Cathay Pacific Airways

"service change will be $200"

Not Verified | Ho Chi Minh to San Francisco via Hong Kong. The food on the flight was bland and cold. Im on a family vacation since January 28 but my returning flight leaves on March 4 and I wish to leave earlier. To change it to February 23, it would cost me over $200. I wish the airline had some sympathy that people want to leave early because of a virus. I've called my booking agent, the airline customer service line and did everything I could to change my flight departure date but all was answered with a "the service change will be $200". I wish the airline overall would change such policy.
RouteHo Chi Minh to San Francisco via Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Poor show - never again"

Trip Verified | London to Perth via Hong Kong. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Firstly, I must say flight London to Hong Kong enjoyable but the rest 0/10. Ran out of meals to Perth (not being snobbish but a lot of money paid for premium economy so not expecting that). Then as the holiday nears it end I get a text from Cathay Pacific saying my flight had been cancelled. No explanation just cancelled that's that. Then half an hour later Cathay Pacific has booked me on another flight but 16 hours later so not only a long wait in the airport but I have to cancel a connecting flight from London to Edinburgh and pay for another. Poor show - never again
RouteLondon to Perth via Hong Kong

"Terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Tokyo via Hong Kong. Terrible customer service. Changed my flight to an unacceptable flight with many hours of stopover requiring me to pay for accomodation and miss 2 days of my trip. Refused to offer any help in organising a more appropriate flight.
RouteSydney to Tokyo via Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I am stranded for 2 days"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Bali to Hong Kong. I am so disgusted. My flight was changed without any notification leaving my stranded in Bali. No explanation has been given and now I must stay here and extra day. The service is uncontactable unless you’re in a Marco Polo club. No phone numbers are given. Now I am stranded for 2 days.
RouteCape Town to Bali via Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"not waive the cancellation fee"

Trip Verified | Perth to Osaka via Hong Kong. Due to Corona Virus many airlines are cancelling flights to Hong Kong and waiving cancellation and rebooking fees. Cathay Pacific however will not waive the cancellation fee. They are essentially forcing me to fly through Hong Kong on my way to and from Japan, risking my health and putting me in a position where i might not be let back into Australia. If i choose to cancel i have to pay $500 in cancellation fees - its an absolute joke. Cathay Pacific is a Hong Kong based company and this is where most of their business is. They are risking peoples health and livelihood by not waiving these cancellation fees (who can afford to just waste $500 for nothing?) I phoned several different representatives to explain my situation, they are all drones who repeat the same thing, and when i eventually got put through to a manager i was on hold for an hour before they disconnected the call. They are waiving the rebooking fees however, which almost makes it worse. They are admitting there is a problem but then not allowing people to cancel their flights. I cannot rebook my flight as there are No available flights which get me to where i need to go without travelling through Hong Kong.. Whoever has made this decision is thinking about their business Only and not the safety and well being of their customers.
RoutePerth to Osaka via Hong Kong

"it’s gone downhill"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Sapporo. As a long time Cathay flyer and Marco Polo club member (14 years), I’m afraid to say it’s gone downhill. It used to be premium service. Now it’s just as expensive, but with old planes and staff that are polite but there’s no caring or warmth anymore.
RouteHong Kong to Sapporo
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"£300 each to cancel our booking"

