British Airways

"comfort was very bad"

Trip Verified | Inverness to Auckland via Singapore with British Airways. Service was very good but comfort was very bad, for a 14 hour I had no more leg room than I did for an hour flight. I was uncomfortable and as a regular flyer I have used other airlines that provide much more space for long haul flights.
RouteInverness to Auckland via Singapore
Date FlownMay 2019

"expected a better level of attention to detail"

Trip Verified | I was seated right next to the galley and lavatory in the aisle. During the safety talk the cabin crew were only metres away talking loudly which was irritating, so my initial impression was disappointed for business class. However, into the flight I found one female crew very personable and was offered a seat two back. I was not provided with a complimentary travel wallet, so did not realise that socks and sleep mask were available, and I needed to ask for a pillow. The menu guide was on cheap paper and, with no convenient place to store it for reference later, was very ordinary. The evening meal was acceptable (soup, steak/veg, fruits ) was OK served with freezing cold cutlery. Bed was ok but nowhere to store spectacles or personal needs such as spectacles, asthma puffer, or water bottle. The breakfast of juice and cereal/yoghurt was fine but the single poached egg was like a rubber ball and the included fish patties were unpalatable. The lavatory was spacious and allowed room to change clothes ready for the connecting flight. Overall I expected a better level of attention to detail and a more upmarket delivery. The only business class addition feature that I appreciated was being able to stretch out for some sleep. BA ground staff were unable to link my second flight on a QF 11 from Singapore to Brisbane, insisting I needed to collect my luggage, leave arrivals and recheck in for next flight. I am 73 with some mobility problems, requiring assistance, so this was a worry for me. When I arrived in Singapore, the kind assistance girl arranged to take me to a special transit desk where it was no problem arranging for my bags to be forwarded to next flight.
RouteHeathrow to Singapore
Date FlownMay 2019

"an hour or so to drop off luggage"

Trip Verified | Flight was OK, minor delay didn't both me. What was astonishing is that we had to wait an hour or so to drop off our luggage because at Lyon Airport they were training new ground staff at the same time? They continued doing this even though the cue became pretty huge and time started to run out to make it to the flight.
RouteLyon to London
Date FlownMay 2019

"return flight extremely poor"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Barbados return. I normally travel on BA with low expectations with the result that I am not too disappointed and sometimes pleasantly surprised. The outbound flight was about par for the course with a reasonably comfortable seat and an OK cabin crew that did just about enough to look after us and make the flight uneventful. However, the flight did leave bang on time and managed to land in Barbados before the Virgin flight that was scheduled to leave Gatwick five minutes before us, with the result that we got through arrivals quickly. The return flight a week later managed to reinforce my low expectations of BA with one of the poorer flights that we have experienced over the last few years. Once again when you travel west to east, the crew (specifically one lady who was looking after our part of the cabin) somehow feel they have to rush through every part of the drinks and meal service that it becomes an ordeal. The pre departure drinks were missed on all of seats on the left hand side of the PE cabin (not a big deal but irritating non the less). No bread was served with dinner, despite there being butter on the plate, so I presume it was missed. My wife had ordered a veggie meal and was served about ten minutes before everyone else, which was fine. However, as the crew were serving the remaining meals, there was a continual dialogue across the two aisles about what selections they each had on their respective trolleys. When they reached our row, they somehow thought it would be a good idea to try and pass a hot tray of chicken in gravy across the four middle seats with the result that the red hot gravy spilled on the my wife's remaining food and lap, although fortunately she did have a napkin in place which absorbed most of the liquid. It also spilled on my Kindle which thankfully had the cover closed. A very brief apology was given but without any sincerity and I suspect blissfully unaware of the obvious mistake they had made. My wife's wine was replaced but not the rest of her dinner. Once again we landed on time, which was a good thing. Overall, the return flight was extremely poor.
RouteGatwick to Barbados
Date FlownMay 2019

"should not have to pay water "

Trip Verified | Marseille to London. I am generally annoyed with the quality of the service. I believe that we should not have to pay for a glass of water with slice of lemon in a BA flight. I realised that I forgot a big duty free bag in the plane after the passport control. I went to the BA Helpdesk, the staff sent me to terminal 5 at the lost and found to pick up my bag while it was not even there. Luckily, I decided to stop on the way in the lost and found of terminal 3, where they (the friendly lost and found staff and not the BA staff) nicely explained me that there was no point for me to go there and called some other agents to help me.
RouteMarseille to London
Date FlownMay 2019

