Air Malta

"Cabin crew were friendly and welcoming"

Not Verified | Flew LGW to Malta and return in April with Air Malta. Flights both ways were on time and comfortable. Cabin crew were friendly and welcoming. On board snacks to buy were good value. Seat pitch average but not cramped.
AircraftAirbus A320
Routegatwick to malta
Date FlownApril 2019

"no help whatsoever"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Our terrible time with Air Malta started with baggage check-in. We bought our tickets through Expedia and they just said "Economy". Turns out Air Malta has like 5 different ticket types and the one we had didn't have checked baggage. We didn't know this in advance, but whatever, we payed to check-in our luggage. We were traveling as a group of 3 and my friend was in a wheelchair because her leg was broken. She has been in a full cast up to her knee for over a month. On our way to Malta from Israel on flight Air Malta 829 that departed Sunday morning Apr. 14, 2019 at 7 AM, my friend was questioned about her cast, how long she's had it and if she's cleared to fly. We answered all of their questions, told them the cast was a month old and that the doctors cleared her to fly. In the end of this questioning we were all allowed to board and the Israeli ground stewardess even found my friend a row of seats so that she could elevate her leg comfortably. On our way BACK from Malta to Israel on flight Air Malta 828 that departed Friday morning Apr. 18, 2019 at 1 AM, my friend was giving the same round of questions, except that this time they declared she was unfit to fly and that their doctor said it would be very dangerous for my friend to fly with a full cast. It did not help that we told them we flew with there airline 5 days ago and that she was fine (they said that this was a mistake and she should never have been let on the first flight to begin with) or that we had papers (in Hebrew) proving my friend's cast was at least several weeks old - nothing helped. They told us she had to go to a clinic in Malta to get her cast cut so that it was a half (and not full cast) and that we were wasting our time. My 2 traveling companions got in a cab and went to go get the cast cut, in a foreign country where we knew nothing of the healthcare system. This would have been fine, but the clinic they sent us do didn't have the equipment to cut the cast! So that trip was a waste. When we asked what we could do if their own recommendation didn't pan out and they said that my friend would have to stay to get her cast cut at the hospital. We tried to find out from the Maltese Air Malta manager if there would be any kind of compensation since they would not let my fried on the plane - could they transfer her ticket? Book her a hotel for her extra overnight stay? We were given a negative response on both counts and she told us that it was stated clearly in the Air Malta rules that you cannot fly with a full cast (we searched for a while for these alleged rules and couldn't find them, only general airline guidelines that said you shouldn't fly within a few days of getting a cast) so this was our problem. When we tried to find out what else we could do and if we could maybe get the hospital that treated my friend to send an email in English that cleared her to fly, the manager speaking to us was very rude, said she was repeating herself and just walked away. Since the 3rd traveling companion and I could not afford to wait any longer or buy new tickets, we left my friend in a cast, with her wheelchair and crutches, to stay alone overnight and try and book another flight. Air Malta was obviously no help whatsoever. In the end my friend got a doctor's letter in English saying she was cleared to fly, and booked herself a flight back to Israel through another airline company (with a layover in Vienna, so this was not the most convenient flight.
RouteTel Avivito Malta (MLA)
Date FlownApril 2019

"operated by Smartlynx"

Trip Verified | Flight operated as wet lease by Smartlynx (Latvia) having two additional flight attendants from Air Malta on board to overlook the board sales. Ex Lufthansa airplane. Although boarding on time, they had several minor problems, then always new paperwork and of course each time the promise that we will be in the next 10 minutes airborne. Takeoff delay about 1 hour 45 minutes, arrival still 1 hour and 15 minutes. This may happen, but it was the first flight in all my life, that had not only smaller technical problems but as soon as we were airborne also all toilets out of order at once. Not pleasure at all! Would not recommend SmartLynx. Air Malta was so far ok, nothing special but ok. And cheap, so you get what you are paying for.
AircraftA 320
RouteMalta to Zurich
Date FlownMarch 2019

"The service unfriendly"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Malta. The problem started when I tried to book AirMalta on their Website. After 2 days without any success I booked the flights through tripair. No chance to see on air Malta booking page whether the booking existed. Web check in impossible. I finally phoned Malta Air in Malta and they sent boarding passes to my Email address in Vienna. For the return flights the same chaos. I tried the web check in for one hours; always breakdown! Finally the girl on the hotel counter tried it by phone which took another hour (waiting in the line). Then they promised to send the boarding passes to my phone. Did not work! Finally they sent them to the hotel's email and then to my phone! The seat reservation I had made in Vienna was gone. The service unfriendly and on the plane the charged for a cup of tea and a cup of coffee 6€. A real "Malta Experience". They either don't understand the business or just don't care.
RouteVienna to Malta
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"never trust Air Malta again"

Trip Verified | Southend to Catania. A few miles from destination the pilot announced that we could not land to Catania due to Etna eruption and instead we would land in Malta. There are at the least 5 airports nearby Catania (Palermo, Comiso, Trapani, Reggio Calabria, Lamezia Terme). Soon after the captain announced that we would land to Comiso (Sicily) but his lack of experience did not allow him to fight against the winds so he headed to Malta. As soon as we spoke with the Luqa airport Air Malta ground staff and the Info kiosk staff we realized that we would not have any chance to spend our Christmas with our families. Air Malta staff appeared unaware of our redirected flight and was unable to answer our requests for assistance. Malta is connected regularly via ferries and speedy boats to Sicily but the Air Malta staff told us that there would have been an announcement in 20 minutes time. Twenty minutes passed and so 40 and so 1 hour and the staff from the help desk was abandoning their seats till when there was no staff at the front office. Passengers were worried, and we started asking for bottles of water and lunch voucher but they kept saying there would be an announcement in a minutes. We could have been transferred to Sicily by ferry boat or speedy boats but instead Air Malta spending time agreeing a strategy: useless to contact them by phone as the operators were keeping saying that the number was only for reservations. After 5 hours standing up, without drinking nor eating the staff told us to move at the check in desk for the flight to Rome that would land in Catania first. We moved at the check-in desk but the staff at the desk was unaware that would land to Catania and denied us to check in. After other 45 minutes standing up in front of the desk the first passenger received the boarding pass. The flight was planned for 19:00 but I received my boarding pass at around 19:45. The flight was already in extreme delay and the crew was going back and forth counting the passengers on the flight delaying even more the departure. We would have already been in Catania if the flight would have departed on time but Catania Airport shut down again at 9.30 pm. The captain went out from the cabin and called the police to force us to leave the airplane. The situation was unreal: children crying, an adult having a crisis that required the assistance of a doctor, the police shouting against frustrated passengers stressing them even more until when they started forcedly removing our hand luggage. At that point we had no option than return to the terminal. After 3 hours we received our first and only light meal for the Costa Coffee and a hotel accomodation. Nobody wanted to get stuck in Sliema because of lack of transportation (it has not been offered to us) on Christmas day so the majority decided to sleep on the ground or in the seats of the Costa Coffee in the airport. At 5 am we queued at the check-in, we received our boarding pass and we arrived in Comiso at around 8.30 am on Christmas day; from Comiso a shuttle bus brought us to Catania airport, were our parents were waiting for us. We arrived at destination with more than 20 hours delay, we stood up on our feet for more than 8 hours, we did drink for more than 5 hours, we did not eat for more than 9 hours, we will never trust Air Malta again.
RouteSouthend to Catania
Date FlownDecember 2018

"would not recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | First time flying with Air Malta from Frankfurt to Malta and Malta to Berlin TXL using their old A320 and A319. I would say, this airline is worse than low-cost airlines serving the same route. My both flights delayed about 20 minutes. Nevertheless they arrived in-time as scheduled. What I have paid for the ticket was not equal to the service which I got. Drinks and snacks for the economy passengers are for a fee. The seats were dirty. I assume as their Airbus was a lease plane. Hence, I would not recommend this airline to fly to Malta. Better to have a stop-over but good services.
RouteFrankfurt to Malta
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"never fly Air Malta again"

Trip Verified | Rome to Malta. Was charged 90 Euro per bag at check in. There was no mention of an extra charge for checking in a bag and 90 Euro for each bag is just crazy. Will never fly Air Malta again.
RouteRome to Malta
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"I wasn’t impressed"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Malta. I wasn’t impressed with the airline at all. Firstly we were delayed. The airplane itself was 20 years and in bad condition. It however was a wet lease plane so there was no branding inside or any livery on the plane. The staff was weren’t great but weren’t awful, however they were below average. Then on arrival the pilots completely messed up taxiing to the gate. I decided against flying with a LCC as it’s the Xmas period I wanted more of a relaxing and customer friendly flight, none of that is what I received.
RouteGatwick to Malta
Date FlownDecember 2018

"customer care non existent"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Catania. Their customer care is non existent, our plane was diverted from Catania to Malta for unspecified technical problems. 70 people including kids left with no support for 6 hours overnight in an indecent airport, no manager showed up and nobody of their ground crew had an idea of what was going on!
RouteVienna to Catania
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"exception based on nationality"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | This is the worst experience ever! I was flying to London and I only had the hand luggage with me. Before boarding, the girl asked me to check the size of my hand luggage and because it didn’t fit she decided to send it in the back. she asked another person to check the size of his hand luggage and same as me, it didn’t fit. But, the guy refused and he passed with his hand luggage. When I asked the girl why is this guy allowed and I am not, she said ”he has expensive staff in it” I was shocked, I said I have expensive staff as well, i will make a complain, and I want my hand luggage. She refused, saying first, the guy is from Malta and if You keep asking for explanations, she won t let me boarding anymore. I have been travelling with this hand luggage all over the world, and none of the airlines complained about the size! She shouldn’t do exception based on nationality!
RouteMalta to London