Cathay Pacific Airways

"the food is terrible"

(Papua New Guinea)

Trip Verified | Cathay Pacific used to be the highlight of our travel back to the UK. Whilst the Business Class Cabin is clean and the facilities modern with all the bells & whistles, service excellent, refreshments good, the food is terrible! I don't know what I ate, but it was mush, at best? The midnight hamburger looked great, but I went with the fancy menu. What a huge disappointment. Why don't they just bring back real meals? Good old, roast meat & vegetables with gravy ? Or Stir Fry Beef and Vegetables - Chinese style? My first main option was not available (which was promoted on both flights to & from Hong Kong. A Chinese beef dish in tomato sauce?), so I chose something that I really don't know what it was trying to be? It was absolutely tasteless and looked terrible? Probably 'nouveau' to some? It was the same with the starter - yuck. The vegetarian breakfast option was worse??? Im not fussy, but I look forward to dining as a way to waste the time and I enjoy it. After all, traveling Business Class is a treat, so I was disappointed at my recent trip & that Cathay Pacific has chosen to go down the 'fusion' route and basically, treat their passengers as imbeciles. We wouldn't choose that kind of food if we were at a Restaurant, so why try to experiment, on a 12 hour flight? Cathay Pacific please re-think your menu. Also, it was a hot cabin. I felt nausea it was so hot? Lovely female attendant was very helpful and turned it up for me.
RouteHong Kong to London

"crew were professional"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Madrid. Excellent from Check in to Baggage collection. Food was very good, great sleep, loads of movies, crew were professional and very accommodating to random requests. l prefer the A350-900 over the Boeing 787, toilet is bigger and a decent size hand basin.
AircraftA350-900
RouteHong Kong to Madrid
Date FlownJune 2019

"spent their time chit chatting"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | San Francisco to Kuala Lumpur via Hong Kong. Food was below expectations, stewardesses spent their time chit chatting when the lights were dimmed (hardly any offer of water to customers during flight). MJy headset jack was spoilt and they could not do anything about it so I was watching silent movie for many hours during my 13.5 hours flight.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteSan Francisco to Kuala Lumpur via Hong Kong

"such a good experience"

Trip Verified | Washington to Hong Kong. I had such a good experience with Cathay. This was a 16 hour direct flight and I was not particularly excited for the length of this one but it wound up being perfect. The flight staff were incredibly attentive. The middle section of the plane had great headroom. The flight was smooth and the pilot was great. The in-flight entertainment was great.
AircraftAirbus A350-900
RouteWashington to Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2019

"I would fly them again"

Not Verified | Barcelona to Hong Kong. This was my first time flying with Cathay Pacific. I had very high expectations of such airline; they were met but only to a certain extent. I did my check in using its app; it was fine, I have seen smoother apps, but good overall. Bag drop and boarding in Barcelona was very easy - they even gave fast track access to go through security as it was really crowded and I had 60 minutes. The flight was fully booked, but the 3x3x3 configuration of the a350 is a big plus as it does not feel that crowded. Seats very comfortable, with a massive touch screen, foldable support for phones and tablets, USB charger and an incredibly convenient cup holder. Also, decent leg room. However, in my own opinion, IFE was sort of limited. Two of the major disappointments were service and food. Yet and by all means, they were not bad! Service was correct and very attentive, but I never get that vibe that makes you feel extra special. In regards to food, it was also "just" correct - not different to more average airlines. I have to say it was fantastic that you can order hot noodle cups at any point as a snack. I am not 100% sure if that was the A350, but I dealt with jet lag better after that flight. The cabin was at a very convenient temperature, air was not very dry (and I feel it instantaneously as I am using contact lenses). Overall, a very good flight with no complaints. However, and due to Cathay's reputation, I expected to have a better opinion after flying them. But I would fly them again, as they did a very good job.
AircraftA350-900
RouteBarcelona to Hong Kong
Date FlownJune 2019

"a very comfortable and enjoyable experience"

