Ethiopian Airlines

"struggling to get feedback"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Addis Ababa to Johannesburg, both my suit cases were destroyed and I have been struggling to get feedback about a claim or at least to tell me that they are not going to compensate me so that I can take it up with my travel insurance company. On the same flight they lost one of my bags. This at least they found and delivered to my residence with 3 broken wheels. I have phoned and emailed an only received one message which did not help in resolving the complaint. It is like they are deliberately ignoring my emails and hoping it will go away. The last flight was delayed in departing Beijing and as a result I missed the connecting flight.
RouteAddis Ababa to Johannesburg
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Awful and untrustworthy"

Not Verified | Nairobi to London Heathrow via Addis Ababa. It was the first time I have flown with Ethiopian due to my BA flight being cancelled. The service overall was quite good however the after care service after I left my blazer on board was awful. Initially they communicated to me that they had my blazer, then every time I went to pick it up the office was closed or they would take too long to respond to my messages. In the end they clam my £400 blazer has disappeared from the London office during what they call a ‘cleaning audit’. Awful and untrustworthy with no offer to compensate or resolve!
RouteNairobi to London Heathrow via Addis Ababa
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Cabin staff were nice"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Athens to Addis Ababa. On this trip we had 8 flights and all were on time. Their Boeing 787 is a great experience, the cabin was good even though they have 2 business class configurations. The one with the rounded seat configuration is better because the seat becomes real flat-bed with plenty foot area, the rectangular seat configuration is not real flat and the leg area is much crowded. Amenities were good and drinks were great. Cabin staff were nice and efficient but they do not kneel to speak to you and sometimes you do not hear what they say. They do not provide pyjamas. Food was very good, but they serve only one serving and coffee and chocolate before arrival. IFE was good with selection of movies from various cultures. WiFi only on A350 aircraft.
RouteAthens to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"plenty of space to stretch out"

Trip Verified | Booking the flight was convenient and the cost was reasonable considering the time I got my ticket. I have no issue with the flight itself as there were plenty of space to actually stretch out as it wasn't a full flight. My issue is the partnership with Air Cote D'Voire, when I reserved my ticket, I wasn't told I will be needing another ticket for Air Cote D'Voire until I landed in Abidjan. Thankfully I had enough time between my flight. Due to language barrier, the staff that attended to me didnt tell me exactly what the issue was. When I was flying out from Lagos and pressed for time, first of all their Ethiopian airline staff came in late that Saturday morning, and I had to pay extra for an Air Cote D'Voire ticket so I dont miss trip to catch my connecting flight. I reported the issue and wrote plenty of emails and kept getting passed around and till today I got no refund for the new ticket I had to buy even after everyone agreed there was a mistake and I shouldn't have paid for a new ticket.
RouteNew York to Abidjan via Lagos
Date FlownOctober 2019

"exceeded all our expectations"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Mahe to Cape Town via Addis Ababa. The courtesy extended and efficiency certainly exceeded all our expectations. At every point in our trip we were assisted and directed by friendly staff. In addition, we were given hotel vouchers for our Addis Ababa transfer (which we were not expecting) and the transport to and from the airport was effortless. The airline hostesses were friendly and helpful and the food was good. The flight to and from our destination enhanced our holiday experience. We would certainly choose Ethiopian airlines again should the occasion arise.
RouteMahe to Cape Town via Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2019

"forced to take transit hotel"

Trip Verified | Addis Ababa to Mombasa. Food was average. The immigration in the airport forced me to take their transit hotel for an additional US$100 instead of the hotel I booked personally. Ethiopian airlines won’t cover my transit accommodation since my inbound flight was Lufthansa. We got home safe despite being late. Flight attendants were friendly and good service.
RouteAddis Ababa to Mombasa
Date FlownDecember 2019

"service friendly and efficient"

(Oman)

Trip Verified | Muscat to Hargeisa via Addis Ababa on Ethiopian in Economy. MCT-ADD return on a 737, the other flights on a Bombardier Q400. All flights left and arrived on time. Cabins simple (no IFE) but functional with reasonably comfortable seats. All four flights were full. Yet the service was friendly and efficient with very decent Ethiopian food and ample drink offerings, including excellent Ethiopian beer and wine. I cannot confirm many of the earlier reviews on this page. All my recent flights with Ethiopian Airlines were good. I think some of their somewhat tainted reputation might stem from the appalling Addis airport facilities rather than from the airline.
AircraftBoeing 737 / Q400
RouteMuscat to Hargeisa via Addis Ababa

"Exceeded my expectations"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Singapore, airlines like Singapore Airlines only serve a drink, but on this flight I was given a Turkey Ham sandwich with cheese and veg, a drink blanket and pillow and economy class amenity kit containing Socks, toothbrush and toothpaste. Flight was very smooth and landed early, crew was top notch and service is indescribable. Ground staff was great, flight attendant greeted me as I went in and was helpful. All in all, a pleasant flight. In flight entertainment was touchscreen and easy to use, very responsive and the variety of movies is close to Singapore Airlines or Japan Airlines standard. Exceeded my expectations and flying again to Nairobi via Addis soon, can’t wait to see Africa. This airline is world class and I highly recommend you to try it out
RouteKuala Lumpur to Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Will not fly again"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Hong Kong via Addis Ababa. Despite the aircraft being fairly new, they are in well worn condition. The A350-900 from JNB to Addis was only 20 months old, however the seats were torn in some places and seats and carpets dirty. Ground crew not very knowledgeable, cabin crew not great, uniforms tatty, name tags dirty etc. Addis airport is a dog show. Comparable to a Lusaka bus station. Food on both flights was at best low quality. Movies are old and not much to choose from. Only worth taking an Ethiopian Airlines flight if it is very cheap. But be prepared to get what you paid for. Will not fly again, even if its cheap.
AircraftA350-900 / Boeing 787
RouteJohannesburg to Hong Kong via Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2019

"inability to think critically to fix/solve problems"

Not Verified | Kigali to Tokyo via Addis Ababa. Terrible airline. I am often forced to fly Ethiopian as I work throughout Africa and there aren't choices for carriers. If anything (anything at all) goes slightly awry relative the original plans (flight delays, bad weather, ticket date change, upgrading), they are absolutely incompetent and unable to to provide any customer service. I've been re-booked on a different flight without notice, only finding out at the airport, and told to go back home. On other occasions, I've had to change the ticket, but had tremendous issues reaching their so-called "global call centre", which, despite being '24 hours' often seems to have no one working. Rescheduled/delayed flights often lead to missed connections on other Ethiopian planes, but those later flight-legs are not fixed by the airline, so you're left with a lot of trouble-shooting that you must attempt to do on your own via the '24 hour' call centre. I fly frequently (2-3x per month) for work, but aim to avoid Ethiopian whenever I can, as I know that they will mess something up every third time, and at that stage, it becomes a personal nightmare to fix. Oh, and not to mention that they often lose your luggage, even on business class, and won't deliver the lost luggage to your home once found. Finally, what worries me most is the inability to think critically to fix/solve problems. People within the company don't appear to have the latitude to fix issues that arise (if things don't go exactly as per protocol, then everything breaks down and no one takes initiative). It doesn't make me feel particularly safe when an airline's team members, including senior managers, don't appear to have the latitude to problem-solve in the case of unexpected circumstances.
RouteKigali to Tokyo via Addis Ababa