Ethiopian Airlines

"Boeing 737 MAX 8 which is not ideal"

(Ethiopia)

Trip Verified | I travel almost every weekend between Addis and Joburg. I have no choice but to use ET airlines as they have the only direct flights between these locations. First concern is that they use the Boeing 737 MAX 8 which is not ideal for international flights. No entertainment for economy class for 5 hours, the lavatories malfunction. On some occasions, ET will place us on the big Boeing with screens and entertainment, but my screen wouldn't work ... the flight attendant offered me the worst seat (next to the toilet). I declined, and she wasn't even bothered, no apology. The final stroke is when they wanted to take our hand luggage because there was no space in the plane. I don't think they respect the passengers going to South Africa.
RouteAddis Ababa to Johannesburg
Date FlownJune 2024

"not be able to leave the airport"

Trip Verified | I communicated with the airline in advance that I would not be able to leave the airport because I was traveling with an emergency travel document If I bought the 10-hour layover in Addis Ababa from New York's final destination Namibia. The airline as per their policy offered me an in-terminal hotel. On check-in at JFK New York, the agent offered me a voucher for a Presidential hotel. I reiterated that I would not be able to leave the airport. She then said I could change my voucher on arrival in Addis Ababa at the customer service desk. My first experience in flight started with my screen being damaged with lines across the screen, seat 24H. I stayed in the same seat during our layover in Abidjan. On arrival in Addis, I was referred to the Interlink office. I have never been so belittled by a Customer service agent who had the nerve to tell me it was not his fault my passport was not valid. He went on to dismiss me and walked away as I was trying to get answers. His final response was that the Skyline hotel in the terminal was for business class travelers only. Two days ago, I looked at this hotel, and it would have cost me $75 for 5 hours. He offered me dinner and a public bench for 10 hours. I walked back to the customer service desk who offered me access to the gold lounge. He took me to a quiet room I could use, and as a woman, he allowed me to sleep in a darkened room with 4 strange men. I am sitting and writing this in the lounge trying to stay awake for the next 6 hours before my last leg to Windhoek. The food in the lounge is dry, The bar that's supposedly open 24 hours is closed.
RouteNew York to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2024

"a nightmare of a trip"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Ethiopian airlines changed my flight ET844 from the 26th May to 28th May without informing me, I only realised they did that less than 24hrs, I called the call center and they could confirm changing my first leg from CPT to ADD, however they said they are waiting for confirmation from Egyptair because they operate the next leg from ADD to Cairo ( according to my original booking that should have been ET 452). I go to the airport CPT and they say it will be confirmed when I arrive in ADD. I arrive in ADD and they tell me my booking is confirmed but I will get my boarding pass at the gate and I have to wait in the airport for 7.10 hours. I told the officer please if my ticket is not confirmed then I can take the next day flight and get an hotel, he said no you are on this flight. 6 hrs later I go to the gate at 4 am (departure at 5.15am) and the woman at the gate A8 was the least helpful and very rude person, she refused to call interline and told me I am not on this flight and go sort it myself. I spoke to Egyptair and he told me its not my problem it is Ethiopian Airlines mess to sort out. At the end I had to wait for Interline officers to arrive, and they booked me on the next day's flight at 10pm, so I had to spend 24hrs in ADD airport. This was a nightmare of a trip.
RouteCape Town to Addis Ababa
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"complicated process of trying to cancel"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | The website check out process is faulty. After several attempts to book the website generated error messages and no booking or confirmation. Later I found out that they had reserved several thousand dollars and created several bookings without my knowledge. This led to a complicated process of trying to cancel and retrieve my money. Their customer service was bad and had no apology. Nor were they helpful in deleting/altering the multiple bookings that were incorrect.
RouteStockholm to Lusaka via Stockholm
Date FlownMay 2024

“wrote several emails and no response”

Trip Verified | I flew from Kuala Lumpur to Addis Ababa with a brief stop over at Singapore then proceeded to Addis then connect to Nairobi via a different aircraft, ET318. I lost my luggage and launched a property irregularity report at JKIA Nairobi where I was provided a file reference number and online site to track it. A week went and no update. Their 'check status of the bag and manage file online' platform allows for editing and adding information to help trace the bag. I did all this, and after some days wrote a message in the same platform but no one responded back. I went to the Ethiopian website and located contact numbers for lost baggage plus email address. I tried the numbers listed and no one was picking. I wrote several emails and no response. This is the worst experience for Ethiopian Airlines having an online platform that is just there to fool the customers whereas there is no one who monitors it, and if there is, then they are just lousy. A month is gone and up to date no feedback and no one to reach out to.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownMay 2024

