Air Vanuatu

"cabin crew were cheerful"

Trip Verified | Air Vanuatu is a small airline which is essential for "Local" flights, meaning fairly long distances between scattered islands. As such they largely use ATR 72 aircraft and Twin Otters but they do have a very new B 737-800. I flew from Noumea, New Caledonia to Port Villa, Vanuatu and a few days later from Port Villa Vanuatu to Tanna, Vanuatu and back. There were no problems with schedules, checking-in and boarding. The cabin crew were cheerful and given the short duration of the flights there was not much on offer. On the whole a small but good airline. It is difficult to rate a small, short-haul airline with the big airlines but I will fly them again!
AircraftATR 72-600
RouteNoumea to Port Villa
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Staff generally very unhelpful"

Trip Verified | Nadi to Port Vila. Due to fly out on Saturday at 3.00pm. Was first to register at airport counter when it opened at 12.30. Went upstairs and sat in Nadi Lounge and as 3.00pm loomed noticed no counter staff evident. Asked about this and was told plane had left PV but had mechanical trouble and returned to PV. Were advised it was now due at 4.30, In short it did not arrive after a second apparent attempt to fly. We were told at around 6.15 the flight was cancelled and we would be advised shortly of when the next flight would be put on as indeed there was no scheduled alternative for two days. Our time in PV was two days. After receiving no notifications and spending 24 hours in the Nalagi Hotel courtesy of Air Vanuatu we had heard nothing and as it appeared no flights were forthcoming we had to make other arrangements to get home. No staff at the airport when we left at 6.30 huge disruption to the end of a short break and 36 hours sitting in a hotel room on the outskirts of Nadi was not what we had in mind. Was told mechanical problems then operational problems. Still dont know what the problem was and no reply to my request for a refund. Other issue was this was a Fiji Airways booked flight and when I rang them they said they could not help at all. Staff at Fiji Airport were generally very unhelpful with a few exceptions. I did not fly so cannot comment on the service in the air so ignore any comments about this.
RouteNadi to Port Vila
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Two very bad experiences"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Two very bad experiences with Air Vanuatu. At arrival in Port Vila the Air Vanuatu agent was forcing me to pay for a second return flight (as he could not find my reservation which I made through Fiji Airways). The member of staff was very unrespectful at many instances. I quote one of them "stop wasting my time I would like to go home now so buy this ticket". When finally I managed to find my ticket number and he finds my booking, he did not apologise for the 2h down the drain and the free humiliating time he has been giving me. Our flight from Norsup to Craig Cove planed at 11:40 (originally planned at a different time but we had received an email to notify us of the change) departed at 11:10 without us. Due to a mechanical problem our driver couldn't take us 2h before the flight to the airport. However despite having given them our local number, Air Vanuatu did not bother calling us as we were missing on the passenger list (in an 18 seater I must point out!). Waiting for the scheduled time and depart on time (not 30 minutes earlier than scheduled) is not for Air Vanuatu common practice of passengers are missing. You are just expected to pay them and have 0 service in return. I'm not usually complaining but here I think something needs to change. It's ok we were on holiday and we found a work around (Air Vanuatu didn't not apologise in any way shape or form, we were just told we were supposed to be at the airport 2h before) we had to find our own solution ourselves. I'm very sorry for people in Vanuatu who have to deal with this on a daily basis however. All we ask to an airline is to be courteous with its passengers and respect its schedule!
RouteNorsup to Craig Cove
Date FlownAugust 2018

"friendly service"

Flew from Sydney to Port Vila with Air Vanuatu. Friendly service, standard economy quality food as well as a very easy to use inflight entertainment system which has a very large variety or tv shows and movies. The new Boeing 737-800 recently new to the Air Vanuatu fleet was very clean, quiet and comfortable. Overall a very good experience.
RouteSYD to VLI
Date FlownApril 2016

"lack of friendliness"

Vanuatu is one of my favourite places and a big part of that is the friendly people. It's a pity that my critism of Air Vanuatu stems from the lack of friendliness of the staff. They weren't exactly rude, but they were just there. The food service was painful. Basically the hostees spent the entire filght mucking aroud with trolleys in the aisle. They were there so long people started getting up to go to the toilet and they had to keep shuffling trolleys up and down the aisle. They were simply unprofessional and unfriendly. I think the lack of competition on this route has made them a slack.
RouteSydney to Port Vila
Date FlownOctober 2015

"crew were seen occasionally"

