Air New Zealand

"Airline did not accept any responsibility"

Trip Verified | This is my first experience with Air New Zealand and the worst airline for customer service. My ticket was cancelled and rebooked on a non optimal flight without advising me. On day of departure I was refused check in even when I arrived 3 hours prior to departure, told to go away and book another flight on their customers service number. When I rang was on hold for 2 days getting redirected and hung up on with no resolution. Tried visiting Brisbane office but this has now closed. Airline did not accept any responsibility for their terrible customer service. As such I am out of thousands of dollars from missed connecting flights and accommodation. I will never trust or choose Air New Zealand for my flights.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland via Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2022

"did not offer any assistance"

Trip Verified | By far the worst experience I’ve ever had with an airline. They cancelled my flight and did not offer any assistance or other options. The changes cost me $800 of my own money changing hotels, other flights etc. There was no remorse and not even an apology. I spent 3 hours on hold with no answer on 2 occasions. I will never think to book an Air New Zealand flight again and will certainly not recommend this airline to my family, friends and colleagues. I have no words for how disappointing their ‘customer service’ is. I’m shocked that the airline hasn’t been forced to close their doors with this kind of treatment to a customer. I’ve never sent a negative review in my life but this needs to be shared.
RouteBrisbane to Christchurch via Sydney
Date FlownJune 2022

"Double standards. Terrible airline"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Terrible service. I paid for a seat which cost me $5 extra on top of my flight. I get on the plane only to find an old lady in my seat. I asked if she’d paid for that seat and she said no and she just sat there. So I decided that I would not pay for my seat allocation again and I would just sit there also. Jumped on my plane today and just sat in the seat that I like only to be told I must sit in my allocated seat. I don’t get it? Am I not given the same treatment as some lady? If somebody can take my seat without paying for it then so should I but nope. Double standards. Terrible airline.
RouteChristchurch to Auckland
Date FlownMay 2022

"Not impressed - particularly at the total dishonesty!"

Trip Verified | Don't trust them, we booked Brisbane - Auckland return in Premium economy and they downgraded us to economy with no offer of a refund. I then paid $380AUD to get one leg upgraded back to Premium economy. That's fraud. Waited on the phone for over two hours to be told by the bloke in the call center "tough - that's the way it is". Not impressed - particularly at the total dishonesty!
RouteBrisbane to Los Angeles via Auckland
Date FlownApril 2022

"They do not care about their customers"

Trip Verified | Due to the pandemic, I have been unable to fly with this airline as of yet. My entire experience with this airline and their service dealing with pandemic related issues was the most frustrating and financially costly experience I have ever had with any airline. My family bought tickets to fly out during the spring of 2020, which for obvious reasons fell through. Over the course of the following two years, we pursued every possible avenue to receive a refund for those tickets as we were either unable to fly due to pandemic restrictions in the US and New Zealand, or in the case of this year, members of my family became financially incapable of travel. Even though we reached out many times to make our case for getting out money back so we could travel when everything was safe and we were all financially stable again, the airline refused to budge on the issue. I ended up having to call in to their service line to personally address the issue rather than approach it through emails. Even after years of dealing with our tickets being held up in purgatory and our financial situation getting worse, the final nail in the coffin came today as I received a $175 phone charge for the 44 minutes I had to be on the phone to get half of my family's money back. After years of dealing with this airline, they only chose to refund us a little less than half of the money that we had to contribute, and only because that was the money we were forced to pay in order to maintain our tickets the last time the cost went up. We still have thousands of dollars held up in tickets we may never be able to use. Always get fully refundable tickets from this airline, do not accept their Disney dollars, and do not give them the opportunity to screw you. They do not care about their customers, and after I take this flight some time in the next few years, whenever my family is financially able to, I will never fly with them again. If they would have refunded us the first few times we tried, I would happily fly with them again, but their terrible customer service and lack of respect for the situations many of their passengers find themselves in during these uncertain times leaves me furious and defeated. I hope to never have to deal with this airline ever again, and I am not looking forward to flying with them for my mandatory trip to get rid of my points that I cannot get back.
RouteNew York to Auckland via Los Angeles
Date FlownMarch 2022

"I will avoid this airline again"

Trip Verified | Return tickets for economy (Perth/Auckland) $2400. Expensive because they are the only ones that fly direct on this route. Seats are very narrow and hard to get into. Even though this is almost 8 hour flight you will have to pay extra for any food, drinks and entertainment. I will avoid this airline again and use Jetstar which is cheaper and has the same add on features if you wish to pay extra.
RouteAuckland to Perth
Date FlownMay 2022

"allowed us to pay the online price"

Trip Verified | We were unable to add luggage via the website. While adding bags at the airport would usually incur a higher cost, the staff allowed us to pay the online price - which was greatly appreciated.
RouteQueenstown to Christchurch
Date FlownMay 2022

"Very good service service"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Very good service service, sandy Cornish was outstanding. Meals we had selected were not available, she went all the way to see that we got our selected meals. We appreciate such dedicated staff in Air New Zealand.
RouteSingapore to Auckland
Date FlownApril 2022

Air New Zealand customer review

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Flew in comfort on Boeing 787 and felt more refreshed & hydrated after the flight. Not all business class seats had overhead locker, so I had to put my bag under the ottoman opposite my seat. The seat leather/ottoman isn't that soft, but provided good recline. Having seat sideways gave easy view to passenger(s) on the right, so privacy isn't maximum. The service may be a bit get-it-out-of-the-way at times, but the professionalism & courteousness was excellent. Some staff very proactive into going their way to help passenger. The food/beverage choices were diverse. Flavours sometimes weren't strong enough though. Lighting can be improved with more colours. The quietness of cabin was nice, but bizarrely despite being at front of airplane turbulence's effect was still very clearly felt. Overall a pleasing flight.
RouteAuckland to Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2022

"Covid is no excuse for this pathetic lack of service"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Air New Zealand simply offers the worst customer service I have ever experienced. The are understaffed and unable to answer their phones or reply to any queries. Covid is no excuse for this pathetic lack of service. When you get through you are then put on hold again and they don’t come back to you or they cut you off.
RouteAuckland to Queenstown