Cathay Pacific Airways

"flight was smooth and comfortable"

Trip Verified | On my way back from Fiji via Auckland, I flew Cathay Pacific non-stop from HKG to LHR, a flight of nearly 13 hours! A few weeks ago I had flown the route in reverse. The aircraft was a Boeing 777-300ER with a seat configuration of 3+3+3. The leg room was good but not too good for a long flight like this. In-flight entertainment was so good that I did not get bored or restless. The flight was smooth and comfortable and there was no queue for the toilets. Cabin service was good with good food and drinks but sitting in the very last row of seats (72E) I could not help noticing that the staff were chatting away most of the time. That gets a low rating from me.
RouteHong Kong to London Heathrow

"Terrible service"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Manila via Hong Kong. Terrible service. I found the staff at the check in area (specially the one who checked me in) very rude and obnoxious. They talk to us like we are not customers and it feels like they are doing us a favor. I had excess baggage and I get that, either I pay or remove the extra kilos. So I tried to remove all the extra kilos, I came back then the lady checked me in said she has to weigh my hand carry (it was a small backpack with my passport and wallet, then one obnoxious lady interjected and said “Is that your hand carry,? Why you didn’t declare it, she already asked you (refering to the crew who is checking me in) if you have any hand carry?. Before I even start to answer her (which she don’t try to let me) she already said a lot of stuff, and then I answered her that “The crew didn’t ask me about that, she just ask me to put my backpack on the weighing scale”, she don’t really want me to explain and I told her I didn’t know carry on must be weighed too, and if i try to hide it I will not let my sister hold it near me”. I don’t wanna argue with her because I don’t think she will understand what I am saying. I ended up leaving my cabin Trolley to my sister which only had my laptop, go pro and dslr) (9KG my backpck and my cabin trolley). So I had to put it all in my check in luggage. I had travelled many airlines before and I had never experienced what I had experienced in Cathay Pacific. I will never fly with Cathay Pacific anymore. Service from Hong Kong to Manila was not as bad as what i have experienced in Dubai. Seat comfort is not bad. Meal quality was okay and meal and drink service was good. Entertainment facilities are great.
RouteDubai to Manila via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2018

"seat was very comfortable"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Singapore. The Pier First Class Lounge in Hong Kong was beautiful and food was excellent. The showers were clean and well stocked with amenities. On the aircraft the staff were exceptionally friendly, and took care of you. The aircraft was new and felt nearly unused. The seat was beautifully decorated and the finish was a massive step up from their product on the A330 and 777. The seat was massive and the amount of personal space and privacy was unrivaled by other business classes I’ve flown. The seat was very comfortable, and I slept very well on this early morning flight. The inflight entertainment system was new and responsive, and selection of movies and TV shows was incredible. The food was excellent but was not spectacular- as a short morning flight the selection of food and drink was not massive. The flight arrived a few minutes late and because of this, I missed my connecting flight with EVA Air to Seoul, via Taipei. However, the staff took care of this, and in less than half an hour had booked me on to a Cathay Pacific flight to Seoul via Hong Kong. The incredibly friendly and helpful ground staff truly saved my trip and deserved incredible praise for their hard work. This flight was with points.
AircraftA350-900
RouteHong Kong to Singapore

"Great airline to fly"

Trip Verified | London to Hong Kong. Great airline to fly. It was a long time since I flew the and the service was still good. This is a long flight and comfort was essential as was the boredom. The seat pitch was adequate for my 6ft height but could do better. The seating was 3x3x3 but felt slightly cramped for a long flight. In-flight entertainment was very good and stopped me from becoming restless. The hostesses were charming and the food and drink services were good.
RouteLondon to Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Friendly and engaging crew"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Superb service on both flights. They seemed happy to serve and did not have the fake smile. Food good as far as airline food goes. Snacks served during flight from JNB-HKG. Was dreading the 10 abreast seating on B777 and even though the seat is a little narrower, I found the seat cushion comfortable. Head rest also good. The toilets were clean. Overall a very good experience. The HKG-BKK flight was also excellent. Friendly and engaging crew. Good breakfast served. No complaints. Highly recommended.
AircraftBoeing 777 and A350-900
RouteJohannesburg to Bangkok via Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2018

"ignored by the cabin crew"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Amsterdam. We had bought tickets months in advance and booked seats for our trip Amsterdam-Phuket. Just before departure however, the allocated seats for the return journey on October 21, 2018 for Hong Kong-Amsterdam were changed from row 18 to row 20, directly behind the pantry, next to a toilet and frequently used cabinets, particularly bad places for a night flight! The proximity of the pantry was no guarantee for a good service, on the contrary. On departure there was a delay of 20 minutes. We had a clear view in the pantry and saw that passengers in the "front" part of the business class were offered a second preflight drink. Not for the part where we were, we were ignored by the cabin crew. When serving the meal, I was probably the last passenger in the plane to get my pork with cold noodles. For the sake of clarity, because we flew several times with Cathay Pacific, I became a member of the Marco Polo club, silver member now. This loyalty is apparently one-sided because at home I filed a complaint and received an automated message that one of the employees of the Customer Relations Department would contact me within 10 days. This has not yet happened, not even to mention that the complaint handling takes longer, nothing. I think this is a shameful way to deal with your customers. The only reason the assessment is moderate and not bad is due to the circumstance that on the Phuket-Hong Kong route we experienced good service with sister company Cathay Dragon.
RouteHong Kong to Amsterdam

