American Airlines

"luggage completely ruined"

Not Verified | Chicago to London. Food and service was good. Seats are comfy. Good flight overall. Airline needs to take better care of their passengers belongings, both mine and my fiances luggage were completely ruined. We now have to buy new luggage. My suitcase had only been used once previously. Very disappointed.
RouteChicago to London
Date FlownNovember 2018

"very comfortable in the air"

Trip Verified | Miami to London Heathrow. Check in and bag drop were easy as a Premium Economy customer can use Priority where the lines are very short. This is conveniently located next to the Priority TSA security lane that I was able to use so I was airside in MIA about 15 mins after dropping my bag. Once airside, because I'm a Oneworld Sapphire cardholder, I was eligible to use a lounge. Whilst AA has more than one lounge in MIA I headed for the best one which is the Flagship Lounge. Lots of space and different seating areas and points for food and beverage to avoid bottlenecks. The hot food was superb and indulged in a little bit of this together with some champagne and really good Californian red wine. About a 5 min walk to board and most others had already boarded so there was no line at the gate, even though I had priority boarding if needed. The Premium Economy cabin is small, only 3 or 4 rows, with a bathroom right in front of the first row. I had no problem placing my hand baggage in the locker. The seats are very new and comfortable. I flew out Main Cabin Extra (MCE) just a few days earlier so could easily compare the seating. The IFE screen is noticeably bigger than coach as is the width of the seat. The legroom is very comfortable, with a foot rest, but to be honest only a couple of inches more than MCE, but several more than Main Cabin. The Premium Economy recline is really good, so you can create a fairly relaxed seating position overall. Proper ear surrounding headsets give a better sound offering for the movies, which are the same as offered in coach. We were offered drinks and pretzels within 30 mins of departure and the offering was the same as coach. Not much time passed before the main meal came out with more drinks. The food presentation was good, solid crockery and metal cutlery. But after this point, is where it fell flat. The main course appears to be bespoke for Premium Economy, presumably as an enhanced offering. A number of my fellow passengers had pre-ordered special dietary meal. There is also an option to pre-order your main meal even if not for dietary reasons. I had not done this. As a result I was offered no choice and given this bland, tasteless, protein free vegetable risotto. It is the most disappointing long haul inflight main course meal I have had in all my travels. Even more so because I was in Premium Economy. Thank goodness I'd earlier eaten in their Flagship Lounge. About an hour before arrival a light breakfast was served consisting of a fresh fruit plate, banana yoghurt and a small cinnamon pastry with tea or coffee and juices. This was fine, although a hot beverage refill would have been welcome. Despite the disappointing dinner, with the good seat comfort I got about 5 hours sleep. Bag delivered promptly at Heathrow with no issues. My verdict on AA Premium Economy: slick on the ground, very comfortable in the air, but didn't see the premium in the food and beverage offering. I'd fly it again depending on the extra cost over Main Cabin.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMiami to London Heathrow
Date FlownNovember 2018

"fly AA international again"

Trip Verified | London to Miami. I was able to pre-reserve a seat in a Main Cabin Extra row as I'm a Oneworld Sapphire cardholder so this was a great start. Check-in bag drop was a breeze as I was able to use the Priority Check in area even though in Economy. Quickly through Heathrow T3 Fast Track. Then a choice of lounge in T3 for Oneworld (BA, AA, Cathay and the new Qantas lounge). I was entitled to use the AA Admirals Club, but opted instead to use the Cathay Pacific lounge which was great. Once on board I got settled in quickly and was really impressed with the extra legroom I got in Main Cabin Extra and some of the lockers are designated as reserved for these customers. The inflight food and beverage offering is the same as everyone else in Main Cabin. But I can't really grumble. I got a drink and a sweet biscuit within an hour of departure. For Lunch, which followed shortly afterwards, portions were sufficient and the main course very tasty. The FA's were generous with the wine and we're happy to give refills on request. About an hour out from landing a hot small pizza calzone was served with a choice of drinks. The entertainment offering was average with a reasonable selection of modern release movies and the screen and sound were fine. With the exception of leg room, which exceeded my expectations, this flight lived up to what I would expect for a long haul international economy flight. I'd fly AA international again.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteLondon to Miami
Date FlownNovember 2018

"luggage is still in Dallas"

Trip Verified | Departed El Paso Friday morning for Paris with a two hour layover in Dallas Tx. Monday night my luggage is still sitting in Dallas. Putting a piece of luggage on an airplane is beyond their brain capacity. Does anyone at American Airlines actually care? Are you listening to customers or just collecting flight benefits as you ramsack luggage building your wardrobe? Carry on luggage only.
RouteEl Paso to Paris via Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownNovember 2018

"do not take care of the customer"

Trip Verified | Hartford to Chicago. I accidentally booked a flight for 7.30pm not 7.30am. I paid 200.00 to change the flight and an additional 300.00 because the rate changed. I arrived to the airport to leave at 7.30am and the plane broke down. The repair took all day and we ended up leaving at 730pm after all and they will not refund the additional amount paid to take the early flight that I was not able to get on. They nickle and dime you for everything but do not take care of the customer when they are at fault. I have flown 13 times since May and this is how they treat me.
RouteHartford to Chicago
Date FlownNovember 2018

