Air Tanzania

"Never again will I take Air Tanzania"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | Sorry - Air TZ email and ticketing info is the worst, and staff tries to blame it on you. If I could give negative 10 stars for the stress caused by this trip, I would. Sorry, another story about bad customer service and Air TZ. My friend and I both booked tickets and came to the terminal in the Jomo Kenyatta Airport (Nairobi) marked for Air TZ departures. However, after getting through security, we were told it was the wrong terminal. By the time we got to the correct one, the checkin gate was closed. And although there was time, we were told the flight was ready to go. They left 20 minutes early with 4 missing passengers. Wondering how we could have not gotten the right terminal, we looked over all communication we had gotten from Air TZ. There was no terminal, gate, or seat information, and only boarding time was listed. Also, when we tried to checkin online the night before and that morning, the website was full of processing errors and we each only had the tickets for the second leg of our two leg journey issued. On going to the local Nairobi office to rebook, they insisted we would have to pay a change fee. One of us had booked through a third party, and they blamed the poor email communication on that, even though all ticketing information we received from Air TZ directly looked the same for both of us. The worst thing is that local staff lied and said no other passengers had missed the flight and refused to call the airport to see if the signage was actually mismarked for the terminal! They said it was our responsibility to call customer service if we couldn't find terminal and gate information on our tickets. I pointed out that it was impossible they expect every passenger to do so. They also said it was standard to arrive 3 hours early for international flights, and if we had done so, we would have not missed it. Really? 3 hours early for a 2 hour flight? Having taken a 13 hour flight a few weeks prior, that airline only required us to show up 90 minutes early. So they want us to show up 3 hours ahead because of their poor communication and they are allowed to leave 20 minutes early? Lastly, when we were issued tickets for the rebooked departure - which we had to pay for, in addition to forfeiting our vacation hotel booking that night - all the information that was missing before was also missing on these tickets. Never again will I take Air Tanzania.
RouteNairobi to Zanzibar via Dar Salaam
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"staff were professional and helpful"

Trip Verified | Flight departed and arrived on time, was smooth, and gate staff and onboard staff were professional and helpful. Baggage pick-up was smooth and quick in Arusha.
RouteZanzibar to Arusha
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"a conventional flying experience"

Trip Verified | Had a safe, professional, and relatively timely experience flying Air Tanzania. My flight was about 45 minutes delayed--perfectly inexcessive as far as delays go, and still landing me at the destination airport in a timely manner to make a connecting international flight. Baggage collection was smooth. Overall review: a conventional flying experience, on par with other reputable carriers.
RouteArusha to Zanzibar via Dar es Salaam
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"most incompetent and unprofessional"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | Air Tanzania are the most incompetent and unprofessional airline I have ever used. I used them from Lusaka to Nairobi via Daresalaam on 4th September Flight 212 from Lusaka to Dar was delayed by 2 hrs ostensibly due to technical challenges which necessitated a plane change, then flight 202 from Dar to Nbi was also held up for 2 more hours while they sorted out scheduling conflicts arising from the delays, with some passengers waiting on the plane, others in the airport waiting area and yet others in the airport bus. At one point they also ran out of stationery to print boarding passes. No cogent apologies or explanations were given by the ground staff, though the Captain at some point apologized but tried to put the blame on distant Kenyan authorities. Finally arrived in Nbi at 12 midnight only to find our bags had been eft behind i Dar or Lusaka!! I finally got home at 2 am, minu my bags Needless to say, that is the first and last time I use Air Tanzania.
RouteLusaka to Nairobi via Dar es Salaam
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"fuel leak on the right wing"

(Chile)

Trip Verified | We had to emergency land due to a fuel leak on the right wing. This was detected before the flight and “fixed” and made us fly the same aircraft. After 15 mins we had to emergency land.
AircraftA220-300
RouteKilimanjaro to Entebbe
Date FlownAugust 2022

"Never give your money to them"

