British Airways

"cabin crew seemed to really struggle with service"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Departure was about 40 minutes late. The A350 we flew on was about eighteen months old. The seating spacing in economy class seems very tight and if the seat in front is fully tilted back, it is a real challenge to get out of the seat. The screen becomes so close to your face it becomes difficult to focus on the screen. Audio was so poor due to music drowning the conversation, I gave up trying to watch. The cabin crew seemed to really struggle with service, it felt very disorganised. Felt sorry for the cabin crew they seemed to be working hard and there seems to be a lot of up and down the aisles on this type of aircraft - felt unnatural. The overhead bins are very high and many passengers had difficulty accessing their belongings during the flight. I tried using the overhead attendant light to verify my wife's meal but no one responds - better to stop a flight attendant in the aisle. Nice aircraft for a two hour flight but no fun for close to eleven hours. I am going to explore other options before using BA again, the hassle to make contact with anybody before the flight puts you off before you even go to the airport.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Johannesburg
Date FlownJune 2022

"Overall not happy at all"

Not Verified | Was going from Belfast to London but they cancelled the flight, and we didn’t even know it was cancelled. Someone behind us had to tell us. we had a connecting flight and spent a lot of money on our holiday. the refund takes ages. Overall not happy at all.
RouteBelfast to London
Date FlownJune 2022

"do not allow free seat selection

Not Verified | Second time getting poor service from BA. 1st, unable to contact via phone, email or website. 2nd even with four business class tickets across the Atlantic, they do not allow free seat selection or check in until 24 hours prior to the flight. Do they understand what the last 24 hours of an international trip are like? By the time we confirmed our seats my wife and our kids were spread throughout the plane. Of course no-one at the airport could do anything.
Date FlownJune 2022

"Really not fair to just take our money!"

Not Verified | Booked a flight from London to Paris 2020. Trip was cancelled due to Covid lockdowns. We asked BA staff for refund, told cannot do but will issue vouchers. We stated no good for two elderly people from Australia as would not know when we can travel. Informed no other option and silly vouchers sent. Now they are running out of date and unusable! Have been asking for two years for refund! Many many emails. They keep saying we took vouchers! Had no choice. Does anyone have any other options re complaints! We would be most grateful. Really not fair to just take our money!
RouteLondon to Paris
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Trying to call BA was a nightmare"

Not Verified | We left MIA late due to an issue with the provisioning of the plane. We arrived late and so missed our connection at LHR to CDG. At LHR British Airways rebooked us on not 1 but 3 flights to CDG and as such said I never took the flight to CDG and then cancelled my flight back to MIA since I did not take my flight. They did credit my AVIOS for the one flight but said I never took it. Thus I had to book on another airline to return at the last moment. Trying to call BA was a nightmare on hold for over 1 hour, a total of $127 extra on my calling plan only to not be helped as the person did not know what to do so he had us contact duty office who does not handle “flight only” problems feeding us back to the number we just called and we’re unable to be helped. BA cost me $5800 overall. We have flown them for years reaching silver and gold status but never again. They under new leadership have sunk to less than a budget low cost airline in customer service while charging premium rates - don’t be fooled.
RouteMiami to Paris
Date FlownJune 2022

"flight was delayed over 6 hours"

Not Verified | The flight was delayed over 6 hours and this of course caused us to missed our connection flight and change to a different route, finally I lost my luggage and no one has any information. I will never again travel with British Airways.
RouteEdmonton to Cairo
Date FlownJune 2022

"No respect with the customer!"

Not Verified | Terrible experience with British Airways! I was obligated to check-in my carry-on suitcase due to my group number, according to the girl at the front desk. Then, they could miss my two suitcases, plus the luggage of my boyfriend, who traveled with me. After 3 days, they delivered 2 of our 3 bags, and since then the promise of deliver the last one persists. Now, already 10 days passed, and still no information of where the last suitcase is. Always the promise that the bag will be delivered today, but it never happens! No respect with the customer! First and last time with British Airways for sure! I don't recommend at all!!
RouteAmsterdam to Montreal via London
Date FlownJune 2022

"BA cancelled my flight, I never got on it"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | BA cancelled my flight, I never got on it, couldn't book another and refunded about a quarter of what I spent despite their covid guarantees. I was booked onto a flight with BA for April 29th 2022 from Hong Kong to London. They cancelled the flight so I looked at rebooking for a later date; COVID ticketing flexibility assurances? Couldn't find a flight up to and including October. So I opted for the refund thinking I'd get a full refund. I was refunded about 1/5 of what I paid. I called their service centre for an explanation as I couldn't fathom how they could cancel the flight, not have any other flights available and I didn't get a full refund. Each phone call takes about 45 minutes before you get to talk to customer service. And thats where the frustration begins. The customer service people were adamant that a full refund should be given and asked me to wait while they escalate the case. A month later and about 6 phone calls later, thats 6 hours waiting on the phone, they finally refunded me a little more - in total less than 1/4 of what I paid. It would seem to get a refund in increments I would have had to call their customer service for them to take me round in circles until I got frustrated and give up. So instead of calling I enquired about this via their website .. just for an answer as to why I wasn't getting a full refund. I didn't cancel my booking, neither was it my fault they decided to stop flight to HK. After another month of waiting ... this is the reason they gave in an email. "Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to cancel your flight to Heathrow on 29 April 2022. Your claim's been refused because BA0032 was cancelled because of non payable commercial reason. Further to your request, I would advise to kindly get in touch with our customer support team to know the status of the refund, as the same is looked after by our support team. We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The cancellation was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule. Thanks again for following this up with us. Please feel free to contact us if we can help you any further and I hope we have the chance to welcome you on board again soon. Best regards British Airways Customer Relations". I don't know what "non payable commercial reason" is. I am out about 250 sterling, going to just leave it their and boycott this company.
RouteHong Kong to London
Date FlownApril 2022

"think twice to take BA in the future"

Trip Verified | Belfast to London on 20 Jun, 0650. I was informed at about 0200 flight BA1427 has been delayed to 0915, will only reach London Heathrow at 1025. I reached the airport at 0445, but BA counter was only open at 0510. At checkin counter, I approached BA ground staff for advice as I have a connecting Singapore Airlines flight at 1125 on the same day. The reply was “it is the customer’s responsibility to contact the airline, there’s nothing we can do”. I was given a card with contact info on BA customer service and sales. For the next 2 hrs in the airport, I have been trying to contact BA, but was told that hotline only operates from 0800, I have to called another number for “urgent cases”, which ever number I dial, I just couldn’t get to speak to any one till 0757. Again, I was told that there’s nothing they could do because my connecting flight is Singapore Airlines. Onboard the aircraft, when I approached for help with my luggage to be placed to the compartment, I was told that it’s the customer’s responsibility to do it on their own. I would think twice to take BA in the future.
RouteBelfast to London
Date FlownJune 2022

"I guess BA has selected the lowest budget option"

Not Verified | The customer service of British Airways is really bad. You can't reach any call centre agent even after waiting for 30 mins. Now, I really appreciate Emirates and Turkish Airlines after facing BA's low quality customer service. Not only the customer service but the food they offer during a long haul (LDN-JNB) is really low quality. Other airline operators which are working with Do&Co for flight catering are way better than BA. I guess BA has selected the lowest budget option from Do&Co. Overall my rating is 2/5 for BA - you can feel how stingy BA is when you fly with them. Note: Respect to their cabin crew
RouteLondon to Johannesburg

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL