China Airlines

"found it totally unhygienic"

Trip Verified | Myself my mother and my husband flew Gatwick to Sydney via Taipei with China Airlines but will never fly with them again. The cabin crew on the first leg of the journey did not speak hardly at all. We could not hear nor understand the announcements so in an emergency it would have been guess work which I find astounding but in general I think its poor customer service. The food was just awful, I know it was 95% Chinese passengers but I think the airline should look at the list of people and cater for those who don't want to eat soggy rice and chicken on both the inbound and outbound flights. The blankets provided were a dirty mustard colour and were way past their use date. The cabin crew all were wearing face masks to protect themselves and passengers but found it totally unhygienic that they wiped down the toilet floors, units and toilet with paper towels and no gloves on, that to me was not only disgusting but a health and safety issue. Overall we all found our experience with China Airlines a very poor one. Never again to be repeated.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Taipei
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"no regard for consumer rights"

Trip Verified | They have no regard for consumer rights and will destroy your itinerary if they dont have enough passengers. Booked a flight for my wife, 3yr old and myself, directly with China Airlines via their webpage for a flight from Singapore to Takamatsu. This included a layover of 20hrs in Taipei which we also booked a nights stay at a hotel for. 1 month prior to departure they brought forward by a day, our TPE to TAK flight. As they did not change the Singapore to TPE flight the connection is now impossible. They rectified the problem by changing our SIN to TPE flight a day earlier but refused to make up for our lost hotel booking. We rebooked our hotel at our own cost. 11 days before departure, they changed our TPE to TAK flight again bringing it forward by 24hrs and again neglecting to make the appropriate amendment for SG to TPE. They have also again refused to compensate us in any way for having to book a hotel for the 3rd time. Warning! It looks cheap and respectable. It is a lie.
RouteSingapore to Takamatsu via Taipei
Date FlownMarch 2020

"seat pitch was below average"

Trip Verified | The check-in in this case was a bit more complex, because my flight ability in Taipei had to be obtained through a stay in China. However, this can be assessed as positive for the health of other passengers. Departures and arrivals were on time. The A330 made a somewhat older impression and the seat pitch was below average. In the A350, on the other hand, cleanliness, comfort and seat spacing were good. The on-board entertainment left nothing to be desired and relatively new films were shown. Catering and drinks are very good and extensive. The staff friendly and helpful. Overall a good experience.
AircraftA330-300 / A350-900
RouteManila to Frankfurt via Taipei
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"a good experience"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Shanghai via Taipei. Check-in was extremely quick and the staff very friendly. The departure was on time. The seat spacing is average in an international comparison. The on-board catering is very good and very extensive. The beverage service leaves nothing to be desired. Aircraft cleanliness contributed to well-being. Overall a good experience. The Inflight Entertainment offered relatively new and a lot of films.
AircraftA350-900 / Boeing 777-300
RouteFrankfurt to Shanghai via Taipei
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"I was upgraded to Premium economy"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh city to Frankfurt via Taipei, a good experience overall. I departed at 05:45 p.m., and meals were served 3 times, 1 dinner in the connecting flight from HCMC to Taipei and 2 on the flight from Taipei to Frankfurt. The food was good, but there were not many options and the menu was the same for both departing and returning flights. The crew were friendly and caring, they noticed when I felt uncomfortable due to low temperature inside the cabin and offered hot drinks. The seat was comfortable. I'm a rather small girl (162cm in height), so I had no problem with legroom, but it might have been a bit cramped for some other passengers around me. My returning date was a busy day for Frankfurt airport, so I had a delayed takeoff, which made me miss my connecting flight from Taipei to HCMC. I had a long delay at Taoyuan airport. The airlines handled the situation well, they offered me to stay in their lounge and took care of my baggage, coupons for food and bevarage were also given. The best part was I was upgraded to Premium economy on my flight back to HCMC.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Frankfurt via Taipei
Date FlownApril 2019

"Great short-haul flight"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Great short-haul flight from Hong Kong to Tainan operated by Mandarin Airlines (owned by China Airlines). Departure and arrival on time. Plane modern, clean and comfy, considering short length of journey. Hot meal, snack and tea distributed during 1h flight - really appreciated. Staff very nice and active during entire flight.
AircraftE190
RouteHong Kong to Tainan
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"we recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Bangkok via Taipei. We took 4 flights in all. The service was friendly, meals were enjoyable, and there was plenty of video entertainment. Baggage was included in the ticket price. The accommodation was comfortable and we recommend this airline.
RouteVancouver to Bangkok via Taipei
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"customer is the one that is blamed"

(Taiwan)

Not Verified | Taipei to Frankfurt. I am really upset about China Airline customer service and the abuse of regulations. I book my tickets via Expedia, and Expedia asks their users to input the names as: Family name, Middle Name, First Name. I input as it asks and they arrange my name as Western Order by Family name First Name Middle Name. This is a common way, even western government department does this to Asian name order. When I booked my ticket, Expedia forwarded my info to China Airline and I got charged 100€ for changing my name on the tickets. I booked through Expedia all the time with other Airlines and there has been no problem. With the pressure in the airport, I had to pay. Later I contact China Airline with this complaint and they act like this is my fault. That is really ignorant attitude from China Airlines. I explained to them in details, and they were pushing the problems to their regulation and Expedia. I am sure this is a systematic problem between Expedia and China Airlines, however the customer is the one that is blamed and paid the money. They reject my claim and complaint and complaint but doesn’t do better than abusing their regulations towards customers. As my first time flying, I feel mistrusted towards this airline.
RouteTaipei to Frankfurt
Date FlownDecember 2019

"no announcement on the aircraft"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Taipei. I fail to understand why this flight and the return leg arrived at and departed from Terminal 2. The ticket specifies Terminal 1, Immigration and baggage delivery are at Terminal 1 and the return check-in is at Terminal 1. This is not the first time this has happened on a CI flight. So why does CI not have proper facilities in Terminal 2 or mark the ticket information as Terminal 2? As far as I am aware, on arrival at TPE there was no announcement on the aircraft and no printed announcement on the video monitors. Passengers were therefore left with a weakly written and seemingly unimportant sign on exiting the Gate ramp. But a China Airlines attendant stood right in front and in the middle of that sign rendering it impossible to read. And her main job seemed to be to direct passengers en route to a soon departing Fukuoka flight since the Bangkok flight had arrived late. The only sign exiting passengers can easily see is the bright illuminated sign above stating that for Immigration passengers should turn right. That, though, is for Terminal 2 Immigration and baggage claim. The handwritten sign that should be in very large thick clear lettering easily visible to all disembarking passengers pointed out that those going to Terminal 1 should actually turn left and then walk a very long way. A staff member giving instructions in Chinese is of little use to those not conversant in the language! Having been caught out by this once before and wasted almost an hour, after this flight I stopped and took time to check the sign carefully. This unthought-through action apart, the flight was smooth and the meal very tasty. My only other gripe about China Airlines is the headphones for the IFE. It makes available the ancient circular ones. I accept these fit nicely into the ears of a majority of passengers. But not all ears are the same and they just don’t fit mine at all. So even though this, with a weather delay, was only a 4-hour flight, watching anything on the IFE was out of the question.
RouteBangkok to Taipei

"I never use again"

Trip Verified | This is first time I use China Airlines, also this is the last time. I never use again and will recommend other people don’t use this China Airlines. This aircraft is small and old. The F&B is not good, very bad. The staff is not helpful. They don’t support the passengers. I needed to change the middle seat to aisle seat, but they ask me for charging money. I didn’t request change to another higher class seat, just same economy. When I get aboard, I saw 4 empty seat around me.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Los Angeles via Taipei

"an inconsistent experience"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Denpasar via Taipei. Check-in at LAX was smooth. They gave us a transfer sleeve to store boarding passes for later segment, which was a nice touch. We had a remote gate far away and had to be shuttled by bus. That experience wasn't very pleasant as we had to wait inside the bus for a very long time. Despite having reservation for four seats (traveling as a family), there was no available overhead storage. All four of us had requested special meals, but the flight attendants started serving us regular meal. It was only after we showed them our boarding passes that they served our special meals. The overall ambiance, seating comfort, and IFE were excellent. Both B777-300ER and A330-300 were tastefully decorated. The service between Taipei and Bali segment was far superior to what we experience between LA and Taipei. The service on our final segment from TPE to LAX fell below the mark. The flight attendants serving us in economy didn't smile and were quite rude while interacting with us. So, while friendly service was absent in TPE-LAX segment, the WiFi worked well on B777-300ER. Overall, China Airlines offered an inconsistent experience where the positives outweighed the negatives, so we will still fly with them again.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / A330-300
RouteLos Angeles to Denpasar via Taipei
Date FlownNovember 2019

