American Airlines

"the second bad experience in the last two months"

Not Verified | Bad customer service. On October 18, I was flying from Norfolk, Virginia to Sacramento, California and I faced another bad experience with American Airlines. This is the second bad experience in the last two months. I was already in the airplane when the flight attendant announced that Charlotte airport had some water issues so my flight was delayed. It meant that I was missing my connecting flight. After few minutes, the flight attendant announced that at that point they did not know when the airplane will be departing so passengers started leaving the plane and tried to rebook their flights since the majority of the passengers were missing their connecting flight. When we returned to the airport, there was mess. American Airplanes agent was rude to all passengers, American Airlines did not have plan B for the situation. There was a chaos by the gate. American Airlines agents were not able to give clear message or clear updates. I started rebooking my flight - they refused to rebook the flight from Norfolk to Charlotte, they said that I needed to pay again for the flight or I could fly to Charlotte and spend a night at the airport or I could book the hotel at my own expense. I had no other option but fly to Charlotte and book the hotel and pay for the hotel on my own. Another thing, do not buy their internet, it doesn’t work most of the flight anyway. If you want to be treated like normal passenger, fly with another airlines.
RouteNorfolk to Sacramento

"could not care less"

Trip Verified | New York to Palm Springs via Phoenix. We paid for our tickets round trip, and contacted American to see if we could get an earlier flight from Phoenix to Palm springs. The agent sold us an earlier flight at $98 per ticket. On the return flight, our tickets were canceled and there was no explanation given. After numerous emails back and forth with customer service "representative", we were told that we had not completed our flight and thus, the remainder of our ticket had been forfeited. I explained what had happened regarding purchasing an earlier flight, and was told by American that our flight in the afternoon would be canceled, however they accused us of trying to cheat the airline. More emails back and forth, and she then finally, in what she considered a magnanimous act, returned the unused portion of our tickets. By now, with $627.90 For the original tickets, $198.00, for the change to an earlier flight charge, and then $482.90 to fly home after they cancel our tickets and we're not allowed to use what we already paid for, the grand total for two round trip tickets to Palm Springs became $1308.80! Now the biggest and funniest part of this whole story, is that when I went to use the unused portion of the ticket it was worthless. And the customer service agent I spoke to in Texas, was just as rude. Needless to say, I will never fly an American Airlines again. They literally could not care less about their passengers.
RouteNew York to Palm Springs via Phoenix
Date FlownMay 2021

"ignorant flight attendants"

Trip Verified | Knoxville to Houston via Charlotte. Uncomfortable, the flight here was even worse for 3 hours but nothing makes it worse than rude ignorant flight attendants. I remember the days were they were nice and gained respect just because but these two are rude, and not polite, or educated. If you add that to the fact that the flight is late for no reason and you are not going to make your connection with no sympathy this airline sucks. Use to be great with Delta and the reason why I was always willing to pay more. Now I know is a mistake and I need to stay with United.
AircraftCRJ900
RouteKnoxville to Houston via Charlotte
Date FlownOctober 2021

"will never fly with them again"

Not Verified | Honolulu to Nashville. American Airlines have to be the worse airline ever. They expect you to pay a lot for your flight but when your flight is canceled on their end they feel it's nothing they can do about it but reschedule you on longer flights. If I wanted a longer flight that is what I would have booked from the start. Long story short I will never fly with them again and I suggest no one else do as well.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteHonolulu to Nashville
Date FlownOctober 2021

"never been so disgusted with an airline"

Not Verified | I have never been so disgusted with an airline, customer service and their lack of information as I have been with this company. Even after not having a pilot they boarded the whole plane and let us sit for an hour, no information, no explanation. When the finally cancelled it and we finally got off the flight customer service basically told us the luggage being on the cancelled flight wasn't their problem. The people at luggage customers service were the rudest, most uneducated on the airlines process that could have been there. After the cancelled flight they tried to get us booked on a flight 2 days later! Completely unacceptable. What were we supposed to do, miss 2 full days of work because of your screw up? Never again will u get my business!
RouteBarbados to Baltimore via Miami

"Really awful people"

