Austrian Airlines

"I was late for my flight"

Trip Verified | I had a terrible experience with Austrian airlines. I was flying from Florence to Yerevan. In Florence I arrived at the airport 2 hours in advance for the check-in and I was put on standby. I was denied a second boarding pass from Vienna to Yerevan and had to make last minute arrangements but was allowed for boarding in Florence during the last 5 minutes. The lady responsible for boarding gave a second boarding pass stressing that the boarding is at a certain hour. Our flight had a delay and we arrived in Vienna later than we were supposed to. The airport was empty, no information desks, the screens with gates were very rare. I was late for my flight for several minutes. No one has called my name or tried to reach me out. Eventually I was not allowed on board, my trip was rebooked for a more expansive price than if I purchased a new ticket online. The issue is not even the money but rather the attitude and rudeness performed. This was the worst experience of a flight I have ever experienced in my life.
RouteFlorence to Yerevan via Vienna
Date FlownMay 2022

"do your antibodies test and come back"

Trip Verified | My review is on the incompetence of the airport staff. I almost lost my flight connection, and got put thru an ordeal. I had all my vaccinations records, double vaccines and busters, plus I had COVID in January and recovered with pcr records to prove. They denied me boarding at the connection coming back to US. They told me go out they Terminal 1 across there is a health care facility and do your antibodies test and come back, otherwise we are Not boarding you. I had to do all that in 40 min (keep in mind the fact that I entered Austrian land and had to go thru customs again )! I was soaking in sweat and hardly holding my breath! So unnecessary, especially since they emailed me the requirements and I was more then fine! There incompetence put me thru misery and they knew they screwed up! For what? To cash 35 euros for the test? I’ll think twice before using this airline!!
RouteBucharest to Newark via Vienna
Date FlownMay 2022

"Seats are tight like easyJet"

Trip Verified | Brands itself is premium but offers little worse exp than Norwegian. Seats are tight like easyJet (priced double naturally), boarding requires a specific mask which is naturally not provided by the airline, atmosphere is Army-Style in general. App is quite good, staff in planes friendly. Feels like it's a badly managed airline trying desperately to be premium without the management willingness to do that.
RouteLarnaca to Berlin via Vienna
Date FlownApril 2022

"this is terrible quality of service"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | There were no information after the the delayed flight was landed and transfer passengers to some destinations also were missing the flight. Neither signs or persons to inform the delayed passenger. And missing the flight with no proper assistance from the airline immediately. After found the airline service counter, the staffs are not responding in polite and responsible manner. I’m not a difficult flyer but this is terrible quality of service.
RouteBangkok to Zurich via Vienna
Date FlownApril 2022

"Never book a flight with Austrian"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | We will never ever book a flight through Austrian Airlines again. Today is April 5 and we are supposed to take off on April 7 but we are so nervous regarding this flight so we can´t even sleep in the nights. We are going from Palma de Mallorca to Phuket, Thailand via Munich and Bangkok. Our first long haul trip in 2 years because of the Covid situation in the world and we was so much looking forward to this but Austrian have destroyed our feelings... 4 times they have change our flights ending up with unreasonable waiting times at different airports. Today they change the flight again. They again confirmed Palma to Munich but have cancelled the flight between Munich and Bangkok and confirmed the flight between Bangkok and Phuket and hope this is okay for us. What do they expect us to do ? After hours in phone (we have to wait between 1-3 hours every time we want to contact them before anyone take the call and this by international calls, expensive) Each time we ask them to take our phone number because often the conversation is interrupted but they just say "we don´t call our costumers" and the conversations are often interrupted. Finally we got our flight between Munich and Bangkok back. We have booked business class all the way but they have changed Bangkok to Phuket to economy class. We said we want our business class back or refund the money for the price different but they say we have to contact their cooperation airline in Thailand, Thai smile for this despite we have booked the flight with Austrian. We called Thai smile (in Thailand, not cheap) and they say you have to contact Austrian airlines because you have booked your flights with them which seems reasonable so back to Austrian again. After several attempts we have to give up for today. Never book a flight with Austrian Airlines. This is horrible and we can´t understand that a company like this still exist !
RoutePalma to Bangkok via Munich

"Very bad experience"

Trip Verified | It is a very good company if you like to spend time in an airport: a simple 8 hours trip to Canada is magically transformed into a one day delay of the trip (because of the "covid" of course, but if you ask why the "covid" shifts the flight: no answer. A delay of 3 hours in the flight (obviously we warn once we are in the airport) A coffee was offered. You have to use FFP2 masks while the staff wears a surgical mask. Very bad experience.
RouteParis to Montreal via Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2022

