Cathay Pacific Airways

"Such a horrible airline"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Bangkok via Hong Kong. My flight was cancelled on Nov 13, 11.45 pm to Nov 14, 11.05 pm but they use the word "reschedule" to not be responsible to the passenger. They do not have hotel to support the passenger just told us go home and come back tomorrow. If you are the tourists you have to find your hotel by yourself. Actually my previous flight from Bangkok to Los Angeles via Hong Kong was horrible also, the toilet on the plane was not available since I was on-board and they don't fix it. The rest was really dirty and I have to wait for a long time to use the toilet. Such a horrible airline. Can't believe Cathay has poor standard and service like this. I am very disappointed.
RouteSan Francisco to Bangkok via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2019

"not travel with Cathay ever again"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Beijing via Hong Kong. I have been a Marco Polo member and several flights back and forth from the USA and Asian countries every year. Today, I called in to request a refund of a ticket that I had canceled several weeks ago. When I canceled, I thought that that was enough and I didn't have to call them to "request for a refund" until I realized that the fund has not been credited back to me. After waiting for more than 30 minutes, I talked to an agent. She started the conversation with a nice greeting. Then after she realized that the travel date of the CANCELED ticket has been passed and I didn't call in for the refund request earlier, she began to tell me that I have to be charged for "no-show" and "cancelation fee" (even though my ticket was canceled within the 24-hour grace period). To be honest, I didn't even know what I was supposed to call to "request" this refund, and I explained to her my situation. She put me on hold for a little while and talked to someone. She then came back and told me that Cathay can waive the no-show fee but not the cancelation fee. I told her that I did cancel within 24-hour and Cathay is obliged to not charge me any cancelation fee. I'm not unhappy because of the charge she insisted, but actually about what she was saying next. She said "if you don't have anything else to say, then finish paying for the charge because I don't have time to stay on the line with you for this issue". Really? I waited more than half an hour for the call. I admit, there are many customers on the line, but our call was not even 5' yet and more than 90% of the time it was about her checking the system and talking to someone else. But more importantly, I have never experienced any response like this from any customer service reps, and certainly not from Cathay Pacific customer service. Then I politely asked her that I'd like to speak to her manager. She told me "ok", but then she re-directed me back into the mainline and there was the wait all over again. Honestly, this is the WORST experience I have ever had from any type of customer reps. Since the time I started flying with Cathay, the service continues to go down spirally. There were indeed flying experience with Cathay, but I do not see the same level of service across different times, even on the same routes. I have almost over 300K Asia miles and I intend to use it, but I will not travel with Cathay ever again after that.
RouteSan Francisco to Beijing via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2019

"I didn't have travel insurance"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Toronto. In advance I paid extra for a seat with extra leg room, beside the exit door . In Bali (my previous destination) I broke my foot right before the flight to Hong Kong, not knowing it was broken I boarded the flight of 5 hours in excruciating pain. Once I landed I realized it was broken - Immediately called my doctor back home and asked what I needed to do. I didn't have travel insurance so I could not afford to go to a hospital. He instructed that I elevate my leg and ice it on the plane. When I arrived at the boarding gate in a wheelchair the flight attendant said nothing to me about changing my seat from the exit row, not until we were boarding on the ramp did I realize my seat was moved. At the door of the plane I asked why this was. They told me because I couldn't help in the case of an emergency. They put me in a middle seat behind this exit aisle. When I requested a change of seat they said there was nothing left but Economy Plus - something I would need to pay for if I wanted extra room. I had no choice but to upgrade my seat to ensure my leg was elevated (can you imagine a 15 hour flight with no pain medication and the cabin pressure causing extreme discomfort... well don't worry this airline can't imagine it either). They charged me $2,600 Canadian dollars to is in a seat that had leg room. I hope someone from this airline looks into this because I am very dissatisfied with your customer service.
RouteHong Kong to Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2019

"cold and useless service"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Jakarta. If you wish to fly with your family or friends but don’t want to sit next to them during the flight, then book Cathay. They never put you in the seat next to the people who book the tickets together with you unless you want to pay more in advance (happened to me more than once). You will also get cold and useless service from the moment you check in and during your flight, until you land at your destination. Plus, the food also tastes bad. I hope I will never have to fly with Cathay Pacific ever again.
RouteHong Kong to Jakarta

"Great value flights"

