American Airlines

(Costa Rica)

I am still not a big fan of AA but it looks like that they are now working harder to provide to their pax some kind of decent flight experience. Flew recently SJO-MIA-DEN/RT. On SJO-MIA still operating the old 757 but with a refurbished cabin at least. MIA-DEN newish 737-800. Nice aircraft. Ground handling efficient and friendly. They assigned me an exit row and main cabin exit seats for free without asking. All pilots talked to the pax providing a lot of flight info. The winner was the 757 Captain of the flight MIA-SJO. After appreciating his clients over the mike he also took the time to bid a farewell to every pax exiting the plane with a Thank You and a smile. Even though their inflight service still leaves a lot to wish it is a nice manner to show each passenger the value they deserve. Overall a good experience and I'll fly AA again.

American Airlines customer review

Chicago to Dubai Frequent Flyer on American via LH. Been a loyal customer since the 1980's. It's really a shame how this airline has degraded. The planes I fly are always really old virtually no entertainment system at all if it even works there's no leg room and seats are often old smelly and sometimes broken. On one flight the bathroom floor was cracked. Staff are always great but they have a really poor product to work with and their frustration shows. After all these years finally had enough will be checking out from American after next flight such a shame.

American Airlines customer review

Flight Zurich to JFK. Very old 767 plane - 21 years - showing excessive wear and tear. Dirty torn carpets and seat covers. Such an old and poorly maintained plane does not feel safe. No entertainment system other than a shaky old style TV hung from the ceiling. No magazines or newspapers provided (other than the thin airline's magazine). Food quality was average - liquor costs extra. The only commendable thing was the friendly crew and the fact that the plane was at most half full. Apparently the word about these run down planes has spread and few people choose AA on a route which also has a direct flight from Swiss. AA terminal at JFK is catastrophic. Luggage takes almost an hour to arrive and when departing the wait time at security was exceeded 90 minutes.

American Airlines customer review

MAN-JFK. Used Oneworld (BA) reward miles. I had the lowest expectations having flown AA many times in the past both business and pleasure although not for some years. Check-in and security were the usual Manchester Airport slick and fast why can't Heathrow learn from them? On boarding we were met by a smiling and effusive purser who was greeting every passenger. Don't know if my BA Gold Card had anything to do with it but we were seated just behind Business in extra leg room seats. Yes the plane was an antique and had no seat back entertainment which almost beggars believe but it was clean and all seats and trays appeared to work for AA an achievement! We departed on time and arrived on time. We were served the preposterously named "International Flagship" lunch which was actually not bad for economy. Apart from the excellent purser the cabin crew went through the motions but were not rude or bad tempered which is a major improvement. US immigration was fast and the staff actually smiled. AA cabin crew and US immigration staff smiling what is the world coming to? Overall we were pleasantly surprised and would use again for the benefit of flying direct.

American Airlines customer review

LAX-LHR return in Biz. AA put their new 777-300ER on this route and I have to say that they are nearly on the top of the market with this product. Lounge at LAX - not so great I am EP the highest but have to admit the lounge is lacking lots of food options. There were nearly none except few sandwiches. Compared to BA First class in Terminal 3 which is not their best the AA just does not stack up. The aircraft itself is great. Biz has walk-up bar which if the flight attendants are not too lazy has constant food. And this is where it becomes tricky. Flight attendants on AA are hit and miss. I flew them 5 times in the past few months. The same route. Sometimes you get great serving people who really care and would do anything for you and then you get a lady like I did who when I walked up to the bar in the middle of the flight and asked for a glass of water - since there was none anywhere had to close her game on her iPad annoyingly lifted her eyes and proceeded to look. When she found the bottle she slammed it on the bar and said " You will be able to pour it yourself - I hope". Seat itself is great. I recommend row 5 window - it has an extra space to store your stuff. Plenty of room to stock things up. Food - really great for biz class they elevated their game with wines as well. I can't fault them for anything in terms of hard product. The choices of movies - great. I am comparing to my recent trip on BA which had about 1/3 of movies. That really surprised me. All in all AA is trying but it has to do it faster better and more efficiently.

