Austrian Airlines

"forced to check in our carry on"

Trip Verified | In Dec and Jan, we had a flight from Washington to Tehran via Vienna. Before the flight, I found that there were available seats and I asked an agent to change our seats. She told me it is not possible. I told her that I see the available seats on the online checking. Then, she told me I should wait till the flight. Finally, another agent changed our seats. Low food quality. They have just pasta and chicken. In another flight, there was just semi-warm pasta. They didn’t have sleep mask, shoes, earbuds, and fragile labels for your suitcase. VIE airport was boring and expensive. The boarding of the flight from Vienna to Tehran was not in a boarding corridor; It was in the open-space of airport (VIE) in Vienna’s Winter and we were waiting for 15 minutes to enter the flight. The plane was small and the crew didn’t help the passenger to find space for their carry on. They just watched them. They could ask the passengers to put their backpack and handbag under the seats, instead of putting them in closets. Just smiling without doing anything. When we arrived, we found that one of our luggage was not arrive and we were told it would be delivered in the following days. The IKA security told us that we need to ask the flight manager to come and get them. The flight manager said that they can’t help us. That was the flight policy and we would have to left the frame at the airport. I was lucky that my family was still at the airport. So, I asked them to get the frames from the airport. It was such a pain. Then, we were forced to check in our carry on because there was no space in closets.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A320
RouteWashington to Tehran via Vienna
Date FlownDecember 2019

"connecting flight was not Star Alliance"

Trip Verified | I was at Klagenfurt Airport on January 3rd 2020. I inquired information regarding my flight for January 7th 2020. I was informed by ground crew that I would have enough time to change aircraft for a connecting flight, and I would be checked thru to my final destination which was Philadelphia. As I arrived for my flight on January 6th in Klagenfurt I was met by ground crew and was informed that my connecting flight was not Star Alliance and will not be able to assist me. Further, my flight from Klagenfurt was 30 minutes late, and it took 25 minutes to receive my luggage, which in turn I missed my connecting flight with British Airways. I went to AAS in Vienna, and they informed me that I had to speak to ground crew at the ticket counter as they were able to assist me. I was told that I would need to go back to AAS and book a new ticket. I am not sure where Austrian Airlines receives their Customer service training but it needs serious improvement. Not only were they rude, but not helpful at all.
RouteKlagenfurt to Vienna

"no hotel as promised"

Trip Verified | Our connecting flight from Belgrade to Vienna was delayed leaving us only 10 minutes to board the flight from Vienna to Prague. The ground staff who came to receive and transfer us to the new flight made it clear that the checked in baggage will not be transferred on the onward flight and gave us an option to take the next available flight in the morning with the luggage. After confirmation they also told us that we will be provided accommodation in a hotel. Based on this we chose to wait at Vienna to pick up our checked in luggage and board the morning flight. The ground staff asked us to contact the ticket desk for the tickets and hotels. When we contacted the ticket desk, we were asked to pay 110 Euros each (3 of us) for the next flight and no hotel accommodation as promised. We had to spend money from our pocket and take a Cab to Vienna.
AircraftBombardie
RouteBelgrade to Prague via Vienna

"a symbol of excellence"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | I fly a lot in the Vienna to Tel Aviv route, the flight service is usually fine. Today's flight OS861 from Vienna to Tel Aviv was special thanks to the service manager on board, Barbara. I have never seen such a kind and professional service from a flight service manager. Throughout the flight, she did not rest for a moment and kept asking if I wanted anything more to eat or drink. She is a symbol of excellence in service Well done.
RouteVienna to Tel Aviv
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"friendly and helpful staff"

(Austria)

Not Verified | Athens to Vienna. Exceptional friendly and helpful staff. Planes are very clean and comfortable. No food, just a small snack, and no extra food can be purchased. Free drinks.
RouteAthens to Vienna
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"refuse to offer a refund"

Trip Verified | Newark to Tel Aviv via Vienna. I need to mention that I have flown business class on Austrian and the service, food, seats, flight etc have been amazing; actually one of the best of all European carriers! Our 7 year old daughter was flying on Austrian Airlines as a paid unaccompanied minor on Austrian Airlines from EWR-TLV with a stop in VIE on December 23/24. As we instructed via the documents provided by Austrian Airlines, filled out and signed by us the parents, Our daughter was to be handed over to us the Parents at the TLV airport. Unfortunately there was a serious laps in judgment with Austrian Airlines staff at the TLV airport on December 24 2019. When we met our daughter post immigration at TLV, there was no Austrian Airlines employee to be found. Thankfully my (senior citizen) mother was on the flight in business class and was watching her and had her going through immigration. What I understand and assume to be true is that the Austrian Airlines Employees assumed that our daughter leaving with her grandmother was a safe option, which turned out to be true. However, making this assumption could have turned out to be unsafe and tragic in another circumstance. This is why we gave explicit instructions on her to be handed over to us, her parents. This oversight is unacceptable and no legitimate excuse may or has been be given. We paid $600 fee for the unaccompanied minor fee. We reached out to Austin Airlines. While they profusely apologized, they refuse to offer a refund of any kind, which we believe is owed due to serviced unrendered.
RouteNewark to Vienna

"Very personalized service"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Athens. Very personalized service and food was very good. Plenty of wine selection (2 white & 2 red wine selection) only airline that warm the cup before pouring coffee. Bravo. Even though is a Euro business seating, service makes the difference. Very good Lounge facility with shower availability.
RouteVienna to Athens

"They downgraded me"

(Macedonia)

Trip Verified | Skopje to Viena. They downgraded me from Business to Economy without prior notice. They never even said sorry nor tried to refund.
RouteSkopje to Viena
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"didn't get any of the three bags"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Erbil via Vienna. We checked in three bags.When we arrived to Erbil we didn't get any of the three bags. We wrote a report at the airport in Erbil for missing bags. We wrote an e mail to your airlines without any response. We contacted blueribbonbags insurance company which responded directly and told us that your airline will deliver the bags 3 days after the arrival time to the airport which is Erbil. We stay in another city, the airport has to deliver the bags may be after another day.
AircraftOS318 / OS829
RouteStockholm to Erbil via Vienna

"Do not recommend"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Montreal. The people in Vienna airport or on board of the plane never smiled at me, they are not friendly at all and when you raise a problem they never try to find a solution. The planes are clean but the staff make you having one of the worst experiences. Do not recommend.
RouteVienna to Montreal