Cathay Pacific Airways

"half-hearted cabin service, terrible food"

Not Verified | Hong Kong to Vancouver. I am a million - miler business traveler and have flown practically all major airlines. One airline I had not flown with was Cathay Pacific. I decided to try them primarily because of schedule restrictions and demands. My checking in process was slow but it went OK. The problems began when I got situated in my seat. First I discover that my entertainment system didn't work. I called the flight attendant for assistance, but she acted as if I was bothering her and treated me as a complete nuisance that was imposing on her iphone chatting. The wonderful experience continued with an announcement from the captain who sounded half-asleep and completely disinterested in talking to the passengers and it continued with half-hearted cabin service, terrible food, cheap wine and crackling sound from the semi-operating entertainment system. I'll spare you the details of this great experience by advising you to fly a hot air balloon before you think about spending your hard earned money on this parody of airline.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteHong Kong to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"did not receive my luggage yet"

(Vietnam)

Not Verified | I was booking the ticket from Kansas City to Dallas, Dallas to San Fransisco, San Frasisco to Hong Kong and from Hong Kong to Da Nang (24/3/2020). The airline did not say anything about only Hong Kong residents can fly. When I got to San Fransisco they email me the ticket is canceled. Why didn't you tell me for the first time? Then the airline said I can get a full refund intermediately, but now it is nearly 24h after that. Also, the airline didn't rebook for me for another flight or at least buy the ticket for me to get back in Kansas City and left me back overnight in the airports. Nonetheless, they keep my luggage and I did not receive my luggage yet. Now I'm like a homeless in San Fransisco airport.
RouteSan Francisco to Da Nang via Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2020

"There is a lot of space"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Hong Kong. First class old type, open spaces and 8 seats in the cabin. There is a lot of space, good mattresses. The choice and quality of food is average, the drinks are excellent! The service is good. Great pajamas
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteVancouver to Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2019

"The service is good"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Vancouver. First class old type of seat, open spaces. 8 seats in the cabin. There is a lot of space, good mattresses. The choice and quality of food is average, the drinks are excellent! The service is good. Great pajamas.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteHong Kong to Vancouver
Date FlownNovember 2019

"One of the best airlines I have flown with"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh City via Hong Kong. One of the best airlines I have flown with. Bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Cathay Pacific has really great customer service. Seats very comfortable and I slept like a baby. Leg room very sufficient and a great food menu on-board. Up there with Singapore Airlines to be honest. Would highly recommend.
RouteMelbourne to Ho Chi Minh City via Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2019

"cancelled my flight twice"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Los Angeles via Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific cancelled my flight twice just because it tried to fill up more flights due to the lack of customers from coronavirus. Refused to offer any changes without fees. Food garbage, customer service non existent, prices not cheap.
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Extremely disappointed with Cathay"

Not Verified | Sapporo to Perth via Hong Kong. Extremely disappointed with Cathay, we have been loyal users of Cathay until now. Due to the grounding of multiple planes and staff on unpaid leave - we have had our return flight cancelled and changed to a day later. They have not provided accommodation for us For the extra night We now have to stay in Japan nor have they provided any considerations for the inconvenience. They were aware we have a one year old with us and airport rooms do not provide enough room in Japan for his cot. They have taken weeks to get back to us so this is now last minute. SO inconvenient and inconsiderate given the change of the flight is due to a change in the airlines plans. Unlikely to fly with CX again.
RouteSapporo to Perth via Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"service is extremely poor"

(China)

Trip Verified | Beijing to HK on Cathay Dragon, no hot food, only cold water, little if no service. I fully understood and appreciated considering the breakout of Coronavirus. Hong Kong to London, 1 out of 3 toilets in Economy is marked as "out of order". This turns out to be Crew Only toilet, making long queue all through the flight, as 2 toilets covering nearly 200 passengers. The service is extremely poor, I asked Gin and Tonic 3 times, always been told they will come back, never. The passenger next to me does not understand English but only Mandarin; when crew distributed foods, she pretended only spoke English. After 10 secs of silence, the passenger said "Ji" (Chicken in Mandarin), the crew immediately pass the chicken dish to him with a rolling eye.My son (2 years old) experienced running nose the night before and the morning (flight is in afternoon). I called them saying although he is not fever, I do not want him to fly to risk the whole passengers. While other airlines offers free change or cancellation in China, I have been told there is nothing they can do. The last part of the service has seen after I made a complaint to the service, Cathay response back to say their toilet is only out of order for 1 hour then open (a completely lie as it is crew only for the whole 13 hours).
AircraftA330 / Boeing 777
RouteBeijing to London via Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"it is now pathetically poor"

Not Verified | Mumbai to Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific used to be my favorite airline, but it is now pathetically poor. Cabin service, especially in Business class used to be something to look forward to, but words such as bad, uncaring, aloof, absent come to mind - also, considering the current Coronavirus pandemic, my tray table and armrest were notably dirty and not cleaned properly. I was unimpressed that there was no soap in the soap dispenser in one of the Business class bathrooms. Shame. Cathay has lost its way and is now just a poor alternative.
RouteMumbai to Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"service change will be $200"

Not Verified | Ho Chi Minh to San Francisco via Hong Kong. The food on the flight was bland and cold. Im on a family vacation since January 28 but my returning flight leaves on March 4 and I wish to leave earlier. To change it to February 23, it would cost me over $200. I wish the airline had some sympathy that people want to leave early because of a virus. I've called my booking agent, the airline customer service line and did everything I could to change my flight departure date but all was answered with a "the service change will be $200". I wish the airline overall would change such policy.
RouteHo Chi Minh to San Francisco via Hong Kong