Egyptair

"subsequently lost my luggage"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to Cairo. Would never ever fly with this airline again. Although I checked in through Etihad my flight was with EgyptAir. Had issues when transfering within the airport and the staff were incredibly rude and refused to listen to anything I was saying. They subsequently lost my luggage and have refused to acknowledge this. I have not once had a reply to any email, calls or tweets that I have sent. All of the numbers come up as invalid. I did receive a reply for a facebook message which was a copy and pasted version of their website instructions. I am disgusted with the whole experience.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Cairo
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"cabin crew were friendly"

(Egypt)

Not Verified | Cairo to Bangkok. Its a good airline according to its price. It was a comfortable flight, cabin crew were friendly and always wanted to help, food was amazing with many choices of drinks (all alcohol free) and also they had a great choices of movies. Coffee was really good, also they had an internet connection but it was a bit expensive.
AircraftA330-300
RouteCairo to Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"was no accommodation booked"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Medina via Cairo. In January this year we embarked on a pilgrimage to the Holy Cities of Makkah and Medina. Our flights had been booked on Egypt Air. The agent who’d arranged the logistics of our journey assured us that Egypt Air was a decent airline and that our journey would be pleasant. We trusted him, since the journey to Medina, via Cairo, had been pleasant enough. We weren’t overly concerned about the 23 hour layover in Cairo that loomed ahead of us on the return leg. He guaranteed us that EgyptAir would arrange accommodation for our group and that we’d be issued transit visas which would allow us to do a bit of sightseeing before setting off for home. The children were especially excited about this. A chance to see the pyramids! When we stood in the queue at their passport control, never had I encountered an immigration official this rude! He demanded that transit passengers sit down! So we sat. We were a fairly large group, it turned out. Twenty five South Africans and a smattering of Nigerians. Anticipating a long-ish wait, we got comfortable. Greeted our fellow wayfarers, shared what food we had among us and waited. It was two hours before a bus was sent to collect us. We were then driven to the main airport building where we were just told to go upstairs. Here we found an Egypt Air Customer Services desk where a handful of agents were dozing on desks. When someone finally rose to come and see to us, we were told that since we’d arrived early in Cairo, there was nothing he could do for us. There was no accommodation booked. We should go and sleep in the mosque. We were stunned. Egypt Air Customer services aren’t big on responding to the same question twice, clearly. The agent became rude and surly at this point. Seeing that we would make no progress with this particularly unhelpful help desk at near 3AM, we sought out the prayer room. The ladies’ section was just about empty. The ladies and children huddled in groups on the stone-hard floor and tried to sleep. It was freezing! For the men, the night would turn out being much more uncomfortable. The men’s section of the prayer room was full of men who had hours to wait before their connecting flights.
RouteJohannesburg to Medina via Cairo
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"very charming flight attendants"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Cairo and back excellent airline, fast check-in, smooth boarding, very charming flight attendants, good food in quality and quantity, three choices, chicken, beef and fish IFE is overhead screens and some music channels, which is good enough for a four hours flight.
RouteBerlin to Cairo
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Not worth the extra money"

Trip Verified | Hurghada to Cairo. Flight was on time, and luggage claim fast. Overall service was pretty poor. Domestic terminal was filthy. Paid for business class, but seats were identical, no business class lounge or boarding line. Only difference between economy and business is seat at front of the plane, and a small tasteless sandwich. Not worth the extra money.
AircraftEMB170
RouteHurghada to Cairo
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Always expect an issue"

(Lebanon)

Not Verified | Cairo to Beirut. Worst airline I have been with. The couple of times I have been with them my flights got delayed. Fleet not so new and maintained. Crew not so professional. Always expect an issue when you decide to go for them; either a delay, mishandled baggage, paid seats cancellation, rudeness, discomfort.
RouteCairo to Beirut
Date FlownDecember 2018

"good old style business class"

Trip Verified | Rome to Cairo. Excellent service from check in to the flight. The Lounges at Rome Egyptair use Alitalia. There are a number of lounges. I used two, I didn't realise gate E had a lounge beside it. Good food selection, fine quality wines and spirits as Egyptair is a dry airline I filled up at the lounge. Excellent service. On board the hostess took my overcoat and hung it in the Wardrobe, I notice a lot of European carriers don't offer this service anymore. The flight had very comfortable seats for a two to three hour flight. Cradle type, just two seats beside each other in business much better than the usual tight European business class. The meal was very good, I had steak and the drinks even though non alcoholic were nice fruit juices. Relaxing flight and my bags were first off at Cairo Airport ready for my onward journey to the hotel. Overall good old style business class a great service, friendly smiling staff and uneventful flight.
RouteRome to Cairo
Date FlownNovember 2018

