British Airways

"process was ridiculously slow"

Trip Verified | Just checked in for a flight from Newcastle with BA. The check in process was disgusting. 45 minutes queuing. 2 BA staff working in two desks, one of which was a virtually empty priority queue in which the female checking assistant spent a large proportion of her time chatting to a colleague from Air France in the adjacent desk! The process was ridiculously slow with each check in taking several minutes. When the priority queue representative deigned to check economy passengers, she seemed to take an eternity. In the 45 minutes it took us, the queue never dropped below about 100 people. I have never queued in a slower or more disorganised check in desk. The adjacent Jet2 desks had seven staffed desks and I counted 14 staff! The “welcome” sign displayed at the BA desk should have been located at the start of the queue with the additional wording of “you’re in for a long wait”. To cap it all, after enduring the queue, we’re now delayed 40 minutes thus far! So unprofessional!
RouteNewcastle to Berlin via London
Date FlownJune 2019

"suitcase didn’t arrive"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Madrid. When I arrived I waited for one and a half hours for my one suitcase. It didn’t arrive. I was asked to fill in a ‘lost luggage’ form which I did and given a number to call the next day. The representative said she’d make sure the suitcase was delivered by 5.00 p.m. I was out during the day. When I returned later that evening there was no suitcase. It hadn’t been delivered. The next morning (Sunday) I phoned the number again. The answer message said phone back on Monday. As I was leaving on Sunday night this was pointless. I was leaving Madrid at 8.30 pm. My one suitcase arrived two hours before I left Madrid. So I spent the whole time in Madrid without my medicines, change of clothes, toiletries etc which ended up wasting a lot of my (short, valuable) time buying essentials that I needed whilst there.
RouteGatwick to Madrid
Date FlownMay 2019

"wanted to return a day early"

Trip Verified | My boyfriend and I wanted to return from our trip to London a day early but the BA app and website continued to glitch so I called to ask how much it would be to leave a day earlier. I was told that the penalty fee for changing the flight is $275 each and there’s a $50 fee for them to do it over the phone that’s $600, and the price of a flight by itself. We decided to try our luck again changing it on the app and paid $550 to change our flight to one day earlier to make it back for an event. The flight was delayed and arrived 1hr 55 mins late. We missed our event. The plane was filthy and my tv didn’t work. I asked the flight attendant for something to clean the slimy finger smears off the screen with and she told me it’s normal wear and tear but I could get toilet paper from the bathroom. I called to ask for a refund for the fees since the flight was delayed but they told me they can’t give us a refund because we got on the flight.
RouteLondon to Tampa
Date FlownMay 2019

"asked me to keep my luggage down"

Trip Verified | I had kept my laptop bag in the overhead cabin. Somebody got in a bigger cabin bag and they couldn't fit the bag in the space remaining, so they kept the bag on my laptop bag. When I asked the flight attendant to help me with this, he asked me to keep my luggage down. I was travelling with only one laptop bag, placed it in the cabin right over my seat and instead of asking the oversized bag to be placed properly or kept it elsewhere, my bag which was in place before the oversized bag came in was asked to be moved out. How fair is this?
RouteLondon to Bengaluru
Date FlownJune 2019

"cancelled as we missed outgoing flight"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Dubai. Last Sunday we unfortunately missed our BA flight to Dubai due to unforeseen circumstances, so we booked the next available flight for the morning which was with Emirates. Today we arrived at Dubai airport expecting to board the flight home that we had already paid for months in advance. At check in the BA staff told us that our flight had been cancelled as we missed our outgoing flight. We have not received a refund for the seats and they have refused to refund us the tickets we had brought.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Dubai
Date FlownMay 2019

"service went from good to superb"

Not Verified | London to Seattle. My husband and I have used this service for a number of years as our son lives in America. We have always been very satisfied with the service. Unfortunately I was taken ill on this flight and the service went from good to superb! I’d like to thank the cabin crew and Captain for the care I received during the last two hours of the flight. Advice was sought via radio, I was made comfortable in the galley, at least one crew member with me at all times, given oxygen etc. paramedic boarded the plane and escorted me off when I was then given a thorough medical check, a wheel chair was waiting and we were fast tracked through customs as I was not well enough to walk to the car park. We met the crew at the lift and the captain came to ask how I was. Many thanks to all of the and apologies to passengers that I must have disturbed.
RouteLondon to Seattle
Date FlownMay 2019

"trying to seat together"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to London. I booked a seat without luggage. Firstly one cannot make one booking for two passengers if only one has luggage. This caused an issue when trying to seat together. When the passenger without luggage tried to move seats (normally a free option for standard seats), you get advised that you have to pay. This was not disclosed when the booking was made. It was irritating because one of us was ill.
RouteJohannesburg to London
Date FlownMay 2019

"couple of very good flights"

Trip Verified | London to Milan. Evening outbound flight with some on board space so middle seat was empty. Boarding by group number worked effectively and I was able to store my laptop in the overhead. Free newspapers were available in the jet way. Passengers were warmly greeted. I was one row behind emergency exit and despite numerous requests from the steward woman in front was very challenging in agreeing to have her bag stored in the overhead which the steward handled very politely and patiently. Usual on board trolley service which I didn't use. Flight departed 10 minutes late due to lengthy taxi way and due to a head wind arrived in Linate 20 minutes late. Return flight could have been a challenge due to Italian strike but the very full flight departed on time and landed 15 minutes early. The cabin crew on this flight were excellent especially the senior stewardess who was warm and friendly towards every single customer - outstanding. We were taken off the aircraft and bussed into T5 which I think actually saved time as the entrance is directly below passport control. All in all a couple of very good flights.
AircraftA319/A320
RouteLondon to Milan
Date FlownMay 2019

"The legroom was terrible"

Trip Verified | Sofia to Belfast via London. The legroom on the Sofia to Heathrow flight was terrible. I am not tall, but my knees were pushing against the seat in front. Service was non existent unless you want to pay inflated prices. Where did the service go? There was a bad delay on the Belfast flight. We were not allowed to re-enter the lounge when the plane developed a fault, as we had gone through security. Only after 40 minutes were we allowed to re-enter the lounge. Service announcement was chaotic and contradicted what BA was sending us via texts. The delay lasted 2 hours 55 minutes, just short enough to avoid compensation. The Belfast flight had a lot more legroom than the 3-hour flight from Sofia. I will never set foot on this airline again.
RouteSofia to Belfast via London

"seat was uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Lima to Gatwick. Helpful and courteous cabin crew. The seat was uncomfortable and the in flight entertainment system derisory. The screen was small and in poor condition. Movies shown in the in flight magazine were unavailable and the selection of movies was poor. The touch screen failed to respond correctly and at times occasionally, without warning, increased the sound level to maximum without touching the screen or handset. A 12 hr flight with a rubbish entertainment system.
RouteLima to Gatwick

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL