Air Transat

"food from Toronto was terrible"

Trip Verified | Porto to Toronto. An airline that simply does not care. First and last time using this airline. Flights were delayed without any update, vacation time is spent sitting at the airport. I realize they are inexpensive Airline, but there are lot of expenses besides airline tickets, like hotels, excursion. Inflight food from Toronto was terrible.
RoutePorto to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"best flight of my life"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Toronto. This was the best flight of my life. The staff were phenomenal and the pilot kept the passenger informed about the delay (there was a two hour delay but the flight quality made up for it). The flight attendants were so kind and helpful. There was also complementary drinks and a meal and snacks. All of which were delicious. The staff also helped passengers move to seat where they might be more comfortable after departure. Because if this, I was able to spend the flight in an aisle seat where there wasn’t someone next to me, rather then in a middle seat squished between two strangers.
RouteGatwick to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"never fly Air Transat again"

Trip Verified | This is the worst airline I have ever flown with. The trip from Vancouver to Toronto was abysmal. There was no complimentary food, not even a snack of any kind. No headphones either. Free juice was offered over 2 hours into the flight, one more pass for water over an hour after that. The seats were incredibly uncomfortable and there was almost no legroom. The flight home from Toronto to Vancouver was ten times worse. We were delayed over two hours at the terminal because it was "too cold". It was -15 degrees Celsius. This is the same temperature or warmer than it had been every day this week. Problem after problem made our delay longer and longer. From baggage handlers that felt it was too chilly to load our luggage for an hour, then everything kept freezing. The doors, landing gear, other panels. The hours ticked by. All they did was sort of apologise after every second or third incident. If they had any concern for their customers or invested money into standard de-icing spray, none of this would have happened. This is absolutely unacceptable. I will never fly Air Transat again.
AircraftA321-200
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"impressed with this airline"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Puerto Plata. I’m so impressed with this airline. We booked a vacation package and everything from boarding to flying to airport transfer to hotel choice was a five star experience. We experienced expected delays but even arrived within a half hour of expected landing times despite a horrific snow storm in Toronto. Every other airline cancelled or had six hour plus delays. Our flight attendant were very friendly, efficient and helpful both during departure and arrival flights from Canada. Also pleased with the leg room on the flight. Would definitely recommend air transat packages. Keep up the exceptional service!
RouteToronto to Puerto Plata

"I got back nothing"

Not Verified | Toronto to Manchester. I added insurance when I booked my flight, a simple checked box. Of course they don’t tell you the amount you are insured for. No that it mattered as I got back nothing. The telephone number to make a claim which is on both Air Transat and Allianz websites are incorrect. I kept getting though to a ‘emergency international medical hotline’ After a few attempts over a number of days I finally had a representative transfer my call. Even the new number given to me from that call got though to the same number. Every question or email l sent they took the full allotted 3 weeks which is the maximum time allowed for them to respond. When I sent off my forms and receipts they said they hadn’t received. After 4 months of trying I just quit trying. I had also sent 3 or 4 emails directly to Air Transat and received not one single reply. The seats are cramped, the staff are ill mannered and poorly trained. I once had a seat next to a window in which the frame of the window protruded into my space so much that I was unable to sit back in my seat. My request for a change in seat got no response and I was told that if I called in to book they would of told me that. However l booked online. Thankfully after an hour a lady sitting close to me asked to swap. I would pay £200 extra per trip to not ever use this airline again.
RouteToronto to Manchester
Date FlownMarch 2018

"wheels don't fit in the measurement"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Toronto. Do not travel with them. Worst customer service. Will make some pay for baggage and others not. On our return flight was told I had to pay for my carry on. I said I didn't have to pay a few days ago when I flew in. she said because the wheels don't fit in the measurement I have to pay $35. She then said if I don't pay she will be at the gate and will make me pay there. We proceeded to pay. I was clearly upset. This woman then proceeded to talk about us to the other employees. We proceeded to the gate. When we got their she announced that if anyone would like to check in their bag even if its too big can do so free of charge. I approached her and said how is that right? Her response was things are different at the gate. It was a horrible and very upsetting experience.
RouteMontreal to Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2018

"my case was not there"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Toronto. I was on my way to a to my niece’s wedding for the weekend with 1 suitcase. The individual checking in my suitcase, was rude and disrespectful when I had asked why I was being charged $35.00. I paid my 35$ and headed to security. Where she chased after me, forgetting to give me the tag for my suitcase. The flight went well, however when we arrived at the airport, we waited about 35-36 minutes for my suitcase to appear at baggage claim, and my case was not there. We spoke to an attendant, who had no idea where the bag was, and I was told my suitcase never made in on the plane! She then gave us a number to call the next day to track it down, and still nothing. The customer service line has been no help whatsoever. That’s if anyone even answers the phone. I’m currently heading back to Montreal now, exhausted, angry and confused as to how 1 suitcase can be lost in an hour long flight, and no one is able to help me or at the very least give me a $35 refund. This has been a horrible experience.
RouteMontreal to Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"price for one bag is $35"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Vancouver. So this was my very first time flying with Air Transat, I usually only fly with Air Canada or Westjet. I had one luggage to check in and I went to the airport baggage counter where the employee proceeds to tell me the price for one bag is $35. I had asked why it wasn't $25 like the other airlines and he told me that to get the cheaper price I had to prepay online. I specifically asked to clarify if that meant prepaying when checking in online. He told me yes. On my roundtrip flight back, I went online 24 hours beforehand to check-in and prepay my bag and found that THERE WAS NO OPTION TO EVEN ADD A BAG. I called up Air Transat and had to wait 5 HOURS before talking to anybody. They then told me I couldn't get a cheaper price if it was within 24 hours of my flight. This is absolutely ridiculous since all other airlines allow you to purchase your baggages online when you check-in and don't have price variations like Air Transat does. It was extremely inconvenient for me to have to go to the airport counter again in person to pay for my bag when I could have just breezed through the airport. I had called up customer service to see if they could help resolve my issue but they were unwilling to help in any way. It baffles me because the whole luggage process is actually really deceiving. They know that most people will only prepay bags when they check-in so they have this 24 hour rule and don't even have an option for selecting bags online to essentially force people to have to go to the airport counter and pay the overpriced bag amount. Overall, I had such a horrible experience with Air Transat and would never fly with them again due to this inconvenience of their luggage process and their unsatisfying service.
RouteMontreal to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"wouldn't fly Air Transat again"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Santa Clara. I paid $200 ($25/person/per flight) for my family of four so that we could sit together on our recent family vacation to Cuba (December 28, 2018-January 4, 2019). Why does a group have to pay for tickets and then pay additional to make sure they are not scattered around the plane? I still didn't get to sit with my family and am now fighting Air Transat to get my $200 back. My travel agent booked seats 8A/8B/8C and I was booked at seat 8H (across the aisle). When I check-in online before the flight I was assigned a seat further away so I manually chose 7A which was showing as available. When I got to the gate at the time of flight my seat had been changed to 10H. Wondered why I bothered to pay this surcharge and it bugged me the whole vacation. The attendant at the gate gave me the phone number for Customer Relations and told me to contact them when I returned home. There was nothing that she could do and it wasn't them (gate attendants) who assign the seats. What makes things even more frustrating is that when we got on the plane there were only two people sitting in 7A/7B/7C so there is absolutely no reason why I could not have sat there. Just asking to be refunded for the service that I paid for but was not provided. So frustrated that I am getting the run around instead of them just returning the money for a service that I didn't get. I have sent them the Boarding Passes for 7A and 10H as proof so should be a quick refund. Why doesn't Air Transat provide good customer service so that they would get good reviews instead of bad? Obviously they just don't care. I wouldn't fly with Air Transat again if I can help it and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
RouteToronto to Santa Clara
Date FlownDecember 2018

"such poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Puerto Plata to Toronto. It's very difficult to express my disappoint with Air Transat. I attempted to contact the airline on the phone and waited nearly an hour and was told that I needed to be transfered to another dept. I waited another hour. When I spoke to a rep, I was then told that my inquiry for a veterans discount could only be done via an online form. I completed the form 3 times to be told that I did not meet the min timelines. I went ahead and paid for the Option Plus and when I boarded the aircraft I had to prove that I purchased it. They were unaware. To summarize, I have never experienced such poor customer service. I am currently on my second hour on hold while on vacation to confirm my seat.
RoutePuerto Plata to Toronto