Trip Verified | Worst Flight Company Ever. One day in advance we are informed on a flight cancellation and rebooking to a flight from Kilimanjaro airport instead of Arusha originally. This is causing already a 2 hours delay from the original plans. At the airport we are informed on 3 extra hours delay … Bye bye the nice evening in Zanzibar ! Few days before we had to suffer from 5h delays with Air Tanzania for the flight taking us to Tanzania. Which caused issues with our Safari organisation… Never give your money to them, prefer other plans
Date FlownJuly 2022

"3 weeks since I lost my Luggage"

(Kenya)

Not Verified | I regret for having used this airline to Zambia on 29th June 2022 and back to Kenya on 5th July 2022, where I lost my suitcase on 29th June 2022. I have not received any information about the whereabouts of my suitcase. I went to Zambia for a wedding function and arrived there minus the clothes for the function. My stay in Zambia was very cumbersome and costly. I have tried all the avenues to follow my luggage but all is in vain. It is now 3 weeks since I lost my Luggage.
RouteNairobi to Lusaka via Dar es Salaam
Date FlownJuly 2022

"I could not check-in without it"

Trip Verified | I traveled last evening 1st Nov from Dar to Mumbai. It was a tight schedule since I came from Arusha and had to take this 1 hr later connecting flight at 19.50 to Mumbai TC 2400 . Within an hour, I had to get my bags from the domestic terminal to the international and do the rest of the process to be on my flight back home. When I came to the counter, I was asked for my Air Suvidha Form. Unfortunately I wasn't aware and the man behind said I could not check-in without it. At this time I had all my documents ready - both Vaccines done in India, a local covid test done at Arusha a few hrs before the flight. I showed the man behind the counter and he refused to move forward, saying I could not leave without the Air Suvidha form duly filled online (I don't know how important this form was since no one from here on asked me for the form - neither in the airport at Dar nor in Mumbai). He promptly directed me to 2 Tanzanian Airline employees and they in a very rude tone told me they could do it but it was not for free. They demanded 50,000 Tanzanian to fill the form for me and I reluctantly paid . Meanwhile I called me agent who booked the ticket for me and she too got on to the job of filling this online form. The counter was kept open since this process was on and the ladies signaled to the counter guy, probably indicating that the deal is done and they are on the job. I'm not too sure if the counter staff is a part of this racket, but I'm convinced that he is aware. If I had chosen to do this with my agent, they would have closed the counter on me, I say this cause they already told me the counter is closed and my time was up and I had to miss my flight when I first came to check in - the deal with the Tanzanian lady staff kept the counter open for me. Finally my agent filled the form and sent me the completed form before these ladies could do it. I showed it to them and they confirmed it was ok and asked me to go to the counter. The rest is standard process. No one asked me for the form. I got into the flight which was delayed for more than ½hr. The ladies didn't return my money even though they didn't do the job (that was expected considering the greed and the language they used in my brief conversation with them ). I have great respect for the people of Tanzania and admire the courtesy, care and hospitality they exhibit, but these minor isseues need to be fixed immediately to avoid damage.
RouteMumbai to Dar Es Salaam
Date FlownNovember 2021

"they make my clients delay"

(Tanzania)

Trip Verified | I have booked the flight for my clients From Arusha to Zanzibar and they make my clients delay while waiting for the manager who did not show up, I called her myself with no help at all so I decide to buy 2 tickets for $300 from Precision Air and my clients fly 30 minutes later. This is the Third time as the first time was 2 hours delay without notice and the second time was bad service onboard.
Date FlownMay 2021

"worst airline I have ever encountered"

(Saudi Arabia)

Not Verified | The worst airline I have ever encountered. We arrived to the airport and they tell us our flight boarding has closed and the manager is coming to talk to us. The manager never came, we had to make a big fuss in the airport and we finally had to lose 3 hours of our time although we were flying back home that night. They made us book another ticket for 300$ after which they ask for cash because even the airport workers put money in their pockets which is fully disgusting to even think of. Again, we never saw the manager who made us wait 30 mins for nothing. Such an awful airplane and airport all in all in Arusha.
Date FlownMay 2021