Austrian Airlines

"they lost her luggage"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | My wife flew TAP Portugal New York to Zurich and then Austrian Airlines to Vienna and they lost her luggage going and coming. I wouldn't be writing this review if it weren't for the fact that they haven't found her luggage after losing it on the return flight. They seemed very helpful at the beginning but after a week they suddenly dropped all intent to look for her luggage. I have tried to contact them by phone and by email but their Central Baggage Tracing Office has disconnected their number and their email responses say the same thing. The sub-department for Lost Luggage will also not pick up their phones- I am writing this while on hold for the seventh time and the longest I have been on hold was 40 minutes. I would not advise flying Austrian Airlines.
RouteZurich to Vienna
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"would highly recommend them"

Trip Verified | London to Bangkok via Munich / Vienna. Lufthansa 2 for 1 tickets in business gave me an opportunity to try out Lufthansa long haul. Note, the long haul part of this journey was operated by Austrian Airlines. Lufthansa A320 to MUC was average for intra European business class, crew was engaging and friendly and the food was good. Entertainment was non-existing but WiFi was available but not used. MUC to VIE was operated by Austrian with a A320. Despite the short flight a really tasty snack was served by a very friendly and engaging crew. Seat were standard intra European seats. The flight was slightly delayed as the inbound flight was late but we managed to land only 10 min behind schedule in VIE. VIE was mostly closed when we went through it and boarding had started when we arrived at the gate. Boeing 777-200 with fully flat seats and WiFi (not used). Blanket, pillow and amenity kit was waiting at the seat and a welcome drink was served quickly. The cabin looked fairly new and was clean. Seats were comfortable and great both sitting and lying down. The food choices were great and the food tasty. Dinner was served quickly after take off to allow people sleeping and breakfast cards ensured you could get maximum sleep. The entertainment system was very good, simple to operate and featured a good selection of films and tv shows. The starts of this flight though was the crew who were funny and engaging and eager to please. They also came through the cabin regularly to see if anyone needed anything. The flight landed much too soon in BKK. I would highly recommend them.
AircraftA320 / B777
RouteMunich to Bangkok via Vienna

"cancelled my tickets"

Trip Verified | Austrian airlines have cancelled my tickets without providing me any information or update about this. I have discovered this when trying to check in. I was able to buy exact same tickets and even same seats, just 300 dollars more expensive. When contacted them, they only provided me with vague excuses and no compensation.
RouteVienna to Toronto via Frankfurt
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"cabin was clean"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Hamburg with Austrian Airlines. Take off 10 minutes late, but landing 10 minutes ahead of schedule. The cabin was clean and the service from the crew was very good. Selection of hot drinks and a muffin. Overall perfect experience.
RouteVienna to Hamburg
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Not compensate me"

Trip Verified | London to Newark via Vienna. On arrival at Newark I found my suitcase broken. Took an hour of waiting at ground services to get a supervisor to tell me they couldn’t replace the bag or give me money to get a new one, she agreed the bag was broken, told me she would email insurance claim to Austrian Airlines and I would get reimbursed for new bag when I got home. Despite following up with claim on arrival home Austrian Airlines have told me that without a certificate of irrepairability they will not pay and offered me an e-voucher for a future flight. They are on the opposite side of the world so I will never get to use the voucher. Their we site under baggage damage states you will be given a new bag so they can’t even abide by their own rules. I have found them to be dogmatic in their decision to break my bag and not compensate me after their own ground services representatives told me this is what would happen. No value for money because you are out of pocket for new luggage. Ground staff lie to you and it doesn’t matter what the flight was like, treatment after the flight ruins it all.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon to Newark via Vienna
Date FlownDecember 2018

"refused the bag as a carry on"

