Air New Zealand

"reputation is sliding downhill"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Wellington to Hamilton. Engineering problems meant that our flight was cancelled 10 minutes before boarding. The airline had an awful lot of engineering issues and delays during the afternoon. I question this reasoning and wonder whether we were cancelled due to the plane not being full? First strike disappointment regarding the transparency of communications. Second strike was being transferred to the last trip of the day to another destination via a txt. Thanks for thinking of me but you could've transferred to a flight that actually landed in my home town. Having to collect bags again, check in again, go through security screening again and wait again for a flight that is delayed again! Anyway horrendous trip home via Auckland and bus to Hamilton. A trip where we were meant to be home by 7.45pm refreshed for work the next day turned into an 11.45pm exhausted mess. I thought this only happened with the likes of Jetstar not Air NZ. Air New Zealand reputation is sliding downhill. I will end on a positive. The counter staff in the Koru Lounge were helpful and the bus driver was amazing, smooth drive home thank you.
AircraftBombadier Q300
RouteWellington to Hamilton
Date FlownOctober 2018

"legroom was good"

Trip Verified | London to Los Angeles return in November 2015. The staff were friendly and helpful. The legroom was good (not great, but who has great legroom economy these days?) I am 6'4" (195 cm) and felt pretty comfortable. The entertainment system was awesome with lots of movies and shows to choose from. The real kicker with Air New Zealand is that you can order drinks and snacks throughout your flight after the main meal.
RouteLondon to Los Angeles
Date FlownNovember 2015

"attendants were super helpful"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Raratonga return. I came to write this review because when I was looking for positive reviews on this airline I couldn't find many great ones and none from the route I was flying. We did economy regular and were comfortable on our long haul 10 hour overnight flight. The attendants were super helpful and concerned with comfort and safety. My bf had an injured foot and was wearing a boot and they even upgraded us on one of the routes. Entertainment and food were great too. Plane wasn't too big, but big enough and it was def one of the newer ones. One thing I wouldn't recommend if you're over 5' is getting the sky couch. I watched folks wish they could fully extend their legs. I wouldn't do it unless I had little kids with me or if i was by myself. I hope this helps anyone on the fence.
RouteRaratonga to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"expect this flight to be cancelled"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Whangarei. Have come to expect this flight to be cancelled, the reason I pay so much (nearly $200) for this 40 minute flight is so it takes 40 minutes. Plane was cancelled again today and had to take the bus replacement. This probably wouldn't be so bad if there was some sort of refund considering a bus doesnt cost $200 per person for a 3 hour ride. Seems like revenue gathering at the slightest hint it might rain.
RouteAuckland to Whangarei

"extraordinarily bad seating"

Trip Verified | Christchurch to Sydney. Cabin Manager had her birthday on the day we flew so champers all 'round plus it was my 60th so a lot of fun. Sadly let down by extraordinarily bad seating, the seats are a nightmare for people with lower back issues and I was almost crying from pain by the time we landed. Could never fly longer than a trans-Tasman route with them. I can only recommend the airline based on their crew, I would warn against the airline if you have any sort of issue with your back.
RouteChristchurch to Sydney
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"this is absolutely indecent"

Trip Verified | Trans-Tasman flight on an A320 in economy. Rating 1 out of 10 for the nice cabin crew, the rest is worth 0/10. Seats are crammed so tightly that physically being able to sit is not obvious when you are 6ft3. Compared with Virgin Australia's 737 cabin, this is absolutely indecent. Then there's the service, if you can call it that. Don't forget that this is a full price airline, yet you don't get any food or snacks unless you pay extra. Want to check in your luggage? Pay extra. Want to use the IFE to watch a movie? Pay extra (!). For your Trans-Tasman trips, fly with VA or Qantas or even Jetstar, they're better value and infinitely more enjoyable than this parody of a bad airline.
RouteSydney to Christchurch

"Low cost services"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Honolulu. Low cost services at full price, that's all I can say. We did buy our tickets last minute (due to a cancellation with another airline) and they were very expensive, and all they included was the seat and bags. No food service whatsoever on an 8 and a half hour flight. You could purchase snacks on board, however for the price we paid, we would not have expected this budget airline style behavior from a Star Alliance member airline. Moreover, even though we were supposed to fly on the Boeing 787, the flight was on a very old (Singapore Airlines decommissioned) Boeing 777 with an antique entertainment system (to be fair the website did warn us about this fact before ticket purchase). Other than that, legroom was fine and the seats were as you would expect from a very old 777: not that comfortable, but tolerable.
RouteAuckland to Honolulu

"lacking common sense"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Christchurch to San Francisco via Auckland. I was to fly on the 14 July from Christchurch (NZ558) to Auckland at 4PM and from Auckland to San Francisco (NZ8). I arrived at the airport at 1.30PM which is early for a domestic flight only to see that my flight was cancelled. I then proceeded to the information counter and told the staff at the counter that my flight was cancelled. They then checked the computer and told me that the 3PM and 5PM flight to Auckland was full. After 10 minutes they tell me that they would put me on a 3PM flight from Christchurch to Wellington and then a 4.30 flight from Wellington to Auckland. In hindsight, I managed to get to Auckland in time to catch the flight to San Francisco but what would have happened if I did not get to the airport early? Why wasn't I informed of the cancellation? On the return flight AirNZ managed to screw up my flight once again. I was on NZ7 from SFO to Auckland (arrive at auckland at 5.45.am) and on a 8AM flight from Auckland to Christchurch. Instead AIrNZ had cancelled the 8AM flight and put me on a 7AM flight. How does one land at 5.45am clear customs and immigration and drop of luggage to make a 7AM flight? Again in this instance, I was not informed, not told of the cancellation of the 8 AM flight, and even if the flight was cancelled would it be common sense to put me on a later flight after 8AM from Auckland to Christchurch rather than an earlier flight? Lacking common sense and logical thinking here AirNZ, shame on you.
RouteChristchurch to San Francisco via Auckland
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Top class services"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Flew Air New Zealand from Auckland to Tokyo. Top class services, tasty lunch and breakfast, high resolution screens, On demand food and drinks, comfortable seats, high quality cushion and blanket. An airline for five star upgrade.
Aircraft787-9
RouteAuckland to Tokyo

"toilet was dreadful"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Singapore to Auckland. First time on the Boeing 787 and the new economy seat was well designed. Everything has been throught off even down to the headphone jack and USB socket being up under the screen instead of being on the armrest so you don't get the cable caught up in your blanket when fidgeting around. There an electric socket for plug-in items down below. Entertainment system was good, crystal clear screen just like a tablet and simple to use. Just not the massive selection of movies and programs other airlines have unfortunately. Foods were good for both of supper and breakfast and you get a proper size mug when you have hot drink. Crews were helpful and nice. Only bad thing that let the experience down was the toilets, the one time I went to use towards the end of the flight was dreadful. Obviously not checked and cleaned often enough. They smelt pretty bad with dirty floor. I personally waited until we landed.
RouteSingapore to Auckland