Ethiopian Airlines

"I would fly them again"

Trip Verified | They were good not the best but a resounding B+ grade! The food was good! The tv did work, mostly, and the plane was clean. Air crew were competent. I have no real complaints. They were constantly sending me emails to upgrade my seat. On the whole I would fly them again.
RouteNew York to Delhi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownAugust 2022

"last experience was so disappointing"

Not Verified | Lomé to New York JFK. I used to recommend that company, but my last experience with them was so disappointing. Like we say, as long as there's no issue, everything it's fine. As soon as you need them, you realize that they are not professional at all. They just want your money, they will assist you, call you to book your ticket, but as soon it's done, you're not longer their priority. I was flying from Douala to Lomé, then from Lomé to New York JFK (07/25/22), They lost my bag. And till today no bag, no news from them. I don't even remember how many times I tried to call them, it just rings, they don't pick up, it's like you calling a personal phone. Sometimes it's better to pay more for a better service, I can't recommend them anymore, and am going to keep posting negative reviews on social media to warn people against company like Ethiopian Airlines.
RouteLomé to New York JFK
Date FlownJuly 2022

"claimed my visa was not valid"

Trip Verified | I was denied boarding by a gate agent in Cotonou. The agent could not read English and claimed my visa was not valid. Check-in staff later admitted that it was valid after I had been denied boarding and had missed my flight. Ground staff was unwilling to help and issue a new ticket. The call centre Ethiopian Airlines is thoroughly unhelpful as well. They either keep you waiting for hours or claim there is nothing they can do.
RouteCotonou to Dubai via Addis Ababa
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Overall I would recommend"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | The trip was nice and i think it was pretty good. The food was nice and it was good since you didn't exactly need premium food. there was a chocolate pudding, beef/fish/lamb stew, couscous with chickpeas or pasta, some biscuits and a drink. I thought it was pretty good and the flight had screens and the staff was very nice and kind. My only problem was that when we landed the Ethiopian and other people just pushed everyone out their way. I soon figured that out also in the Ethiopian airport the next day when we boarded our plane to the Seychelles. Overall I would recommend.
RouteCape Town to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2022

"if I missed my flight its not their fault"

Trip Verified | On our way from Addis Ababa en route to Toronto aircraft broke down at Dublin at 5:00AM and was grounded. Pilot announced aircraft had a Hydraulic Pump Failure and could not fly same Day since they needed spares. So we were taken into the Lounge Room at Dublin. We were kept in Lounge room for 11 hours without anything to eat, not even a cookie. There was no Ethiopian Airlines Staff present. I tried to go into the main airport area but I was stopped by Airport security, we were not allowed to leave the Lounge Room. So we just kept there from 5:00AM till 5:00PM when we were told there was another aircraft which came to take us. I had a connecting flight which was to depart at 1:50 PM but we arrived 7:00PM so I had missed the Flight. On the last aircraft I asked the Crew to avail me with internet and me willing to pay so I can email West Jet and let them know I wont be able to make it for my flight and the Crew Lady told me its for paying and I said I am paying then she said that I dont need to worry because many people are going to miss their flight so we are communicating with our Head Office so when you get to Toronto just go to our Desk and they will book you your connecting Flight. When I got to Toronto the Staff told me if I missed my flight its not their fault and I had to spend the night on a bench next to Ethiopian Airlines Desk at Toronto Airport, Then I found my own way to get home and there after raised my complaint to Ethiopian Airlines.
RouteAddis Ababa to Dar Es Salaam
Date FlownJune 2022

"10 hours in Dubai airport"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | They only let passengers know that the first flight from Abidjan to Addis Ababa was cancelled 4 hours after planned departure. After this, still no information about the rest of our journey for us passengers with connecting flights. Only the day after when a new flight from Abidjan to Addis Ababa was coming (24 hours after cancelled one), they informed me that they had changed my booking to fly over Dubai and then to Bahrain with flydubai. This will prolong my flight time with 29 hours, and I miss a full day at work. This itinerary appeared from my online booking but they did not give me any boarding pass or other kind of documentation. They just told me to deal with it in Dubai. Arriving in Dubai at 3am well in advance of my flight with flydubai scheduled for 7:15am, turns out that Ethiopian Airlines had not made any booking for me. The staff from flydubai tells me that their only chance to rebook me is the night flight at 17:00 thus I could look forward to 10 hours in Dubai airport. I run back to the gate where Ethiopian Airlines is boarding the flight back to Addis Ababa, there was a full queue of people waiting to board the flight back to Addis Ababa. I joined the end of the queue and waited until it got my turn. I kindly told one of the Ethiopian Airlines staff that once he had finished with boarding the passengers, I had a claim. They then left the gate, leaving me behind.
RouteAbidjan to Bahrain via Addis Ababa
Date FlownAugust 2022

