Alitalia

"comfortable and relaxing trip"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Rome to Warsaw. Very comfortable and relaxing trip, I arrived in Warsaw a few minutes early. Clean plane, very nice on-board staff offered us snacks and drinks. I will travel again with Alitalia.
RouteRome to Warsaw
Date FlownDecember 2019

"seats were so uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Rome to JFK, New York on 1/3/20. We sat in Row 26. The seating configuration was 2-4-2. We had the four middle seats. Completely lacking on this flight was comfort, even a minimal amount was not to be found. The flight almost had to be turned around within 15 minutes of take-off due to a loud verbal altercation between a family siting in Row 26 behind us and the passengers seated behind them in Row 27 - all because of reclining seats and absolutely no room because of reclining seats. The aisles were also so narrow that it was virtually impossible for 2 people to pass each other in the aisle. The seats were so uncomfortable that not even the arm rests fully raised to the vertical position. I have never experienced seats before where the arms did not fully raise to a vertical position. The food was poor on this 8 hour flight. One meal was lasagne and the second meal or snack was some sort of pizza that was rolled like a burrito, I could not ea that. The crew was not exceptionally friendly. They were mostly missing during the flight when not serving the meals and were congregating at the back of the plane. Even though this was a daylight flight, we took off 2.35 pm Rome time, the lights in the cabin were turned off early in the flight. Te movie selection was minimal and not very good.
RouteRome to New York
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"The trip was a fail"

Trip Verified | Washington to Rome. The trip was a fail because my passport expires within the three months needed to enter Rome (mistake on me) but my issue is after you have processed my passport and then printed my boarding pass they still allowed me to pay for bags when it should have been flagged that I wouldn’t be able to fly. I’m at the gate and the attendant looks at my passport and says “you aren’t valid”. Ok so will my baggage fee be refunded, no. This is definitely unfair. Contacting the customer support team was a good lesson learned that all support staff are not created equally. These guys should have given my money back at the least but such is life. Hopefully they get better and it’s true you get what you pay for (sometimes).
RouteWashington to Rome

"the seats are narrow"

Not Verified | Rome to Los Angeles was the worst flight experience I’ve had. The first problems occurred when we tried to check in online, with Alitalia’s website it took over 3 hours just to check in and print boarding passes. I tried to to call Customer Service for help, to no avail. Onboard the seats are narrow, and there’s no leg room. The passenger in front of me kept trying to recline his seat, which almost placed his head in my lap and made it nearly impossible to watch a movie, which may or may not have been a good thing because their inflight entertainment leaves a lot to be desired. The movie screen is only about 4” X 6”, and my entertainment system continually crashed. We rarely saw flight attendants throughout the flight and even if you pressed the call button, no one came. The meals/snacks were less than mediocre. The one snack we received was a tuna salad sandwich. When I asked if they had any other sandwich choice, the flight attendant asked if I had requested a special meal due to food allergies. When I told her no, she went and got me 2 small packets of their crackers. Beverage service was lacking, twice I asked for a glass of water, I never received it. About 2 hours into the flight, I used the bathroom, only to find less than 1/4 roll of toilet paper sitting on the sink counter.
RouteRome to Los Angeles
Date FlownDecember 2019

"There is zero leg room"

Trip Verified | Never been to Italy before, first time to write a review before take off! It’s all about the leg room. I am already in a lot of discomfort and we haven’t even taken off. There is zero leg room. I am worried that if the passenger in front reclined by even an inch, I will suffer an untimely death. I really should have done my homework, but as this is the National carrier etc, I assumed it would be the best.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Rome
Date FlownNovember 2019

"overcharged us for the bags"

I bought an Alitalia ticket and I called and confirmed with Alitalia customer service that economy tickets included a checked bag. The customer service representative confirmed that I had a checked bag. When I arrived at the airport, they refused to check my bag unless I paid $60 each way. Obviously, it was too late at that point to pack a carry-on so I was forced to pay an extra $240 dollars ($120 round trip for myself and my boyfriend) for our bags. They told me I had a "light" ticket, but it didn't say that on my ticket. They said that economy tickets included a bag, but light tickets did not. Alitalia overcharged us for the bags. I contacted them after the incident on September 20, 2019, and the automated email noted that they would respond to us within 30 days. It's now 46 days later and I'm still waiting for a resolution.
RouteRome to Miami
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"super-narrow seats"

Trip Verified | Rome to New York. No legroom, super-narrow seats, truly awful food and indifferent flight attendants. Although, The contrast with our flight from JFK to PDX on Delta (also economy) was practically decadent in comparison.
RouteRome to New York
Date FlownOctober 2019

"no smile or interaction"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | I flew Alitalia return Rome to Delhi return in business class and the on-time performance was perfect. On the DEL-FCO flight we landed 15 minute ahead of schedule after leaving DEL airport on the exact scheduled time. When entering the aircraft the steward did not great us, did not smile, did not look at the boarding pass to show me my seat. Bins were occupied by blankets and needed to ask a stewardess to remove them, which she did with an accusing expression as if it was my fault that the blankets were there. The food was heralded as inspired by a famous restaurant, but in reality was not. When serving the meal, crew was polite, but no smile or interaction to me. During the night nobody came through the cabin to offer a glass of water or a snack. The galley had a bottle of water and Coca Cola, but no snacks. The water was served in a plastic beaker. Before landing, none of the crew asked if we had had a pleasant flight. When leaving the aircraft, no pleasantries, no smile to me.
RouteDelhi to Rome
Date FlownOctober 2019

"cabin crew was very nice"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | 2hr flight from Tel Aviv to Athens. Basic and not well maintain Airbus, seats are very tight I almost couldn't fit in ( im 1.87M). The cabin crew was very nice and suggested me to move into Exit without any payment. I didn't ask that- they offer this so well done.
RouteTel Aviv to Athens
Date FlownOctober 2019

"missed our connection to Boston"

Trip Verified | Catania to Boston via Rome. At Catania Airport when we were informed our flight was cancelled but not given a reason. One person at the service desk said it was the weather-other flights were leaving and arriving, others said it was a transport strike- We needed a written reason to fullfil the terms of our travel insurance. A service person said we could get the answer on line. He tried but could not produce a website with the answer. We were bused from Catania 1.5 hrs to Comiso Airport - we never received new tickets and were simply boarded on a flight to Rome. We missed our connection to Boston and were bused to a 3rd rate hotel in suburban Rome, offered a dinner of pasta and pork (which we don't eat) and told to be up at 6 am the next day for a flight leaving for Boston at 10:55 am. Breakfast was a bag with a bottle of water, dried cracker, stale croissant, and juice box. The flight to Boston was horrendous. The meal choicewas gone by the time the attendent came by - she offered me her meal which was very kind. The entertainment offerings were horrible and for me the system didn't work and wifi never worked. When I checked on several flight tracker sites AZ 1724 was listed as departing from Catania!
RouteCatania to Boston via Rome