American Airlines

"Worst customer Service ever!"

Trip Verified | Worst customer Service ever! I will never fly with this airline again. I rarely fly first class but really needed some me time so I decided to treat myself. From the moment I sat down not one word from the stewardess. I was not asked if I was ok, did I need anything ... nothing! She literally took some reading material from her personal bag and was gone the whole flight! The stewardess from the back came up to get something and I stopped her and asked if I could have a cup of ice, which she gave me. Then again no one around. Then they collected garbage from the back and walked right past me to the front and never took my cup... seriously! I felt like I was being punished for being in first class! I am not a demanding person and very friendly so I don’t know why this happened other than she felt no need to do her job. The plane was not full and I was the only one in first class besides a pilot that was catching a ride who got his own water when he boarded and a woman with a child that I think moved up from the back when they said you can move to a different seat. I was totally disappointed and that stewardess should look for a different job! She made the airline that she represents look very bad as well as herself. Shame on her. I don’t normally right reviews but felt like this warranted mentioning.
AircraftCR9
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteCharlotte to Destin/ Ft Walton
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"No communication at all for flight changes"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience! The customer service staff are so rude. No communication at all for flight changes. Its a joke to think you'll be compensated or contacted by this airline. Please ride Jetblue or United! Take my word and save yourself frustration dealing with this airline and staff.
RouteCharlotte to Richmond
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"cancelled my flight literally 5-6 times"

Trip Verified | I have booked with American several times and they have cancelled my flight literally 5-6 times in 2 weeks. I am still trying to get out! I call and talk to a manager and the manager assures me this time that my seat was secure and I would get out this time only to be cancelled again. I’m suppose to fly out tomorrow. I understand things happen but this is getting out of hand. I wouldn’t be so annoyed if they would at least give me my money back so I could fly with someone else.
RouteSan Jose to Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"you should be entitled to a damn refund"

Trip Verified | I have been unable to even fly out. I purchased my ticket and they have cancelled it 5 or 6 times in a row. I asked about getting my money back so I could go with a different carrier and they refused! I have a credit of close to $300 that I am unable to use and I don’t have the money to buy a complete new ticket. I wound up missing my daughters birthday and I’m on the verge of losing my new job because of it. If they cancel you this many time, you should be entitled to a damn refund!
RouteSan Jose to Dallas
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"I don't think they bother to clean"

Trip Verified | Flew out to Alaska on Delta Airlines with no issues. My return flight was with American Airlines. The first flight was packed! No empty seat. All they gave us was a small sanitizing wipe to wipe down our seats and trays. No beverages or snacks on the flight. My seat did not even have a monitor in the seat in front of me. This was almost a 6 hour flight with no entertainment! Layover in Chicago and again, the terminal was packed which made me realize this flight was packed also! Walking through the jet bridge, there were signs that said they care about your safety, make sure to wear your face mask and keep social distance. As I boarded the plane, I mentioned to the flight attendant, how can we social distance when all the seats are filled? She said, "well, American Airlines wants to make money, so they will sell all the seats they can.". As I walked by her, she followed up with "after all, it is a business and businesses need to make money." I also just saw the AA CEO on the news stating the airline was doing all it can for passenger safety and may have to let employees go if the government does not offer up more help. When I got to my seat, the monitor and the tray in the seat in front of me was disgusting! I don't think they bother to clean because they hand out these little sanitary wipes and expect the passenger to clean it themselves! I will never fly American Airlines again!
RouteAnchorage to Boston via Chicago
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"not cleaning prior to boarding"

Not Verified | Boarding flight- old masks and garbage from previous people left at my seat. Clearly they are not cleaning prior to boarding. No social distancing- packed like sardines without middle seat open like other airlines. On the positive they hand you water and snack as you board.
RouteSan Jose to Columbia
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"American Airlines is putting passengers at risk"

Trip Verified | During the current state of our pandemic American Airlines is putting passengers at risk. The airline has a false threat of banning passengers that do not comply with wearing their masks. I mentioned to a flight attendant that a specific passenger was not wearing her mask and that my wife had already politely asked her to wear it while she was standing right next to us. The flight attendant said “honey we have been dealing with this the entire pandemic.” She did not even go address that passenger and make her put her mask on. Clearly if the flight attendants will not even confront passengers about complying with wearing their mask they will not follow through with banning people from flying. American Airlines is not doing their part to ensure the safety of all of their passengers.
RouteJackson Hole to Tampa

"No social distancing"

Not Verified | Puerto Vallarta to Los Angeles with American Airlines. Terrible customer service, paid an extra $1,600 for a ‘transferable’ flight. Total sham. No social distancing, the worst flying experience of my life. Will never fly them again.
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"airline did not impose any social distancing at all"

Not Verified | I am very frustrated with my flying experience. This airline did not impose any social distancing at all. People were crammed in this plane like sardines. There was a young woman directly behind us that refused to wear her mask. The flight attendants did not say anything to her. I told her to put her mask on and she told me that she had already had Coronavirus. I now have Covid 19 and so do 3 of my family members. I was negative before the trip and so were my family members. We tested because the state of Massachusetts required that we be tested before we entered the state. The flight I was on was #1843 from Charlotte, NC to Boston, MA on September 17, 2020. I just called the airline to report this incident to them, and they literally hung up on me after transferring me once.
RouteAsheville to Boston via Charlotte

"check-in cutoff time"

Not Verified | I arrived at the very small AA check-in station in the Wichita Falls airport thirty minutes before my flight's departure time. There was no one at the computer and no way to summon anyone. I waved at some AA employees behind a glass wall but they would not acknowledge me. I could not go through security without a boarding pass and there was no one to give me a boarding pass. After I was turned away and went back home i lodged a complaint. They answered that there was a "check-in cutoff time," after which the computer will not allow anyone else to be checked in. I believe it would be a good thing if the "check-in cutoff time" were advertised, or at least publicly posted, as this is the first I have ever heard of such a thing. I understand that there comes a minute when the planes doors are being shut. I understand the need for security measures, time consuming though they may be. But since there is apparently a specific moment in time after which " the computer system automatically restricts the ability to check any passenger in for the flight," I feel that this fact ought to be known by everyone. Perhaps it could even be noted on the ticket for each flight. I understand that people are advised to arrive early and I understand why. I followed a link they provided that was supposed to provide information about the "computer cutoff time." If it is mentioned anywhere on AA's website it is buried someplace. I would also like to reiterate that, at this small, unbusy airport--if I could only have received a boarding pass--I could have casually strolled through security checkpoint, walked unhurriedly to the boarding area, and joined the line of other people who were still boarding the plane. The only problem was the unmanned reception desk caused by this "check-in cutoff time". There was no, to me, (and I am a reasonable person) obvious logistical problem that would have prevented all required security measures from being observed and yet still allowed me to board and find my seat with a quarter of an hour or more to spare before the doors were closed. Even though I was only half an hour early instead of a full hour early, in this small venue, I can't help but believe that the fault for my denial of a boarding pass lies with AA's organizational structure rather than with failure on my part.
RouteWichita Falls to Dallas / Ft. Worth