Ethiopian Airlines

"attitude is so unprofessional"

Trip Verified | Newark to Addis Ababa. They cancelled my flight a day before the trip without notifying me and put me on a flight that was 2 days later. There was no communication regarding this. Luckily i Checked the flight status in the morning. I somehow managed to get the tickets moved to next day, this threw my plans of the trip off and not to mention the inconvenience it added for me with a 3 year old kid. I contacted to the Ethiopian customer service to tell them about the situation all they did was route me from one center to the other. I raised a ticket with them on their website. I did not get any response. I sent them a follow up email after 2 weeks , they did not get back, not even a simple apology. The attitude is so unprofessional. I'm surprised this is how they treat their customer.
RouteNewark to Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2018

"did her job very professional"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Kigali via Addis Ababa. I wasn’t expecting their service was one of the best airlines, it was exceptional and very accomodating. I have to give 5 star to one of the Cabin Crew, she did her job very professional! I was surprised with her gesture, there was no meat food left so i refused to take the vegetable food,but after few minutes she came back giving me business class food just for me to eat. She was so kind!
RouteDubai to Kigali via Addis Ababa
Date FlownDecember 2018

"staff were friendly and attentive"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Ouagadougou via Addis Ababa. When I booked my flights my expectations were quite low, especially compared to some Middle Eastern airlines. I have to say it was very satisfactory for the price I paid. The one area, however, that I would want them to improve is the food. The food was average to awful during the flights, especially the one during ADD to OUA and back was almost impossible to eat. It was fish with lots of cabbage with cabbage pickle. However, The rest was fairly fine. The newly renovated airport in Addis Ababa is partially opened adding extra seats and comfort. The staff were friendly and attentive. The cleanliness was acceptable too. On board entertainment could be better, but wasn't bad either. So, yes. Overall for Price value--Very good. With a better food, it would be excellent.
RouteTokyo to Ouagadougou via Addis Ababa

Ethiopian Airlines customer review

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur - Singapore in Business Class with Ethiopian Airlines. Initially got seat 4L, but since that was for the pilot not on duty, I was then relocated to 1L. Comfort seat with good cabin crew service, even though less interaction. Food was inadequate for C class.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Singapore
Date FlownNovember 2018

"56 hrs layover had been added"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | I booked ticket on 20 Sep from Singapore to Sao Paulo via Addis Ababa, departing and arriving on 24 Nov. Today (19 Nov) when I tried to select seat, to my horror I found that my ADD-GRU flight had been changed to 26 Nov. I could not believe that 56 hrs layover had been added without informing me. It would have meant losing money onward flights and hotel bookings, not to mention the horror of sleeping at the airport for 3 days. I called booking office and they told me that flight on 24th had been cancelled. Anyway, the staff was able to change the ticket to normal stop over. Still, It's absolutely unacceptable that the airline would change flight dates without informing passengers (I notice that the website was selling ticket for the cancelled flight as recently as last week).
RouteSingapore to Sao Paulo via Addis Ababa
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Nobody knew anything"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Once in the air, the flight was pleasant. All the services before and after flight are very weak, operations and workflow are badly managed, staff are insufficiently trained and prepared. They show no initiative (except cabin crew in business as I later experienced). After I read some reviews on Skytrax, I should have seen it coming. So, if nothing goes wrong, you have the chance to have a very pleasant flight. When the slightest problems arise, you will suffer. Our original flight from Brussels to Maputo (via Vienna and Addis) was cancelled and had to fly from Paris instead. No transport was provided, nor alternative flights to Vienna where the flight ADD was still departing. Paris-Addis flight we were downgraded. Old 777 from Paris was not very comfortable, later had new B787-900 on way back to Brussels which is much better. Before the flight, customer service lines were useless. Nobody knew anything. Services in ADD airport are less than satisfactory. And I'm still waiting refund for the missed business class seat, no contact from the airlines or answer to my request.
RouteBrussels to Maputo via Addis Ababa
Date FlownNovember 2018

"delay due to a technical issue"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Windhoek via Addis Ababa. Wouldnt recommend it. Planes are worn down even if new. Staff busy with making selfies instead of caring about customers during the flight. We had a delay due to a technical issue with the plane in Addis Ababa. Communication was poor at best, were waiting for 1,5hrs until boarding suddenly started. Airport in Addis Ababa feels like a 3rd world construction site.
RouteFrankfurt to Windhoek via Addis Ababa
Date FlownOctober 2018

"acted like a low cost airline"

Trip Verified | During my whole experience with Ethiopian Airlines I was mistreated, lied to, not enough compensated, flight cost was 800 EUR, and they acted like a low cost airline, showing no respect/costumer service and inefficiency. I had a flight going from Addis Ababa to Paris, guy on the counter told me there was a “change in aircraft” & issued me a “standby ticket” but told me there was nothing wrong & seat would be assigned at gate. My baggage was checked, I then proceeded to do security, and asked two more people, told me there was “nothing wrong”, I did the line, waited to hop on the plane, me together with other 5 were on standby. They told me the flight was full, if there was any seat they’d give it to me - they didn’t, instead, they gave it to the other guys that arrived later. I stayed there shocked, and waited & waited, they told me they were going to put me on plane to another city in Europe and then connect me to Paris and issued a ticket for me to go to Geneva - so after one very stressful hour, took me to the office so they’d re-issue a ticket for the next flight (which was in 24 hours) and give me an economic compensation at this point, information was never clear and all agents seemed unprepared. I arrived to the office to find out my “compensation” was 200 dollars for a mistake they did agent again acted rude. They issued me a boarding pass with assigned flight for the next day and gave me a paper to “cash in” the money in “any ticket office of Ethiopian Airlines” literal words from the agent. Next day I came to the Airport, to cash in my money - surprise, they “couldn’t cash money at airport” “they didn’t have dollars” “supervisor couldnt sign the release paper” were some of the various excuses they gave me. They told me to pick up the money at the Hilton Hotel in the city 30 min drive from the airport. I arrived at the hotel, and they didn't have dollars, so....they told me they were going to “try to get the money”. Told me to give them my number and they will call me with a “solution”. I went away, and at 3:50pm they called me to tell me they had the money, that I had until 5pm to get there (another 30-40 minute drive) and get it - rudeness again was present They told me I couldn’t get it at the airport, since no supervisor was available to give me the money, going to the hotel was mandatory. I picked up the ridiculous 200USD, and thought this was the final chapter of this bad Ethiopian movie. I get on the plane the next day at 11:30 pm Sunday (after spending one day in Addis) battling with Ethiopian Airlines, get on the plane, get seated on my seat and another woman with a baby and I had he same seats assigned, and a very rude Ethiopian Airlines agent demanded I moved, since the woman had also this seat.
RouteAddis Ababa to Paris
Date FlownNovember 2018

"My experience was exceptional"

Not Verified | Hesitant given complaints by other reviews on tardy departures. My experience was exceptional: On-time flight, great attention to detail, tasty food (nice coffee), and nice lounge (shared with Skyteam, although ET belongs to Star Alliance). Seat was not completely parallel to the floor, but acceptable even on a longer flight (and I'm 6'1"). I would definitely fly Ethiopian Airlines again.
RouteSão Paulo to Buenos Aires

"Excellent choice"

Trip Verified | Zanzibar to London via Addis Abbaba. Excellent choice recommended by our tour organiser. Probably the quickest route to Zanzibar from London. Business class service excellent and at a good price. A350-900 a very modern plane and felt it. Flat bed very welcome. Nice touch is a separate bus at Addis guaranteeing priority boarding. No hesitation in using them again.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / A350-900