Ethiopian Airlines

"Ethiopian staff are refusing to help book new flights"

(Tanzania)

Trip Verified | My children are stuck in transit in Ethiopia as Ethiopian Airlines keeps delaying their next flight. They told the children that it’s because of weather but many planes are arriving and departing no worries so the weather excuse is obviously a lie. Now it’s over 12 hours! They have now missed their connecting flights and Ethiopian staff are refusing to help book new flights for them or pay for new connecting flights with the airline of the connecting flights which they missed. Disgusting. Did not even give the children a hotel to rest in even though they delayed the flight for over 12 hours.
RouteKilimanjaro to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Average to below average"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Average to below average. Dirty, dated 767 on route. No entertainment. Low calibre staff. Check in chaotic with no queue management. Online check in never works. No counters for online/no check baggage. Food globular but edible.
RouteJohannesburg to Addis Ababa

"Good in-flight service"

Trip Verified | Due to cancellation of my KQ flight EBB-NBO-JNB, I booked a last minute seat on Ethiopian from EBB with a change in ADD. My travel agent booked this new flight in coach and I upgraded to business at airport. It was cumbersome with no agents on ground knowing what to do and finally having to speak on the phone with ET reservations. Took about 35 minutes. Ticket counter staff was courteous but clueless. I was the only business class passenger EBB-ADD. Equipment was an aging 777 with a tired interior. But seats quite comfortable and, in fact, I found the Ethiopian older business class seats far more comfortable than United's over-hyped Polaris service. Transit in ADD was fast and smooth. ET lounge was excellent, comfortable and very courteous service. There was a resting room and buffet of western and Ethiopian food. ADD-JNB flight was practically full both business and coach. A less-tired 777. Good in-flight service. Concerned that there was not a lot of mask wearing on flight and flight attendants made no attempt to enforce masking. Both flights on time. All in all, a very pleassnt surprise.
RouteEntebbe to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2021

"I am chasing them for a refund"

Trip Verified | My flight for July 19th was cancelled by Ethiopian airlines, since 1 month now I am chasing them for a refund. Customer service is incompetent with basic spelling and huge English language understanding issues. If by some miracle you will get through 1h of waiting on hold to go through the customer service call you will face unbelievable issues where a simple task seems impossible to achieve and a refund status follow up is more difficult than a trip to Mars. I will never use this airline again.
RouteDubai to Zanzibar via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2021

"can't fly due to the covid 19 restriction"

Trip Verified | I reserved a ticket to fly to Geneva from Addis Ababa for June 20 and the ticket office provided to me a print ticket. On the flight day the airline told me as I can't fly due to the covid 19 restriction that those a British passport holder's not allow to fly to Schengen countries. I didn't know nothing, no one aware and informed me just I was blindly cheeked my covid test and ready to fly with a lot of plan. After that I asked to get refund but the answer I got the airlines very frustrated and an realistic with all their misinformation.
RouteAddis Ababa to Geneva
Date FlownOctober 2020

"they have completely taken advantage of the pandemic"

Trip Verified | Terrible Customer Service. Avoid at all costs. My daughter was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Madagascar, who intended to take a short trip home just prior to the pandemic. Just days before her scheduled flight, the COVID-19 pandemic triggered a massive evacuation, therefore making her trip null and void. During the process, Ethiopian offered little to no support to my daughter while on the ground in Madagascar. Nevertheless she returned home. Upon her return, we spent the next year and a half trying to negotiate a refund for her flight. First the company offered a voucher good for one year (that we would not be able to use during the pandemic). Then, I sent a series of 7 emails to various company email addresses. I was able to get a response from a reservation representative, but when I provided the requested information, she never responded, despite assigning me a case reference number. This behavior is completely unacceptable, particularly due to the inability to travel beyond our control. We chose this company in good faith and they have completely taken advantage of the pandemic and a customer who has previously traveled with this airline. We will will use this company again.
RouteNosy Be, Madagascar to Boston via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2020

"ridiculous cheap airline"

(Austria)

Not Verified | I just finished 4 flights from Vienna to Addis Ababa and then to Kenya and then the same for the return trip. On every flight, most of the screens were not working or not working properly. The staff were rude with the exception of the nice girls who were at the check-in counter in Vienna. The food was mediocre at best andseats are uncomfortable. I offered to pay for an upgrade on both the longer flights when I arrived at the airport and was told it was not possible despite there being availability. Just a ridiculous cheap airline.
RouteVienna to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2021

"such exemplary client care"

Not Verified | My 85 (almost 86) year old mother was the passenger. I was just doing my best to see to it that my mom was all set, and I am astonished at how well she was treated! From Houston IAH I put my mom on a flight that stopped in Dulles. Over the phone, I was doing my best to help her manage her flight from Dulles airport to her final destination of Zambia Africa. It was nerve wracking, but the crew stepped up and managed everything with such kindness and gentleness toward my mom, that I wanted to say thank you to Ethiopian Airlines for such exemplary client care!
RouteHouston to Zambia
Date FlownMay 2021

"not possible to take the souvenirs on board"

(Slovenia)

Trip Verified | We bought souvenirs (2 ebon giraffes) that we planned to transport as carry-on luggage, like we did many times before on our trips to Africa. We realise the items were slightly taller than carry-on limitations, but this was never a problem with other airlines in the past and other passengers had similar size souvenirs on board. At the check in counter, we were told that it is not possible to take the souvenirs on board and that we need to check them in. We told the employee that the items are very fragile and very expensive, he told us that the airline has separate containers for fragile items and that the souvenirs will not be damaged. We reluctantly agreed as we were not presented with any other options. On our arrival to Milan, we could immediately see that the package was handled with extreme negligence! The package was ripped od several places and it was obvious that the items inside were broken on multiple places. Now, they do not plan to make any effort to resolve the issue, even though the damage occurred solely because we followed their employee demands and assurances against our wishes.
RouteAddis Ababa to Milan
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"I had enjoyable flights with Ethiopian"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Both flights were on time. The seats were in a 2-2-2 configuration, with no direct aisle access of window seats. Plenty of legroom but no privacy due to the rather old seating. Sufficient entertainment system with good amount of movies and music. No wifi at all on both flights because of the aircraft type (B787-8) Crew was helpful and courteous at all times. Food was average, probably because of the pandemic it was more like premium economy. All in all, i can say I had enjoyable flights with Ethiopian.
RouteAthens to Sao Paulo via Addis Ababa