Cambodia Angkor Air

"Avoid this airline"

Trip Verified | Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh city. We purchased our baggage online through their website in advance. When we got to the check in counter we where told we needed to pay for our baggage. I showed them the receipt confirming purchase. Was told it wasn’t on the system & we would have to pay cash at double the rate. The staff were extremely rude & refused to help us saying it was a Sunday & there was nobody else could be contacted. Awful experience. Our flight on the way was cancelled without warning we were put on the next flight 3.5 hours later. Avoid this airline.
RouteSiem Reap to Ho Chi Minh city
Date FlownNovember 2019

"worst experience I’ve ever had"

Not Verified | Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh. The worst experience I’ve ever had with an airline and we didn’t even get on the plane. Customer service is nonexistent and their website is all over the place, giving different and incorrect information. After reading reviews from countless others that had issues with baggage weight we made every attempt to be prepared for any problems we might encounter. We made numerous attempts to call their main customer service number listed on the website only to find that the calls fail and don’t even go through. After finally getting in touch with someone at the Vietnam branch we were told to send an email which we did never received a response to before our flight. Their website specifically says you may call to upgrade extra baggage weight or do it online or in person from the office inside HCM airport. Upon checking the website link we saw that there was no option to upgrade weight for checked bags, only buy additional baggage starting at ~$60 USD or upgrade cabin baggage weight, so we visited the office at HCM airport 2 days prior to our traveling date, and were told that the service could only be done online. The agent was extremely dismissive, and made no effort to look into it or help us any further. He did tell us that we could go through a third party website called Option Town to upgrade the baggage at a cheaper price, however on the day of our flight we presented the receipt and confirmation email from Option Town for the upgraded baggage, only to be told that what we paid for was simply a request and that they would not honor it. We asked to speak to a supervisor and they basically said no. They didn’t even have their own Cambodia Angkor Air agents working at the counter, instead they had 2 girls from Vietnam Airlines taking care of everything and they barely seemed like they knew what they were doing. We were also the first ones in line and noticed that the people next to us as well as behind us were all also having some kind of their own issues with their travels. We’ve flown all over the world and have never dealt with a company that exploits its passengers in such an outrageous way. The fact that they allow their agents to give false information to customers to get them to funnel money through some random company that the airline is not even affiliated with is literally fraud. Honestly don’t know what kind of business they are running or how they are even still in operation with the level of unprofessionalism they displayed.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh
Date FlownJuly 2019

"An unprofessional airline"

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh. An unprofessional airline who charges extortionate costs for check in baggage. We booked our flights from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh under the assumption that check in baggage was included as it appeared that it was included on their website (we read the policy). When we checked in at the airport, we were told that we had to pay 65 USD each to check in our bags which were less than 15kg. This meant that the cost of our tickets basically doubled. There's a lack of clarity and transparency on their website. Beware when booking with them!!! The plane itself was very old. I would not recommend booking with them.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh
Date FlownMay 2019

"Abysmal customer service"

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh. By far the rudest most disrespectful customer service I have ever faced. First, they weigh your cabin bag because of a 7kg weight limit which they charge you $20 if you go above even in the slightest. They required me to pay them exclusively in dollars. I went to get the money from a Currency Exchange. The airline staff refused my $20 bill because it looked ‘too old’. They accepted I pay in Dong. I did not have change so gave them 500,000 Dongs which they refused to give me change for. This is stealing. Abysmal customer service. I will never fly with Cambodia Angkor Air again.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Phnom Penh
Date FlownMay 2019

"suitcase had been badly damaged"

Not Verified | Flew from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville with Cambodia Angkor Air - no problem with check in or flights but discovered after we arrived at our destination that my suitcase had been badly damaged. Numerous emails to the Airline help desk has been extremely frustrating and totally unsatisfactory! The latest claim being that it is not the airlines fault but the airport’s responsibility? I pointed out my contract is with the airline and not their subcontracted baggage handler. Any tips to progress my claim for compensation for damage appreciated.
AircraftATR72 - 500
RouteSiem Reap to Sihanoukville

"What an awful airline"