"should be categorized as a low budget airline"

(Armenia)

Not Verified | On the 26th February, I purchased a business class upgrade in Yerevan, Armenia for $543 from Frankfurt to Miami. The flight from Yerevan was delayed causing me to miss my connection from Vienna to Frankfurt. The service at the Austrian counter was a fiasco as you can see in the pictures. A lot of angry passengers and hardly any staff to assist them. I was rerouted from Vienna to New York and purchased a second business class upgrade for $584.03. The agent at the desk said she couldn’t credit my card, but gave me the contact information and reassured me that they would take care of it since it was a result of the airline’s delay from Yerevan to Vienna. I filed a claim online and received a response that upgrades are non-refundable and against their policy. In addition to being extremely poor customer service, this is a blatant horrible response since Austrian caused the problem and was more than willing to charge me for a second upgrade on the same trip. I paid $2555.47 for Economy Flex which was a complete waste of money. Seating was the same and I did not get a refund for the business class upgrade. This is a deceptive business practice. I purchased a 3rd business class upgrade on the 3rd March for $599 from Miami to Frankfurt, bring the total cost to $4081.49 for a round trip airfare. This is a ridiculous amount of money to pay a company that could care less about their passengers. They also managed to lose my suitcase and sent it back to Vienna for some reason. It was delivered to my hotel 5 days after my arrival. The inept handling of this issue came as no surprise. Since this was a short trip, I opted to use Austrian Airlines to cut travel times rather than using my usual carrier, Qatar Airways and routing through Doha to get to the U.S. By contrast, their service is consistently stellar. Austrian should be categorized as a low budget airline charging exorbitant prices for mediocre experiences at best.
RouteYerevan to Miami via Vienna / Frankfurt
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"My group was refused boarding"

Trip Verified | Avoid Austrian Airlines, they will cost you more than you think. My group was refused boarding on Austrian Airlines flights from Amsterdam to Sofia via Vienna in March 2022 as we had not had COVID PCR tests. We had checked all website information for the destination countries as well as Austrian Airlines own site. These tests were not required as we were all fully vaccinated with the required documentation. We showed the online information and our immunisation documentation to the check in staff – but they insisted we got the test. So we got the tests, missed the flight, and had to rebook. Costs were over 1700 euros (the urgent COVID tests are not cheap). Austrian Airlines have apologised, but claim they were following their procedures, and refuse to reimburse a cent.
RouteAmsterdam to Sofia via Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2022

"I asked for their help, but they just didn't care!"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | I fly at least 6 times a year with different companies, and this company is the worst. I think the charter companies are much better. I fly with 2 small children. We especially bought seats for extra coast! The day before we could not make a check in, we called the company and were told by a representative that he cannot fix it in the computer but there will not be any problem because we bought seats. When we arrived to the airport we had to stand in line for an hour and a half with 2 small children (one is a baby) because we did not have a check in. Eventually the girl at the desk told us that they changed the plane and our seats are gone, and they have to separate us! A family with 2 small children after we bought seats! I asked for their help, but they just didn't care! When we arrived to the plane, surprise it was the same plane that we booked our seats to, nothing was really changed. The behavior of the crew on board, if you speak German your first class passenger if not, than they don't care! Stay away from these airlines.
AircraftEmbraer 195
RouteGeneva to Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2022

"tell me I called too late for the re-booking"

Trip Verified | I booked a ticket and had to to have a flight rescheduled. I had to call and write multiple (10+) times, in order to get it done, they were basically playing “hot potato” between “call us” and “email us”. The instructions were always different. Reschedule by this date X, oh no, sorry, can’t be done, call us by date Y (which was after date X). Then I call after date Y and they try gaslighting me and tell me I should have called by date X. Since I had emails from them, I called them out on it. After the 10+calls/emails back and forth they finally confirm me the rescheduling and told me that I will soon got my tickets. 3 weeks later I still haven’t gotten any new tickets. I call and they tell me “yes, it might take up to 1 month for us to do the re-booking, but everything is fine”. 1.5 months pass and still no tickets. I call back and again: they tell me I called too late for the re-booking and it was not possible anymore. I called them out on their BS (I had everything in writing) and I told them that they had already confirmed my reschedule and told me (twice) everything was fine. And then they told me “oh the other agent did a mistake, it’s not possible to do the re-booking” and basically told me to get lost, all the while (obviously) keeping my money for the tickets and not allowing me to re-schedule.
RouteZurich to Vienna