Air Transat

"bad experience"

Not Verified | I booked a flight for myself and my husband from Toronto to Barcelona from 8/2/19 to 8/11/19, due to medical emergency my husband was not allowed to travel. I submitted all medical documents to cancel my flights and get my refund about 2-3 weeks prior to our travel. Air Transat customer service was terrible, just robotic answers. They were not understanding my emergency situation and instead of helping me, they were very rude. Finally, after 12 weeks of waiting time, their answer was no. Even though I requested about a voucher, partial refund. I guess most of the airlines have some margin in a real case of emergency but the bottom line is I will never ever travel on Air Transat and will tell my whole circle and fiends about my bad experience.
RouteToronto to Barcelona
Date FlownAugust 2019

"consider the flights to be acceptable"

Trip Verified | In Summer 2019 I flew a return flight with Air Transat from Gatwick to Montréal. The outbound flight was late by 1:30 due to the inbound aircraft being late, not much they could do. However when we entered the plane it was like entering an oven as there was no air conditioning. Subsequently we were left to melt for about 40 minutes before push back and take-off. The aircraft was very old. There was no in-seat entertainment, that was all by overhead screens which you had to purchase a set of earphones onboard for. I heard they they plan on retiring their A310-300's at the start of 2020. The seats were a little dirty and well used, although legroom and seat width were perfectly acceptable for me (I am 6'1"). The meal service for lunch was good, I chose the pasta option and was pleased with my choice. The cabin crew were very attentive throughout the flight and made conversation about where we were staying and what we were doing in Canada. Overall the outbound leg was average. On the return flight from Montréal to Gatwick, we left on time. The aircraft was even older and did not even have a personal air conditioning vent. As it was the same type of aircraft, the layout was the same as was the inflight entertainment. The flight was not full, so myself and the other person in my row had a seat between us, which allowed for a little bit more legroom and we could raise the armrests to sleep better. The meal option was somewhat lacking for a dinner, and so was breakfast which consisted of a slice of vanilla cake. The cabin crew on this return flight did not seem as interested as the outbound leg, which is a shame. Overall, I would consider the flights to be acceptable due to Air Transat being a budget airline. Once the older aircraft (the A310's are nearly 30 years old!) are replaced by newer ones the flights will definitely be better.
RouteMontréal to Gatwick
Date FlownAugust 2019

"plane was delayed by 1 day"

Trip Verified | Our plane was delayed by 1 day. I had to miss a day of work. Other people at the airport booked flights with WestJet and Flair because they were taking off. Our flight had mechanical issues. We were given a $20 food voucher, but that was after 3 hours of waiting at the airport. Then after 5 hours of waiting we learn that the flight is cancelled. We were given hotel rooms and a $15 food voucher for the hotel (not enough really). The next morning the flight was to leave at 12 noon, but it is delayed again to 2pm. We finally get a new plane. The air crew was so nice and helpful. At the end of this, Air Transat did give us a credit for a future flight. Better than Flair Airlines.
RouteVancouver to Calgary
Date FlownJuly 2019

"little effort to resolve the issue"

Not Verified | I had a lost piece of luggage, Air Transat were not very sympathetic at the airport, and were difficult to get any kind of assurance from. They seem to pass the buck. They give no guidance on replacement cover or update on luggage location and the Web tracking service is not great as they do not provide a tracking number that fits their Web requirement. Why can you not use the luggage number applied at the airport? Live Chat functionality on their website seems like a sales line, and not a lot of assistance. If they can't answer your questions it appears you get cut off. Very little effort to resolve the issue.
RouteManchester to Vancouver
Date FlownAugust 2019

"no provision for emergencies"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Toronto. I told the team I had a medical emergency and needed to get home. The supervisor said that she can't be do anything and she could not help me get to my mother in hospital. There is no provision for emergencies. You're on your own. I am disgusted with the lack of customer service.
RouteAmsterdam to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2019

"a very positive experience"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Montreal. There are many reviews on this site which are very negative about Air Transat. My Director travelled on Air Transat and had a very positive experience. He is a frequent Business traveller and advised that Air Transat's Club cabin was probably superior to Premium Economy on BA or anyone elseat half the cost!
RouteGatwick to Montreal
Date FlownJuly 2019

