Austrian Airlines

"my luggage missed connecting flight"

Trip Verified | London to Dubrovnik via Vienna. Flight delayed in London and with short layover in Vienna making the connection was at risk. When asked onboard, flight attendants had no idea about connections. Shortly before landing advised gate number for connecting flight and simply said Run. Ended up making the connecting flight, however, my luggage missed connecting flight in Vienna as Austrian Airlines failed to tag it advising of connection, let alone this having a short connection time. Obviously airline knew where bag was when filing claim in Dubrovnik. Initial information was for luggage to arrive that night via Zagreb. Later had to find out bag was sent to Munich for a day before onward journey to Dubrovnik. As a result bag won't arrive at destination until more than 36 hours late, whereas sending it on the same flight a day later would've been faster and the sensible thing to do. What's worse is there's no-one to talk to, everything is just done via forms on their website, including any compensation claims. Terrible service and an airline to avoid at all cost!
RouteLondon to Dubrovnik via Vienna
Date FlownOctober 2018

"unable to do web check-in"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | I have never encountered such terrible service, with very little desire to help. I am booked to fly New York to Vienna Vienna economy premium. For some reason, I was unable to do web check-in and reserve my seat in advance. Contacted their customer support and was answered that this is an optional service that I don’t have to take advantage of. When I tried messaging online, I was answered that no window seat is available because everything was already taken. When I asked to use my miles and upgrade to business, I was told that I should contact Miles and More. Deeply disappointed even before going on the flight.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteNew York to Vienna
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"moved us to different seats"

(Cyprus)

Trip Verified | Travelling in a group of three with three different reservations, we pre-selected our seats, paying 17 Euros each in order to be able to seat together. Upon checking we realised that they had allocated two of the seats to other passengers and had moved us to different seats (of the same category). Their call centre they advised that they are only able to guarantee the seat category (i.e. aisle, middle or window) and not the seat number. Both the cabin crew and the ground staff seem uninterested. The Senator Lounge in Vienna was a major disappointment.
RouteLarnaca to Vienna
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"efficient and very friendly"

Trip Verified | Very good Business Class Product with great food. The late night flight from Vienna to Bangkok was very nice with a lot of Austrian Culture and "Specialities" on Board. Austrian Airlines has a chef on board in business class: the food - especially the Austrian Dishes - was very good and very different from the usual airline food. The "Tafelspitz" from veal was one of the best dishes I have ever enjoyed on a flight. And all the special Coffee Dishes on offer: one felt like being in a Coffee House in Vienna. The staff were very Austrian, very efficient and very friendly with all the charm and friendliness of Austrian hospitality. The entertainment system had a limited offering: Especially the classical music section was very disappointing: No opera, no operette, no symphony from Mozart, Beethoven, Strauss? The Seat was fine, but not very comfortable in the bed position. All in all as outstanding and unforgettable Experience of Austrian hospitality up in the Air!
RouteVienna to Bangkok

Austrian Airlines customer review

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Vienna. Even though flight were on time the service seemed unprofessional and unorganised. One of the hostess was so rude. Me and my friend were asking for food she neither spoke with us nor say anything. She just brought us food after that she even say nothing. Her attitude was wired. After our lunch we had to wait 20-30 minute so that some one will come and pick up our empty tray.
RouteLos Angeles to Vienna
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"expect to be treated better"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Toronto. As a Star Alliance Gold member I expect to be treated better but instead worse than anybody else. Not only was I seated at row 30 and on an aisle seat which the airline claimed it was the best they could do but also they did not wait for my connection which was late not helped in any way to make things at least inconvenient as possible. Also they should be more precise with their information about how many luggage are allowed without charge for Star Alliance Gold members and not charge them when they claim 2 are allowed when in reality none are allowed. This is called false advertising.
AircraftB767
RouteVienna to Toronto

"no inflight entertainment"

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to London via Vienna. I'd heard good things about Austrian Airlines, so was keen to try them out - I was however thoroughly disappointed. Selling themselves as being a full service airline, with fares to match - I would have expected the onboard experience to be much better. In terms of food/drink on the 4 hour flight from Tel Aviv we were served a small plate of pasta, along with warm beer and drinks poured into cups from cans - no spirits at all. The seating on the board is incredibly hard and uncomfortable, they offer no inflight entertainment on 3hr 40 mins flight. Connection in Vienna was unnecessarily chaotic and we arrived into Heathrow about 40 minutes late. I won't be flying with Austrian Airlines again, incredibly disappointing and average airline.
RouteTel Aviv to London via Vienna

"lengthy verification procedure"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Geneva. I appreciate Austrian in many ways. However one small thing could be definitely improved which is the lengthy verification procedure when accessing the senator launch. In all other places boarding pass with the status printed on the boarding pass is fine. Austrian requires status passengers to show their status card in addition. This is not only not logical it also is inconvenient. Perhaps somebody from Austrian may want to pay attention to this.
RouteVienna to Geneva

"I had 2kg overweight"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Overpriced airline with no extra service. Paid €350 for a flight from Innsbruck to Split via Vienna not including hand luggage. I had 2kg overweight (10kg instead of 8kg) and the only option they gave me is pay 40€ more for one direction (so €80 in total). Very disappointing service.
RouteInnsbruck to Split via Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2018

"crew were very attentive and helpful"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Manchester. Boarding went smoothly and was very efficiently done by the ground staff. Legroom on the A320 could have been better but was enough for a 2 hour flight. The crew were very attentive and helpful. From take-off to landing, they were working non-stop serving us drinks and snacks and dealing with all of our requests. We were offered a choice of a sweet or savoury snack along with refreshments. (We were given two drinks the first time, one from the first crew and one from the second). We were then given refreshments again 20 minutes later, which is not something that would be done on many European airlines. Austrian’s service in-flight is outstanding and their crew is very friendly, it is an absolute joy to fly with them.
RouteVienna to Manchester