Cathay Pacific Airways

"an amazing experience was truly long gone"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | I haven't been flying with Cathay Pacific for over 8 years, so I thought I'd give them a try again, this time on the brand new A350 premium economy. CX uses Changi T4, which is a very modern and chic terminal, in comparison to T1 and T2. It was very impressive from check in counters, the super modern immigration and interior design. Boarding was orderly and departure on time. The A350 is truly a modern aircraft, it's noticeably quieter and up to date technologies available throughout the aircraft such as wifi, touch screen TV etc. The PE sets are laid out in 2x4x2, and is relatively more spacious with ample leg room and good seat pitch. In terms of hardware, CX did very well this time. Software wise (food and service), it was rather mediocre. Crew did not look welcoming, nor happy to be there. It was streets behind their competitor on this same route Singapore airlines. For PE, we are served economy class meal, portion are noticeably smaller than many years ago, plastic cutlery, no salt, pepper sachet and toothpicks provided, it's by request only, all scream to me big cost-cutting. Presentation, portion and taste of food was rather bland, at least we were offered a cup of Hagen Diaz ice cream to finish off the meal. The load was very full, crew were efficient to go through their duties, but there's no charm or smile at all. The good old days when flying with CX was an amazing experience was truly long gone. I bought this one way ticket last minute at a much cheaper rate than SQ. Had I prepared more ahead of time, it's back to Singapore airlines for me.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSingapore to Hong Kong

"disappointed, disillusioned"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Newark. Almost everything was wrong with my business class flight. Hard product, seat and IFE were excellent. Ground staff were disinterested. Flight crew were robotic, unsmiling and inefficient. The flight left at 6:30 pm ,yet there was no cocktail/drink service. 10 minutes after seatbelt sign went off a tray of lettuce and unappealing prociutto was put in front of me cafeteria style (supposedly this flight had new CX meal service but it did not). I asked for a drink which elicited "then you are not joining us for dinner?", the drink was served, no napkin, no coaster. Nothing was pro-active at any time. I had to asked for second drink, I had to ask to get entree altho I should not have bothered) which was not even up to coach standards- and no salt or pepper which requires a special request now on CX as it is not served with any of their meals. Dinner service was over 1 hr after flight departed - crew disappeared,no water, drinks, snacks left out in galley - I was told that they do not do that because turbulence could cause it to fall. I have never heard of this. I had to get up several times to ask for water. Bathrooms were shockingly not kept clean and were already barely equipped with amenities. At no time was debris cleared from my seat area - I actually had to bring it to galley. The flight was only 40% full and yet everything was a huge burden on the business class FA's who made no attempt to address me by name. Cathay has rolled over and given up. I would never waste miles or money on this service again, 100% disappointed, disillusioned and truly shocked at what they passed off as tranPacific Business class.
AircraftA350-900
RouteHong Kong to Newark

"offered nothing memorable"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to New York JFK. I boarded the second leg of the flight that had originated in Hong Kong. Despite inclement weather across much of the northern part of the continent, the aircraft arrived on time in Vancouver and pushed back on schedule. However, because of the need to de-ice the aircraft, take off was delayed and we reached New York nearly 45 minutes late. This was an overnight flight. Basic in-flight service was provided. A supper with three options was served at about at midnight, soon after take off. I had no appetite and passed on the meal. Before landing early in the morning, nothing was served, no water, juice or coffee. It would seem that given the timings of the flight, most people would have boarded having had dinner and even continuing passengers from Hong Kong could have been fed before landing in Vancouver. Best if they offered light, late night snacks and served a very light breakfast instead. The seat was okay, the flight attendants attentive, the airplane reasonably tidy. A flight attendant briskly walked down the aisle once holding the duty free catalog but with no expectation of sales and neither did they occur! I should also point out that passengers on this flight to the U.S. are not pre-cleared by US immigration and customs unlike other flights. The Cathay Pacific flight departs from D concourse and because of the lateness of the hour, the convenience of pre-clearance is not available for this flight. I printed out my boarding pass from a machine in the main departure hall. In short, I was glad it was a non-stop flight but in-flight service offered nothing memorable.
RouteVancouver to New York JFK