"will remember the kindness"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Philadelphia. When I purchased my tickets, I forgot to secure my seats. By the time I remembered, my seat on my outbound flight was an isle and on the return flight a middle. Although I am slightly claustrophobic, I felt I could manage the return if I kept my mind busy. Well, I was wrong. I will remember my return flight today forever. While waiting for my boarding group number to load, the airline informed us they were looking for 10 people to give up their seats as they were overbooked. They offered a $1,000 voucher. Wanting to get home sooner, I boarded the flight and sat down in my middle seat after the isle passenger moved aside. Once I sat down and with the other passenger next to me, my claustrophobia kicked in and my heart started to accelerate. I felt a cold sweat and a feeling of being trapped. I tried hard to read a book but knew after 1 minute that it wasn't working. I asked the passenger to get up and quickly exited the seat. I rushed up to the stewardess and told her I had a problem. I explained I was having a panic attack due to the middle seat position and my claustrophobia. She immediately looked me in the eye and told me everything would be fine. She told me her father also had the same fear. She helped me out of the plane past the line of entering passengers and told me to take deep breaths. She then went back inside the plane and asked the passenger in the isle seat if they minded moving to the middle. Unfortunately they said no, so she took my carry on bag and escorted me back to the check-in area to be placed in an isle seat on another plane. Now the story does not end there. Because the plane was overbooked, a passenger seated on the isle in the emergency row decided to deplane. Rather than placing another passenger in that seat they brought me back in the plane. The flight was wonderful and I had no further anxiety problems. I even got home on time to see my family. I feel American Airlines and the stewardess went above and beyond. I will remember the kindness they showed me today for the rest of my life.
RouteLas Vegas to Philadelphia
Date FlownNovember 2018

"poor experience from end to end"

Trip Verified | New York to Freeport via Miami. Absolute poor experience from end to end. When we checked in, the boarding passes didn’t work when we entered security. Our re-check-in was done with an attitude of me not understanding how things work - which isn’t very customer service minded. After we arrived at our destination, 2 of 3 checked in luggage’s missed our flight (we had 2.5h layover) and was not found until the day after. Neither of these experiences were managed well, and no one (!!) from the additional assistance during check-in (and re-check-in) to the baggage service representative (via phone) had any empathy or a customer service mentality. Please note, we were traveling with an infant. On the way back to our home, we experienced an unpleasant situation while boarding the first airplane. We were kindly asked to check in a carry on at the counter, and we explained that our carry on had baby equipment required for a long layover (blankets, harness etc.). A classical superviser-type (by attitude) employee from AA interrupted the conversation, without any respect of existing explanation (or emphathy for that matter), and ordered us to check in our carry on. If we did not, she told us we wouldn’t be allowed to board the airplane. “Next flight you’re taking is at 6PM” was her exact words. This was said without even trying to solve our issue! It contributed to the unpleasant situation we experienced at the gate. Worth mentioning we were flying with carry on allowed as part of our ticket. We unwillingly gave up our carry on (incl. important baby stuff) only to discover that half of the overhead bins were empty when boarding was complete. I am frequently using AA for business trips - it’s though no longer my first choice when other options are available. Participated in the post flight questionnaires provided by AA. I honestly gave up after answering questions for 10 minutes - also realized I was only through 1/3 of the steps.
RouteNew York to Freeport via Miami

"exceeded my expectations"

Trip Verified | Orange County to Gainesville via Miami. The airline had no control over the weather delays, but my flight landed late which made me late to my connecting flight home. I had to stay overnight in Miami; I was frustrated, irritated and just wanted to get on my flight. I talked to the gate agent and they gave me a voucher for a hotel ($200 a night kind of hotel). The room I received was a King sized bed with a golf course view of water and palm trees. The company also gave me a $12 voucher in order for me to eat that following day. I was mad about not going home but this company exceeded my expectations! I had a similar situation happen with Delta Airlines and it was a joke. They gave me a $50 voucher as compensation, that was it!
RouteOrange County to Gainesville via Miami

"flight was outstanding"

Not Verified | Topeka to Meridian via Chicago. This flight was outstanding. Seating was comfortable and service outstanding! I highly recommend American Airlines! Will not hesitate to fly with American again.
RouteTopeka to Meridian via Chicago

"by far the worst"

Trip Verified | Oklahoma City to Dallas. American Airlines is a disaster! Let’s review: 1) Plane delayed 30 minutes from OKC to Dallas. 2) Plane delayed 20 minutes after landing in Dallas. 3) Arrive 2 minutes late to catch our 2nd AA flight with 10 other people from our first AA flight! 4) AA didn’t wait for us 10 to catch 2nd flight and even left the gate ~7 minutes before scheduled. We know because we watched the plane back out. 5) Lost $600 in travel costs and 30 hours of my life. 6) This airline is by far the worst, from an organizational standpoint. It’s apparent from every aspect of the way their organization is run.
RouteOklahoma City to Dallas