Cathay Dragon

"Please sort it out Cathay"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Cathay services have, like most airlines got worse as efforts to cut costs and remain competitive mean a slip in food quality, cancellations, code sharing, crammed flights etc. and the food quality has dropped markedly in addition to their reliability. However, I would still say that on this particular route they are still the best airline (not much of an accolade as all the other airlines are budget/Chinese). I have travelled this route (Hong Kong to Shanghai) almost every weekend for over a year and have been a regular user of Cathay for over 15 years. One thing that has caused immense inconvenience and in my opinion negates any advantages of this airline is that most flights, upon landing is to taxi the furthest gate. The gate is so far away that it takes 25 minutes to drive the plane there after landing. Due to the remoteness a bus is used so takes a good 40 minutes to get to the terminal building. This is a super cheap ‘gate’ that is used almost exclusively by Cathay (occasionally other budget airlines if their gates are being used. Their insistence on using this gate creates delays and often hours in a holding pattern until the spot clears. I understand the needs for economies to be made but surely a strategy that creates so much hassle and late arrivals could be replaced with something else? I wish they would just remove in-fight entertainment and get a decent slot! Friends I have who are cabin crew are miserable and report that moral is very low within the organization because of constant complaints and dissatisfaction from passengers. Not having a movie on a 2 hour flight is much less hassle than catching the same flight every Friday for almost a year and all but one being 1-3 hours late. Please sort it out Cathay I can’t keep sucking up this disregard for passengers for much longer, even the pilots are annoyed!
RouteHong Kong to Shanghai
Date FlownJune 2019

"seats are comfortable"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Zhengzhou. This is the first time for me to travel with Cathay Dragon. Overall, I think that this flight to Zhengzhou is satisfying and it basically meets with the quality that the Cathay Group provides. The cabin staff are nice and the seats are comfortable. As for the food and beverage, I think they are satisfactory, not too bad but not too tasty, the Häagen-Dazs ice cream is probably the food that I appreciated the most. The only thing that I want to criticize is that no in-flight entertainment is installed on the A320 fleet of Cathay Dragon, passengers need to download the KA Studio app in order to enjoy their in-flight entertainment. However even though I have downloaded the app in prior, it still requires me to download patches after getting on the plane, and I could not figure out how to use it, therefore the only thing I could do with the app is looking at the flight map, which is quite disappointing for such a world-class airline.
AircraftA320-200
RouteHong Kong to Zhengzhou
Date FlownMay 2019

"smooth and flexible service"

(China)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Hong Kong. The flight delayed about 70min due to air traffic control at HKIA and process out of order allocating boarding gates at Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport. But the crews tried to provide a smooth and flexible service. The meals,to be sure, were not enough when it comes to the portion,even as refreshment, and the chicken noodles looked less tasty (but after all tasted well). Due to turbulence on air, the service operated a bit slowly but enough.
RouteShanghai to Hong Kong

"has been downgraded"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Cathay flight from Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong, which used to operate by Cathay Pacific, has been downgraded after taken over by Cathay Dragon. The overall service was not the Cathay shall have, perhaps this is because it is still a Cathay Dragon flight, not Cathay Pacific in reality. (Is it means that we cannot anticipate the same quality of services even it was claimed under same group?) I do not sure how serious Cathay group is treating this route, maybe you have already downgrading as it is not important to you, but as a frequently flyer between these two cities and cities within China mainland, I shall not try again or recommend to my colleague or overseas partners. KA730 on 19 April, there was NO welcoming drink even a cup of water was requested twice before I was attended (water was asked 10 mins after seat belt sign was switched off which is reasonably fulfilled safety requirements). Wine is no more an option for meal, only on request and only served when asked twice for my second cup, was attended. I can strongly feel the flight attendant was not happy/willing to serve the passengers as they were leaving/walking so fast to avoid further requests. Meal was standard, but without hot tea! I felt uncomfortable as air-con was not strong enough. In my return flight on 26 April (KA727), it was another unpleasant experience with KA. Flight was delayed. I was informed at the HK airport, without knowing reason. I felt fine as I was too early (5pm) to be known, even when a friendly staff at the airport counter was politely asked me to check with the gate for details. I do understand there is always an unexpected or inevitable reason of flight delay, but nobody can tell us what was happened, including staff at the gate. They were not even looking at their customer who was asking for details and kept instructing me to be waited. No answer was given, including the captain and the flight attendant manager, no apology, no info about the delay, they just treated as delay was not happened! The worst part was, when I was trying to use the headset, I found out that the plastic package was opened, and a hair was attached on it! The flight attendant was not felt sorry, and just dragged the headset from me and looked at me, until I asked if I can have a replacement.
Date FlownApril 2019

"still a satisfying flight"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Hong Kong. This flight is still a satisfying flight, with friendly flight attendants, and fine seats. The food on the plane is not that good on this flight. A small size dish with small size rice. The rice is actually too cold to make itself hard again. The USB adaptor is bad which doesn't allow you to charge your phone properly.
AircraftA330-300
RouteShanghai to Hong Kong

"trip is actually nice"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Shanghai PVG. The trip is actually nice. Flight crews are friendly and nice. The seats are comfortable but the space between each row is quite small, which doesn't allow me to have enough space to stretch myself. There are a lot of movies on the plane, but not quite up to date. About the meal, The rice there is hard, but the other is actually ok, acceptable.
AircraftA330-300
RouteHong Kong to Shanghai PVG

"Very poor service"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Hangzhou. Very poor service with no clear explanation for flight delay. This airline always delays one flight with fewer customers in order not to delay other flights with more customers. For example, the flight from Hong Kong to Hangzhou (Flight number KA622) is frequently delayed for 3-4 hours due to airline’s poor operations of flight schedules but not because of weather conditions.
RouteHong Kong to Hangzhou
Date FlownApril 2019

"had a good trip with them"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Cathay Dragon does the only direct flights to Penang from Hong Kong, which is code shared with MH. 2 flights a day using the older A330, but with updated interior and AVOD system. Boarding in Hong Kong is orderly, service is friendly and warm, majority of the crew are ladies. Catering however, is a little below average due to severe cost cutting, portion is very small and taste is bland. For some reasons, catering on the return sector, prepared by Malaysian kitchen tasted slightly better. Seats are ok, 2-4-2 is 8 across, giving slightly more room, it's rare nowadays. Cathay Dragon and Cathay Pacific now shares the same AVOD system, which means there are plenty of choices for films and music etc. My Sapphire status earned me a visit to the newly renovated Cathay Pacific lounge in Penang, this is a very nice lounge, compare to the other Plaza premium lounge. My bags arrived quickly on both legs, all in all I had a good trip with them.
RouteHong Kong to Penang

"planes are really old"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong. These planes are really old. not the first time taking Cathay Dragon flight from KL to Cathay, but discovered that most of the A330 are more than 20 years old, most probably these planes are passing on from Cathay Pacific. Food was just so so, no wine or blanket was offered. The cabin service is fine, no complain. I just wish Cathay Dragon should consider getting new planes to operate.

"Great journey"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong. Great journey. The captain finished my fight log sincerely and the cabin crew offered me some nice goodies, including chocolate for C class passengers. Email that the flight would delay was delivered to us half a day in advance, what a good assistance!
Date FlownJanuary 2019