American Airlines

"try to smile every now and again"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Los Angeles with American Airlines. The flight attendants on this flight are always the worst kind of people. It’s as if they absolutely hate their job and take out all their anger on the customers. Rather than being helpful, they are short and abrupt. Would not recommend this airline to absolutely anyone. Try Southwest or Delta and you’ll get much nicer service. Remember American Airlines, try to smile every now and again.
RouteSan Francisco to Los Angeles

"a terrible experience"

Not Verified | Worst service. Had one AA rep tell me he was to busy to speak with us. Delayed flights. Put on other flights that also were delayed so American Airlines wasted one day of our vacation. Then because we were group 9 to board they would not let us take our cary on. So now we have to go to baggage claim adding even more time to what has become a terrible experience. I will never fly American Airlines again.
RouteDallas to St. Louis
Date FlownAugust 2019

"truly was the traveling nightmare"

Not Verified | We had the displeasure of flying with AA July 20, 2019 and July 25, 2019. Where do I begin? First, upon checking one bag, we were told, due to our bag exceeding fifty pounds, the cost would be $100. Our credit card was charged $130! No gate number was provided to us! We had to wander aimlessly and ask an AA representative, who was rude! All representatives were rude! We were told we could not board the plane after first class was called. (We had a service dog and a stroller). We were VIP seating! We were unable to access the AA WIFI once aboard the plane. Being in VIP seating, we asked if there was a charge for alcoholic beverages. We were told, yes! (On our return flight from LAS to CLT, we asked the flight attendant if there was a charge for alcoholic beverages. She also said, yes! The passenger sitting next to us, in the aisle seat, told and showed us that alcoholic beverages are free!) We don’t appreciate being lied to! Once we arrived in CLT, we were told there was a 3 hour delay! We had pre-paid tickets for a show in Las Vegas at 9.00pm that cost us $204.88 and were non-refundable! We understand that weather conditions are not in anyone’s control, however, we were not offered any compensation for the money and our valuable waiting time that were out! We encountered the same no WIFI and no alcohol from CLT to LAS! What happened to the good ole days where there were screens to view movies (with provided ear/head-phones), actual meals and a variety of snacks (that were included, not a charge for) as well as friendly and calm flight attendants? We flew with this airline this past Easter and had a positive experience. That is why we chose to fly with AA again. Bad mistake! Wish we flew with Southwest! This truly was the traveling nightmare we had to endure!
RouteDaytona Beach to Charlotte via Las Vegas
Date FlownAugust 2019

"just cannot get anything right"

Trip Verified | Paris to Los Angeles via Dallas. They just cannot get anything right. Flew from Paris to-day but couldn't check-in and spent one hour over the telephone while they figured out how to reissue the ticket (schedule change). When I checked in again this problem and even though I am AA Platinum elite they charge me 50€ for my suitcase even though am supposed to get two complimentary (https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits). Because I couldn't check-in of course got the lousiest seats. Why because the computer told them to collect it and they cannot override the computer. It seems that the computer is not their tool, but they are the tool of the computer. Upstairs was treated abrasively by a 22-year old boy in the Admirals' Club - why does American continue to hire people who do not wish to serve the public? In my opinion AA is deceptive & dishonest and now they do not honour their pledges regarding elite benefits. I plan to sue them in Superior Court for the $55 just because someone has to send them a message that they cannot walk all over people. It is astonishing though how they cheat everyone even their best customers.
RouteParis to Los Angeles via Dallas
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Not recommended at any time"

Trip Verified | 6:40 New York JFK to Austin flight delayed 80 min. Since it was taken off after 8pm they did not serve dinner! Same thing on the way back to New York happened. 6:30 flight delayed 90 min and announced dinner will not be served but snack meal. Waste of time and waste of money. Last time flying with American Airlines. Not recommended at any time.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteNew York to Austin via Dallas

"Avoid this airline!"

