Alitalia

"good experience with Alitalia"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | I flew with Alitalia from Milan Linate to New York via Rome Fiumicino; the experience was not bad. The flight from Linate to Rome was a normal national flight (nothing to say) and landed on time. The flight to NY was on time too, the crew was friendly, the food ok and the airbus clean. The flight back to Rome landed 1 hour early and, as usual, food, crew and aircraft ok! To cut a long story short, good experience with Alitalia.
AircraftA330 - 200
RouteMilano to New york via Rome
Date FlownNovember 2018

"a pretty miserable experience"

Not Verified | At Milan Linate they always put you on a bus to the aircraft which therefore defeats any priority boarding advantage since everybody is lumped together. Once the doors of the bus open it is survival of the fittest with a stampede of people to the stairs of the aircraft to see who can get on-board first. Once onboard, the stewardess insisted I put my carry-on on a different overhead locker since the one directly above my seat was partly in business class which was only had 2/3 of the seats occupied (middle seat deliberately not used) - never encountered such an issue before in 20 plus years of flying. Other people also having to deal with the "difficult" stewardess resulting in further delays to a flight that already had been delayed by 30 mins. This resulted in the captain actually coming out to speak to the Alitalia staff to tell them to hurry up with completing the boarding. Once seated, very little legroom. "Free" small selection of drinks and snacks - no opportunity to buy any food or drinks. Overall a pretty miserable experience.
RouteMilan to London Heathrow

"very unpleasant experience"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | São Paulo to Rome. Horrible experience regarding service. The airplane may not be new, but considering it's Economy Class, the seats are spacious if compared to newer airplanes. But what was really terrifying about this flight was the horrible, appalling service given by the flight attendants in the section of the airplane where I was seated (22L). Those staff simply hate their jobs and make it clear that they hate having to serve other people. Disgracefully, these 'other people' are the clients who paid for a seat on their airplanes, hoping to receive some decent service, which doesn't happen. These crew members are the most unkind, unattentive and rudest professionals of all crews in European airlines. Due to my job I have to fly Alitalia frequently and it's always a very unpleasant experience. If you can, avoid Alitalia whenever possible!
RouteSão Paulo to Rome

"Really disappointing"

Not Verified | New York to Rome. Really disappointing flying with Alitalia! I am Italian and even if I am leaving in Germany, together with my family we have decided to fly Alitalia to support our own airline. Wrong decision. The service was not good, for example the hostess came only once to offer some water (during dinner time) and nothing more afterwards. When you asked for something (e.g. additional drink), it was like asking for a huge favor, and I was in Premium Economy! The plane was not clean, I had a broken biscuit under my seat. The crew was not friendly, no smile, no “arrivederci” when we were leaving the plane. I am sure that my experience is not the exception as I was flying from Rome to Los Angeles and same things happened. Lowest service I have never had.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteNew York to Rome
Date FlownNovember 2018

"receipt is deliberately misleading"

Trip Verified | Rome to London. Paid for extra luggage on the way out. When we arrived at the airport to return we were told that we had only paid for luggage one way. The email receipt is very misleading suggesting we had paid for the extra space there and back. This stopped us from paying in advance and cost us an extra 20 Euros. I can’t help but feel the information on the receipt is deliberately misleading so people end up having to pay more at the airport than they otherwise would have needed to. Avoid.
RouteRome to London

"aircraft very clean"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Round trip Milano Linate - Bruxelles operated with Embraer 90 (small aircraft but very good legroom) and with Airbus 319 (comfortable with good legroom) bought for 110 Euro. Both flight were on time, the aircraft very clean and the crew friendly; a soft drink and snack has been offered. I especially enjoyed the peaceful during all flight. Nothing to compare with low cost company!
AircraftEmbraer 90 / A319
RouteMilano to Bruxelles
Date FlownOctober 2018

"have to check our carry-ons"

Trip Verified | Rome to Paris. While waiting at the gate, an employee of Alitalia placed a tag on my wife's carryon bag and said that we would have to check our carry-ons "because the flight was full." He did not question whether our carry-ons conform to size and weight regulations, which they did. My wife and I objected explaining that since we had to make a connecting flight, there would not be time to wait for our bags to be unloaded. The agent then was confrontational and stated "we have to check them in." He then made a misleading statements: "The baggage claim in Paris is very near the gate and you will not have to wait for your bags;" "Your connecting flight is just next door to Alitalia. You will have plenty of time." In fact our US flight was from Terminal 1 and we landed in Terminal 2, a good 15 minutes away. When on board we were immediately notified of a 50 minute delay of our departure. The result of this fiasco: Because we had to wait another 40 minutes to claim our luggage that the agent had checked against our stated wishes, we missed our flight.
RouteRome to Paris

"Ok, but not great"

Trip Verified | Flew Rome to Los Angeles. Ok, but not great. The quality of Alitalia is on par with that of United about 15 years ago. The seat cushions were coming apart, the in-flight entertainment was old and clunky (and in many cases just not accessible, as many titles gave me a "unavailable" response), they didn't have any cocktails on board, and there was no in-flight WiFi. Additionally, the headphones they gave us for in-flight entertainment didn't work, and the bathrooms on board were not very clean. The only real upside was the tiramisu they served as dessert.
RouteRome to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2018

"they only offered one meal"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Rome, which is not a short flight, it's almost an 8-hour flight, they only offered one meal that too only one hour or so before landing in Italy, which was not even warm and fresh. To top it, they never offered any earphones for the in-flight entertainment during the whole flight. In spite of calling them several times for water, no one from the staff cared to provide water to me.
RouteDelhi to Tunis via Rome
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Worst customer service"

Trip Verified | I flew into Rome from Croatia 45 minutes before my flight to Naples at 3 pm. Alitalia would not issue me a boarding pass saying I was too late to make the flight that was still boarding. They would allow me to take the next flight at 9:30 pm but I would have to purchase a new ticket. The new ticket cost was $100 higher than the cost of the initial ticket and $50 more than my sister's ticket who was at the next agent getting her ticket. I asked why my ticket cost was higher, I was told that it was because it was a different level but couldn't explain why. The reason they said was because it costs more! I was very annoyed and said I would never fly with them and the agent mocked me openly and blatantly. No one tried to help us even though denying us our 3 pm flight had a serious impact on our connections from there and inconvenienced many others. Worst customer service ever. It isn't surprising that they may be facing bankruptcy.
RouteRome to Naples