Not Verified | London to Manila via Hong Kong. We booked our flights via this airline because it was the best value and good flight times. All four flights were excellent. Staff at all stages were friendly and helpful, the food was pretty good, plenty of leg room, and huge amount of choice of inflight entertainment. Not at any stage of our travels did we find an issue or find anything didn’t meet our expectations. Great value flights, would definitely use again and recommend to others, don’t be put off by the bad reviews. Cheap and cheerful.
RouteLondon to Manila via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2019

"pleased with all aspects of their service"

Trip Verified | Adelaide to London via Hong Kong. My wife and I travel regulary with Cathay Pacific and have always been very pleased with all aspects of their service. We have tried other airlines but have always returned to cathay pacific. This August on our return trip we opted for a longer stop over in transit (12 hours) so we could take a visit to Hong Kong centre and have lunch etc. On our return to the airport we found the departure gates all closed as there were demonstrators all over the airport blocking departure gates. All the flights were showing cancelled on the information boards, so we just sat in a corner and waited for any news. Some of the demonstrators walked round giving people water and food, and apologised for the inconvenience being caused, they were not hostile at all. After several hours and no news that the flight would be going we decided to get the train back to the city and book in a hotel, as we was just about to go out the building my wife and was approached by two young ladies in Cathay pacific uniform and asked us if we were with CP, when we told them yes one of the ladies along with a young man without uniform chaperoned us to "area A" of the airport where there was another small departure gate. They spoke to some security people and we was slipped through the gate unbeknowing to demonstrators, on the plane only lost half hour. Were flying again this December with no qualms.
RouteAdelaide to London via Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2019

"lacks total empathy"

Not Verified | Beijing to Sydney via Hong Kong. Late aircraft, uncertain which gate to go to. Staff were useless at best, not willing to do anything to help the lateness or provide any extras on board despite them causing me massive inconvenience. Terrible airline and lacks total empathy and customer service.
RouteBeijing to Sydney via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2019

"We won’t fly with Cathay again"

Trip Verified | Sydney to London via Hong Kong. We found the check in staff and cabin crew nowhere near as friendly as other airlines we flew in Business Class. Business Class meals are very poor quality and selection, they seem to cater for more Asian people in the meals, so in future we will use other airlines. Even their inflight entertainment selection is inferior to others, only good thing is the aircraft comfort. I will add a photo of the meal choices for the London to Hong Kong section. We flew from Sydney to London return and all the Business Class meals were below standard, many times only on plastic trays compared to other airlines who serve from a trolley. We won’t fly with Cathay again, other airlines for Business Class are far superior.
RouteSydney to London via Hong Kong

"Not worth the expense"

Trip Verified | Chennai to Seoul via Hong Kong. Had seen several videos on Cathay's premium economy and decided to indulge and get premium economy for my wife and myself, last month. However, it was the biggest disappointment. It was not worth paying double of economy class. There was no Champagne welcome in fact no welcome drink. After take off we were offered water and 3 hours into the flight we were offered breakfast which was in the same plastic trays as economy. Not to forget but there was no welcome kit. What is the difference between economy and Premium. A few extra inches of leg space! Of course there is no option to use the lounge at the airport while in transit. Wondering how could frequent flyers like us get so badly misled. Not worth the expense and would highly recommend economy class for travel and splurge more at the destination.
RouteChennai to Seoul via Hong Kong

"Service was satisfactory"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to New York JFK. The economy cabin had rows of seats 3 x 4 x 3. It felt cramped. Service was satisfactory. A large library of films was available for viewing - decent headsets were in the seat pocket. On the seat, itself were a blanket and pillow and the seat reclined sufficiently. A menu card was distributed. Lunch and dinner were served and in between in the galley area, a wide selection of snacks, non-alcoholic beverages, eyeshades and socks were laid out. Bathrooms remained clean during this long flight. Flight attendants were efficient. Duty-free products were hawked but there was really nothing to buy from the catalogue on a flight to the US! Departure and arrival were on time. At the boarding gate, passengers were subject to additional security screening. The biggest drawback to the economy seats is obviously the tightness of space, including storage space around you (overhead bins are spacious on the 777-300) and the total lack of privacy. Just turning on the overhead lamp to read a book lights up the entire row. Overall, however, Cathay Pacific does well to ensure that economy class passengers have decent travel experience. We arrived in Terminal 8. Disembarkation was quick.
RouteHong Kong to New York JFK