"crew were very efficient"

Trip Verified | The cabin crew on flight BA035 London to Chennai were very efficient and did their best to take care of their clients. I did tell them I would write a review and here it is. Keep up the good service and, thanks!
RouteLondon to Chennai
Date FlownMay 2019

"Overall a decent flight"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Malaga. Check in was fairly quick. The check in area at Gatwick is quite nice although they are failing with general upkeep. The whole area needed vacuuming and there were stains and signs of chewing gum on the carpets. If you’re not going to look after it then you better just having normal airport flooring. The lounge at Gatwick is really nice and whilst it was very busy, there were still available comfy and desk style chairs to suit. The food and drink offering was very good. Tasty and varied. On board I was lucky to be able to book the exit row, which actually makes the seats better than club in my opinion. Food and drinks service was fairly slow although being near the front this wasn’t a problem for me. The food offering is fairly poor really, a couple of sandwiches or snacks.. drinks selection is better. What was very nice was, near the end of the flight I was given a free glass of champagne for being a silver member. I wouldn’t expect this, and I’m sure it’s just because they had a bottle to use up, but it was a nice gesture to show to frequent flyers. Still no WiFi or WiFi based in flight entertainment offered. Priority bag tags as usual are kind of irrelevant. My bag took quite a long time to come through and was preceded by dozens of non priority bags. Overall a decent flight, and very good value as I paid using avios. Being silver and getting lounge access and free seat selection was a massive plus.
RouteGatwick to Malaga

"Was very comfortable"

Trip Verified | Boston to London Heathrow, was excited to experience A380 for the first time. Paid a steep $91 for the seat selection on the upper deck. Was very comfortable with storage cabin beneath the Window. Seat itself was the standard one, comfortable. The boarding was efficiently managed for such a large aircraft. There was never a massive crowd in front of the gate. The inflight service for the outbound leg was less than ideal. The food was very mediocre at best - not worth losing sleep over it. There was serious bumps along the way midflight. The A380 being so massive easily absorbed it. Return was on a B777 - flight was not full but almost full. The inflight service and the food served were both remarkably better than the outbound journey. The baggage drop area however was a disaster. None of the machines worked and there was single kind hearted person assisting passengers. The boarding was again very orderly. Both outbound and inbound IFE was good but not as good as some long haul carriers. If both legs had similar cabin crew and food I would have scored them higher.
AircraftA380 / Boeing 777
RouteBoston to London Heathrow

"a pretty good flight"

Trip Verified | London to Cape Town in First and our first taste of the new 'soft' product. Still, unfortunately, a 30 year-old 747 that hadn't had its refurbishment and was showing its age. A wardrobe door that's falling off its hinges, a non-touch touch screen and a cupboard door in the washroom that won't stay shut don't pass muster in First and blemish the impression of the positive changes in the on-board service. The young mixed fleet crew did a reasonable job and served drinks and food efficiently without the wait other reviewers have complained about. Care was also taken in preparing and plating up the food. For once, nothing was overcooked and even the beef was decent. Bedding is also improved, with a good quality duvet and large pillow. The IFE remains the same low-res screen quality and the new headphones are uncomfortable worn for more than the duration of a single film. The goodies bag is much better and worth taking home. Overall, a pretty good flight, but it remains to be seen what BA will do with its long-in-the-tooth First Class when their new Club Suites are launched.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteLondon to Cape Town
Date FlownMay 2019

"the excellent cabin crew"

Trip Verified | This review is specifically aimed at the excellent cabin crew on BA 174 from JFK New York to Heathrow on Tue 14th May. I was travelling back from New York following a few days break with 11 girlfriends. Check in and boarding was all on schedule,however it was identified that there was a technical problem and the captain advised passengers that some assistance was required to rectify the issue; this resulted in over an hour's delay leaving NY. Despite this annoying delay, the cabin crew more than made up for this. They were friendly, polite and couldn't do enough to ensure our journey was comfortable and enjoyable, they were all exceptional, even those that were not serving in the section I was in. I do hope that this information is passed on.
RouteNew York to Heathrow

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG). Since 2016 British Airways has been implementing cost-cutting across many parts of the customer product, with the 4-Star Airline rating held by BA for many years under review.

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL