Egyptair

"Egyptair was not helpful at all"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | My flight from CMN to CAI (2.15 pm on 01/08) was delayed by 5 hours. The connecting flight from CAI to ADD on 01/09 was cancelled. It took them 4 hours to give us proper information. They told me they would put me on the CAI to ADD flight the next day (24 hours later). 45 min. before departure the Egyptair transit desk told me that I could not board because my Covid-PCR test had expired. 30 min. before departure they realized that it was a mistake, because they had confused the day of the test with the day of my birthday. By that time, the boarding of the flight had closed. It took another 6 hours for Egyptair to figure out where I could do a new test. I got a special permission to do it within the terminal and had to pay EUR 90. I never received a receipt for this test although I asked several times. By that time, I had spent 34 hours in the transit terminal, without proper information, without accommodation, without communication (there is only 30 min. free internet). It was very cold and they did not even give us a blanket. On 01/10 at 12.30 pm I was put up in an airport hotel. I was rebooked on a flight CAI–NBO–BJM 2 days later. I left CAI on 01/12 9.30 pm and arrived in BJM on 01/13 10 am. The scheduled arrival was 01/09 1 pm, 4 days earlier. Of course, my luggage did not show up and I put in a claim. It finally arrived in BJM on 01/21, with a delay of another 8 days. Egyptair (in the transit terminal in CAI) was not helpful at all. The staff was extremely rude, impolite and incompetent. They took our passport “to process the new tickets”, they let little children sleep on the floor without even a blanket, and no warm meal in nearly 35 hours, not able to communicate with anyone with only 30 min. free Wifi. No one listened to us and no one ever apologized. Of course no refund for anything was given. You cannot reach anyone by phone and e-mails are being left unanswered. A disgrace for the airline industry.
RouteCasablanca to Burundi via Cairo
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"refused to upgrade our seats"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | We were disappointed with the customer relations and handling of problems with our flight. The plane was clean and comfortable, and we received waters and hand sanitizer upon boarding. However, our flight to Cairo from Luxor was canceled two days before the flight while we were already on our trip. In the case of our traveling companions, they never received confirmation of their cancelation (different flight a day later, but same story). The new flight they put us on would not work with our itinerary, but after trying to get in touch with them at short notice, none of their numbers worked. We finally found a number that worked, but they were unable to help us much. They finally put us on an earlier flight the day before, causing us to lose an entire day of our vacation, but would not compensate us for a lost day of our itinerary. After asking, they refused to upgrade our seats. They also would not let us check in online, and so after arriving at the airport, we found out the new flight they put us on is not even a direct flight and was a multi-stop flight back to Cairo. Now we must find a hotel or place to stay in Cairo for the night since we are getting in 25 hours earlier than our itinerary. While this is obviously not the company’s fault, this demonstrates a lack of hospitality and willingness to help make a bad situation easier on us due to their cancelations. This also shows that multiple people over multiple days were unwilling to help us in any way.
RouteLuxor to Cairo
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"a rather good experience"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Travelling during the covid-19 times. Check-in on the counter was pretty smooth - cannot say the same for the app. First leg was pretty full - anout 80-85%, we left Entebbe with a slight delay. Was lucky that I was in a window seat with nobody next to me, so the flight was pretty comfortable. The food was ok - water, juice, 2 small baguettes (1 cheese + 1 chicken) & chocolate cake. Prepacked and really quick to hand out. It is known that they are non-alcohol, but they also did not offer coffee or tea. Cabin crew did the service quickly (food, covid measures and immigration info) and then came out again before landing. The transit time was pretty tight (1 hour) and with a short delay I doubted I would catch the next flight. Cairo airport is not that big, but finding your way when hurried can be hard. After going to the transfer desk I was rushed to my next flight which had almost boarded. With the assistance of the ground crew me and another fellow passenger made it. The 2nd leg was about 25% full. Identical service. They offer a pack in every flight, which contains alcohol gel, alcohol wipes, 2 masks, and gloves. Landing was smooth, however my luggage did not find it's way to the 2nd flight and it remained in Cairo. Did a declaration and it was delivered to my door after 2 days. All in all a rather good experience - there were problems, but the company managed to assist overcoming them.
RouteEntebbe to Athens via Cairo
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"inflight service provided was less than acceptable"

Trip Verified | I feel obliged to write a review about the Business Class facility on Egyptair. I am totally disappointed with the type of service provided especially when I paid a lot of money to travel Business Class! My comments - 1) The boarding facility at Abu Dhabi airport was total confusion! As a Business Class traveller I had to go to the boarding counter and ask to be boarded. 2) The inflight service provided from Abu Dhabi to Cairo was less than acceptable especially the food provided and no follow ups. Every time I asked for something I was looked at as if I had annoyed the crew! 3) The inflight service provided from Cairo to Abu Dhabi was no different from the above. I had to ask 3 times for a blanket and pillow! And the food!! Well.... I would get better food at McDonalds! No coffee or tea offered, just a bottle of water and an option between orange juice or water! I am totally disappointed with Egyptair and would strongly recommend anyone wanting to travel to Cairo to fly with another carrier especially when you pay extra for business class service and you don't get it.
AircraftMS916
RouteCairo to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"the plane was not clean at all"

Trip Verified | Flight attendants are not prepared at all in managing and organizing the flight and the passengers. I had a problem in sitting in my seat and they handled the situation in a very unprofessional way. I had the feeling that they wouldn't care if I travel standing in the aisle and not sitting during the 10 hour flight and I’m not over reacting! The flight attendant refused to give me his name then after I insisted he gave me his name and dared me to file a complaint against him! They treat Egyptian nationalities really badly. Moreover the plane was not clean at all especially during the COVID pandemic which is not acceptable. You find used napkins in between the seats from previous flights! That’s not all, they lost my 2 pieces of luggage in New York and they are still searching for it.
RouteNew York to Cairo
Date FlownDecember 2020

"I refused to take down the bassinet"

Trip Verified | I asked when checking in if a bassinet would be available for my son and was told that it would. On both legs of our flight we were not placed close to the bassinet seats and were told, 'that's just the way it is'. We had to fight to get the seats by asking other passengers to swap with us or refusing to sit down until we were moved. On the Cairo-Heathrow leg of our journey two other passengers tried to stop airline staff from installing the bassinet and then insisted I stand up and move seats before it could be installed, thus waking my son. They then asked me to carry him for the last two hours of the flight as they were uncomfortable. As a single parent I also needed a space to place my son safely whilst packing my bag or performing other tasks. When I refused to take down the bassinet the passengers were unpleasant and I became very upset. The captain of the flight took their side against mine and told me that, 'there is no problem, the only problem is that you are shouting'. I was left very angry and upset and received no apology. I will not be flying with Egypt air again under any circumstances.
RouteMuscat to Heathrow via Cairo
Date FlownDecember 2020

"still have not received my refund"

(Chile)

Trip Verified | I bought a ticket Madrid to Cairo. I requested a refund due to not being able to travel in March 2020. My ticket allowed a refund with a small penalty. 9 months have passed and I still have not received my refund. I have written many times to Customer Service. But they just say they will forward the problem to another department. I have called the assistance phone number, but they only put a recording in Arabic.
RouteMadrid to Cairo
Date FlownApril 2020

"refused multiple times to be checked in online"

Trip Verified | Entered Cairo airport with efficient time to board flight. Was refused multiple times to be checked in online to receive electronic boarding pass. Since Cairo airport does not allow you to be cleared I couldn’t pass to the flight desk to receive boarding pass and check my bag. By time someone who understood English was able to understand me it was 11:24pm which they pointed me to business alliance. Once, they sent me to business alliance the guy who did not have on a mask stated what you want me to do!! Then by the time he decided to call after I was expressing the issues I have endured they informed him the gate was closed at 11:30pm. He stated he nothing he can do and shrugged his shoulders then said you can go to customer service. Walked over to customer service where a guy on his cell phone pointed me to the other windows who Pointed me back to the Egypt air customer service window. Eventually the guy got up and left since he wasn’t suppose to be there. The other guys said they don’t speak English and laughed in our Faces. I have never been to an airport and airline which just refuse to provide any assistance. Plane was not departing until 12:01am
RouteWashington to Cairo
Date FlownOctober 2020

"airline misplaced my baggage"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | Despite the generally bad reviews of Egyptair I decided to give it a try as the prices were low, but regretted my decision. The tray table had not been cleaned, seat was malfunctioning, armrest rusted. No entertainment on international flight. To cap it all the airline misplaced my baggage, and I got my baggage a week later on my 2 week vacation. I had to purchase all neccesities on my own money and when contacted Egypt air for even a partial refund, they led me on a long process which eventually led to nowhere. In the end they stopped responding to my emails altogether. Rather pay a little more and get good service instead of being deceived by cheap air fares from Egyptair.
Routeistanbul to Nairobi via Cairo
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Cancelled my booking"

Trip Verified | Cancelled my booking without letting me know. I found out by accident while looking at my bookings to see if i could get an extra bag. I tried to phone their call center in Germany but the numbers dont work. I tried to email their customer support and i haven't recieved a reply. My mum had to phone them from Cairo. They told her they couldnt confirm whether the rescheduled flight would also be cancelled and that we are only allowed to re-schedule one time or we would have to pay for another flight. They cancelled the flight, then said if they cancelled again we would have to pay.
RouteBerlin to Cairo