Trip Verified | London to Tokyo via Hong Kong. We booked our holiday with separate flights 16 days ago for 7 months time. Unfortunately due to the coronavirus our cruise around Japan and China was cancelled by our cruise company. Eventually after persisting for just under an hour we got through to a very unhelpful representative who told us that it was company policy to charge £300 each to cancel our booking. We tried to explain that the cancellation was not in our control but all they could say was company policy.
RouteLondon to Tokyo via Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"What a ridiculous experience"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Clark via Hong Kong. I bought a round trip ticket from a reliable ticketing Agent. But I phoned Cathay Pacific directly and confirm many times to make sure that our flights is no changes and no any inconvenience situation. From Vancouver to Hong Kong flights is ok. But arriving to Hong Kong My husband and me was very disappointed by changing our boarding passes Hong Kong to Manila. I asked why but they cannot give me the specific answer. They just assured me that someone will assist us when we arrived in Manila. So I asked one or two or three staff how they will transport us to Clark Int’l Airport and they said by bus. My husband and me were shocked thinking that they will transport us by air not by land because thats what our air tickets is and didn’t bought land transportation. What a ridiculous experience, we even waited for so long for the bus provided plus for our relatives who picked us up in the Airport at Mabalacat was so worried to us expecting that we are arriving early in the morning but it turned out in a very late afternoon. I don’t think I will be recommending this airline to my family, friends and colleagues.
RouteVancouver to Clark via Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"many touch points missed"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bangkok via Hong Kong. Travel is a gift. Every touch point should evoke a different sense of excitement and thrill. Air flights are the beginnings of many touch points, and options for comfort exist. International business class is not all equal. Here's my optic of Cathay Pacific Business Class LAX-HKG-BKK and the return BKK-HKG-LAX. How excited we were to by chance be able to save our vacation travel from headaches and fly Cathay Pacific. Originally, we were set to fly PAL Business Class thru Manila to BKK; however, the Taal Volcano threw us a curve ball four days before our journey was to begin. In desperately search for an alternative carrier that would align with existing connections in BKK as well as return accommodation in BKK, Cathay Pacific held the flights. Without hesitation we booked. Now, we are not novices to International Business Class travel. EVA is our most preferred carrier, but its flight schedule did not align with our awaiting connection in BKK. We had always said that we should fly Cathay Pacific to see how it compared. It was only just nine months earlier we flew PAL for the first time and were pleasantly surprised. With that being said, we were under impression that Cathay Pacific held one up on EVA. So, perhaps Cathay Pacific would be our new go to first before EVA. Let us begin. Flight CX881 15 Jan 20 LAX-HKG departed on time. That's always a good thing. The business seat though lacks lumbar support (see photo). The amenity kit was marginally stocked with a toothbrush kit, 15ml mouthwash, Bamford hand cream plus lip balm as well as hydrating face spray, sleep mask, and earplugs. Other marginal amenities were a pair of small disposal slippers that are not quite sized to accommodate a wide foot market and a comforter. No pajamas here folks on this long haul as EVA, but to be fair PAL lacks PJs as well. Good thing though I brought a heavy cotton sweater as the cabin is kept cold, like cold cold. You learn these little things as you travel. Not all carriers maintain comfortable air. Movie selection at first appears to be vast, but upon further review, Maleficent was the only recent movie. I'm not on top of trending movies, so I named Maleficent due to TV commercial exposure. The rest are older releases with some that are ancient. Ah, not something expected. Please take time to learn what customers are seeing at the movies. A note about the interactive monitor, it is sluggish to the point of freezing up at times while scrolling. What type of dated software operating system is being used? Just saying. The dinner options were typical. Local food with some Western. When the flight attendant came to take my dinner order, she asked if I would like the burger. She then asked if I would like the seared chicken breast. That received a no. She actually looks stunned and finally asked what I would like. I ordered fish ball tung choy choy soup. For beverages, I ordered French Burgundy and water. BTW, no flight attendant comes around asking if you would like more wine. Dessert taken was cheese along with fruit, and I asked for a cordial Cointreau. Another look of like OMG I have to work. With the flight leaving almost at midnight, there was no pre cordial anything which was not expected either. So many touch points missed. Remember this is International Business Class, not American/United/Delta domestic make believe first. A tablecloth is laid, but do not get excited.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteLos Angeles to Bangkok via Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"not expect any help from this airline"

Trip Verified | I was supposed to fly from Edmonton to Manila with a layover in Hong Kong. Due to the Coronavirus outbreak all passengers coming from Hong Kong to the Philippines are subject to a mandatory 14 day quarantine (the entire duration of my trip). They have a $200 dollar cancellation fee that I felt should have been waived due to circumstances, but they would not adjust this policy. Now I am also forced to wait from 1 to 8 weeks for my credit card to be refunded. Do not expect any help from this airline in case of an emergency, customer service and customer care are ignored in place of policy and procedure.
RouteEdmonton to Manila via Hong Kong