Air Transat

"crew rude and abrupt"

Trip Verified | Athens to Montreal. Disappointed in the unfriendly demeanor of all but one of the airline attendants, the quality of the meals served, and the uncomfortable tight seating on this flight. Air Transat is a discount airline and everything is "extra" even the pillows and blankets for a 10-hour flight. The main meal was okay, but on both arrival and returns flights, the breakfast was a tasteless and unpleasant offering. On numerous occasions I noted cabin crew showed rude and abrupt behavior in response to passengers questions or requests; I have never seen such an unhappy bunch of people working in the service industry. I liked that this was a direct flight at a good price, but would probably pay more and go with a standard airline for a 10-hour flight in future. Movie and TV selection was pretty good.
RouteAthens to Montreal
Date FlownOctober 2018

"very poor service"

Trip Verified | We booked Option plus for our return flight, when we booked in at the airport there was no info on file that we had booked this, our pre booked seats in row 5 had been given to someone else and we were given seats in row 40. The staff contacted Montreal office who stated our agent in the UK had cancelled our seats, we had no agent as we booked our flights a year ago ourselves on the internet. We had had a problem going out from Manchester also with our Option plus segment there was no record of us booking this facility we had to prove to everyone we had paid for this service. My husband contacted Air Transat via e-mail when we got to our daughters in Toronto, the reply stated that he would be contacted in 28 days we are still waiting and that was July 28th, the same thing happened on return to the UK we are still waiting to hear from them, my husband has tried ringing them with no success. We are very unhappy with Air Transat, very poor service.
RouteToronto to Manchester
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"never again fly Air Transat"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Rome. I weigh 130 lbs, and I felt crammed in my seat, they are so narrow, I didn’t even have room to put my Ipad between my hip and the seat, my arms were crossed against my chest almost the whole trip, my husband was even worse off than me as he weighs close to 200 lbs, we had absolutely no room to put our arms at our sides. Best leisure airline for 2018 - maybe for a one hour flight, but when you are taking a flight as long as 9.5 hrs to Italy, not the best plane. The food was horrendous, I couldn’t even take a second bite. My husband and I were lucky enough to buy seats in the emergency aisle, which cost a lot more money, but we at least had leg room. They ask that you remain seated with seatbelts fastened, sure easy enough for a short flight but not a long one, you need to get up so that you don’t lose circulation. I will never again fly with Air Transat, I will pay the extra money to go on another airline in order to be more comfortable and not feel like a sardine in a can. What a terrible experience.
AircraftA330-300
RouteToronto to Rome
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Lead Agent aggressive and rude"

Not Verified | Vancouver to Rome via Montreal. My Air Transat Nightmare! Arrive airport 8:15 am for an 11:15am Air Transat departure to Montreal and then to Rome. Departed but returned as plane was mechanical. Landing gear stuck Agent told passengers to go eat for an hour but those boarding Rome cruise to wait as may fly us to Paris. Then we were expected to make our own way to Rome. Later told Montreal flight will wait to ensure we get to Rome in time for cruise departure. I discussed several times with the agent the idea of booking another flight with another airline as we had to be onboard the cruise in Rome by 5pm the following day, was guaranteed they would hold the flight in Montreal for the 18 passengers transferring to Rome 6 of which were to board the cruise. Departed at approx 1:15. Arrived Montreal 9:45; 5 minutes late. By the time we were off the plane and heading to the connecting flight we were 20 minutes late. Flight to Rome departed 25 minutes prior to us getting off plane. Told to wait for representative. A Lead Agent arrived. She was very aggressive and rude and explained that they can get us on the flight to Rome the next evening at 9:30pm. This was not going to help the 6 of us who had a ship departing the next afternoon in Rome. They refused to fly us to another city where we could board the cruise late or fly us home. This Lead Agent refused to provide her name or another contact of someone who could assist and make decisions as she clearly could not, simply told us to call the Call Centre who again would be unable to help and was closed. People were very upset and 2 elderly ladies were in tears. This woman was rude, aggressive and very unprofessional. As people were persistent she called in a gentleman to assist, we eventually realized he was not an Air Transat employee but was there to get us moving out of the airport. No one wanted to assist or try to problem solve this issue. Had travel agent on phone listening. The “Lead Agent with No Name” is yelling for me to hang up. Refused to speak with Travel Agent and yelled at other staff to “say nothing and don’t answer questions!” Told Air Transat is only responsible to get us to Rome and would fly us out the next day. However all documentation sent regarding the flight was entitled Air Transat - Greek Cruise? Clearly there is a partnership in this booking and they should have taken some responsibility. Given a $400 travel voucher for our troubles, then given a document in French and asked to sign upon receipt of the voucher. The “Lead Agent with No Name” had been told by all that no one spoke French. Luckily my limited understanding of the language allowed me to understand that this was a waiver stating we would not pursue any other action following receipt of this voucher. I recommended to all not to sign and tossed my voucher in the trash. Given a hamburger voucher and sent to ant infested hotel. Yes, the hotel had no working phone, coffee maker but did have ants crawling up the walls and on the floor. This arrival to this hotel was followed being taken and dropped of in a parking lot of the wrong hotel. By now it was 2am and we were all exhausted and in shock at the appalling treatment. The following day we returned to the airport at noon as directed the previous evening. I anticipated they may have a flight available allowing us to catch up with the cruise. Nope, they wanted us out of the hotel as did not want to pay for a late check out. No employees were available.
RouteVancouver to Rome via Montreal
Date FlownJune 2018

