American Airlines

"A complete disaster"

Not Verified | Orlando to Des Moines. Took 3 days. They routed us from Orlando to Miami to Ft. Lauderdale to Charlotte to Des Moines. Refused to comp hotels, meals and transportation even though it was all due to cancelled flights. Spent over $600 in hotels and meals and Ubers. Their response? We don't comp hotels, meals and transportation due to cancelled flights. We were bumped out of First Class and they're only reimbursing us $150.00 per ticket when we paid $900 per ticket for First Class. A complete disaster. Rude employees and a 4+ hour wait time to speak to a live person on the phone.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteOrlando to Des Moines
Date FlownJune 2021

"American Airlines is horrible!"

Trip Verified | American Airlines is horrible! Our flight was delayed which we had no problem with we understand things happen. When we get to Miami they made us go through customs which resulted in us losing our connecting flight, they rescheduled our flight 14 hours later (the following day) and refused to provide a hotel room for us! The. You try to contact customer service and the wait times are 2-3 hours to speak to someone. We had to sleep on the floor of the airport. Absolutely horrible customer service, my father is disabled and can barely walk and they made him sleep on the floor of the dirty airport. I will never buy another flight from American Airlines - this isn’t the first time we’ve had bad service but this was too much. Never again, spend a little extra money and go with another company.
RouteMiami to New York

"worst airline ever!"

Trip Verified | Worst Airline I’ve travelled with in a while. I made reservations for my son & myself, my son was not able to fly, so I went to customer service, she was no help at all told me to cancel his ticket & they had nothing to do with my refund .. so I attempted to cancel & ended up canceling both our tickets. I go back to Customer service and told her what happened she gives me another boarding pass after correcting my cancellation, but did not give me my window seat that I paid my good money for! To get on the small aircraft and find I’m not seated where I wanted, and they gave the empty seat and row where my son was to be seated to someone else . I haven’t sat in a middle seat since I was a kid ... never fly American, worst airline ever!
RoutePhoenix to Chicago
Date FlownJuly 2021

"never fly American Airlines again"

Not Verified | On the way from Dallas to El Paso we had to wait on the tarmac for 1.5 hours as they were trying to do "mechanical Maintenance". NO updates as we sat there, no water for anyone , no fresh air and hardly saw the crew except for pilot. We finally had to leave the plane and went inside. After an hour inside we boarded the plane again and then waited another 45 minutes because some passenger left her medicine in her luggage and they had to get her luggage out. On the return trip from Dallas to home the plane was delayed 3 times and the gate kept getting switched. Originally scheduled to depart at 6:30 it departed at 9:30pm and even that was late because they didn't have enough staff available to board the wheelchair bound passengers. Once in the air it was very stuffy and warm, finally someone in front of us asked why so warm and stuffy and no fresh cool air, They said they didn't realize it and asked the Captain to put the air on. I thought overall they are very short staffed, Their terminal in Dallas Airport was filthy and their crew members we not friendly at all, I would never fly American Airlines again.
RouteDallas to El Paso

"terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | This was my first time flying American airlines and I will avoid it in the future. I had two flights one was bad the second got cancelled. In the plane they were rude, our second flight got cancelled because they didn’t have the crew to fly the plane. The supervisor was arguing with a customer over them getting their flight cancelled while we were all waiting, terrible customer service. They made us wait hours to get a resolution, gave us vouchers that didn't work, had a terrible attitude for a problem they created and all of my interactions with their staff were a nightmare. At the end I spoke to my friends and family about the issues and they knew I was flying American airlines before I told them the airline so this is a recurring problem. If you can only get one thing from my review please be careful and look out for your own safety, aside from the bad service the overheating of the plane was unsafe.
RouteDallas to Houston
Date FlownJuly 2021

"I will never fly with them again"

Not Verified | Every time I have flew with this airline this year it has been a disaster. First go round we had a 12 hour delay because they were understaffed. The second time we were an hour early we stood in line because we didn’t have definite seats. Literally waited the whole time all for them to say the flight was closed when we got up to the counter. I will never fly with them again. On top of no one knows what’s going on when you ask questions. Who wants to deal with all that stress to get home after a vacation where your suppose to be relieving stress. They won’t accommodate you when they’re totally in the wrong.
RouteMiami to Rochester
Date FlownJuly 2021

"nothing short of a nightmare"

Trip Verified | I have been flying American Airlines for over 20 years now since living in the Dallas area and they are based here, there is usually plenty of options for flying times. My most recent trip from Denver to Dallas was nothing short of a nightmare. The flight was scheduled to leave at 2:30 and after several delays, the flight did not leave until after 11:00 pm. I walked into my house exhausted at 3:00 CST. I was a couple of minutes late at the gate for the final flight back, and the supervisor was not going to let me on the plane. Thank goodness a nice gate agent was able to get me on. I had my daughter with me on the same trip and I had to get her back early to South Carolina. What turned out to be an original flight cost of $200 ended up being close to $800. I will go out of my way, even if the time is inconvenient, to use other airlines in the future to avoid using American.
RouteDenver to Dallas