"wouldn't fly them again in economy"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London via Cairo. I was originally booked in business class for this flight, but I had to change my flight and ended up getting downgraded to economy. At Bangkok airport, there was a line for Business class passengers that looked rather long. Boarding was relatively organised, although I did manage to get on ahead of those seated in my zone. After takeoff, the crew dragged meal service for an hour and a half. On this flight, the catering was provided by Thai, and was the same thing I got on my flight to London with Thai. The only difference being served a salad with a hideous dressing instead of a meat appetiser. After meal service, I attempted to sleep. I was in the middle row, and there was two of us, my seatmate was on the right aisle and he slept in his seat without any problems. Even though I had three seats to myself, I couldn't get good sleep on this flight. The recline was too little. Ultimately I did manage to go to sleep after an hour trying to find a good (and awkward) position. A good feature of the seat is the footrest. A bad feature of the seat is the minimal head support, and I found myself wrestling with the headrest during boarding trying to get it up. They also gave us amenity kits. Which were the same amenity kits given to business class passengers. Transit is a good experience in Cairo, as you go through security at the gate. Unfortunately, something that didn't happen on my outbound flight was an organised boarding. They shouted "Bangkok" and people went sprinting to the gate. This time, they shouted "Business Class" and let business class passengers get on first. I was quite cross since this didn't happen when I flew Business. On this flight, I found myself calling the flight attendant repeatedly as my seatmate (Not travelling with me) was not served a snack when everyone else was served one. One of the funny things that happened on this flight was that there was a crying baby, but no one seemed to mind, including myself. I am not very happy with my Egyptair experience, and I'd take my word back where I said I would be alright to fly with them in business class, rather, I'd probably choose another Star Alliance carrier in future. Egyptair is quite a rubbish choice, and I wouldn't fly them again in economy, but I might consider their business class in the future.
AircraftA330-300 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteBangkok to London via Cairo
Date FlownDecember 2018

"I would recommend Egyptair"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Brussels to Cairo return. Beside a short delay inbound and outbound of about half an hour I have no complaints. Service was very good. Friendly crew, standard economy meal which tasted quite good and more leg space compared to most European airlines. Also the inflight entertainment system was ok. I would fly with Egyptair again and was very happy to see the transformation from a bad airline in the past to a good reliable airline now. So, in summary: friendly crew, sufficient flight entertainment system, satisfying food along with with a second serving of drinks with a slice of cake (an appreciated extra) and lots of leg space which is very important for me. I would recommend Egyptair. Airplane was a modern Boeing 737-800.
RouteBrussels to Cairo
Date FlownNovember 2018

"proved to be professional"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | London to Bangkok via Cairo. I was quite sceptical when I booked Egyptair, their reviews weren’t fantastic but I booked them on the basis that they were a star alliance member (I needed the miles) and also because of a very cheap ticket (£1250). At Heathrow airport, I arrived 6 hours early for my flight (I do this often) as I wanted to avoid the rush hour Piccadilly line to Heathrow. I used the self check in desks however they didn’t work as well as my bag tag was printed but not my boarding pass. But the friendly Check in agent was able to print out my boarding pass. Air Canada lounge in Heathrow was really good, food offering was plenty and seats weren’t an issue. Boarding was relatively organised however a bit sluggish. There was an odd choice of drinks, strawberry juice (which has whole strawberries inside) and pineapple juice. We had a slightly late departure but not too bad. Food on this flight was relatively good, although I think I may have chosen the wrong main course, as the other options sounded better. The fish and prawns were a bit dry, but nothing too bad. The big issue was that my seatmate (not travelling with me) was given a vegan special meal he didn’t order. The seat was comfortable, and there was lots of legroom! Everything was where it needed to be, and the recline was plenty. Entertainment was alright, not too good but could be better. The crew on this flight were absolutely fantastic. The purser (with 38 years experience) was amazing. She provided such good service that most of the passengers couldn’t resist giving her a handshake as they left the aircraft. Transit in Cairo is chaotic, but you only need to clear security at the gate. The first lounge I went to was a smoking lounge (the entire airport already smelled of cigarette smoke) then the second was a similar story, after which I was directed to a non smoking lounge, small, and some people couldn’t sit together. Food offering wasn’t bad and I didn’t go hungry for my red eye flight. This time, the crew dragged dinner service for two hours after departure, and I had to skip dessert (luckily I ate in the lounge). The seat on the A330 is noticeably smaller than the 777. It’s the same seat compressed into a smaller cabin. Legroom was decreased and the seat recline slightly decreased. Departure was delayed by half an hour and flight time was increased by half an hour, which meant I had to run through Bangkok airport to connect to another domestic flight. The crew on this flight were a little less friendly than the London flight, but still proved to be professional. The seat was angled flat, which sounded good for me in theory, but wasn’t too comfortable as i spent the same amount of time trying to fall asleep as i would’ve if I’d have been sat in an premium economy seat. WiFi was offered at an expensive price, so I chose not to use it. Overall, i am quite satisfied with my Egyptair experience, and would certainly fly them again for the price offered as they have drastically improved from the last time I flew with them. There are still some old school charms about flying them, especially the way they present their meal service. The main reason I chose Egyptair was that they are a star alliance member. Although, I would more likely choose a different airline for long haul solo travelling as I would prefer a 1-2-1 business class.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / A330-300