Air New Zealand

"Staff on the flights were fantastic"

Not Verified | I booked flights for my family on this route. We had a further connection from Chicago to Akron. The woman at the desk at the Gold Coast was so helpful and friendly in getting us sorted and informed on how to get our bags all the way to Akron (we had to recheck them when we landed in Chicago, which we weren't told by our booking agent). Staff on the flights, particularly the long haul from Auckland to Chicago, were fantastic. They did everything to be of assistance to us - my wife is pregnant and we were traveling with our 6 month old too.
RouteGold Coast to Chicago via Auckland

"Very poor service"

Not Verified | Melbourne to Queenstown. Very poor service. Poor self management experience online. Trying to change my ticket on the phone but waited>15 minutes with no response. At the Melbourne airport service said you must call them as we cannot make changes to your ticket. At the end they checked us in all over the aircraft instead of being together. No leg room for tall person. Unfriendly aircrew
RouteMelbourne to Queenstown

"disorganised, terrible communication"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Auckland. Flight yesterday was canceled after 4 hours took staff to organise accommodation another 3 hours - disorganised, terrible communication and inexperienced. Tried to Cancel accomodation in Auckland, Could Not as too late. Following day new flight - check was nightmare staff hopeless stood around none understood what delays were - told we were on stand bye as not enough seat on plane. Finally got checked in again through customs for 2nd time - flight delayed again this time a further 2 hours.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland
Date FlownAugust 2019

"cabin was well set out"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Auckland. Premium Economy was exactly what it said and more. The separate cabin was well set out, leg rests were adjustable and allowed almost complete lieback. There was plenty of leg room between the seats . The staff were attentive. An icon on the screen allowed one to call a staff member at any time. Extra drinks were available. The on-screen entertainment was varied and meals were excellent. For breakfast before landing we were offered fruit salad and cereals plus youghurt, crackers and cheese, and a main course. I chose the omelette with potatoes and mushrooms and tomato. I could not fault any of the service from ground staff through to airline staff.
RouteHong Kong to Auckland

"a very stressful trip"

Trip Verified | Due to issues with the plane coming from Auckland to Adelaide our flight to Auckland was delayed by several hours thus making it impossible for us to make the connecting Air New Zealand flight to San Francisco. Air New Zealand decided to reassign us to the flight going to LAX (really dislike this airport) instead and put us on a domestic flight in the US to San Francisco. The whole point of us flying Air NZ was because of the direct international flight from Adelaide and getting us to our preferred destination of San Francisco. Our arrival in San Francisco was 5 hours later than expected so we were not able to do anything other than have dinner in our hotel and go to bed as had early morning flight next day of which Air New Zealand were aware. Contacted the airline re compensation of some kind eg an upgrade on return flight but was advised it is not their policy to do this as essentially they had got us to our destination. We did get offered the use of their airport lounge in Auckland on the return trip. It was a very stressful trip over as by time we got through immigration, customs and domestic security in LA we nearly missed the domestic flight (they were closing the gates). Overall every Air New Zealand flight we took was delayed by at least an hour. The on board entertainment was very poor, all old movies. On our flight home from Houston to Auckland (premium economy) one of our screens was not working and could not be fixed so we had to share. Best thing we watched was the online safety message. Food ok but really nothing special.
AircraftBoeing 777-200 and Boeing 777-300
RouteAdelaide to San Francisco via Auckland

"Was less than happy"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Queenstown. Initially the staff I dealt with over the phone and in the airport were great, how ever my flight to Queenstown was cancelled, which I was not alerted about via email or text. The group I was travelling with (4 adults and a child) were put on a flight to Sydney (from Adelaide) then to Queenstown the same day, I therefore called Air New Zealand to try to arrange this flight to Sydney in which I was told it was impossible and unlikely they were on this flight as it was with Jetstar, needless to say I didn’t get to Queenstown until the following day which resulted in my lateness for wedding preparations. After this I still had no notifications of my further flights to Queenstown but had to call again late at night to find this information. Was less than happy with the communication from the cancellation to the rebooking of the flight.
RouteMelbourne to Queenstown

"Luckily was upgraded"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Nuku'alofa. Luckily was upgraded just before boarding. Standard of flight attendants and IFE amazing. Lie-flat function of seat fantastic, only good for sleeping on back, not sideways. Really love the big table, gave me impression. Wine selection was better than the food surprisingly.
RouteAuckland to Nuku'alofa
Date FlownJuly 2019

"lack of customer service"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I had to fly from Auckland to Nelson following surgery to my knee. My surgeon had faxed through documents stating that I would need a wheelchair for both getting to the plane in Auckland and getting off the plane in Nelson. I scanned my boarding pass along with my support person's and was assuming that they would have a system in place where it would show an alert to me needing assistance (wheelchair). It did not. My support person spoke to the Air New Zealand staff member regarding use of a wheelchair. She said it's only a short walk (to plane)and left it at that. There was absolutely no pleasantries from her at all. We walked out to the plane (past about 8 wheelchairs!) Which for someone newly on crutches was a long way. We were baffled by her actions and lack of customer service. Getting off the plane in Nelson was the total opposite. A wheelchair was waiting for me at the bottom of the ramp and she pushed me all the way out to the carpark. Guess maybe Auckland lady was having a rough day? Or she is just an awful uncaring person? It's a shame that one person's actions can have such a negative impact.
RouteAuckland to Nelson
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Poor service on this flight"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Singapore to Auckland on the 787-9. Poor service on this flight. Flight attendants look like they are about to retire and do not represent NZ at all, no style at all. Very dirty plane, air vents haven't been cleaned in ages, see photos. Lights had dirt around them. The window hasn't been cleaned, oily film from someone's hair. USB charging stopped mid-flight. Flight attendants unprofessional and unqualified like others have mentioned. The flight attendants were rude and asked 3 times what I wanted without giving me a chance to respond, gave us an ice cream tub without a spoon? This Airline is nowhere near the quality of Singapore Airlines, Qatar, Emirates. I can safely say I had better service on Jetstar for crying out loud. Meals were substandard similar to southern China airlines plastic cutlery and tasteless food no seasoning at all, however, China Southern is extremely cheap, Air NZ is so overpriced. The seat was uncomfortable not enough lateral thigh support. The Dreamliner is a joke, the 777, A330, 350 and 380 are far more comfortable planes. A huge difference between Singapore and Air NZ. Singapore ran a drink service every 45 minutes and snacks every other hour. Air NZ, on the other hand, comes every 1.5 hours with plastic cups in one hand and a jug in the other, can tell they are cutting costs. Unfortunately, they codeshare with Singapore however if AIR NZ is offered again on my itinerary I will avoid which means avoiding Singapore Airlines which is Number 1 if it means I have to stay 15 hours for a Singapore flight I would take that any day over Air NZ. Even Qantas, Sri Lankan, and Malaysian Airlines are above Air NZ. The menu, for instance, is announced over the PA no paper menu and no time to hand out hot towels and to think they charge more than their competitors? Inflight entertainment is average route map is very basic. No WIFI. Nothing to recommend here.
RouteSingapore to Auckland
Date FlownJune 2019

"Super comfortable seat"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to London. The best airline I've flown. Super comfortable seat, and I'm 6'2. Best food I've had on a plan.. Free, fast wifi- I could watch Netflix. IFE was pretty good. Crew could've been a bit more friendly. .
RouteLos Angeles to London