Cathay Pacific Airways

"one of the most comfortable"

Trip Verified | Newark to Singapore via Hong Kong. I fly CX every year on this trek back to Singapore from NJ and its very consistent. Boarding at Newark delayed by an hour due to a baggage issue but we did land right on time in HKG. The cabin crew were upbeat, warm and welcoming. They were pleasant, smiling and working efficiently throughout the flight. The meal service seemed slow but maybe had more to do with not having enough crew onboard to work such a large economy cabin. The meals onboard were the biggest disappointment. Portions seemed even smaller than before and the quality of both meals was certainly not up to par. Rice was dry and clumpy and the beef with it, overdone and lacked enough sauce. No salt and pepper sachets either. There is virtually no difference between the meals served on the long haul to the shorter medium haul sector to Singapore. The saving grace was the midflight snack bar that I stumbled on when I ventured to the back and to the opposite aisle. Good selection and better quality than the meals themselves, sadly. The seat on the A350 is probably one of the most comfortable, barring the seat back issue - which has been brought up here. Good cushioning, back support and legroom. The IFE screen was sharp, responsive and the selection a tad disappointing with insufficient newer films and I feel a better way to filter or sort the films available according to genre etc, would make selection easier. I loved the Tail and belly cams and the Moving Map was great. The toilets onboard seemed to be showing a surprising amount of wear for a 2 year old plane and the sinks in the 3 toilets I used, didn't drain properly with water remaining for a while. Announcements from the cockpit were informative and cheery for both legs and cabin crew announcements were clear. I think CX has a solid product - they just need to seriously up the ante on the economy food situation and expand the IFE a bit more.
RouteNewark to Singapore via Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Manila via Hong Kong. Worst flight experience. My boyfriend and I were thrown up on by a toddler sitting behind us for the last 7 hours of our 16 hour flight. When I asked if we could move seats we were told no because the available seats cost more than the seats we paid to fly in. In what world is it acceptable to expect a customer to sit in front of a child getting sick for 7 hours when there are other available seats? I was told I would be contacted after our flight by customer service regarding this matter and still have not received a call. I’ve sent 3 emails and sat on hold for an hour trying to speak to someone. Finally got through to an agent just to be told someone from customer service would call me back.
RouteHong Kong to Manila
Date FlownNovember 2018

"won’t be flying them again"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to London via Hong Kong. A terrible airline, I missed my flight due to a mix up with midnight timings. I asked if I could speak to a Manager to get my ticket changed. But because I booked through a travel agent in the UK, they suggested I should call them because they couldn’t help me as I didn’t book with them directly. So after speaking to my UK travel agent, I asked if there was a spare seat on the flight to which he said we are fully booked. He suggested I come back tomorrow and book a seat. So I went to the Flight Centre at Brisbane Airport who were very helpful and said there were spare seats, so they booked me on my original flight at a cost of $1,260the lady at the Flight Centre called to see if she could book me on an earlier connection from Hong Kong to Heathrow which Cathay Pacific had agreed, so I went to the customer service desk where the manager was really rather rude and unhelpful, her colleague said that they there was a technical error as to why he couldn’t change my connecting flight. I certainly won’t be flying them again. Do yourself a favour and don’t use this airline terrible customer service.
RouteBrisbane to London via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2018

"I found the service terrible"

Trip Verified | Rome to Melbourne via Hong Kong. Seats are comfortable except for the usual complaints of backs being thin and passengers disturbing you with each move. But I found the service terrible, it surprised me, as I have flown with Cathay a few times. On my first leg, Rome - HK, drinks and food took over an hour before serving, no pre meal drinks service and then my meal was luke warm, in fact one side of it was cold?. Anyway it was uneatable. All very rushed with no extra offer of wine or even coffee. Breakfast terrible , HK - Melbourne, the same but this time nothing served till nearly 2 hours into the flight which left at 00,15, I as well as other passengers had to ask for some water. Then food again rushed, sort of very un professional , mine this time was so hot, I had to wait for it to cool a little. Drinks trolley came at least 10 mins after the meal service. and no extra drinks or coffee. Breakfast again , not good. It seemed the staff were in training or, or. Not sure if I would consider Cathay again. I like flying to Europe, twice a year via HK or Singapore but usually take Turkish Airlines from Asia, such a great experience with well trained staff and very good food.
RouteRome to Melbourne via Hong Kong

"overall good service"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Shanghai. On time departure, lovely crew and overall good service onboard and on the ground. Lovely lounge in Hong Kong and in general good value for money. I would not hesitate flying with them again.
RouteHong Kong to Shanghai

"train their representatives"

Trip Verified | Chennai to San Francisco via Hong Kong. Extremely disappointed with Cathay's check in process. The person at the check in counter straight out lied to me about the carry on baggage allowance and said that only one piece was allowed, when online, it says very clearly that there is one piece allowed + a laptop bag for under the seat, and force me to check in my carry on, even after I told him that I'd flown one way with the same baggage. He wouldn't put any priority tags on the baggage, even though I told him there was important paper work in it. On top of that he gave me a slip saying that Cathay was not responsible for any lost baggage(!) as the flights are operated by different carriers (also a lie - both the flights from and to HKG are through Cathay only). I will not be flying Cathay again until they train their representatives to be more honest.
RouteChennai to San Francisco via Hong Kong

"An excellent flight"

(Qatar)

Trip Verified | Washington to Hong Kong. An excellent flight, we boarded the flight late at night and took off ten minutes later than schedule but with nice tail winds we arrived an hour early. The seats where superb designed by Porsche to give maximum comfort, the entertainment system was amazing with a great mixture of box office hits and some classics, the food was good, I loved the leek soup and unfortunately I could not get the continental breakfast but no one can deliver perfection. The WiFi was very good provided by Panasonic and was quite reliable.
RouteWashington to Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2018

"good for a regional flight"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Nagoya to Taipei. Check in process was quite slow due to a very full loadings. We could access the Japan Airlines lounge in Nagoya Airport, but the lounge was relatively small and lacking food choices compare to other international hubs. However, the inflight service was excellent. I was surprised they offered 3 different food choices in a 2 hours flight. Drinks menu was attractive as well. The seats was not fully reclineable but it was still good for a regional flight.
AircraftA330-300
RouteNagoya to Taipei

"Overall disappointed"

Not Verified | Zürich to Manila via Hong Kong. Not the best experience, the staff is quite rude and totally ignored me. On my flight in and back I had to ask a couple of times for a bottle of water. The flight attendant completely ignored me and asked the girl who was sitting next to me if she wanted to eat and drink something, but did not ask me the question. I have never seen that, very poor service. The food is not great either and does not have good options. Overall disappointed and I will never fly with this airline again.
RouteZürich to Manila via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2018

"flight was smooth and comfortable"

Trip Verified | On my way back from Fiji via Auckland, I flew Cathay Pacific non-stop from HKG to LHR, a flight of nearly 13 hours! A few weeks ago I had flown the route in reverse. The aircraft was a Boeing 777-300ER with a seat configuration of 3+3+3. The leg room was good but not too good for a long flight like this. In-flight entertainment was so good that I did not get bored or restless. The flight was smooth and comfortable and there was no queue for the toilets. Cabin service was good with good food and drinks but sitting in the very last row of seats (72E) I could not help noticing that the staff were chatting away most of the time. That gets a low rating from me.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER