American Airlines

"It was a horrible experience"

Not Verified | I flew first class and this the second time that it's been just horrible. I don't know what's happened to the service and quality that I have experienced in the past, but it's certainly not made available to travelers today. The A/C wasn't turned on, we had to get our own water and drinks, if they were even stocked on the plane. Flight attendants checked on us once, we had to put away our own cups before landing, the speakers were off during the safety briefings as we were getting ready to land, the meal that was served was cold. It was a horrible experience and I will not be flying American Airlines again. Don't spend the money to upgrade, as it's not worth it.
Seat TypeFirst Class
Date FlownMay 2022

"the seat had a very, very bright light right at the end of the seat"

Trip Verified | I upgraded my ticket to Business Class to fly the longest leg of my trip (8.5 hours From Buenos Aires to Miami), comfortably. I wanted to be able to sleep throughout the majority of the flight given it was a night flight, I knew I had a 3 hour layover in Miami plus an additional 5 hours to Los Angeles therefore it was needed to rest well. Unfortunately, the seat had a very, very bright light right at the end of the seat (its a flat bed), I tried everything to turn it off, the flight attendant came over and said there was nothing she could do to turn it off, either the lights control panel wasn't working, or there was a missing cover at the end of the seat in front of me. I specifically paid $980 on top of the already paid ticket to be able to have a decent flight, contrary to it I had a brilliant light pointing at my eyes the entire flight, to add salt to the injury the attendant suggested to use the complimentary eye cover to avoid the light, well, I didn't pay close to $1000 for an eye cover. American Airlines should check every seat to make sure all is working properly instead of profiting and not spending money on needed repairs.
RouteBuenos Aires to Los Angeles
Date FlownMay 2022

"4 flights, 1 was cancelled, 2 delayed"

Trip Verified | 4 flights on American this week and of those 1 was cancelled, 2 delayed, and one connecting flight left as we were exiting the gate of the last delayed flight. We were literally a couple of gates away with no checked bags. 1st cancelled flight resulted in us missing our first night at our expensive hotel which AA's response was basically "too bad for you". "But here is $15 for a bag of chips and a bottle of water while you wait until tomorrow for your flight". Connecting flight left resulting in a 6 hour delay for another flight. Just ridiculous. The board members/shareholders of American Airlines need to step up and fire Doug Parker. His responses for poor service has been "We keep up with our competitors". Really Doug? For $12M a year you could at least try. Your leadership is causing more financial loss for American Airlines than the pandemic. Even the airline employees are outspoken about your lack of leadership! I have been flying fairly regularly for 30 years and hadn't had a cancelled or grossly delayed flight until this week, all of them on your airline.
RouteSt. Louis to Orlando
Date FlownMay 2022

"don't waste your money with American"

Not Verified | Had a morning flight at 630 to Charlotte then another to Pensacola. Aircraft problems made me rebook flights multiple times to varying destinations to try and get in the vicinity of where I needed to go. I could have driven there In 6.5 hours. My flight has been pushed back about 8 hours now and I'm still in the airport and have been here for 10 hours. I got a refund and will drive because I can get there faster and cheaper than waiting around and not reaching my destination for 18 hours. Find another airline and don't waste your money with American.
RouteChattanooga to Charlotte
Date FlownMay 2022

"It is a really sad start to our vacation"

Trip Verified | Our luggage got lost somewhere in Amsterdam. It says it has been uploaded to the plane, but it can’t be found anywhere in Dallas. We have been calling with American Airlines who just say write an email. Calling to lost and found and customs in Dallas who don’t have anything. Then we are advised to call to Amsterdam airport, but there is no number of the airline over there. The airport says we need to call our airline. We don’t know how much we can declare, we have filled something to declare but they just don’t respond. It is a really sad start to our vacation.
RouteAmsterdam to Cancun via Dallas
Date FlownMay 2022

"proceeded to tell me it was my fault"

Trip Verified | Absolutely horrendous environment. I had signed up for text message notifications and updates but it had not updated me that my flight had changed. By the time i figured out which gate I was suppose to be at, I was a few minutes too late. Customer service proceeded to tell me it was my fault even though their text message services were said to update me when flights change their terminals. No compensation, just another flight 17 hours later. Not to mention their planes are hot with a tiny ac fan that blows coldish air.
RouteTulsa to Dallas via Las Vegas
Date FlownMay 2022

"This is one awful airline"

Trip Verified | This is one awful airline. They don't appear to do any maintenance on their planes. We taxied out, hung around for two hours and then returned to the hangar because of an engine issue. Slow service at the gates to get a hotel for the night. The flight was scheduled for 10am the next morning. After we got to the airport and through security, we were told the flight was now leaving at 7pm. We could have at least slept in if we had been told this earlier. Then at 5.30pm, the new boarding time, we were told the engine was fixed and now there was a hydraulics issue and no part to fix it with. Apparently they were getting another airplane into service to replace this one with no ETA. As to why this was not done earlier is anyone's guess. Still stuck at the airport with no end in sight. Don't fly American. They are a rubbish company.
RouteIndianapolis to Los Angeles

"a hot stuffy plane"

Trip Verified | Flight #2578 the air didn't work! We were told that when they started the 2nd engine it would cool off, it never did. 5.5 hours in a hot stuffy plane. The airline must be using this same airplane because my daughter is on that same flight # today, 5 days after our flight and she texted from the plane sitting on the tarmack for 30 minutes, no air!
RouteMiami to San Diego
Date FlownMay 2022

"Horrible airline, stay away"

Trip Verified | We already know the American Airlines has poor service and lots of issues. That was the reason we purchased tickets for Alaska. Somehow Alaska dumped us onto AA. Well AA kept us in Miami airport inside the aircraft for 1.5 hrs before they finally understood the air conditioner would not work. All this time the passengers were kept in the hot temperatures where were only getting worse. No cold drinks were proactively offered unless one asked. AA swapped the planes within an hour and boarded. They used the same ice the had in the first plane and loaded it on the second. Part of it melted and flight attendants claimed there was no more ice. One of the AA flight attendants commented: “Something always happens in Miami. That’s why I try to avoid it.” Hence we were late for the connecting flight at Dallas, where The AA customer service offered us (we had 2 young kids with us) to hang out at the gate in case something turned up next 4 flights. Only after I asked to call the manager, he gave us boarding tickets for the next flight in AM. Here we are still trying to board at Dallas and AA doesn’t know when we will be flying . As of now 2743 has been delayed for 1.5 hrs. Horrible airline, stay away.
RouteMiami to San Diego via Dallas
Date FlownMay 2022

"relationship with American Airlines is over"

Not Verified | After my flight was cancelled in Norfolk Virginia because the flight crew was stuck at the LaGuardia airport on May 16, 2022, I thought the worst was over. No hotel accomodations given, no cares given, just rebook your flight for no additional fees as if it were my fault. New flight scheduled for May 18th and the flight has been delayed due to technical issues. We've been stuck on this airplane for 2 hours with no update as to when we will depart. My relationship with American Airlines is over. The unprofessional is unbelievable.
RouteNorfolk to Cleveland