Egyptair

"wouldn't fly them again in economy"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London via Cairo. I was originally booked in business class for this flight, but I had to change my flight and ended up getting downgraded to economy. At Bangkok airport, there was a line for Business class passengers that looked rather long. Boarding was relatively organised, although I did manage to get on ahead of those seated in my zone. After takeoff, the crew dragged meal service for an hour and a half. On this flight, the catering was provided by Thai, and was the same thing I got on my flight to London with Thai. The only difference being served a salad with a hideous dressing instead of a meat appetiser. After meal service, I attempted to sleep. I was in the middle row, and there was two of us, my seatmate was on the right aisle and he slept in his seat without any problems. Even though I had three seats to myself, I couldn't get good sleep on this flight. The recline was too little. Ultimately I did manage to go to sleep after an hour trying to find a good (and awkward) position. A good feature of the seat is the footrest. A bad feature of the seat is the minimal head support, and I found myself wrestling with the headrest during boarding trying to get it up. They also gave us amenity kits. Which were the same amenity kits given to business class passengers. Transit is a good experience in Cairo, as you go through security at the gate. Unfortunately, something that didn't happen on my outbound flight was an organised boarding. They shouted "Bangkok" and people went sprinting to the gate. This time, they shouted "Business Class" and let business class passengers get on first. I was quite cross since this didn't happen when I flew Business. On this flight, I found myself calling the flight attendant repeatedly as my seatmate (Not travelling with me) was not served a snack when everyone else was served one. One of the funny things that happened on this flight was that there was a crying baby, but no one seemed to mind, including myself. I am not very happy with my Egyptair experience, and I'd take my word back where I said I would be alright to fly with them in business class, rather, I'd probably choose another Star Alliance carrier in future. Egyptair is quite a rubbish choice, and I wouldn't fly them again in economy, but I might consider their business class in the future.
AircraftA330-300 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteBangkok to London via Cairo
Date FlownDecember 2018

"I would recommend Egyptair"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Brussels to Cairo return. Beside a short delay inbound and outbound of about half an hour I have no complaints. Service was very good. Friendly crew, standard economy meal which tasted quite good and more leg space compared to most European airlines. Also the inflight entertainment system was ok. I would fly with Egyptair again and was very happy to see the transformation from a bad airline in the past to a good reliable airline now. So, in summary: friendly crew, sufficient flight entertainment system, satisfying food along with with a second serving of drinks with a slice of cake (an appreciated extra) and lots of leg space which is very important for me. I would recommend Egyptair. Airplane was a modern Boeing 737-800.
RouteBrussels to Cairo
Date FlownNovember 2018

"proved to be professional"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | London to Bangkok via Cairo. I was quite sceptical when I booked Egyptair, their reviews weren’t fantastic but I booked them on the basis that they were a star alliance member (I needed the miles) and also because of a very cheap ticket (£1250). At Heathrow airport, I arrived 6 hours early for my flight (I do this often) as I wanted to avoid the rush hour Piccadilly line to Heathrow. I used the self check in desks however they didn’t work as well as my bag tag was printed but not my boarding pass. But the friendly Check in agent was able to print out my boarding pass. Air Canada lounge in Heathrow was really good, food offering was plenty and seats weren’t an issue. Boarding was relatively organised however a bit sluggish. There was an odd choice of drinks, strawberry juice (which has whole strawberries inside) and pineapple juice. We had a slightly late departure but not too bad. Food on this flight was relatively good, although I think I may have chosen the wrong main course, as the other options sounded better. The fish and prawns were a bit dry, but nothing too bad. The big issue was that my seatmate (not travelling with me) was given a vegan special meal he didn’t order. The seat was comfortable, and there was lots of legroom! Everything was where it needed to be, and the recline was plenty. Entertainment was alright, not too good but could be better. The crew on this flight were absolutely fantastic. The purser (with 38 years experience) was amazing. She provided such good service that most of the passengers couldn’t resist giving her a handshake as they left the aircraft. Transit in Cairo is chaotic, but you only need to clear security at the gate. The first lounge I went to was a smoking lounge (the entire airport already smelled of cigarette smoke) then the second was a similar story, after which I was directed to a non smoking lounge, small, and some people couldn’t sit together. Food offering wasn’t bad and I didn’t go hungry for my red eye flight. This time, the crew dragged dinner service for two hours after departure, and I had to skip dessert (luckily I ate in the lounge). The seat on the A330 is noticeably smaller than the 777. It’s the same seat compressed into a smaller cabin. Legroom was decreased and the seat recline slightly decreased. Departure was delayed by half an hour and flight time was increased by half an hour, which meant I had to run through Bangkok airport to connect to another domestic flight. The crew on this flight were a little less friendly than the London flight, but still proved to be professional. The seat was angled flat, which sounded good for me in theory, but wasn’t too comfortable as i spent the same amount of time trying to fall asleep as i would’ve if I’d have been sat in an premium economy seat. WiFi was offered at an expensive price, so I chose not to use it. Overall, i am quite satisfied with my Egyptair experience, and would certainly fly them again for the price offered as they have drastically improved from the last time I flew with them. There are still some old school charms about flying them, especially the way they present their meal service. The main reason I chose Egyptair was that they are a star alliance member. Although, I would more likely choose a different airline for long haul solo travelling as I would prefer a 1-2-1 business class.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / A330-300
RouteLondon to Bangkok via Cairo
Date FlownNovember 2018

