British Airways

"require a transit visa"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Dublin via London. I get to the counter and require a transit visa. Since when and why if you are in the same terminal even. There was no support, guidance or remorse from the staff. I also had a non refundable hotel booking in Dublin! BA need to communicate such changes.
RouteJohannesburg to Dublin via London
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I want a refund"

Trip Verified | BA cancelled my return flight on 09-Feb-20 from Geneva to Gatwick due to storm Ciara. They rebooked me onto a later flight, then cancelled that as well. Since then, I heard nothing more and I was left on my own to buy a new return flight. I've tried calling them several times every day, but they are not answering their phones, claiming they are too busy to talk to customers. They cancelled my flight, so I want a refund, but so far there is no way of getting through to them.
RouteGeneva to Gatwick
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"crew was amazingly kind and lovely"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | Mexico City to Manchester via London. My plane from Mexico City to London was smooth. Entertainment was quite nice and so was the food; although I chose a window seat and was never informed it wasn't actually the window, but a wall! The crew was amazingly kind and lovely. They're always checking on you, and we even got a Magnum! Loved this airline for my first flight ever.
RouteMexico City to Manchester via London

"Arriving late to board"

Trip Verified | I was to fly to Melbourne from Manchester via London and Singapore in July 2019. Arriving late to board my Heathrow flight, the Check-In-Staff discussed my dilemma with her supervisor. Only option being to find my way to Heathrow. I somehow managed to get to Heathrow in time where only the Singapore to Melbourne Boarding Pass was issued. I was told that because Manchester to Heathrow flight was missed, my Heathrow to Singapore was cancelled.
RouteManchester to Melbourne via London / Singapore
Date FlownJuly 2019

"fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | Prague to London. This is the first time I have flown with British Airways. The flight departed earlier than intended and got to Heathrow about 5 minutes early. However at Heathrow, there was a plane in the way as we had arrived early. A negative was at the check-in, partly the website’s fault, as we had done the online check in. We selected the amount of bags we each had. It said we would have to pay extra, and we spent forever at the checkin because we had to pay £65 for each bag. Apart from those negatives and the delay, I would definitely fly this airline again.
RoutePrague to London
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"thank you for your service and kindness"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | On 4th of December before my flight's departure I got my purse stolen in NYC with all my money and my passport in it. Thanks to the kind strangers I managed to get to the Danish embassy and get a temporary passport. When I arrived at the JFK Airport it was too late and I wasn't allowed to drop off my luggage. With tears in my eyes I went to the desk where they sell tickets and the employee was so kind and helpful - she booked me on to the next flight for free, got me through security without having to wait in the line and she informed the flight crew what happened. When I finally sat down the flight crew were so kind and gave me water and food as I haven't had any food for the whole day as I didn't have any money. I want to say thank you for your service and kindness and for making sure that I got back to Denmark safely. I was overwhelmed with all the kindness from all the staff! Once again thank you!
RouteNew York to London Heathrow via Copenhagen
Date FlownDecember 2019

"only saving grace was a superb cabin staff"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Bangkok. Done this route a few times with British Airways over the years, first time and probably last in economy, old plane needs upgrade, poor entertainment system. Uncomfortable seats especially for 10+ hour flight. I know they’re starting to upgrade these planes but still a long time away. The only saving grace was a superb cabin staff in economy.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Bangkok

"the service was good"

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Boston via London. My flight with British airways was really good. The catering was excellent on both flights and even the service was good. However, some of the seats have very limited legroom due to the IFE box blocking space in front of you. Also, BA had misplaced my tennis racket which was checked in. They have a really weird policy that you can't carry your single sports equipment as cabin baggage and instead, you have to check it in. The ground staff was rude at Logan Airport in Boston. Also, they took a week to deliver my racket to my house even though it arrived in Boston 24 hrs after I had come. Even after contacting BA'S Baggage Customer Service, they were speaking rudely to me. They always tried to cut my call in like 2 minutes without even listening to my concern. British Airways needs to improve their ground experience.
AircraftBoeing 777-200ER
RouteMumbai to Boston via London
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"refund for seat assignments"

Trip Verified | I purchased roundtrip tickets for my wife and I to travel from Orlando, Florida to Accra, Ghana and I purchased advance seat assignments. Unfortunately, British Airways only gave me the seats I paid for for one of four international legs our our roundtrip. I have been fighting with British Airways to get my refund for these seat assignments. They have only provided me with refund of $234. Despite several phone calls and filing multiple on-line calls and providing them with detailed, my fightcontinues. Their customer service is really poor. I will never purchase advance seat assignments with them again.
RouteOrlando, Florida to Accra, Ghana
Date FlownDecember 2019

"still consider other airlines"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Geneva via London. I stopped flying BA about three years ago after they dramatically downgraded their service. Apparently things have improved somewhat since, so I decided to give them another try. Overall, I was happy with my experience, save for two major gripes. On the plus side: I flew on new aircraft, which were comfortable, albeit with the usual narrow seats for modern aircraft (same with all airlines). Legroom on the 787-9 was generous and seemed to be more than the official 31". Pilots were very good and informative, as always with BA. Quality of food on long-haul has definitely improved since the bad old days of soggy pasta and droopy sandwiches; I rather enjoyed the meals served, which were on nice large trays. The IFE was just about adequate, though surprisingly dated for such new aircraft. Cathay Pacific's is far superior. The two major downsides: 1. The new Basic Economy fare. It is really pesky and serves only to disgruntle passengers. BA really need to get rid of it. Virtually everyone on long-haul has to check in a bag, so please just include it in all airfare types. If I wanted to be nickle-and-dimed, I'd fly to Gatwick on a charter airline. Also, not being able to choose a seat even at the time of check-in is infuriating. I was automatically allocated a middle seat even though the entire rear half of the plane was empty! This just goes to show that you will get a middle seat unless you pay. Thankfully, the lady at check-in changed it to a window seat free of charge after I asked nicely. 2. No complimentary catering on short-haul. Seeing as virtually all passengers flying to/from Heathrow are connecting to/from long-haul flights with BA and have spent at least $1,000 on their airfare, I resented a drink and snack not being included on the short-haul segment of my trip. BA should not be treating connecting passengers the same as those on low-cost airlines who only paid a few dollars for a short trip. If BA would get rid of these two new features, I would not hesitate to fly with them again, as everything else about my trip was pleasant. As it is, I would still consider other airlines.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A320
RouteToronto to Geneva via London

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL