Cathay Dragon

"Great journey"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong. Great journey. The captain finished my fight log sincerely and the cabin crew offered me some nice goodies, including chocolate for C class passengers. Email that the flight would delay was delivered to us half a day in advance, what a good assistance!
RouteKuala Lumpur to Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"their regional project needs work"

Trip Verified | I've been flying Cathay Dragon for decades now (i.e. even when they were their own airline as Dragonair). They are seen as a regional carrier, and it is definitely reflected in the choice of aircraft, and the significantly less elaborate in-flight service, despite similar prices to Cathay Pacific whenever both airlines fly the same route. On my flight to Siem Reap, I was pleasantly surprised to see a significant increase in proper jet bridge boarding whenever airports offered this - a welcome change to airstairs, and it is nice that they have a "wifi" device IFE streaming service onboard, but like United, it annoyingly requires you to download their studio KA app, something you will have to do before boarding the plane. That being said, the selection of movies and shows onboard was decent. Seats are fine, but I found the seatback pocket somewhat crowded with their own materials (safety cards, in-flight magazines, etc.) to the point that it was difficult to fit anything inside of it. It made me think of other airlines and their shorthaul economy classes, and how they actually give a separate plastic compartment near the top of the seatback. Seeing as I haven't flown on the Cathay Dragon A320 for a while, I was pleased to see the new seats, and the fully refurbished cabins, which made the decade-old planes look new and clean, though I'd also note that the seats are narrower than they were during the Dragonair era. Food onboard is fine, but beverage service is lacking, with only coffee, tea and water as their only options - the coffee infuriatingly was bland and plasticky - it made me wonder if Cathay- one of the world's top airlines could do what most airlines have already been doing and partner up with a decent coffee chain - to name a few examples, United has Illy's, Alaska has Seattle's Best. I will continue to fly Cathay Dragon, because it's a very stable airline and one that I can count on to get me where I need to be in a timely fashion. That being said, their regional project needs work. US carriers have been catching up quite quickly, and while they'll never compete with Cathay Dragon for their routes, it likely unnerves Cathay that their cabin service is now comparable to that of North American carriers.
RouteHong Kong to Siem Reap

"the catering was nice"

(China)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur. Felt a bit uneasy due to the late arrival of transit passengers, without IFE functioning. But the catering was nice especially the cookies. After handing out my flight log, the cabin crews designated the two pages well plus offering me some goodies to complete my journey to the best.
RouteHong Kong to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"cabin crew were splendid"

(China)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Hong Kong. Nice catering with my favorite ice cream. The service provided by cabin crew were splendid. After knowing my Mainland Chinese identity, they would like to speak Mandarin, even if a bit hard for them.
RouteShanghai to Hong Kong

"I was very impressed"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Chiang Mai to Hong Kong. This was the first time choosing this company and it was just great. Everything was efficient since I entered the airport. Staff was warm welcoming and helpful. The seat was not the best but still comfy enough. Food was great bearing in mind it was a short haul. Nice presentation of the food. On the way from Hong Kong our plane broke so we had to wait for another one. However the staff took care of us very efficiently. I was very impressed and will fly with them again if possible.
RouteChiang Mai to Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2018

"crew was exceptionally efficient"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | The flight from Hong Kong to Taipei was eventually operated by Cathay Pacific plane and staff, though it used to be a Cathay Dragon flight. They used long haul business cabin to operate the flight, with flat bed and fancy entertainment system. Hot dinner was served in the ultra short flight, with dessert and also appetiser. The crew was exceptionally efficient. However, the boarding was quite confusing.
AircraftBoeing 777-300Er
RouteHong Kong to Taipei
Date FlownOctober 2018

"experience very high marks"

Trip Verified | Aircraft appeared to be very new. On time boarding through jet bridge but take off delayed by over 30 minutes because of technical faults. Cockpit crew kept passengers informed. Business class cabin consists of 8 seats in 2 rows of 2 x2 configuration. Standard business class seat with good recline and extended foot rest. iPad provided which had a smaller collection of items than on offer at Cathay Pacific. An amenities kit similar to Cathay Pacific was provided. Smooth flight. Quiet cabin. Only five of 8 seats taken. Attentive flight attendant. Announcements made in Bangla in deference to the destination and the flying clientele - nice thoughtful touch that truly made you feel you were going home! A menu card listing three entree choices was provided. It was a tasty meal accompanied by a choice of wines. The dishes had a noticeable Indian slant. I enjoyed my vegetarian choice. The dessert was a small tub of Haagen Daaz ice cream - something that has not changed in six years. The ice cream is usually rock solid; flight attendant cheerfully thawed it on request! It was a quiet, flight late late at night. Duty free shopping is available and I was able to get a few items I wanted. Landing cards were provided. The lavatory was clean throughout. Being in the forward cabin, we were the first to disembark. Although 30 minutes late because of delayed departure, I give this flying experience very high marks.
AircraftAirbus 320
RouteHong Kong to Kolkata
Date FlownOctober 2018

"still room for improvement"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | This is the 2nd leg of my journey in November 2017 having arrived from Seoul. I had to re check in again despite that previous flight was on Cathay Pacific CX415. Hong Kong to Kota Kinabalu on A320-200 vin a 2 class layout cabin, the seat has been refurbished with the thinner seat. The new seat are not equipped with personal IFE- IFE is only possible by downloading KA studio into mobile device. Hot meal and beverages were provided. The standard of the in flight catering is fine though there are still room for improvement. Based on my flying experience with Cathay Dragon, the portion of the meal tray has been reduced.
AircraftA320-200
RouteHong Kong to Kota Kinabalu
Date FlownNovember 2017

"catering is slightly below my expectation"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur in January 2018. Queue was short and check in process quick. A330-300 parked at the remote parking bay whereby transfer was done by airport bus. The cabin crew welcomed me upon on boarding. My seat no 23H is located at the 1st section of the economy class. This aircraft is equipped with the newer version of IFE with HD screen and 3D flight path. Considering this is a 3 hours 55 mins flight, the quality of the in flight catering is slightly below my expectation. The airline has reduced the number of portion on the meal tray in the last 2 years. Cabin crew are courteous and attentive but less friendly compare to some major airlines in China. I find that the crew are being very passionate and alert when I requested for a comment form after meal and the senior flight attendant immediately came to check if anything was wrong which they can improve on. To conclude, the overall flight journey is still an impressive one.
RouteHong Kong to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"memorable and pleasant"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Kota Kinabalu to Hong Kong in December 2017. A320-200 was refurbished with new seat is configured into 2 class cabin. Boarding process was smooth. I was welcomed by cabin crew as I boarded. The flight departed on time. Lunch was served soon after take off, a hot meal and cold beverages. In my opinion, the inflight catering can be further enhanced as the meal portion has been reduced in the past 2 years. To conclude, the flight was a memorable and pleasant one.
AircraftA320-200