Air New Zealand

"refusing to refund"

Trip Verified | Tickets were purchased pre-covid to NZ for a cruise. Covid hits, borders and countries closed, flights cancelled. We all know this story. However, Air New Zealand are refusing to refund my parents money who are on a pension and have some disabilities. They have delayed, deflected, repeated and finally a 1 year credit, with "NO" agreement or consultation. How dare they refuse to refund flights they can not provide. How is it possible the Airlines can just say, no, we are keeping your money.
RouteAdelaide to Auckland
Date FlownMay 2020

"Air New Zealand reputation tarnished"

Trip Verified | The way Air New Zealand handles th Covid-19 situation is very irresponsible. No response from them except once, regarding how much credit I have. It's been 3 weeks since my flight has been cancelled by them without warning. No notifications sent out by them when flight was cancelled. I called in twice to re-book my flight (as credit refund couldn't allow me to book online), both calls were only recording my details. 2 weeks passed, no call back or whatsoever. Customer service response rate is 0. I always fly country airline when I'm visiting the country. Right now, Air New Zealand reputation tarnished.
RouteChristchurch to Singapore
Date FlownJune 2020

"Not refunding flights"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Papeete booked for late June. Not refunding flights. Will not be booking again with them. They should be refunding since the government gave them a loan.
RouteAuckland to Papeete
Date FlownJune 2020

"I cannot get a refund"

Trip Verified | I cannot get a refund for flights to Canada cancelled by Air New Zealand. Any Air NZ flight to the USA or transiting USA get refunds but this company still refuses to do the right thing by Kiwis and Australians flying to other destinations. It's immoral, unethical and corrupt. I'm down A$6200 and all I've been offered is a credit that I may never use and does not pay bills. Touching 70 years old and need my A$6,200 not a credit to become a unsecured creditor of Air NZ.
RouteCairns to Vancouver via Auckland
Date FlownMay 2020

"refused to offer a refund"

Trip Verified | Perth to Christchurch. Disgrace - bought a business flight, Air New Zealand cancelled my flight and refused to offer a refund. I can’t use the credit in 12 months as my wife is pregnant and I wont be going on a holiday any time soon. How can you pay for a service that they don’t offer and not get a refund. Australian airlines offered refunds. Don't support Air New Zealand.
RoutePerth to Christchurch
Date FlownApril 2020

"Don't expect a refund"

Trip Verified | Don't expect a refund if your flight is cancelled by them!! We were booked for a 6 week trip involving 6 different airlines before Covid-19 struck. 5 of those 6 airlines provided us with a full refund when our flights were cancelled. All of them except Air New Zealand did the right thing. We were charged $500 in cancellation fees for 2 tickets that we didn't cancel - they did! When I told the customer service rep "it wasn't our fault" he simply said "it's not our fault either." How can you charge a fee for a trip you can't provide? Shame on Air New Zealand. I will never use your airline.
RouteAuckland to Vancouver
Date FlownMay 2020

"are ignoring US aviation rules"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | My flights were canceled with no replacement service. I refused a credit note valid for a one off purchase valid for one year. As I was traveling for a one off event. I was told this was a very good deal by the Air NZ customer service. They owe me $2500 and are ignoring US aviation rules regarding fare refunds. If the credit had of been valued for multiple flights and with no expiry date that would have been a semi decent offer. But the fact they are legally obligated to give a full cash refund but are palming off hard working customers with a one year one off use credit note is disgusting. The amount of lost custom in the future will reverse any money they are able to keep. Jetstar on the other hand refunded canceled tickets within 14 days so I'll be using them in the future.
RouteAuckland to Houston
Date FlownApril 2020

"charged a cancellation fee"

Not Verified | Beware Air New Zealand ticket scam. Customers seeking a refund are charged a cancellation fee by Air New Zealand on flights cancelled by the airline. Current rules on credits allow for only one rebooked flight per person within 12 month period, the future ticket price is not guaranteed, residual credits are lost and, no carry forward interest on prepaid flights. Do not agree to a credit for airline cancelled flights and, expect an attempt to charge fees when seeking a refund on airline cancelled flights. A prepaid ticket forms a Contact and while Air New Zealand has elected to cancel flights (thereby no longer delivering the service the customer has paid for), it demands the customer send in a cancellation notice to trigger a refund which under their code of conduct allows the airline to charge the customer a 'cancellation' fee.
RouteSydney to Christchurch
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"full refund within 2 days"

Trip Verified | For some years now Air New Zealand has been my airline of choice on my annual trip from London to Los Angeles. Towards the end of 2019 I booked a flight for September 2020 in the knowledge that they were stopping this route as of October 2020. Last week I discovered that as a result of Covid 19 they would be cancelling this route with immediate effect and not resuming it. I put in a refund request via the WhatsApp link on their web and I had a full refund within 2 days. This service equalled the great service I have always experienced on board. I will miss travelling with them.
RouteLondon to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"I want full repayment"

Trip Verified | London to Auckland via Los Angeles. I booked Air NZ because of a friend's recommendation. A very expensive mistake! Air NZ cancelled our flights from LHR to Auckland via LA over a month ago. However, in spite of contacting them by telephone about the cancellation and our further expenses for seat reservations, I have still have not received any refunds. They owe me almost £4500. I do not want a voucher or credit, I want full repayment. What a truly dreadful company. They are clearly operating outside of the international regulations. When the international aviation industry picks up again I will be avoiding this airline!
RouteLondon to Auckland via Los Angeles