Austrian Airlines

"requesting compensations of 600 euros"

(Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Trip Verified | Zagreb to Brussels via Vienna. Flight delayed for more than 4h, lost connection for next the flight, and finally lost luggage. On the top of extremely bad service is that nobody cares! They did not reply to my email complaint, requesting compensations of 600 euros for the delay. Never flying with them again.!
RouteZagreb to Brussels via Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2019

"I had a great experience"

Trip Verified | Washington to Vienna. I'm happy to share that I had a great experience with Austrian Airlines. I was especially worried because I had my dog down in cargo and it was one of the hottest days of the summer back in DC. The staff was very professional and kind when answering my questions about my dog's well being. The flight was smooth and I was quickly reunited with my animal!
RouteWashington to Vienna

"display of indifference"

Not Verified | Vienna to Reykjavík. Will never fly again. They lost luggage on a Nonstop flight and were unapologetic about it and have given no updates on the status of the luggage nearly 24 hrs later. Their customer service Dept is argumentative and completely unhelpful. An astonishing display of indifference to consumers.
RouteVienna to Reykjavík
Date FlownJuly 2019

"no need to pay for extra legroom"

Not Verified | We flew on Austrian round trip to Vienna from New York (and also round trip Vienna to Berlin). In general the flights were OK and the crew polite except for one steward on the return to New York. The review is for the transatlantic flights. The seat legroom is fine and looked like 32 inches; so there is no need to pay $100 for extra legroom. Not many airlines still offer 32 inches so that impressed me. Excess luggage fees are atrocious!. We were charged $150 for 3 kilos excess weight. British / American charge $65 and Air Canada $100. As Austrian has a monopoly on the New York to Vienna nonstop route the air fare was high in April / May at $1,250. In addition they charge about $35 to pick a seat. If you change the seat you have to pay $35 again. However we were not charged on the Vienna to Berlin legs. The entertainment was good and easy to use. I enjoyed the choice of music. One can pay 15 Euros for a better meal. The chicken cutlet I ordered was very good. However the regular meals are good but tiny. The snack on our return included half a sandwich with practically nothing inside! The crews were very friendly except for a rude Steward on our return. He missed us with the bread and we had to get his attention. He kept on ignoring us. Finally we had to talk loud and he got very upset. He also missed the drink service to the two passengers in front of us. They had to ask another crew member for a drink. We were very impressed by an air hostess called Maria who was delightful. However just one bad crew member can give a bad impression. Had it not been for him I would give them a 5 rating for cabin staff; due to him I will drop it to a 3.
RouteNew York to Vienna
Date FlownMay 2019

"experience made me rethink my choices"

Trip Verified | Washington to Vienna. The inflatable business class seat was not holding air on our outbound flight from IAD to VIE. The called technician was not able to resolve the issue. The plane was fully booked so there was no possibility to get reseated. Had to sit/lay on a seat that felt like concrete on an 8-hour flight. The entertainment system wouldn't work either. It was randomly jumping to the end/middle of a movie which made watching a movie impossible. Food/cabin service is great otherwise but certainly doesn't make up for the defects of equipment on this flight. Worst experience (in brief) with customer service after the flight: - the inflatable seat was broken and the entertainment system didn't work - ok thank you, we'll let the service team know - could you please provide me with a copy of the boarding pass (which we needed for mileage credit) - nope - could you at least please provide me with a confirmation of the booking class (see above) - nope - the agent kept offering a copy of the flight confirmation in exchange for a passport copy/power of attorney for my husband which I didn't need as this was originally attached to my service case. It didn't help to point out that this was something I already had. I consider this as a gross defect of promised services but there was no consideration for a very bad business class experience, no compensation/goodwill was offered and there was no willingness to resolve the situation without escalation. This was my preferred airline so far. This experience made me rethink my choices.
AircraftB767
RouteWashington to Vienna
Date FlownJune 2019

"customer service is awful"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Munich. A completely different experience from Lufthansa. Phone and ground staff are flippant and have a complete lack of empathy for customers. Reservations lost, ticketing errors, flight delays, and the list goes on. My worst interaction was a ground “supervisor” in VIE who lied about the details of my reservation and almost caused me to miss my flight. Their customer service is awful.
RouteVienna to Munich
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Not a lot of consideration for passengers"

