Air Transat

"wheels don't fit in the measurement"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Toronto. Do not travel with them. Worst customer service. Will make some pay for baggage and others not. On our return flight was told I had to pay for my carry on. I said I didn't have to pay a few days ago when I flew in. she said because the wheels don't fit in the measurement I have to pay $35. She then said if I don't pay she will be at the gate and will make me pay there. We proceeded to pay. I was clearly upset. This woman then proceeded to talk about us to the other employees. We proceeded to the gate. When we got their she announced that if anyone would like to check in their bag even if its too big can do so free of charge. I approached her and said how is that right? Her response was things are different at the gate. It was a horrible and very upsetting experience.
Date FlownOctober 2018

"my case was not there"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Toronto. I was on my way to a to my niece’s wedding for the weekend with 1 suitcase. The individual checking in my suitcase, was rude and disrespectful when I had asked why I was being charged $35.00. I paid my 35$ and headed to security. Where she chased after me, forgetting to give me the tag for my suitcase. The flight went well, however when we arrived at the airport, we waited about 35-36 minutes for my suitcase to appear at baggage claim, and my case was not there. We spoke to an attendant, who had no idea where the bag was, and I was told my suitcase never made in on the plane! She then gave us a number to call the next day to track it down, and still nothing. The customer service line has been no help whatsoever. That’s if anyone even answers the phone. I’m currently heading back to Montreal now, exhausted, angry and confused as to how 1 suitcase can be lost in an hour long flight, and no one is able to help me or at the very least give me a $35 refund. This has been a horrible experience.
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"price for one bag is $35"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Vancouver. So this was my very first time flying with Air Transat, I usually only fly with Air Canada or Westjet. I had one luggage to check in and I went to the airport baggage counter where the employee proceeds to tell me the price for one bag is $35. I had asked why it wasn't $25 like the other airlines and he told me that to get the cheaper price I had to prepay online. I specifically asked to clarify if that meant prepaying when checking in online. He told me yes. On my roundtrip flight back, I went online 24 hours beforehand to check-in and prepay my bag and found that THERE WAS NO OPTION TO EVEN ADD A BAG. I called up Air Transat and had to wait 5 HOURS before talking to anybody. They then told me I couldn't get a cheaper price if it was within 24 hours of my flight. This is absolutely ridiculous since all other airlines allow you to purchase your baggages online when you check-in and don't have price variations like Air Transat does. It was extremely inconvenient for me to have to go to the airport counter again in person to pay for my bag when I could have just breezed through the airport. I had called up customer service to see if they could help resolve my issue but they were unwilling to help in any way. It baffles me because the whole luggage process is actually really deceiving. They know that most people will only prepay bags when they check-in so they have this 24 hour rule and don't even have an option for selecting bags online to essentially force people to have to go to the airport counter and pay the overpriced bag amount. Overall, I had such a horrible experience with Air Transat and would never fly with them again due to this inconvenience of their luggage process and their unsatisfying service.
RouteMontreal to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"wouldn't fly Air Transat again"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Santa Clara. I paid $200 ($25/person/per flight) for my family of four so that we could sit together on our recent family vacation to Cuba (December 28, 2018-January 4, 2019). Why does a group have to pay for tickets and then pay additional to make sure they are not scattered around the plane? I still didn't get to sit with my family and am now fighting Air Transat to get my $200 back. My travel agent booked seats 8A/8B/8C and I was booked at seat 8H (across the aisle). When I check-in online before the flight I was assigned a seat further away so I manually chose 7A which was showing as available. When I got to the gate at the time of flight my seat had been changed to 10H. Wondered why I bothered to pay this surcharge and it bugged me the whole vacation. The attendant at the gate gave me the phone number for Customer Relations and told me to contact them when I returned home. There was nothing that she could do and it wasn't them (gate attendants) who assign the seats. What makes things even more frustrating is that when we got on the plane there were only two people sitting in 7A/7B/7C so there is absolutely no reason why I could not have sat there. Just asking to be refunded for the service that I paid for but was not provided. So frustrated that I am getting the run around instead of them just returning the money for a service that I didn't get. I have sent them the Boarding Passes for 7A and 10H as proof so should be a quick refund. Why doesn't Air Transat provide good customer service so that they would get good reviews instead of bad? Obviously they just don't care. I wouldn't fly with Air Transat again if I can help it and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
RouteToronto to Santa Clara
Date FlownDecember 2018