"horrible experience overall"

Trip Verified | I would like to make all potential Cathay Pacific customers aware of the embarrassing and rude customer service my husband and I received from a Cathay Pacific Customer Service Representative at the Hong Kong airport. We are on our way back from our honeymoon which original route was from USA to Hong Kong to Bangkok. The inflight experience is excellent at Cathay - unfortunately that is where that service and experience stops. We were mocked and spoken poorly about right in front of our faces and in front of other passengers for presenting our business class lounge ticket that was for “post departure” between our 11 hour layover from Bangkok. We had originally booked premium economy and were upgraded to business for the short flight (BKK to HKG). When they did this the check in attendant gave us passes to the lounge for when we arrive in Hong Kong, which was very helpful since we landed at 10:50 and don’t depart until 9:30 the next morning. This was never honored. Instead, we have been waiting in the airport and finally went to the lounge when it opened at 5:30am and were turned away because our flight that got in last night at 10:50 was only good for the lounge until midnight (about 1 hour), when our flight to America leaves at 9am. The representative stopped us from going in the lounge and did not do it in a nice way at all. No recommendation on where to go, no sympathy for us waiting around all night to finally get into the lounge. The saddest part of it all, is the demeanor and attitude change as soon as she saw my American passport. She and her friend immediately started talking and laughing in another language. This was very uncomfortable. This has been a horrible experience overall starting off with our bags being lost and never leaving the USA when we started our honeymoon travels in Bangkok. We had to go looking for clothes around Bangkok for the first half of the day since we were without any luggage. I think the biggest fear of two newlyweds on the other side of the country with oversize baggage (that I paid $150usd to cover for) showed up with 0 bags. Needless to say, the experience has been on edge and not relaxing whatsoever due to all of the mishaps. The inflight team is wonderful and makes sure you are taken care of, if only the Cathay Pacific team was all well-verses in how to take care of two customers that have chosen to travel around the world with them.
RouteHong Kong to new York
Date FlownNovember 2018

"service on board are great"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Manchester to Hong Kong. The best airline, I have been flying with them for last pass four year and the service on board are just great. Lounges are great and staff are pleasing. On board the business class seat are great - 1x2x1 is the best layout.
RouteManchester to Hong Kong
Date FlownJune 2018

"roughly the same as it’s competitors"

Trip Verified | Despite Cathay Pacific being more expensive than Air Canada (on average), I opted for Cathay Pacific on the grounds that they had the midnight flight to Vancouver - this ultimately means that I am able to maximize the amount of time that I have at my destination. Historically, I would’ve told you that Cathay Pacific provides a superior service, but nowadays, it’s roughly the same as it’s competitors. They have more attentive flight attendants and better IFE choices, but that’s about it. The food is okay, but I feel that Air Canada has better food, and despite having wider seats than the former, I still find that Air Canada seats and the cabin as a whole feel more comfy (maybe it’s all the mood lighting). CX888 still operates the 777-300ER exclusively, and while I love 777s, Cathay decided against installing wifi on them. I do applaud Cathay’s commitment to cabin cleanliness - I don’t get any nasty surprises by taking my shoes of or putting my bag on the floor, and they do provide plenty of bathrooms for people. To date, Cathay is still the only airline where I can walk over to the galley and get whatever unhealthy snacks and beverages I want without anyone raising an eyebrow, so that’s nice too, but otherwise if you have some time to spend, and you are operating on a tight budget, the Cathay experience is no longer a distinguishing feature for the airline. I for one would pick the cheaper option whenever feasible - the experience isn’t all that different anyway.
RouteHong Kong to Vancouver
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Cabin Crew were outstanding"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Osaka. The journey started off with a visit to "The Wing" one of Cathay's First Class Lounges for breakfast and relaxation. The flight was an 8am departure, but Check-In was not opened until 5.30am even though there were earlier flights departing with hardly any Cathy personnel around to assist. Being a One World Emerald member it does make the Airport experience much smoother. It's great to see priority boarding enforced and an on time departure to my next holiday destination. The Cabin Crew were outstanding, very hospitable and welcoming. I was even greeted personally by the Supervisor and Cabin Manager thanking me for flying with One World. Since it was Breakfast, the meal was average but did taste very good. Lastly, my absolute favourite part was the new plane model, and from seat comfort to IFE, everything was new and Fresh.
AircraftA350-900