China Airlines

(New Zealand)

Auckland to Brisbane return. Modern A330-300 2-4-2 seating configuration cabin fresh and clean if a little cramped. The fare was less for a full service airline than a low cost airline with no meal or baggage allowance - hence the plane was pretty full. Check in was done by Air NZ at AKL and Qantas at BNE so efficient and without difficulty. The personal allowance of 20 kg per person was allowed to be pooled over our family group so we weren't charged for the 28kg case as we would have on other airlines. Cabin crew were mainly young and well presented. Their English was possibly only at a novice level. The seats were comfortable with adjustable winged head rests. In flight entertainment was a touch screen seat back TV approx 7 inch screen; a choice of about 15 current movies plus a catalogue of oldies and regional content as well as the usual games music etc. Outbound headphones blankets and pillows on seat on. Soft drinks served before a light dinner - reasonable quality. Wine served with the meal this was poor - maybe ask for a beer instead. Hot drinks were served afterwards. The inbound was a little different; as the aircraft had arrived from Taipei some seats had headphones others none. The cabin crew distributed these shortly after take off. All in all a decent flight crew were pleasant not exceptional but not poor either.

(New Zealand)

Brisbane to Auckland Easter Friday and flight was very busy. An ageing A330 seats were rather hard and uncomfortable. IFE was very good and offered a range of movies and music. The service was above average with a good meal and tea and coffee offered. The service was efficient but not polite and had an indifferent aspect to it. If the price does not remain competitive I would not use this airline again.

China Airlines customer review

Flew economy LAX to TPE. Flight was late 30 minutes at least taking off. Then after take off the estimated arrival time kept being moved back. The flight ended up 1 hour 25 minutes late landing. Flight was completely full - to the point they were weighing bags and people. The check staff literally told people to get on the scales. The plane was an upgraded 747-400 that had personally video screens in economy seats were very narrow and the seat pitch was painful. Food portions tiny. No more hot towels provided upon boarding and before landing.

China Airlines customer review

We booked our return trip LHR-BNE in August 2010 with China Airlines. We are due to depart from LHR on the 10/4/2011. Two days before our departure China airlines called and cancelled our flight due to the cancellation of the flight from Taipei to BNE. They didn't give us any reason and not even try to find us the alternative route. Although we have the full refund we have to find another airlines in the last minute. Luckily we are able to get on another airlines but it cost us £600 extra due to last minute fare. We are so disgusted with China Airlines and we would not recommend China Airlines to anyone. It is a joke that a 4-star airline provide such a terrible service.

China Airlines customer review

Two weeks ago my wife and I travelled to Taipei and Hong Kong on China Airlines Economy Class. On both ways we find the services worthy of high commendation. Both the ground staff and the attendants prompt courteous and responsible to the customer needs and details. The food and beverage were sufficient and of excellent quality.

China Airlines customer review

BKK-YVR. Planes new but had a 3 hour mechanical in BKK so missed connection in Taiwan. It felt like they had this problem many times before. As I was on a bereavement fare they placed me in the bulkhead with no other seats occupied in the row (seems nice) When I boarded there was a family of 15 with at least 8 kids from India. I was told there were no other seats available but after 8 hours of screams and people sleeping and crawling on me and other passengers getting upset they moved me to 1st class where there appeared to be several empty seats. After being lied to and putting up with sub-par food and no sleep the flight attendant moved me to avoid a scene. I would fly another airline next time even if it's a little more money.

(Indonesia)

CGK-LAX-CGK last time was not entirely satisfying. CGK-TPE was good with TV screen on the back seat though it was only 5 hours flight. I continued my 16 hours flight TPE-LAX with no TV screen on the back seat and it was boring. China Airlines lounge in Taipei is good. Staff are friendly good snacks and drinks. I count it as a compensation to my disappointment to long- hours flight with no TV screen.

China Airlines customer review

Supposed to fly LHR-TPE-SYD flights changed at short notice to LHR-AMS-BKK-TPE-SYD adding 13 hrs to journey - no explanation. Given 45 hr trip with 11 hrs at Taipei : not good with 4 yr old and 9 yr old. Rice or noodles every meal - my kids didn't eat whole journey. On the plus side they did give us a complimentary hotel room in Taipei.

China Airlines customer review

LAX-Taipei-Denpasar traveling in Economy with an active three year old. We were given bulkhead seats before we got to the airport. Got to LAX and was ushered to the almost non existent Business Class queue as I had a young child. My son was accompanied without this being requested by a friendly steward when we got on the plane as I had too much to carry (I took his FAA approved car seat with us). His kids meals arrived without prompting and were favorably received. On the Denpasar leg I asked for his kids meal before they were being served as my son was hungry - it arrived two minutes later with a smile. We were also offered the choice of moving into an empty four seat section on this leg so that we could rest more comfortably. Throughout the service was wonderful. Nothing seemed too much trouble. Plus the flights were on time the toilets were always clean and the adult food was perfectly acceptable too.

China Airlines customer review

LAX - Hanoi via Taipei return Business Class. Overall very good service at a very reasonable price. Service attentive (almost too attentive). Seats not lie-flat but able to sleep on both trans-Pacific legs. Overall service is very similar to US domestic business class at about half the cost. Would fly with them again at this level of pricing.