Cathay Pacific Airways

"Cathay has gone from bad to worse"

(China)

Trip Verified | Perth to Hong Kong. It used to be a great airline; in fact it used to be my favourite airline. But Cathay has gone from bad to worse. I'm not really a big guy (185/85kg), but I suffered in that tiny economy seat. Behind me was a similarly tall guy, whose knees were constantly in my back. I could barely move in that seat and I'm surprised that there are no restrictions as to how small a seat can be. But looking at the 'Premium Economy', I know what Cathay economy used to be. The other aspect is food and beverage. For a long-haul flight of more than 7 hours I expect decent meals and good supply of at least water to prevent dehydration. Neither was provided sufficiently. Especially the breakfast was a total joke. I'd be ashamed to serve that. As far as hydration is concerned, I asked twice to get more water and was ignored. In the morning I asked for more coffee and was ignored as well. Does the crew have too much stress? They used to be a lot more caring, attentive and forthcoming. The only advantage I felt was the 30kg baggage allowance, but even that becomes more and more of a standard and does not give Cathay an edge over other airlines. I hope Cathay can find back to its former glory. For now I'll try to avoid it.
RoutePerth to Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2019

"way below the other airlines"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Hong Kong. For Business Class they are way below the other airlines for meals and crew friendliness. Imagine our disgust when dinner was a choice of prawns or a hamburger with soggy chips! It’s a disgrace and served on a plastic tray. The seats and cabin are fine, but we have been spoilt by the crew of other airlines, Cathay fall way short. This is the first leg of our Business class trip to Paris return, not a good start
RouteSydney to Hong Kong

"really impressed"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | I choose to fly Cathay Pacific from Manchester to Phnom Phen with my school. It was a wonderful experience. The aircraft from Manchester to Hong Kong was modern and new. The seat was comfortable and equipped with personal in-flight entertainment screen. The IFE contained large options of films, TV shows and Music. The seat itself was comfortable and adjustable with headrest. The seat provided a pillow and a blanket with headphones. The seat pocket contains everything that every long-haul airline standard have (magazine, safety card, sickness bag, shopping magazine etc). The crew handed out a menu which is very useful for making meal options. The flight departed on time from Manchester and lunch service was provided an hour after took off. The food was delicious and of a high standard. The crew were really friendly and motivated. They constantly providing refreshments for passengers for a whole flight. This is an overnight flight so the cabin lights dimmed very early. The dimmed was through out the flight until the breakfast service around 3 hours before landing. The toilet was modern, clean and have good facilities. The breakfast service was fast and like lunch service, the food was delicious The flight arrived on time in Hong Kong. The first flight is really impressive long-haul flight. The transfer process in Hong Kong is easy and fast. I took my second flight to Phnom Phen with Cathay Dragon. The seat is really comfortable and the aircraft equipped with air vents. The onboard service is good with a complimentary drink and mid-flight snack, but the crew weren't really friendly and didn't hand out all papers to hand into Cambodian immigration. The flight depart and arrive on time. Overall, I was really impressed with Cathay Pacific, despite a minor fault, I would fly with them again.
AircraftA350-900/A320-200
RouteManchester to Phnom Phen via Hong Kong
Date FlownJuly 2019

"I would recommend Cathay Pacific"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Brisbane via Hong Kong. We have previously flown with Cathay Pacific in their Premium Economy class and we decided to upgrade to Business Class. The comfort level in Business Class in wonderful with a very comfortable seat, lots of leg room and a seat that converted to a flat bed. The Business class seat has amble compartments for your personal items along with charging station and good quality headphones. The entertainment offered on the flight was a little disappointing and I felt was a limited selection, my recollection from previous flights with Cathay was that the range of entertainment offered was larger and has since diminished. The customer service is fantastic and the cabin staff should be commended, as well as the ground staff, who I have found to be timely and efficient. The only criticism that I have is that I found it difficult to sleep due to the constant flow of cabin staff who made their way to the kitchen area. I understand that the cabin crew are very busy, however I wondered whether the traffic during sleep time could be minimised. I would recommend Cathay Pacific to my friends, and I would also recommend business class.
RouteDublin to Brisbane via Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"it was really a bad option"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Rome. To my surprise, I thought A350 economy seating should be much better Seats space are terrible, not much different than AirAsia seating. The seat reclining angle is also very limited, I can hardly get any eye shut for my 12 hours flight. Inflight entertainment selection really poor as well, not much movies or classic blockbuster available. The flight departed late for more than an hour. Food is just meh.. I thought I made a good choice for choosing Cathay flying their latest aircraft, but it was really a bad option, only good thing out of this flight is a direct flight from China to Rome due to business schedule. From now onwards, I will avoid taking Cathay A350-1000 economy.
AircraftA350-1000
RouteHong Kong to Rome