Not Verified | We had a transfer in Vienna from Dubrovnik to go further to Amsterdam (final stop). We only had a 55 minute transfer time. The plane, in Dubrovnik, was delayed almost an hour which led us to missing the Amsterdam transfer. The pilot and cabin crew told us we would not miss our flight and barely updated us on the Amsterdam plane. The ground crew were incredibly rude and seemed to not care at all. At the information desk, they provided us with a flight 2 hours later. However, we were told with 100% guarantee our luggage would also be on that flight. When we arrived to Amsterdam, however, the luggage was not there and they told us it is most likely still in Vienna. Not a lot of consideration for passengers who have a transfer. Would not fly with them again. Furthermore, it is not possible to check-in online despite receiving an email asking us to do so.
RouteDubrovnik to Amsterdam Schiphol via Vienna
Date FlownJuly 2019

"partly or seriously delayed"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | I had 5 flights with Austrian in June (VIE-GVA, GVA-VIE, VIE-CDG, VIE-LHR, OTP-VIE), with only one of them being on time, all the others were partly or seriously delayed. The worst was the one from Vienna to Paris, with a delay of almost 90 minutes. In Addition, now that holiday season started in Austria, they seem to have a problem with groudhandling / baggage delivery at VIE. Lastly, arriving from Bucharest, it took them 45 minutes from the opening of the doors until actual delivery of the baggage which means we had to wait around 35 minutes at the delivery belt. Otherwise, waiting times between 15 and 20 minutes are normal for Austrian in VIE, so the do have an issue here. The flights themselves were ok, nothing special. Cabin staff was very friendly and tried to make up for the deficiencies of their ground Services.
RouteVienna to Paris
Date FlownJune 2019

"my preferred European Airline"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Still my preferred European Airline. Check in fast and efficient, had access to Thai Lounge at BKK airport which offered many different drinks and snacks. This time boarding was organised, not common for Austrian. Austrian has its own chef on board which prepares food for business class and it is always delicious. Could sleep 5 hours on this night flight and before landing bacon and eggs have been served as ordered. Landed on time at VIE airport and luggage arrived after 15 minutes. Cabin crew on this flight have been very friendly even they could come around with more drinks during the flight.
RouteBangkok to Vienna
Date FlownJune 2019

"impossible to catch the flight"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Chicago to Bologna via Vienna. My flight OS66 from Chicago to Vienna departed on time, but nevertheless, it was able to arrive late in Vienna. I ran like a crazy to pass through custom and arrive at gate F2 to catch the connection OS547 leaving at 8.55. No way, they did not wait a minute, they closed the gate and I missed the plane. Next plane to Bologna was leaving around 18. One whole day in the airport. I had to apologize to my customers and cancel all our meetings scheduled for that day. As an alternative, Austrian Airlines proposed me to fly to Paris, then back to Bologna arriving at 17 something. I was shocked to hear such a proposal. I also got a fantastic 12 euro voucher for launch, which was not enough to buy a slice of a pie, a coffee, and a drink. I think the whole episode comments itself. The incredible thing is that even if the OS66 arrived on time, it would have been impossible to catch the flight OS547. Let's make a simple calculation: 1 - OS66 was supposed to arrive at 8.25 2 - OS547 was supposed to leave at 8.55, closing the gate around 8.45 3 - OS547 boarding time was 8.25 (same as the arrival of OS66) 4 - In the best scenario, passengers have 15 minutes to run between two terminals, including security check and passport control (impossible unless you can fly, but supposing that you're able to fly, then you wouldn't need airlines). What makes the overall scenario even worse, was that customer support of Austrian Airlines was keeping insisting that the misconnection was generated by "major forces", refusing to admit that 15 minutes available (if OS66 wasn't late) would be never enough. Worse than ever, the next plane was unacceptably late, constraining passengers to lose one whole day of work.
RouteChicago to Bologna via Vienna