British Airways

"the value was very good"

Trip Verified | Having booked this flight a week before the BA strike and mistakingly thinking that the strike would have ended two days before I flew and not in fact the day before, I was apprehensive as to how it would operate. The check-in and security clearance at T5 took only 15 minutes. Personally I do not like the self service bag and tag drop that BA operate as one is not 100% confident that I did everything correctly. Boarding is by the new fare group system (1 to 5) which depends on how much one has paid for the ticket. Again I'm not a fan of this. Possibly due to the previous day's strike and the need to accommodate passengers from canceled flights, the aircraft was a large A321. Boarding was however smooth. On board the virtually full cabin was very clean and the EuroTraveller seats were comfortable and offer sufficient leg room (I'm 1m.79cm and my knees do not touch the seat in front). The departure was only 15 minutes behind the scheduled departure time. In flight there were 3 cabin staff in the Euro Traveller cabin (believe 2 in Club cabin) who were very efficient and friendly and so one only had to wait no more than 30 minutes from take off to purchase refreshments on such a full flight. Again it is a shame though that BA have gone down the no frills line and charge for food and drinks when they describe themselves as a full service airline. The landing at Tegel was 30 minutes ahead of schedule. All in all it was a pleasant flight and the value was very good as it was combined with a hotel booking. Tegel itself is a bit of hassle with only 2 border police carrying out immigration controls for over 200 passengers at the end of the airbridge and a further 30 minute wait for luggage but this was not BA's fault.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Berlin Tegel

"Abysmal customer services"

Trip Verified | I wouldn't even rate them 1/10 2 x business class passengers booked via On Business. 1 bag lost in transit. Ground crew in MXP rude, dismissive & most unhelpful, unable to locate missing bag. Waited for next flight to arrive, still no bag. Decided to cut short our trip as the bag contained essential meds - ok that's a lesson learnt the hard way. Due to this being an OB booking BA customer services unwilling to be flexible and change tickets resulting in full fare tickets purchased to return. Apparently the bag arrived 24hrs later, we were back in the UK, despite BA website showing in transit LHR/MXP for 8 days! Numerous lengthy calls to customer service proved fruitless, passed from one department to another then cut off! After an email to their CEO & Director of Brand and Customer Experience received a call from Global Engagement Executive Team offering £100 e-voucher. Abysmal customer services. No wonder their reputation is in tatters. I will never fly BA again.
RouteLondon to Milan
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"no different to a budget airline"

Trip Verified | Flying London City to Geneva. The only plus was the Embraer E190 jet had a comfortable interior with plenty of leg room for an economy seat. Other than that BA now offers a basic no frills service that is no different to a budget airline. Yet it charges 'full service' prices!
AircraftEMB190
RouteLondon to Geneva
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"wanted to change our departure date"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Istanbul via London. Flight between London and Istanbul is like coach, no TV and small leg room. Transatlantic business seats are very narrow and mine did not become a complete bed. Food was below average. The Heathrow BA business lounge was a cramped, tasteless, dirty lounge . It took us 25 min to find two chairs to seat. Food was awful and service is even worst. When we wanted to change our departure date by a few days we had to pay a penalty of $500 plus fee change, so we ended up paying $800 per person in addition to the fare already paid.
RouteLos Angeles to Istanbul via London

"a nightmare"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Tel Aviv via London. The return from London to Phoenix was a nightmare. I want everyone to know that I sent a complaint 3 times but there is no one to talk to. This is not something that I am used to.
RoutePhoenix to Tel Aviv via London
Date FlownAugust 2019

"lacklustre at best"

Not Verified | London to Kefalonia . The T5 Galleries lounge is showing its age and was packed at 9:30 on a Saturday. Boarding was by the now standard groups, which meant waiting 15 minutes in a queue and then 10 minutes on the bridge. The flight deck then informed us that we’d be waiting on a stand for 1 hr 20 minutes before our departure slot. Once in the air, cabin crew delivered the usual Club Europe experience, which was mediocre at best. Fortunately, arrival was only 45 minutes late and we were out of Kefalonia airport 30 minutes later. Overall, a typical BA experience that’s lacklustre at best.
RouteLondon to Kefalonia
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"don’t know which airline is at fault"