"appreciated our luggage arriving with us"

Trip Verified | Taipei to Sanya. Our plane was late getting into Taipei from Los Angeles and we had just enough time to disembark and walk to the gate of our connecting flight to be the last persons to board. I told my wife that I was sure our luggage wasn’t going to make the connection. I sat down at my window seat and watched the last of the luggage being loaded but did not see ours. The cabin door closed and I expected us to leave but we didn’t. I could see the baggage handlers impatiently waiting for something. Alas, 10 minutes later a buggy showed up with our luggage and was quickly loaded and we were then on our way. Our flight ended up late and although I felt a little guilty we really appreciated our luggage arriving with us. The food we just ok. The staff were friendly but busy.
RouteTaipei to Sanya
Date FlownNovember 2019

"worst flight I've ever been on"

Trip Verified | New York to Taipei. This is the worst flight I've ever been on in my life. I got a discount on this flight, and the stewardesses were nice. Everything else about was a nightmare. I called a week in advance and had to pay for the desired seat I wanted for $30 extra because this airline doesn't let you choose your seat. But they ended up giving me the wrong seat anyway, rather than 40E, which is larger. They could not fix the issue on the plane, so I was stuck with the tiny seat and wasted my $30. Some seats can lift the armrest, but the one I had to go to could not and was quite uncomfortable. I then learned that this was the first flight I've been on that doesn't offer free WiFi. I had to pay $50 (specifically $43.90) to use their very bad WiFi service. The "entertainment" tablet doesn't work, even if you rub it or clean it, and there's nothing on there you've ever heard of, anyway. The food looked inedible, but that's okay because I opted not to eat anyway. It just sucks you have to pay for water, since TSA obviously doesn't let you bring any liquids on. Guess I should've brought a bigger water bottle. Sixteen hours of this, and they don't even offer you WiFi or working power outlets (though I'm surprised we even had those). This airline just seems cheap, even if their actual prices aren't that cheap.
RouteNew York to Taipei
Date FlownNovember 2019

"special meal of a good quality"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Taipei. Priority check-in at Narita was quick and easy. I was able to change my seat at the counter. Boeing 777 has a beautifully designed cabin and offers lots of choices on the inflight entertainment system. The cabin manager on this flight was kind and helpful. I was welcomed on board and addressed by name. The vegetarian special meal was of a good quality. There was a selection of drinks available, I tried Kumquat Lemonade and Formosa green tea. On arrival, my luggage was first off the belt as it was marked Priority. I am a SkyTeam Elite Plus member and I never experienced such attention to detail and personal service.
RouteTokyo to Taipei
Date FlownOctober 2019

"crew need to lift their game"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | My wife and I flew to Brisbane from Auckland and return. A350 was roomy and comfortable in Economy Class. Crew were friendly. IFE with a good selection of movies, TV and music. Crew on return flight indifferent and sour. Meals were awful - spiced chicken and rice - worse than a microwavable meal from the supermarket. In summary crew need to lift their game. English is often poor and engagement nowhere near Singapore Airlines.
RouteAuckland to Brisbane

"mostly pleasantly surprised"

