British Airways

"This is appalling business practice!"

Trip Verified | BA cancelled my flight to Lyon, March/April 2020, because of the Corona crisis. I could not obtain a refund, as the BA website and telephone service made this impossible, it just sent me round in circles. So I opted for a Future Travel Voucher, as this could be obtained via the website. I have now tried to use the voucher for a flight to Munich, and was informed by the website that I have to call BA for this. The Silver card member phone number is inaccessible, as BA has reduced telephone access to one number. I have now called this number five times, each time I was told to call at another time, as 'in these difficult times, they had to protect staff'. This is exactly the same message that I received the many times I called for a refund. Is BA not honouring their voucher system, trying to fob off customers and keep their money? This is appalling business practice!
RouteLondon Heathrow to Lyon
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"efficient, clean and punctual"

Trip Verified | A short hop from London to Edinburgh in November 2019 - efficient, clean and punctual. The airport experience was straightforward and I think flying from City you get simplicity but miss out on the bigger aircraft which are a bit more comfortable. I got my luggage quickly at the other end and I appreciated having a wide range of flight times to choose from.
AircraftEmbraer 195
RouteLondon City to Edinburgh
Date FlownNovember 2019

" Total rip off"

Trip Verified | Total rip off. British Airways cancels flights due to Pandemic Covid 19. When i use the voucher they issued me they want me to pay a additional $1000 for a first class seat. British Airways way to rip people off and profit from a world pandemic.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteSan Francisco to Edinburgh via London
Date FlownMay 2020

"totally ripped off by BA"

Not Verified | I booked flights to Rome from the US and then home through London to LAX in February of this year for the 1st of August. I booked through American Airlines, and then I paid for seat selection for 3 people through the BA website, paying US $951 in total. With the pandemic, it is now impossible for me and my group to travel to Italy and England on this trip as (1) we are not allowed to travel outside the US, (2) as Americans we are not allowed to travel to Italy or England, and (3) the US government has not processed one of the passport renewal we need to fly which was mailed in early February. I had to cancel all of our hotels, AirB&Bs, car and train reservations over the last week in order to qualify to obtain refunds and/or vouchers. I’ve tried to reach British Airways customer service a number of times, finally got through today after an hour on hold. I asked how to obtain a refund or voucher for the business class seat selection that I had paid for and was told that I will lose the money I paid, that there are no refunds or vouchers allowed, because I booked the trip through American Airlines and not through British Airways. My understanding is that BA and AA have a partnership that should make it relatively seamless to book and travel on either or both partners, though I was shocked at having to pay nearly $1000 just to reserve our seats in business class, but this is apparently not the case. I was told that if BA cancels the two flights that we are booked on that I might be able to get either a voucher or a refund. I was prepared today to accept a voucher that I could use when I rebook this trip for 2021, as I understand that BA (and all airlines) are suffering financially as much as I am, but I was not prepared to be totally ripped off by BA. I cannot wait until the first flight is supposed to fly, August 1st, to cancel this as I will lose the money and miles I paid American Airlines for this flight. I am at a loss as to what I can do to handle a situation that is totally out of my control and for which an airline partner that I valued traveling on is refusing to offer a voucher or a refund. I will never again do anything that gives revenue to British Airways.
RouteRome to Los Angeles via London
Date FlownJune 2020

"tickets should have been refunded"

Trip Verified | I booked a trip to Spain for mid-March 2020 with American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia. I needed to cancel this flight due to the pandemic and travel ban to Europe that began in March. I was able to change my flight at no cost, which is great, but given the fact that my flight left the day the travel ban began, those tickets should have been refunded. If I were to have boarded that flight, I would have been quarantined in Europe and would have faced a mandatory quarantine upon re-entry to the US IF I were able to return at all. The fact that British Airways did not cancel this flight is beyond me since I do not know who in their right mind would have traveled to Spain with the travel ban enforced. The response I received from British Airways is that it does not matter the reason, unless they cancel the flight, no refund or voucher is available. I'm very disappointed in the response from them during a global pandemic and will not book another flight with them.
RouteChicago to Seville via Miami / Madrid
Date FlownMarch 2020

"unable to offer a full refund"

Trip Verified | I booked London to Tel Aviv in Jan 2020, to attend a school reunion. I booked economy. BA then sent me an upgrade offer which i accepted at an additional £500. So I would fly Premium in the new plane. Covid hit and they cancelled the flight. No fault of theirs. Their subsequent behaviour, was all their fault! After a mammoth effort to contact them, i was offered a full refund. This took months and many calls to get, and they deducted £150 as a service fee for the upgrade. Calls and e-mails all result in the same robotic response. As you made a post booking change we are unable to offer a full refund.
RouteLondon to Tel Aviv
Date FlownApril 2020

"no refund or voucher"

Not Verified | I booked my honeymoon flight from San Diego to Barcelona in September 2020. I have since needed to cancel this flight due to the pandemic and the uncertainty of travel, especially to other countries. I was able to change my flight at no cost, which is great. However, this is my honeymoon and I paid in advance for seats to ensure I sat next to my would be wife. This was more than $1,000 in additional cost. The response I received from British Airways is that it does not matter the reason, unless they cancel the flight, no refund or voucher is available. I then asked if I wanted to make sure I sat next to my would be wife, they expected me to pay again? The answer was yes. I'm very disappointed in the response from them during a global pandemic, where travel is not safe and we have no idea when it will be safe again.
RouteSan Diego to Barcelona via London
Date FlownDecember 2019

"withholding my money"

Trip Verified | This company is withholding my money after cancelling my flight due to the pandemic and have issued me a voucher. Even though I called to explain why a voucher is useless since we are under a travel bane. Initially, they had said no refunds, the only thing to do was get a voucher. After we had ordered they announce you can get refund if flight is cancelled and you don’t have voucher.
RouteToronto to London
Date FlownMay 2020

"all about money with them"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to London. 12 hours without anything to eat because the sandwich I was given was inedible. There was no bar service and soft drinks were pitiful with orange running out after a matter of hours. Total waste of money having paid for Premium Economy. I am aware it was the beginning of the Covid19 issues but the situation was appalling and has been made worse by a total lack of follow up service from British Airways. Their attitude is unacceptable - it is all about money with them.
RouteTokyo to London
Date FlownMarch 2020

"arrived 3 hrs 25 mins late"

Trip Verified | Flight BA 282 on 11 February was delayed 173 mins due to mechanical in London and so I misconnected at London Heathrow and arrived 3 hrs 25 mins late. I requested compensation and was refused - for three e-mails they told me my flight to London was delayed 173 mins (under the 180 mins floor) and I continued to reply that I did not fly to London but to Paris and arrived 205 mins late. Then they started writing that I was able to make my original connexion which is untrue. I don't know whether to fault their greed at persisting in this lie or their incompetence.
RouteLos Angeles to Paris via London

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL