American Airlines

"I did not request a voucher"

Not Verified | I had originally booked a flight for Sunday March 22, 2020 from LaGuardia to Los Angeles. I cancelled my reservation on the 20th of March because of the recent events with the coronavirus, and purchased a different flight. I sent an email to the email address provided through the AA website's refund link, requesting a refund. I get an email 3 days after with a voucher that i did not request. I sent another email explaining that I did not request a voucher and requested for my money to be returned to my credit card. And the email I received was this Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations. I'm happy to help. I understand that you have questions about your voucher offer that you accepted on March 24th for NONAME's flight that you canceled on March 20, 2020. I'm sorry to learn that you are unhappy with the voucher amount you were given in lieu of a refund to your original form of payment. The voucher versus refund offer that is currently being given, whereby customers may be offered a voucher for their non-refundable tickets that is offered exclusively through our online Refunds site, prefunds.aa.com, and are valid for specific tickets and scenarios. At the time you requested a Refund, the voucher amount given was what was being offered. At this time, a refund is not available to you as you've already requested and received a voucher for the full value of the non-refundable ticket. Susan, it may be helpful to know that while the eVoucher is nontransferable and cannot be sold or bartered, the voucher can be used toward the purchase of a ticket for a friend or relative if you prefer. Also, while the voucher must be applied to your purchase prior to the expiration date, the travel may extend beyond the date of expiration. Susan, while I wasn't able to provide a refund to your credit card, as you requested, let me assure you that our position does not lessen our regard for you as our customer. It is always our pleasure to serve you, and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you both aboard again soon Sincerely, Deborah K McCoy Customer Relations American Airlines AA Ref#1-29180159256 They force words into my mouth claiming I accepted a voucher when I never did and was neve given the option to accept one or deny it. I'm extremely frustrated with this airline on top of personal belongings being damaged and I will never fly with them again. I never had this sort of frustration with United Air or Southwest.
RouteLaGuardia to Los Angeles
Date FlownMarch 2020

"know why they have such low ratings"

Not Verified | Miami to Las Vegas. I have flown American in the past. I recently booked a trip to Las Vegas and shortly after, the event in Vegas was cancelled due to the Coronavirus Pandemic. Spirit Airlines quickly refunded my money. Unfortunately, I was booked on American Airlines for the trip back from Vegas. American Airlines refused to refund my money. I wish I would have reviewed this airline first. I now know why they have such low ratings. Now I am stuck with a credit I will likely never be able to use before the year is up. Beware.
RouteMiami to Las Vegas
Date FlownMarch 2020

"will never fly AA again"

Not Verified | Hartford to Cancun. Had a trip planned to Cancun starting May 4, 2020. I called twice to cancel due to the Coronavirus. The Hilton Resort we booked with closed the whole month of May 2020 due to the virus and graciously moved our week to May 2021. That is what you would expect from a reputable business. But American Airlines would not grant us a refund or even give us a voucher that could be used for next year. I asked to speak with a supervisor but was told they were instructed not to do that. I was told that if I canceled, and the flight was not cancelled by AA, then that was my personal choice and then no refund it does not matter that the resort had closed. I countered that the Hilton graciously had moved our week to next year. I was told that was the Hilton they were the airline. I will never fly AA again. Both phone calls went the same way.
RouteHartford to Cancun
Date FlownMay 2019

"first and last time with American"

(Serbia)

Trip Verified | On my flight from Reno to Dallas i had my leg sticking out in the aisle because i'm a tall guy and my legs couldn't fit. The flight attendant was passing by serving drinks and while she was doing so she pinned my leg by the seat with the trolley cart and that hurt quite a bit. She saw what she did and just started laughing, gave me my drink and moved on. About 30 min. later i went to ask another flight attendant to help me with my wifi that i bought to have during the flight. I showed him that i bought the wifi and he interrupted me saying that the problem was with my phone or I bought something else and continued watching his movie on his tablet. That was my first and last time flying with American Airlines.
RouteReno to Miami via Dallas
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"not to allow refunds"

