Austrian Airlines

"somebody else in my seat"

Trip Verified | I had a flight from Vienna to Toronto., I got my boarding pass, got to airplane and find my seat, according my boarding pass that my number was clear, somebody else was in my seat. He was with family some kids, one of them had exactly my seat number. The hostess lead me to another seat at door way next to window, it was terrible. I complained plenty of time, asked them to change my seat, but none of them didn’t care about me.
RouteVienna to Toronto

"chose to not upgrade"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Terrible flight from Copenhagen to Vienna on 13 Apr 2019 at 0710. Austrian Airlines overbooked the flight and did not communicate overbooked flight to any passengers nor ask for volunteers to be rebooked to another flight for a compensation. Ground staff at the gate did not provide any communication of what will happen to any of the 9 people who did not get seat allocation. In the end, 5 of the 9 people managed to get seat allocations. The remaining 4 of the 9 people had to be rebooked to a later flight, even though there were 4 business class seats available. The ground crew chose to not upgrade the 4 people to business class which puzzled even the pilots and flight crew.
RouteCopenhagen to Vienna
Date FlownApril 2019

"It was completely fine"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Flying Austrian Airlines from Vienna to Munich. A short regional flight went exceptionally well. We go a small snack and drinks free of charge, the cabin crew seemed to be nice. It was completely fine.
RouteVienna to Munich
Date FlownMarch 2019

"ticket is economy and not flexible"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Sibiu. I had booked a ticket with Austrian a month prior and called the customer service a week before my flight to reschedule two days earlier. A flight that is not fully booked either on the day I fly nor the day I want to fly. My ticket is economy, no insurance and not flexible. That is why they couldn’t reschedule it for me and I understand.
RouteVienna to Sibiu
Date FlownMarch 2019

"limit carry on weight to 8 kg"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Chicago, connecting with United through Denver to Santa Fe. I have a small backpack for my computer and a standard carry-on compliant suitcase. No problem taking on board coming in all the way to Vienna. Returning, however, I could get my Austrian boarding pass but not my United ones, so I had to stop at the counter. There I was informed that on economy they limit carry on weight to 8 kg. So I had to check my bag to get my boarding passes. On my last trip to Europe, my flight was late and I was stuck in O’Hare with no underwear. So this time I wanted my bag with me. I don’t appreciate them nudging me to check my bags or buy a more expensive fare. They have their policy, but my policy is to avoid vendors who bully their customers.
RouteVienna to Chicago
Date FlownMarch 2019

"miss our connection to Bangkok"

Trip Verified | London to Bangkok via Vienna. OS 456 from LHR on 20/01/19, the pilot announced that due to an on board computer error we could not take off, and yet Austrian said the reason for the delay was air traffic control. Therefore not technical and beyond there control. They are in breach of EU regulations. Not only did we miss our connection to Bangkok as our London flight was delayed, but arriving in Vienna at 11.30pm the airport was deserted, it took us over an hour to find anyone who could tell us anything and eventually we found a hotel and were transferred to Thai airways for the following day. To sum up we arrived in Bangkok 15 hours later than scheduled.Customer care is shocking in terms of communication at the airport. All such a pity because in the air their service was quite good.
RouteLondon to Bangkok via Vienna

"they lost her luggage"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | My wife flew TAP Portugal New York to Zurich and then Austrian Airlines to Vienna and they lost her luggage going and coming. I wouldn't be writing this review if it weren't for the fact that they haven't found her luggage after losing it on the return flight. They seemed very helpful at the beginning but after a week they suddenly dropped all intent to look for her luggage. I have tried to contact them by phone and by email but their Central Baggage Tracing Office has disconnected their number and their email responses say the same thing. The sub-department for Lost Luggage will also not pick up their phones- I am writing this while on hold for the seventh time and the longest I have been on hold was 40 minutes. I would not advise flying Austrian Airlines.
RouteZurich to Vienna
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"would highly recommend them"

Trip Verified | London to Bangkok via Munich / Vienna. Lufthansa 2 for 1 tickets in business gave me an opportunity to try out Lufthansa long haul. Note, the long haul part of this journey was operated by Austrian Airlines. Lufthansa A320 to MUC was average for intra European business class, crew was engaging and friendly and the food was good. Entertainment was non-existing but WiFi was available but not used. MUC to VIE was operated by Austrian with a A320. Despite the short flight a really tasty snack was served by a very friendly and engaging crew. Seat were standard intra European seats. The flight was slightly delayed as the inbound flight was late but we managed to land only 10 min behind schedule in VIE. VIE was mostly closed when we went through it and boarding had started when we arrived at the gate. Boeing 777-200 with fully flat seats and WiFi (not used). Blanket, pillow and amenity kit was waiting at the seat and a welcome drink was served quickly. The cabin looked fairly new and was clean. Seats were comfortable and great both sitting and lying down. The food choices were great and the food tasty. Dinner was served quickly after take off to allow people sleeping and breakfast cards ensured you could get maximum sleep. The entertainment system was very good, simple to operate and featured a good selection of films and tv shows. The starts of this flight though was the crew who were funny and engaging and eager to please. They also came through the cabin regularly to see if anyone needed anything. The flight landed much too soon in BKK. I would highly recommend them.
AircraftA320 / B777
RouteMunich to Bangkok via Vienna

"cancelled my tickets"

Trip Verified | Austrian airlines have cancelled my tickets without providing me any information or update about this. I have discovered this when trying to check in. I was able to buy exact same tickets and even same seats, just 300 dollars more expensive. When contacted them, they only provided me with vague excuses and no compensation.
RouteVienna to Toronto via Frankfurt
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"cabin was clean"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Hamburg with Austrian Airlines. Take off 10 minutes late, but landing 10 minutes ahead of schedule. The cabin was clean and the service from the crew was very good. Selection of hot drinks and a muffin. Overall perfect experience.
RouteVienna to Hamburg