"unacceptable customer service"

Trip Verified | In July 2018 I flew from Gatwick to Vancouver with my bike. Upon arrival, my bike wasn't there. After completing all paperwork required, I was told I'd receive a phone call that day with an update. I never received a phone call and spent my next 5 days contacting Air Transat only to be told to call a different number or email a different email and no-one seemed to be able to give me an update on my bike. After 3.5 days, someone finally responded saying they found my bike. As I was leaving 2 days later and my bike was apparently still in London, I requested to leave it in London as I'd have to pay the additional fee to take it back with me without being able to use it. As you guessed it, no response. I spent a lot of time trying to get updates after that, only to be told it's now on a flight to Vancouver (facepalm). I continued to request updates knowing that I was flying back the next day, but no response at all. I repeat, nothing. The morning I checked out my hotel notified me that my bike was delivered to my hotel a couple of hours earlier, no communication from Air Transat at all. When checking in for my flight they still made me pay the additional luggage fee, even after explaining everything that happened. They gave me a business card and told me to email them and said I'd be able to claim the money back. It's now 2 months later and I still haven't received anything, I'm still chasing them for my refund. Absolutely unacceptable customer service. It was an extremely stressful week for me and I lost a whole week of training, which is really frustrating in the middle of my race season. I just don't understand why these people work for the same company but don't communicate with each other. Instead, they make their customer work extremely hard to get any information and sometimes don't even tell you that you supposedly contacted the wrong department. They'll tell you when you've waited forever and reach out again as you still haven't had an update.
RouteGatwick to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2018

"No Air Transat again"

Trip Verified | Lack of efficiency and helpfulness of Air Transat staff - Vancouver to Venice transit at Toronto. I was watching the downloaded movies on my iPhone 8+ (recommended by Transat's office in Vancouver as the screen on the aircraft was too small) on flight TS168 from Toronto to Venice on Sep 7, 2018. I put back my iPhone in the seat pocket (I think most people usually do) after watching the movie and dozed off. I was so tired when the plane touched down Venice Marco Polo Airport. I scrambled to keep all my stuff in my backpack. When we were at the arrival area searching for our local tour guide, I realized my iPhone was missing. Immediately, we approached our tour guide for assistance. The tour guide directed us to the Lost & Found and Flight Information counters. Both counters could not help us as iPhone was classified as a valuable item. We were given a slip of paper with a Lost Property email. We hastened to our tour guide again for help. Our tour guide approached one of the Transat's ground crew staff. She offered to assist. She started to call someone in Italian which both of us could not understand. She told us to wait at the Flight Information area while she rushed to the aircraft to check. Apparently, the same aircraft was flying back to Toronto in 2 hours. We told our tour guide to proceed with the rest of the people in the group to the hotel. We would manage ourselves by taking a cab. We felt so bad delaying the rest of the tour group. We waited frantically without any update from the Transat staff. who helped us. We checked with the Flight Information and being told that woman was not their staff and no item returned. We were tired and flabbergasted being pushed around and no avenue to get help. We waited for three hours standing at the counter and afraid to move away. We were like being punished. The staff who offered her help did not contact the Flight Information counter or at least turn up to update us the status. She just disappeared! We were totally disappointed with the service. I lost all my contacts, my valuable photos and many notes in my iPhone 8+. The worst is Transat is not making any efforts to assist me! My wife wrote to the Lost Property. She received a reply the next day stating that no item of what we reported was returned. When we were back to Vancouver, the call to Air Transat customer office was a nightmare. The call was placed on hold for at least half an hour. When a staff eventually picked up the call could not answer me and connect me to another department. There again, you were put on hold. No Air Transat again. Never!
RouteVancouver to Venice via Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"cannot be remotely helpful"

