Cathay Pacific Airways

"I have outlaid money twice to CX for nothing in return."

Trip Verified | Abysmal service from Cathay Pacific all around. Flight was changed, and cancelled four times, due to 'operational reasons'. I'm a patient person, I am also a pilot. I asked for a definition of 'operational reasons' and I was given nothing at all. I have a limited amount of time to get to the Philippines to see my daughter for her birthday, for the fifth rebook, CX could only offer me a date nearly 2 weeks after her birthday. Not good enough! More than most people, I know what this COVID situation is doing to the airline industry, but in this instance, I don't think they should take your money before your flight is absolutely confirmed. To add insult to injury, I had already booked a previous flight with Cathay, but through a dodgy travel agent, who told me that no changes were possible, even though I paid for a flexible ticket! So I have outlaid money twice to CX for nothing in return. Last time I contacted them, I was advised that my credit card would be refunded 'after seven working days'. It's been twelve days now, and today their staff are telling me 'up to five weeks'? They took the money off of me in seconds! To other possible customers out there, don't accept any excuses about COVID-19. Because if anything, less people are flying because of the virus, so they should be able to expedite your refund faster. Poor show Cathay; you have lost me as a customer.
AircraftA350 / A330
RoutePerth to Cebu via Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2020

"deterioration of business class food and wine"

Trip Verified | While there was a direct SYD-SFO option with UA, their price for business class was excessive and my track record with UA in flight service isn't great. So I opted for the indirect SYD-HKG-SFO routing at a much more palatable price that also helped with my oneworld status. The check-in staff in SYD were great and then immigration and security were empty and I was through to airside in no time. Of course, with essentially everything closed at SYD including all the lounges, there was nothing much to do. Boarding was swift and we were on our way to HKG in no time. Security at HKG was also empty however fortunately CX's Wing lounge was open. After the mandatory additional security checks at the gate, boarding for the SFO sector was also swift. I can only say that the Cathay crew on both sectors were outstanding, much like the days of yore when Cathay was one of the world's greatest airlines. Courteous, caring and personable, they seemed to want to go the extra mile to ensure everyone was as comfortable as possible. If this review were just about the inflight crew then they'd get top marks however what drags down the experience is the continued deterioration of the CX business class food and wine offering. Most of what I consumed was average at best although the most surprising thing was that a salad that was listed both as a supper option and then again as an "anytime" option, only had one serving loaded for maybe 15 business class passengers. The crew were mortified but could do nothing. I realise things are tough for CX at the moment but why tantalise premium passengers with an extensive menu if you can't deliver on it? Offer me less but make sure there's enough of everything to go beyond just one passenger and I'll be happy.
RouteSydney to San Francisco via Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"you certainly have won our admiration as customers"

Trip Verified | Full marks and much appreciation for a prompt and full refund of our unused flights due to Covid 19 from Paris to Hong Kong and Hong Kong to Sydney. We had a refund in our account just 12 days after we applied which was truly exceptional. So disappointed in our own airline Qantas from whom we are still waiting for a refund on a cancelled flight since first applying in March six months ago! We will definitely use Cathay Pacific in the future because of this experience and you certainly have won our admiration as customers. Thank You.
RouteParis to Sydney via Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"No apologies, no compensation, nothing"

Trip Verified | Of 4 airlines that I booked for my wife and myself to LAX from MNL, Cathay Pacific was the only not to cancel our outbound flight. Little did I know what nightmares were coming. We were scheduled to return on different dates. First, CX canceled the HKG-MNL leg of my wife's flight and didn't offer any alternatives. They were content to strand her in HKG. When I called, they offered the same itinerary that my wife already had on a different date. But they wanted an upcharge of over $1,000. They finally booked on an itinerary with a 12 hour transit in HKG. No apologies, no compensation, nothing. My wife had to accept as she had to be in MNL for a work deadline. Days after, I received an email that my return flight was changed. Upon closer examination, I realized that CX stuck me with a 24.5 hour layover in HKG. Their attitude was that I accepted the change. I did not. They made the change, not me. I found out that under HK law, I'm not even allowed to have a transit that long! Not sure what CX was planning to do with me after I was denied transit in HKG. When I called, I was offered my previous itinerary on a different date but with a $2200 upcharge. I ended up having to cancel my return flight and book with a different airline. The refund, which I have not received is only 10% of my original fare after penalties. CX used to be a great airline. I will never choose it again. I've never been the victim of an airline extortion attempt before.
RouteManila to Los Angeles via Hong Kong
Date FlownJune 2020

"dissapointed about that reaction"

