Air New Zealand

"I was selected to be downgraded"

Not Verified | Auckland to San Francisco. I was told at boarding that there was a change from the 777 300 to the 777 200 so my paid Business 3A seat was cancelled and I was now in premium economy. I was not told why I was selected to be downgraded. I had no choice but to board or to offload. Premium economy passengers were moved to economy for several business passengers to go to premium economy. If I’m in seat 3A and the plane holds less passengers in business, then shouldn’t those in now non-existing seats be moved? Someone else was sitting in my 3A business class seat. So upset. There was no warning or notice as this was done just at boarding even though they knew this was an issue for hours. Some people didn’t fly at all. I feel sorry for those who are on the return flight who will suffer the same shock. Bad bad bad air NZ!
AircraftBoeing 777 200
RouteAuckland to San Francisco
Date FlownNovember 2019

"not many alternatives"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Adelaide. Full flight in economy and premium economy, but Business had a few empty seats. Staff in business class was attentive and friendlyt. Service level is usually not the problem with Air NZ. The business class seat is still probably one of the worst hardware in the industry for its price. Facing away from the window, seat is harder than most of the business seats, also the seat is not spacious enough, i am 185cm tall and i was unable to fully stretch my legs. The entertainment system and hardware is showing a bit of age, as most other airlines are starting to have similar size screens for premium economy and economy sometimes. Also i dont understand why did Air NZ install the screen on the side of the seat, which means the passenger cant really watch the screen during take off and landing? Food was ok, nothing to be excited about. Guess i would still recommend because there are not many alternatives.
RouteAuckland to Adelaide

"Very good service"

Not Verified | Very good service. Had 3 fights in September - October, Gold Coast to Christchurch. Disappointed that Sunday fight has been now discontinued. Gold Coast to Christchurch arrive too late. Bring back a more realistic time schedule.
RouteGold Coast to Christchurch

"I appreciate your care"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | I want to record my thanks and appreciation to the pilot of NZ5123 Auckland to Palmerston North, Thursday 17 Oct 2019 and the two hostesses on duty. Our flight was approx. 30 mins into the journey and returned to AKL, the engineers verified the plane was grounded and we disembarked into the terminal. Despite the disruption and waiting time, a replacement aircraft was located and we reboarded to learn that the two hostesses had agreed to complete their journey with us and spend an unplanned overnight stay in Palmerston North. On arrival the pilot alighted firstly and stood to greet us all on the ground. I appreciate your care in keeping us safe, thank you.
AircraftATR72
RouteAuckland to Palmerston North
Date FlownOctober 2019

"a long but enjoyable trip"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Melbourne via Auckland. My wife and I were travelling to attend a medical science conference from Toronto and we chose to travel with Air New Zealand because of reasonably good reviews and some feedback from friends. This was the first time we have travelled in Air New Zealand. I was very impressed by the service and the quality of the aircraft. It is understood that the economy seats would be not as comfortable as premium economy or business class as in any airline, but they were acceptable. Each seat has a power outlet which allowed me to do some work during the long flight. The entertainment was good and the screens were good quality. The availability of free wifi through the long flight was a bonus and appreciated. The food was of good quality. The flight attendants were friendly and appeared to enjoy their work and were genuine in their interactions. I was very impressed by Air New Zealand, and I will certainly fly again. Thank you for a long but enjoyable trip.
RouteLos Angeles to Melbourne via Auckland
Date FlownOctober 2019

"We were very disappointed"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Auckland. We travel every year from Auckland to Heathrow return in business class . We stopped using Air New Zealand about 6 years ago due to consistently poor service. In October we decided to book an Air New Zealand flight to see if anything had improved and if they were a viable option for our next trip. We were very disappointed. We flew from Los Angeles to Auckland in a Boeing 777 that had been converted to very cramped herring bone style seats that could be laid flat by the staff but not by the passenger. We were unable to sit together due to the sardine like layout. The few staff were brusque and in fact downright rude. My request for a soft drink and later coffee were denied by angry staff who said they only wanted the meal order . The "supper service" was rushed and the food very average. Not enough water and drinks were available throughout the flight. After the supper service the staff vanished until the breakfast service just before landing. There was one toilet available for a whole cabin full of business passengers. There was nothing "business premium" about the accommodation or the service. I have had more comfortable Economy flights. Feedback has been given via the Air NZ website but there has been no response.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 ER
RouteLos Angeles to Auckland
Date FlownOctober 2019