Not Verified | American airlines has made the decision not to allow refunds despite the current situation with the virus. When changing the date due to the situation they tell me that I have to pay a fee of $ 275 per passenger (we are three people) They tell us that the only way to avoid the fee is if I get a ticket again before March 31st. Explain to me how to choose the date if we are in this situation. However, they will receive multi-million dollar aid arranged by the government, but paid by us. We cannot allow this. Let's take practical action to stop this nonsense.. American airlines ha tomado la decision de no permitir reembolsos pese a la situacion que hoy vivimos con el virus. Al cambiar de fecha debido a la situacion me dicen que tengo que pagar un fee de$275 por pasajeros( somos tres personas) Nos dicen que la unica forma para evitar el fee es si vuelvo a sacar pasaje antes del 31 de Marzo. Expliquenme como escoger la fecha si estamos bajo esta situacion. Sin embargo, van a recibir una ayuda multimillonaria tramitada por el gobierno, pero pagada por nosotros. No podemos permitir esto. Tomemos acciones practicas para parar este sin sentido.
RouteMiami to Madrid
Date FlownMarch 2020

"Usual poor in flight standards"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Indianapolis. Worse than a bus ride, but thankfully a relatively short regional flight. Usual American Airlines poor in flight standards, and unfriendly staff. One flies this airline only by necessity, not desire. The only redeeming quality of this particular flight was a charming reservations agent.
AircraftE75L
RouteNew York JFK to Indianapolis
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"memory is of terrible service"

Trip Verified | Indianapolis to Chicago. At a level, it feels a shame to critique airlines in the current crisis; however, when one's memory is of terrible service, uncaring employees, and being metaphorically charged for just about everything except breathing, one can't have much sympathy for the American carriers. To describe this particular regional service as basic would be an exaggeration. American Airlines attitude seems to be to "get the cattle on the truck", and then act as if they were doing passengers a great service by providing a plastic up of ice water. Thank goodness this flight was short, and on time. Seats were incredibly uncomfortable, wifi did not work as usual. Difficult to avoid this airline, due to their relative monopoly in the USA. I wouldn't want taxpayers money to bail them out.
AircraftCRJ7
RouteIndianapolis to Chicago
Date FlownMarch 2020

"They ran out of pilots?"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Charlotte. Cancelled our 1:30am flight at midnight after traveling for 5 hours from Honolulu. We have a 6 month old with us - they gave us the option to wait until 6am for the next direct flight. They ran out of pilots? What kind of reasoning is that?!
RouteLos Angeles to Charlotte

"was refused a refund"

Not Verified | Baltimore to Charlotte. I was due to fly with American Airlines on March 27th. This was a reluctant purchase but the only airline that met my requirements. Previous experience has been less than favorable. Sadly due to President Trump's ban on arrivals from the United Kingdom I am unable to travel to the USA. On top of that I have been put into self-isolation for my protection by my doctor. I contacted the airline and was refused a refund. They do not appear to see that presidential diktats and medical precautions are reasons not to travel on their airline. I appreciate that these days are fraught with uncertainty and things are perilous for the travel industry - they are the same for everyone. I find it surprising that such a major player will not treat its customer with fairness and sympathy. Should we ever risk buying a ticket with them again? An added point - I had extensive travel plans throughout the US on buses, trains and staying in hotels. I had pre-booked tickets. Only American Airlines have refused to countenance any recompense. It is sad to see. Please note - I have been forced to give 1 star regarding flight experience even though I have never been able to take this flight. So based on my experience with customer services I can only speculate that the in flight service would be equally as poor.
RouteBaltimore to Charlotte
Date FlownMarch 2020

"corporate greed at its finest"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Washington to Los Angeles. American corporate greed at its finest. American Airlines has no customer service and wants to pocket as much money as they can during this pandemic. At the end of the month my foreign exchange student manuel was supposed to go on a trip with the foreign exchange program to Washington DC. We booked a flight through Alaska Airlines to go there and a flight with American Airlines to come back. The trip was canceled obviously and Alaska Airlines was kind enough to let him transfer the $135 ticket to somebody else's name since he will not be able to use it but American Airlines decides to keep the $355 ticket and won't let him transfer it to anybody else. He is going back to Spain today so obviously he cannot use that $355 it expires at the end of the year. I hope we don't bail out companies like this. For years they have been profiting millions if not billions of dollars off of high priced tickets and crammed seating with horrible customer service and during this worldwide pandemic they aren't even willing to make exceptions because it affects their bottom line, making money. We got denied on a refund which I expected, but you would think they would be willing to credit the money and let somebody else use it the way Alaska Airlines did. Shame on companies that are using this time to take advantage of customers.
RouteWashington to Los Angeles