Air Transat

"stay away from Air Transat"

Not Verified | Toronto to Venice via Montreal. Flight from Montreal to Venice was delayed for 3 hours, we were left on the tarmac with no air con, no food but access to the toilets. Cabin crew disappeared and were nowhere to be found, I had to look for cups and water, which I poured for myself and several other passengers - felt like I was working harder than the cabin crew! Cannot fault Air Transat for the delay due to weather, but can fault them for not a least trying to make the delay a bit comfortable by keeping the aircon on and offering refreshments. Flight from Venice to Toronto was the worst I have ever experienced. The plane was dirty and in general, poor shape. Booked and paid extra for better seats which we did not get. The cabin crew was unhelpful and actually made the situation worse by their total lack of concern. I later found them sitting in the back braiding each other's hair and giggling like schoolgirls, they were also using some type of acetone nail polish remover on each other, which made things more unpleasant as the stink of it in an enclosed area of the plane was bad. The flight director was rude and offered no assistance to our seat issue. She actually inflamed the situation by her general rude demeanour and lack of concern - there was no customer service to speak of for her nor the crew. Follow up later with Air Transat took three phone calls, two emails and a webchat in order to receive a refund (not posted to our visa yet, so we will remain hopeful that it will actually be processed). I would seriously warn anyone with any medical issues and/or small children to stay away from Air Transat. The lower price may be appealing, however, you will pay in other ways. You may no receive your upgraded seats, and there really is no one to help you, either on the ground and via the customer relations line, if you need assistance.
RouteToronto to Venice via Montreal

"Chef meal was awful"

Not Verified | Toronto to Rome. The Vezina Chef meal was awful. Presented still wrapped in its tinfoil which left me to deal with unwrapping it and the resulting condensation. Unappealing appearance and substandard quality given the hype and the 25.00 price tag. Served with warm white wine and delivered 20 minutes ahead of that of my travelling companion who had no meal "option" within his Option Plus purchased extra. Most passengers received their beverages well after their meal was consumed. The Chef meal did not contain the items advertised then and still shown today. Stale marble cake delivered as breakfast again without hot or cold beverage until well after. Air Transat is sorry that I didn't enjoy my meal. Still shaking my head over that one.
RouteToronto to Rome
Date FlownJune 2019

"imbalance of vegetarian and chicken meals"

Trip Verified | I flew the A330-300 between Toronto and Manchester for a holiday. The seats were comfortable with my expectations being met regarding the lack of legroom for a budget level airline. The online check in service was quick and easy with free seat alterations. Air Transat sent a reminder through for the eTa service, needed for foreign nationals to enter Canada which was a nice touch. Due to all of this the interactions with ground staff was limited on both the outward and return legs but what interaction I did have was positive. On the flight the screen was clear but the selection of TV shows and films was limited but that didn't really bother me. The meal service was a tad slow to come out and work itself down the plane which did affect the amount of sleep time on the overnight return flight. The main gripe with the meal was that I requested a Lactose Free Meal but this wasn't adhered to. This lead to mild discomfort on a 7 hour flight. The other glaring error that was the imbalance of vegetarian and chicken meals leading to those at the back of the plane not having a full choice. The cabin crew were appologetic about this and were more attentive after it. Overall, the flight was good but better organisation behind the scenes could have prevented my major gripe.
AircraftA330-300
RouteCalgary to Manchester via Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2019

"never flying air Transat again"

Trip Verified | Montréal to Toronto. Horrible experience. Wasn’t able to check into my flight due to their website not working, and then tried to change it as I had a personal emergency (that came up a few hours before flight). I was transferred from department to department for over an hour, and ended up going to airport to check as they weren’t giving me an answer. At the airport the kiosk didn’t work, and I had to join the massive line to check in. By the time I got there it was 55 minutes until flight and check in was closed. The only reason I was late was because their check in service didn’t work, and they kept me on the phone for over an hour knowing when my flight was. After trying to explain my circumstance, they finally hung up on me. Horrible customer service I can’t believe they would hang up on a customer trying to find a solution to the problem they caused in the first place. Will never be flying air Transat again.
RouteMontréal to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2019

"chartered out to Canadian North"