"want a partial refund"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Adelaide to Chiang Mai via Hong Kong. When arriving at the airport the boarding pass ticketing machine would not give me a pass so a supervisor tried to help me, but couldn't get it to work either. After a fifteen minute delay I was informed that I could not fly seeing I did not have a visa to Thailand. I told her that flying on a European passport, you don't need a visa. She went to check this and , after around another fifteen minutes, told me that I was right but still could not fly seeing I did not have a return ticket. I showed her my travel agents confirmation letter of my booking and she went away to check this only to return twenty minutes later to tell me that they had found it. Then off to the check in counter to pay for my extra baggage, twelve kg in all. I was told that this would be AUS$646. I pointed out that the website states: twelve dollars per kg. They told me that this was only if you pre booked it but myself had tried to do this, my travel agent tried even the Cathay Pacific rep tried but we simply could not do this over the internet. It also states on the CP website: Take more with you for a modest fee and Pre- paid extra lugage enjoy a 20% discount. Now I thought $12 per kg is modest but USD 40 over the top. I was told they could help me, I asked how?, and was told leave some baggage here. Of course this was not possible I needed my lugage. After a long discussion I simply gave up and paid. On my arrival in Chiang Mai I found the carousel littered with my goods, the suitcase had been torn. The airport staff helped me gathering my belongings and I went to report this. I was assured they would try to fix it and yes, after a seven week wait, it was fixed. I contacted Cathay Pacific and they offered me a one hundred dollar voucher as a gesture of their goodwill - I am not happy and want a partial refund.
RouteAdelaide to Chiang Mai via Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Disgraceful service attitude"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Sydney. Disgraceful service attitude and total lack of quality customer focus. Website and App had several broken links. Logins required several attempts to register and even then required re-logins midway. Was only able to select seat 48 hours before takeoff unless willing to pay unrealistic markups on specially reserved seats. Overtly complex categorisation of seats which really seemed like unfocused experimental marketing than of real benefit. Ground service equally over categorised into not checked, checked but no boarding pass and then bag drop. At the gate there was no phone charge socket nor seating so again I had to sit at another gate further up. Onboard I had to put my bag into a compartment several rows ahead of my designated slot due to bad design. There was only a single usb for phone charging and it had a loose connection. My seat also felt like it was not screwed on right. I found plastic wrapper and used chocolates tucked into my seat pocket. The crew was most unwelcome not a single smile and very poor communication skills and quite pushy. Very little information provided in the moving map. Food quality and quantity was poor and was wrapped in excessive amounts of wasteful plastic which even then was not enough to stop it from leaking. Boring magazine offered and no good music. Food and beverages were tightly rationed and service stopped some 2 hours before landing. It took 10 minutes on one occasion before the fasten seat belt sign went on for turbulence. Once landing it took them 10 minutes to turn the lights on so people could see. Flight arrived late. Bags even later and were covered in scratches. The only time the cabin crew were seen to be quick was when they were collecting their bags from the carousel.
RouteHong Kong to Sydney

"Flight attendants efficient"

Trip Verified | Cathay Pacific operates this once a day flight between Hong Kong and JFK New York with a stopover in Vancouver. This is the only non-stop service on this route. This being a true long-haul flight, the plane is designed to travel all the way to HKG. Twin aisles. 3-3-3 seating, lots of in-cabin baggage space, very large collection of films and other entrainment on the personal TV screens, sufficient leg space, pillows and blankets, and complimentary food and alcoholic beverages with a menu card. And there was duty free shopping! No North American carrier matches this level of offering on this route. The fares are very competitive. On my flight, there were lots of empty seats and attendants encouraged us to move to empty rows to stretch out for some winks. A dinner was served with three entree choices including a vegetarian dish. The food was basic - unmemorable. Cabin lights were turned off for this late night flight. Cabin was kept clean. Flight attendants efficient. English announcements by lead in-flight crew was difficult to understand because of accent. The departure was delayed because of late arrival of inbound aircraft. Initial gate assigned was changed from one concourse to another. Public information displays did not reflect changed times and gates causing customers to scramble from one end to another. New departure time was also not updated. These indifferent ground services indicated a callous disregard for the satisfaction of the customers. I ended up visiting three different gates.
RouteNew York JFK to Vancouver
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"flight was smooth and enjoyable"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Kaohsiung to London via Hong Kong. The plane was delayed because of a connecting flight but, I really liked the service. The staff were awesome and super friendly even though I could tell they were a little stressed because of the volume of people failing to observe safety protocols. The selection of food was awesome and the flight was smooth and enjoyable!
RouteKaohsiung to London via Hong Kong

"a pleasure to fly"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Hong Kong. First time flying with Cathay Pacific. My flight was 30 minutes delayed and was longer than expected because of strong wind in the south of Fuji mountain. We have been notified about the delay few minutes before embarquement and also in the plane. The seats were really comfortable and large, I even thought I was in premium economy. Food was good but nothing exceptional. Ground staff and inflight staff are really professional, smiling and friendly. It was a pleasure to fly with Cathay Pacific.
RouteTokyo to Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"how far standards have dropped"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Jakarta via Hong Kong. I always held Cathay in high regard as one of the world's premier airlines. I have flown with them on 4 occasions in the past 2 years and have been satisfied, however on my trip last week I was quite shocked by how far standards have dropped. The main thing that stood out for me was just how cold and rude the cabin crew were. All service was robotic. On the Cape Town - Hong Kong sector one of the flight attendants barked orders to a passenger and then made sarcastic comments under his breath as the passenger moved away. Later in the flight the same crew member could be heard mumbling after a passenger asked for water in the middle of the flight. Part of the problem here is that the crew made zero drinks runs during the 13 hour flight apart from those served with the meals. Obviously this will increase the number of passenger requests for drinks. When I went to the rear galley at the halfway point of the flight to ask for noodles (offered on the menu as a mid flight snack) this same flight attendant told me to "ask someone else because I am going to rest now." On the Hong Kong - Jakarta flight (4 hours 30 flight, so no shortage of time for a single meal service) the crew were in such a hurry to get the meal service done that they were not offering the passengers a meal choice. They just said - "you will have option X, OK?" I just said yes because I was so startled by the rudeness. Unfortunately I have to fly Cathay Denpasar - Hong Kong - Johannesburg again next month, but that will be the last time for sure.
AircraftA350 / A330
RouteCape Town to Jakarta via Hong Kong

"missed connecting flights"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Los Angeles. The worst travel experience we ever had. Our flight was delayed and missed connecting flights. So, we had to go through several transits prior to the final destination. They mishandled luggages and we got them after 2 days. At the moment we’re on our way back to LAX and the flights are delayed for hours upon hours. I won’t recommend this airline for anyone. Please avoid this airline. Will never fly with Cathay again.
RouteHong Kong to Los Angeles