American Airlines

"Very poor service"

Trip Verified | Flight 2616 from Oklahoma City to Dallas late on 5/17/19 - can't make connecting flight and no additional connectors available that day. Either rebook for next day or stay the night at DFW at our expense as per AA customer representative. So we rebook for same flight 5/18/19. Flight is subsequently cancelled the eve of flight. At this point I've given up on AA to get a plane in the air. Paid significant money to get a one way flight on Southwest Airlines and made it home only a day late. I would still be in OKC or DFW as of 5/20/19 if I stuck with AA as their 5/19/19 rebook was also too late to make connecting flight. Very poor service - at least between OKC & DFW. Can't recommend AA for getting to and from OKC.
RouteOklahoma City to Dallas
Date FlownMay 2019

"Customer service is the worst"

Trip Verified | Birmingham to Lubbock via Dallas. I had a flight at 5:40 AM, I was contacted the night before and told my flight had been cancelled. I did not receive a explanation as to why. Weather was beautiful all day! They rescheduled it for 5:40PM, the flight was then delayed because American airlines did not have enough ground men to bring the arriving plane in. The plane sat there well over 45 minutes until finally assisted. Not to mention those passengers had to sit on that plane with no AC. So when we get on the AC is still out so we have to bring a mechanic and it delays it by another 20-30 minutes. I miss my connecting flight and try standing in line to reschedule another flight, we stood there around 30 minutes before anyone ever assisted us. Finally someone assisted the lady in front of me, when it was my turn he walked away. I asked where he was going, which I had about 10 people behind me, and he said I gotta go! No explanation, so I waited about another 30 minutes before I was finally helped, and when I was helped they acted like I was the one causing the problems. It’s just all around an awful experience! Wouldn’t recommend it for anyone! Customer service is the worst of any airline i’ve ever been on!
RouteBirmingham to Lubbock via Dallas
Date FlownMay 2019

"avoid flying American Airlines"

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Washington via Miami. I will avoid flying American Airlines. May 19th, my wife and I arrived at the Miami from Barcelona, Spain in route to our final destination of Washington,DC. In Barcelona, we were asked to check our Carry On baggage due to the expectation that the overhead storage was already full. Upon arrival in Miami, our connecting flight to Washington was delayed from 3:53 pm to 5:20 due to issues with the two bathrooms on the plane. The pilot gave everyone the opportunity to step off the plane until the problem was resolved my maintenance. One of the AA gate attendance began arguing with customers for leaving the plane even though we explained to him that this was something approved by the captain. We arrived in Washington, DC to be told that our carry on bags did not arrive with our plane. Even after over an hour delay, the bags didn’t get placed on the plane. This is unacceptable. On May 20th we were contacted by American Airlines that so far they only have 1 of the missing bags in Washington, DC even though the bag tracker shows they both did in fact arrive in DC. We were also told that it would be as late as 4pm today (the next day) that we would receive the 1 bag. I am currently on hold right now with American Airlines after waiting over an hour to speak with a representative to find out the status of my 2nd bag. This is by far one of the worse flight experiences for my wife and I. I will add that much of this is also due to the overall poor customer service given throughout the entire Miami, FL airport. But, unfortunately American Airlines is a Primary flight provider there. I will go with other options going forward. This is a poorly run organization and it continued all the way to Washington, DC
RouteBarcelona to Washington via Miami
Date FlownMay 2019

"attendant was beyond rude"

Trip Verified | Nashville to Charlotte. Only fly American if you don’t mind not making it to your final destination on time. I had a flight out it STL that was cancelled, they couldn’t get me on another plan until a day later very late at night. I stood in line to talk with the attendants for over an hour only to be talked two for 2 minutes and basically forced out of line after being told “I was lucky I even got the (rebooked) flight I did get.” The attendant was beyond rude for someone who is just trying to reach their destination after their flight being cancelled due to an unknown delay.
RouteNashville to Charlotte
Date FlownMay 2019

"never fly American again"