Trip Verified | Worst business class experience. Started on Austrian Airlines from Cairo to Vienna. Got on board the Boeing 737 to find all seats are 3x3 in the entire plane. Business class defined by stickers on the overhead baggage compartments and an empty middle seat, no monitors, no charging plugs, essentially a coach seat and not even a relatively good seat. Service was okay. Off to Vienna and boarding business class flight from Vienna to Washington DC. Checked in and when walking to gates stopped and was told to have my carry on weighed, too much weight at 12 kilos, have to check it. Have taken this bag all over the world and just got off an Austrian Airlines flight from Cairo and never had it questioned, went to excess baggage desk where we were clearly ignored by three staff at their desks until I asked if they were “open”, after a grumpy look one of the staff told us to come forward, same conversation resulting in being refused the bag as a carry on and forced to check it at 12 kilos. Now one purchases a business class ticket for some amount of access and given I have carried this bag as a carry on in coach class and business class on many other airlines, ridiculous it was not allowed. Three points, 1) Weight for a reasonable sized and weight bag has nothing to do with carry on, the plane carries the same weight either in the overhead or in cargo and this one clearly fits in the overhead. 2) Coach seats are not business class and should not be offered as such. 3) Austrian Airlines will not be getting any of my future business and for all else I recommend avoiding them as much as possible. Cheap, rude, and not a business class airline product.
RouteVienna to Washington

"Overall good experience"

Trip Verified | Booked seat 2c business class, Austrian Airlines short haul from Vienna to Pristina. Business lounge access was easy and good breakfast setup. Spent about 1 hr there. After priority boarding got on the plane as first passenger. Nice welcome aboard and soon after I was asked if I wanted a glass of water. Even before other passengers came in I got my drink. I happened to be the only one in business class once the plane was full. Nice thing was that the stewardess addressed me by my last name the whole flight. After the seatbelts sign was off, got a nice glass of champagne and some extra water. Short haul lunch was excellent. Nice hot pastry, some panacotta pudding and some wine and coffee. Crew very friendly and answered every question if needed with a smile. Seat is just an economy seat with the seat next to you not occupied. Overall good experience.
RouteVienna to Pristina
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"flight was stress free

Trip Verified | London to Vienna. After a very quick and efficient check in, boarding went like clockwork for a 6am departure. The captain apologised take off would be 15 minutes late, but he will make the time up on route. The cabin was clean, light and airy, the cabin crew here smart, very efficient and played classic music during boarding. Seats were 3x3 with reasonable legroom and were comfortable. The flight was stress free, with a selection of hot drinks and a tasty sandwich served as standard. Disembarkation was easy and straight into the arrivals hall. A good flight that had more class than the average budget airline flight.
RouteLondon to Vienna
Date FlownDecember 2018

"was denied any compensation"

Trip Verified | We were on a flight from Nice to Vienna on 21 December 2018. After clearing security, we were informed that the flight was delayed and then the flight was cancelled. We had to be removed from the secure area. Stood in line for an hour, with no information forthcoming. 20 of the passengers were then rerouted through Rome, including my husband and I. In Rome we had 35 minutes to change terminals and get a boarding pass. If we were not relatively fit, we would not have made our flight. We arrived in Vienna at 22h55, instead of at 16h45. Thus a delay of over 6H. Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 established common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights. Under this regulation passengers are entitled to compensation for these kinds of delays. I contacted the airline, and was denied any compensation as according to the airline the cancellation was due to: "Unfortunately, according to EU Regulation 261/04, paragraphs 14 & 15, we cannot provide compensation for the flight irregularity that has remained because the reason for cancelling the flight was the weather condition. Meteorological conditions are beyond the control of the airline and exclude the obligations of the airline" I asked for clear evidence of weather conditions incompatible with the safe operation of our flight, as to my knowledge, the weather at the time was fine, and other airlines were operating flights as normal, taking off from Nice and landing in Vienna, while ours was disrupted. My request for information was denied. Surely, if you could not fly due to the weather this information will be on hand and easy to give to disgruntled passengers. Why refuse to give this information, unless you have something to hide or just do not want to comply with EU rules?
RouteNice to Vienna

"the level of rudeness"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Vilnius to Cape Town via Vienna. I was shocked at the level of rudeness from the staff. I got drinks spilt on me without even an acknowledgement, nevertheless, a 'sorry'; I got side-eyed for asking extra salt and pepper and an additional water cup; I got literally shouted at for what I can only assume not leaving the toilet 'midway' since the "go to seat" light turned on while I was in the toilet. This was my first time flying this airline and I regret the last. An 11-hour flight is painful as it is without being treated so rudely.
RouteVilnius to Cape Town via Vienna