American Airlines customer review

From reading the list of reviews I don't understand why anyone would fly with American Airlines I however am military and am forced to fly what is given to me. Today 21 Feb14 flying on orders from San Antonio to Fort Walton Beach I was forced to pay to have my baggage checked for the first time in 8 years. I fly often and usually have 1 to 2 bags that weigh from 60 to 100lbs and have never been asked to pay. AA seems to have different requirement on baggage weights from state to state. I had no problem with baggage fees leaving Fort Walton but was charged 125 dollars on my return flight departing San Antonio.

American Airlines customer review

March 2014 AA 39 London Heathrow to Miami. AA2438 Miami to San Jose. 16th April 2014 AA 353 San Jose to Miami. AA38 Miami to London Heathrow. Haven't even travelled with AA yet but already we are thoroughly disillusioned. Have travelled business class with many different airlines over the decades and never experienced such disregard. For personal reasons we need a window seat and aisle so the moment we book a flight we go online and book our seats. These are always without fail honoured. But American Airlines have already thrown us out of our pre-books seats 3 times relocating us in inappropriate seats and separated! Each time we have re-books seats but today find they have moved us again and suddenly all other seats are full! We phoned only to be told that they were not prepared to move other passengers despite them being single travellers even though they had moved us three times without reference to our wishes. We are no longer looking forward to our journey and will be avoiding AA in the future.

American Airlines customer review

Flight 2048 MIA to JFK Feb 15th in Coach extra. JFK was recovering from a snow-storm but that doesn't forgive the appalling service delivered by AA to passengers stuck for 8 hours on what should be a 3-hour flight. 1 hour late departure ATC orders no blame. 45 minutes holding pattern somewhere off the coast around DC a further delay. Running out of fuel so we have to land in Philadelphia. Quick refuel and push-back only to stop halfway through because the tow-bar has broken. Then return to the gate for one passenger to deplane no explanation but efficiently and quickly done. Land at JFK at 10.45 pm. No gate held on taxiway get assigned gate but access blocked by de-icing an outbound plane assigned another gate so taxi a couple of hundred yards then stop. Eventually move to gate but another 15-minute delay. Eventually get to the gate and disembark at 12.30 am. Wait for baggage is interminable and at first there is no information as to which carousel it's coming on. I get mine at about 1.50 am and that's marked Priority. In 8 hours on the plane there was one drinks service no additional refreshment except for a hand-out of an oat bar. Inadequate communication from the flight deck as to what was happening once we'd landed at JFK. Appalling behaviour and lack of customer care.

American Airlines customer review

We traveled Jan 15 - Feb. 14. Our plane was delayed for an hour in LA and another 45 minutes in Chicago. There were only a few snacks available on our flight the TV didn't work properly and when we got home to Flint MI our luggage wasn't there and there was no reason for this because we had to wait for an hour on the tarmac before taking off.

American Airlines customer review

Business Class from Dublin to JFK. Not a great service at all. When we got on the plane the pre-flight drinks were sitting on the table of one of the business class seats. Everything rushed. Hostesses do just the bare minimum required. Earphones faulty. Had them changed and the new ones didn't work. Turns out the socket for the earphones in my seat was broken. So no inflight entertainment for me for the whole flight unless I was prepared for visuals only. Then got a cup of coffee in a filthy cup. Admirals Lounge in JFK is a joke. Pretzels cheese carrots apples some juice and coffee. That's it. You have to pay for anything else at airport prices. Then they looked for $10.50 for a glass of wine. I thought the girl behind the bar was joking. She wasn't. She reluctantly told me that one wine was complimentary and she begrudgingly served it. How can they justify charging Business prices and provide such a sub-standard product? Will never fly with them again.