British Airways

"my question never answered"

Trip Verified | Leeds Bradford to Las Vegas via Heathrow. Customer services handling of my question never answered it. Three times I asked them to explain why the cost of my one checked bag caused the fare to increase over £100 on the outbound flight. This was before any increase other than the increase announced for the short LBA LHR fare. I asked why the fare was so much when I could have booked a seat for the bag for about £50. The response was we are doing what everyone else is doing. They never could explain why the fare increased by over £100 when I indicated one checked bag. I asked to speak with someone but that was never responded to. Book LHR LAS at that time and one bag included. Customer service apparently did not understand what I was asking because the answer provided was non-responsive.
RouteLeeds Bradford to Las Vegas via Heathrow
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"the worst experience"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Dallas to London Heathrow in First Class. This is the worst experience I have had on a flight. The crew was indifferent and unresponsive, and treated you more like you were a nuisance to them. There was even less service from this so called first class crew than you get in tourist class in most airlines. The attitude and service of the crew was abysmal. When you have average food and wine on offer and a rather outdated cabin in first class, at least you should prioritize service as your competitive advantage to your full paying customers. This was nothing but a waste of money. I doubt very much I will go back to British Airways again.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteDallas to London Heathrow
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Effectively a budget airline"

Trip Verified | Tenerife to Heathrow. Effectively a budget airline masquerading at premium airline prices. Have flown several budget airlines in the past which have offered far more in terms of value for money and service. Seats are rigid and I felt as if I was leaning forward for the the majority of the flight. When I tried to put my seat back to recline, I estimate it moved around 5 degrees. Leg room is also non existent. M&S food ran out halfway through the 5 hour flight and although cabin crew were apologetic, for food to run out during a lunchtime flight is inexcusable and highlights how badly the airline is being managed by the upper echelons. Furthermore, several other budget airlines at the airport had flights leaving directly from the terminal requiring no bussing of passengers. BA again in a move to save money opt for bussing passengers to the far reaches of the airport to avoid paying extra charges for utilising direct access from airport terminals. Can't fault the staff onboard who are clearly dedicated to the BA brand. They are professional, friendly and courteous. It's clear that British Airways are not the airline they once were and I hope that passengers begin to vote with their feet as drastic changes are needed to bring the airline back to its former glory.
RouteTenerife to Heathrow

"such a poor product"

Trip Verified | Heathrow to Larnaca - departed on time, flight nearly full. M&S food available to passengers ran out while cabin crew were half way down the aisle. Larnaca to Heathrow - two messages received while in Larnaca airport - the flight would be delayed by over an hour-departure was supposed to be at 7.15 pm but we took off nearer to 9 pm. The second message was that there was no food to be served on the flight, "we recognise that this does not meet with the standards you expect from us". The flight was 5 hours long-so this combination of a delayed departure and no food available on board is totally unacceptable - worse than a budget airline. A midnight arrival at Heathrow was then compounded by off loading cargo before the passengers because of a "balance problem". In addition I was incorrectly charged Eur 75 on the return leg for my case - it was clearly the same case that I travlled out to Cyprus with but the system identified it as extra baggage. Cattle class is an under rated description of the service offered to customers. The only saving grace was the cabin crew-particularly the Customer Service Manager-who promised to follow up the baggage issue and logged my complaint. It will take ages to resolve but he was helpful and pleasant throughout. How British Airways can offer such a poor product and expect people to keep flying with them is beyond me.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Larnaca Cyprus
Date FlownMarch 2019

"a good product and service"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to London. A very enjoyable and comfortable flight on the new recliner seat set up on the 787. BA have raised their game and provides a superior seat to make for a relaxed flight . If you are travelling solo a retractable divider gives you privacy from your neighbour. Only problem is the 2x3x2 layout is one too many seats across, as it leaves two very narrow gangways; if you have an aisle seat in the "turn right" section in Business Class you will be constantly whacked unintentionally(?) by Economy section passengers with their carry-ons when boarding. Food and drinks were excellent, with courses served separately and the wine bottle frequently produced by flight attendants who gave a great service to their passengers. Entertainment choice also excellent with a film choice for everyone. Thanks also to two people most of us forget - the flight crew who got us safely to Heathrow 15 minutes early and put the plane down so gently we hardly noticed we had arrived! Well done BA for providing such a good product and service.
RouteLos Angeles to London
Date FlownMarch 2019

"missed my connecting flight"

Trip Verified | London to Phoenix, BA289 yesterday. The plane was supposed to land at 1835. However, it landed at 1940. Because of this I missed my connecting flight to Ontario, California aboard American Airlines. By the time I was able to go through custom and pick up my luggage, it was already 2030. The flight departs at 2037. I went to the ground crew of American Airlines, they told me that I will not be able to make it to my connecting flight as they are already on the runway. They then directed me to British Airways. I went to the ground attendant of British Airways and she told me to go back to American Airlines to get it re booked. I went back to American Airlines then they told me again to back to British Airways since they are they the one who caused the delay. I went back to British Airways with the American Airlines supervisor. The British Airways attendant gave me a card with the customer service number and told me to call them in the morning. She did not offer any explanations or anything. American Airlines said we can re booked it for tomorrow morning but they did not offer any accommodation. I ended up getting my own car rental and drove from Phoenix to California in the middle of the night since I was not able to resolve this issues with both airlines.
RouteLondon to Phoenix
Date FlownMarch 2019

"wouldn't allow change of dates"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to London. After paying £4000 for flights which I had to cancel, they wouldn't allow any change of dates or change of name, and after all that wouldn't give me the Avios points because I wont be on the flight.
RouteSan Francisco to London
Date FlownApril 2018

"online website is very clear"

Trip Verified | Rome to London. One of the best European airlines to travel with for short haul flights. The online website is very clear and easy to use. Check-in procedure was smooth. The gate was very close to the shopping area. Boarding the flight was very well organised and quick and through the airbridge. The only negative aspect is that you will need to pay for a drink, as they don’t serve anything free on all European routes.
RouteRome to London
Date FlownMarch 2019

"No online check-in available"

Trip Verified | Cologne to Gatwick in economy class with an silver status BA card. No online check-in available. BA website suggests passenger to arrive at the airport 3 hours before flight departure but airport check-in (the only available option) starts 2 hours before departure. No lounge available (there is a lounge in the terminal open to other airline customers, except BA). No priority boarding for Business and elite level passengers. Boarding the plane by bus. Not even free water on board in economy.
RouteCologne to Gatwick

"won't reimburse me"

Trip Verified | Tampa to Gatwick. I paid to have my seats bumped up to business class and when I got to the airport they wouldn't let me on the flight because someone on their side messed up when they booked my seats, so instead of honoring my seats they just sat there for an hour telling me they can't do anything and I can't get on the plane. They waited till the very last second before the check in period closed to reissue my tickets and won't reimburse me for the seats that I paid for, but never received.
RouteTampa to Gatwick

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG). Since 2016 British Airways has been implementing cost-cutting across many parts of the customer product, with the 4-Star Airline rating held by BA for many years under review.

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL