AirAsia X

"Most uncomfortable flight"

Trip Verified | Beijing to Kuala Lumpur. Most uncomfortable flight I've been on. The cabin was freezing. As a low-cost airline, a blanket had to be paid for and water also cost extra. Meals were provided to those who reserved in advance or buy onboard. No in flight entertainment, no place to charge electronics. The seats were hard and ramrod straight. I will not ever be flying this airline again.
RouteBeijing to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJune 2019

"professional and pleasant"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Red eye flight from Kuala Lumpur to Perth on 17 April. The flight leaves at 0005 and arrives into Perth at 0530. Boarding was shambolic as there was one lady in charge up front and she spoke fast and her speech was so unclear that nobody understood her and everyone just got up and boarded anyway. It was storming before takeoff so we waited on the tarmac after boarding in the middle of a thunderstorm. The flat seat was comfortable and they provide a duvet and a large pillow for sleep. You are given a small complimentary bottle of water and a tablet with noise cancelling headphones. The tablet is loaded with a limited number of movies and TV shows and lasts about 4 hours. I don't understand why they serve you food at 0030 (I was not given a choice, just handed a tray of food) after takeoff instead of serving it before landing. The cabin crew were very professional and pleasant but boarding announcements were appalling as the purser was a Japanese man and although no fault of his, his accent could not be understood by virtually anyone on the aircraft. Quizzical looks all around! All in all, they were punctual, efficient and pleasant. One drawback. They turn on the lights about an hour before landing when we easily could have had an extra 30 minutes of sleep. Points to improve: your staff need elocution lessons on clear speech.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Perth
Date FlownApril 2019

"our luggage didn't arrive"

Trip Verified | Our return flight from Langkawi to Avalon through Kuala Lumpur started with a flight time change, originally departing at 6pm our plane was re-scheduled to 7:55pm. As we proceeded through the gate to the tarmac (Premium Flex) we were instructed to wait at the stairs as there were 2 elderly people in wheelchairs who needed to board via the lift system. After some time we were then told to board through the back of the plane. After approaching the rear stairs we were then waved back by the pilot to the front. We ended up being one of the last to board seated in 1B and 1C, boarding was totally disorganized. A further delay due to this meant we arrived even later to KL airport, however we proceeded through customs before anyone and made our way to our connecting flight. With 2 x Premium Hot Seats we were able to navigate our way onto the next flight with little issue. On arrival into Avalon we were once again through customs quite quickly as we were able to exit the plane first. However our luggage didn't arrive. How was it that no-one in KL was able to ascertain that our luggage didn't make the flight? They had 8 hours to call ahead, actually 9 hours seeing we waited over an hour for our luggage. What disappoints me is the treatment from the staff and total lack of communication from AirAsia. You cannot contact AirAsia in Australia, teir Sydney number goes back to KL. We never received a call, text or email from AirAsia X. We left all our details at the airport for them to contact them. But the saga continues. After multiple emails to KL I found out that our bags were placed on 2 different flights. One later in the day and the other one the next morning. The bags arrived on separate flights and were separates in the lost luggage area of Avalon Airport, one even included a large hand written note saying "Waiting for other bag arriving on D7 218". The bags continued to sit there separated for a further 24 hours, still no call, email or text. Ringing KL they said the bags were there but yet once again you can't call ANYONE in Australia. Instead they give you the number for AVALON, which welcomes you with "Welcome to Jetstar" and had no reference to AirAsia. It was only though the assistance of a lady at Avalon Administration who knew the Air Asia supervisor that a direct call was made. Finally my bags were reunited and given to a courier at 7:30pm 3 days after departure. I was told they would be with me by 8:30pm. At 9:30pm I received a call from the courier saying he won't be coming until tomorrow as he'd also had to go to Geelong. I stood my ground, told them they had destroyed my evening and had no choice but to bring me my bags. Finally I received them at 11:30pm that night. Close to a week has past and I still have not received a call, text, email or apology from Air Asia.
RouteLangkawi to Melbourne via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownApril 2019

"Why bother with self service"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Sydney. Why bother with self service to speed up the process to then have only 2 counters for document verification? The queue is long and slow. If you have done so much to speed things up why let this final process to taint the effectiveness and efficiency? I always fly AirAsia. It is economy airline and they have done well on a lot of fronts and to come this far itself is an amazing achievement. I am just very curious why this decision and this process?
RouteKuala Lumpur to Sydney
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Seats are okay"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Flying from Bangkok to Tokyo. Plane left as scheduled, arrived on time in tokyo Narita. Very friendly inflight staff, and good ground staff as well. Nothing particular on the flight itself, no free food, no inflight entertainment, it's a low cost airline. I felt cold in this flight and I suspect the airline to lower the temperature inside the plane to make you buy there cover, so just prepare a small jacket and that will be fine. Seats are okay, better than short flight budget airline.
RouteBangkok to Tokyo
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"inflight staff were really nice"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Flying from Seoul Incheon to Bangkok. Well, was not too bad at all. Plane was on time, arrived in Bangkok a little bit early, thanks to good wind I suppose, inflight staff member were really nice and smiling. On the other hand, there is the lack of inflight entertainment, but with some movies on my PC it was ok, and no free food. I bought some snacks before taking the plane and it was enough. But I suspect the airline to lower the temperature inside the plane so you will have buy them some cover. I felt really cold compared to many other airline I took...fortunately I had a jacket with me.
RouteSeoul to Bangkok
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Fantastic value for money"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Auckland via Kuala Lumpur. Fantastic value for money especially when one finds a promo or random very low fair. The food was good and very cheap too as well as the beer. Bought a warm meal for under €5 and beer was around €3. Will be flying this airline over the major carriers when possible, after all what do you miss out on, free food and drink and an entertainment screen? Seats are a little cramped but not enough to grumble about really. The layover in Gold Coast is an annoying factor in this leg though. Not once were my carry-on bags checked for weight so could have easily packed more in my luggage.
AircraftA320 / A330
RouteBangkok to Auckland via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"not comfortable to say the least"

Trip Verified | Tokyo Haneda to Kuala Lumpur with AirAsia X. Flight departed and landed on time. Did not pre-book a seat and was allocated a middle seat, which was not comfortable to say the least. Cabin crew were a little slow in starting meal service and hence I had to wait some time before I could purchase a drink. Was an overnight flight so largely napped for most of the time.
RouteTokyo Haneda to Kuala Lumpur

"a satisfactory flight"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Tokyo Haneda. Flight departed on time & arrived early, although was forced to wait on the tarmac as parking Bay was occupied by another aircraft. Was randomly allocated a seat in the Quiet Zone, a welcome stroke of luck. Pre-booked an onboard meal, chicken Teriyaki rice, which was pretty decent. Flight attendants were professional & polite, and the captain was clear & prompt in his announcements. Overall a satisfactory flight.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Tokyo Haneda
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"changed my seat after take-off"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Seoul Incheon to Kuala Lumpur. The check in counter only opened 2 hours before flight and the queue to check in was so long. There were no self check in kiosk. We were in the airport 5 hours before flight. We were in a rush to catch up the flight as we had to take train to the gate. After we boarded the aircraft and put our luggage in the compartment, the aircraft was out of power due to problems with Ground Power Unit(GPU). The pilot did an announcement regarding it but no estimation time given. Passengers were still boarding at this time with limited light and small aisle. It’s really not worth it to pay for hot seats and having to face awful stuff. But kudos to one of the cabin crew on the flight who saw me having difficulties dealing with crying babies and changed my seat after take-off.
RouteSeoul Incheon to Kuala Lumpur