Air Transat

"I have to pay for the bag"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Toronto. This is the last time I will fly Air Transat. I was told while checking in I have to pay for the bag I was checking in. It was 60£. Upon arriving at the airport I had to weigh my carry on and purse at the same time. You can only have 10kg in all hand luggage so I had to also check the carry on and pay an extra 65£.
RouteGatwick to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2019

"flight was delayed for 8 hours"

Not Verified | I just flew from Toronto to Santa Clara (Cuba) and i had the worst experience ever. Flying from Toronto, flight was delayed for 8 hours and was never posted online until we checked-in in the airport and had to stay in the airport for 6 hours. They gave us $20 voucher for breakfast and $100 off next flight which i will never use because I’m not planning to travel with Air Transat again. After 6 hours delay, we finally got in the airplane and had to wait another 2 hours in the plain cause they had technical issues. In total flight had 8 hours delay and with all this time waiting, they didn’t even offer a free snack in the airplane. Returning back from Santa Clara, flight had 1 hour 20 min delay again due to technical issues and this time they didn’t even bother apologizing for once.
RouteToronto to Santa clara
Date FlownMay 2019

"denied my cat onto the plane"

Trip Verified | I was planned to travel with an animal, a 3 month old rescue kitten I had acquired on my trip there. i researched everything we needed to have and paid the $50 add on fee for animals in cabin, we had all the requirements. My cat's documents put her birthday on the lower end of her possible age in order to help up cross the border of Canada. We put her birthday as 2 months when she really was a 3 month cat, Obviously this caused complications at the check in counter since air transat requires animals to be 12 weeks in age, I tried to reason with the clerk to say that the age was an estimation and that indeed she was within the age to fly, Yet she was denied. Realizing that the airline needed documents confirming her 12 week age, my husband and I ran as fast as we could to another veterinarian clinic and got brand new health certificates, the vet inspected her and and verified her 3 month age, we got a rabies vaccine and returned as fast as we could to the airport. This is where I absolutely can not believe was happened next. The manager for the Puerta Vallarta representative team of Air Transat denied my cat onto the plane again with no reason. She had all documentation that was necessary for the politics of the airline and for us. All bases were covered, we presented all necessary documents and there was absolutely no reason for her to be denied to travel. I am absolutely sickened at the lack of respect Air transat has for their flyers. My cat is now in the hands of someone I was lucky enough to run into who can care for the cat temporarily until I figure out how to get her back into Canada, It has costed us stress and money that we were not prepared to spend.
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Edmonton
Date FlownMay 2019

"filed a complaint about delay"

Trip Verified | Arriving at the Fort Lauderdale airport at 9am for a 12:20pm departure to Toronto, I noted that the departure time had been changed to 12:30pm. An hour later it was changed to 9pm and we were told that when the crew arrived at Fort Lauderdale they would need an 8 hr rest period and for us not to leave the area. We did not board the plane until after 10pm and were told by the pilot that a specialist mechanic was needed to fix a part in Montreal but when the flight arrived at Fort Lauderdale they needed their rest period. When we finally boarded were told that there would be no food, just water and other beverages could be purchased. During the wait we were given lunch and dinner vouchers but a number of places would not accept them. The lineups for the two restaurants in the departure section were extremely long and elderly passengers such as myself were not physically able to stand that long. We therefore had access only to the sandwich kiosks and the wraps that were sold. The staff at the departure gate did nothing and it was up to travelers to continually line up to get vouchers or information as the staff talked about their manicures and plans for the evening etc. This delay was due to a lack of any organization to scheduling. It was known well in advance that the delay in Montreal would result in a requirement for a new crew, or the need for the assigned crew to have a rest stop. I filed a complaint about the delay however while there is a timeframe of at least a month to answer, there is no maximum time period noted within which this needs to be resolved. I accept that this is a budget airline with whom I have flown many times and will probably continue to do so, however, this lack of any acknowledgement as to the obvious rhetoric in their passenger service manifest and the lack of motivation to ensure a positive resolution for both myself and their airline is the reason for this review which is based solely on this trip and the management of the situation.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Toronto
Date FlownApril 2019

"I was refused to check in"

Trip Verified | Today, while trying to check in my bags I was refused to check in as the service person said there was a damage on my passport, the ink was peeling and it's like an accident, it can happen, if you spill water or something, you cannot get a passport replaced in 30 min! I had other documents with me to prove I am who I am. Air Transat didn't let me get on board and would not allow me to get to Mexico for the holiday. I bought through Expedia a package and the tickets for my husband and I were over $1600. We could not get into the airplane and now I tried to contact you over the phone and you don't want to refund me or give me a credit for a flight you did not allow me to get in. And I am not even adding that I paid extra for seats and check 1 bag. I don't have extra $ to just throw away and you are keeping my money for a service you didn't allow me to use for no fair reason. Air Transat is not immigration and should not refuse me to get on board for such reason.
RouteCalgary to Cancun
Date FlownApril 2019

"told my bag was too big"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Toronto. I flew to fort Lauderdale on April 12th with no issues or problems but when I was leaving on April 16th 2019 it was horrible. I traveled with one carry on bag and and they said the flight was full and asked if anyone wanted to check their carry on bag for free they can. I volunteered but when I got to the gate counter I was told my bag was too big and that they will have to speak to the supervisor about it. When she arrived (myriam), the supervisor said I had to pay. I must say this experience was a eye opener and I wont fly with them again
AircraftTS133
RouteFort Lauderdale to Toronto
Date FlownApril 2019

"can’t sit where I wanted"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Toronto. I paid for seat selection for aisle 15 a and b. One day before the flight they sent me a email stating they moved me to 28. When I called the said that someone was in my window seat on 15 so I decided to stay with 28. As I boarded they said I had no choice but had to move as I had a cane. My mobility was not that compromised so I was offended and said I paid for more leg room. I had no choice and got moved to a terrible seat. With a possible option of a refund. I got that seat for a reason now I can’t sit where I wanted. Terrible company
RouteEdmonton to Toronto

Air Transat customer review

Trip Verified | Calgary to Toronto. Had read a lot of reviews on Air Transat at couple of different places and had kind of high hopes from the airline. Was sadly surprised to note the poor state of the aircraft and ground staff members. The staff took forever to begin their check-in counters, to begin the bad experiences that followed. And very cramped seats to make all hopes disappear. Cheap for a reason. Hope not to fly the airline again.
RouteCalgary to Toronto

"courteous and friendly"

Not Verified | Great service. Staff were beyond polite, courteous and friendly. Only airline on time from Cayo Coco to Ottawa. The Captains of the plane were very good and kept us up to date about both flights.
RouteOttawa to Cayo Coco
Date FlownMarch 2019

"no outlet to plug my phone into"

Not Verified | Toronto to London Gatwick. I’m usually pretty prepared for flights, I board and see that there’s no tv which is no biggie because being prepared as I usually am I had downloaded lots of games, movies, and music to my phone. So you can imagine my horror after realizing that not only was there not a tv but no outlet to plug my phone into, meaning I wouldn’t be able to use my phone the entire flight to save the battery for when I arrived in London because I would need google maps to get to my new apartment. I politely asked one of the flight attendants if there was anywhere I could plug my phone in and he was very rude. I fly very frequently at least once a month and I will never fly with this Air Transat again.
RouteToronto to London Gatwick