost a lot of money. I tried calling (now they removed all contact numbers) to no avail. I went to their office address and they closed their offices. Online, Etihad wants me to reschedule our flights for October 2020 but obviously we can't make that decision for now because it is still unsafe to travel. I opted to have a refund and they cut me off online. I cannot login or manage my flight on their website. I only want what is fair which is to get my money back because that is what any decent airline should do.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Manila

"avoiding their responsibility"

Not Verified | We recently flew with Etihad Airways, what a mistake. They broke my hard shell suitcase which I had paid $399 for, so not a cheap suitcase. We reported it to Customer Service at the airport in Abu Dhabi the morning after we arrived, as we arrived at approximately 1am, and were told to ‘claim online’ and no further discussion was entered into as he was on his mobile phone. The following day, leaving Abu Dhabi we reported it at the Check-in Counter. Just as bluntly we were told “claim online”. Once we were home, we contacted Customer Service, and were told “you need the luggage claim tags and the tags from your bag from that flight”. The tags required from my bag had been removed by the Check-in Counter staff upon check in to apply the new flight tags, and the old luggage claim tickets were discarded once the new luggage claim tickets were issued. It was never mentioned that we should keep them to make a claim. They have refused to take responsibility for their actions, and cut us off completely saying try your Travel Insurance. Also, flying with them means uncertainty. Every single flight we had with Etihad did not leave at the specified time. Before we even got to the airport nearly every flight had been changed, several times and they were usually late departing anyway. They do not care about their customers and obviously do not take any responsibility for their careless treatment of luggage. Insulting their passengers and avoiding their responsibility is their speciality. This has been ongoing now for over 5 months, still with no resolution. They state that because we have no tags, they are not paying for the damage their staff caused. We keep getting shoved all over the place, and NOBODY is willing to help to solve this.
RouteCairo to Canberra via Abu dhabi
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"not received any transfer of funds"

Trip Verified | I first booked and paid ($3,763AUD) for multi city flights from Australia to Europe and China, with Etihad on 26 Nov 2019 for myself and my wife. Due to personal reasons we had to cancel our planned European holiday. I rang Etihad and cancelled the flights on 14 Dec 2019 – obviously well before the worldwide shutdown due to the Covid19 pandemic. Finally on 6 Jan after another phone call, Etihad sent me an email confirming the cancellation and a ‘generous’ refund of $1,362AUD. Following 12 phone calls, 9 emails and 26 weeks, I still do not have a refund. Etihad allege that a refund has been made, according to their records, however my bank has not received any transfer of funds. Two weeks ago I asked for proof of the refund. Guess what. I’m still waiting for proof. Numerous times, speaking with Etihad consultants, I’ve been promised that they will call back. But surprise surprise no call back. Does anyone know who I can escalate this issue to, considering I’m based in Australia?
RouteMelbourne to Berlin via Abu Dhabi /Rome
Date FlownJune 2020

"$3500 in cancellation fees"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Athens via Abu Dhabi. Booked 5 tickets to fly to Greece to attend a wedding, Told by the travel agent Prahran Travel that our flights have been cancelled and all flights are cancelled for the next month. They offered us a credit note or we cancel our trip incurring $3500 in cancellation fees for a flight the Airline cancelled. Contacted the Airline directly and they confirmed the cancellation Fee. Contacted our travel insurance to be told not covered under the "Covid pandemic Clause" contacted the credit card provider "Not covered".
RouteMelbourne to Athens via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownMay 2020

"refund would take a further 28 days"

Trip Verified | I booked three business class seats on return tickets - Melbourne to Cairo and back via Amman & Abu Dhabi to Melbourne. Departing 19th April with a return on the 7th May 2020. The tickets were purchased on 29th Nov 2019. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic I cancelled our family holiday on the 11th March 2020. I was told by Etihad that our refund would be $8,471.60 per ticket - $ 25,414.80 in total. It is now the 20th May and we have only received a one ticket refund. That ticket was our daughter’s. Which my wife’s and I paid for. The amount was for $8,171.60. Paid into our daughter’s bank account. This amount is different to what I was told back on the 11th March. No explanation to as to why the difference. I have had numerous communications with Etihad. Every time, our, refund claim was recognised and confirmed. Every time they used delaying tactics and lies. The last communication was on the 14th April confirming our refund would take a further 28 days to arrive. It is now the 20th of May 2020.
RouteMelbourne to Cairo via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Cheap profiteering attitude"

Trip Verified | My flights from New York to Chennai via Abu Dhabi was cancelled by Etihad Airways. Except for the cancellation message which gave details of miles, credits (which is of no use for me as I don't have a option to travel in future) nothing was specified about refund. Their contact centres too couldn't be contacted in real sense. Only recorded message. Finally I got them in my Twitter and they immediately messaged to come into a Direct Message. But I learnt that they were keen on charging me for their cancellation which shows their cheap profiteering attitude & unjust trade practices. As per standard fare rules they can charge a customer if the Customer cancels ticket. But they argue that since I agreed to the terms & conditions I should pay for the cancellation of flight though it was done by Etihad Airways which sounds absurd. Cheap profiteering attitude at times of pandemic.
RouteNew York to Chennai via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownMay 2020

"Refusing to refund flights"

Trip Verified | Refusing to refund flights they cancelled! Last month Etihad cancelled my return flights to Europe. I was very surprised to be told I would only be given a credit voucher, not a refund. Etihad Conditions of Carriage state clearly at 10.2 Involuntary Refunds that they will give you a full refund if they can't provide the service. Etihad is refunding customers from US, EU, UK. They are trying to deceive AU customers about their rights. I will get my refund eventually, but I will never fly with Etihad ever again.
RouteSydney to London via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownApril 2020

"given the run around by Etihad"

(Spain)

Not Verified | After being given the run around by Etihad, the travel agent and PayPal, I finely decided to contact MasterCard about raising a chargeback for a cancelled flight to Hanoi. I was informed by MasterCard that under EU law, any EU airlines or flights departing from EU airports are covered for cancellations under EU law and that the airline should refund within 7 days! Obviously they are trying to hold on to the passengers money and trying to force them into accepting something else or nothing at all! MasterCard told me that they would start chargeback proceedings and that I might also be covered under section 75 credit card act (UK law) which states that any online purchases between £100-£30,000 are covered and if the merchant doesn’t reimburse them the card company is liable and they will need to pay up. Unfortunately, if you use a 3rd party such as PayPal you might not be able to benefit from this additional cover. So, although I haven’t got anything back yet it is definitely looking more promising then just listening to the travel agent, PayPal or Etihad.
RouteMadrid to Hanoi via Abu Dhabi