American Airlines

American Airlines customer review

From reading the list of reviews I don't understand why anyone would fly with American Airlines I however am military and am forced to fly what is given to me. Today 21 Feb14 flying on orders from San Antonio to Fort Walton Beach I was forced to pay to have my baggage checked for the first time in 8 years. I fly often and usually have 1 to 2 bags that weigh from 60 to 100lbs and have never been asked to pay. AA seems to have different requirement on baggage weights from state to state. I had no problem with baggage fees leaving Fort Walton but was charged 125 dollars on my return flight departing San Antonio.

American Airlines customer review

Flight 2048 MIA to JFK Feb 15th in Coach extra. JFK was recovering from a snow-storm but that doesn't forgive the appalling service delivered by AA to passengers stuck for 8 hours on what should be a 3-hour flight. 1 hour late departure ATC orders no blame. 45 minutes holding pattern somewhere off the coast around DC a further delay. Running out of fuel so we have to land in Philadelphia. Quick refuel and push-back only to stop halfway through because the tow-bar has broken. Then return to the gate for one passenger to deplane no explanation but efficiently and quickly done. Land at JFK at 10.45 pm. No gate held on taxiway get assigned gate but access blocked by de-icing an outbound plane assigned another gate so taxi a couple of hundred yards then stop. Eventually move to gate but another 15-minute delay. Eventually get to the gate and disembark at 12.30 am. Wait for baggage is interminable and at first there is no information as to which carousel it's coming on. I get mine at about 1.50 am and that's marked Priority. In 8 hours on the plane there was one drinks service no additional refreshment except for a hand-out of an oat bar. Inadequate communication from the flight deck as to what was happening once we'd landed at JFK. Appalling behaviour and lack of customer care.

American Airlines customer review

Business Class from Dublin to JFK. Not a great service at all. When we got on the plane the pre-flight drinks were sitting on the table of one of the business class seats. Everything rushed. Hostesses do just the bare minimum required. Earphones faulty. Had them changed and the new ones didn't work. Turns out the socket for the earphones in my seat was broken. So no inflight entertainment for me for the whole flight unless I was prepared for visuals only. Then got a cup of coffee in a filthy cup. Admirals Lounge in JFK is a joke. Pretzels cheese carrots apples some juice and coffee. That's it. You have to pay for anything else at airport prices. Then they looked for $10.50 for a glass of wine. I thought the girl behind the bar was joking. She wasn't. She reluctantly told me that one wine was complimentary and she begrudgingly served it. How can they justify charging Business prices and provide such a sub-standard product? Will never fly with them again.

American Airlines customer review

We traveled Jan 15 - Feb. 14. Our plane was delayed for an hour in LA and another 45 minutes in Chicago. There were only a few snacks available on our flight the TV didn't work properly and when we got home to Flint MI our luggage wasn't there and there was no reason for this because we had to wait for an hour on the tarmac before taking off.

American Airlines customer review

Would not recommend flying American. Yesterday morning I called their customer service/flight status line and requested the status of my flight from Cleveland to Charlotte. The automated system told me it was on time and after I selected the option even texted me a copy of the status stating the same thing. I drove to the airport paid to park went to the counter to check my bag and the counter clerk who was quite rude and non-empathetic said your flight was cancelled yesterday. Meanwhile I receive a call from my wife who says she received a call at home stating my connecting flight out of Charlotte had been delayed but the counter clerk had already told me that flight was cancelled too. No call was ever made to tell me either flight had been canceled. I am sure they would like to blame this on the merger or maybe even the severe weather and quantity of flight cancellations but that is nonsense.

American Airlines customer review

Flew 2/9/2014 from St. Martin to IAH changing in Miami. We were in the first part ("extra legroom" section) of the Main Cabin. On the first leg AA was sold out of Meals for Purchase by Row 11. (Dozens of rows behind - no food upset travelers). During the 3 hour calm flight attendants came down the row once to offer a beverage. Zero customer service. Extremely unpleasant crew. During the Miami layover had to retrieve luggage due to Customs. Plane landed at 6.42pm. Got our luggage at 8.05pm! Others still waiting after us. Baggage Claim personnel gave zero customer service. On the second leg into IAH attendants told everyone that someone forgot to put any liquor/beer on the flight. And again attendants came down the aisle once during the 2.5hr flight to offer a beverage (juice water soda only). Zero customer service. AA has a long ways to go in the Customer Service department.

American Airlines customer review

2/9/14 LAX to Chicago. I am extremely disappointed with American Airlines customer service. Staff were unfriendly and rude during the boarding and ticketing process. During the check-in process I received a message that I had not chosen a seat and was asked to pay an additional $68 for an upgraded seat. From the mobile phone the check-in process could not be completed until this upgrade was purchased. At the airport during the self check-in it was clear a seat had been chosen and no upgrade was needed at that time. Why are the two systems not compatible with each other? During boarding they allowed all passengers to board who did not have roller bags. This then resulted in less space for these roller bags during the boarding process. Flight attendant's allowed customers to place small bags and coats in the overhead compartments. When it came time to board the roller bags there was not enough room for these bags. This could have been avoided had the staff asked these other customers to please remove smaller items and place under the seat. Instead they were then rude to those with roller bags who did not have enough space accusing them of delaying the flight further. This seems like a rather inefficient process and one that should be reviewed to provide better customer service to those flying on American.

American Airlines customer review

Traveled DFW-NRT over Christmas break in 2012. Old 777-200 but the cabin was maintained pretty well and clean. Boarded last because of a late connection whisked into an almost empty first class. Food service was quick and good the steak I ordered was surprisingly good. An old flight attendant turned out to be a very funny and nice man who did everything to make the flight better and knew when to leave me alone (sleeping). Personal TV screen was not of the highest quality but personal none the less and thus enjoyable. Lay flat seat worked just fine and the ability to swivel and work on a desk was a plus. Calm flight except for circling for 30 mins before landing at Narita.
Seat TypeFirst Class

American Airlines customer review

ORD to IAH. Check in was a bit of a hassle since the American Airlines staff directed us to a machine kiosk that was malfunctioning. After that hurdle was crossed a slew of others slowly came our way. Our original flight to IAH Houston was scheduled for 3.15pm at 2.55pm (local time) and arriving at 5.55pm the gate attendant told us that the flight had been delayed for an unspecified amount of time. We soon learned that the gate had been changed no announcement by telecom only by looking at the airport television screens did we figure this out. The new departure time was 3:34pm but that didn't happen either so the staff delayed the flight again to 4.04pm. As 4.15pm approached everyone was finally seated on this haggard and small CR7 jet. As we were about to leave the gate the pilot said there needed to be some maintenance and that it would take "5 minutes" to complete. 5 minutes passed and then 10 and then 20. By this time it was 4.25pm and we had yet to leave the gate. At 4.45pm we began taxing onto the runway when another problem arose. There apparently was an electrical failure and maintenance needed to be done once again. Back to the gate we go and by now its 5.10pm. Maintenance fixed the problem and off we go! We finally take off at 5.45pm.

American Airlines customer review

Booked a flight for wife stepdaughter and grandson to visit me in San Francisco from Indianapolis. (IND to SFO). The first leg to Dallas was delayed. They spent 4 hours waiting in Indy to catch a flight to Chicago. Flight from Chicago to San Francisco was delayed. What normally takes me 6 hours with Delta has now taken them 15 hours. When I had long delays with Delta they rebooked on another carrier for direct flights. AA = Anguishing Anxiety.