airBaltic

"Bad service of the staff"

(Latvia)

Trip Verified | Stuttgart to Riga. Bad service of the staff. I bought the tickets for my mother to visit me and due to her poor English language knowledge I reserved seat for extra cost so that I could print her tickets in advance. At Stuttgart airport flight 262 14:25 (terminal 3) my mothers tickets were initially not accepted and the entrance in the plane delayed. The staff did not support her on this until after all the other people had entered the plane. She was distressed and helpless. Eventually she was let on the flight and the seat I had booked was still for her available. I do not understand how this my so called priority booking for her turned out in such disaster of cancelled ticket that was not recognised by the crew.
RouteStuttgart to Riga
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Completely chaotic"

Trip Verified | Riga to Munich. Delayed by more than 30 min. Completely chaotic at the Riga airport at the gate. First, a gate change at boarding time was announced (as if the airline does not know before). Then before boarding started two very unpleasant air Baltic staff made people weight their carry on and make them pay in case carry on had overweight. But instead of putting it in the airplane belly, they let people bring their oversized and over weighted luggage into the completely full airplane. Obviously, there was again total chaos on the plane because of too little space. Although airplane seems to be ready, we did not board for mor than 30 min. I had the feeing they first want to check every carry on for oversize and weight. Staff on the plane was very unfriendly too. In total a very unpleasant flight. I cannot recommend!
RouteRiga to Munich
Date FlownNovember 2019

"was expecting better service"

Trip Verified | Paris to Riga. I was expecting better service from Airbaltic since I paid more for business class. It turns out the service is worse than budget airlines. Worst airline ever I have taken. I had to remove and put the luggage onto the belt a few time and the ground staff made no attempt to help me with my heavy luggage. He sat and watched and kept commanding me to put the luggage onto the belt even after I asked nicely “would you please help me with the luggage”. After he told me that his name is Keith when I asked him, he turned to talked to his colleagues in French and they all started laughing. I know he was talking about me asking his name because I heard Keith in the conversation, which made me suspect that Keith is not his real name. The English proficiency of ground staff is very low. They spoke in broken English and couldn’t explain to me clearing. The manager thought that my English is not good and explained to me the whole situation again in writing. For info, English is the first language in Singapore. The staff made only me measure my hand carry and claimed that it’s oversized. I saw some other passengers hand carry luggage were clearly oversized too but they are allowed. They initially told me that I have to pay 55EUR for the extra luggage and then changed this to 60EUR when another manager was present and insisted that he told me that it was 55EUR. The air stewardess skipped me when serving the welcome drink and the menu. When I asked for them, she then checked my seat number. How is it that you do not even know who are your business class customers? I did not pay extra for business class for the above poor services. It is very unprofessional to treat your business class passengers with such poor services because she is Asian.
RouteParis to Riga

"Why so cheap?"

(Estonia)

Not Verified | Tallinn to Milan. I was dreading flying with it. For a cause, I was forced to fly with it. Why so cheap? No normal beverages or food on the plane and then you have to pay 60 euros even if you've paid for your carry-on luggage? Why do you have to do it?
RouteTallinn to Milan

"been denied boarding"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Moscow to London via Riga. Worst airline in the world! I've been denied boarding to the connecting flight in Riga without an explanation. After spending 6 hours in the airport with my mother, we've been told that are fine to go, then they sent us back to Moscow instead of the onward journey. Avoid at all costs
RouteMoscow to London via Riga
Date FlownOctober 2019

"make money on extra weight luggage"

(Latvia)

Trip Verified | Riga to St Petersburgh. Airbaltic has no idea what good customer service mean. They have no exchange policy on ticket that cost more then 400$. They trying to make money just ripping off they clients and not providing excellent service. Terrible to make money on clients on extra hand weight luggage.
RouteRiga to St Petersburgh
Date FlownOctober 2019

"not a smile or goodbye from the flight attendants"

Not Verified | Berlin to Vilnius with airBaltic. Delayed by 45 minutes. Short flight. Seats were narrow and very little leg room. I noticed 4 flight attendants - 3 male and 1 female. 2 of the 3 male flight attendants attended the business class passengers, which there were none. They sat at the business class seats for the majority of the flight. The other male and 1 female flight attendants started selling drinks. When we deplaned, not a smile or goodbye from the flight attendants. It's ok. They probably didn't speak English.
RouteBerlin to Vilnius
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"won't recommend this company"

Trip Verified | Vilnius to Berlin. We really can't recommend AirBaltic to anyone. Short: They are cheating with their scales, showing two kg more than the actual weight of your baggage to threat you with paying 60€ extra. Both flights were delayed. The service on the plane is lacking everything. Detailed: We were two persons checking in one baggage. At the check-in shelter we got told to reorganize our belongings since the baggage was too heavy (allowed are 20 kg for the checked-in and 8 kg in total for the hand luggage). We stepped aside and used the scale next to the AirBaltic shelter to make sure our baggage would fit into the weight limit. After putting on another layer of clothes and reorganizing our belongings, we double-checked the kilograms with that scale. Back at the check-in shelter their scale suddenly showed 2 kg more again. Same with the hand luggage! Both had "overweight" even though we just checked it at the scale next to it! AirBaltic is cheating with their scales. I was too confused to say something, but the grumpy guy at the shelter was "nice" to only give a threatening warning for next time. After getting to the gate we put off the additional clothes that we put on to save weight in the luggage (We are thin people, don't blame us for that), but they checked the hand-luggage of each passenger again while boarding. Many people got charged for overweight luggage and had to pay 60€, if they wanted to get into the plane. That was stressing us out, we put back on all the clothes, only to put them off again after passing the check. Never had such a stressful boarding in my life! Flying back and forth with AirBaltic, both the connections were delayed (Maybe due to checking the passengers' luggage twice). While waiting for boarding, there was no person to answer questions and no excuse given for the irritating delay. While flying you don't get any free drinks, even for water they make you pay extra. The seats are too narrow and make you sit very stiff and compact to not disturb anyone else. For choosing a seat on your own, o wonder, they make you pay extra. The seats are listed in different price categories. It was the cheapest connection we found, but after this horrible experience we will never decide for AirBaltic again and won't recommend this company.
RouteVilnius to Berlin
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Friendly and efficient crew"

Trip Verified | An excellent flight from Riga to Copenhagen. Friendly and efficient crew, and great legroom. Flight was very punctual. My only criticism is that the 737 on this flight was 20 years old, so quite worn.
RouteRiga to Copenhagen
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"charges every singe extra gram"

Trip Verified | Riga to Geneva. Airline charges every singe extra gram, including any Tax Free shop acquisitions (60€/luggage). Staff attitude is very unpleasant. Unless required, won’t use this airline again.
RouteRiga to Geneva