"the most unpleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Flying with Air New Zealand was the most unpleasant experience that I've ever had with an airline in my many years of travel. I chose to pay much more for a flight to have it direct from Sydney to Rarotonga as I'm pregnant and I want to spend as little time as possible flying. The first flight from Brisbane to Sydney was delayed and it resulted in me losing the next flight from Sydney to Rarotonga. At Sydney airport the staff were very poor in their communication and were completely unwilling to address our dissatisfaction and dismissed us by saying hat they can't do anything about it. They paid for a cheap hotel overnight and said that the food and transport from the airport was on me and would not fund this. They changed my route for the next day from Sydney to aUCKLAND and then Rarotonga. This was all beyond my control. I paid a high price for the best direct route and now had to travelled from the worst as they didn't give any other option. I tried to talk to 3 different people from Air New Zealand and the only thing they said is that they can't do anything about it because delays happen. Interesting is that when it is in the other foot there is no way to answer the same way right? If we need to change a flight after one day of the purchase we already have to pay a crazy fee, we can never be late, we can never complain about anything. If Air New Zealand wanted at least to try to be decent with their clients knowing that situation etc the minimum they could do is to offer a upgrade in the flight (as I was utterly exhausted, already lost $1000 in one night's accommodation in the Cook Islands, one whole day of my holiday, car transfer, food, shuttle etc) but not even that. This is disgusting and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone. I will never fly air new Zealand again. I could not be more frustrated. How can a company be so dismissive of a customer that has a genuine complaint and has every right to be upset.
RouteSydney to Auckland
Date FlownOctober 2019

"embarrassment to New Zealand"

Trip Verified | Palmerston North to Wellington. How this awful airline continues to win awards is beyond me! The check in staff are a extremely lacking any form of professionalism or intelligence. The staff onboard are as dated as the aircraft itself which is often dirty and unkept. They give out plastic cups which they fill with $1 bottles of water for goodness sake! Even EasyJet isn’t stooping that low. The airfares are overpriced and the routes are lacking. Overall one of the worse airlines I’ve had the misfortune of using. Absolutely an embarrassment to New Zealand and I feel very sorry for the locals who are forced to use the airline as it’s the only one they have
RoutePalmerston North to Wellington
Date FlownOctober 2019

"lack of allergy-friendly food"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Sydney. My review is about their food service, While booking the flight I looked at their ‘special meals’ as I have an allergy to nuts however found that there is no option for a non-tree nut meal however they said no peanuts are used. While onboard my flight when the food came around I then asked the flight attendant which meal had nuts in it I was then replied with an “I don’t know” I then said I had a nut allergy and she again asked me which meal I wanted without giving me any insight to the ingredients of these meals. I am disappointed and shocked by the lack of concern by the flight attendant as my nut allergy leads to me going into anaphylaxis and the lack of allergy-friendly food options as I was also told by the flight attendant around 5 other people asked about the use of nuts in their food. The website leaves a large grey area of whether or not the food is safe for people with allergies as when it says peanut friendly they leave out all of the tree nuts used. Because I paid for “The Works” under the impression the meals were allergy-friendly I am disappointed in the customer service and lack of knowledge received by the flight attendants.
RouteAuckland to Sydney
Date FlownOctober 2019

"food and service were horrible"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Hong Kong to Auckland. Horrible crew. Hostile and not accomodating. The crew took long time to bring water more than 15 minutes. I told them the family and children behind me was kicking me and bang my head. The chief of the crew said he can't do anything. He went on to say since I am not happy asked me not to fly with Air New Zealand. He was unsympathetic and double standard. He changed the seat of the girl seated by the window as he said she couldn't sleep due to me. The food and service were horrible.
RouteHong Kong to Auckland