Trip Verified | Siem Reap to Da Nang. What an awful airline. I booked my flight months in advance and it wasn't cheap. At nearly $200 per ticket (I bought two) for a flight that was only an hour, I was already unimpressed, but it was the only option at the time. I triple checked luggage and it said I was eligible for 23KG for an international flight in economy class, which I booked. My first issue was that I never even received a confirmation email. After emailing them asking where it was, they said I was confirmed, yet still never sent an email. We got the airport with 2.5 hours to spare. The gate was supposed to open 2 hours prior to departure, but they were about 35 minutes late (they were there, just too busy chatting with each other). We checked in and were told luggage wasnt included with our ticket. U I have proof, its on the site, clear as day. However, I didn't actually have a confirmation email, just an email from a random person in customer service. They told me it was $5/KG. After arguing with the person at the desk for about 20 minutes, my husband decided it was best we not get arrested in Cambodia and agreed to pay the $200+ (with the plan to fight it with our credit card company since we could prove luggage was included). We handed over our card and the guy at the desk literally laughed in our face. He told us the airline does not accept credit cards. How do they not accept credit cards when we paid for our tickets with a credit card? He had no explanation. It was clear we were being extorted and after too long of arguing, we had to go get cash from an ATM and pay the money. Once on the plane, every single person working there was rude. No water/drinks of any kind were served and no forms were passed out for landing.
RouteSiem Reap to Da Nang
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"there is no more seats"

(China)

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap. When I tried to check in, they told me “there is no more seats, we are sorry. We will give you 50 dollars.” I had only one day in Siem Reap to tour Angkor Wat. I got all the plans, the car, the tour guide, arranged according to the 8:30 flight.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Siem Reap
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Flight itself very basic"

Trip Verified | Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. Awful airline. Should have taken heed of the other reviews! Ground service, especially check-in, is the rudest I’ve ever encountered, especially suprising for the Far East whose customer service is usually excellent. We had pre-paid directly with the airline for extra baggage and to choose our seats. The check in agent couldn’t acknowledge this and instead insisted we moved 2kg of luggage between packed cases there and then right in the check in queue. She either didn’t understand English (or pretended not to) or seemed to take great pleasure in making us do this completely unnecessary task. Flight itself very basic and definitely nothing to write home about. I was concerned with some of the cabin fittings appeared broken, seat belt signs weren’t working along the left hand side of the plane and my seat would not stay in the upright position. Of course this doesn’t mean there are safety issues but I wouldn’t personally like to take a chance. No one at this airline seems to be happy which is strange as Cambodia is a wonderful country where everyone seems eager to please. There are many other options on this route, please use one of the others!
AircraftATR 72
RoutePhnom Penh to Siem Reap
Date FlownMarch 2019

"avoid this airline at any cost"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Da Nang to Siem Reap. Try to avoid this airline at any cost! Flight was really expensive, but the worst happened at the airport. No option to check in baggage online and they charged 65 dollars for bag with terrible service. Other people had the same problem. Also you can only pay cash. Of course, so they can put it easily in their own pockets. The worst airline in the world by far. Very upset. Dont take your client for idiots. Same flight with VN Airline (share code). For same price 20kg baggage allowance.
RouteDa Nang to Siem Reap
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"we did not have Vietnam Visa"

Trip Verified | Upon checking in for our flight from Sihanoukville to Ho Chi Minh City we were told that we could not proceed with our check in because we did not have Vietnam Visa to enter the country and when we explained that we were connecting onward to Hong Kong on another airline we were told that we still needed the visa because we were travelling on a low cost airline (VietJet Air) and not connecting onto Vietnam Airlines their partner. So, we had to apply for an emergency visa letter issued in 15 minutes for $90 us each and then once we landed in Vietnam we had to go to the visa office and pay another $50 US each for the visa. We then connected onto Hong Kong having spent 3 hours in Vietnam and spent $280 US for a visa we should never had needed in the first place. There is nothing on their website that says anything about this procedure if you are not booking with their partner. It is shameful and ridiculous both on the part of the airline and on the part of Vietnam and their visa system. Do notbook with this airline if you are travelling through Vietnam or with VietJet Air either as there is no information about this on their website either. I hope this review saves someone else a lot of trouble.
RouteSihanoukville to Ho Chi Minh