Ethiopian Airlines

"the luggage was never loaded"

Trip Verified | Our flight ET629 was delayed by over 5 hours owing to bad weather, resulting in our missed connection to Kigali. To cut a long story short, it was a nightmare to get ourselves on the next available flight. They had inexplicably put us on the following morning’s flight which would have meant that we missed 2 days of our tour instead of 1. They had the audacity initially to ask for additional payment of USD250 each for the earlier flight when we were prepared to downgrade from business to economy!. It was only with the intervention of 1 kind staff in ADD airport, that we managed ultimately to get on the next flight to Kigali. Arriving well past mid-night, we had a rude shock when we realised our luggage did not make it. This despite our conscientious checks at every leg of the travel with the ET staff. Every single one claimed that our luggage was loaded. It turned out that either every single one lied or the system was wrong. Through Star Alliance, we subsequently realised the luggage was never loaded in the first place from Bangkok. Adding insult to injury, not once did ET apologize for the ordeal or contact us. We only learnt that our luggage arrived the next morning when the Rwanda Lost Luggage personnel called our agent to inform him. We requested ET to provide us with official confirmation of the various delays (in support of our insurance claims) and was again sent on a “not so merry go round” with again “sympathetic noises made” but no action or follow up. On the return flight, they refused to check in our luggage to the final destination in Singapore, claiming that they could not do so as our final leg was with Singapore Airlines. This despite the fact that Singapore Airlines is part of Star Alliance. It should be noted that Singapore Airlines was able to check our luggage in from Singapore to Kigali. In a separate call with Singapore Airlines, the staff confirmed that ET should have checked the luggage in all the way to Singapore. So again, we were severely stressed as we had to clear customs in Bangkok, collect our bags and check in again for our flight to Singapore. All to be done within 2 hours. Lo and behold, we ran to the luggage belt only wait and subsequently see “Delayed Baggage” - no explanation, no apology. It was nothing short of a miracle for us to eventually make it on our Singapore Airline flight. To be fair, the service from the crew on board was good, the food was fair and the beverages good. But the rest of the ground staff (other than the one solitary gem - Amen) are a disgrace. I will not recommend anyone to take this airline.
RouteBangkok to Kigali via Addis Adaba
Date FlownJune 2024

"Luggage is never on schedule"

(Qatar)

Not Verified | I lost part of luggage from the duty free shop from Bole to Buq, got into contact with the Doha office. The gentlemen promised to look into my issue and said it would take time. Nothing has been said about that. Recently I requested to change my travel dates and to my surprise I was charged QR 150 yet there were still 7 days before departure. The attendant called it a penalty. I thought I had come in early but alas. Luggage is never on schedule and yet there are no concessions. If you are paying by card there is a 10.0% surcharge they actually want cash. We cannot be forced to give them cash through shady rules. I await a day when there will be more flights on the African routes and we will see who will be stuck to blood suckers.
RouteBulawayo to Hamad via Addis Ababa
Date FlownAugust 2023

"Boeing 737 MAX 8 which is not ideal"

(Ethiopia)

Trip Verified | I travel almost every weekend between Addis and Joburg. I have no choice but to use ET airlines as they have the only direct flights between these locations. First concern is that they use the Boeing 737 MAX 8 which is not ideal for international flights. No entertainment for economy class for 5 hours, the lavatories malfunction. On some occasions, ET will place us on the big Boeing with screens and entertainment, but my screen wouldn't work ... the flight attendant offered me the worst seat (next to the toilet). I declined, and she wasn't even bothered, no apology. The final stroke is when they wanted to take our hand luggage because there was no space in the plane. I don't think they respect the passengers going to South Africa.
RouteAddis Ababa to Johannesburg
Date FlownJune 2024

"not be able to leave the airport"

Trip Verified | I communicated with the airline in advance that I would not be able to leave the airport because I was traveling with an emergency travel document If I bought the 10-hour layover in Addis Ababa from New York's final destination Namibia. The airline as per their policy offered me an in-terminal hotel. On check-in at JFK New York, the agent offered me a voucher for a Presidential hotel. I reiterated that I would not be able to leave the airport. She then said I could change my voucher on arrival in Addis Ababa at the customer service desk. My first experience in flight started with my screen being damaged with lines across the screen, seat 24H. I stayed in the same seat during our layover in Abidjan. On arrival in Addis, I was referred to the Interlink office. I have never been so belittled by a Customer service agent who had the nerve to tell me it was not his fault my passport was not valid. He went on to dismiss me and walked away as I was trying to get answers. His final response was that the Skyline hotel in the terminal was for business class travelers only. Two days ago, I looked at this hotel, and it would have cost me $75 for 5 hours. He offered me dinner and a public bench for 10 hours. I walked back to the customer service desk who offered me access to the gold lounge. He took me to a quiet room I could use, and as a woman, he allowed me to sleep in a darkened room with 4 strange men. I am sitting and writing this in the lounge trying to stay awake for the next 6 hours before my last leg to Windhoek. The food in the lounge is dry, The bar that's supposedly open 24 hours is closed.
RouteNew York to Addis Ababa