"luggage wasn’t to final destination"

Trip Verified | New York to Sharm el Skeikh via Cairo. The flight was ok but first thing my luggage wasn’t to final destination. They have 10 flights daily to Sharm El Sheikh but this company put me on the last flight. I spent 11 hours in the horrible airport with no internet and no fresh food. One little coffee shop with poor food choices and no fresh. Customer service refused to take my baggage from me, at jfk they refused to send my baggage to final destination. It says on internet they would give you a hotel room if you have more than 6 hours layover. It’s a lie. No lunch, no hotel accommodation. To exchange your ticket on earlier flight they offer me to pay extra $250 why? There were free seats but they refused. I couldn’t go and see Cairo cause of my baggage which a normal company delivery to final destination. My trip was waste of time at the airport instead of enjoying sightseeing. I wouldn’t complain if my baggage was to final destination so I could have free hands to go outside. Their decision was to take all 3 luggage with me and walk around Cairo! Are you serious? Customer service didn’t find a solution. I had to pay for the full day and food at Sharm El Sheikh hotel which I didn’t use and won’t get my money back for that neither.
RouteCairo to Sharm el Skeikh

"They lost our luggage"

Not Verified | Toronto to Cairo. Very disappointed with this airline. They lost our luggage, found it 17 days later! I filled out all that was required for reimbursement and then they stopped replying to my e-mails. I have e-mailed them 5 more times with no reply!
RouteToronto to Cairo
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Would fly again definitely"

Trip Verified | London to Guangzhou via Cairo. Both flights on time. Food good. Crew looked uninterested at times but hard working and dedicated. Lots of soft drinks including self service refills from the back galley. No alcohol served. Seats on B777 very very comfortable (actually one of the best economy seats I have seen) with good pillows and blankets and good space. Nice amenity kit provided (business class style). One of the deserts was a red velvet cake which was excellent and the chicken potatoe dish from London was also excellent quality. Nice side salad served as well. Pity no alcohol as a glass of wine would be nice but understand why not. Excellent value for money at about 40% cheaper than other regional carriers and the flight timings on this trip reduce jet lag. Would fly again definitely. Well done Egyptian.
RouteLondon to Guangzhou via Cairo

"The food was delicious"

Trip Verified | Athens to Cairo. There is nothing special about this flight. However, I was surprised about the meal service. The food was delicious and well portioned, particularly for a 2-hour flight. In fact, it tasted better than some business class meal I had on long-haul flights. The equipment, a Boeing 737-800, was new and clean.
RouteAthens to Cairo

"Great flight on Egyptair

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Frankfurt via Cairo. Great flight on Egyptair. I chose them because they were Star Alliance, and while the wine may not flow, the hard product on both the A330 and B737-800 is of a good standard as was the catering and the crew. Lounges in Cairo leave a little to be desired, food available was woeful, and something Egyptair needs to work on. Other than that, I was very pleased with the product and look forward to the trip back.
AircraftA333 / Boeing 737-800
RouteJohannesburg to Frankfurt via Cairo

"take no accountability"

(Egypt)

Trip Verified | Jeddah to Cairo. One of the worst airlines and it keeps getting worse. They simply do not care to provide a good service and also take no accountability. Delays, issues with food, faulty equipment. It’s always someone else’s fault.
RouteJeddah to Cairo
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Absolute value for money"

Trip Verified | Entebbe to Amsterdam via Cairo. Both Fine flights. First part from Entebbe to Cairo in older 737 without any entertainment. But as it was in the middle of the night I did not miss this. Second part towards Amsterdam in a more modern 737 with entertainment and happier staff but also happier passenger perhaps because the more human moment of the day. I like the food at Egyptair and the ladies keep running with coffee and tea. Absolute value for money in my opinion with 40-60% discount compared to other European / Middle-East airlines flying to Entebbe.
RouteEntebbe to Amsterdam via Cairo