American Airlines

"unimpressed with customer service"

Trip Verified | Charlotte to Atlanta. Very unimpressed with customer service. I was connecting through Charlotte and saw an earlier flight back to Atlanta available than the one i was on (both american flights). I went to the terminal and they very rudely told me i could not switch flights. I went and checked snd there was 15 seats available on the flight. I went back to discuss with them and offered to pay a transfer fee and they still would not allow it. You would think with how competitive flight industry us that something as simple as switching to an earlier flight where there was plenty of excess seating would be doable. I do not plan to be flying American again.
RouteCharlotte to Atlanta
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Won't fly with them again"

Trip Verified | They cancelled my flight due to lack of staff and logistical error. We sat on the runway for over 90min. The pilot even voiced his frustration over the PA system. I shared detailed information with the airline about how I lost wages and wanted some form of restitution. They decided to claim it was "weather related" which was a flat out lie. Very unprofessional. Won't fly with them again.
RouteChicago to Atlanta
Date FlownDecember 2019

"I will never fly them again"

Trip Verified | This was the worst flying experience I’ve ever had. I understand bad weather happens, but the way this airline handled their problem was unacceptable and offensive to me and likely all the others that AA stuck with the bills that were “complimentary”. I was in NYC getting 2nd opinions on recurrent stage 4 cancer. The weather got bad on my way back home and our plane never left runway. We were all bussed back to the airport and shoves in a small room as they tried to figure out alternate routes. It was disappointing they couldn’t get me home until 11pm the following night due to both NYC airports shutting down so it was a mess. The nice man at the rebooking booth knew it was way too long for someone in my condition to wait it out in an airport as it would be almost 24 hours. He offered me a food credit, 2 shuttle credits, and 2 nights at a hotel he told me was within 2 miles if LaGuardia. Food credit worked great and I got food before I left for the shuttle. I then waited outside in the pouring rain as the shuttle just wasn’t coming even after an hour. Finally I see it and make sure to get on first. It was at that time the driver asked to see the credit and he said okay hop in. Let’s get you to the Bronx! The Bronx I said? It’s true they booked all of use in the hurtle in a Comfort Inn in the Bronx much further than 2 miles. I was just happy to be going to a room as I was beginning to feel weak and tired. I hopped off the bus first and ran in when we got there. This was pure intuition. I walk in and explain and show my vouchers only to be told they don’t take airline vouchers as the rest of the entire shuttle lines up behind me. She called 3 managers on speaker phone and they all said they don’t take them Nor were they notified by American Airlines. So it’s storming and this lobby is full of upset people. They were about to get more upset when the woman tells us all they only have 3 rooms total available for everyone and you must pay for it. I paid for that night and the next day since they refused to take my two vouchers and the next day as my flight was 10pm. It was $175 a night. The next day they end up changing my flight twice so I could longer use my voucher for the shuttle as they didn’t allow me enough time with the last second flight change to sooner take off. Now I had to pay $43 for an uber ride to the airport because they moved the flight back up last second to try and get out before a storm. I did all of this as I had no help and no choice. I explained all of this in detail with proof and there must have been others report this as we had a full large shuttle with people that got no room at all. I provided receipts. They can verify it all. I spent nearly $400 all because of them. They refused to refund anything for months and then send a $143.00 check which I still am unsure where that number came from. I called and they told me to go to the airport as thats the only way to be refunded. I did this and they said no refunds are processed at the airport and to go home and email them. I did that too. Nothing. Very sad for such a large accomplished airline. It’s sad because I fly them often and use an associated credit card. I will never fly them again unless necessary. Regardless, they need to redo their customer service when it comes to the example above. Bad bad! If I wanted to pay I would’ve stayed closer to the airport...
RouteCleveland to LaGuardia
Date FlownAugust 2019

"staff could not care"

Trip Verified | Charlotte to Dallas Ft Worth. Zero accountability and the staff could not care for the inconvenience of scores of passengers and they did as little as possible to accommodate all of us. I knew they were terrible already and should have avoided flying with them. Their mistake cost us a lot of extra time and even more expenses. They simply provide poor services and seem fine with that
RouteCharlotte to Dallas Ft Worth

"Poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Houston to Cleveland via Dallas. Flight was delayed, wait for technical 1 hour resolve a problem, then could not landed at first time. Just came one minute late at connection gate but was too late - how it possible the same company could not track if another AA flight coming little bit late, passengers losing time and money and have to wait 5 more hours for next flight. Poor customer service.
RouteHouston to Cleveland via Dallas
Date FlownDecember 2019