"cabin crew were truly amazing"

(Ethiopia)

Not Verified | I normally don’t do reviews but today was exceptional because after a long time of losing hope on Ethiopian Airlines provided services and the service givers today I got to encounter something that has made me restore my hope on them again. We flew from Bangkok to Addis and our cabin crew were truly amazing, especially Jaleni, she was the reason I had to write this review. She greeted us with a spectacular smile and while in flight she took her time to treat everyone patiently and made sure we were truly comfortable. Honestly I was amazed to experience this because normally our flights with Ethiopian Airlines has to encounter with a situation that would disappoint us but this flight with The whole cabin crew on that flight were superb.
RouteBangkok to Addis Ababa
Date FlownMay 2024

"the worst I’ve experienced"

Trip Verified | The quality of aircraft, food, entertainment and ground service are one of the worst I’ve experienced. Service is always friendly in the air though. The seat (business class) was dirty and the power did not work. The entertainment system must have been 15 years old with almost no new entertainment options. The food was overall pretty terrible - dry and weird tasting. I could not eat most of it. No wifi entire flight even though it was advertised. Addis airport is a mess. Dirty and crowded. Very disorganized.
RouteWashington to Kigali via Addis Ababa

"not having my luggage"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Lost luggage was sent to Malabo but we were nor informed and the luggage was not updated on the system. Been washing and wearing wet clothes each morning. Will never fly with them again. As an offshore worker, not having my luggage, equipment to do my job is inside, and deodorant etc is really a horrible situation. Cannot believe that the airline has become so shockingly useless.
RouteJohannesburg to Malabo via Addis Ababa

"Another brilliant flight"

Not Verified | Another brilliant flight. Sensible meal after 00.20 take off from Addis Breakfast large at 05.00. Everything fine. Arrived 3 minutes late. Fly very regularly with ET both from London and within Ethiopia Also flew to Windhoek and back from Cape Town in March.
RouteAddis Ababa to London Gatwick
Date FlownApril 2024

"ultimately delayed by 4 hours"

Trip Verified | This flight was ultimately delayed by 4 hours, which caused several things to go wrong during our further journey. Firstly, a 1 hour delay was announced due to 'technical problems', then another 1 hour due to 'staff problems'. Then it is said that the flight has been moved to 4:30, so an additional 2 hours. After this, water and dinner are provided, for which thanks, but we can hardly sit anywhere. You are not allowed to take a seat in restaurants in the area. This should have been communicated between employees and a plan made. We then leave unclear what will happen next with the adjacent flight that we will miss; this was the 7 hour flight from Vienna to Amsterdam. An employee says they are going to rebook and we are receiving emails. We never received this. We arrive in Vienna and here Austrian airlines can solve it for you. They book a flight to Amsterdam via Frankfurt, which is first delayed to 7:30 PM and later cancelled. This leaves us stuck in Frankfurt. Then we had to rebook again to come to the Netherlands. We received this via Hannover, 9:10 on April 16. Initially there was no hotel included and we had to call Ethiopian airlines. Called this and the employee on the other end seemed to have poor English or had difficulty understanding us due to the connection. We understood her clearly. She tells us that ET has no accommodation and so we have to be on our own. Fortunately, we were still able to get a hotel voucher with dinner and breakfast from KLM. So they had provided something. A received respons from ET said this: First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing Ethiopian Airlines for your trip to Africa. We are deeply sorry and want to apologize for the inconveniences caused to you by the delay of flight ET 724 on 14.04.2024 from Addis Ababa Vienna. Of course, this does not comply with the high expectations of quality and service that Ethiopian Airlines promises and that our customers can expect on all of our flights. Regarding your claim for compensation due to the delay of the flights, we are sorry to tell you that Ethiopian Airlines is not able to meet your demands. The EG No. 261/2004 act from 17th December 2004 Art. 9 and the verdict of the EuGH from 19th November 2009 refer only to domestic flights or flights that depart from EU-countries and airlines that are registered in the EU. The settlement regarding compensation payment unfortunately is not applicable in your case which means that Ethiopian Airlines is not liable for compensation. Thank you for understanding that we cannot give any refunds for neither lump-sum payments nor subsequent damages like missed holidays or appointments. It is our utmost concern that you can put your trust in Ethiopian Airlines again on future flights, where we would be happy to prove our reliability to you once again. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions. Never again.
RouteAddis Ababa to Vienna