We flew Air Vanuatu, November 2015. Check in staff were on the ball. On board a different matter. The much wanted breakfast was awful. Omelette was leathery and lukewarm with tea served in tiny cups. Crew were seen only occasionally and water was not offered to us during the flight. Captain was informative and the plane landed on time
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RoutePort Vila to Sydney
Date FlownNovember 2015

"not sure I could cope with the airline again"

(New Zealand)

We could not book ourselves through from Wellington to Santo while in Wellington, though we were able to book the luggage to Port Vila. We had to queue (50mins) for boarding passes to Port Vila in Auckland even though we did not have to book the luggage in. Booking in staff were slow and too few. Why could we not have been given boarding passes in Wellington for the next legs? On arrival at Port Vila we were told our flight to Santo was to fly the next day - we were not told in Auckland? It was cancelled because the engine had to be replaced. We were told we were to stay at Air Vanuatu's expense, in a hotel in Port Vila but to be at the airport for a 7.30am flight by 5.30am, for a domestic flight. The hotel was marginal with a night club active all night. We were contacted in our room after we went to bed to say we had overspent our dinner allowance of 2000 Vatu (about $NZ 28) each. We were to pay the difference or we could not fly the next day. After some discussion we did not pay and we did fly. We had not been told we had a dinner allowance. We had asked at the airport for meal vouchers but had been told this was not necessary. Return flight home by comparison felt like a dream even though it was just normal service. A completely different level of service. The anxiety that we might not return in time for necessary commitments the day after our scheduled return to Wellington, significantly affected our enjoyment of our holiday. I understand this unreliability is common. The impression we were left with from our dealings with staff concerning the delayed flight was that they were under orders to provide the minimum they could get away with. Don't expect to arrive the day you have booked for. Leave an extra day. You could of course be lucky. Rated 3/10 because the plane left as scheduled from Santo. Otherwise 1/10. I trust that this feedback will help Air Vanuatu learn that the travelling public expect they will be looked after by making travel easy for the traveller (not the airline), and by keeping to their schedules. I would love to visit Vanuatu and Santo again but I am not sure I could cope with the airline again.
RouteWellington to Santo via AKL / Port Vila
Date FlownSeptember 2015

5 months and they haven't processed my refund

Due to the cyclone in March, I had to cancel my flight with Air Vanutau and asked for refund. The customer service processed my cancellation and confirmed a full refund will be arranged on 25th March. Today is 13th August, after 24 emails chasing them the refund, I still haven't received it. I understand it is unfortunate that so many people cant fly all of sudden. But I have given 5 months patience, they still havent processed my refund! It's unbelievable!
RouteBrisbane to Port Villa
Date FlownFebruary 2015

Air Vanuatu customer review

Melbourne-Sydney-Port Vila-Melbourne. Flew Qantas to connect with flight to Port Vila. Old style seats in Business with not much recline but not a real problem for a 3hr flight. Service was excellent with a choice of 2 main courses for lunch and drinks were promptly offered. Cabin crew were typically Vanuatuan - smiling and courteous and they really seemed to enjoy their job. Inflight entertainment was interesting the first time around but then repeated well into the flight! Perhaps they could upgrade this aspect. A word of warning when checking in at Port Vila for a flight out. Checked in 2 hours prior to flight for Melbourne but then kept waiting for security and immigration to open the door for nearly 45 mins in a very warm (non-airconditioned) airport. Lounge at Port Vila mall but at least air conditioned but only packets of chips to eat. Overall it was a most pleasant flight with a great crew on all legs.

Air Vanuatu customer review

(Vanuatu)

AKL-VLI in economy. Check in at AKL was handled by Air NZ staff who were friendly and accommodating. Flight was quite empty so despite having an economy ticket I was treated to a whole row to myself. The 737 in use on this route is clearly well used but in good order and clean. The cabin crew are warm friendly and helpful. The meal service was quite efficient and consisted of a beef stew with mash and boiled carrots. Simple hot and tasty though I imagine not to everyone's liking the other option available was fish. Sides included a salad bread roll and cheesecake for dessert. A good selection of complimentary beverages is offered throughout the flight. The real winner was a complimentary glass of champagne: this was neither solicited nor is it normal practice for the economy class passengers but for whatever reason the crew decided to treat me on this particular flight. Inflight entertainment is drop down screens with a video of some sort but I find it difficult to see the screens so I didn't even bother and read a book instead. Upon arrival in VLI disembarking was via airstairs to the tarmac. The terminal facilities are simple but functional. Luggage was quite slow this time.