Air New Zealand

"Air NZ does NOT enforce masks!"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Air NZ does NOT enforce masks! We flew air NZ form LAX to AKL. My wife had a window seat. There was food residue smeared below the window and on her seatbelt when we sat down. We cleaned this up with antiseptic wipes. The major issue was the family in row 52 who did not wear masks for the whole 12 hour flight and when questioned, staff said they can't force anyone to wear them! We has just flown Air Canada from YVR to LAX and it was compulsory or face a fine. We also flew to quarantine from AKL to CHCH and they were compulsory. But we had to endure 12 hours of 4 people with no masks, the closest 2 ft away. Disgraceful in this time and a mockery of all the efforts and suffering people have endured during this pandemic. We are now in a 14 day quarantine. What do you all think, refund of the ticket for putting customers at risk, not addressing a complaint? I have flown Air NZ for 30 years and at the most critical time in modern aviation history and public health and safety, fell flat and didn't care. Disgusted!
RouteLos Angeles to Auckland
Date FlownOctober 2020

"Oh the double standards"

Trip Verified | On return to Brisbane from NZ in October I had a small bag which I have taken many times as hand held luggage, however I was advised I could not take this on and would have to pay for extra baggage. $170 for 10kg. Yet there was 3 people entitled to 7kg each and we only had this 1 bag. Get on the plane and there is a lot of overhead compartment room and guess what there were other people with the same bag. Then what makes me more annoyed was that I go on a quarantine page and a lady tells us how wonderful Air NZ is because they let her take on 2 extra bags at 25kg each free. Oh the double standards.
RouteAuckland to Brisbane
Date FlownOctober 2020

"disgraceful and zero trustworthy airline"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | The worst airline booking system ever. I booked a return flight ticket to Wellington for myself and my wife for a short trip over the holiday. We had Airpoints enough to cover the cost of the tickets and we redeemed all the airpoints via their online booking website. We booked a flight and confirmed the departure was at 12:15 PM from Auckland airport. No single email notification was received or any update from Air New Zealand whatsoever. Later close to our departure, we thought it would be good to check our flight schedule, but my wife's flight details were changed to different time without any notification nor any update. We tried rescheduling our flight schedule so we could travel together, but the guy who answered a phone after a long time waiting told us off and saying it was all our fault not calling them when we didnt receive any emails from Air New Zealand. I didnt know it was a passenger's responsibility to track their emailing lists. We ended up paying for extra $$ to reschedule our flight, but we realised, it would have been cheaper if we cancelled the flight rather than rescheduling. They also charged us some payment fees for using Airpoints which was not written anywhere in the terms. This is by far the worst experience we have ever had from airline companies all around the world and we will do our best to avoid using Air New Zealand from now on for the rest of our lives. Oh we will also get all our family members not to use Air New Zealand at all. Terrible, disgraceful and zero trustworthy airline company in conclusion.
RouteAuckland to Wellington
Date FlownOctober 2020

"They sell tickets to cancel them shortly after"

Not Verified | We bought 2 tickets Sydney-Papeete and they cancelled it 10 days later supposedly because of COVID when the situation has not changed since (no mandatory quarantine in Papeete and no change on restrictions at the NZ border). And they don't even offer us a refund because “it's not they fault”. They sell tickets to cancel them shortly after and thus accumulate credit knowing that some customers will not be able to use or sell it. I absolutely do not recommend Air New Zealand
RouteSydney to Auckland via Papeete
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"worse than budget airlines"