Trip Verified | Booked a package thru Air Transat for June 2019 travel. To/From Vancouver and Puerto Vallarta June 15-23. Air Transat chartered out the flight to Canadian North. They did the same with my flight June 2018. Don’t be worried if this happens to your fight! Canadian North are the nicest ever flight crew and all my experiences with them have been positive. Yes it’s an older plane, but wasn’t that loud and kept clean. Food on board is the same as Air Transat’s bistro menu. However, be informed they limit quantities on what they offer. I’m not talking about 50 of an item for an entire plane. I selected the chicken and orzo dish and then the person next me asked to order it too, and the flight attendants said they are only given one (1) of that item for each flight. One for the flight to Puerto Vallarta. One for the flight back to YVR. Stunned. it was the best ever charter airline meal I ever ate! Air Transat should seriously consider increasing the quantity. I purchased the Options Plus package. First time doing that. Enjoyed having the rolled blanket in the drawstring nylon bag, and it was a great back arch support for my flights. Never took it out of the bag but inside apparently is also the inflatable neck pillow and eye mask. Options Plus is supposed to include priority baggage, but at check in at YVR the agent did not place any tag of such on my suitcase. My suitcase was one of the last to come out on the baggage carousel at Puerto Vallarta. On the way home, the agent at Puerto Vallarta airport did put the priority tag on my suitcase, but didn’t seem to help much as about 40 bags came out at YVR (some with Priority tags and most without) before my priority tagged bag came out on the carousel. In-flight entertainment limited, they had drop down TVs every 5 or 6 rows, and you could load the app on your cell, but never am impressed with options. Would rather read a book or listen to my own music on their flights. Once again, their flight crews on Canadian North are amazing. For my return flight, I had pre-ordered and paid for a gourmet meal. (Wasn’t a fan of the bistro options that would come with the Options Plus) Its advertised “main dish served with cheese, dessert and wine”. My meal of “Pork filet mignon with Quebec blueberries” was tasty, and came with dessert and wine, but no cheese. Instead of the cheese, they included seasonless plain Tabouleh in a small dish with 1 olive. Not only do I dislike Tabouleh but completely plain tabbouleh. There was no notation I found on their website they may swap their advertised items with something else. It only says “presentations may vary” and doesn’t stay a completely different item will be used. Overall I was pleased with the tastes and quality of the Pork served. I suggest to Air Transat they enforce passengers’ carry on luggage. Numerous passengers carried on suitcases that clearly were over the measurements allowed, some having to be put sideways in the overhead bins and take up most of the space. Not fair to other passengers. This is not a one-time thing, but happens on many of my Transat flights, however, this flight was extreme in the amount allowed on, even with the cardboard box example at the gate. If your suitcase does not fit to easily roll down the aisle then clearly it is oversized and should be checked. Gate agents were even making announcements on both flights down and back that the flight is full and limited space, and were encouraging people to check their carry on bags,
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Vancouver
Date FlownJune 2019

"check in our carryon luggage"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Vancouver. They forced us to check in our carryon luggage, which was fine for other airlines in my trips. And we can not take it back at the door, it goes to the baggage belt. Also, the staff was rudely saying it is not allowed, though during the broadcast she says volunteered to check in.
RouteMontreal to Vancouver
Date FlownJune 2019

"flight staff are always congenial"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Rome. I will always choose Air Transat for flights overseas. Their prices are lower than the competition and their flight staff are always congenial. The food served is edible and the entertainment selection is fine (although it could be changed more frequently).
RouteMontreal to Rome
Date FlownJune 2019

"crews are friendly and humorous"

Trip Verified | My experience flying with Air Transat on an 8 hour flight from Gatwick to Toronto was okay. Ground service at Gatwick Airport was quick. They seem to be a little stringent on both personal item and carry-on weight. Departing gate is not posted on your ticket. You must wait and attach your head on the Airport’s Departure Screen to find out the exact location of your gate. Cabin crews are friendly and humorous. Snacks and liquor must be purchased individually. Complementary meal was good and well done. In-flight entertainment was a bit of a let down due to commercials and limited library content. However, the screen looks crisp and responsive! In addition, theres no wifi available in the plane. In terms of ticket price, it was affordable vs other airlines with the same route. I will fly again.
AircraftA330-300
RouteGatwick to Toronto
Date FlownJune 2019

"Very impressed with this airline"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Varadero. Very impressed with this airline. The only critique was the lack of personal interaction during check in at Montreal. Plenty of staff just standing there watching us struggle. I fly quite often and there is always someone standing by to help attach those impossible labels on the bags. Actual drop off was also automated and we had no means to label our bags priority as we had paid for Option Plus. The system should at least provide a means for priority pax to get a priority sticker for their bags. That is where negative criticism ends. From then on the flights were flawless. We had exit row seats which were provided both ways, and automatically changed when aircraft configuration did. Service was exemplary both ways. My traveling companion first language is French and mine is English and we were cheerfully and flawlessly served in both languages. We paid extra for proper meals as we knew our arrival times precluded getting a decent meal upon arrival. These meals were surprisingly good and of a high quality and served with proper metal cutlery. One flight attendant named Sharon needs to be singled out for her friendly, professional and knowledgeable service. She made our flight. Aircraft were clean and well kept. We would have liked more in the way of info from the flight deck as there was no IFE system to provide this. That is forthcoming on these recently acquired aircraft which Air Transat plans to retrofit. I love Air Transat and look forward to flying them again.
AircraftA321-200
RouteMontreal to Varadero
Date FlownMay 2019

"not recommend this airline"

Not Verified | I booked Club Class tickets from Calgary to London in July 2018 for departure May 3, 2019 – 10 months in advance. One month prior to our departure I received an email advising a change of flight schedule now departing May 3 Calgary to Vancouver then to London. I called to confirm Club Class seat selections and was on the phone for 1 hour 40 minutes. I received an email at 7:19 a.m. confirming Club Class seats for the Vancouver to London Flight. Six hours later I received another email advising the Club Class seat reservation from Vancouver to London would not be honoured. We have flown Air Transat numerous times to Mexico and Europe without incident. Air Transat has always been our first airline choice because of the Club Class seats. I cannot express my disappointment and shock when I received the email advising Air Transat would not honour our Club Class seats. I had no choice but to cancel our booking and attempt to book tickets on another airline in Premium Economy. Because we were less than 1 month from our departure date airline fares were much higher than when I originally booked 10 months prior with Air Transat. I emailed Air Transat’s Customer Service Department 7 weeks ago and have never received a reply. I will not recommend this airline.
RouteCalgary to London via Vancouver