Air New Zealand

"They sell tickets to cancel them shortly after"

Not Verified | We bought 2 tickets Sydney-Papeete and they cancelled it 10 days later supposedly because of COVID when the situation has not changed since (no mandatory quarantine in Papeete and no change on restrictions at the NZ border). And they don't even offer us a refund because “it's not they fault”. They sell tickets to cancel them shortly after and thus accumulate credit knowing that some customers will not be able to use or sell it. I absolutely do not recommend Air New Zealand
RouteSydney to Auckland via Papeete
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"worse than budget airlines"

Trip Verified | The absolute worst customer service given the current climate. I had a connected flight booked to Sydney and received an email changing the time only one week after booking. Ten days after this, a week before I was due to fly, I received a second email confirming the time changes from the first, however Air New Zealand had also discreetly changed the date to 3 weeks later, while maintaining the exact same time. I noticed the change two days prior to flying and called the airline in a panic. After being kept on hold, I spoke to a robot like woman who did not once apologise for a) their emails being incorrect b) the fact they had changed the flight dates at all. She provided no solutions, and no reimbursements. There was no way for my to get to Sydney, so in the end I had to pay £800 extra to book a Singapore Airlines operated by Air NZ flight home direct from Auckland. I missed my flight from Sydney to London, the cost of which I have to refrain myself from thinking about as it makes my heart race every time. The customer service was unhelpful - tried to put me on hold, push me to speak to another team, got the dates for the day I wanted to fly which then meant an increase of prices, and incorrectly hold me the price I had eventually forked out also included an extra bag. At the airport that 24kg extra bag was going to cost me $500 on account of Air NZ having a ridiculous fee of $250 per 23kg. If you exceed this there is no oversized fee, but you have to pay for an additional bag. In the end, as I was flying through Singapore Airlines operated by Air NZ the very kind gentleman at the counter (who was on the phone to Air NZ getting rates) took pity on me and wavered the fee. He apologised for Air NZ, and said in times like this when we're all just desperate to get home we need to be kind. That's the attitude I would expect of New Zealand national airline. I will never fly Air NZ ever again. The service I received was worse than budget airlines such as Easy Jet and Ryanair who I always expect to be trying to take my money at every turn. I would not have expected this of Air NZ who leave me £1000 poorer than I was 10 days ago for no reason at all. The flight via Singapore Airlines was exceptional and I will be leaving them a wonderful review!
RouteAuckland to Sydney
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"just allowed one 23kg bag per person"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I have a complaint about the service of this company. We bought a flight for today. The flight is from Auckland to Houston. The problem is that they just allowed one 23kg bag per person, so, my partner and me decided to pay an extra bag. This one supposed to be cheaper if we would have payed online, but as the flight has a connection from LA to Houston with United Airlines, we couldn’t do it online. When we called, the customer service attendant told us that the extra bag is going to be 250NZD plus 160NZD of the heavy charge. We didn’t thought that this total payment will be 500NZD in total. They charged 250NZD because of the extra bag and 250NZD because the latter was 32kg. If we had known this, we would have pay 2 extra bag of 250NZD. If you do the maths, they are charging for 46kg and we are carrying on just 32kg. This is how air companies still the money from customers, even in this hard situation that the world is going through. Not even our belongings in that bag have this value, but they are really important for us, so we couldn’t leave it behind. A last thing to add, the front desk attendant was the worst ever. He didn’t even let us explain him the situation, interrupted all the time. Apparently he didn’t speak English, and he laughed in our face all the time.
RouteAuckland to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Air NZ you are not being compassionate or considerate"

Trip Verified | Air NZ you are not being compassionate or considerate and are only considering yourselves in this COVID time. We booked you in December 2019 (8 tickets SYD-Queenstown) and then COVID hits and Air NZ cancel the flights on us in July for a trip in September 2020. We completely understand as your borders are closed (not our fault or yours), however all you have done is offer a credit for 12 months, which is unacceptable. We now have in excess of $3,500 in credit, return our money as it's our money not yours to hold onto. Some of us have no job, no income with children to feed and you offer no compassion, fix this and do the right thing? We eagerly await your response.
RouteSydney to Queenstown
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"won't even refund the flight money"

(Fiji)

