American Airlines

American Airlines customer review

Traveled from Barcelona to NY flight # 67 and paid $89 for what we believed were extra legroom seats. Seats were cramped boarded last no space in any nearby bins for hand luggage plane was ancient didn't even have individual air controls. AA states we booked 'preferred seats' which merely allowed us to choose our seats for $89!

American Airlines customer review

I have flown MIA-JFK on an old B767-300. Flight was full. Seat very old but comfortable and pitch was ok. Entertainment only through overhead screens. I was shocked that this aircraft had the new hatrack design only for premium cabins Economy cabin still had the 90's hatrack design which a) looks very old and b) does not have enough room for everyone. Only non-alcoholic drink service for this 2hr flight. Staff very unprofessional. There seems to be an inconsistency in their uniform. One female flight attendant was wearing - what seemed to be her personal apron that featured dozens of US flags next to each other. After landing in JFK we had to hold at a remote stand before our gate was available. As usual passengesr were standing up and retrieving their bags from the overhead bins despite the captain making an announcement to remain seated. No flight attendant took any action only a Captain in American Airlines uniform travelling as a passenger made assertive requests for everyone to remain seated to which everyone then complied. Also saw a male flight attendant making a call on his mobile phone during taxiing to the gate. Very unprofessional!

American Airlines customer review

Ghastly flight in First Class on AA from PVG to LAX. The flight attendants were very nice. The seat was horrible. Uncomfortable. Had really poor leather padding a very weird need to press a latch under the arm of the seat first in order to operate seat controls. When in the bed/sleep position the seat had a bulging ridge in the middle hinge that made it impossible to lie on. There was no privacy because the seats had no enclosures or partial walls just wide open so that all the lights noise smells of the cabin were omnipresent. Bad lighting tiny hard to move video screen dirty floor cheap broken plastic laminate console patched poorly with silicon putty etc. It was like a really bad business class. Actually I've flown several times in AA's sub marginal business class and as bad as they are the seat padding is actually superior to the first class seats. Guess anyone who tolerates this service has never flown Cathay Pacific. Their biz class is outstanding. Every seat with an aisle seats constructed to provide lots of privacy good lighting headphones mirror private cabinet lots of room really comfortable lie flat seat. I used 67.5 thousand miles for my lousy AA flight.

American Airlines customer review

American Airlines flight 940 on January 3 2014 in Economy from Santiago Chile to Miami. No personal TV like most foreign airlines no headphones available (only for sale) wine and beer for sale only only one choice of meal flight attendants who don't look presentable no free copy of the Wall Street Journal or local business newspaper no after dinner spirits no ear plugs and eye shades and the seat pocket in front had trash from the previous passenger. The aircraft must have been one of the oldest I've flown in years. I will continue avoiding AA as much as I can.

American Airlines customer review

Based on a 3 day trip from BWI-DFW-SFO-ORD-BWI in first class I was pleasantly surprised and see AA as a much improved airline. Even though the first flight was cancelled due to a mechanical problem getting myself re-routed was painless though check in staff in BWI were not particularly helpful and if I did not have an app that showed me all my options I may not have had such a good experience. Two of the planes were new 737's FA's were attentive and friendly but still professional (shocking in a US airline). They tried to remember passengers' names and one gets the sense that AA is studying the premier international airlines. Food was fine but not memorable. The AA hubs I passed through all had their own personality but there was a consistency. DFW was friendly SFO professional and ORD a little gruff. The Admirals Club in each airport was good with very helpful professional staff. There is not much food or entertainment but that's not important to me in a domestic airport lounge. Reading other reviews I am reminded of my past experiences with AA and I am hopeful that my experience was a harbinger.

American Airlines customer review

AA79 30th Dec. AA50 8th Jan. I flew AA to PHX from LHR via DFW. Had a 772 on the way out and a 77W on the way back the internal flights were on an MD80. On all flights the service was excellent and on AA50 was quite outstanding. I was expecting very average flights but was hugely impressed with all aspects from start to finish. I would avoid row 1 on the 77W because on light invasion from the galley.

American Airlines customer review

ORD-LHR on 12/01/14 (QR 5288 - Qatar Airways code share). Flown AA many times overall impression has never been wonderful - usually met expectations though. This flight however was a shocker. Clapped out 767. Old CRT screens from the 90's hanging from the ceilings. Each one in the cabin had a different colour tinge. Meals were ok nothing to rave or complain about. Hostesses were surly with a bad attitude. Passenger next to my wife asked for a cup of coffee and my wife very politely asked for a cup of tea as well. Hostess snapped that she couldn't remember two things at once. Very unimpressive crew about as friendly as rattlesnakes.

American Airlines customer review

Currently flying from Boston to Austin (via Dallas) on AA. Flights have been on time and aircraft condition is not bad. However we are flying with our 3 year old twins who are actually very good travelers and have found that AA is not family friendly at all. They do not offer any pre boarding for families with small children. We travel with carseats for the kids because we find that this keeps them calm and contained throughout the flight a benefit for all on board but this takes a few minutes for us to put into the seats when we get on the plane and is incredibly difficult to do with many other travelers simultaneously boarding. So when they oddly did not call families for pre boarding on this flight we went up to the front during one of the many other pre boarding categories (carrying our carseats and our tired kids walking) and asked if we could pre board. We were told that we could not that others had paid for this service and we would have to wait on the side. We waited as instructed and when we got on we found that most of the plane had somehow already boarded and it was extremely difficult to get set up. We got no offers of help from any staff members. This is the least family friendly airline we have ever flown hope we won't ever have to fly it again - we fly a lot even with the kids will try to avoid AA in the future. Also in flight entertainment was broken on our of our flights.

American Airlines customer review

BCN-MIA on AA 113 26 December in economy. Plane - 767 - dirty scruffy and well used. No seat back screens and on the overhead screens the first film started before the crew handed out ear phones - they were too busy preparing their sleeping quarters. Food dismal and when I went to the galley to ask for some water I was told "Wait 10 minutes and we will be round". But the main issue was safety. No pre take off safety check and on landing 2 emergency exit rows I could see were full of luggage on the floor the occupants on one had ear phones in and their Ipads on window blinds were shut and all this less than 2 metres away from a steward. Disgraceful. The staff were the worst I have ever had and to top it all they took 3 days to deliver our luggage. Never again will I fly with American. If I could give a zero rating I would.

American Airlines customer review

MIA-JFK on 7/1/2014 on AA 1510. As with my 2 previous reports dreadful staff who did no safety checks and again blinds down and some setbacks not up. A dismal old dirty plane - 757 - which must have been 20-30 years old. No info provided prior to landing 're connections and when I asked how to get from T8 to T7 was told "ask in the terminal". I was so pleased that our final leg was with BA. And to cap it all American lost my Wife's luggage again. Why BA and other airlines have codeshare arrangements with this dismal appalling airline is beyond me.