Ethiopian Airlines

"all money refunded to my credit card correctly"

Trip Verified | We had 3 return flights booked and paid for in April. Due to Covid travel restrictions, asked for a refund via email. No response, so then a phone call to Australian office - told to phone head office in Africa. Emailed again and received reply with lots of exclamation marks saying 4-6 month processing time. Didn’t quite believe it was a genuine email, but 5 days later, all money refunded to my credit card correctly. Happily surprised, sad not to have been flying. Looking forward to a future African holiday.
RouteSingapore to Cape Town via Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2020

"I have now called them 24 times"

Trip Verified | I had read the reviews from other travellers in regards to this outfit and against my better judgement went ahead and booked two return Business class flights due to depart 27th November. Due to Covid further restrictions and to bear in mind the political violence escalating in Ethiopia we were in no position to fly. I have now called them 24 times to speak to anyone on this and no one has answered a call - I have emailed - no reply. When we try to go cancel on the site - it crashes - looks very like a case of we have your money, you don't exist. So after much chasing around my only option is to see if my bank can step in on the payment. Worst airline I have come across in 15 years.
RouteDubai to Zanzibar via Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2020

"promised me to refund me within 10 days"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | My flight was cancelled on September 10 and they promised me to refund me within 10 days. After 10 days they said 2 more weeks. Next it was 4 to 6 months. I wonder what they will tell me next.
RouteVienna to Zanzibar via Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2020

"haven't been able to get a refund"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | I had a booking with in April when the pandemic struck us all. They cancelled my flight. According to European regulations the airline need to offer a refund. Ethiopian Airlines never offered a refund, no matter how many times. It's November and I still haven't been able to get a refund for my tickets.
RouteStockholm to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa
Date FlownApril 2020

"My trip lasted a total of 21 hours"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | I had booked my ticket from Nairobi to Athens via Addis Ababa and the airline cancelled my scheduled flight due to COVID. When the airline resumed flights and I went to change my ticket, I was informed that the price had gone up (to double in fact) and even though it was a ticket I had already paid for, I had to pay for it again. 24 hours before departure I tried to check in online, but only the first part of my flight was available for check in. When I arrived at the airport ET had cancelled my flight from Addis to Athens, without notifying me, and had also booked me to fly 24 hours later, meaning I had to spend a day in Addis and arrive to my destination with 36 hours delay. The only way for me to reach my destination on the day i had planned (which was important) was to fly via Rome, adding 9 hours to my trip, and a lot more risk of contracting COVID, as i had to wait for hours at the airport and later fly with a plane that for some reason was crowded in the front half, while the second half remained empty. My trip lasted a total of 21 hours, and cost 1100$. My husband flew a day later with Lufthansa, and was there 12 hours later, having paid 600$. when I complained about this and requested to be refunded the difference I paid, someone replied 'Please kindly note that whenever schedule change or routing change occur we understand as our passengers’ plan may be disrupted but sometimes such decisions are necessitated due to operational or unforeseen circumstances'. After having flown with this airline a few times, I have come to the conclusion that it's ok to fly with them if if everything goes smoothly, but if something goes wrong and you need assistance and customer service, they become the worst.
RouteNairobi to Athens via Addis Ababa
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"The aircraft was exceptionally clean"

Trip Verified | Boarding was done efficiently – we were in zones and to prevent the inevitable attempts at queue-jumping staff were there to tell people to go to the back on the line. Masks were obligatory but social distancing was not. The aircraft was exceptionally clean and many of the seats in economy were empty – which is always a recipe for a pleasant flight. Toilets were clean. There was a broad selection of movies and the aircraft had decent screens. The only problem is that the controls are mounted in the arm rests which meant that occasionally the movie would freeze as your arms brushed against the panel. The flight was slightly delayed but arrived on time. Food was served promptly – a choice of beef or chicken with a roll, crackers, cheese and a biscuit. Although nothing special it was more than adequate. There was more wine if you asked. On landing at LHR there was the usual long walk at T2 and then delays at the eGates as passengers wondering why they were not working while they were wearing masks. The bags also took a long time to load onto the belt. Having flown on a 787 and then an A350 in quick succession, with identical seats, the latter would be my preferred aircraft: the flight seemed smoother and quieter and it simply felt better. Given the cheapness of the ticket this flight offered incredible value for money especially as it included one hour free wifi.
AircraftA350-900
RouteAddis Ababa to London Heathrow
Date FlownNovember 2020

"a more pleasant journey than in pre-lockdown days"

