American Airlines

"not need to be treated this way"

Trip Verified | Salt Lake City to Oklahoma City via Dallas. In Dallas / Fort Worth airport: I had to check in my carry on because I was told there was no room in the overhead storage bins (they were all full). As the flight was preparing for take off, I noticed that four storage bins were completely empty. I was not happy. On my return trip, I had another layover at the Dallas/ Fort Worth airport. There was a problem with my ticket as I was trying to make my connecting flight. I told the person at the information booth upon leaving the airplane about my problem. She was impatient with me and told me to go to the boarding gate. I went to the gate as instructed with 36 minutes before boarding. There was no one at the booth. When I went to board with my problem ticket, the person checking tickets was irritated with me telling me I should have talked to someone before boarding. I was tired from the previous flight. I did not need to be treated this way.
RouteSalt Lake City to Oklahoma City via Dallas
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Worst experiences with this airline"

Trip Verified | Greenville to San Diego via Dallas. Worst experiences with this airline and i’m done with them if I can ever get off this tarmac. On my flight out here i had a one hour layover that turned into a 4hr layover. I didn’t end up to my hotel until close to 1am and had to get up for work 4hrs later. Now on my way back to San Diego I had a one hour layover again and i’ve been stuck on the plane on the tarmac for 2hrs with no end in sight. They told us at first we didn’t have pilots and then that we had a bad tire. They also oversold every plane I was getting on both ways and EVERY trip was delayed at least 30 mins just trying to get people to sell their seats. They offer a voucher for about $450 and just wait. If people don’t take it after 10-15mins they up they voucher offer. I seen this go on for 45mins. Did I talk about how I got my luggage back minus the handle i gave it to them with?
RouteGreenville to San Diego via Dallas
Date FlownJuly 2019

"refused to process my refund"

Trip Verified | Salt Lake City to Orlando. I fly once a month or more for work. Occasional plans change and I change or cancel my reservation. I’ve never had a problem canceling and receiving a refund if I cancel it within 24 hours of when it was booked. I needed to cancel an American flight within 5 hours of booking they cancelled if just fine but then refused to process my refund. I was stunned I spent 2 hours trying to get ahold of someone but they refused to help me and best they were willing to do was rebook it. I’ve canceled well over 10 flights within the 24 hour window and this is the first time I’ve been given grief. Very frustrating. I would like to say I’ll never fly American again however sometimes it’s my only option. But I will say this they will be the last option for the indefinite future I’d even choose frontier and spirit over them.
RouteSalt Lake City to Orlando
Date FlownJuly 2019

"unprofessional and unacceptable behavior"

Trip Verified | On July 15th, flight #1835 C17 from Dallas to Las Vegas has been cancelled after delaying for 2 hours. We got passes for waiting list for gate C29 where all the unprofessional behavior started. The supervisor started yelling to us why we went there and we have to remain quiet without asking questions! Of course we have not been in the second flight and when we asked what is the next step, the supervisor of AA said that she will call the police! She said that she’s working for 12 years at the AA and no one will touch her for her behavior! Finally we left unhelpful from C29 and went back to C17 where an agent gave us new boarding pass for another flight after 3 hours. Total delay 6 hours. But the point is the unprofessional and unacceptable behavior of the supervisor who believes that she owns the company. I have never dealt with a worse customer service and worse employee in my life. What a disgrace for the company keeping people like her dealing with customers. Never again with AA we are family of 4.
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Las Vegas via Dallas

"would not recommend"

Trip Verified | Pittsburgh to Montego Bay via Charlotte. Cancelled , delayed flights rebooked not till days later return flight worse delays circling airport flew to Raleigh for fuel back to Charlotte to circle more landed sat for 20 minutes till gate disembark no food available, no customer service. We flew out of Jamaica at 12:30 pm arrived at Charlotte 8:00pm ( that’s 7 1/2 hours it’s a 3 1/2 hour flight) left Charlotte 10:00 pm arrived in Pittsburgh at 12:00 am . no customer service no food given to us the entire trip This trip took longer than it should have we traveled with a child. No excuses would not recommend American Airlines
RoutePittsburgh to Montego Bay via Charlotte
Date FlownJuly 2019