Trip Verified | In March Cathay informed me that my booked flight from Ho Chi Minh City to Amsterdam couldn't take place because of the situation around COVID-19. I had to find an alternative flight back home. After 5 failed attempts, I finally found flights back to my home country. However, the extra costs I had to make were about € 3.500: the price of tickets was sky high and I had to stay a few days longer in HCM. Back home I asked my travel insurance for compensation. They told me you will have to claim the extra costs at Cathay Pacific. They could make the decision to fly via other hubs but usually that costs them a lot of money so they cancel the flight. So I claimed the extra costs. They didn't accept my claim. They told me: we informed you sufficient time before your flight, so you had all the time to find new tickets. I am really dissapointed about that reaction. Informing me in time has nothing to do with the fact that they are responsible to fly me back home. I decided never to fly anymore with this company.
RouteAmsterdam to Hanoi via Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I won't recommend Cathay to anyone"

Trip Verified | The review is to do with Cathay's customer service (CS) attitude and its business ethic during the COVID crisis. They lied and refused to help those who are in vulnerable situations. 12 Jul, I booked for 9 Aug flights 14 Jul, Australia drops incoming travellers quota further. Every week I would check with Cathay if I could still get to fly - its CS told me I was fine. I have also indicated that I'm on my 3rd trimester. I would be 33-week pregnant by the time I fly. Shockingly, Cathay only emailed me 3 days before the flight date with lies that flight got cancelled. Never got a phone call. Never got offered replacement seats. I knew the flight cancellation was a lie because my mum was still got her seat on the same flight. We book our flight together but because my mum was on a business seat, Cathay split her booking ID from mine. My mother is disabled and I'm her sole carer in Australia so this outcome was the worst. Because I would be stuck alone in Thailand giving birth without close family and Mum would also be struck alone in Sydney's quarantine and she could barely speak English. From Friday 7 to Sunday 9 of August, I chatted to Cathay's CS and called them over 5 times. They all said sorry but it was up to the "Revenue team" to review my case. I was surprised that the authority of this matter is in the hand of the revenue team which probably doesn't work on the weekend. After the first request, all I got is one cold rejected email on Sat morning. The CS said the earliest next flight for me is 2 September, way pass my 36-week of pregnancy (you aren't allowed to fly after). This is either a lie or an act of negligent. From social media, I found out later that other Cathay passengers who got bumped off their flights after my case got offered flights much earlier than this, even as early as 11 August. I relentlessly politely appealed to the CS and begged for their help and offers them many options they can do for us - 1) Reinstate my seat; 2) Allow me to take my mum place to fly (she can be cared for in Thailand while waiting for her next flight) and; 3) Refund both of our flights so we have our fund to try to fly elsewhere. Cathay reps politely but mechanically rejected all options I asked for. They said the option 3) will cost me a penalty fee because it would be my fault to cancel to my mum's flight. I sympathise all airline businesses in this trying time. However, Cathay has proven to stoop so low to even cutback its humanity. Sure the service onboard is great. It's airport staff in Thailand also super intelligent and helpful (Deepest gratitude to Ms Phattar... who saved us at the last minute before the flight were due) but I won't recommend Cathay to anyone if you have a choice.
RouteBangkok to Sydney via Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2020

"half-hearted cabin service, terrible food"

Not Verified | Hong Kong to Vancouver. I am a million - miler business traveler and have flown practically all major airlines. One airline I had not flown with was Cathay Pacific. I decided to try them primarily because of schedule restrictions and demands. My checking in process was slow but it went OK. The problems began when I got situated in my seat. First I discover that my entertainment system didn't work. I called the flight attendant for assistance, but she acted as if I was bothering her and treated me as a complete nuisance that was imposing on her iphone chatting. The wonderful experience continued with an announcement from the captain who sounded half-asleep and completely disinterested in talking to the passengers and it continued with half-hearted cabin service, terrible food, cheap wine and crackling sound from the semi-operating entertainment system. I'll spare you the details of this great experience by advising you to fly a hot air balloon before you think about spending your hard earned money on this parody of airline.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteHong Kong to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"did not receive my luggage yet"

(Vietnam)

Not Verified | I was booking the ticket from Kansas City to Dallas, Dallas to San Fransisco, San Frasisco to Hong Kong and from Hong Kong to Da Nang (24/3/2020). The airline did not say anything about only Hong Kong residents can fly. When I got to San Fransisco they email me the ticket is canceled. Why didn't you tell me for the first time? Then the airline said I can get a full refund intermediately, but now it is nearly 24h after that. Also, the airline didn't rebook for me for another flight or at least buy the ticket for me to get back in Kansas City and left me back overnight in the airports. Nonetheless, they keep my luggage and I did not receive my luggage yet. Now I'm like a homeless in San Fransisco airport.
RouteSan Francisco to Da Nang via Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2020

"There is a lot of space"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Hong Kong. First class old type, open spaces and 8 seats in the cabin. There is a lot of space, good mattresses. The choice and quality of food is average, the drinks are excellent! The service is good. Great pajamas
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteVancouver to Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2019

"The service is good"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Vancouver. First class old type of seat, open spaces. 8 seats in the cabin. There is a lot of space, good mattresses. The choice and quality of food is average, the drinks are excellent! The service is good. Great pajamas.
Seat TypeFirst Class