(Cyprus)

Trip Verified | Ashville to Philadelphia. Worst airline ever. Our flight was randomly cancelled due to air traffic where other flights were flying as scheduled to Philly. No compensation for money lost on fuel and hotel bookings. Avoid this airline! They had it planned and let it happen at the last minute. They could find an alternative solution. Avoid!
RouteAshville to Philadelphia
Date FlownAugust 2019

"no flight home, no one to help"

Not Verified | On our way there, our boarding passes said to go to the kiosk for seat assignments. At the kiosk no one acknowledged us for 30 minutes as they were talking amongst themselves and finally when someone looked up they asked “are you looking for your seat assignments” we stated yes, and the reply we got was “well so is everybody else”. Absolutely terrible. Then on the way home, our flight got delayed. The delay would cause us to miss our connector flight so with everyone else we stood in line to talk to the employees at the kiosk. While in line, a member of American Airlines passed out a number to call. We called the number just to ask about flight changes and if we could get a refund how that would work. The women on the phone informed us that we would have to do that online which we said we would wait to talk to the employees first. After standing in line for 2 hours to talk to the person at the kiosk about our options, they told us we had cancelled our flight by talking to that women on the phone. The man at the kiosk told us “there’s nothing I can do” and “I wish you wouldn’t have called them”. So we walked away with no flight home, no one to help, and lord only knows if we will get our refund. This is so ridiculous. Awful airline and will never fly with American Airlines again.
RouteMyrtle Beach, SC to Boston, MA
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Never again American Airlines"

Trip Verified | Received morning email that everything was good to go. Went thru security at 7.30 for a 9.30 flight to Dallas FW. So the nightmare and incompetence begins. The flight was cancelled. Everything was rescheduled. I would now fly to LAX at 5.30 pm, an 8 hour delay - they gave us a $12 food voucher. I went to the American Airlines counter to tell them I would miss my flight in Manila and they just basically said it was my problem and I would have to call the airlines. My flight in Manila was scheduled for 7.5 hours after I was supposed to arrive on my American Airlines booked trip. Now in LA, I am put on Philippine Airlines, which runs about 30 minutes late after another 2.5 hour layover. So, now I am in Manila, at the wrong terminal, as I was supposed to be on an American Airlines flight that arrived at the correct terminal. Its not really a big deal as I don't have my luggage. 3-4 day delay and I have to go back to the airport to get it! Never again American Airlines. 33 hours and now I'm sitting in a bus terminal at the airport waiting to go to the correct terminal hoping Cebu Pacific takes pity on me and gets me to my destination cause American Airlines did absolutely nothing for not only me but their other customers on that flight. Pathetic.
RouteNashville to Manila
Date FlownAugust 2019

"surprisingly and completely unexpectedly quite good"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | The service on board was surprisingly and completely unexpectedly quite good. However, the managing of bags was terrible. I checked two bags in LA at the same time and when arriving in MEX only one was there. At first at the AA baggage loss counter, they seemed very sympathetic and gave the impression I might get it back in 24 hours as they say in most instances it is the case. But after calling each day with the same promise that the baggage was scanned and in LA, they promised it would arrive in MEX the next day to no avail. On the 15 August, I was told by one staff of the lost baggage phone line my luggage was already on the plane and would arrive at my doorstep by 8pm. At 9pm I call just to be informed that my bag was still in LA. That is not incompetence, that is plain lying. I have to wait until 18 August to receive it back and no compensation was granted. It goes without saying that this was the worst customer service I have ever experienced from any airline.
RouteLos Angeles to Mexico City

"absolutely unacceptable"

Not Verified | Denver to Philadelphia. Arrived at Denver Airport 1 1/2 hours prior to 5:24 am departure. Stood inline for nearly 55 minutes at self service checkin. AA counter was moving people from the back of the line to the front of the line in order to keep them from missing their 5:00 AM flight (this caused us to have to run to our gate missing any chance of getting food before boarding). We were sitting near the back of the plane, by the time the service cart got to us, they had one sandwich and two fruit trays left. My son and I originally wanted a sandwich each. He pulled out the sandwich and the fruit trays. I said I would take one of both. The flight attendant from the front of the plane came up and asked for the two fruit trays, my flight attendant literally gave her both. His explanation was the “front of the plane” has priority over the back of the plane. This is absolutely unacceptable. I sent a note to AA and have been ignored. Bottom Line, if AA think they are a doing a good job, they are not. I will continue to tell people my experience and steer them away from flying American Airlines!
RouteDenver to Philadelphia