Ethiopian Airlines

"claim on a damaged bag"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Diass to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa. I have been following up with ET several times with regards to a claim on a damaged bag and unfortunately have been shoved from pillar to post with a no care attitude! All I wanted was for someone at ET was to give me legitimate up to date feedback on what was happening with this damaged bag claim. But since 21 Feb 2018 I have only received useless emails whereby staff have been pushing the responses to different departments with no luck. I even went as far as starting a fresh mail chain hoping this would get a different response but no difference in customer support! Very disappointed and horrified that this is the standard that Ethiopian has claimed their name to...would just like this query to be resolved!
RouteDiass to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"wouldn't recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Mombasa to Toronto with a 3hr layover in Addis Ababa. In MSA they didnt give me the second boarding pass from ADD to YYZ saying their system was down and I would get it in ADD. On arriving in ADD, I was directed to customer service who upon checking my passport and permanent residence card (PR) said that they need to verify with the embassy and i should have a seat as i wait. 45 minutes later (while the lady assisted all other passengers) I stood up to ask her what was going on. She then gave me back my documents without any explanation and asked me to proceed to the gate. At the gate I explained I didnt have a boarding pass and another lady asked me to seat so that she can process my documents. 2 hrs later,and after the call to board I stood up to ask them what was going on. The lady referred me to another person who then told me their system was down. After pleading that I would miss my flight I was given a boarding pass with a different seat number almost at the end. At first I sat patiently both times as I thought maybe something was wrong with my documents. Turns out it was their system all along and instead of communicating with me they were just indifferent to my plight. I wouldn't recommend this airline to any of my friends after what i went through. It was a very long journey and they made it more tiring
RouteMombasa to Toronto via Addis Ababa
Date FlownOctober 2018

"customer service the poorest"

Trip Verified | Buenos Aires to Tel Aviv via Addis Ababa. The customer service was the poorest! First, they charged me $300 more than what it shoes on their app - when I called customer service I had to wait more than 40 minutes to get to a representative that hardly spoke English and told me to Email them. When I did, they responded more than a week later saying the currency exchange was wrong and I was charged in Argentinian pesos and not in the local Ethiopian currency. At some point, they stopped responding to my emails. When I got to Tel Aviv I found out that my belongings in the checked suitcase were broken. I took pictures and sent it to the airline support email, I could only send one picture at the time. Although I sent several Email, I did not get a single response. On the day of the flight, I had 19 hours connection stop in Ethiopia, according to their policy I was supposed to get a night in a hotel, at their expense, which I was supposed to get during the check-in. The lady at the kiosk in Tel Aviv was so rude and kept me waiting till the 15 minutes before boarding, saying I could have booked a later flight and avoid the wait, therefore I'm not entitled to an overnight stay on their expense. Needless to say that when I booked the flight there was no such option (to avoid the wait with a shorter connection). After waiting for her to contact the whole airport, and texting a couple of private friends that had nothing to do with my flight, she told me I have 15 minutes to get to the gate or I will lose my flight. At the gate, I spoke with the "supervisor" who told me I should speak to the airline rep in Ethiopia, when I get there. She also screamed at me, saying its my fault for not choosing shorter connection time, even though I explained to her that I was never given the option. The rep's desk in Ethiopia didn't help much as well, but at the very least they were nice enough to plain to me that the kiosk in Tel Aviv could put me on a later flight that same night and shorten my connection to 4.5 hours. They explained that "they should have done it" or at least offer me that option since that flight was almost empty. I had to spend 19 hours at the not-so-traveler friendly airport in Addis Ababa. My one and only, nightmare type experience with Ethiopian airlines came to an end as soon as I landed back in Buenos Aires. Will never recommend this company to anyone!
RouteBuenos Aires to Tel Aviv via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2018

"return flight also cancelled"

(Tanzania)

Trip Verified | Kilimanjaro to Mahe via Addis Ababa. Flight from Addis to Seychelles was cancelled by a phone call 25 hours before. Then the return flight was also cancelled! This time with no warning, no email. No Ethiopian staff at the airport. This is the first time that I have a flight cancelled. And it happened twice in 1 week, with Ethiopian Airlines. So I won't fly again with them. The connection in Addis airport is terrible. Spent 11 hours there. So happy it won't happen again.
AircraftA350 / Boeing 737
RouteKilimanjaro to Mahe via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2018

"experience was awful"