"will not recommend"

Trip Verified | Little Rock to Fort Lauderdale. This has been the most unprofessional experience I have ever had on any airline including Spirit! How are you worst than Spirit? Here is a summary of my trip with this unorganized airline. I am a young woman traveling with 4 children. Once I reached my gate I was told that due to weather the flight was delayed. I was not given any assistance in figuring out an alternative option. I was advised to stay on the flight and find my own hotel accommodations in the connecting city. I found another flight in the same airport to get me to my connecting flight in time. Once I reached my destination I was told that my 1 year car seat was never boarded on the flight. I checked the car seat at the check in counter. My son could not commute on our vacation without a car seat, therefore neither could I. Huge inconvenience! On my return flight, it was delayed again and there was no option. I had to leave the airport with children after I've made it to the gate and return the next morning. I get back home to find that my car seat is missing. This has been the worst experience. To make matters worst, not only does this airline not care about the safety of children, they could care less about my concerns. I have emailed the customer service department twice with no response. I will not recommend this airline for any family.
RouteLittle Rock to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownJuly 2021

"series of misfortunes we had"

Trip Verified | It is with deep regret that I am writing this letter to explain the series of misfortunes we had in our experience with your airline. On July 23rd, my wife, 4-month old daughter and I were scheduled to fly from Los Angeles to Tel Aviv with a connection in Miami. We were astonished to learn that parents with an infant were prevented from selecting seats online and especially via a representative. This seat selection blunder ended up getting us the worst seats on the plane, which might have been the least of our problems with American Airlines. On our way to the airport we saw that our flight was an hour delayed. As we did the check in, your AA representative said this would not be a problem and we will still make the connection from Miami to Tel Aviv. So, we proceeded with the check-in and went through security. After an hour waiting for boarding, we saw that the flight was delayed for an additional hour. This of course meant we would miss the connecting flight to Tel Aviv. The staff at the gate told us to speak to the staff at the customer service booth at LAX. The service at the AA booth had us waiting for over an hour in line, and almost made us miss our flight! After waiting for almost an hour, we were only told by customer service representative to go on the flight and the staff in Miami will have to guide us on what to do next. When we boarded the flight, they told us we needed to check in one of our carry on's that contained all of our baby stuff for the flight and when we said we needed it with us - they told us we are the last ones. And said, that it is our fault we needed to check in - mind you, we were only late because we were standing in customer service line for an hour. This lack of foresight, care, and empathy for a family traveling with an infant is beyond me. And is a true reflection of the character of this airline. When we landed in Miami around 9pm, we got off the flight and immediately were sent to re-booking without our luggage. When we tried to find our luggage we were told it was on hold because we were supposed to have a connecting flight which we missed due to the delay. We were in line to re-book for over 2 hours. When we finally got to rebook a flight to Tel Aviv, we were told that since all American Airlines hotels are full they were unable to offer us any accommodation and we need to pay out of pocket for accommodation, transportation, new covid test and food. As far as we know the airline must provide accommodation and food vouchers if a flight has been cancelled or delayed due to the airline's fault. We ended up paying $350 to rent a car so we can get to our hotel, we paid $400 for 2 nights for accommodation, we had to do a new rapid covid test which cost us $150 ($450 for the 3 of us), in addition to $300 for food cost, and an extra $100 for clothes and diapers since we didn't receive our luggage. Our total expense sums up to $1600.
RouteLos Angeles to Tel Aviv via Miami
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Please think twice before booking with American Airlines"

Trip Verified | This was one of the worst experiences of my life. I was going to travel alone to visit my dad in Houston. I am a young woman and was left alone 3 hours away from home or anyone I knew with no help from anyone. I get on the plane, by guessing where I was supposed to go because when I asked people that worked at the airport they would not help me. I get on the plane and the plane is sitting for 30 minutes before we finally go and the attendants are giving out directions in case of emergency. We got to the point where they turned the lights off and told us to turn our phones on airplane mode and we were about to take off. About 20 minutes later nothing happens and the pilot tells everyone there is a mechanical problem with the plane and that they were trying to fix it but couldn’t. We get off of the plane and the flight is cancelled. I am now in a place where I don’t know, alone, and have no where to go. They would not let me get my luggage that night and were claiming that it would get to my final destination eventually. I have been lied to saying that there was no “managers” there and that they had no one to get passengers bags, even though I expressed that my daily medicine is in my suitcase. I eventually find a hotel, but figure out that they put the reason for the plane saying it was cancelled was because of a “missing crew member” even though everyone on the flight heard exactly what the pilot said. If I did not have enough money for a hotel room, I would have not had anywhere to stay, and they locked us out of the airport. They are hiding mechanical errors in planes as “missing crew members” so they do not have to compensate for hotels. That is fraud. Please think twice before booking with American Airlines.
RouteCharlotte to Houston