Cathay Pacific Airways

"Food and drinks are deteriorating"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Flew Dubai-Hong Kong-Saigon. Started the travel from in transit in DXB 19-20 August 2019 on A330-300 and B777-300 aircrafts. Cathay uses the Lufthansa Lounge in DXB but it only opened 3 hours prior to departure and I had 12 hours in transit. Thus, I used BA’s lounge instead as I am Oneworld elite card holder. BA lounge is much better and lounge staff extremely polite and helpful. Flights on time. Service levels by FAs among the best in the skies. Food and drinks are deteriorating and has absolutely no business glamour: only 3 juices offered, only 2 cheap industrial beers (Carlsberg and San Miguel), no smoothies, no blue cheese. Seat Belt was on for hours without any turbulence – likely a cost saving measure and to allow FA to rest? But the passengers are left in the dark and there is no serving while the seat belt lamps are on. Bad experience. First flight provided a good dinner (3 options). I had seabass and later Japanese Noodle soup as mains. However, breakfast poor and only cold stuff served. Second flight was a morning flight: nice large Chinese Dim Sum breakfast served with lots of different, sophisticated dumplings. Lounges in HKG are very good and I was offered 5 options. IFE is good and clear. Priority boarding. Luggage handled perfectly. Mileage given quickly. Not cheap.
AircraftBoeing 777-300, A330-300
RouteDubai to Saigon via Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2019

"no Cathay Pacific counter"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Hong Kong. On my Palma to Madrid flight with Cathay Pacific, the code share partner Iberia refused to issue me my boarding pass for Madrid to Hong Kong when I checked in in Palma on August 11. I was told to get the boarding pass when I arrived in Madrid, this despite my plea that I had under 1.5 hours transit time. Things got worse when I arrived in Madrid. There was no Cathay Pacific counter in the transit hall, so I approached the Iberia counter to explain I needed my boarding pass to clear immigration in order to catch my flight to Hong Kong. The staff was adamant she could not meet my request as the two code share partners are on different systems. My only way to get the boarding pass was to get out of transit and check in at the Cathay counter. I kept pleading and finally the Iberia staff asked what time was my flight, and when I told her it was taking off in less than an hour, she took out a little notebook, found a number and called a Cathay Pacific line. The instruction from Cathay was to have her manually write down my name and flight number on a piece of paper, stamped with the Iberia company seal and present it to immigration. Her words to me were: "I'm not sure if this works but you will have to try. Now run, there is no time." So I ran as fast as I could. At the immigration check, I was asked where is my boarding pass and all I could produce was the manually written pass. Thankfully, he accepted it, I ran for the shuttle train and made it Terminal 4S where passengers were already queuing to board the plane. I looked for a Cathay Pacific staff in charge of the boarding procedures and explained to her "I need my boarding pass." Thankfully, she understood what I had just went through and quickly had my boarding pass printed. Even the Cathay Pacific staff in Hong Kong airport transit found it incredulous and urged me to ask the airline for an explanation so that it can rectify the issue before other passengers get caught out. I'm not sure if others have experienced similar with a code share partner refusing to issue a boarding pass because the airlines are on different systems. This is a back end matter that should have been settled before tickets are sold. Passengers like myself have paid for the ticket and do not expect to be denied boarding pass because of unresolved back end issues.
RouteMadrid to Hong Kong

"aircraft is too old"

Trip Verified | I travel between HKG and SIN on Cathay Pacific quite often. This is my first time choosing CX650, an early morning flight. The aircraft (A330, 18 years in service) is too old comparing with other flights on the same route. The food is okay but they no longer serve the Haagen Dazs in economy class (as they did a few years ago). I will still fly with Cathay Pacific but I won't choose this flight again unless a different type of aircraft is used.
RouteSingapore to Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2019

" pleasant flight attendant"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Hong Kong in October 2018. Great take off, great landing, good service, pleasant flight attendant, but only sandwich, no choice, and no other menu. Good choice of drink. New aircraft.
RouteJakarta to Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2018

"friendly, polite and helpful"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | Seattle to Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific. The flight departed puctually from Seattle Tacoma Airport. The flight attendants were very friendly, polite and helpful. The meals inflight were delicious However,the seat was a little bit uncomfortable for me as the pillow on the seat was hard but there was a pillow (extra) provided. Anyway, we landed in Hong Kong safely and punctually.
AircraftA350-941
RouteSeattle to Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2019

