British Airways

"lack of social distancing"

Trip Verified | I was deeply unimpressed with the lack of social distancing on my flight. The plane to London was 90% or more full, and no social distancing could be applied. A number of people wearing face masks incorrectly (over mouth or as a chinstrap) throughout the flight, and there was a fair amount of time when masks were off for the free snack (small bag of crisps and 250ml of water). It seems crazy to allow a considerate amount of time with masks off or inappropriately worn in such a small space with no safe distance whatsoever. Also, only the absolute minimum of service which, given COVID, is understandable but makes the flight really boring - or not, since some excitement was provided by turbulence, with very little information from the flight deck. Disembarkation was chaotic to say the least but Terminal 5 was empty and vast enough to allow to finally distance. An upgrade for 89 Euros one was was available but it didn't seem to make sense. At least they departed on time and the plane appeared reasonably clean.
RouteBerlin to London
Date FlownAugust 2020

"I was pleasantly surprised"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Newcastle to London Heathrow with British Airways. I was pleasantly surprised. Plane was on time and spotlessly clean. Professional staff; bottle of water, crackers and crisps handed out. Lovely deplaning with special Covid social distancing system working well.
RouteNewcastle to London Heathrow
Date FlownJuly 2020

"Service is non-existent"

Trip Verified | British Airways canceled my flight to London on June 3 due to COVID-19. It is July 23 and they still have not refunded my money. I've reached out to executives after trying the usual customer service path. Nothing has worked. They will not call me and will not provide me any resolution. They are blatantly ignoring emails asking for help. Avoid British Airways. Service is non-existent and they will keep your money. They are keeping almost $3000US of our money.
RouteAustin to London
Date FlownJuly 2020

"BA has failed completely"

Trip Verified | London to Frankfurt. I made the mistake of exchanging my April flights with BA for a voucher, because of the travel disruption due to the pandemic. Big mistake. BA has failed completely and does not seem to care. I tried to book an August flight using the voucher, but frlights cannot be booked online using a voucher. You have to wait for hours on the phone to speak to someone. Customer service tried to charge me twice the original cost. Then no email confirmation for hours, after I chased it up (another long wait on hold). Email confirmation showed they had booked the wrong outbound date - service supervisor denied any error on their part and refused to rebook for correct date or give a refund. A few days later I started all over again and booked an alternative outbound date (still not the one I wanted, but better) - And 3 weeks later, BA cancelled the return flight! So I Called for a refund to be told "If it hasn't appeared in my account after 21 days, to get back in touch". Things go wrong. It's how you deal with problems that mark out good customer service. BA hasn't a clue!
RouteLondon to Frankfurt
Date FlownApril 2020

"This is appalling business practice!"

Trip Verified | BA cancelled my flight to Lyon, March/April 2020, because of the Corona crisis. I could not obtain a refund, as the BA website and telephone service made this impossible, it just sent me round in circles. So I opted for a Future Travel Voucher, as this could be obtained via the website. I have now tried to use the voucher for a flight to Munich, and was informed by the website that I have to call BA for this. The Silver card member phone number is inaccessible, as BA has reduced telephone access to one number. I have now called this number five times, each time I was told to call at another time, as 'in these difficult times, they had to protect staff'. This is exactly the same message that I received the many times I called for a refund. Is BA not honouring their voucher system, trying to fob off customers and keep their money? This is appalling business practice!
RouteLondon Heathrow to Lyon
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"efficient, clean and punctual"

Trip Verified | A short hop from London to Edinburgh in November 2019 - efficient, clean and punctual. The airport experience was straightforward and I think flying from City you get simplicity but miss out on the bigger aircraft which are a bit more comfortable. I got my luggage quickly at the other end and I appreciated having a wide range of flight times to choose from.
AircraftEmbraer 195
RouteLondon City to Edinburgh
Date FlownNovember 2019

"tickets should have been refunded"

Trip Verified | I booked a trip to Spain for mid-March 2020 with American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia. I needed to cancel this flight due to the pandemic and travel ban to Europe that began in March. I was able to change my flight at no cost, which is great, but given the fact that my flight left the day the travel ban began, those tickets should have been refunded. If I were to have boarded that flight, I would have been quarantined in Europe and would have faced a mandatory quarantine upon re-entry to the US IF I were able to return at all. The fact that British Airways did not cancel this flight is beyond me since I do not know who in their right mind would have traveled to Spain with the travel ban enforced. The response I received from British Airways is that it does not matter the reason, unless they cancel the flight, no refund or voucher is available. I'm very disappointed in the response from them during a global pandemic and will not book another flight with them.
RouteChicago to Seville via Miami / Madrid

"withholding my money"

Trip Verified | This company is withholding my money after cancelling my flight due to the pandemic and have issued me a voucher. Even though I called to explain why a voucher is useless since we are under a travel bane. Initially, they had said no refunds, the only thing to do was get a voucher. After we had ordered they announce you can get refund if flight is cancelled and you don’t have voucher.
RouteToronto to London
Date FlownMay 2020

"arrived 3 hrs 25 mins late"

Trip Verified | Flight BA 282 on 11 February was delayed 173 mins due to mechanical in London and so I misconnected at London Heathrow and arrived 3 hrs 25 mins late. I requested compensation and was refused - for three e-mails they told me my flight to London was delayed 173 mins (under the 180 mins floor) and I continued to reply that I did not fly to London but to Paris and arrived 205 mins late. Then they started writing that I was able to make my original connexion which is untrue. I don't know whether to fault their greed at persisting in this lie or their incompetence.
RouteLos Angeles to Paris via London
Date FlownMarch 2020

"never use this airline again"

Trip Verified | I flew with BA recently from Sydney to London, deciding to return back home from travelling due to the coronavirus situation. The first ticket I booked with them was via Hong Kong. After booking, HK closed it's borders so I could no longer get this flight. I rang up BA who advised that the HK flight was not yet cancelled on the system so they couldn't yet book me onto a new flight yet. The customer service agent assured me he would ring me back at 11am the next day as it would be cancelled on the system by then and he would tell me what flight BA would be putting me on as a replacement. 11am came and went the next day and I had not received a phone call. I tried ringing to find out what was going on and was on hold for 5 hours and still no one answered! I decided to book myself onto another flight as there were hardly any left available and I didn't want to end up stuck in Australia. I had not received the promised phone call or even an email to tell me what my replacement flight would be so felt I had no other choice. When I got back home I raised this with BA. They told me that I was supposed to process an 'involuntary change' to get a replacement flight - that is not what the customer agent advised me! I'd never even heard that term before. He simply said BA would sort it out and put me on a replacement flight, he didn't say I had to do anything. So now because I was given the incorrect advice, I am out of pocket by a considerable amount. I raised it with the BA complaints team that I had been advised incorrectly and if I had been told I needed to do an involuntary change myself I would have done so. They were extremely unhelpful and just said that they don't know why I was advised incorrectly and there is nothing they can do about it. When I said that wasn't good enough they basically just fobbed me off and told me to go to a third party adjudicator if I wanted but they were not prepared to do anything. I will never use this airline again.
RouteSydney to London via Singapore

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL