Air New Zealand

"completely ignored its customers"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Never before flown with an airline that completely ignored its customers. Despite severe delays that caused us to miss our flight to Los Angeles, the staff on the flight showed no desire to try to help us. They were rude and arrogant when we talked to them. The staff at the information desk did give us a hotel room, but not once did they apologize for the delay and the day we now miss at the destination. Will never recommend anyone to fly with Air New Zealand.
RouteWellington to Auckland
Date FlownNovember 2022

"you may not receive a refund or hear anything"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | My recent flights with Air New Zealand, for work and personal, have been relatively easy, service was good, only slightly delayed. The fares, however, vary enormously. My advice is to book well ahead. However, this complaint is about a flight I did not take from Christchurch to Wellington on July 17, for work. It was canceled at the last minute because of Covid. Because my meeting was scheduled for that morning, I could not take a later flight. The service person at the airport was very helpful. I later tried to claim a refund online for my seat reservations and advised of the cancelation (the booking was done through my work, which has also been trying to get in touch to claim the refund). Now, I completely understand that Air New Zealand has been facing ongoing severe problems because of the pandemic. But it would be good to get a refund or even to be able to contact the airline. Wait times for the call centre apparently are up to five hours. I emailed them and received a reply one month after the cancelation to apologize for the delay. Since then, neither myself or my workplace have heard anything. A warning to passengers: If your flight gets canceled through no fault of your own, you may not receive a refund or hear anything. This is deplorable. Air New Zealand customer for 50 years.
RouteWellington to Christchurch
Date FlownNovember 2022

"not expecting this from Air NZ"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Going from Auckland I was on premium economy no complaints about that every thing was very good. On my return I was sitting in economy and I was hoping will be very good service specially when you fly long haul flight but everything is was opposite. Food very ordinary, after serving special food al most after 30 minutes later they come with drinks. We have received 2 meals so in my first meal I ate my food couldn't wait for drinks but in breakfast i though I wait for drinks then start my breakfast. By the time i have received the drinks including tea all my meals were cold. Secondly they are very slow in serving meals. The earphones are very cheap. Overall I was not expecting this from Air NZ. Hopefully they will read the review and try to maintain their quality of service in future.
RouteAuckland to Singapore
Date FlownNovember 2022

"bumped to Economy with United"

Not Verified | In May 22 I booked, very deliberately a direct flight Auckland to San Francisco. 3 days before the flight I was informed the direct flight was not happening, my choice to fly the same day was via LAX. Although I paid a business class flight I would be bumped to Economy with United for the LAX SFO flight. So no big deal you say. But take into consideration one of the busiest hubs in the world, customs, security , pick up bags, drop bags off, travel by bus to the other terminal wait 3 hours in transit, its not the premium and easy trip I paid for. Same issue on return. It was no small thing at 69 to pay extra to avoid these issues, have a comfortable flight , minimise time spent in transit and definitely avoid LAX. And a last minute change making it too costly and difficult to make alternative plans.
RouteBrisbane to San Francisco
Date FlownNovember 2022

"doing us a favour by showing up"

Not Verified | Boarding was due to start 8:10. Flight time 8:40. The captain strolled in to airport gate around 8:50. Unapologetic and acting like doing us a favour by showing up.
RouteMelbourne to Auckland
Date FlownNovember 2022

"interest in passengers non existent"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Personal interest in passengers non existent. Gone from being best airline to the absolute worst. Not sure why we even book codee share through this airline. Would not honour vouchers into the Lounge, even though we had booked and paid through the Air NZ website and Premium Economy. Flight was code share with Singapore Airlines but even though it was all booked and paid to Air NZ - they didn't want to know.
AircraftBoeing 777-300R
RouteAuckland to Singapore
Date FlownNovember 2022

"Do NOT ignore your customers"

Not Verified | I am appalled by their lack of customer service. I purchased an Air New Zealand flight through E-dreams back in May 2021. The flight unfortunately had to be cancelled due to border entry restrictions due to the covid outbreak. I have, from July last year, to present day been fighting to get my money back, all 1900 euros of it! I contacted E-dreams, they tell me they are waiting for the refund from Air NZ, I contact Air NZ, they tell me E-dreams holds my money!! I now have an email proof from E-dreams to say that they are still awaiting a refund from Air NZ, which I have now sent to the customer service department, but I doubt I will get any answers because they blatantly ignore all emails I send!! If you are selling your flights through a scam company then you are just as much responsible for fighting our case because the flight (your companies flight) was booked in good faith and the matter of the refund needs to be sorted!! Do NOT ignore your customers!!
RouteSingapore to Christchurch
Date FlownDecember 2021

"below standard of an international flight"

Not Verified | The meals were well below standard of an international flight. Menu had two options for hot cakes and scrambled egg but by the time they reached the middle of the aircraft they only had the one option. They don’t provide you drinking water with the meal. The stewardesses are rude and unwelcoming. The inflight entertainment is limited. The seat is uncomfortable and doesn’t recline. There are no foot rests.
RouteSydney to Wellington
Date FlownOctober 2022

"lost/misplaced my luggage"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | It is incredibly frustrating after a 24 hour plus connected flight and then landing at Auckland from Sydney for the last leg just to find out they somehow lost/misplaced my luggage on the 25th and till now i haven’t got my luggage back after being told that they found it, and that it will be delivered to my address. I haven’t heard anything since, no confirmation or reply to my emails, when the website clearly says I can expect daily updates from them. Calling the baggage services is also a nightmare as you could be waiting on the phone up to 3 hours for someone to decide to pick it up, but so far, i have not had enough time to do that, and only able to wait an hour and nearly 12 minutes before my own life has to take over for other things. Since then, after several calls, including customer service staff who said they cannot help me, nor patch my call through to baggage services, I have not had a satisfactory answer or satisfactory service from Air New Zealand and I am feeling very unimportant. As a last resort after doing their internal survey, which apparently was not even being monitored, i also emailed their feedback team, and i got an automatic response that I might get a response from them in 6-8 weeks no less! Unreal!
RouteSydney to Auckland
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"we were messed around"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Was not seated with my partner whom we booked our flight together on the whole way back to Christchurch from Rarotonga. And our flight Auckland to Christchurch was canceled and we were messed around getting to hotel for the overnight stay.
RouteRarotonga to Christchurch via Auckland