Trip Verified | Really a deceptive and dishonest company. I live in Colombia and was told that if I canceled my ticket (Premium Economy) I would be able to apply the value to a future trip. No! When I tried to rebook BOG NYC was told that because their company had issued me a "flight credit" I have to fly from the USA to use it. How does that help someone who doesn't live in the USA? and why would they issue me a "trip credit" seeing that I am not flying from the USA? Why? to steal your money, of course. Probably it's because their agents do not know how to work with foreign currency units and at AAL they do not think for themselves but are only robots in the service of their computers. For the flight, not a "dinner" flight as advertised. DINNER/LUNCH/BREAKFAST flights are all hot meals, anything else is a "snack." So, for this "snack" flight we all got 1/2-a-sandwich and some crisps. Inflight entertainment system was out as always (the earphone jack was broken) but since this happens all the time with this company I brought movies on my telephone to watch since the last time I sat in the dark for six hours with nothing to do. Cabin crew also terrible: even though I was sat in a "Main Cabin Extra" seat that is sold with the promise of free adult beverages all I managed was a can of Coke. I went to the back after four hours for a second coke but was met with a frown of condescension. Really awful people. Ground staff in Colombia was super of course.
RouteBogota to Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"understand nothing about time"

Trip Verified | American Airlines understand nothing about time. The flight can get delayed 3 times just because the flight attendant doesn’t have a proper time management. Extremely unprofessional. And of course they won’t credit you for wasting your time.
RouteCharlotte to Cleveland
Date FlownOctober 2021

"made us miss our connecting flight"

First started with a four hour delay even though we were the very first flight out. Which then made us miss our connecting flight. Our only option was a 6 hour layover which was then delayed twice and has become a 8 hour layover. We missed our wedding rehearsal and dinner and now have to get a rental car. We called American and they were the least bit apologetic or helpful. All of this for poor seats in a very old outdated plane and nasty cookies and not very friendly people. Will never fly American again unless they make it right with us. Which is doubtful.
AircraftCRJ700 / A321
RouteFt Lauderdale to Sat Lake City via Charlotte
Date FlownOctober 2021

"AA is holding on to the Covid excuse to cut corners and gouge customers"

Not Verified | American Airlines needs to stop using Covid as an excuse for their excessive lack of service. I flew SFO-JFK round trip Oct. 3rd through 7th in 1st class on their flagship flights (supposedly of a better quality than regular first). After paying almost $5000 I was extremely dissatisfied upon my return. We left SFO without complication, but no Flagship lounge was open at SFO and there were no "fast tracks" through security. The seats and cabin were fine on both flights, but the service was much better from SFO. The food was what used to be a regular coach meal. It was all on one tray and not really edible, and no pre-departure beverage offered. The flight attendant was extremely nice and attentive though. The flight back from JFK was an extremely different experience. After the hideous line and rude treatment through TSA we were happy to be in the recently opened Flagship lounge and enjoyed a fabulous meal (maybe the best of our trip) at the restaurant there. The flight left on time and again no pre flight beverage offered and there wasn't even a menu which is usually there even though you can place your order online before the flight if preferred. The flight attendant's were hit and miss sitting for the majority of the flight. When the meal tray was placed in front on me it was just laughable. It was described online as "the chef's special pasta" but was a disgusting, dried up serving of canned Chef Boyardee ravioli. It was served with a roll in a plastic wrapper, some sort of weird side dish and what they called cheesecake but was really rubbery. None of it was edible. The flight attendant offered to get me whatever was left over (some type of beef), but I declined. No glassware on this flight and plastic cups were given with only about 1/4 filled and only refreshed if asked. There is no excuse for charging full premium fares and saying that Covid prevents them from offering their normal 1st class service. Most other airlines, especially overseas, have gone back to full service. AA is holding on to the Covid excuse to cut corners and gouge customers. I usually try to avoid this airline, but always forget how truly bad the service is until I dare to try it again.
AircraftA321 Flagship
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteNew York JFK to San Francisco
Date FlownOctober 2021

"3 months and I want my money"

Not Verified | Horrible experience. I fly frequently and I only have issues when I fly with American Airline. Currently I've been trying to get a refund on baggage for a flight that was canceled about 3 months ago. I've sent multiple emails and have been told that someone will get back to me eventually. Well it's been 3 months and I want my money. Not to mention that our flight experience was canceled multiple times and eventually we had to fly with a different airline. It literally was delayed for two days. Literally went back to the airport 3 times to be turned away and have to come back later. And no one at the desk cared at all! This is not the first time I’ve dealt with something like this from American Airlines. The absolute worst company.
RouteTampa to Denver