"an unpleasant and long flight"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Ethiopian Airlines is a disappointing airline. The first flight should not have taken place in the plane we flew in. It was not maintained well. The roof boards were loose. The bathroom was duck taped together. The sink section came out of its socket and was open up. The plane should be taken in for proper maintenance. The food is terrible and I’m one who enjoys plane food. The chicken was rubbery and bland. I recommend bringing your own food. The staff barely offer you something to drink and when the staff were told about the damage they did not attend to it. The equipment on the plane is old and some lucky passengers were given earphones and a blanket, we had to request these items. The second flight was somehow worse. The flight was overbooked. The food was even worse than the first flight, inedible except the bread and cheese. The staff kept the cabin lights on throughout the night so it is impossible to sleep. I requested three times for the cabin lights to be turned off during the dark and I was ignored even though this was possible on the first flight. The seating is uncomfortable and small. This flight ran out of drinkable water. The movies were outdated and it was an unpleasant and long flight. If you travel far I recommend Qatar Airways, it’s more worth the money you pay. I have travelled on many flights with many airlines but I will never fly with Ethiopian Airlines again. I do hope the airline fixes these problems because I do wish the best for them in the future.
RouteJohannesburg to Bangkok via Addis Ababa
Date FlownAugust 2022

"sleeping on the jump seats"

Trip Verified | On my first flight from DXB to Addis, there was a delay due to the weather conditions in Addis. While this delay is beyond Ethiopian Airlines control, unfortunately, there was no prior information given to passengers in Dubai, despite a delay of 6 hours. The more severe issue was, that inflight, when I went to the bathroom at the rear of the aircraft, there were two flight attendants sleeping on the jump seats in the galley.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A350
RouteDubai to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2022

"cabin crew were very friendly"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | We have got a wonderful travel experience. In fact our Scandinavian airline(SAS) flight from Stavanger to Oslo) was cancelled due to pilots strike but luckily we managed to get to Oslo by another carrier and go ahead with Ethiopian Airlines on schedule. All our luggages were safely collected in Addis Ababa and back trip in Oslo. The cabin crew were very friendly and supportive. The airplanes are very clean and modern.
RouteOslo to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2022

"ruined my very expensive vacation"

Trip Verified | Worst airline ever and I have never had such a horrific travel experience. My flight was delayed 7 hr at the start of my itinerary. I was never updated on the new departure time. I kept calling the global center (7x) and they would not verify the new departure time! My flight eventually left at 4am instead of 9pm but I missed all my connections and the start of my safari vacation. All my vacation plans had to be changed at last minute and this was extremely stressful. Then Ethiopian airlines lost my luggage for 7 days. No one from the airlines would help me. They kept saying they had no idea where the bag was even though I knew it was in Addis! The Ethiopian website is not helpful as it is not ever updated! No one contacted me so I had to spend my safari time following up. Finally after 5 days the airline said they would compensate me $100 for the lost bag…but no one at Ethiopian Global office nor in DC would assist me. I am not able to get the compensation! The airlines said they can not help me and I needed to speak with their offices in South Africa! This has been a nightmare experience ! Especially on a business class ticket. For my safari, I was without clothes for half the vacation. Now I Can not get compensation. Everyone I speak to at Ethiopian airlines is extremely rude. No one will let me speak to a manager, or assist me or say they are sorry. On my way home, I had to fight to sit in the Ethiopian lounge. They said I could not sit in the lounge for more than 3 hr and my layover was longer. When I checked on my luggage in Johannesburg , they told the lounge staff I did not have any bags checked in although I had bag tags to prove I had checked luggage - my bag was missing again. I had not yet left Johannesburg. Ethiopian airlines ruined my very expensive vacation and still won’t let me speak to any management about this trip! I can not get anyone to respond to my compensation!
RouteWashington to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa