Air New Zealand

"total disappointment"

Not Verified | Brisbane to Auckland. Once again a total disappointment from the lack of care to the second rate seats. The staff are rude and unprofessional drinking a can of coke as they welcome you on board to the lack of smiles. The total lack of please and thank you. The sign to stop evoucher customers in to the forum lounge was the icing on the cake. All I can say is hopeless.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland

"Truly disappointing"

Not Verified | Singapore to Auckland on 26th Dec. My Wife requested on the screen for a set of toothbrush, waited for more than 10 minutes. After which, she called for the flight attendant. Within 10s, staff shoved the set of toothbrush from the back in a rude manner without saying a word. On our return flight from Auckland, it was the same FA again who rudely walk past my Wife holding onto a jug of water and ignored her request for it. Then there was another FA who gave everybody in front, behind and beside us ice-cream but chose to ignore us. And when I called for the flight attendant on the screen, it was ignored as well. We waited for another good half an hr before another flight attendant came on with a basket of leftovers asking people for a second serving, then we received our ice creams. I seriously do not understand how such service would justify for a Best Airline award. This would be the first and last time that I would take Air New Zealand. Truly disappointing!
RouteAuckland to Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"cannot speak highly enough"

Not Verified | The experience from Norfolk Island to Sydney was amazing. Ground crew at both ends made my day travelling with my 90 year old aunt so easy. I cannot speak highly enough. Thanks to all concerned.
RouteNorfolk Island to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Disappointing change for the worst"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Auckland. Disappointing change for the worst. The decision to change marketing of your seats/tickets on the basis of seat cost and separate extra charges for food, drinks, and entertainment is appalling. Only the discount airlines such as Jetstar and virgin employ this type of ticketing and are transparent about it. Obviously, Air New Zealand has lost its image as a premium airline to resort to this type of non transparent marketing. This situation was highlighted when we travelled over Christmas 2019, when four of our Family members visited Australia. We were very disappointed with the flight and service. We were not made aware of the extras required when booking our flights and therefore had no food, drinks and entertainment as expected. After paying $700 plus each we expected full service, not just a seat. On his separate return flight to NZ, my Brother experienced a terrible and uncomfortable flight with no cabin air conditioning. When he asked flight staff about the situation, they were uncaring and unfriendly. The baggage check in policy has also changed, and is so unfair, as each passenger is allowed 1x23kg bag. Two of us had one (1) bag each and my 9 year old Daughter had two (2) small bags with a combined weight of 17kg - well below the allowable 23kg. Total combined weight of all check in baggage was 64kg - below the allowable 69kg. No consideration or attempt was made to assist only a demand to pay a $160 fee. Air New Zealand staff Immediately demanded payment of $160 for this situation, and then an additional $160 as one of the other bags was 1.6kg overweight. Your staff were unfriendly, arrogant, and not prepared to offer any solution until one of the male staff members came to our rescue and was willing to help with our problem. Other reputable airlines do not treat check in baggage in this way. They are prepared to look at the situation make allowances using combined weight if there is a problem. Based on our experience, we will fly Qantas in future, not Air New Zealand. We have used the discount airlines such as Jetstar and Virgin Pacific in the past and had a far better experience and paid a lot less for the flight.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"they do need to fine tune the minor details"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Wellington. My first domestic flight in New Zealand and so far so good. Check in was done online and all I had to do was go through security after getting my physical boarding pass in the terminal. After a mediocre lounge visit, boarding was on time with followed my departure. The cabin crew were super friendly, with lots of smiles. The cabin needed further cleaning as I spotted crumbs on seats during boarding. Catering were cheese and crackers including a choice of beverage, nothing to elaborate on. The biggest downfall in my opinion was not having headphones for the IFE, I guess you can't win everything. Overall, it was a decent offering from Air NZ but I think they do need to fine tune the minor details that can make a good flight, great.
RouteAuckland to Wellington
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"never be flying them again"

Not Verified | Christchurch to Brisbane. Paid over $700 for a ticket, didnt get an option for a drink other than a water or coffee, didn't even come with an inflight meal for a 5 hour flight and again let me stress this .. a $700 ticket! Service was terrible, the attendants didn't seem to want to be there or a give a dam about any of the customers on the plane. I will never be flying them again.
RouteChristchurch to Brisbane
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"rude, tired, disrespectful and cold"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to San Francisco via Auckland. Having chosen ANZ as my carrier of choice for many years sadly I won’t ever again. Having bid for an upgrade to Skycouch and told my $$$ bid success rate was excellent, then at the last minute being told I was unsuccessful myself and my wife and 14 month were somewhat disappointed. However we understood. The flight was to quote the Auckland rep “totally Chocka” and therefore he couldn’t sit us together. Fair enough. I am in seat 58k my wife with the bassinet is in 30 something. Do you think anyone was interested in helping us juggle a baby, eating and sleeping? No! The staff onboard (bar one) were rude, tired, disrespectful and cold. Being in your company for 12 hours I want to feel welcome. Me and my Family didn’t. We felt like an unwanted nuisance. For this reason no more money to ANZ.
RouteBrisbane to San Francisco via Auckland
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"the flight was cancelled"

Trip Verified | Queenstown to Auckland. As Canadian tourists we have had a number of Air New Zealand flights both international and domestic and until recently were pleased with the service. However, on Dec. 7 flooding blocked the bridges and we were unable to get to Christchurch for a flight to Auckland. We then booked a flight from Queenstown to Auckland for Dec 8. We received an email in the morning on Dec 8 that our flight was cancelled because of "operational requirements". We were able to book a flight for Dec 9 but went to the Airport that morning explore whether there were any flight options for Dec 8. We were told by Air New Zealand officials that the flight was cancelled due to weather. Surprisingly no other Air New Zealand flights from Queenstown were cancelled that day. We were also told by the Air NZ official that the outage would have meant that the incoming flight we would have taken would have been delayed by 3 hours and was subsequently cancelled. We have since been trying to get some compensation from Air NZ on the basis that: the passengers on our flight (NZ 622) were discriminated against in that the flight was cancelled rather than simply delayed; that the cancellation was the result of the lack of an appropriate contingency plan; and that we would have been happy with a 3 hour delay which would not have resulted in significant incremental costs to us (additional hotel night, additional car rental, meals etc). Air New Zealand has rejected our appeal and denied our request to provide us with the name and email address of a government agency regulating the air industry to which we would be able to complain.
RouteQueenstown to Auckland

"The worst crew service"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Taipei to Christchurch via Auckland. The worst crew service I have seen. The cabin staff seemed to be completely untrained. Impolite treatment of guests, there is no right to choose the food you like. To reduce costs by sacrificing guests' rights, Not worthy to take this airline.
RouteTaipei to Christchurch via Auckland
Date FlownDecember 2019

"their service has slipped"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Sydney to Auckland. My ticket was for The works. The meals options were lamb, chicken and pasta. This aircraft was quite small but they ran out of lamb. Flight attendants forgot to hand out food to couple of passengers after asking them what option they would like. Food was served 45 minutes for landing. Also, when a senior gentleman asked for a blanket, flight attendant bluntly said I dont know where it is stored. After 30 minutes she came with a blanket. I always fly with Air \new Zealand but recently their service has slipped.
RouteSydney to Auckland