Trip Verified | Purchased ticket as "early bird fare" at a great price and was best decision made. From the moment you enter the cabin after a visit to the Qantas business class lounge at Sydney Airport (One World partner) it is a very comfortable and enjoyable experience. An A330 from Sydney - Hong Kong, the plane was a little dated but still fine however the A350 flight from Hong Kong to Amsterdam was a near new plane, very sleek and modern.Welcome drink and warm towels are handed to you prior to departure and meals are served not long after take off. Great choice from the menu including a Wagyu burger they make from the galley - very delicious. Seats are shaped like a pod so there is plenty of personal space to stretch legs and relax (pod stretches out to form a comfortable bed to sleep in). IFE is fine, with a good choice of movies, music, games etc. Staff are attentive and keep an eye on any requirements during the flight. Spent some time in The Pier Business Lounge at HKIA in transit to Amsterdam and has showers, yoga room, bar, dumpling house and tea house. A great way to unwind for a connecting flight at HKIA.
AircraftA330/A350
RouteSydney to Amsterdam via Hong Kong

"Wonderful flight"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Hong Kong. Wonderful flight, don’t know if could ever go back to economy!! Flew business class in a lovely little pod type chair. Was able to fully recline and get a decent sleep on this 13 hour flight. When you push the recline button it slowly reclines into the footwell and headrest that is self contained, so you don’t disturb anyone else at all. My husband was in pod next to mine, and by leaning forward we could see each other and talk. Was not hungry on boarding (after snacking in lounge), so just had cheese platter and glass of wine while watching a movie then settled in to try and sleep. Cabin staff were fantastic and friendly. Enjoyed full breakfast about 2 hours before landing. Snacks available anytime if wanted, eg caramel popcorn, ice cream, salad, noodles. If you have to do a long flight over night then this is the way to do it.
RouteVancouver to Hong Kong

"Not worth the price"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Hong Kong. I was pretty excited to fly premium economy on the A350. The seat was not as amazing as I was expecting. Great design and storage, not as comfortable as the extra cushioned Boeing 777-300 PE seats. As always, food was very boring. It's almost always the same. Same starter, same main and same ice cream. Extreme consistency means lack of excitement. And, of course, same breakfast as always. The presentation of the food as always very sterile and basic, making the food taste even worse. Flight attendants robotic but still helpful. Overall not at the level of most of the other premium economy experiences I had with other airlines. Not worth the price.
RouteSeattle to Hong Kong

"the food was terrible"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Dublin via Hong Kong. I found Cathay Pacific terrible. 6 of us travelled in cramped seats and the food was terrible. We didn’t get what we wanted because they ran out. One dinner I handed back because it was disgusting. There was no offer of anything else. I had heard great reviews but don’t think I will fly them again. As a family of 6 adults this has cost us a lot of money and it was the worst trip I’ve ever experienced. Unfortunately we have to on the way home on Thursday. I think we should be upgraded as this was the worst travel I have ever had. I have told others about our trip and they don’t want to fly Cathay now either. Disgusted family of 6.
RouteAuckland to Dublin via Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2019

"found the food and service ok"

Trip Verified | I used to fly Cathay Pacific Business between Europe and Asia (and was disappointed with the service) but had to fly Premium Economy this time due to the high price during holiday season. Overall I think it represents better value than business class. Check in at London Heathrow was fully automatic - you have to print out the boarding pass, luggage tag and attached it to your bag and drop it using a machine. Not an issue here. Boarding was smooth and easy and we took off on time. Hot towel and welcome drink were provided. I was able to secure the first row of the cabin and found the leg room much better than other seats in PE. However the screen is stored below the arm rest so if you plan to watch a lot of movie or have gate to gate entertainment this is the row to avoid. The A350 used for Hong Kong to Taipei sector is far superior than the B777 for long haul. I found the food and service ok - given the fact that it was sub standard in business class. One thing I don't appreciate is unlike EVA which I often fly with, the toilets were not regularly cleaned. I also found the selection of movies poor. When I booked my Premium Economy ticket I was inform that the flight from Hong Kong to Taipei would be operated by A330 without PE so I was allocated a seat in economy. When I arrived at the gate I spotted that it was changed to A350 with PE and check with the ground staff if it is possible to get a seat in PE. I was told that the airplane was still an A330 and there was no PE available - that proved to be totally wrong.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A350