Trip Verified | The absolute worst customer service given the current climate. I had a connected flight booked to Sydney and received an email changing the time only one week after booking. Ten days after this, a week before I was due to fly, I received a second email confirming the time changes from the first, however Air New Zealand had also discreetly changed the date to 3 weeks later, while maintaining the exact same time. I noticed the change two days prior to flying and called the airline in a panic. After being kept on hold, I spoke to a robot like woman who did not once apologise for a) their emails being incorrect b) the fact they had changed the flight dates at all. She provided no solutions, and no reimbursements. There was no way for my to get to Sydney, so in the end I had to pay £800 extra to book a Singapore Airlines operated by Air NZ flight home direct from Auckland. I missed my flight from Sydney to London, the cost of which I have to refrain myself from thinking about as it makes my heart race every time. The customer service was unhelpful - tried to put me on hold, push me to speak to another team, got the dates for the day I wanted to fly which then meant an increase of prices, and incorrectly hold me the price I had eventually forked out also included an extra bag. At the airport that 24kg extra bag was going to cost me $500 on account of Air NZ having a ridiculous fee of $250 per 23kg. If you exceed this there is no oversized fee, but you have to pay for an additional bag. In the end, as I was flying through Singapore Airlines operated by Air NZ the very kind gentleman at the counter (who was on the phone to Air NZ getting rates) took pity on me and wavered the fee. He apologised for Air NZ, and said in times like this when we're all just desperate to get home we need to be kind. That's the attitude I would expect of New Zealand national airline. I will never fly Air NZ ever again. The service I received was worse than budget airlines such as Easy Jet and Ryanair who I always expect to be trying to take my money at every turn. I would not have expected this of Air NZ who leave me £1000 poorer than I was 10 days ago for no reason at all. The flight via Singapore Airlines was exceptional and I will be leaving them a wonderful review!
RouteAuckland to Sydney
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"just allowed one 23kg bag per person"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I have a complaint about the service of this company. We bought a flight for today. The flight is from Auckland to Houston. The problem is that they just allowed one 23kg bag per person, so, my partner and me decided to pay an extra bag. This one supposed to be cheaper if we would have payed online, but as the flight has a connection from LA to Houston with United Airlines, we couldn’t do it online. When we called, the customer service attendant told us that the extra bag is going to be 250NZD plus 160NZD of the heavy charge. We didn’t thought that this total payment will be 500NZD in total. They charged 250NZD because of the extra bag and 250NZD because the latter was 32kg. If we had known this, we would have pay 2 extra bag of 250NZD. If you do the maths, they are charging for 46kg and we are carrying on just 32kg. This is how air companies still the money from customers, even in this hard situation that the world is going through. Not even our belongings in that bag have this value, but they are really important for us, so we couldn’t leave it behind. A last thing to add, the front desk attendant was the worst ever. He didn’t even let us explain him the situation, interrupted all the time. Apparently he didn’t speak English, and he laughed in our face all the time.
RouteAuckland to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"Air NZ you are not being compassionate or considerate"

Trip Verified | Air NZ you are not being compassionate or considerate and are only considering yourselves in this COVID time. We booked you in December 2019 (8 tickets SYD-Queenstown) and then COVID hits and Air NZ cancel the flights on us in July for a trip in September 2020. We completely understand as your borders are closed (not our fault or yours), however all you have done is offer a credit for 12 months, which is unacceptable. We now have in excess of $3,500 in credit, return our money as it's our money not yours to hold onto. Some of us have no job, no income with children to feed and you offer no compassion, fix this and do the right thing? We eagerly await your response.
RouteSydney to Queenstown
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"won't even refund the flight money"

(Fiji)

Not Verified | Was booked in to go home to Fiji, Melbourne to Sydney to Fiji. In the meantime New Zealand had declared a 12 hr max. Layover which my connecting fights exceeded. Although they knew about this they did not notify passengers (all 30 of them) and had to be quarantined in Sydney for 2 nights before return to Melbourne. Now they won't even refund the flight money let alone all the extra expenses. Never fly with them!!
RouteSydney to Auckland
Date FlownAugust 2020

"great flight with no problems"

Not Verified | Auckland to Sydney in February 2020. It was great flight with no problems. I was unable to pull up my booking on my phone so I had to go to customer service who printed it out. I will fly Air New Zealand whenever I can.
RouteAuckland to Sydney
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"treat a customer in such a disgusting manner"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | After having my 3rd flight cancelled during the covid 19 I am seriously never going to book another flight with Air New Zealand. I was released from my 14 quarantine. At Auckland after traveling back from Australia only to find my flight from Auckland Had been once again cancelled. This left me stranded in a city with nowhere to go. I had to spend the freezing cold night on the street as the manager at the domestic terminal said they won't provide me with accommodation. This left me worried for my safety and my health. I can not believe an airline would treat a customer in such a disgusting manner and it has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Thankfully my children weren't with me on this occasion. Finally I was able to get on a flight back to Dunedin the next day. But to rub salt into my wounds my flight which was originally a direct flight was now a 6 hour flight due to having to stop over in Christchurch for 3 hours. I would be very aware if you are booked to fly with Air New Zealand as I find it totally disgusting in the treatment I have received.
RouteAuckland to Dunedin