Austrian Airlines

"done nothing to help me get my baggage back"

Trip Verified | Terrible baggage handling experience. Austrian (or Vienna Airport or Berlin Brandenburg airport, I'm not sure) lost my baggage. That being said, it is the airline that is responsible for retrieving this baggage. Austrian has done nothing to help me get my baggage back. It has been more than 1 month, and I have not heard anything back despite my 50+ calls, emails, contact forms, complaints, tweets, and so on. They have not even been able to give me information about reimbursing my expenses for what I had to buy in the meantime to replace what was in my suitcase. Austrian is expensive like a tier-1 airline (and advertises itself as such), but treats its passengers like Ryanair passengers. I have issued a complaint with the US DOT and the European Commission Mobility and Transport.
RouteNewark to Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2022

"my flights were overbooked"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | Both on the way to and from Tel Aviv my flights were overbooked and someone had to take their hand luggage into the belly with the other luggage. From Vienna to Copenhagen this ended up being me. Having wasted 40 minutes (almost the same length as the flight) waiting just to get my hand luggage, because they overbook it every time. They need to change how much luggage you can bring without being charged or do it some other way. I don't think it's acceptable to make people waste 40 minutes because they don't have the capacity for the luggage they promised.
RouteTel Aviv to Copenhagen via Vienna
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"not very customer friendly"

Not Verified | Vienna to Montreal. It is ridiculous that in 2022, you are not able to let passengers check in with a Permanent Resident status in Canada online. It is time consuming at the airport, seat cannot be selected because check-in works only at the airport, and I am wasting my time at the airport because the system is not working online. I called the support service and I am just told to check in at the airport. Very frustrating and not very customer friendly.
RouteVienna to Montreal
Date FlownAugust 2022

"I would not recommend them"

Not Verified | Austrian Airlines lost my luggage on 15th August and on 3 Sept we were delayed my nearly 2 hours. Terrible service. They have gone down a lot this summer. I would not recommend them.
RouteSofia to Amsterdam
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"had lost my luggage twice"

Not Verified | Austrian airlines had lost my luggage twice. Initially they lost it on my flight from Amsterdam to Sofia with a layover in Vienna, where I was forced to attend my wedding in whatever outfit I could purchase from H&M. My luggage was returned to me 3 days later. And lo and behold, my luggage was lost on the return trip back to Amsterdam. It has now been 3 weeks and I have had absolutely no update whatsoever on my luggage as to the whereabouts, and all my attempts at contacting the airline to find out what is happening and find out where I can receive compensation for the costs of buying basically a whole new wardrobe have been for naught because customer service does not exist with this airline. I'm reluctant to even start an insurance claim for the damages done because the process may take months at this rate due to how utterly hopeless this airline is.
RouteAmsterdam to Sofia via Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2022

"That’s how Austrian Airlines treats business class clients"

Trip Verified | Quick update to my last review of Austrian Airlines. So after waiting for my luggage for half my holidays, Austrian told me they would deliver my luggage today. As you can imagine they failed to honor that as well! When I contacted them I was told I was to take a taxi at my own expense to come retrieve the luggage in the warehouse of the local agency in the middle of nowhere in a foreign country! There you have it guys. That’s how Austrian Airlines treats business class clients. Don’t say that nobody warned you.
RouteParis to Larnaca via Vienna
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"waiting for my luggage for half my holidays"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Larnaca. Austrian Airlines is a scam! Quick update to my last review of Austrian Airlines guys. So after waiting for my luggage for half my holidays, Austrian told me they would deliver my luggage today. As you can imagine they failed to honor that as well. ! And when I contacted them I was told I was to take a taxi at my own expense to come retrieve the luggage in the warehouse of the local agency in the middle of nowhere in a foreign country! There you have it guys. That’s how Austrian Airlines treats business class clients. Don’t say that nobody warned you.
RouteVienna to Larnaca
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"my luggage had not been loaded"

Trip Verified | I have now been waiting for 3 days for this airline to deliver my luggage. I made the huge mistake of booking a business class round ticket from France to Cyprus for a small week off. Not only I had the displeasure of being informed upon landing that my luggage had not been loaded (although as a business class it was marked as a « priority luggage) but since then it has been nothing but impossible to reach their customer service. The Concierge at the hotel I am staying has been calling them non-stop for the past 3 days without success. I emailed them left and right and only to be greeted with non-sensical half-baked generic apologies from a no-reply automated server. And to top it off, not only this incompetent bunch has just ruined half of my holidays, but they do not even guarantee customers to reimburse them for damages to your belongings nor for additional essentials purchases.
RouteParis to Cyprus via Vienna
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"the temperature was set to 24"

Trip Verified | Flew business from LAX to VIE on June 20. Cabin was warm when I boarded. Asked purser to cool it off. Yes no problem, once we get going it will cool off. After dinner went to bed, woke up half way through the flight sweating (was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and not using the provided blanket). Rang the bell asked what the temperature was set to learned it was 24. 24 is ridiculous. Austrian does not have individual air vents. After arguing with the purser for over 10 minutes she agreed to lower it to 22. I argued this was not enough and argued there was no way I could sleep in such a hot cabin. She then said, 'do you feel how cold I am? I'm freezing'. So because the purser is cold the whole cabin has to suffer in a sauna-like environment on a 10 hour flight. I've written letters to the standard customer service team, and have forwarded comment to the head of operations asking what the policy is for cabin temperature. 4 weeks later no response. Even though I think the products and service are generally better on international airlines, I simply can't trust then to have a reasonable cabin temperature.
RouteLos Angeles to Vienna
Date FlownJuly 2022

"disastrous customer service"

(Croatia)

Trip Verified | From the moment I purchased my ticket for a business trip to Berlin and subsequent environmental fieldwork in Scandinavia, I've only run into problem after problem with this surprisingly incompetent airline. First, they informed me that my return flight had been canceled. After over a dozen phone calls over the course of a week - that is, sitting on hold for over an hour to never actually reach a customer service agent, someone finally picked up the phone and I managed to re-book another flight. Then on my outbound flight on August 6, they lost my luggage, sending me an email two days later that they had located it and handed it over to the delivery company. Three weeks later, after countless (unanswered) phone calls, emails, and online forms, I still hadn't received my luggage, only to find out that the delivery company (CLS Express - also impossible to get in touch with) had, in fact, never received my luggage. I was forced to purchase new items of clothing, shoes, and field gear (over $1000), as I had nothing with me for my month-long trip. I never received any feedback from Austrian Airlines regarding reimbursement or compensation of any sort. Furthermore, to say that the "Lost and Found" at the Berlin Airport is utterly useless is an understatement, as they - after making you wait in line for over 45 minutes - just refer you to the Austrian Airlines website to submit a claim. I had initially booked Austrian Airlines for my business trip thinking it was a quality company I could rely on. In my 15 years of international (and overseas) travel - both personal and business, with a multitude of different airlines - I have never run into so many issues with a single flight, or such disastrous customer service. Needless to say, this was my first and last time traveling with them.
RouteBerlin to Munich