Trip Verified | I purchased an upgraded, more expensive round trip ticket from American Airlines to Yuma, from Phoenix AZ. When I arrived at Phoenix/Mesa I was shocked to find myself at the wrong airport. My flight to Yuma would be leaving from Sky Harbor, 35 min away. Luckily, with the help of an amazing security guard at Mesa, who helped me find the app and get a Lyft ride, I made my connection. However, my return flight schedules would not allow for that 35 min ride between flights. So I went to the desk at Sky Harbor and asked for help. They told me, no problem, I should be able to fly standby on the 6:30 am flight in Yuma so I could make my connection. They said it would cost an extra $75. Not so bad. Three days later I arrived before the Yuma AA agent and asked to fly standby on the 6:30 am flight. The agent and supervisor said, "No" I did not purchase an upgraded ticket and "No", I could not fly standby, I would have to purchase another ticket for $230. They were flat out unconcerned, bordering on rude, and unwilling to find a solution for me. I was absolutely stuck and had to purchase the ticket. The worst part of this is that everyone I spoke to from the security guards to desk agents, said of the airport confusion, "This always happens," and from a relative of an American Airlines family member, "American Airlines is in trouble for the terrible customer service." It does seem that it's all about money. I will never fly American again, and it's unfortunate because they are the only airline in Yuma, I will never fly through Yuma airport either.
RoutePhoenix/Mesa to Yuma via Sky Harbor

"airline is so poor"

Not Verified | Toronto to Baton Rouge via Dallas. This airline is so poor. They have cancelled my flight at the last minute which has made me miss my meeting in Baton Rouge, and when I tried to call customer service, the wait was more than 3 hours. What kind of service is this? Definitely would not recommend this to anyone. Avoid this at all cost. Zero stars is all the deserve.
RouteToronto to Baton Rouge via Dallas
Date FlownMay 2019

"service reps don't care"

Trip Verified | Gulfport to Orlando via Charlotte. The worst experience with this company, I have flown many time with American as well as with Delta and United but I have had the worst experience with American. Customer service reps don't care, they don't sympathize and it seems like they don't want to help. I asked a desk lady why my flight was delayed 3 times and she said that she just got to the job and she didn't know. My best bet was to go to AA.COM and find out. I did so but there is no info about why my flight is delayed. The time was 10:30 pm changed to 11:00, 11:30, now is at 2:30am. No apologies for no info just a yes it's delayed. The flight from Gulfport to Charlotte had wifi but you couldn't even watch a movie because it's very slow. Never again.
RouteGulfport to Orlando via Charlotte

"the worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Santa Rosa. Last time I flew my plane was delayed until 2 in the morning. I didn’t have high hopes for this flight and it has now been delayed twice (2 hours each.) I wouldn’t be surprised if I wait until boarding time and they cancel the flight. This is the worst airline ever! Don’t count on being reassured that you will depart on time or at all with this airline.
AircraftUnknown
RoutePhoenix to Santa Rosa
Date FlownNovember 2018

"never taking AA ever again"

Trip Verified | Nashville to Chicago. No customer service at the airport. AA employees are always frustrated and have no intention to help you. They toss you around 3 or 4 different queues. Different ones of kiosk, baggage, service. You have to go to all those queues in mysterious sequence. Staff wont really help neither there are any signs. Missed or delayed flights every single time I boarded American. Best of luck. I am never taking AA ever again.
RouteNashville to Chicago
Date FlownMay 2019

"didn't even get to sit together"

Trip Verified | Montego Bay to Fort Wayne via Charlotte. I have flown with American airlines 4 times and this was the worst. Got notification that our flight from Jamaica to Charlotte was delayed by an hour. Once we got to the airport it was an hour and a half and we miss our connection in Charlotte by 5min. Couldn't just let me stay in Jamaica another day. Need to give more notice for this. I had to spend the night in Charlotte. Not happy at all. Couldn't hold that flight to Fort Wayne being it was their fault or book another one. I know they got enough planes. Had to wait until 1130 the next morning and of course it was over booked they said. But once on the plane there where open seats. I paid in advance for upgrade seating and of course with this flight my husband and i didn't even get to sit together. Don't think I will be flying with them any more.
RouteMontego Bay to Fort Wayne via Charlotte