"will consider Cathay again"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Singapore via Hong Kong. My first experience flying Cathay. Vancouver to Hong Kong leg was a 777-300ER both ways. It's a magnificent airplane and their business class layout makes it better. Cathay lounges at Vancouver, Hong Kong and Singapore were very nice, clean and well decorated. The lounge food options are a bit subpar in all three locations, though. The in-flight service, as well as food, was great. HKG-YVR had amazing Australian beef steak served. Their signature burger is also very tasty. The FAs were attentive, and answered requests promptly. On the YVR-HKG leg, I slept for 7 hours, when I woke up, an FA came by to ask if I needed anything. The only bad sides were a poor selection of movies and tv shows (only 4 episodes of Family Guy for example) and lack of Wifi on their planes, which I found very strange. Great experience overall and will consider Cathay again.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A350 / A330
RouteVancouver to Singapore via Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2019

"the seat was fairly comfortable"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Delhi to Hong Kong. We arrived about 3 hours in advance for our flight just to have some barrier time in case anything goes wrong. Once through our ID check and into the terminals we checked our flight on the board and headed towards check in. There was a lady at the front of most of the cues and checked our boarding pass as we proceeded to the Business class cue. I was quite surprised there was no first class on this flight as I couldn’t see any such check in counter. Normally on a 777 they do have one. Queue was fairly short and efficient. Our baggage got tagged “priority” and we were given our boarding passes. Once exiting check in we headed to a first class and business class security and immigration lane which is meant to “fast track” premium passengers. CX use the Plaza Premium lounge here at Delhi and we took the lift to the concourse and entered in. Lounge was pretty crowded but still comfortable if your not to picky. Onboard the seat was fairly comfortable and had a decent privacy divider and ample storage space. The amenity kit had all the amenities you could need. I’m pretty happy CX provided two blankets and which were very comfortable. I was given a hot towel. CX use StudioX for there IFE and there was a decent amount of movies and Tv shows. After a movie I decided to order one of their steak options which was pretty disappointing. I left it and was gonna go with the biryani but was full. I decided to get some shut eye, the bed could go fully flat and was pretty comfortable.
RouteDelhi to Hong Kong
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Food really tasty"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | Gatwick to Hong Kong. Im a CX gold card and lounge access at BA given. Boarding fast, lovely welcome, seat in PE great, loads of space. Food really tasty, snacks, noodles delivered quickly. Captain informative and after slight delay, we arrived on time. Crew are good, a lot is expected of them and they deliver. Big negative is new 'print off your ticket and bag tags' procedure. Its not that clear how.
RouteGatwick to Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2019

"most disappointed in Premium Economy"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | My husband and I flew from London to Hong Kong using Cathay Pacific We were most disappointed in the Premium Economy seats. Our seating was at the back of the section actually in the economy cabin with a curtain drawn only after dark between us and the front row of Economy by using an angled curtain. The flight was uncomfortable because the leg rest would not fold back under the seat properly and the footplate which is minimal spun around so it was difficult to keep the feet on straight footplates. Staff did their work pleasantly but were not in evidence after the meal was served. One had to locate a remote control for being able to call a staff member and the remote control was not immediately evident being by one's thigh so it proved difficult or impossible to get staff attention without this knowledge. As a concession to Premium Economy, a fancy printed menu was received for the meal but when the meal arrived not only were they out of most options but the grey sludge which appeared as the remaining fish dish was most unappetising. As I was next to the economy passengers there appeared no difference between the meals in each cabin although I think there must have been some slight difference. Premium Economy is that only in name in Cathay Pacific. There was minimal extra room between seats and it was very difficult for the person on the window to climb over the person on the aisle to go to the toilet. We had also done the Hong Kong London sector going and the comments are the same. Premium Economy is Economy with a new name - I would not waste my money again.
RouteLondon to Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2019

"the service was unhelpful"

Trip Verified | Adelaide to London via Hong Kong. After paying almost double the cost of economy I believed premium economy would just be a little better all round, not so, the seating was a little better but the service was unhelpful. By the time economy had been served the choices of courses were reduced from three to one, there was no brandy and and only one choice of wine and no champagne on boarding as offered on your website. Items on the menu were not available, and at no time did the crew approach me for drinks or snacks. I'm hoping the return flight to Adelaide on 9th August has improved.
RouteAdelaide to London via Hong kong