Austrian Airlines

"lost our connection in Vienna"

Trip Verified | Me and my husband lost our connection in Vienna because the first flight was delayed and since we couldn’t pass through customs, x ray and run to the gate in 10 minutes they said it was our fault. I really thought Austrian Airlines has a better service than the low cost companies. So, in the end is better to pay less and receive the same service.
RouteDüsseldorf to Vienna
Date FlownJune 2021

"If you can don’t fly with them"

Trip Verified | Worst airline staff service ever. I was treated very rudely and told my mask did not meet their requirements (strange thing that flew 4 days earlier with the same airline to get to Tirana and nobody told me anything about the mask) and to stand aside and not board my flight. The supervisor was rude and was looking for every excuse to fight, no matter how nice you were. Thanks to someone who gave me a surgical mask I made it to the airplane to find out that the staff of the airline were wearing the same mask I had been not allowed to get in the fight in the first place. If you can don’t fly with them, the amount of money you spend and the service you get are not worth it.
RouteTirana to Washington DC via Vienna
Date FlownJuly 2021

"denied that they made an error"

Trip Verified | Absolutely worst experience ever. Customer service is non-existent, cabin is overcrowded, bags under seats, food and drinks are low quality and overpriced, no free wifi or entertainment, etc. I tried to prepay excess luggage on the phone because it can not be done online, I was on hold for an hour, then I was told my CC was declined. I called my credit card company and they said not only were there no issues with my card, but they didn't even show an attempt to charge the card. I called the airline back, was on hold for another hour, and told them what my bank said. They denied that they made an error, or that their system was at fault, and again told me my card was declined. I called CC company, and again, they said there was no attempt to make a charge on their end. Instead of sitting at a cafe in Altstadt, we were on the phone at the hotel. However Austrian customer service said that "you will just have to pay at check in at a substantially higher rate." Lovely, thank you so much. The end result is that shipping my bags round trip cost more than the tickets at over €800.
RouteDusseldorf to Tirana via Vienna
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Very rude staff"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Very rude staff. I was flying with my wife and daughter (3y old) on transit flight via Vienna. Departure was late (22:00). During the boarding I was told that my family wearing masks not high quality and we can not board. We need to wear FFP2 masks. Somehow I missed the information that we should get special masks. Late I have checked the website of the airline, and it was very difficult to find the information about masks - on mobile version of austrian airlines website (booking pages, language Russian). Anyway, in my mind, the mask should not be the problem as I was sure that I can purchase it easily. But in the shop such masks were out of stock and the airline were not selling it also. Thanks to the people who shared the masks with us. But the story not about masks, but the staff of Austrian Airlines, which was rude to us. The manager of the flight on any my words or question just shut me up and threatens to take me of the flight. It was almost impossible to understand what is wrong and how we can fix the situation. Even when we managed to get the masks (very thanks to kind people) the staff was still threatening to me, when I was explaining that the passengers' lives could be easier if they just sold these masks. But the response was: "give me your passport if you what to have any discussion you will miss your flight". I just had to bow and shut up. I assure you that I was not rude and spoke without any personal insults. During boarding, my wife was brought to tears (she stood aside) and the flight attendants very nicely handed her a napkin. I fly quite a lot and have faced many situations, so I'm okay with some airline mistakes. Flying is hard these days, and the work of airline personnel has also become harder, but we are still human beings, not cattle driven for loading. It is obvious to me that my situation could be resolved very simply and without the rudeness of the staff, but the airline manager simply was a little human, who had power over people. This is also called the "concierge" syndrome. I don’t think this is the policy of the airline, nevertheless, be careful when choosing your flights.
RouteMoscow to Sofia via Vienna
Date FlownJune 2021

"crew do the best to make us comfortable"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Austrian airlines is very good organized airline and their crew do the best to make us comfortable. They didn't serve water as others do but for short flights doesn't matter. Only I didn't like that they accept FFP2 mask and not other masks Lufthansa does.
RouteBelgrade to Brussels via Vienna
Date FlownMay 2021

"worst airline I’ve traveled"

Trip Verified | This is my first and last time to travel with Austrian Airlines. Absolutely the worst airline I’ve traveled. Very bad service and rude crew members, the food was terrible, seats very small and tight. There was many empty seats so I went to sit in an empty seat where nobody is beside me, so one of the crew member rudely wake me and told me to go back to my seat where there was a very old lady which was barely trying to stand and let me get in my seat. So the plane was empty, what would they lose if I sat in an empty seat. And they indicating at their website that there is wifi to buy on board but there weren’t, lastly there is no power to charge your phone. The price of the ticket is the same as any other airlines so probably you could book with a better airlines with the same price.
RouteWashington to Vienna
Date FlownMay 2021

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Today, after more than 5 years, I flew Austrian again (Venice to Zurich via Vienna). Have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Crew was young & cheerful; yes, they have BoB but still provide water & Austrian chocolate for free (same as Swiss but I find Austrian chocolate even better). Planes are ageing but very well-maintained. At this stage, Austrian lounge at Vienna provides a to-go bag with sandwiches of your choice (quality is much better compared to those disgusting sandwiches currently offered at the Lufthansa lounges), water & other drinks of your choice, a selection of fresh fruit, coffee &, cappuccino to-go. Clearly, Lufthansa mainline became the worst of the whole Lufthansa Group. Huge shame on the German flag carrier & will try to avoid it at all cost in the future. Not to mention that Frankfurt became one of the worst main airports in Europe, in my opinion.
AircraftBombardier Q400 & A320
RouteVenice to Zurich via Vienna
Date FlownApril 2021

"you have to do it row by row"

Trip Verified | Austrian airlines is an average company, nothing special. You get free drink, meaning free instant coffee. Don’t hope for a meal. A very annoying procedure is to disembark the plane during COVID-19 is that the cabin crew doesn’t allow you to leave all at once, you have to do it row by row. And of course no wifi.
RouteSkopje to Düsseldorf via Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2021

"less than satisfactory"

Trip Verified | Punctual and comfortable trip in widebody aircraft on a 3.5 hr flight. Plane older generation but with refurbished cabin and well-maintained. Biz class seat controls additionally placed next to head in sleeping mode, so you don’t need to drag yourself up to use the armrest controls when you want to readjust to sitting position. Downsides were lack of amenity kit (LH & LX provide these on similar routes), and no meal choice, which is unacceptable. I got a tasteless, super dry pasta dish with burned edges of simply penne covered in cheese. This is the 3rd time this happens on OS so I asked the FA why. Apparently they cater exactly the number of plates as the passengers flying, so the last passengers never get their meal choice. I prefer sitting in the back so no surprise it happens over and over. Also no ice available, no ginger ale, They run through the cabin trying to serve all at once, but who wants coffee or digestif when you barely started your meal. Overall less than satisfactory F&B business class product.
RouteCairo to Vienna
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"a refund of 60% without my consent"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight but could not travel as Covid closed many countries from travellers entering. Austrian Airlines said that there was no limit to my cancellations during Covid and that I could rebook in January 2021 for any flight until December 2021. To my surprise they instead gave me a refund of 60% without my consent. They lied to me saying that I asked for a refund. When I told them to email me evidence of my requisition they said that there is no evidence but they can not do anything about the refund that was given back to me. I lot £120 from them issuing a refund against my wishes.
RouteLondon to Zadar via Vienna