"disgusted with American Airlines"

Trip Verified | Kansas City to Ft Lauderdale via Dallas. I am so disgusted with American Airlines. We booked our tickets in September for a cruise in December. In November, they sent us a notice they changed the times and our 1.5-hour delay was now to be 45 minutes. Then on the way to the airport, they delayed it 40 more minutes making our connection impossible. We waited in line for a long time, because anyone with priority or 1st class gets a special line and goes immediately ahead of all regular passengers. The ticket agent insisted we take another flight leaving in 40 minutes - we barely made it to the gate. Then they announced that this flight was now delayed so we were going to once again miss our connection. They would not allow me to take my carry-on onto the plane - even though other bags were bigger because mine was an actual carry-on. Hint: shopping bags, duffle bags and backpacks all bugger were allowed. Knowing that I was going to be stuck in Dallas because there was no way to make connections. I needed my bags. They gave me a garbage bag for the items I needed which was all but a tiny bit. Bags are allowed. One the plane waiting it was in the mid to high 80's and we sat there for 20 minutes and counting as of right now.
RouteKansas City to Ft Lauderdale via Dallas

"poor customer service"

Not Verified | Me and my family book the flight from Boston to Montego Bay in Jamaica for a family vacation. We book through Apple vacations, booked our seats they were reserved so all our receipts were together after we received our confirmation we noticed that the flight to Montego Bay our seats were not together. We called Apple vacations and were informed that it was an error on American Airlines so I called and spoke to the representative at American Airlines and was told there was nothing I could do unless I paid an additional $200 Plus the cost of the seats which was approximately $37 a seat. I asked to speak to a manager who told me there was nothing he could do because we booked through a third-party and we would have to pay the fees associated with switching seats. When I try to explain the fact that I could not have a six-year-old and 11-year-old sitting by them self multiple rows apart it made no difference. He kept saying you need to pay the money so you can sit with your family even though there was multiple seats available there was nothing he could do. This is poor customer service. Who would put their kids with strangers, when you’re on a plane people want you to take care of your children especially a six-year-old.
RouteBoston to Montego Bay
Date FlownFebruary 2019

" worst airline I have flown"

Not Verified | Indianapolis to Syracuse. This is the worst airline I have ever flown . Completely unreliable and unorganized. I was suppose to arrive in Syracuse By 2 pm by a connecting flight in Washington DC. Then my flight out of Indianapolis was delayed an hour and then they finally told us a piece of the plane had to be replaced and we wouldn’t take off until 12:10. It took them an entire hour and half to tell us this information. Now I’m on 2 connecting flights to Philly, Boston, then finally Syracuse where I land at 8:30 pm. I have 2 three hour layovers at my connecting flights. It’s my birthday and I was suppose to return to campus today to hang out with my friends. Now my day is wasted and my birthday is ruined. If you ever have the option to pay more for another airline do it, American Airlines is not worth your time. Also the seats are the worst.
RouteIndianapolis to Syracuse
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"We re-booked with Southwest"

Not Verified | We cancelled a "non-refundable" ticket a month and a half before our scheduled departure. We booked and paid for our flights in October 2019; We were on a budget but still wanted to take a vacation out to see a good friend in California. I had been mulling over different flights and came across one with AA which fit within our budget. The flight out had a 10 hour layover in Phoenix, and an hour layover on the way home. This was fine with us since I have another good friend who lives in Phoenix, so staying with him for a few hours seemed logical for a cheap flight (our total all together with upgraded seats was about $780 for both tickets). A month went by and I get a simple email saying that there had been a change to our itinerary, but they didn't charge us any extra money. I go to look at our new flight schedules and AA had the nerve to double our layover time to 20 hours in Phoenix and add another layover on the way home in Charlotte, with 20 minutes between landing and takeoff to change planes in Charlotte. This makes two layovers now on the trip home. All the changes meant we were literally traveling for a total of 30 hours all together (for a flight that is barely 6 hours nonstop). We had previously booked and paid for lodging in Oakland for our flight in, and with the new itinerary change we would have been forced to cancel. I was finally fed up and called AA, who was very pleasant on the phone and they couldn't believe how drastically our schedule was changed and assured a full refund (which I have received). We re-booked with Southwest, nonstop both ways for less than $150 more. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.
RouteBaltimore to Oakland
Date FlownDecember 2019

" never fly American Airlines again"

Trip Verified | Houston to Dallas. Absolutely awful, most unorganized, rude and disrespectful flight I’ve ever been on. No urgency or customer service whatsoever. Will never fly American Airlines again.
RouteHouston to Dallas