Austrian Airlines

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Today, after more than 5 years, I flew Austrian again (Venice to Zurich via Vienna). Have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Crew was young & cheerful; yes, they have BoB but still provide water & Austrian chocolate for free (same as Swiss but I find Austrian chocolate even better). Planes are ageing but very well-maintained. At this stage, Austrian lounge at Vienna provides a to-go bag with sandwiches of your choice (quality is much better compared to those disgusting sandwiches currently offered at the Lufthansa lounges), water & other drinks of your choice, a selection of fresh fruit, coffee &, cappuccino to-go. Clearly, Lufthansa mainline became the worst of the whole Lufthansa Group. Huge shame on the German flag carrier & will try to avoid it at all cost in the future. Not to mention that Frankfurt became one of the worst main airports in Europe, in my opinion.
AircraftBombardier Q400 & A320
RouteVenice to Zurich via Vienna
Date FlownApril 2021

"you have to do it row by row"

Trip Verified | Austrian airlines is an average company, nothing special. You get free drink, meaning free instant coffee. Don’t hope for a meal. A very annoying procedure is to disembark the plane during COVID-19 is that the cabin crew doesn’t allow you to leave all at once, you have to do it row by row. And of course no wifi.
RouteSkopje to Düsseldorf via Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2021

"less than satisfactory"

Trip Verified | Punctual and comfortable trip in widebody aircraft on a 3.5 hr flight. Plane older generation but with refurbished cabin and well-maintained. Biz class seat controls additionally placed next to head in sleeping mode, so you don’t need to drag yourself up to use the armrest controls when you want to readjust to sitting position. Downsides were lack of amenity kit (LH & LX provide these on similar routes), and no meal choice, which is unacceptable. I got a tasteless, super dry pasta dish with burned edges of simply penne covered in cheese. This is the 3rd time this happens on OS so I asked the FA why. Apparently they cater exactly the number of plates as the passengers flying, so the last passengers never get their meal choice. I prefer sitting in the back so no surprise it happens over and over. Also no ice available, no ginger ale, They run through the cabin trying to serve all at once, but who wants coffee or digestif when you barely started your meal. Overall less than satisfactory F&B business class product.
RouteCairo to Vienna
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"a refund of 60% without my consent"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight but could not travel as Covid closed many countries from travellers entering. Austrian Airlines said that there was no limit to my cancellations during Covid and that I could rebook in January 2021 for any flight until December 2021. To my surprise they instead gave me a refund of 60% without my consent. They lied to me saying that I asked for a refund. When I told them to email me evidence of my requisition they said that there is no evidence but they can not do anything about the refund that was given back to me. I lot £120 from them issuing a refund against my wishes.
RouteLondon to Zadar via Vienna
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Friendly teams on board"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | The two segments were done in Embraer planes. Not a lot of passengers on board, good meal on both segments. Friendly teams on board, hot meal and sweet to Vienna, sandwiches and a sweet to Dubrovnik. Choice of beverages including Austrian wines. Luggage in Dubrovnik did arrive quickly.
AircraftEmbraer
RouteBrussels to Dubrovnik via Vienna
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"denied access to the Austrian lounge"

Trip Verified | Flight uneventful. Just a coffee or water on this 1.5h flight, Seat narrow and uncomfortable. Despite being a Star Alliance Gold member, I was denied access to the Austrian lounge. I was told that they do not accept non Austrian or Lufthansa Status members. Priority card holders were happily accepted. Appalling that they contradict their own policies on their website!
RouteVienna to Hamburg
Date FlownAugust 2020

"Crew was friendly"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | The Bombardier Q400 plane was nearly full; what about the 1 meter distance between passengers? Crew was friendly. Pilot made an effort to avoid the major thunderstorms. No docking at ramp, therefore waiting time in plane upon arrival - due to thunderstorm. Carry-on luggage stowage limited in plane.
AircraftBombardier Q400
RouteGeneva to Vienna
Date FlownJuly 2020

"the flights are canceled?"

Trip Verified | Newark to Sarajevo via Vienna. I was waiting to board to Vienna for almost 3 hours that she would call my name for a message, 10 minutes prior the boarding she ask me how can you book a ticket for your final destination Vienna Sarajevo when the flights are canceled? Who told me it’s been canceled who?Did I get a e mail or phone call that is canceled? No. You are telling me 10 minutes prior the boarding that flights are canceled? Boarding was at 4.40 plane should leave at 5.40 and that was at the terminal c gate 65 at the newark airport.
RouteNewark to Sarajevo via Vienna
Date FlownJuly 2020

"crew was friendly"

Trip Verified | The first leg was operated by a propeller aircraft, so most cabin bags had to be checked into the baggage compartment. Only the smallest roller bags and backpacks were allowed. The seats were cramped and uncomfortable, especially if you had someone sitting next to you. Not to mention, that the aircraft is louder than most jet aircraft. We were served a regular snack and drink, like on every economy flight within Europe. After landing in Vienna, luggage handlers were swift in returning the carry-on suitcases. For the second leg, boarding was well organized. The seat had an adjustable headrest, as well as a blanket and pillow waiting for me. Since this was an old Boeing 767, there was no WIFI installed. We took off on time and the crew began serving us right away. Austrian has two hot meal options available to pick from, however, you may pre-order dietary meals online. The IFE was easy to use and headphones were provided. The movie selection was mediocre. Before landing, we were served a cold snack. The flight crew was friendly and everything was on time.
AircraftQ400 / Boeing 767
RouteOdessa to Miami via Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2019

"I was late 5 minutes"

Trip Verified | I was supposed to fly Austrian from Vienna to Budapest. My Air Canada flight from Toronto to Vietnam was 20 minute late I did my best to find the connecting gate, however it was the other side of the airport. I got only 35 minute to get there. I got my boarding pass and run for the gate, there was nobody, I was late 5 minutes. The 5 minutes coast me 7 hours, I got Budapest 6 PM instead of 11 AM.
RouteViena to Budapest