(French Polynesia)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Honolulu via Taipei. I fly regularly between Honolulu and Bangkok, but I've never flown on China Airlines. However, it emerged as the least-expensive option for a recent trip and since the price and flight schedules were good I decided to give the airline a try, despite some hesitation. I was mostly pleasantly surprised by the airline: Though the staff seem to be unable to smile and service both on the ground and in the air is bare-bones, the A350 is a fabulous aircraft, the seats were mostly comfortable, and the entertainment system was alright. There were a few negative experiences: For instance, not one single flight arrived or departed on time; The airline's pillows and blankets are pitiful, and the catering is mostly inedible; China Airlines has the serving style favored by many Asian airlines, wherein a few drinks choices are offered on top of the meal service trolleys, and if a passenger requests anything not on top of the trolley, the flight attendants tend to lie and say they ran out. It's very, very tedious to constantly have to ask and remind them for something as simple as a can of Coke Zero, and for it to be brought with a scowl. I arrived at Taipei from Honolulu in the middle Typhoon Mitag; My onward flight to Bangkok that evening was cancelled and I was expecting a chaotic, uncomfortable evening in Taipei's airport. Much to my surprise, the situation had been rather expertly arranged before my arrival: An agent met our flight and informed all of us going to Bangkok that we had been rescheduled for a flight the following morning and that accommodation had been arranged for us for that evening. I was impressed by the efficiency of China Airlines and the Taipei airport authorities, and I commend them for their handling of a difficult situation. In all, I recommend China Airlines because of the very low cost paid for this set of flights. While China Airlines certainly pales in comparison to ANA, JAL, EVA Air, Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines, it is at least as good as Korean Air.
RouteBangkok to Honolulu via Taipei
Date FlownOctober 2019

"not fly with this airline again"

Trip Verified | Taipei to Vancouver. The onboard experience was fine. The problem with this airline is the ground customer service and code-share system. I have no idea why, but China Airlines would not allow me to select my seats in advance or even change my seats at check-in. It seems that some tickets simply do not have an online check-in or seat selection option. You are forced to get to the check-in desk when it opens (about 3hrs before a flight) and try to get them to change the seat they assign to you. This creates a mad rush at check-in, and a strong likely-hood of not sitting with your companion and getting the middle seat. This is exactly what happened to me in Taipei. I flew in on a code-share flight with Vietnam Airlines. There was no online check-in option for the China Airlines portion of the flight. At check-in in Saigon, China Airlines automatically assigned my wife and me to two middle seats in different rows (not together). I asked the Vietnam Airlines agent if we could change the seat assignments, but they were unable to access seating for China Airlines. When I got to Taipei for the connection, I went to the China Airlines office to change the seats, and they said all seats were assigned and the flight was full, but that the boarding counter could probably do something. I went to the boarding gate, and they said they would make a note of this. I asked what that meant, and they said they would tell the stewardess. I asked what that meant, and they said the stewardess would look for spare seats. I asked why they couldn't see if there were any spare seats, and the boarding gate said they could, and there were none, 'but maybe someone would be too sick to fly'. There was no attempt to look for people that were willing to move from one seat to another to accommodate my wife and I sitting together. No effort what so ever, they just wanted to tell me they took my name. The boarding agents said it was a common problem that people could not check-in online or select their seats in advance. The boarding agents even laughed as I walked away. The problem is not just the boarding agents, its China Airlines inability to allow online check-in or seat selection on booking flights. I'm not sure why they don't have a system that would do this? Regardless, I will not fly with this airline again.
RouteTaipei to Vancouver

"service was very good"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Auckland via Taipei and Brisbane. I am very happy with the experience . I flew in Economy Class, at the height of 1,83m / 6ft I had enough legroom. Vienna to Taipei I was offered to change my original seat to a seat in a row which was completely free (I did manage to sleep a couple of hours on this flight as I could kind of lie down during the flight.) The remaining two flights were fully booked and if 3 men sit next to each other, there is not too much space in Economy class but it did not feel uncomfortable. The cabin crew was very friendly and the service was very good. I enjoyed the meals and the in-flight entertainment. The A350-900 is a great and modern airplane I can definitely recommend.
RouteVienna to Taipei via Auckland

"I enjoyed both flights"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Taipei to Beijing return. The inbound flight was delayed over one hour. The customer service in Beijing offered passengers snacks and soft drinks. Overall, the service was very nice. Seats are comfortable. I enjoyed both flights.
RouteTaipei to Beijing
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Would recommend for the price"

Trip Verified | We flew Brisbane to London Gatwick via Taipei and return with China Airlines. We weren’t delayed on any of the flights there or back. Blankets, pillows were waiting for us when we boarded. On the longer legs (Taipei - Gatwick & Gatwick - Taipei) amenity kits were provided (we were in economy!) so that was a nice little extra. The seats were not comfortable at all which is a shame and the food was a little disappointing. The cabin service was alright. Would recommend for the price. They were the cheapest tickets at the time of booking.
RouteBrisbane to London via Taipei