"such poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Puerto Plata to Toronto. It's very difficult to express my disappoint with Air Transat. I attempted to contact the airline on the phone and waited nearly an hour and was told that I needed to be transfered to another dept. I waited another hour. When I spoke to a rep, I was then told that my inquiry for a veterans discount could only be done via an online form. I completed the form 3 times to be told that I did not meet the min timelines. I went ahead and paid for the Option Plus and when I boarded the aircraft I had to prove that I purchased it. They were unaware. To summarize, I have never experienced such poor customer service. I am currently on my second hour on hold while on vacation to confirm my seat.
RoutePuerto Plata to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2018

"never Air Transat again"

Not Verified | Montreal to Toronto. I’m on the plane right now, waiting for departure. It has been 2 hours past scheduled departure time. First, they claimed a couple of passengers missing, and then it was minor technical problems need to fix after the aircraft was about to take off. And now it’s the third time we came back to the gate to try to fix the technical issue that keeps reoccurring. WTF, is that supposed to be checked and done way before the boarding? Since when passengers onboard is required for their inspection job? We are still waiting, I really don’t know how much longer we will actually take off, never Air Transat again for sure!
Date FlownDecember 2018

"service is just incomprehensible"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Puerto Vallarta. I was unable to take the trip last minute due to unforeseen circumstances, so my wife and I decided not to waste it and her and our 7 month old would go. We pre selected and paid for seats, checked in as though I was going and notified the lady at the check in that I would not be attending but paid for the extra seating regardless so they would have room and be comfortable. I received a call from my wife upset that the day at the gate was rude and ignorant and told her in no less words "tough luck" as she was assigning the seat to someone else that I paid for not once but twice with seat selection. I phone in to ensure this wouldn't be a problem on her return flight and was met with the same rudeness and hostility that she was clearly met with at the gate. It's our first trip with them and will be our last. The level of service is just incomprehensible.
RouteVancouver to Puerto Vallarta

"I do not recommend"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Edmonton. I arrived airport 1:15 minutes prior to departure time, no where to be found were Air Transat counter was, people in the airport were not able to help her. By the time she found the Air Transat counter, it was 50 minutes to departure normal, normally it's not a big issue with most airlines, but there was nobody at the counter. I tried calling Air Transat to find out what options are there, waited almost an hour to get through, when I finally got a hold of someone on Nov 26 11:10 PM, the agent was so rude, not friendly, told me I have to pay full price for next flight, which is fine, but she is just the wrong person in customer service. She said Air Transat recommends passenger arrive airport 3 hours prior to departure, but the itinerary says hour and half prior to departure time, who with the right mind would arrive 3 hours prior to departure on domestic flight. I do not recommend anyone flight with Air Transat, bad customer service, no counter service, no signs, and zero email communication.
RouteToronto to Edmonton
Date FlownNovember 2018

"crew rude and abrupt"

Trip Verified | Athens to Montreal. Disappointed in the unfriendly demeanor of all but one of the airline attendants, the quality of the meals served, and the uncomfortable tight seating on this flight. Air Transat is a discount airline and everything is "extra" even the pillows and blankets for a 10-hour flight. The main meal was okay, but on both arrival and returns flights, the breakfast was a tasteless and unpleasant offering. On numerous occasions I noted cabin crew showed rude and abrupt behavior in response to passengers questions or requests; I have never seen such an unhappy bunch of people working in the service industry. I liked that this was a direct flight at a good price, but would probably pay more and go with a standard airline for a 10-hour flight in future. Movie and TV selection was pretty good.
RouteAthens to Montreal
Date FlownOctober 2018

"very poor service"

Trip Verified | We booked Option plus for our return flight, when we booked in at the airport there was no info on file that we had booked this, our pre booked seats in row 5 had been given to someone else and we were given seats in row 40. The staff contacted Montreal office who stated our agent in the UK had cancelled our seats, we had no agent as we booked our flights a year ago ourselves on the internet. We had had a problem going out from Manchester also with our Option plus segment there was no record of us booking this facility we had to prove to everyone we had paid for this service. My husband contacted Air Transat via e-mail when we got to our daughters in Toronto, the reply stated that he would be contacted in 28 days we are still waiting and that was July 28th, the same thing happened on return to the UK we are still waiting to hear from them, my husband has tried ringing them with no success. We are very unhappy with Air Transat, very poor service.
RouteToronto to Manchester