Cathay Pacific Airways

"Would never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Flew on Dec 27 2022 from Toronto to Sydney to attend a wedding of my nephew. My wife's bag didn't arrive, and Cathay couldn't locate it. A friend of us works in Melbourne airport located the bag in Honk Kong a week after our arrival. It took them another week to get to Sydney. We never got the bag in Australia until we left on Jan 20 2023. The whole vacation got ruined, couldn't reach out to any help line number provided for us. We were left with zero help. The bag finally arrived to our address in Canada on Jan 27 2023! Exactly after one month lost between airports. Cathey Pacific didn't call or provide apology or a compensation according to the rules of the IATA! Nothing at all, we had to scrap our return tickets, buy a new one with Air Canada. Would never fly with them again.
RouteToronto to Sydney via Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2022

"worse after the pandemic"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Cathay Pacific had gotten worse after the pandemic. This is the first time after 3 years i flew with them. Bad and rude service from the stewardess. Airplane food taste is bland from the main dish and I can only eat the bread and butter and fruits. I bought a new suitcase just to see it extensively damaged upon my return flight. Any effort to make a claim to Cathay. They completely ignore my emails, calls and direct contact. From direct contact, they will say to follow up on this, but still 2 weeks later still no update.
RouteTokyo to Jakarta via Hongkong

"no legroom at all"

(China)

Trip Verified | Plane appeared to be brand new, however very cramped seats, no legroom at all. Thank god only 2 hour flights as very uncomfortable. Food was a packed lunch box, Service was good and Brisk, Entertainment was good.
AircraftA321-Neo
RouteHong Kong to Nanjing
Date FlownFebruary 2023

"service and seats were good"

(China)

Trip Verified | Fully packed plane, but service and seats were good on this sector. Food was okish, I would not say great, but ok. In flight entertainment was good. Plane was on time. Oldish 330 but comfortable
AircraftA330-300
RouteNanjing to Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"a huge step above the economy class seats"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | Hong Kong's strict quarantine procedure has been lifted and flights between Hong Kong and America are resuming gradually, so me and my family decided to fly to New York for vacation. Cathay Pacific was extremely thorough with its check-in procedures. At the beginning, all passengers will have to line up to have their body temperature checked before being able to get into one of the baggage check-in isles. I was flying premium economy and I had to stay with the economy class line. Fortunately thanks to the world class efficiency of the Cathay Pacific baggage check-in staffs, I did not have to wait too turn to have my turn. Check-in staff has kindly asked to check all my identifications and itinerary. Despite I was flying premium economy class, I was able to access and enjoy the Cathay Lounge in Hong Kong with my credit card. The lounge is simply top notch. Boarding was on schedule. There was a slight but acceptable waiting time at the taxiway due to the traffic. The flight was operated with a B777-300 with 34 seats in premium economy class configured 2x4x2. Half of the seats were occupied. On boarding I was offered a drink and asked for the specifically non-alcoholic mixed drink that Cathay Pacific always offers. In addition to that, the cabin crew also offered me a hot towel to clean up my hands before enjoying the welcome drink and all the facilities around my seat. A care kit was at each seat with a disposable mask and a few sheets of antiseptic wipes. The Cathay Pacific premium economy class seats are quite well designed to take advantage of the available space. It was surprisingly comfortable and a huge step above the economy class seats. For those who want a little more seat comfort, you should pay the extra bucks for upgrading to the premium economy seats! I have been flying Cathay Pacific for many years and I have seen the ranking of Cathay Pacific has been dropping significantly and people were talking about the deterioration of the service and cabin quality as opposed to other Asian airline counterparts. It was sad to hear because my satisfactory experience with Cathay Pacific has always been consistent and I don't notice any deterioration of the service and cabin quality. Cathay Pacific definitely deserves better. Last but not least, I recommend everyone to fly with Cathay Pacific Airways, whether long haul or short haul flight. I'm sure you will enjoy single moment of it. Thank you!
RouteHong Kong to New York
Date FlownFebruary 2023

"This was an appalling experience"

Trip Verified | This was an appalling experience. We were on a code share flight, starting in Auckland with an Air New Zealand flight to Hong Kong. We travelled business class and the Air NZ service was exemplary. By contrast, the Cathay cabin crew were a shambles and gave no customer service. They stood around with a tray of drinks as we boarded but did not offer them. The menu was disappointing and the cabin crew so badly organised that it took ages for them to serve the food. I chose fish which was fairly revolting. My wife opted for the vegetarian dish which arrived half an hour after everybody else had been served and was inedible. There was no attempt to see if we were ok or wanted another drink or coffee. I gave my breakfast order before going to sleep. My wife was not asked for her order with the result that they claimed not to have her choice (they later managed to find it). I was served the wrong breakfast and again had to ask for everything - more coffee etc. The crew seemed completely disinterested in their passengers. On a 14 hour flight the restrooms became insanitary but the crew paid no attention to them until we asked for them to be cleaned. The lack of service would have been unsatisfactory in economy class; it was unacceptable for business class.
RouteHong Kong to London
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"Still a reliable airline"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | The online side of CX is still very slick and easy to use. Lounge at HK gate 40 has a good food and drink selection. Boarding smooth. As its a late departure a rather odd choice of food on offer and a bit of a rushed feel to the service. Some items like salt and pepper had to be asked for. Drinks flowing, Riesling is excellent. Return was again a late flight. Lounge at LAX is huge but food offering dismal. Really cheap looking. CX need to look into this. I wouldn't rush there. Boarding all good and the kind staff found an item I had left at check in- thank you !! Food choices better and service good. Seat set up is great, everything technically perfect. Lovely breakfast and asked for champagne with- no problem! Arrived an hour early. Airport back to normal finally and home by 0745am. People complaining about minor things on CX need to try flying B class in Europe and South America. Still a reliable airline.
RouteHong Kong to Los Angeles

"most ridiculous service"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Most ridiculous service, cant even check in online because of their tie up with air new Zealand doesn't allow to do so. Will never book with them again
RouteAuckland to Delhi via Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2022

"the overall experience was very poor"

Not Verified | Apart from a very kind, helpful and polite cabin crew, the overall experience was very poor. The seats were very uncomfortable and rows too tight. The food was about the worse I have ever had on a long flight. No night set, no basic hygiene kit. A lot to improve compare to the top notch companies like Qatar Airways, Emirates, Etihad, Singapore Airlines, ANA, etc. Although the entertainment offer was satisfying, the screen was really slow.
RouteZurich to Manila via Hong Kong

"Worst customer service"

Not Verified | Worst customer service I have ever had. Cathay Pacific customer service creates made me lose more than 30000 Asia miles. They didn’t have a proper office even in Hong Kong. They only have the customs service centre which makes you wait for more than an hour to respond to your enquiry. They provide WhatsApp customer service which takes so long to respond and you change so many agent for a simple enquiry. (Normally 4-5 days for a simple enquiry). They promise Asian refund over booking cancellation but when you rebook they took no responsibility with the refund. They had my chat details through WhatsApp chat proofing the return of the mileage confirmed by staff and they simply apologised for their mistake and took no action. I don’t know what they are focusing on Cathay Pacific at the moment. Won’t consider to travel with them.
RouteHong Kong to Melbourne