Trip Verified | Flew Air Transat from Athens to Montreal. Really terrible customer service. I have never encountered someone so rude as their customer service supervisor who actually hung up on me when he wasn’t able to answer my question. Would not give them your money when they cannot be remotely helpful if issues are encountered.
RouteAthens to Montreal
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"This was the worst flight"

Trip Verified | Montréal to Barcelona. This flight was the worst flight that I ever have been on. I was sitting near the window, and I could not sit straight, I did not fit in the seat, can you imagine. I am a man of 5.10, 172 pound and my shoulder did not fit in the seat. They finally saw that one seat was available in the back so they transferred me. I was hit by every one that went to the bathroom. I have to return this Sunday, and I am apprehending the return like you can not imagine. I arrived in Barcelona very tired, and I can not imagine my return to work.
RouteMontréal to Barcelona
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"crew were polite and attentive"

Trip Verified | We flew club class from Toronto to Montreal and were supposed to catch an 11:15 connecting flight (also Air Transat) to Porto, Portugal. Upon arrival at Trudeau we were informed the flight was cancelled and were immediately taken to see a representative. We were put up at the Marriott at Trudeau for the night, given a $200 travel voucher each and a card to claim any expenses from our stay at Trudeau. We were also given food vouchers. All of this without needing to ask. They simply offered it. We were also re-booked for the next day at 16:00. So the next day came and we left the hotel at noon. We went to check in and found out the flight was delayed until 19:50 and that it would be an A340-300. The clerk at the counter wouldn't come out and say it when I inquired which was a little bit of a sore spot for me but we later found out it was Hi-Fly thanks to some sleuthing on Flight Radar 24. For the record, Hi-Fly did an amazing job as a sub for our later flight. As for the flight itself from Toronto to Montreal, it was excellent. I'm a very nervous flyer and even I was impressed. Pilot was excellent and the crew were polite and attentive. Obviously being a short flight we didn't get a ton of things as our amenities kit would be handed out on our later trans-Atlantic flight. We were however given our ear buds (pretty good sound quality too) and a bottle of water. About 20 minutes after takeoff we were served our cheese plate which was actually quite good. It also came with crackers which themselves were good. Airline food is tough to pull off to begin with but I really feel like Transat did a great job. Flying club class was a treat as being a bigger guy (6'2 280 lbs.) with broad shoulders, I was pleasantly surprised at the fact I could sit with my arms at my sides and not touch my fiancee. Given it also cost less than a flex economy fair on Air Canada for two people it was more than worth it. I'm still giving them a 10/10 because while the delays were irksome and technically maintenance related, I like the fact that they played it safe and cancelled the flight and I also give them full credit for handling it so professionally and making it a much easier experience. I know too many people who've had to fight airlines for things they screwed up. Transat owned the issue and did all they could to correct it. I'd fly them again in a heartbeat.
AircraftA330-200
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteToronto to Montreal

"Very disappointing"

Trip Verified | On our recent flight from Toronto to Zagreb, I was reviewing the digital duty free descriptions while on the flight and noted that a gift would be provided if a combined total of $99 was spent. We went ahead and made our purchase which was over the $99 and were then told no gift as this was an old promotion, yet the in-flight online entertainment on our TV screens was showing that indeed we were owed a gift. The one stewardess was very polite and provide me with an envelope with the customer service contact. Upon contacting the appropriate department, we were told "Sorry for the inconvenience" we cannot do anything to help you. Very disappointing. False advertising is what that is. I can understand if this was on a printed copy of the duty free magazine, but on the digital one? I even took pictures, which I supplied to customer service, who again said, we cannot help you. Oh well. The joys of flying with a low budget carrier. Next time, I guess we ask for our free gift first and then pay for our purchases.
RouteToronto to Zagreb