American Airlines

"lost reputation of customer service"

Trip Verified | I want to start by saying that American Airline customer service used to be one of the top few years ago, that unfortunately has change. I had a trip planned to Cancun on 11/28/20 at 10:17 am. Unfortunately we missed that flight, we went to the front desk requesting another option to get to our destination . The clerk stated that we could flight to Dallas at 12:15 and we would arrive to Cancun at 6 pm . He also stated that we were placed in a stand by list for the Dallas flight that if we pay $75 we could secure the seats. After debating with my wife we agreed to pay that price. Later on we found out this person make a big mistake by sending us to cancun in the 7:25 pm flight from Dallas instead of the 1707 flight at 2:09. It was a very stressful period that finally got solved. When in Cancun i checked my bank account and i found two $75 charges and two $30 at the same time. I called the customer service who stated I was charged for my luggage and $150 for me and my wife to secure the flight. I was never inform of the total price neither the luggage fee resulting in me calling Chase bank to cancel this charges since i dint recognize them. Every where you go buy something you have to be inform of how much you have to pay. Im really surprise of how American has lost such reputation of customer service.
RouteTampa to Cancun
Date FlownNovember 2020

"personnel escort me off the flight"

Trip Verified | I was kicked off a flight for making a snap chat video. When I was told to delete it I did and on top of that I took it a step further to show them my story and my personal pictures that I did not have video. The flight attendant left and I thought that was the end of it. The flight attendant complained after I complemented her and claimed I was drunk to get me kicked off the plane. I was not drunk and I was very polite and very sober. Does not matter. They turned the plane around, had 3 personnel escort me off the flight and told me it’s my fault even though the manager admitted he wasn’t there and doesn’t know the story. I was compliant and didn’t argue and was very quiet bc I needed to get home. I’m now pushed to a different flight and the costs to babysitting and my life went up $500 just bc some flight attendant didn’t like me. I’m not sure how to act on a plane these days.
RoutePhoenix to Santa Ana
Date FlownNovember 2020

"refused to get us a hotel"

Trip Verified | Missed second flight because when we landed there was another plane in our terminal. American refused to get us a hotel because they blamed the weather even though it was their fault. Forced my toddler and pregnant wife to spend the night in the airport
RouteSavannah to Salt Lake City via Dallas
Date FlownNovember 2020

"disgusted by the disorganization of seating"

Not Verified | Refuse to fly American Airlines again. I understand many companies are hurting due to the pandemic and especially airlines, but the safety and satisfaction of customers should come first and foremost. I was absolutely disgusted by the disorganization of seating and how packed these planes were. I also felt extremely cramped and the staff wasn’t exactly friendly. I will pay extra if I have to do that I can avoid using this airline again.
RoutePhiladelphia to Miami
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"do not practice social distancing"

Trip Verified | American Airlines they do not practice social distancing. COVID is not a factor. Passengers on flight no mask on and one was coughing. Never made aware you book full flights. Money should not be a factor when it comes to people’s lives. 2 to a seat on each end should be the safe practice not 3. Never will fly this airline again. I was with wheelchair assistance and noone came until after the aircraft was completely empty with not even the crew. I had to start walking. Wheelchair assistance was called 3 times. Unbelievable! Your customer service is awful! We wonder why we can’t recover from Pandemic. No one adheres to protect.
RouteMedford to Phoenix via Dallas

"Worst possible experience"

Trip Verified | Lubbock to Dallas Ft Worth. Worst possible experience. Disgusting horrible customer service. Their horrible planes are either delayed or cancelled making everyone’s life miserable. This airline should be shut down.
RouteLubbock to Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownNovember 2020

"The most terrible experience today"

Trip Verified | The most terrible experience today - the were not able to accommodate us with disability. The put us in the end of the plane to walk on crutches, even though we’re were willing to pay for the seats in the front of the plane. The checkin desk person told us no need to buy tickets then, and that people at the gate will be able to accommodate us. No true! Everybody was extremely rude at the gate, don’t even try to assign us seats that are appropriate with injuries, more over they told us to board last, standing (on crutches) and waiting for all people to move through the plane. On a top of that there was no room for our luggage, because we checked in last. Will never fly this airline again and don’t recommend anybody with special needs ever fly this airline!
RouteBoston to Charlotte
Date FlownNovember 2020

"has got to be the worst customer support"

Not Verified | This has got to be the worst customer support I have ever dealt with in any airline. I have been on the phone for hours now trying to book a flight with a credit and they still can’t figure it out. They just want to push it off on someone else. I will not be flying American Airlines again after all this hassle.
RouteAustin Texas to Flint Michigan
Date FlownMay 2020

"refused to offer a refund"

Not Verified | Conference I was flying to for a class was cancelled because of the pandemic. I was just outside American Airlines cancellation window, and they refused to offer a refund despite me telling them I don't normally fly for vacations, and now especially with the pandemic I work at a hospital and do not have the time to take one. I don't know anyone who travels that could use the credit They kept my $700+ dollars basically. Customer service, including the supervisor, was really rude too.
RouteSeattle to Detroit
Date FlownAugust 2020

"has been an absolute nightmare"

Not Verified | Flying with American Airlines has been an absolute nightmare. I will never again in my life fly with American. The customer service is horrid from the start. Our flights were changed multiple times. I have paid multiple times to pick seats and have never sat in the seats I paid for because American Airlines keeps changing my seats. I had a seat and an extra seat and at one point today I had a seat on one flight with my extra seat on a totally separate flight. They can't seem to figure it out. I want refunded for all those seats I paid for and never sat in!!! Our connecting flights were even changed while we were flying to that airport and we weren't told until we arrived at the airport. Along with that, I needed to use the disabled cart services. The guys running the carts were standing around talking to each other instead of getting me to my gate and they tried to close the doors on me. The lady at the gate told me I should have been faster if I wanted on the flight! While having a disability that makes it hard to walk, she kept telling me to walk faster. She was so disrespectful and rude. They tried not to honor my extra seat on the last flight out to Sacramento from Dallas Fort Worth. So many of our flights have been cancelled and rescheduled with little to no notice to get us onto the flights in time. The staff has been so rude and unhelpful during this entire time of flying to my destination and flying home. When I arrived to Sacramento, I requested a wheelchair because of my physical disabilities and I was told NO by American Airlines flight attendants because I didn't use one in Dallas. I was on the disability cart in Dallas to get to my terminal faster (which the people in my group who walked beat us there because the guys driving the carts were standing around talking as we waited for them to stop socializing so we could get to our gates). So I was denied wheelchair use while having a physical disability by American Airlines. Do not waste your money on these people. Fly with Delta, Southwest or United who seem to have better customer service skills and who will help you and fix their mistakes rather than blaming the customer for the error because American will not own up to their mistakes that they made! When we first made our reservations I had to call them out on Twitter to get them to own up to their error because they wouldn't combine my extra seat with my original seat and said they could cancel our flights as they please at any moment because of duplicate tickets in my name rather than just fixing their error for it to say it was an extra seat.
RouteSacramento to Knoxville