Not Verified | Was booked in to go home to Fiji, Melbourne to Sydney to Fiji. In the meantime New Zealand had declared a 12 hr max. Layover which my connecting fights exceeded. Although they knew about this they did not notify passengers (all 30 of them) and had to be quarantined in Sydney for 2 nights before return to Melbourne. Now they won't even refund the flight money let alone all the extra expenses. Never fly with them!!
RouteSydney to Auckland
Date FlownAugust 2020

"great flight with no problems"

Not Verified | Auckland to Sydney in February 2020. It was great flight with no problems. I was unable to pull up my booking on my phone so I had to go to customer service who printed it out. I will fly Air New Zealand whenever I can.
RouteAuckland to Sydney
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"treat a customer in such a disgusting manner"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | After having my 3rd flight cancelled during the covid 19 I am seriously never going to book another flight with Air New Zealand. I was released from my 14 quarantine. At Auckland after traveling back from Australia only to find my flight from Auckland Had been once again cancelled. This left me stranded in a city with nowhere to go. I had to spend the freezing cold night on the street as the manager at the domestic terminal said they won't provide me with accommodation. This left me worried for my safety and my health. I can not believe an airline would treat a customer in such a disgusting manner and it has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Thankfully my children weren't with me on this occasion. Finally I was able to get on a flight back to Dunedin the next day. But to rub salt into my wounds my flight which was originally a direct flight was now a 6 hour flight due to having to stop over in Christchurch for 3 hours. I would be very aware if you are booked to fly with Air New Zealand as I find it totally disgusting in the treatment I have received.
RouteAuckland to Dunedin
Date FlownAugust 2020

"not entitle you to a refund"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Almost by chance we find on the airline's website that our flight has been canceled. Given the period it is not surprising, what instead upsets is that the ANZ did not consider it advisable to notify us: no mail, no message, nothing. Who knows how long the flight was no longer active without us knowing it. And this is only the beginning! On the site, the only "refund" option is to accept a 12-month voucher. We write rather resentful to the company asking for a full refund, a nice young lady answers us who first asks us for authorization to deal on behalf of all passengers (there are only two passengers and we signed the email on behalf of both) and then she writes us that our type of ticket does not entitle you to a refund but only to a voucher, which we will soon receive. I would add that the toll-free number for Italian customers on the company's website is non-existent. Quasi per caso scopriamo sul sito della compagnia che il nostro volo è stato cancellato. Visto il periodo non stupisce, quello che invece sconvolge è che la ANZ non abbiamo ritenuto opportuno avvisarci: nessuna mail, nessun messaggio, niente. Chissà da quanto tempo il volo non era più attivo senza che noi lo sapessimo. E questo è solo l'inizio! Sul sito l'unica possibilità di "rimborso" è accettare un buono valido 12 mesi. Scriviamo piuttosto risentiti alla compagnia chiedendo il rimborso totale, ci risponde una simpatica signorina che prima ci chiede l'autorizzazione a trattare a nome di tutti i passeggeri (i passeggeri sono solo due e abbiamo firmato la mail a nome di entrambi) e successivamente ci scrive che il nostro tipo di biglietto non da diritto ad un rimborso ma solo ad un buono, che riceveremo presto. Aggiungo che il numero verde dedicato ai clienti italiani, presente sul sito della compagnia, è inesistente.
RouteAuckland to Papeete
Date FlownJuly 2020

"refusing to refund"

Trip Verified | Tickets were purchased pre-covid to NZ for a cruise. Covid hits, borders and countries closed, flights cancelled. We all know this story. However, Air New Zealand are refusing to refund my parents money who are on a pension and have some disabilities. They have delayed, deflected, repeated and finally a 1 year credit, with "NO" agreement or consultation. How dare they refuse to refund flights they can not provide. How is it possible the Airlines can just say, no, we are keeping your money.
RouteAdelaide to Auckland
Date FlownMay 2020

"Air New Zealand reputation tarnished"

Trip Verified | The way Air New Zealand handles th Covid-19 situation is very irresponsible. No response from them except once, regarding how much credit I have. It's been 3 weeks since my flight has been cancelled by them without warning. No notifications sent out by them when flight was cancelled. I called in twice to re-book my flight (as credit refund couldn't allow me to book online), both calls were only recording my details. 2 weeks passed, no call back or whatsoever. Customer service response rate is 0. I always fly country airline when I'm visiting the country. Right now, Air New Zealand reputation tarnished.
RouteChristchurch to Singapore