Trip Verified | We flew Ethiopian from Los Angeles to Dublin. They changed our departure date to two days later and did not email us to tell us about the change. We only found out the day we were supposed to fly by checking the details on a separate online site. I talked to three supervisors and was not able to get an earlier flight, a compensation, or a bump to business class. We nearly missed a wedding and lost money on pre-booked accommodation and buses. They just kept insisting that the system is supposed to send an email. They also did not give us our pre-requested vegetarian meal option. They only had meat and could not give me a main course. Finally they found one vegetarian left and split it between all the people who did not have their requested meal. She kept insisting that we were not on the list for requested meals. A boy was vomiting on the plane and the attendants did not come when we used the button to call them. Nor did they come later when I needed a customs form. My seat could not fully recline and my onboard entertainment system was broken. This whole experience was awful, I told the employees that if they could not do anything to help the situation, either by booking an earlier flight, providing partial or full compensation, or giving us some sort of bump for the lost time and money that we encountered due to their mistake, that I would never fly with them again and would never recommend them. They did nothing and here we are.
RouteLos Angeles to Dublin

"very unpleasant experience"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Addis Ababa to Cape Town. This airline should be called a low service airline. Any interaction with ground staff in Addis Ababa assuming you can speak to them is unpleasant. The staff at Addis Ababa airport speak in one word sentences and often bark instructions at people. 10 days ago I spent 3 and half hours in a queue for a hotel voucher. The staff were rude and unhelpful. When we arrived at the shabby hotel we were offered over cooked food. On my way back to Cape Town today I was forced to stay a night in another hotel. It was a very unpleasant experience bed bugs crawling all over my skin and no hot water to wash them off. I have been coming to Addis Ababa using Ethiopian Airline for thirteen years. It is still as unpleasant as it was thirteen years ago.
RouteAddis Ababa to Cape Town

"No proper communication"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | My plane from Nairobi to Cairo got cancelled. Stayed at JKIA from 3pm to 3am. Had to complain alot before we could be taken to a hotel after a lot of cold and mosquito bites. Didn't help that I travelled with my daughter and young niece. Coming back from Cairo Egyptair was amazing and on time. Arrived at Addis at 4am. ET flight 304 was to leave by 11.45am. Got delayed to 2pm. Got changed to an earlier flight ET 302. To depart at 9:30am. This too got delayed to 12 pm then delayed again to 2pm. Then delayed again to 4pm. How ridiculous. Stayed at airport on this connecting flight for 12 hours straight. No proper communication on what was going on. Rude ground staff especially on boarding flight. Wish communication was more forth coming. No compensation on delayed flight. When I got my luggage in Nairobi it was damaged. Very disappointed. Will never use Ethiopian Airlines again. Very unprofessional service. Stop over at Addis did not help. Crowded airport. Nothing to do there. Few restaurants and duty free shops.
RouteAddis to Nairobi
Date FlownAugust 2018

"we do not have yellow cards"

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Mahe via Addis Ababa. Our flight from Mumbai was delayed by 6 hours but there was no communication on this. As a result we missed our connection from Ethiopia and had to stay back in Ethiopia for a day. When we landed in Ethiopia from Mumbai our luggage was missing. It took them another 3 to 4 hours to find the luggage. I went myself into the storage rooms and looked for the luggage. Upon complaint of this there was no response from the ground staff. Next day when we went to catch our onward flight to Seychelles, we were told that we will be detained here as we do not have yellow cards. This was not asked from any other passengers as we all were on transit visa. Only when we threatened to call Indian Embassy and complain about this were we let go but not before we had to sign a document which had a 5000$ or something bond and said we are responsible if Seychelles decides to detain us.
RouteMumbai to Mahe via Addis Ababa
Date FlownDecember 2017

"lowest level of service possible"

(Lebanon)

Trip Verified | I don't know where to start. The lowest level of service possible, the most ignorant, slow, unskilled and unprofessional staff I've ever seen, the oldest aircraft and amenities possible, the most arrogant, pretentious and unwelcoming employees. What a terrible image of Ethiopia and of your own culture they give to foreigners. They treat their clients with such disregard and nonchalance. And the pretension goes all the way to calling their airline: "The best in Africa." Really? How about the worst in Africa, or even the worst in the world. This airline should stop operating if they don't plan on changing their management.
RouteCape Town to Beirut via Addis Abbaba

"my luggage was damaged"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Riyadh via Addis Ababa. All my flights from beginning to end of my trip were delayed. At Addis Ababa Airport, staff lied about loading my luggage onto my flight. My luggage arrived in Johannesburg a day after I did and it was badly damaged. Ethiopian Airlines refused to do anything about it saying that according to their records my luggage arrived in good order, even though airport staff themselves wrote a comment and signed the delivery invoice acknowledging that my luggage was damaged.
RouteJohannesburg to Riyadh via Addis Ababa