Ethiopian Airlines

"not had a response"

Trip Verified | Cape Town to London via Addis Ababa. Ethiopian has nice new aircraft in the A350 and some of their cabin crew are lovely. However their pre/after service care that is appalling. Bumped off a flight from Cape Town to London because the previous days flight was overbooked - our flight was overbooked - they put an A350 (smaller seating config) on the route instead of the 777 as had technical issue. Despite having queued for 2.5 hours at check in and the a further four house at the ticket desk, we were whittled off to a hotel for the night and promised to be on the next days plane. Things happen and generally accepted it up to this point. Arrived at airport next day and only ticketed to Addis but promised when we get to Addis would get onward ticket there as they could not issue in CPT. Didn't not believe as need an aisle seat and so was apprehensive. Also informed $300 voucher only usable for a flight or could convert to $150 cash at Heathrow at the ticket desk upon arrival. Got to Addis no onward ticket and when squeezed on the flight told I had to have a middle seat -informed they would ask all passengers on boarding to see if someone would swap. I was fortunate that someone next to me would swap. Upon arrival at LHR went to ticket office and woman behind counter says we dont issue cash here you will need to call customer service - called customer service who said or you will need to email the London office to find our what to do. Emailed the London office and a number of other offices 4 times and not had a response.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A350
RouteCape Town to London via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"insisted on opening window blinds"

Trip Verified | Awasa to Addis Ababa. We were told to board the aircraft by foot which was normal. However, once inside the aircraft, there was no air conditioning circulation. We were stuck in that condition throughout taxi. It finally cool down to acceptable condition after the plane took off. Worst of all was when flight attendant insisted on opening the window blinds, which let in more sun and heat.
AircraftQ400
RouteAwasa to Addis Ababa
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"7 flights and fully satisfied"

(Serbia)

Trip Verified | Mekele to Khartoum via Addis Ababa. Total of 7 flights and fully satisfied. During a long trip around Ethiopia we flew Ethiopian 7 times, 6 times on domestic routes and once internationally. Five of those flights were between 40-50 minutes, and even so, we got a snack (pound cake) and a soft drink - if there is any time left you can even ask for a hot coffee. One flight was slightly late, the night before Timkat we were flying to Gondar and it seems that due to huge volume they changed our plane, so there was some confusion at the gate. Furthermore, once on board, there was a technical issue - all in all we were about 2 hrs late taking off, made up half an hour and arrived 1.5 hr late in Gondar. During the waiting time the crew served refreshing drinks and all was calm. The international flight was 1.5 hr long, to Sudan, and once on board the engines were off and there was no A/C, which, however, meant that some nervous passengers started harassing the crew insisting they get them complaint forms during take off! It was quite annoying and unnecessary because once the engines were on the temperature went down so much I needed my jacket. Anyway, some people just like to complain. Every time our bags made it to the airport, even when we had very, very short connections between two Ethiopian flights. During the flight from Lalibela, the plane was waiting for several people who lazily strolled the tarmac to the plane (both Ethiopians and tourists), while the rest of us nervously waited with our short connections in mind. However, at ADD, where we made connections, the second flight waited for us, so we ultimately made it to our final destination, our bags included. All in all, we could not be happier with our Ethiopian experience and wish them best of luck in their ambitious plans for the future.
RouteMekele to Khartoum via Addis Ababa
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"struggling to get feedback"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Addis Ababa to Johannesburg, both my suit cases were destroyed and I have been struggling to get feedback about a claim or at least to tell me that they are not going to compensate me so that I can take it up with my travel insurance company. On the same flight they lost one of my bags. This at least they found and delivered to my residence with 3 broken wheels. I have phoned and emailed an only received one message which did not help in resolving the complaint. It is like they are deliberately ignoring my emails and hoping it will go away. The last flight was delayed in departing Beijing and as a result I missed the connecting flight.
RouteAddis Ababa to Johannesburg

"Awful and untrustworthy"

Not Verified | Nairobi to London Heathrow via Addis Ababa. It was the first time I have flown with Ethiopian due to my BA flight being cancelled. The service overall was quite good however the after care service after I left my blazer on board was awful. Initially they communicated to me that they had my blazer, then every time I went to pick it up the office was closed or they would take too long to respond to my messages. In the end they clam my £400 blazer has disappeared from the London office during what they call a ‘cleaning audit’. Awful and untrustworthy with no offer to compensate or resolve!
RouteNairobi to London Heathrow via Addis Ababa
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Cabin staff were nice"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Athens to Addis Ababa. On this trip we had 8 flights and all were on time. Their Boeing 787 is a great experience, the cabin was good even though they have 2 business class configurations. The one with the rounded seat configuration is better because the seat becomes real flat-bed with plenty foot area, the rectangular seat configuration is not real flat and the leg area is much crowded. Amenities were good and drinks were great. Cabin staff were nice and efficient but they do not kneel to speak to you and sometimes you do not hear what they say. They do not provide pyjamas. Food was very good, but they serve only one serving and coffee and chocolate before arrival. IFE was good with selection of movies from various cultures. WiFi only on A350 aircraft.
RouteAthens to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"plenty of space to stretch out"

Trip Verified | Booking the flight was convenient and the cost was reasonable considering the time I got my ticket. I have no issue with the flight itself as there were plenty of space to actually stretch out as it wasn't a full flight. My issue is the partnership with Air Cote D'Voire, when I reserved my ticket, I wasn't told I will be needing another ticket for Air Cote D'Voire until I landed in Abidjan. Thankfully I had enough time between my flight. Due to language barrier, the staff that attended to me didnt tell me exactly what the issue was. When I was flying out from Lagos and pressed for time, first of all their Ethiopian airline staff came in late that Saturday morning, and I had to pay extra for an Air Cote D'Voire ticket so I dont miss trip to catch my connecting flight. I reported the issue and wrote plenty of emails and kept getting passed around and till today I got no refund for the new ticket I had to buy even after everyone agreed there was a mistake and I shouldn't have paid for a new ticket.
RouteNew York to Abidjan via Lagos
Date FlownOctober 2019

"exceeded all our expectations"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Mahe to Cape Town via Addis Ababa. The courtesy extended and efficiency certainly exceeded all our expectations. At every point in our trip we were assisted and directed by friendly staff. In addition, we were given hotel vouchers for our Addis Ababa transfer (which we were not expecting) and the transport to and from the airport was effortless. The airline hostesses were friendly and helpful and the food was good. The flight to and from our destination enhanced our holiday experience. We would certainly choose Ethiopian airlines again should the occasion arise.
RouteMahe to Cape Town via Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2019

"forced to take transit hotel"

Trip Verified | Addis Ababa to Mombasa. Food was average. The immigration in the airport forced me to take their transit hotel for an additional US$100 instead of the hotel I booked personally. Ethiopian airlines won’t cover my transit accommodation since my inbound flight was Lufthansa. We got home safe despite being late. Flight attendants were friendly and good service.
RouteAddis Ababa to Mombasa
Date FlownDecember 2019

"service friendly and efficient"

(Oman)

Trip Verified | Muscat to Hargeisa via Addis Ababa on Ethiopian in Economy. MCT-ADD return on a 737, the other flights on a Bombardier Q400. All flights left and arrived on time. Cabins simple (no IFE) but functional with reasonably comfortable seats. All four flights were full. Yet the service was friendly and efficient with very decent Ethiopian food and ample drink offerings, including excellent Ethiopian beer and wine. I cannot confirm many of the earlier reviews on this page. All my recent flights with Ethiopian Airlines were good. I think some of their somewhat tainted reputation might stem from the appalling Addis airport facilities rather than from the airline.
AircraftBoeing 737 / Q400