"a nightmare of a trip"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Ethiopian airlines changed my flight ET844 from the 26th May to 28th May without informing me, I only realised they did that less than 24hrs, I called the call center and they could confirm changing my first leg from CPT to ADD, however they said they are waiting for confirmation from Egyptair because they operate the next leg from ADD to Cairo ( according to my original booking that should have been ET 452). I go to the airport CPT and they say it will be confirmed when I arrive in ADD. I arrive in ADD and they tell me my booking is confirmed but I will get my boarding pass at the gate and I have to wait in the airport for 7.10 hours. I told the officer please if my ticket is not confirmed then I can take the next day flight and get an hotel, he said no you are on this flight. 6 hrs later I go to the gate at 4 am (departure at 5.15am) and the woman at the gate A8 was the least helpful and very rude person, she refused to call interline and told me I am not on this flight and go sort it myself. I spoke to Egyptair and he told me its not my problem it is Ethiopian Airlines mess to sort out. At the end I had to wait for Interline officers to arrive, and they booked me on the next day's flight at 10pm, so I had to spend 24hrs in ADD airport. This was a nightmare of a trip.
RouteCape Town to Addis Ababa
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"complicated process of trying to cancel"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | The website check out process is faulty. After several attempts to book the website generated error messages and no booking or confirmation. Later I found out that they had reserved several thousand dollars and created several bookings without my knowledge. This led to a complicated process of trying to cancel and retrieve my money. Their customer service was bad and had no apology. Nor were they helpful in deleting/altering the multiple bookings that were incorrect.
RouteStockholm to Lusaka via Stockholm
Date FlownMay 2024

“wrote several emails and no response”

Trip Verified | I flew from Kuala Lumpur to Addis Ababa with a brief stop over at Singapore then proceeded to Addis then connect to Nairobi via a different aircraft, ET318. I lost my luggage and launched a property irregularity report at JKIA Nairobi where I was provided a file reference number and online site to track it. A week went and no update. Their 'check status of the bag and manage file online' platform allows for editing and adding information to help trace the bag. I did all this, and after some days wrote a message in the same platform but no one responded back. I went to the Ethiopian website and located contact numbers for lost baggage plus email address. I tried the numbers listed and no one was picking. I wrote several emails and no response. This is the worst experience for Ethiopian Airlines having an online platform that is just there to fool the customers whereas there is no one who monitors it, and if there is, then they are just lousy. A month is gone and up to date no feedback and no one to reach out to.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownMay 2024

"cabin crew were truly amazing"

(Ethiopia)

Not Verified | I normally don’t do reviews but today was exceptional because after a long time of losing hope on Ethiopian Airlines provided services and the service givers today I got to encounter something that has made me restore my hope on them again. We flew from Bangkok to Addis and our cabin crew were truly amazing, especially Jaleni, she was the reason I had to write this review. She greeted us with a spectacular smile and while in flight she took her time to treat everyone patiently and made sure we were truly comfortable. Honestly I was amazed to experience this because normally our flights with Ethiopian Airlines has to encounter with a situation that would disappoint us but this flight with The whole cabin crew on that flight were superb.
RouteBangkok to Addis Ababa
Date FlownMay 2024

"the worst I’ve experienced"

Trip Verified | The quality of aircraft, food, entertainment and ground service are one of the worst I’ve experienced. Service is always friendly in the air though. The seat (business class) was dirty and the power did not work. The entertainment system must have been 15 years old with almost no new entertainment options. The food was overall pretty terrible - dry and weird tasting. I could not eat most of it. No wifi entire flight even though it was advertised. Addis airport is a mess. Dirty and crowded. Very disorganized.
RouteWashington to Kigali via Addis Ababa

"not having my luggage"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Lost luggage was sent to Malabo but we were nor informed and the luggage was not updated on the system. Been washing and wearing wet clothes each morning. Will never fly with them again. As an offshore worker, not having my luggage, equipment to do my job is inside, and deodorant etc is really a horrible situation. Cannot believe that the airline has become so shockingly useless.
RouteJohannesburg to Malabo via Addis Ababa