"food was spectacular"

Not Verified | Hong Kong to Singapore. The food was spectacular! The seats were nicely furnished and they were surprisingly comfortable! I would recommend the airline as they are very kind and they have patience as well with kindness and happiness!
RouteHong Kong to Singapore
Date FlownAugust 2019

"The seats were amazing"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Hong Kong. Amazing service. The premium economy product was faultless. The seats were amazing as was the mini cabin. The food selection was something out of a high end restaurant. Constantly offered drinks and snacks. Will use again without a doubt
RouteManchester to Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"asked me to pay $100 extra"

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Vancouver via Hongkong. I was travelling on a student visa to YVR and I was asked to weigh laptop bag along with my cabin bag and together it should be 7kg. At the check in counter my luggage bag weighed 23.5 x 2, the agent there at the airport counter did not allow 0.5 kg extra weight.They asked me to pay $100 extra to carry this 0.5kg extra. During the heated conversation that I was having with them, they told me that the luggage allowed is purely keeping in mind the safety of the passengers. I would like to ask what happens if I agreed to pay $150 extra and was allowed to carry 32kg extra baggage. I am never recommending this airline.
RouteMumbai to Vancouver via Hongkong
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"A350 is great to fly in"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Booked the trip as far possible out as I could so I think it was value for money compared with other airlines. The A350 being a new aircraft is great to fly in. Best features about the flights Lie flat bed great for me being 6 feet plus, no need to ask a crew member to make the bed up. Managed to sleep quite easily. Crews on all legs, polite, courteous and workmen like (no unnecessary chit chat ) addressed by my name and cabin staff introduced themselves. The privacy of the cabin is excellent. Food - I would say average plus, tried the Beefburger and Chips (It didnt work for me). Minor grumble no additional breads offered any more at the main meal or breakfast and I had to ask for coffee, otherwise I would never get one. Great showers in the Wing at Hong Kong airport. When it runs well Cathy is a very good airline.
AircraftA350 / Boeing 777-300
RouteLondon to Auckland via Hong Kong

"no-frills business product"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Washington DC to Hong Kong. Boarding was done efficiently and we were shown to our seats by cabin crew. The purser came up to introduce herself and happened to be a very chatty Japanese lady who was sweet and helpful. The seat was comfortable but I was surprised by the lack of storage space at sitting level. There was a small storage box at the bottom of the seat and one by the armrest, which I didn't dare use for fear of leaving stuff behind. The flight left on time and we had options of a quick supper or a full meal. I opted for the former and was served a rack of lamb which was beautifully cooked. The accompanying vegetables were overcooked and I was surprised that service comes on a tray instead of being brought out course by course. There was also no dine on demand but there were snack options available throughout the flight. There was no mattress for the seat so that was a minus for me. Otherwise, the pillows were adequate and there was a duvet which I didn't use as I found the cabin too warm. The IFE was good and responsive and we were given good quality headsets. There was a very basic amenity kit provided. The crew were proactive and responded to calls quickly and were always pleasant. There was breakfast before landing which again was served on a tray and there was no spoon provided to stir my coffee! Overall, I like flying Cathay but it pales in comparison to the Business class product of Qatar airways. It was a 'no-frills' business product but then again, the seats were quite comfortable, crew were nice and the plane was clean and brand new.
AircraftA350-1000