Trip Verified | Heathrow Airport is operating in lockdown mode and therefore check-in and security were very quick. Most of the restaurants were closed, although it was possible to buy some drink and food to be eaten on the chairs. Boarding the aircraft was done efficiently and it was about half full which meant that I had three seats to spread across. The cabin crew were pleasant and professional. The food was served in a box with a choice of chicken or beef. There was no problem with asking for another small bottle of wine or beer. We left on time and arrived slightly early. The aircraft was wi-fi equipped with one hour free access and a modest fee after that. The connection was remarkably fast. Given the price of this flight it offered great value and, with the lack of passengers at the airport and on the plane, was arguably a more pleasant journey than in pre-lockdown days.
RouteLondon to Addis Ababa

"Forget Social Distancing"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Packed A359 from Dubai to Addis. Cabin temperature too warm, WiFI not working. Cabin crew very nice and attentive, meal was a typical C19 box with dry items and a hot casserole. Dry items were horrible, some small red beans salad in a sauce, bread hard as a rock. Crew apologized and brought a fresh bun. I guess ET assumes all their passengers like spicy food. Ethiopian proud itself on SAFE operation due C19, but on the ground they start boarding before the cabin is ready, so the jetway is packed, passengers on top of each other. Forget Social Distancing. Upon landing in Addis, passengers get up while the aircraft is still taxiing. Cabin crew tried to control the crowds, but to no avail. I forgot my BOSE headphones onboard,but trying to get assistance in the terminal was impossible. I was told “ to find an agent with a radio to call the plane”, but none had a radio. Our flight to Tel Aviv was delayed 3 hours du to some excuses about the ‘Air Space’ being closed in Ethiopia. That didn’t stop other flights to take off. Luckily we left after 3 hours (at 3am rather than 2355) Again that horrible box with spicy chicken, but we were all just happy to be out of Addis Ababa. Their cabin crew is the only good thing going for ET.
AircraftA350-900 / Boeing 777-200
RouteDubai to Tel Aviv via Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2020

"no hot towel served. No menu"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Addis Abba on 05th July 2020. I had originally booked an economy class seat, but decided to upgrade to Cloud Nine as I wanted to relax and enjoy my flight in comfort.The check-in gentleman in Frankfurt was friendly and processed my $580 upgrade fee. No mention was made about any change in onboard service. I was directed to the Senator lounge at Frankfurt airport where I was horrified to find every single business class passenger flying that evening, attempting to squeeze in the few seats available. If the other lounges in Frankfurt are closed due to Covid-19, then having masses of people cramming into one lounge is a major mistake, as it puts a large number of people crammed together into one small lounge. Rather have several lounges open with a limited restriction on number of guests allowed at a time. Boarding went smoothly. The seat on the 787 was as expected. Comfortable, but unfortunately that is where the pleasant onboard experience ended. I realise that there may be concerns of the Covid-19 virus and how to handle on-board service, but I had just flown on a Lufthansa connecting flight from Lisbon, and i was given the full Business class experience as normal. Firstly, no hot towel served. No menu. Inflight entertainment not working. Seat charging ports not working. Economy class tray and food served in business class. Shocking quality of food for business class. Breakfast was cold and severed in a economy class tray and I found out it was the same meal offered in economy class! Toilet behind seat 5L, not flushing. Crew did not wear gloves at any time during service. How is Ethiopian Airlines charging me a full upgrade cost when the product I am receiving is not business class in any way. Only the seat was business class. Nothing was mentioned about the lack of service onboard this flight. They offer business class as a whole experience and product. I tried to call their global customer service number in Addis Abba and waited for over 6 hours on hold before the calls being cut off! They said they i was "Next in line" to be answered for over two hours! each time. It is wrong to use the Covid-19 threat to still charge business class fares but bring down the level and items served in this class. If you want to cut services offered then you should cut the cost of the business class fares to reflect this.
RouteFrankfurt to Addis Ababa via Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2020

"Africa's leading carrier"

Trip Verified | Ethiopian is an all-around great airline that definitely deserves its status as Africa's leading carrier. For a two hour flight, we even got a full meal, something you'd never get in economy class in the US. They also had a nice cabin with comfortable seats, and there was a new stream to your device entertainment system. However, it's a shame that such a great airline is saddled by such a terrible hub airport like Addis Ababa, which is currently undergoing a renovation that doesn't seem to have changed the problem of congestion and lack of jetbridges. Luckily, this flight departed in the afternoon, as Addis Ababa gets even crazier during the late night hub hours. Boarding was chaotic, which is the norm on Ethiopian, but the arrivals process at NBO was actually decent, as Ethiopian uses Kenya Airways' much more modern wing of the airport for arrivals. Anyways, great flight, but mediocre ground experience.
RouteAddis Ababa to Nairobi