"we could not sit together"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Puerto Plata. My boyfriend and I took a vacation to Puerta Plata recently, we decided to fly Air Transat and sadly things went wrong. On our return home, we asked if we could sit beside each other but were told that we could not sit together by two different personnel because there were no seats side by side. After the plane was loaded and everyone was seated, I used the restroom and it came to my attention that there were two seats side by side. Not only were we told we couldn't sit together they lied. Once in my seat (20A) I noticed that my seat was broken and would not sit up straight causing me to have a uncomfortable ride home. The stewardess kept reminding me to bring my seat back up to the up right position which was not possible. She was informed by myself personally and wouldn't let me sit in another seat available. After sitting in a broken seat for a few hours the stewardess were offering compliment beverages but because we had some turbulence they told our section that they would return when it was safe. After about three hours into the flight, the stewardess never returned with beverages so we had to ask for them.
RouteToronto to Puerto Plata

"a sensational flight"

Not Verified | A310-300 from Toronto to Montreal. A one way ticket from Toronto to Montreal can go for as low as $76 CAD! The flight time was around 51 minutes and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I am a trip reporter and I have waited months to fly on an A310, so it was an exciting moment for myself. At the Toronto Terminal 3, check in was smooth as I was travelling without checked luggage and was checked in online. After using the kiosk to print tickets, we were headed off to and through security is 7 minutes. Boarding began around 1 hour prior to departure, my seat was 27K. It had enormous legroom for an economy class seat, and I was able to stretch out. The A310 might look cramped, but it was good enough for me! The mood lighting in the cabin was an extra treat. Although there was no WIFI or IFE Screens, it was not an issue as the flight was only a short domestic hop. We took off 10 minutes behind schedule, but we made up for the time in the air. The cabin crew were delightful and served us drinks. We arrived 20 minutes ahead of schedule but had to wait another 30 minutes for a gate, thus rendering us behind schedule when exiting the aircraft. I even got to visit the cockpit and the cabin and cockpit crew were more than nice! All in all, it was a sensational flight and I loved the A310 and the airline.
RouteToronto to Montreal
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Excellent flights on Air Transat"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Dublin. Excellent flights on Air Transat. Flight left on time in both directions. When you choose option plus, you get a complimentary beverage and snack with your fare. I choose to sit forward of the wing, as it is less bumpy during turbulence. Seat is comfortable but snug, leg room needs improvement. Flight Attendants were awesome, friendly and professional and safety was enforced through out the flight. Food was delicious with hot entrees actually hot and tasty. Choose to add the Air Transat app on line before you fly, you need to remember your aircraft type when you download the app. The aircraft type is on the booking page. Connect free of charge to Air Transat wifi on your cell phone or tablet, there are also screen in the cabin to watch the movies, but you need compatible ear phones to listen. Air Transat needs to increase their Club Class seating, it’s worth the extra cash to fly in a bigger seat in a two by two configuration. I enjoyed my time on board and will fly Air Transat, Trans- Atlantic flights again, but in Club Class - any flight over 4 hrs needs to be in Club Class. On the down side, they need to get rid of the A310-300. It’s very old and super crowded. Air Transat is worth looking onto. Take your time when you book, choose your flight times accordingly and your seat selection. It’s worth the extra money to guarantee your individual seats.
RouteToronto to Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2019

"stay away from Air Transat"

Not Verified | Toronto to Venice via Montreal. Flight from Montreal to Venice was delayed for 3 hours, we were left on the tarmac with no air con, no food but access to the toilets. Cabin crew disappeared and were nowhere to be found, I had to look for cups and water, which I poured for myself and several other passengers - felt like I was working harder than the cabin crew! Cannot fault Air Transat for the delay due to weather, but can fault them for not a least trying to make the delay a bit comfortable by keeping the aircon on and offering refreshments. Flight from Venice to Toronto was the worst I have ever experienced. The plane was dirty and in general, poor shape. Booked and paid extra for better seats which we did not get. The cabin crew was unhelpful and actually made the situation worse by their total lack of concern. I later found them sitting in the back braiding each other's hair and giggling like schoolgirls, they were also using some type of acetone nail polish remover on each other, which made things more unpleasant as the stink of it in an enclosed area of the plane was bad. The flight director was rude and offered no assistance to our seat issue. She actually inflamed the situation by her general rude demeanour and lack of concern - there was no customer service to speak of for her nor the crew. Follow up later with Air Transat took three phone calls, two emails and a webchat in order to receive a refund (not posted to our visa yet, so we will remain hopeful that it will actually be processed). I would seriously warn anyone with any medical issues and/or small children to stay away from Air Transat. The lower price may be appealing, however, you will pay in other ways. You may no receive your upgraded seats, and there really is no one to help you, either on the ground and via the customer relations line, if you need assistance.
RouteToronto to Venice via Montreal