Austrian Airlines

"so much inconvenience and no respect for the customer"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Horrible experience with Austrian Airlines. The flight was overbooked so no place was left on the plane for me. Had to wait 2 hours at the airport for any resolution on the case, in the end I was rebooked for next day. The staff were extremely rude, customer service not responding over the phone, and it took them almost 2 months to respond to my claim. No compensation in the end! I do not recommend this airline, so much inconvenience and no respect for the customer. For such ticket price it’s much better to fly any other airline.
RouteOdesa to Prague via Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2021

"service wasn't especially friendly"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | I had high hopes for my first long-haul Austrian Airlines flight. Check-in: Friendly, but a bit chaotic as flights to the United States especially with their necessary COVID-related checks tend to be. Boarding: Nothing out of the ordinary. Seat Comfort: One of the tightest, most uncomfortable long haul seats I've experienced. Even worse than many short-haul flights I've been on. Service: While I did not experience any rudeness, service wasn't especially friendly. I felt as though I was a burden on them. Food/Beverages: No choice provided. First meal was oily, stale pasta with flavorless sides. Second meal was half of a flavorless cheese sandwich. Very disappointing even by economy standards. Entertainment : Modern seat-back system with lots of choices. The flight was punctual. Booking Service: Long wait on the line with the call being cut off a few times. Overall - If you have the choice between Lufthansa or Austrian on long haul, go with Lufthansa or even United to the USA.
RouteVienna to Chicago

"Overall recommended"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | The journey was nice, the aircraft was very clean and well maintained. After a rather hectical boarding, the flight was calm. The crew offered a variety of snacks and drinks, which you can buy onboard. I did not buy anything, but I got a free drink and a small Austrian chocolate bar from the crew. Although i have to admit, that considering the price tag for this flight the crew could have offered a free snack (eg a sandwich) as well, but you dont always can expect something like that from a short-haul flight. Seats and interiour of the plane are in very good condition. Austrian Airlines renovates and redesignes their fleet right now and I think they are doing it well. There is wifi onboard, although you have to pay a fee. I always like it, when the pilot or first officer somehow talk to the passengers and on this flight, the first officer greeted us and showed up some facts about the airplane and flight, very interesting and nice gesture. The landing was smooth and earlier than expected, not any much you could ask for! Overall recommended, although you have to book early, since the price will skyrocket if you book last minute! Service though is top!
RouteVienna to Paris
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"I missed the train connection"

Trip Verified | I flew from Paris to Wien for my holidays. Unfortunately, my plane arrived 1h30 late and I missed the train connection of the day. At the departure in Paris, they told us that somebody was waiting for us in Wien to help us and tell us what to do. But at the arrival, nobody was there (except the customs) and the only option was the hotel. So I had to sleep for the night in Wien airport hotel and I had to reorganise all my road trip. I did a reclamation just after and I received many mails explaining that they will treat my demand later. When I called them, they passed me from a service to and other one and usually after more that 30min, without any information, they hang up on me. After 2 months, they explained to me that as my plane was not 3h late, they were not obliged by law to do anything for me. I am so disappointed in it. The company is quite good when everything is OK, but from the moment there is a problem, this is the worse I have ever seen.
RouteParis to Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2021

"It was the most shambolic process"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | We flew from Vienna to London Heathrow on Saturday evening. The flight was scheduled for 5.30pm. It was the most shambolic process going through the Gate to board the aircraft that I have ever had, and I have travelled a lot. We made our way to Gate 12 in good time but passengers did not really seem to know what was happening as nobody was being allowed through the gate and there was a barrier up. When we approached the gate, we were told, and other passengers when they went to see what was happening, that we had to join a queue to get our documents checked - Pre Departure Form, Covid test etc. Fair enough, but the communication was dire. There was one young woman looking after all the passengers until a rather energetic young man tried to hurry us along. We were barked at by one of the staff checking documents about not wasting time. At that, people in the queue laughed. We were allowed into the Gate 12 area once the documents were checked, but again there was not much communication apart from being told the flight was delayed. Finally we were able to scan our boarding passes and go down the escalator to board the plane. This was when one of the most dangerous events happened. As the air stewards had let everyone board at the same time, there was a backlog of people along the passageway leading on to the plane and round the corner to the bottom of the lift. As more and more people came down the escalator, there was nowhere for them to go as the space at the bottom of the escalator was so tiny. People tried to stand closer together but as we approached the bottom we had to push people in order to get off the escalator. The young men behind us almost fell into the crowd of people. More people were coming down the escalator and they screamed when they could see what was happening so started to walk back up it. Finally someone shouted up for them to stop the escalator which was then stopped. This could have been a lot worse. What amazed us was the total lack of awareness for what should have been very basic health and safety. I have tried to offer feedback to Austrian Airlines. I cannot get through on the phone and the contact form you are meant to fill in prior to submitting praise or a complaint is not available. So frustrating. I cannot stop thinking how very much worse this could have been if a real crush had occurred. Then the flight itself was not great. Nowhere to put bags except under the seat. No water offered. I was so surprised by this as I had thought Austrian Airlines would be very efficient and safe. Would not recommend but would love to give them feedback so this debacle never happens again.
RouteVienna to London Heathrow
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Such great and friendly service"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | I rarely do reviews but had a great flight from Vienna to Kiev. Such great and friendly service, and very good food and wine! Really tasty! It makes such a difference with good, friendly and professional service. I just wish I could order more of that wine. A very good experience of Austrian Airlines. 100% sure I will book again. Thank you!
RouteCopenhagen to Vienna via Kiev
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Absolutely no response from customer complaints"

Trip Verified | Will never consider Austrian again. Due to travel in August but had to push flights on due to Covid restrictions in Bangkok. I was told I could rebook next year as long as I travel before 31st July. What have they done? Doubled the price of flights until that date so in essence you pay again. In August the flights return to normal. Refund policy is taxes only. Absolutely no response from customer complaints. Atrocious way to treat your customers. I will be taking the tax refund and choosing an airline with integrity who value their customers.
RouteLondon to Bangkok

"irresponsible, unhelpful"

(Albania)

Trip Verified | Currently sitting at the departure gate at Vienna Airport, awaiting to catch a flight to Tirana, Albania. Original flight was due to depart at 22:40, which already is a late, tiring flight. To add to that, flight was abruptly delayed by 2 hours and a half and we only got a notification via e-mail. Then the flight was delayed by a further 15 minutes. Again, 0 explanation, only an e-mail which very conveniently for the airline, led to a chat-bot. Passengers are completely abandoned here, with no Austrian Airlines staff anywhere to be seen. I used to fly Austrian quite a lot back in the day, and they had a lot of charm and class. Now they have become an irresponsible, unhelpful, third-hand airline. I would avoid them and rather go for a low-cost airline at this point. You pay less and get similar, if not better, service.
RouteVienna to Tirana
Date FlownAugust 2021

"Leg room is better than on Ryanair"

Not Verified | You can get 150 ml of water for free. This is hidden in the menu. Otherwise prices are outrageous and should put any carrier to shame. Leg room is still better than on Ryanair.
RouteVienna to Berlin
Date FlownAugust 2021

"No free food or drinks anymore"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Check-In 47 hrs in advance, but boarding pass only after check by Austrian of necessary documentation, in this case my Covid vaccination certificate, submitted on-line and boarding pass issued some 10 hrs before departure. Pleasant surprise of empty middle seat due to A319 instead of Embraer 195 as in the past. Arrival on-time and fast airport health check - again same vaccination certificate - due to seat in front of plane. No free food or drinks anymore, but not missed since for such short flights.
RouteGeneva to Vienna