"overcharged and treated badly"

Trip Verified | Across 6 flights I had an issue every time! 1st flight: seat didn’t recline and tray table didn’t stay up 2nd flight: was charged for baggage twice and never refunded, was told the matter was closed and I would not be compensated 3rd flight: i booked these flights for someone else and they had to be changed. 36 hours, 4 phone calls and a visit to the help desk at the airport (was told to do that) saw me having to forfeit the total cost of the flights. Not one person wanted to help, they kept pointing me in another direction until it was impossible to change anything due to the time. 4th flight: what was meant to be a 90 minute flight was a delayed flight that had me sitting in the aircraft for 8hours! No food was available due to it being a ‘short haul’ flight. 5th flight: my partner had a direct flight from NY to Miami at 7:30 am, with no notice they changed it to a connecting flight to Atlanta at 2:30pm, this flight kept getting delayed and no one wanted to help him get to his destination without being stuck in Atlanta. He eventually got on a 7:30pm flight! 6th flight: the power point in my seat didn’t work. The response from ‘customer service’ is appalling! I was overcharged and treated badly.
RouteMelbourne to Miami via LA /New Orleans

"customer service disappointing"

Trip Verified | Washington to Charlotte. The customer service was disappointing. The customer rep from DCA to CLT was more interested in others conversation than to me, who was in front of her, talking to her. In addition, the look she gave me, was like I was bothering her, although I was paying for an upgraded seat.
RouteWashington to Charlotte
Date FlownJuly 2019

"never fly American again"

Trip Verified | Boston to Cancun via Philadelphia. American Airlines sent me a text at 5:45 pm on Saturday July 6th telling me my flight at 5:15 Boston to Philly was cancelled but the flight Philly to Cancun was not. They put me on hold for hours, missed my friend's wedding reception. We left from Boston and flew 6:30 and we would leave Miami at 3:15. That also got cancelled. We had an 11 hr lay over and not slept so we got a hotel to sleep for a while. We spoke with a pilot who was called in to fly another flight to Cancun and he looked into it and told us it was a crew issue. He said they did not have a crew to fly the plane. We got to the resort at 10:00pm and lost a whole day. American Airlines Customer service are telling me it was weather related and will not compensate us. I will never fly American again.
RouteBoston to Cancun
Date FlownJuly 2019

"go with a more reliable airline"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Quito via Philadelphia / Miami. A 3-leg journey supposed to take 18 hours. First flight (MAN-PHL) ended up delayed by 2 hours as we had to return to gate to rearrange the luggage due to an issue with "centre of gravity". This meant I missed my connection in Philadelphia (and consequently all of my subsequent connections!). Airline staff were pleasant and organised me a hotel for the evening and replacement flights for the following day. PHL to MIA was very successful with the flight fulfilling my very basic requirement of travelling from one place to another relatively on time. Miami to Quito however was not so successful. It was announced 10 minutes prior to departure that there was going to be at least a 2 hour delay due to waiting for a replacement pilot! This time got gradually later and later. Finally arrived in Quito however at this point had missed my ongoing flight. As this had been booked separately from AA they offered no help for me to rearrange. Only positive about this airline is the really helpful flight attendants who I would commend. Nearly every review talks about delayed and cancelled flights - really take this into account, especially if you have transfers! Definitely worth paying a bit more to go with a more reliable airline in future.
RouteManchester to Quito via Philadelphia / Miami
Date FlownJuly 2019

"could camp out in the terminal"

Not Verified | Atlanta to Dallas via Corpus Christi. The staff refused to help my partner and I with Hotel accommodations that ATL promised us to due to our delayed flight caused by mechanical errors. Told us we could camp out in the terminal until the next day and mentioned we could go online to find hotels without means of transportation. Finally spoke to someone from AA Customer Service who did, in fact, confirm that mechanical errors automatically provide paying customers with hotel accommodations. By the time we reached the phone agent, the staff literally left the premises and did not return to us and left two of her desk agents to help us out. What a sorry excuse of a Supervisor.
RouteAtlanta to Dallas via Corpus Christi