Trip Verified | London to Dublin. It was never my choice to fly with British Airways and I will never fly with them again. I was supposed to fly with American Airlines from the USA to Dublin, but I had a connecting flight from my origin city to Chicago. Unfortunately, my first flight was delayed due to weather, which caused me to miss the flight from Chicago to Dublin. I was put on a flight to London instead, which I had to run for when I finally made it to Chicago, and my bag did not make it on the flight. I then flew with British Airways from London to Dublin. I was told to file a lost baggage claim with BA, which I did. I was told that the bag would be transferred from American to BA when it arrived in Dublin. Using American’s baggage tracking system, I was able to confirm that the bag arrived the day after I did around noon on Saturday. I am writing this review on the following Sunday and the bag is still not in my possession. BA’s customer service is terrible. If someone there tells me one more time to just wait and be patient, I am going to lose it! My bag has been sitting at the airport in the same city I’m in for more than a day and I can’t get it. Talk about serious frustration. I don’t know which airline is at fault for the delay, but the difference is that when I called American, the rep did everything she could to find out the status of my bag. And even though their baggage claim desk was closed when I called, she still tried to call an internal number to see if anyone was still around. Unfortunately she couldn’t get hold of anyone, but she left them a message and told me exactly who I could call and when to call them the next morning. I did not receive that level of service from BA. I even asked if they could call the airport and was told, “we are not authorized to call airports.” Why in the world wouldn’t they be authorized to call their own baggage department? I am not thrilled with either airline, but at least American has made some attempt to help me. This has ruined the first three days of a trip that I planned for two years. If you do check a bag and it’s lost or delayed, don’t expect any help if you flew with BA. And here’s a tip: if you are dealing with a lost or delayed bag in a country you don’t live in, don’t call the generic customer service number on the website you would normally use. Dig around and see if you can find a number for the airport you flew into. You will get a lot more information and assistance that way.
RouteLondon to Dublin
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"decline in the service level"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to London. An email on the 25th August advising us that this flight was cancelled and the hours spent on hold never speaking to anyone, what a total awful nightmare. Then the email at 6.00pm saying I must be delighted to find out my flight has not been cancelled. All slots in the Elemis Salon were already booked so no massages were available in First Class. Arriving at HK airport on the return journey and struggling even to get from the pavement to the inside of the terminal (why did they not tell us to print out proof of travel??). We had to wait ages for BA to open a check in desk, pretty average food and service in the Qantas lounge. A broken screen in seat 59A (it would not stay in position and without wedging, unusable to constant interruptions during the flight to my partner from a large passenger climbing over him. A ghastly sweet and sour chicken main course which made me send my tray away and not eat until after leaving the flight. Cheapest goodies bag with the broken zip and my suitcase was the very last off the plane. I had already been to the BA desk and reported it when it then eventually turned up on the conveyor belt. First class out to HK was a good business class experience, the return flight in business class was in a word poor. The plane was tired, IFE faulty, poor food and the journey was only saved by the quality of the staff, they were lovely - but if you give them rubbish tools they will serve rubbish. The night term pantry offering was a total joke. I have been a BA Exec card holder since for ever and I have seen is a decline in the service level. Certainly not value for money, we did not get a Club class experience on the flight home.
RouteHong Kong to London
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"suitcase was 4cm oversize"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Seville. When my son and his girlfriend proceeded to drop their hand luggage a member of staff insisted in making them pay 50GBP because one of the suitcases was 4cm oversize, and he insisted that it was not a hand luggage. Staff said that if he did not pay, he would lose the flight.
RouteGatwick to Seville
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Full credit to the crew"

Trip Verified | London to Abuja-flight full, aircraft an older version of 777-200. Evening meal served which was very ordinary but we arrived more or less on time after dodging thunderstorms near Abuja. Return flight delayed - pilot strike meant our aircraft had been parked at Lagos - and had to be flown back to Abuja with a 2 hour delay. Flight was supposed to be a 8 am departure but the airport side did not have the sense to tell us so we were herded into the gate area where there was no food facility and waited for the flight. The crew were also herded into the gate area and it was the same crew we had on the outward flight and the same plane - they had also had to have a long foodless wait but were quite chatty as we were all in the same boat. Flight totally full as flights on previous days had been cancelled. Breakfast was served but there was no evidence of the standard of meals being improved-scrambled egg was just a lump of tasteless yellow. Full credit to the crew - cheerful and efficient in spite of all the delays etc. The aircraft was clean but old and down at heel - the carpet under the seat in front was ripped and the "floor" was visible.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Abuja Nigeria

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL